Type keyword(s) to search

S01.01: She's a Good Friend

Message added by Whimsy,

I know that this is a well-known case to many, but it's brand new to others.  I had to hide some posts that discussed future events related to this case.  I created a new rule for this forum.  Please read it here: 

• Start Topic

03/08/2022 (10:01PM - 11:00PM) (Tuesday) : Meet Pam Hupp, Betsy Faria's close friend and the last person to see her alive after dropping Betsy off at home on the night of her murder. Betsy's husband, Russ Faria, makes a distraught call to 9-1-1.

I read about this in People Magazine. Rene is killing it ( no pun intended) as Pam. I wish this had been on a streaming network so I could binge it, I don’t want to wait a whole week for the next episode.

• Love 16
2 hours ago, Melina22 said:

I never expected it to be narrated by Keith Morrison. That cracked me up. 

I wasn't expecting that, either. And the way the narration was being done at the beginning, I seriously thought the narration would turn into a rhyme. Given the Christmas setting, I actually half expected Keith to start going on about the Whos down in Whoville and whatnot or something :p.

Same with the opening scene of Pam introducing herself and her family - the music in the background and the rhythmic nature of her introduction had me thinking she'd break into song. 

Rene's fat suit is bothering me less than I expected, probably because the whole show has such a comical tone. 

She is clearly having a blast with this role, for sure. 

As for the events of the episode itself, my main takeaways as follows:

-Yes, Russ, getting a lawyer would be a very smart idea on a general level. That cop scrambling to desperately read him his rights was a moron for letting that rather important detail slip. 

-I can see seeing someone's slashed wrists and immediately jumping to suicide, but if someone's got a knife in their neck...I mean, yeah, someone theoretically could kill themselves that way, but that's not a very common way to do so. And statistically speaking, women generally don't tend to pick gruesome methods like that to kill themselves. But of course, the multiple stab wounds pretty much ended the suicide theory as well. That whole bit made me think of a "Dateline" episode from last week where people had initially assumed that a man had died from a snake bite, and then the autopsy revealed he'd been shot multiple times, and I was sitting here wondering how the hell the perosn making the 911 call, who saw the body, missed that. 

-Pam's making the big mistake that so many people make in these kinds of cases - they think the more detailed their movements are, the more concrete an alibi they'll have. Instead, the opposite happens - they wind up coming off far too calculated, and they're so busy trying to keep all the details of their lies straight that they eventually trip themselves up and start giving conflicting statements. 

-I liked the timeline bit, and the whole thing about how one's decisions can change their lives in so many ways. 

-Often, these cases do come down to "the spouse did it", but the frustrating part of that accepted line of thinking is that it makes it a lot easier for cops to get tunnel vision and ignore other possible suspects. 

I've seen the "Dateline" episode on this case, but I've not listened to the podcast - may have to do that at some point and time. I am interested to see how they continue to take on this story, though, 'cause it really is a rollercoaster of a case. 

• Love 15

OMG, Keith Morrison narrating was just the best surprise. What a hoot! I also feel a bit sad for the victim's family, but if anyone deserves to have her life to be made into a mini series where she portrayed in this manner, it is Pam Hupp. Bring it on! 

• Love 15
2 hours ago, Melina22 said:

I feel bad for the victim's family, having their terrible story presented in such a satirical manner, but at the same time I'm really enjoying it. Rene's fat suit is bothering me less than I expected, probably because the whole show has such a comical tone. 

That's how I felt too. I love dark comedy, but knowing this is based on a true and quite recent murder gave me real discomfort. This is certainly more artful and entertaining, but I'm always torn about these things. 

• Love 21
(edited)

I kind of loved this.  Zellweger is clearly having a ball.  She is heads and shoulders above everybody else in this show.  Pam actually kind of makes me think of what a middle aged Roxie Hart might have been like. 

The fat suit didn't bother me at all.  Based on pictures of the real Pam, let's just say . . . she ain't skinny. 

Love the comments above on Keith Morrison's narration.  As someone else pointed out, I was expecting "you're a mean one, Mr. Grinch" any moment. 

The Russ character has to be somewhat exaggerated.  Nobody could be that stupid.  Who would not have immediately jumped to murder instead of suicide based on that scene.  And yes, a lawyer would have been advisable. 

Betsy's dog barking while Pam was making the phone call has to come in to play later, right?  (Speculation on my part.  I know nothing of the real case.) 

Betsy's girls didn't seem at all enamored with Pam. 

I hope we some more of Pam's daughter from her first marriage, whose face she managed to obscure in the family portrait. 

The DA and detective were having an affair, correct? 

Pam and Betty Broderick should become cell mates.  I could see those two hitting it off just fine. 

Edited by Bulldog
  • Love 21
6 minutes ago, Bulldog said:

Pam actually kind of makes me think of what a middle aged Roxie Hart might have been like. 

Oh, my god, YES. 

And now I want to watch Chicago.

Pam and Betty Broderick should become cell mates.  I could see those two hitting it off just fine. 

Now that'd be a terrifying duo if ever there was one. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 8
43 minutes ago, Bulldog said:

The Russ character has to be somewhat exaggerated.  Nobody could be that stupid.  Who would not have immediately jumped to murder instead of suicide based on that scene.  And yes, a lawyer would have been advisable. 

Betsy's dog barking while Pam was making the phone call has to come in to play later, right?  (Speculation on my part.  I know nothing of the real case.) 

IIRC, when Russ made the 911 call, he only saw the knife, and the slash wound, He didn't see the other stab wounds due to the dark clothing Betsy was wearing. I think the reenactment including phone call was based on the actual call. Betsy had threatened suicide previously, so it was likely the first thing that came to mind. As opposed to.....someone killed my wife. 

I loved when they showed the dog (poor dog!) cowering at Pam, and then Pam driving off with the "I ♥ Dogs" bumper sticker. 

Not to give anything away, but if you aren't familiar with the case you are in for a jaw dropping ride. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 14
7 hours ago, UsernameFatigue said:

Not to give anything away, but if you aren't familiar with the case you are in for a jaw dropping ride. 

I got Dateline fatigue a couple of years ago and haven't seen the episode (to my recollection) and didn't listen to the podcast, either. So I'm coming into this without knowing all the details. Now i just have to refrain from Googling so I can enjoy the show more. 

I thought the little "I'm a good person" number at the beginning was odd. I hope we don't see any more of that type of thing. Stick to the dramatization.

I'm in the small minority that doesn't enjoy Keith Morrison's narration on Dateline, I merely tolerate it.

• Love 7

I agree with the comments above. What is funny about any of this? Why is this done so tongue in cheek as a comedy? I think it is appalling because it is true. If it was fiction, well OK... but this is true crime ffs. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 14
(edited)
22 minutes ago, LoveLeigh said:

I agree with the comments above. What is funny about any of this? Why is this done so tongue in cheek as a comedy? I think it is appalling because it is true. If it was fiction, well OK... but this is true crime ffs. 

ITA, but the family must have given the "go ahead" on the project and likely got a ton of money for doing it.

But that's pure speculation on my part.

Edited by preeya
  • Useful 3
  • Love 5

I haven't seen the Dateline episode recently,  but watching i kept saying 

"Now this the one where the husband was with friends and he stopped for food cause of the receipt.  Sure enough then they show it. Ok now I remember  "

One thing with the sodas was that something Pam always had? That i don't remember. 

• Love 5
11 hours ago, Bulldog said:

It's got to. She told the cops that she was already home when she made that call and no way that little yippy dog she has would have that same bark.

10 hours ago, UsernameFatigue said:

I know nothing about this case (other than she did it) so I'm intrigued and really looking forward to the rest of the season.

• Love 7
53 minutes ago, LoveLeigh said:

Yeah, I checked out after about 15 minutes on this one -- I knew going in it was based on a true story, but it hit me how horribly sad this all is when they showed Betsy's last moment with her mom.   The satirical voiceover about this being the mom's unwitting last goodbye just hit me as wrong somehow.  

Going the loosely inspired by a true story route, with name and character changes, might have made it more palatable for me.  YMMV, of course, and no judgment towards anybody enjoying the show!  

• Useful 2
  • Love 12
41 minutes ago, preeya said:

ITA, but the family must have given the "go ahead" on the project and likely got a ton of money for doing it.

I wish this was true, but I've always been under the impression that the families have zero control over what true crime entertainment is made from their tragedy, and get absolutely no remuneration, whether from books, podcasts, shows or movies. 

Maybe I'm mistaken in this belief. I just know that when watching Dateline or similar shows, I often think how much I'd hate it if someone made this kind of show about someone I know.

I actually do know some people who were murdered or involved in murders, I'm shocked to think of how many. A friend was murdered. My dentist was murdered. I'm suddenly getting chills remembering sitting at a pleasant dinner in my apartment years ago with a seemingly normal man who later killed himself and his family. How would I feel if they were the subjects of a TV show, with all their family's dirty laundry being aired? 

I do think very worst of all would be a comedy made from the murder. But at least the victim here and her children aren't being mocked. So far they've made her seem like a good person with a nice family. Only Pam is being made fun of. 

Sigh. Watching true crime is such a guilty pleasure for me. So many mixed feelings about it. 

• Love 4

I'd never heard of this case, and when I started watching, I didn't know it was about a murder that actually happened. I also never watch Dateline, so I had no clue who the narrator was. It is an interesting case, and I immediately suspected Pam, from the title of  the show as well as from how easily she made stuff up as she went along, changing her story to fit. 

I too wish this was a series you could binge watch.  I know nothing about this case and hope they explain the relationship between Betsy and Pam and why Pam hated Betsy so much that she had to kill her in such a gruesome manner and pin the murder on the unsuspecting husband. That first episode was more like a trailer for the series.  They showed us a lot of pieces that don't make a lot of sense right now, and going week by week to piece it all together is going to be torture!

• Love 7
(edited)
1 hour ago, Melina22 said:

I wish this was true, but I've always been under the impression that the families have zero control over what true crime entertainment is made from their tragedy, and get absolutely no remuneration, whether from books, podcasts, shows or movies. 

Maybe I'm mistaken in this belief. I just know that when watching Dateline or similar shows, I often think how much I'd hate it if someone made this kind of show about someone I know.

I actually do know some people who were murdered or involved in murders, I'm shocked to think of how many. A friend was murdered. My dentist was murdered. I'm suddenly getting chills remembering sitting at a pleasant dinner in my apartment years ago with a seemingly normal man who later killed himself and his family. How would I feel if they were the subjects of a TV show, with all their family's dirty laundry being aired? 

I do think very worst of all would be a comedy made from the murder. But at least the victim here and her children aren't being mocked. So far they've made her seem like a good person with a nice family. Only Pam is being made fun of. 

Sigh. Watching true crime is such a guilty pleasure for me. So many mixed feelings about it. 

I googled to see if I could find anything about Betsy's family and their feelings on this series but couldn't find anything. I did read that it was thought that the actual facts were considered so dark and grim that it was decided to write it as a dark comedy, along the lines of Fargo. Which makes me think that the family will be portrayed in a good light (as they have been so far) and Pam and certain other people who deserve to be portrayed in a poor light will be. 

As a fellow true crime addict, I know where you are coming from. But if there is any person who deserves to have her story told in this manor (for those who don't follow true crime), it is Pam. 

Edited by UsernameFatigue
  • Love 15

Russ Faria and his attorney, Joel Schwartz, worked with the actors portraying them so I feel like they are probably OK with the show and possible received some money.  I'm not sure about Betsy's daughters.  I live in the STL area and while I didn't follow the story closely, it was highly publicized.  Pam Hupp did come across as over the top and full of herself when you saw her in real life on the news.  

• Useful 9

My takeaway from this show others like it and true crime podcast is do not go to the police station to be questioned no matter what.  no matter that you’re innocent nothing. I would never do this without bringing a lawyer with me. Law enforcement  is not to be trusted.  I have read and heard of too many cases where innocent people have gone to jail because they want to quickly close the case because they are too lazy to investigate because they are in cahoots with the judges and the DAs etc. it’s horrifying

• Love 13
29 minutes ago, chediavolo said:

My takeaway from this show others like it and true crime podcast is do not go to the police station to be questioned no matter what.  no matter that you’re innocent nothing. I would never do this without bringing a lawyer with me. Law enforcement  is not to be trusted.  I have read and heard of too many cases where innocent people have gone to jail because they want to quickly close the case because they are too lazy to investigate because they are in cahoots with the judges and the DAs etc. it’s horrifying

In addition to the fact that every arrested person MUST BE READ THE MIRANDA WARNING.

However, Miranda rights do not go into effect until after an arrest is made.

• Love 9
3 hours ago, SlovakPrincess said:

Yeah, I checked out after about 15 minutes on this one -- I knew going in it was based on a true story, but it hit me how horribly sad this all is when they showed Betsy's last moment with her mom.   The satirical voiceover about this being the mom's unwitting last goodbye just hit me as wrong somehow.  

Going the loosely inspired by a true story route, with name and character changes, might have made it more palatable for me.  YMMV, of course, and no judgment towards anybody enjoying the show!  

That moment seemed very “Desperate Housewives” to me. I’m not sure how to feel about it yet.

• Love 9
49 minutes ago, chediavolo said:

In Russ’ case, he was so distraught and shocked (and high), and it was winter and he was freezing sitting outside without his coat that I doubt he could even think straight. They got him into a warm car and told him they wanted to ask some questions, and the house was now a disturbing, bloody crime scene. So I don’t blame him for going along to the police station. But yes, he should’ve asked for a lawyer after arriving. But I can understand why he didn’t in the state he was in.

• Useful 1
  • Love 14
1 hour ago, chediavolo said:

My takeaway from this show others like it and true crime podcast is do not go to the police station to be questioned no matter what.  no matter that you’re innocent nothing. I would never do this without bringing a lawyer

I'm sure you're right, and yet many people see immediately asking for a lawyer as proof of guilt. I've seen it often.

Then again, I don't suppose that would work against you in actual court, versus the court of public opinion. "Your Honour, we know he did it because he immediately asked for lawyer." 

I hope I never need this advice. 😬

• Love 11
On 3/8/2022 at 8:07 PM, Annber03 said:

-Often, these cases do come down to "the spouse did it", but the frustrating part of that accepted line of thinking is that it makes it a lot easier for cops to get tunnel vision and ignore other possible suspects. 

Tell me about it.  I saw a Dateline with Keith Morrison recently (rerun) where the husband was the only suspect and was tried and acquitted and the prosecutor would not admit that there was absolutely no evidence. None. The entire case hinged on the fact that a woman several states away who had no connection whatsoever with anyone or anything in the case had had a dream that the husband did it. That was the prosecution's entire case. Keith pointed this out, the prosecutor insisted that it was evidence. Keith said no, it was a dream. And the prosecutor said it 'was a very good dream though'.  I've never seen Keith so completely nonplussed by an interviewee. And the stupid intransigence of the prosecution of this innocent man was quite frightening.

As for this show, I am loving it.  Rene is killing it, absolutely perfect. Like the above case it is quite frightening to see how completely intransigent law enforcement and prosecutors can be when they think they know what they cannot know and refuse to consider any other explanation.  It is infuriating. 

• Love 9
43 minutes ago, Andyourlittledog2 said:

As for this show, I am loving it.  Rene is killing it, absolutely perfect. Like the above case it is quite frightening to see how completely intransigent law enforcement and prosecutors can be when they think they know what they cannot know and refuse to consider any other explanation.  It is infuriating. 

Absolutely infuriating, more than 50 stab wounds to the victim, not a drop of blood on the husband, and he gets "tunnel-visioned" into a conviction. What a tragedy.

Those cops and the DA should have been hung from the rafters.

• Love 17

I don't feel like doing a dark comedy about this particular subject, at least in this version so far, is disrespectful. The only one who is coming off badly is Pam and the authorities, as they should. Betsy's family is fine, they are reacting as normal people and not made the butt of any jokes or disrespect.  Now, for an example of what not to do see Susan Lucci's travesty, Deadly Affairs. The ultra sexification of each case, the naughty innuendoes and sexual narration. It was a mockery of the murder victims themselves as well as their perpetrators.  There was another one on ID where they sexed things up and each episode was sure to include sultry women and men in their underwear, rolling around on beds and doing everything a porn film would do except show full sex and take off all their clothes. That was total disrespect to the victims. 

But this show, so far, has had some dark comedic moments but the butt of the disrespect is Pam herself. I am not sure how or if her husband is involved in anything.

Pam is a psychopath. They are usually quite charming and manipulate and insinuate themselves into your life before you realize it. The series takes that fact and shows us the underlying true nature of Pam which the people around her do not see because she is so good at predator camouflage. The dog knew because he wasn't fooled by the human mask. He sensed a dangerous person, a predator.  Many people have forgotten how to listen to their senses telling them when they are in danger and psychopaths use that to their advantage.

I was work friends with a serial rapist-murderer and honestly he was one of the nicest most trustworthy people I knew for over twenty years.  He was caught through DNA and you could have knocked me flat when he was arrested. I still can't believe I never had an inkling. I mean seriously, I let this man walk me to my car some nights. I find it hard to truly trust anyone anymore. 

Pam got away with her schemes and murder because people just don't look beyond superficial images and the mask the psychopath wears to fool us. But in this film we get to look and it makes the telling of the tale that much more interesting. We aren't being fooled; we are watching her at work.

Edited by Andyourlittledog2
Because typos bite.
  • Useful 4
  • Love 14
15 hours ago, Cinnabon said:

In Russ’ case, he was so distraught and shocked (and high), and it was winter and he was freezing sitting outside without his coat that I doubt he could even think straight. They got him into a warm car and told him they wanted to ask some questions, and the house was now a disturbing, bloody crime scene. So I don’t blame him for going along to the police station. But yes, he should’ve asked for a lawyer after arriving. But I can understand why he didn’t in the state he was in.

Exactly. The cops take advantage of peoples shocked states of mind & they wind up in prison. Our system is seriously flawed. 

• Love 14

What scares me about the whole Betsy Faria murder case is how quickly everyone was to suspend their own disbelief in the face of the loudest voice, one speaking words that can’t hold up against questions. The only thing in favor of such words is the fact that it saves the listener from exercising judgment in the first place.  But then the listeners will go through such logical contortions to justify the loud nonsense later.  Critical thinking skills are lost.  Our society reacts first, and thinks much later, if at all.

How many other Russ Farias are there? And how many Pam Hupps?

• Love 7
On 3/9/2022 at 8:15 AM, Melina22 said:

I would say that the cops are being made to look pretty bad too. From the very first scene, they're made to look like bumbling Keystone cops. If I didn't know this was based on a real life events, I would think this was one of those comedy shows where the cops look like fools for comedic effect. Also, I think that female DA is going to come off looking pretty bad too.

I knew the story, having watched it on Dateline, and I'm pretty surprised at the overall tone this show has but I'm going to continue to watch it. The acting by Renee Zellweger was pretty good and it is a very fascinating story.

Edited by Desperately Random
  • Love 12
On 3/9/2022 at 12:00 PM, UsernameFatigue said:

As a fellow true crime addict, I know where you are coming from. But if there is any person who deserves to have her story told in this manor (for those who don't follow true crime), it is Pam. 

That's sort of the rub, isn't it?  Yes, Pam deserves to be mocked.  Perhaps the tone even fits her.  But is it HER story or that of her victims?  If it's her story, the tone is fine.  But when I think of all who were affected by her choices surrounding Betsy's murder, I'm more uneasy.

On 3/9/2022 at 2:03 PM, preeya said:

In addition to the fact that every arrested person MUST BE READ THE MIRANDA WARNING.

However, Miranda rights do not go into effect until after an arrest is made.

I'm not sure where the law falls right now but that's not always the case.  It can come down to whether or not a person thinks he or she can leave even if they haven't; officially arrested them. Since they were interrogating Russ as a possible perp, I think that's why the DA wanted to make sure Miranda was read.  But he didn't finish it, did he?

On 3/9/2022 at 2:11 PM, Cinnabon said:

“Fargo” and “To Die For” (also based on a true story) both come to mind for me. And I absolutely loved them both, so I’m in for the duration.

Fargo is pure fiction even though it says it's based on real events, it isn't.  "To Die For" is more closely associated with a real case but they changed a lot of the details, including names.

22 hours ago, Darian said:

They felt the show had done a good job and treated them with care and respect. The other was a friend, not close but still a friend from high school, who was murdered after she graduated (I was a year behind her) in 1979 by someone else I barely knew, but not well, and not through school.  They were from totally different worlds and she was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Both shows were very well done and I was especially appreciated how my high school friend, such a kind person, was depicted. 

Dateline tends to treat the victims well.  The joke on that forum is that all the victims "lit up a room." I can remember maybe one time when the victim was a liar and serial cheater that they struggled to pretend people's lives were better with him in it.

• Love 6
16 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

That's sort of the rub, isn't it?  Yes, Pam deserves to be mocked.  Perhaps the tone even fits her.  But is it HER story or that of her victims?  If it's her story, the tone is fine.  But when I think of all who were affected by her choices surrounding Betsy's murder, I'm more uneasy.

I'm not sure where the law falls right now but that's not always the case.  It can come down to whether or not a person thinks he or she can leave even if they haven't; officially arrested them. Since they were interrogating Russ as a possible perp, I think that's why the DA wanted to make sure Miranda was read.  But he didn't finish it, did he?

Fargo is pure fiction even though it says it's based on real events, it isn't.  "To Die For" is more closely associated with a real case but they changed a lot of the details, including names.

Dateline tends to treat the victims well.  The joke on that forum is that all the victims "lit up a room." I can remember maybe one time when the victim was a liar and serial cheater that they struggled to pretend people's lives were better with him in it.

I’m aware that “Fargo” is fiction. 🤷‍♀️

• Love 3

@Irlandesa: No, the cop didn't finish the entire Miranda warning.  I don't know if that's a true fact that had repercussions or if it was made up for this series.  They have the whole interview on film though.  So far they're giving the Keystone Kops a run for their money.

• Love 6

Let's please remember to stay on topic for this episode.  I've moved some posts to the True Crime thread, since they were better suited for there.

The episode threads are also not the place to talk about your own personal tragedies or experiences with murder.  You can discuss your experiences in the Small Talk thread (also, I am sorry for anyone who has real life experience with murder).

• Love 4

For years I was an avid true crime reader (Ann Rule) and watched early Datelines, but I always felt unsettled by the fact that people were making money off of victims' pain. I wandered away from the genre, although I remember that Keith Morrison is Matthew Perry's stepfather.

I had that same unsettled feeling while watching this first episode. Knew nothing about the case and wasn't expecting the dark comedy treatment. Not sure if I will finish the series.

The fat suit is distracting because there has been so much discussion about them in the media.

I was pleased to see Katy Mixon as Betsy. Katy was hilarious in "Four Christmases" and I have not seen her in anythng since.

Also spotted Pamela Adlon's daughter playing one of Betsy's daughters.

I am still shocked every time I hear about prosecutorial or police misconduct that results in a flawed conviction.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Love 7
5 hours ago, Whimsy said:

Let's please remember to stay on topic for this episode.  I've moved some posts to the True Crime thread, since they were better suited for there.

The episode threads are also not the place to talk about your own personal tragedies or experiences with murder.  You can discuss your experiences in the Small Talk thread (also, I am sorry for anyone who has real life experience with murder).

Thanks. Is there a thread for Dateline, because I find it difficult to find these smaller topics here?

• Useful 2
3 hours ago, pasdetrois said:

The fat suit is distracting because there has been so much discussion about them in the media.

I was pleased to see Katy Mixon as Betsy.

It looks like Katy Mixon is also wearing padding/prosthetics.  Katy's obviously not as big as the person she's portraying.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, roughing it said:

It looks like Katy Mixon is also wearing padding/prosthetics.  Katy's obviously not as big as the person she's portraying.

I doubt she is. She was pretty big on American Housewife 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I'm not particularly into true crime (although I did enjoy the two seasons of Dirty John) and am not familiar with the real-life Pam Hupp case, but I like Renee Zellweger so decided to watch the premiere. I think Renee is fantastic in this role, but the comedic tone does feel a bit strange considering the gruesomeness of the murder.

If I understood correctly, Betsy really didn't want to go home that night, she wanted to stay at her mom's house where her daughters (apparently from a previous marriage/relationship) also live. So why didn't she refuse to go with Pam, and why didn't it make anyone suspicious that Pam was pushing so hard for Betsy to go home - like, why would Pam care either way? Pam said it was because Betsy had just had chemo and needed to stay away from other people and their "germs," but Betsy had already spent several hours with her mom and daughters that day, so she would have caught all their germs already.

I hope Betsy's husband hung on to that receipt from the drive-thru. I believe the timestamp on it was 9pm-something, and before that he was at his friend's house smoking pot with several other people, so that should easily disprove Pam's allegation that he was home when she dropped Betsy off at 6:30pm, right? Right?!

• Love 8
1 hour ago, chocolatine said:

If I understood correctly, Betsy really didn't want to go home that night, she wanted to stay at her mom's house where her daughters (apparently from a previous marriage/relationship) also live. So why didn't she refuse to go with Pam, and why didn't it make anyone suspicious that Pam was pushing so hard for Betsy to go home - like, why would Pam care either way? Pam said it was because Betsy had just had chemo and needed to stay away from other people and their "germs," but Betsy had already spent several hours with her mom and daughters that day, so she would have caught all their germs already

That's something that makes me crazy but I see it all the time. It's easier. So many people just go along to get along because they don't want to make waves or push against someone who seems to be very aggressive in getting what they want. So they do things they don't want to do, go places they don't want to go, marry people they don't like, etc.  I'm not like that so I don't get why people can't just say no but so many people simply don't. I'm the only one in my family who doesn't just cave to one sister and it throws everyone else for a loop because they just do what she wants to keep things rolling smoothly along. I just can't do that.  Pam wasn't letting it go and wasn't leaving so Betsy just let her have her way, it was easier than resisting. And she died for it.

• Love 10
On 3/11/2022 at 9:09 PM, roughing it said:

I´ve read she was wearing a wig in most scenes and in Pam´s version of the story, she had a bald cap and facial prosthetics on.

On 3/11/2022 at 10:37 PM, chediavolo said:

I doubt she is. She was pretty big on American Housewife 

When I read they cast Katy Mixon to portray Betsy I was a little surprised, because I kinda thought she might be too big if they are going a realistic route, but figured she could drop 10-15 lbs for the role maybe.

As you mentioned she was already pretty big on American Housewife, especially the 5th and final season, so there is no reason to wear padding. So looks like she gained a little bit more after American Housewife was cancelled.

Overall I´m interesting in the show, tho not really liking the dark comedy, tho as some of you mentioned, they are being respectable towards Betsy family so far and are only really making fun of Pam...still makes me a bit uneasy tho, yet I find it facinating

• Love 3
1 hour ago, AHandMarvelfan said:

I´ve read she was wearing a wig in most scenes and in Pam´s version of the story, she had a bald cap and facial prosthetics on.

When I read they cast Katy Mixon to portray Betsy I was a little surprised, because I kinda thought she might be too big if they are going a realistic route, but figured she could drop 10-15 lbs for the role maybe.

As you mentioned she was already pretty big on American Housewife, especially the 5th and final season, so there is no reason to wear padding. So looks like she gained a little bit more after American Housewife was cancelled.

Overall I´m interesting in the show, tho not really liking the dark comedy, tho as some of you mentioned, they are being respectable towards Betsy family so far and are only really making fun of Pam...still makes me a bit uneasy tho, yet I find it facinating

An extra 10-15 lbs is pretty insignificant. 🤷‍♀️ Especially for a character that has very minimal screen time.

Edited by Cinnabon
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1

I guess I was remembering Katy Mixon from her Mike and Molly days.  I loved her in that show, she was so funny yet tender sometimes.

She was way smaller then. Almost unrecognizable. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Cinnabon said:

An extra 10-15 lbs is pretty insignificant. 🤷‍♀️ Especially for a character that has very minimal screen time.

Yeah that is true, she only has like 2 to 5 minutes of screen time per episode at max. plus 10 lbs wouldn´t really be noticeable at her current size I guess.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1