Type keyword(s) to search

American Song Contest - General Discussion

• Start Topic

12 hours ago, HighQueenEB said:

Kentucky - I didn't like Jordan Smith on The Voice, so I'm pre-disposed to not like him here.  Well, this is a better inspirational song than Nebraska, so there's that.  I still FFWed through the last 30 seconds of it because, nah.

I never liked him either. *shrug* That said, I had learned he wrote a song I like ("Ashes" sung by Celine Dion, the Deadpool 2 theme), so I was trying to be open to the song itself. I was indifferent to it though.

I forgot about it until I was reading back now, but I remembered country guy ("Let's fire it up!" or whatever his song was). I don't know if it was just me--he was really, really cute--but he did this weird thing with his arm the whole performance, sort of like he was waving a car into the barn or something. He just never stopped doing it. I know it had to be a nervous tic, still I couldn't help cringing, on top of the fact that the song just kept repeating the same words over and over and over and over.

• Love 3
On 3/30/2022 at 5:08 AM, Whimsy said:

Maine- yes. I am not from Maine, but from Massachusetts but he's for sure a try-hard-Portland-hipster.  I did like his song, though.

One of the people I'm rooting for in this competition is Jared Lee, representing Massachusetts. I booked him for a night at a club a dozen years ago and have been following his career ever since. He's AWESOME, and I think he's going to do your state proud!

On 3/29/2022 at 4:30 PM, sharifa70 said:

I live across the river in Washington

And the other person I'm rooting for is Allen Stone, representing Washington. :) I actually met him when I booked him at the same club, come to think of it, and have been following his career since, as well. He is ALSO freaking fantastic, and I'm sure is going to do your state very proud!

• Love 3
4 hours ago, auntiemel said:

And the other person I'm rooting for is Allen Stone, representing Washington. :) I actually met him when I booked him at the same club, come to think of it, and have been following his career since, as well. He is ALSO freaking fantastic, and I'm sure is going to do your state very proud!

I just looked him up and I’m liking what I hear. Thanks for the tip!

• Love 1
(edited)

This link lists all the contestants by state.  I’m VERY excited for my state (NC) to take the stage.  Omg.  Warning, the article describes the contestant, along with a photo.  If you want to be surprised, don’t look.  They are in alphabetical order by state name.   

https://www.goldderby.com/gallery/american-song-contest-2022-participants/american-song-contest-arizona-las-marias/

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 1
(edited)
4 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

This link lists all the contestants by state.  I’m VERY excited for my state (NC) to take the stage.  Omg.  Warning, the article describes the contestant, along with a photo.  If you want to be surprised, don’t look.  They are in alphabetical order by state name.   

https://www.goldderby.com/gallery/american-song-contest-2022-participants/american-song-contest-arizona-las-marias/

The bio for Montana (last week’s country artist with the weird singing posture) randomly describes him as a “Casanova.” I didn’t like his performance last week, and now I reeeeeeaaaaaally don’t like him.

ETA: I just watched tonight’s episode. Sort of. I fast-forwarded most of it: the staging for most of these performances was dreadful (what is with the singers who start out in bed? One last week, another this week (plus one who just started out lying down).

Louisiana sounded okay but I wasn’t crazy about the distracting costume stuff (oh - there were at least four performances that involved singers taking stuff off or having stuff removed from them by dancers).

A couple of performances were indeed live (and off-key). Jewel confuses me: I’m not a fan of that baby voice she uses but when she actually uses her full voice it’s nice. But that song was messy.

The Alabama duo sounded nice but what was with that weird blocking?

All I could think of during Colorado’s performance was “We’re Kids Incorporated - K! I! D! S!”

There really wasn’t anyone from this group I’d want to see again, which is too bad because a couple I might have been interested in giving another chance from last week’s show were eliminated.

Oh, my god, NBC - stop with the swoopy cameras. Or start sending us dramamine. I had to fast-forward a lot just to save my stomach.

Edited by sharifa70
  • LOL 1

This week seemed overall a bit better than last week, but the problem is the acts that are worth watching again aren't the ones that are worth listening to again. The staging is getting better and this lot was infinitely better at understanding that you're not really playing to the people in the room than the first two groups were, but... like, I don't care if Texas has awesome staging if he can't hit a key let alone a note.

There were a few acts I liked tonight (Delaware MUST qualify, Jewel was Jewel, and I really liked Northern Marianas but I'm not getting my hopes up), and naturally the jury ignored all of them to give yet another mediocre White Man Ballad a free pass. Sigh. The lack of genre diversity continues to be a problem with this show, but the biggest killer for me right now is the complete lack of imagination from jurors who are supposed to be leaders in the music industry. If this somehow gets another season (and it's currently basically NBC's most expensive flop since Leno-gate, so probably not), they really need to find a jury that's more diverse in taste as well as background.

• Love 3

Wow, I was surprised Macy didn't make it in and that Enisa didn't even come close to making it despite being one of the better ones... And with "Fire it up!" guy making through, this show is clearly like Idol and The Voice in preferencing country people as well as Southern states; I thought maybe better results would happen since it's in its first season, possibly. No way one of them or Jordan Smith doesn't win, ugh. Feels like a waste of time watching based, but I'm this far in, might as well finish. I'm glad Kansas guy was so high at least, because he had the best song so far to me without a doubt.

The contestants were a little better than the past shows. My favorite was Florida "Flirt", then New Jersey (the pictures song) and Alabama (the duo). Also liked Texas "Mr. Independent" guy, although I think he's a better dancer than singer/songwriter; seems like a JLO type, someone who has star looks and great dancing ability but is only so-so at music. Tennessee was alright, too.

7 hours ago, SnideAsides said:

If it makes it that far. Ratings dropped ~30% during the show this week. 1.8m for the first hour (roughly consistent with last week), down to 1.35m for the second hour.

That might have had something to do with Kansas' come-from-15-points-down-at-halftime win over UNC last night...  Meanwhile, I just decided to watch it 24 hours later, lol.

I assume NBC will finish out the run - but it won't be renewed, for sure.

Yup, I was right that Virginia & New York were too similar and would split support.  Thank God the voters hated Oregon's try-hard-hipsters.  Oh, thank God North Dakota made it in!  She was good and deserves a spot in the semi-finals.  Hmmm...  I didn't care for Kansas last week, but I'll trust that the rap/hip-hop fans here know better than me and he's good.  Told y'all that Montana was going to make it.  Very surprised that Macy Gray wasn't moved on ahead to the semi-final.  Not sad that the other Portland try-hard-hipsters from Maine also didn't make it through.

Oh, tonight is a southern night...  And I see that Kelly gave some sort of peace offering to her stylist.  She's sparkly but this is her best look yet.  Kelly can probably do better with her bribes, er peace offerings, to her stylist, though.

Texas - "Oh, we're not all country!"  And I just can't with this guy whose song is titled "Mr. Independent."  Pretty sure we already know that Texas isn't all country since MISS Independent reminds us that she's from Texas every chance she gets and she's definitely not made her mark on the music world by being a country star.  And, then she reminds us of her song...  And pretends that she's not perving on him.  I have no opinion on the song itself or the staging because that obvious pandering is a full stop for me.

Louisiana - wait...  her fluff piece has a proposal from her boyfriend.  Oh, this doesn't really bode well for her actual song.  I like her voice.  The song itself is rather repetitive, but I'm intrigued by her.  Please let's move her on through to the semi-finals.

Tennessee - this song is like every other country song that reflects on youth and early adulthood.  The only problem is that while it has a great intro and hook, it goes nowhere and it's not nearly as great of a song as, say, Kenny Chesney's "Young".  Just sayin'.  If this is ranked higher than Louisiana by the jury then that will only confirm the jury is composed of everything that is wrong with the US music industry in general.

Jewel's son is wearing the native buffalo-plaid flannel of Alaska.  He should save that shirt and send it to Anchorage native Keegan Messing's son to wear when he grows up to become the Canadian Men's figure skating champion.  Sorry for that brief diversion to figure skating snark, my other passion in life.

New Jersey - figure skating snark drew my attention away from her fluff piece.  Oh, off-key to start.  And she's stripping off her robe to show off her body as a distraction from her awful voice.  She probably needs to take off the jacket too.  FFW through the rest...  The jury sucks.  Tennessee is in the lead and New Jersey is 3rd with Louisiana bringing up the rear so far.  America also sucks.  Tennessee's song was not good.

Alabama - "Oh, we're not all country!" part 2!  I mean, yeah, I get it and know it, but why are we treating America like we're stupid about this?  Is America this stupid?  Okay, maybe we are since I did just remind myself that currently Tennessee's song is getting the most popular votes.  Yeesh.  DaNI - so, singing in a breathy voice doesn't really conceal that you're off-key.  COlton is the voice that's saving this duo.  They don't harmonize badly.  Eh...  With better singers, that song could be good.

Florida - this is like Ava Max-lite.  Not nearly catchy enough to make it on pop radio.  But, she'll probably get through.  Of course the jury loves her.  Still sad that Louisiana is dead last.

Alaska - Jewel.  Of course she's on her family's homestead.  Clearly this fluff piece was filmed last summer because that is not what Alaska looks like during the winter, lol.  Now, THAT is a professional songwriter who understands how lyrics and music work together to build and grow to a climax.  She needs to make it to the semi-finals.  I have zero hope of that happening though based on the jury ranking, though.

South Carolina - Oh, kid, buildings from the early 1900s are not THAT old or historic.  Maybe even go visit Charleston to see some buildings that are at least a couple hundred years old, mmkay?  Pass.  I know this is, allegedly, a songwriting contest, but I can't handle performers who are off-key.

South Dakota - Hoos, Haus, it all means 'house' right?  So, what's the difference between Minnesota and South Dakota?  Not much.  I mean, sure, South Dakota has Mt Rushmore and Minnesota has 10,000 lakes, but still...  Well, they are better than Minnesota's Yam Haus group.  But, we already have a rocker girl from North Dakota, so we really don't need a rock group from South Dakota in the semi-finals.

Delaware - you're not the only state that doesn't have sales tax.  If Delaware and New Jersey combined into one state then you would have Oregon on the east coast with no sales tax and gas station attendants to pump your gas.  Make that happen and maybe people will stop asking "Dela-where?"  She's a better version of Louisiana from earlier tonight.  I'd be fine if she made it through since Louisiana definitely isn't.  Yeah, Snoop, I can buy the Grace Jones comparison.  

Northern Mariana Islands - very cool island vibe song.  I'll be shocked if he makes it to the semi-finals.  

Colorado - tropical pop?  So, he's frontman for a sibling band, but they're presenting him as a solo artist.  Okay, then.  I don't hate the song but those pants he's wearing...  Yes, I judge.  You know, this guy and this song are halfway there to what Eurovision is but way too earnest.  If only he could just cut loose and truly embrace the flamboyance of Eurovision in all its cheesy glory.  

I can't believe Tennessee was the jury pick.  Looking at the top 5-6...  Florida is for sure moving on.  Delaware ain't.  Neither is Jewel.  We're probably going to be stuck with Texas and Alabama, but I'm going to hope that Colorado can pip past one of those two and maybe take the performance level up several notches in the semis and be all that we need this show to be rather than a pale, sad imitation of Eurovision.  New Jersey better not get in is all I'm saying.  She was one of the few I FFWed through because her song and singing was wretched.

• Love 2

Heat 4: Arizona, Georgia, Hawaii, Massachusetts, Nevada, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, Utah, Washington, Washington DC, and West Virginia. (They appear to be using WA for both Washingtons on the graphics, which is... going to be confusing.)

That means Heat 5 is American Samoa, California, Guam, Idaho, Illinois, Maryland, Michigan, Missouri, New Mexico, North Carolina, and Vermont.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
(edited)
12 hours ago, SnideAsides said:

Heat 4: Arizona, Georgia, Hawaii, Massachusetts, Nevada, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, Utah, Washington, Washington DC, and West Virginia. (They appear to be using WA for both Washingtons on the graphics, which is... going to be confusing.)

That means Heat 5 is American Samoa, California, Guam, Idaho, Illinois, Maryland, Michigan, Missouri, New Mexico, North Carolina, and Vermont.

Kind of weird to have two clumps of states together for round 4. I live on the border of UT/AZ/NV, like the high school building is in Utah but the field behind it is AZ and NV is less then 5 minutes on the other side. Thne you have MA/NH (where southern NH to some is like part of MA) and then PA. I would assume there is overlaps with rooting for home states if people are doing that? and should be overlaps in stories and styles

I have not been to impressed so far. I have not seen a stand out act. I was kind of lookign at it as who would I want to see in person like the American idol tour, like 10 acts singing in a show. In this case I would like a variety so acts like the guy from the islands, or at least one band/group,to give some variety. 

I also do not like them showing who is ahead the whole time and having it be on another time zone for some or streaming later for others. 

Edited by silverspoons
  • Love 3
(edited)
12 hours ago, silverspoons said:

Kind of weird to have two clumps of states together for round 4

It's been like this for all five heats. First heat had most of the Midwest and the OK/AR/MS block, heat 2 was basically "can you drive here from Wyoming or West Virginia?", this week had almost literally the entire Gulf Coast plus Tennessee and South Carolina.

I'm assuming that after they split up the five Headline Acts and the six territory/DC acts into different heats, the rest were divided to ensure a variety of genres etc (not that you could tell from how blandly similar most of them have been), but even then it's a bit odd, especially because Eurovision Mothership explicitly uses a World Cup-style random pot draw to stop, for instance, all of Scandinavia ending up in the same semi final. After the final heat I might try and see if I can divide them into heats in a less geographically dull fashion. If I'm still watching.

Edited by SnideAsides
  • Love 1

Week 4 rehearsals.

I really wanted Arizona to do well - there was a YouTube compilation a few weeks ago that had other work from all 56 acts as a "here's what you might be able to expect" kind of thing, and they were like one of the two unknowns who felt like they could hold a candle to the really famous names - but even aside from the mediocrity the jury is rewarding, that staging is probably getting them last place in this semi. Someone pointed this out on Twitter before, but all the ballady country acts are getting really inventive staging, but literally all of the Latinx acts so far have had this pink colour scheme that looks awful on television, and Arizona is no different.

I'm hoping Arizona or Nevada get the automatic qualification, but I'm fully bracing myself for it to be yet another white dude with a ballad. Sigh.

• Love 2

I didn't like anyone from last night's show, tbh. Georgia came the closest, but I think she'll get screwed over just like Florida and New Jersey were. I wish Jewel had taken up one of the four spots from the previous show if somebody was going to knock Florida out rather than Riker, ugh. At least the Alabama duo and Texas guy made it through. I was not a bit surprised when another White guy with a guitar was immediately declared safe. That's happened every single time other than Jordan Smith. The Jury needs to get better taste. Of course America gets it wrong constantly, but they should do better; only the guy at the end of the first episode deserved the Jury's #1 vote so far. Tennessee guy was deserving of top four of his week, but #1? I don't think so.

So far we have three people who made it through to the next round that I don't like--Jordan, Riker, weird '70s-ish White guy that ended the show last night. At least Michael Bolton had good vocals and his song was decent even if I felt the only reason he got into the top four off was name value.

This is getting almost unwatchable (saying this as someone who gives every show a chance and keeps the TV on for background noise 24/7).

Snoop stop singing before they annouce each person going through or the jury results, it is annoying. 

Kelly, who is picking out your clothes? 

Plus I wish the contestants could say intros about their state they write. I cant believe these people have control over the intros. There is more to states then the weather, monuments, and a few very famous places. I would like to see something significant to the person and maybe a little unknown .  I agree with PP (and I live in Utah, but not born here) it was cringy and really off in 2022, or that girl is living in a bubble suburb . Eastern Idaho is more Mormon than any city in Utah now.  I felt like th AZ twins story had too many details and might hurt them. I have a hard time believeing MA was number 1 so long, there was nothing wow about it. NH was not my tatse in song but at least the performance was memorible.  I could not believe that Washington singer won the night. #1-2 were the two worst to me. 

Have they explained how much the jury vote counts and how much America's vote counts, like is it 50/50 or 10/90. It seems like no one lower then 6 by the jury has made it through. Either the jury has more weight in the vote or people are influenced by it. I also did not understand and I was a stats major, the graph that Utah was ahead of TN last week and in that graph ahead of everyone else tonight (so far) yet she was 6th? 

Hello - tuning in 24 hours later to gift y'all with my snarky take on this week's offerings.  American Song Contest, you are no Eurovision, and it saddens me.  So, let's see who made it through...  But first...  Oh, Kelly, stop pissing your stylist off.  This is tragic.  She might be the only part of this show that is authentically Eurovision-y.  Ohhhh, and Colorado if he can go full-on Eurovision campy with his song in the semi-finals.  I'm already spoiled by comments above so I know I'm annoyed that Alabama and Texas made it through, but whatever.  I dunno...  Which is worse?  Snoop's tracksuit or Kelly's metallic off-the-shoulder, belted muumuu?

First up...  New Hampshire.  These are wigs she's wearing, right?  Yeah, we can tell you love looking different.  It's a shame you don't love looking stylish.  Whomever made this dress she's wearing should have bought an extra half yard of fabric for the skirt.  And, I say this as a big woman who has done plenty of sewing for big girls.  This dress would be so much better if the skirt didn't end on her buttcheek but came around and ended on her hip.  The song is okay.  Fairly traditional inspirational power ballad.  She might make it through.  Yeah, I could see Kelly recording that song and turning it into a hit.

Nevada gets no fluff piece intro?  Ouch.  Quite the pyrotechnic staging...  I have no words.  I mean, it seemed fine for the genre but it's a genre I'm very unfamiliar with, so yeah...

Utah...  How much did the Utah Tourism Board pay for this fluff piece?  Getting a very Mormon vibe off of her.  Well, no, she's not wrong about country music today lacking women.  Blame the industry pros.  Oh, this song is not going to make her a force in today's country music.  Her voice isn't as strong as powerhouses like Reba, Martina, Trisha or Faith, and if this is her strongest songwriting effort...  Well, she's no Miranda, Taylor, or Hillary (Scott of Lady A).  It's crap like this that has made women a non-entity, for the most part, in today's country music.  Pass.

Oh, more Just Statin' the Facts to FFW through.  

Because I'm not an illiterate, uneducated fool like the interns on this show, I'm going to use DC's postal code...  I've never heard of go-go music, so who knows what sort of thoughts I'm going to have once he starts singing.  Well, I'm feeling the opposite of the song title...  I don't like it.  But, in a strange turn for me, I'll be gentle and kind, because I can't figure out if it's the mixing or if he's a weak singer, and I've never even heard of this genre of music before, so I can't really judge.

History tour of Massachusetts that turns into a food tour.  It's really cold here in the PNW.  I could go for a steaming bread bowl of New England clam chowder right about now.  So, apparently, Massachusetts and New Hampshire both instill in their citizens a fearlessness.  Who knew?  Is this guy starting on his knees?  No, it's just the lighting.  This is getting dire and predictable.  And I'm FFWing because there's nothing remarkable about that song.

Georgia...  whee another tourist spot.  Thanks, Georgia Board of Tourism!  Awww, she's not defined by any particular genre.  So, she has no built-in potential fans to vote her through.  Hmmmm... Beyonce-style glittery jumpsuit.  And she can't sing.  God, we're going to be stuck with her getting through.  If she wasn't so earnest, I'd root for her to make it through for the camp factor, but no.  She's 100% a wanna-be influencer type.  Pass.

Hawaii...  It's still chilly here and this fluff piece is making me desperately long for the 78F we had just last Thursday.  Hawaiian reggae...  Okay then...  LMAO.  He's standing on a map of Oahu surrounded by tropical foliage.  There's no way this will ever make it on pop radio, even if it's another cool island vibe like Northern Mariana Islands was last week.  

Hey, look, another travelogue for West Virginia!  Or not.  They persevere because they're blue-collar coal miners, did ya know?  She can't sing, but the song itself is actually decent.  Wrong genre too, by the way - this should be a country hit.  What is with the contemporary dancing?  That's not going to distract us from how off-key she is.  I know this is supposed to be a songwriting contest, but, I'm nothing if not consistently anti-bad singers, so she better not advance.

Arizona...  Twins.  Female mariachi.  Well, that's different.  Those dresses and headbands are straight up channeling Frida Kahlo.  I only know this because there were two different women skating to the Frida soundtrack this season.  The song was fine, if a little bland.  But, hey, let them get through because they're different.

The jury surprised me ranking West Virginia so high.  Whelp, Arizona ain't getting through.

Hmmm...  commercial break...  I suspect Jimmy Kimmel is channeling the true spirit of Eurovision better than this show based on that brief commercial.  I'm fairly certain, once this show's run has ended, I'm going to need to watch Eurovision: A Song of Fire and Ice again on Netflix, just to cleanse my soul.  Husavik is an amazing song, just an FYI.

Pennsylvania...  We learn that Philly was once capital of the US.  Something that we should all have learned in 5th grade, so why are we being told this again?  I don't get the lyrics.  "We need plenty love."  Like, her melodic structure couldn't handle the extra syllable to add in "of"?  She's fine in her lower register but every time she goes high, she goes off-key.  Moving on.

So, now we get to Washington, who Kelly apparently loves.  I've never heard of this guy, but apparently he's famous?  Ah, so he's tonight's "celebrity" since he's been nominated for at least one Grammy.  And he wants to place higher than Rhode Island.  I remember Rhode Island.  He had a good song.  Smooth jazz ain't my jam.  I get enough of this shit as a diehard pairs figure skating fan.  I'm a little surprised I haven't heard of this guy, now that I think about it.  This is exactly the sort of shit that fills the playlists of Julie Marcotte and TeamTodd&Jenni.  God, help us.  I can't believe the jury put this through.  This explains sooooo very much about all that is wrong in the world, but especially pairs figure skating.

I don't care who makes it through of this bunch.  They were all cringe-y in their own ways, except Arizona and they're clearly not making it through based on the jury placement.  This show keeps getting progressively worse with each passing week.  I'm in it until the end because I know it won't be renewed, but it's killing me a little to realize we're only halfway through the series order. 

2 hours ago, silverspoons said:

Have they explained how much the jury vote counts and how much America's vote counts, like is it 50/50 or 10/90. It seems like no one lower then 6 by the jury has made it through. Either the jury has more weight in the vote or people are influenced by it. 

Basically 50/50. Each state/territory makes two rankings of 1-11 (or 12) for each show: one simply by its juror, one based on the total number of viewer votes an act gets. Juror rankings only are combined to work out which white dude's ballad qualifies this week at the end of the show. After voting lines close, all of the rankings are combined to work out the three remaining qualifiers.

The thing that annoys me about showing the jury scores during the show is not only does it impact who gets votes - let's be honest, very few people are going to waste time voting after the show for whoever is eleventh - is that it's simplified on screen to a basic overall 1-11 score when the ranking is actually the sum of 56 sets of 1-11 scores. We have no idea whether the scores are relatively even and it would be pretty easy for someone in 6th-8th to get into the top four with a big viewer vote, or if the top three are far far ahead and everyone else is really only fighting for fourth. It IS statistically possible for an act that did as poorly with the idiot jury as Arizona to qualify... or at least it would be if the show wasn't shooting itself in the foot every aching step of the way.

• Love 2

I wanted to like this show.  But it is painful to watch.  I have to FF because I don't care about most of it.  I actually watched live at first.  But now I just zip past anyone that doesn't interest me.  In fact I have been guessing which boring white male will be the jury pick.  

• Love 2

I have to say...I see that the reaction on this board to Jared and Allen (Massachusetts and Washington) has been tepid. And I watched just their performances on Hulu, and I can't say I disagree. This show is...VERY badly edited. And mixed. But, as someone who has seen both of them live multiple times, I will say that both of their voices are SO much more powerful and smooth and affecting than came through on this show. For people that were actually in the room during the performances (the jury), I'm sure that influenced their high placement.

As far as liking their songs or not...yeah, I mean both of them have distinct styles (Jared: mainstream pop ballad-y, and Allen: 70s funk/soul influenced throwback) and you're either going to like that or not. But I would say that both of those songs are fair representations of what I have known as their songwriting styles in the years that I have followed them.

38 minutes ago, SnideAsides said:

The jury aren't in the room. They watch the performances from the final dress rehearsal when ranking the acts. (The gradual ranking throughout the show is TV Magic™.)

Oh, OK. I didn't watch enough to get the ins and outs. I just watched the two performances and then looked up the rankings on Wikipedia.

40 minutes ago, auntiemel said:

Oh, OK. I didn't watch enough to get the ins and outs. I just watched the two performances and then looked up the rankings on Wikipedia.

I'm just basing that on how Eurovision works; they've never actually stated it here but I can't imagine why that would be one of the things they've changed, especially because the show isn't being aired live everywhere (the extended voting window with its weird closing time is to give the territories on the other side of the International Date Line time to watch the show, for example).

• Love 2
On 4/13/2022 at 6:30 PM, SnideAsides said:

I'm just basing that on how Eurovision works; they've never actually stated it here but I can't imagine why that would be one of the things they've changed, 

The fine print in the credits does state jury votes are based on dress rehearsals. 

I was glad Michigan was confirmed safe, she was my favorite. The only others I liked were American Samoa, California, and NC. I tried not to be biased when NC came out (I'm from NC, so...). The guy sort of freaked me out just based on looks--that weird mustache--but I ended up liking the song and thought it was one of the catchier ones so far. Not as good as Michigan's though.

I was pleasantly shocked to see Georgia and New Hampshire make it through. I noticed they didn't reveal the results the same way as in past episodes. Before, they would show the jury votes and then how America's vote changed things. I guess they realized seeing so many of the superior contestants getting so close to making it via the jury only to be shafted in the end by America's vote caused more viewer disappointment (and tuneout, possibly, the ratings are terrible).

• Love 1

Okay, finally back for the last week of the Qualifying Rounds...  

10 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I was pleasantly shocked to see Georgia and New Hampshire make it through. I noticed they didn't reveal the results the same way as in past episodes. Before, they would show the jury votes and then how America's vote changed things. I guess they realized seeing so many of the superior contestants getting so close to making it via the jury only to be shafted in the end by America's vote caused more viewer disappointment (and tuneout, possibly, the ratings are terrible).

I'm less pleased, though certainly not shocked, that Georgia made it through.  She needs to turn up the cheese factor in her performance by about 10,000% for me to like her.  I'm mildly pleased, and definitely shocked, that New Hampshire made it through.  She's not a good singer, but her song was decent enough and I can live with that, especially since West Virginia, who had the strongest SONG of last week's offerings, didn't, even if she was so off-key and pitching her song to entirely the wrong genre to get through.  I'm highly displeased, but, again, not shocked, that Massachusetts made it through.  Generic male ballad. 

I don't think they switched up the reveal because of viewer disappointment, rather they didn't have the time to drag it out with the melodramatic panning from artist to artist, praying desperately to the cameras because they had 12 artists to get through on this show rather than the 11 we've had the first 4 weeks.  Ugh...  I have trouble with enduring 11 of these schmucks.  One more might send me over the edge.

Onto the first dude...  Illinois.  Stadium pop vibe.  So, is that today's code for "sellout"?  This guy's voice isn't that great.  Weirdly, though, this song feels like something that I could hear Adam Levine and Maroon 5 recording, and turning into a hit.  

California fluff piece before the commercial break.  Oh, Miley...  A T-Mobile commercial?  That's just sad.  Back to the show.  I like this entry.  Song is very catchy.  Could absolutely be a pop radio hit right now.  

Idaho.  Sure, there's more to it than the potatoes, but Idaho potatoes are really yummy.  Folk rock.  This guy looks like a serial killer as he builds up to the chorus in that first verse, lol.  And then you listen to the lyrics, and yeah...  Don't go trustin' no one.  Especially guys who look like serial killers when they're singing.  I don't think he meant for that to be the impression, but yeah...

Stop wasting time with Sisqo and his family, show.  We still have 9 artists to get through.  FFW to New Mexico's fluff piece.  LOLOL - this is such a showcase of every New Mexico cliche.  Aliens, check.  Chiles, check.  Oh, lord...  the staging has aliens.  Okay, I gave the rapper a chance but nope.  That was weird, with the outer-space-ish vibe under the rapping. 

Oh, my God...  America voted Wyoming in as an extra semi-finalist?  The rapping cowboy?  Of all the choices you had, THAT got voted through?  

Next up is Missouri.  She's a country songwriter.  And she has support from Martina McBride for other songs.  She's not a good singer but this is a good country song.  And she's way too smiley as she sings.  She needs to be more angsty looking to really sell this song.  I almost typed "program".  She's like Alexa Knierim, smiling her way through her world title winning pairs free skate to "Fix You".  But, I liked that song and screw the jury.  They're idiots.

Oh, Sisqo's here to sing tonight for Maryland.  

But first, American Samoa.  LOL.  Do you know how many people would get lost trying to find a house or place on American Samoa?  The flowers in her hair are giving me a strong Moana vibe, though her song is not.  Another catchy song.  Yeesh, couldn't some of these songs been slotted for last week or the week before and given a fighting chance of making it through?  We're halfway through the night's artists and I'm already okay with at least 4 of them going through to the semi-finals.

And now we have North Carolina, who several here liked...  Another country songwriter who has some solid Nashville connections already.  This song...  Well, it could be a hit song, but it sort of goes nowhere at the end.  That's probably why it hasn't already been snapped up by the likes of Jason Aldean or Luke Bryan to be recorded yet.

There's still five more songs to go...  Next is the last New England state to make an appearance, Vermont.  Of course you moved to Burlington when you were 21.  I was pre-disposed to hate him, but I actually like this song too.  Another catchy tune, with an inspirational/pick-me-up message.  I can't believe we're going to lose some of these songs and are stuck with all those generic guys like Washington and Massachusetts, and shit like Georgia, Texas and Wyoming, and generic pretty Montana country boy.  

Back from the commercial break and we have Kelly & Snoop receiving Vermont Teddy Bears.  FFW through that to Guam.  So, if I'm understanding this fluff piece...  He actually lives in California now but still loves everyone back home in Guam.  And he sings island reggae-alternative.  Eh, this isn't really my taste.  I'm sure it's fine for people who like this type of music, but I'm FFWing now because I'm tired and there are still THREE to go.

Michigan...  Fluff piece gives us the industrial history of the state and the obligatory Motown mention.  She's got that Taylor Swift breathy affectation, and even her timing and phrasing is similar.  I can see the jury going wild over her.

And now, we have finally gotten to Sisqo, representing Maryland.  No, having his cute, adorable kids isn't pandering for the popular vote at all...  Well, the crowd liked it but it sort of put me to sleep, it was that dull.

I thought there were 12 artists tonight but I'm only counting 11...  I'm fine with this.  I couldn't stay awake for one more artist.  Of course Michigan pulls ahead.  Those are interesting jury results.  I'd be fine with California and American Samoa making it to the semi-finals.  Not so much with North Carolina, but I'm not going to get Missouri or Vermont based on the jury standings, so eh.  We'll see next week who makes through and maybe one of those two will get the other redemption spot.

• Love 1
On 4/20/2022 at 2:26 AM, HighQueenEB said:

I don't think they switched up the reveal because of viewer disappointment, rather they didn't have the time to drag it out with the melodramatic panning from artist to artist, praying desperately to the cameras

They needed time to interview the Middle Aged White Male jury member at the end.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

This is show is terrible. Washington is awful and they gave him the number 1 spot over Rhode Island, Alabama, and Michigan. Even Jordan would’ve been a better pick than him, what losers.

Made it easier to fast forward considering we've already heard all the songs. No reason to endure this show longer than necessary knowing these godawful results, pretty confident there won't be a second season. I only watched Montana again. I liked the song a little more and he performed better this time (and the shirt showing off his body didn't hurt either 😉).

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

This is show is terrible. Washington is awful and they gave him the number 1 spot over Rhode Island, Alabama, and Michigan. Even Jordan would’ve been a better pick than him, what losers.

Made it easier to fast forward considering we've already heard all the songs. No reason to endure this show longer than necessary knowing these godawful results, pretty confident there won't be a second season. I only watched Montana again. I liked the song a little more and he performed better this time (and the shirt showing off his body didn't hurt either 😉).

Cutting out the fluff pieces makes this show such a quick watch, which is a small mercy given how awful it is.  

I don't understand what Kelly did to make her stylist hate her so very much.  This week's peace offering must have been substantially better than previous weeks, but still crappy.

Oh, right, we have to start off with finding out which of last week's songwriters are in the semi-finals.  Oooo!!!  American Samoa made it!!!  Yay!  Good job, America!  Ugh.  North Carolina.  No, Kelly, it's not a great song.  Last semi-finalist - oh, thank goodness it was California!  I called these three last week.  I'd have rather had Missouri, Vermont or Illinois instead of North Carolina, but whatever.  Are they going to make us wait to find out who gets the last redemption spot?  Apparently.  

Kentucky is up first and I'm still salty and resentful that the "inspirational message of hope" slot wasn't filled by Vermont instead.  They're going hard for the religious voters here with this staging.  Remind me how Jordan Smith won The Voice, because his voice sounds shot here.  Oh, and then he goes for the glory note and I take back what I just said.  

FFWing through Colorado telling us his favorite alcoholic drink recipe.  Sigh.  He's not camping it up enough to win this shindig.  Damn.  He even makes crowd-surfing seem lame.

New Hampshire.  Ah, yes, the hair.  And tonight she's styled like a citizen of the Capitol from The Hunger Games, which is better than she looked in the qualifying rounds.  Kelly totally wants to record that song herself.  She'd probably do it justice because she can belt those notes properly.

Now we have Washington, and I already know he won the jury vote again 🙄, which is just as inexplicable tonight as it was during the qualifying rounds.  I really have to question the jury's taste and what they're doing to America by putting this guy through.

NiCo from Alabama is up next and she's singing better this week.  I still like their song too.  I'd be fine if they made it through to the Grand Finale.

Wyoming, nope, pass.  I cannot abide this country rapper on my screen.  WTH is this ASC "Halftime Report"?  Apparently an opportunity to share some Snoop-Kelly bloopers.  Well then, FFW is my friend.  Onto Rhode Island.  How did the jury rank him behind both Washington and Kentucky?  Apart from the fact that he's not one of the "celebrity" contestants?  I pray he makes the Grand Finale and at least beats Washington, even if he doesn't win.

And now we have the only true country entry of tonight's entries, so he'll likely advance to the Grand Finale, regardless of where the jury ranks him.  This song, this guy - bro country at it's best.  Or worst.  Right down to the jacket coming off to show off his arms.  Yeah, next week, guaranteed that shirt's coming off.  Which, well, I suppose that's one way to sex it up for a win a la Eurovision, so maybe I'm down with him after all?

Oh, time for the 2nd Redemption reveal...  New York!  Okay, then.  I liked her and I was annoyed that she and Virginia split votes during their qualifying round and neither made it, so alright then.

Back to tonight's semi-finalists...  Our very own Taylor Swift knockoff, Miss Michigan.  Tonight she's dressed like a prom queen.  Oh, honey, way to remind us that you're too pretty and put-together to ever have been that shy, awkward teenage Taylor, which is how she won so many fans and hearts.  That and Taylor actually was a songwriting prodigy.  

Massachusetts - another lame white guy ballad.  But, I will say it's better than I remember, and I don't hate it as much as I hate Washington.  The jury is just incredibly stupid.  That's all.  I'd have put both Rhode Island and Massachusetts ahead of Allen Stone and Jordan Smith.

So, K-pop Oklahoma to close out the night.  I'm so annoyed that Oklahoma or Rhode Island are probably not going to make the Grand Finale while we're stuck with Washington.  She's just really great and interesting.  Whatever.  Only two more weeks of this really sad show.

Edited by HighQueenEB

At least it finally kinda felt like Eurovision with some of the contestants. Mari's dress and the lift, Alixxis (sp? Oklahoma) she definitely got an upgrade to her performance, which had already been great. The camera work for Ni/Co was much better this performance. Honestly, I fast forwarded through just about everyone, and these three are the only performances that stuck with me. Too bad the jury has their favs.

There were so few instances over these last few weeks, where it felt like there was an enjoyable spectacle, or a moment (when it comes to the ballads), so it was nice to have a few of those in this episode. Too bad Sisco didn't make it, I loved his performance. I understand: new show, low budget, most of it went to the jury/kelly/snoop, and most likely Jewel/Sisco/MB, etc. Still, more should have been spent on tech for performances/video stuff. I honestly can't even remember who is going to be on next week except for the girl group from Cali and NY, so hopefully they'll have upgraded performances next week too.

• Love 2

Canada only has 13 provinces and territories, so much more manageable. If they eliminate one a week with 3 finalists it will be an 11 week show. Nunavut should be interesting.

Our very own Taylor Swift knockoff, Miss Michigan.

I've been thinking of her as an Olivia Rodrigo clone. It seems to be working.

This article in MJ's Blog is primarily about The Masked Singer ratings sinking but she compares it with similar reality programs and ASC is pretty bad.

Rookie competition show American Song Contest took its [The Voice] place, and has been a failure for NBC. The series debuted with a o.5 rating, and 2.90 million viewers, and dropped to a 0.3 rating in subsequent weeks. Overall viewers have been under 2 million. 

If they do another season it will have a lower budget and be moved to Peacock.

• Love 2
(edited)

Is that Michael Bolton?  Omg!

I’m not that concerned with the guy from NC now.  I saw that he’s one of the writers for Aldean and Underwood song that recently won a couple of awards at the CMT Awards.  I think he’ll do ok. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe

I can't say that I really liked any of the songs, but I did enjoy a few performances. American Samoa, Texas, Cali- I also enjoyed Michael Bolton even though there's no reason for him to win.  I did enjoy the one lady whose song Kelly wants to cover, she was North Dakota, I think? I usually watch On Demand, but I couldn't ff for some reason this week, so yeah the mute button was used several times.

I am glad though that Oklahoma and Alabama made it to the finals. I know Ni/Co has no chance of winning, but I was so surprised when they got through, good for them.

(edited)

The jury gave Washington the most points, for heaven's sake... Please, anybody but Washington, he's awful. I'd even rather Jordan win.

EDIT: YAY!!! A happy ending, after all! Thank God.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Love 3

I had given up on this show, quit watching, but tuned in tonight to see who won.  The guy from Washington was in 1st place(from the Jury), but the K-Pop girl from Oklahoma won due to getting the most votes from fans....I really did not understand how the voting worked.  K-Pop is popular so I guess I can see why this young girl won...but the whole show was just too confusing to win me over as a Fan.

• Love 1