Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Rick Kitchen

What Are We Currently Reading?

6 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Lipman is one of my favorite authors.

Mine too.  I don't know how I missed this earlier, or I would have read it months ago.

Regarding The Last Guard ,  I really think it’s a great addition to the Psy-Changling series.   I like that although Canto is Psy, at heart he’s kind of a bear and Payal’s story arch was interesting.  I’m really l hoping we get Arwen and Pavel’s story soon.  Also I am kinda dying for a Nikita/Anthony novella.

• Like 1

I recently read Walk the Wire and One Good Deed by David Baldacci. Walk the Wire is an Amos Decker novel and One Good Deed introduces a new character named Archer. One Good Deed is different from his other novels since it's set in the 1940's. I loved both books I thought both main characters were sympathetic and there was plenty of action. My only problem with his books is that he relies on female killers too much.

I am three quarters the way through Tana French's Broken Harbor (having read the previous three books in this series which I believe is called Dublin Murders or something like that), and I am just astounded at how good this is. I very much enjoyed the previous novels in the set but this one is extraordinary. To be honest, I am posting because this is one of those rare books that I am stalling on finishing because I don't want it to be over. (It is a gruesome murder mystery set in a crumbling seaside residential development so if dark criminal investigation is not your thing, this would not be your next read :)

Yeah, I know I am late to the party...lots of amazing authors out there nowadays, we are so fortunate!

• Like 1

The Music of Bees by Eileen Garvin is a sweet, gentle story about three lost souls who find each other and make a family.  The ending may be a little too neat, but it was a pleasant summer read.  I liked it a lot.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

On 7/30/2021 at 3:15 PM, peacheslatour said:

I just finished Cold Flat Junction. Would it be a mistake to read Hotel Paradise now, considering the events in that book precede the events on CFJ?

It's been so long since I read these that I can't say for sure. I did rate Hotel Paradise higher in Goodreads and I think that was because it felt like Cold Flat Junction covered a lot of the same ground.

I'm reading Cultish: The Language of Fanaticism by Amanda Montell. It's divided into different parts covering movements/groups ranging from the deadly (Heaven's Gate, Peoples Temple) to the ridiculous (social media influencers). I didn't know much about some of these things before, so it's sometimes disturbing reading but it's incredibly interesting and well-written. I just finished the section on MLMs (like Amway, ugh) and how they continue to flourish, and have just started the part about the fitness industry (SoulCycle, intenSati, etc).

• Like 1

I’m reading the biography Shout, Sister, Shout: The Untold Story of Rock n Roll Trailblazer Sister Rosetta Tharpe by Gayle Wald.  When I was on YouTube I got sucked into watching a channel called Trash Theory with a recommendation for a video about the legacy of the Spice Girls. It lead me to other videos on the channel like Before Black Sabbath:  How Psychedelic Rock became Metal.  Part of the video went into the history of Rock and Roll and I noticed a name pop up multiple times in the comments that wasn’t included in the video “Sister Rosetta Tharpe” who I had never heard of before.  I looked her up and was interested to read a biography about a woman who was such a big influence in the development of Rock and Roll but who isn’t as well known as people like Chuck Berry.  

Edited by Luckylyn
  • Useful 2

10 hours ago, isalicat said:

I am three quarters the way through Tana French's Broken Harbor (having read the previous three books in this series which I believe is called Dublin Murders or something like that), and I am just astounded at how good this is. 

Good to hear!  Broken Harbour is one of my favorite French novels, Faithful Place is the other.