Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E14: Triggered

Pallas
  • Start Topic

I want to like this show but the writing and acting are abysmal. When did Lecy and Sara forget how to act? I feel nothing for these characters. It’s all so trite and poorly written (I noticed Lecy wrote this one but I feel that way every week).

Roseanne tackled social issues so much better than this.

Also, where is DJ? Does Michael Fishman not want to be a regular?

• Love 21

Well. That was intense. 

First things first, welcome back, Louise! So good to see Katey Sagal back again, hope she's continuing to do okay :). 

Shame Louise's return was tied to such a scary situation. The revelation that Emilio and Beverley Rose were at the mall actually made me gasp, even though I figured they'd be okay. I did like the short bout of tension as Becky waited to hear from them, and I liked Jackie offering to go with Becky when she tried to head out that way, offering to use her cop experience to try and help her get to them. 

Also good to see Emilio again. I'm glad he was there with Beverley, and I liked his discussion with Becky about how to help their daughter handle all of this. And Mary. I know Darlene was trying to help her feel better, and I can sympathize with not knowing what to really say to reassure a child in that situation, but Mary's concerns are doubled because not only does she have to worry about school shootings, she's also no doubt seen and heard the stories about black people in general getting shot - and not by some random kid in the neighborhood, either. It would've been good to touch on that a little more. 

As for Harris, I'm with her (and Becky) on getting rid of that gun. And I'm glad that Dan understood why she did that, even if his point about her taking his property is valid on its own. The money at the end for the family of the victim was a nice touch, too, as was the family sleepover. 

The shooter being someone they knew was an interesting way to go - always the way these kinds of stories play out, isn't it? I especially appreciated everyone acknowledging how shooter drills are just a regular part of school for kids now, and how insane that is (and that's all the more I'll say on that topic, 'cause politics, but yeah). 

Certainly a different, and dark, episode, but I rather liked it. 

• Love 20

This episode is proof that this show should probably just go the whole way in and become a full blown dramedy. They did an AMAZING job with this. Unlike the over the top comedy we've been getting recently, this week had just enough humor to undercut the drama when it was needed. They should commit to this format from now on. 

• Love 11
(edited)

Wow what an episode!! I loved it..

Welcome back Louise!! ♥️ This is the most she's ever been in an episode this season which of course make sense, but still. I'm so glad she's back and she & Dan were so adorable!! Louise and the waterbed I figured she wouldn't like it, but I'm glad she at least is gonna give it a try. I was surprised Dan even had a gun and that he got it out, but I don't blame him, but I was very surprised that Harris turned it in. I felt so bad for Jackie and Mary. 

I'm just so glad Louise is back again, I've missed her so much it's not even funny and she had quite the home coming from her family which was so sweet!! I loved every minute of it. I did laugh a lot too with the comedy.. I loved this episode it's now up there with the wedding episode. 

Edited by ESS
  • Love 6
3 minutes ago, Arcadiasw said:

So where were DJ and his wife?

They said DJ was on a business trip. I don't think they said anything about Gina. She seems to have gone fishing with Jerry.

• LOL 12
  • Love 10

"Yeah, because no angry mob ever storms a capitol."
"Ben, read the room."

Ha.  Ben provided some of the needed humor in this one, like saying one of them needs to commit a crime so the news helicopters will fly overhead again and show off his impeccable craftsmanship after he fixed the roof properly.

Also Becky's "And I can't drink - that is so not fair for a parent".

But, ugh, I forgot that Dan has a gun in the house these days.  Good on Becky and Darlene pointing out the reality he would be a hell of a lot more likely to shoot one of them than an intruder (I'm appalled anyone still does not grasp this, but it's accurate), and especially for Becky to say she has a curious three-year-old living in that house.

I love showing the truth that kids Mary's age are given active shooter drills - but if a shooting actually happens, they aren't given remotely adequate resources to deal with the psychological aftermath.  Her conflicting emotions were well expressed, and I especially like her dismissing Darlene's false assurances.  (This would have been a good episode for Geena to be in, though, pointing out Mary has additional concerns as a Black person, and to be the one struggling with how to help her daughter, rather than that coming from Mary's aunt.  I know they have a whole lot of characters for one show, but, jeez - I'd have rather Louise come home next week and Geena be in this one rather than inserting Louise's return into this one.)

I like that Becky's worry about Beverly Rose wasn't drawn out; just those moments of fear - so well played by Lecy - were enough without being overdone.  

I could be tempted to fall into the "the original show used to do serious subjects better" trap at times as I watched, because it did, but in the end this is a worthy entry from an inferior spin-off and I'm glad for this storyline being explored, period; gun violence is so pervasive and we're not doing anything, so it's going to keep happening in all kinds of cities/towns.  So it's good to see it play out honestly in Lanford, and I'll accept it being occasionally clunky.

• Love 17

Doom scrolling. I learned a new phrase.

This was a surprisingly good episode. This did seem like a throwback to the original series.  

Laurie Metcalf has always been the best actor on this series and she made me tear up.  She really sold Jackie's anxiety and her pride that Harris was involved and wanted to do something.  And Darlene didn't annoy me this episode although I agree with @justduckey Sara's acting was  weak.  

• Love 11
46 minutes ago, brisbydog said:

Did I miss an episode? Where are Becky and Darlene moving out to? Together? Last I saw Darlene was rejected from buying a house and was slashing bike tires

They were planning to live in the house together. I guess they're still looking..?

• Love 5
(edited)
11 minutes ago, Brn2bwild said:

Did they say where Mark went?  It seems strange he was absent from an episode like this.

Overnight class trip to the state capital. (Hence Ben's joke about no one ever storming a capital. Also Harris mentioning when she went at Mark's age and being surprised to realize she actually learned something.)

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 8
1 minute ago, ams1001 said:

Overnight class trip to the state capital.

Thanks.  I don't get why the show can't seem to have significant Harris, Mary, and Mark roles in one episode.  At least one kid has to be missing.

• Love 5

Somber episode written by Lecy Goranson. I thought a lot of the dialogue was pretty heavy-handed and expository, and I say that as someone who advocates for gun law reform. I think it's pretty hard to address an issue this complex in 22 minutes in an organic way. I really didn't get Jackie's anxiety, she used to be a cop. I understood Becky's freak out, and the story might have been better served more focused on her and Emilio. 

When Louise got home they told her she couldn't take a shower because Mary was in the shower. Is there only one shower? Isn't there a bathroom upstairs in addition to the one attached to the master bedroom downstairs?

What the hell was Ben doing there? Trying to keep this character relevant is becoming way too convoluted. The neighborhood is swarming with police telling people not to leave their houses yet somehow Ben managed to drive through all that and get to the Conner house. And what for? Because he's repairing the roof? They were under the impression he was already done until the chopper flew overhead.

Was that a different Beverly Rose than the last time we saw her?

Louise and the waterbed I figured she wouldn't like it, but I'm glad she at least is gonna give it a try.

That was actually a joke - she said she'd give it a try after Dan took out his gun. That said, I'm glad she objected to the hippie furniture like we all thought she would. 

• Love 14
2 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

Doom scrolling. I learned a new phrase.

This was a surprisingly good episode. This did seem like a throwback to the original series.  

Laurie Metcalf has always been the best actor on this series and she made me tear up.  She really sold Jackie's anxiety and her pride that Harris was involved and wanted to do something.  And Darlene didn't annoy me this episode although I agree with @justduckey Sara's acting was  weak.  

I think this was the best episode thus far. If the writers can keep this level of character building along with topical humor, I might be in for the long haul. Plus Jackie was not wacky. I hope she stays that way.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

Laurie Metcalf has always been the best actor on this series and she made me tear up. 

I agree.  Laurie is fantastic and can do so much more than just “zany Jackie”.  I liked the episode.  It got dark but they still had moments of levity. I legit got chills when we found out Emilio and Beverly Rose were at the mall.  A nightmare for a parent.  I’m starting to like Ben more now that it seems he and Darlene have settled on just being friends and all that weird back and forth is over.

In regards to casting, it’s funny because I watch This Is Us and the casting on that show is fantastic, like you can actually think all those people are related and the younger versions of characters look like the older versions, etc.  On this show no one looks related at all.  I just cant believe Harris and Mark would be the products of two little elves like Darlene and David.  To be fair I think most shows don’t pay much attention to this but it just makes the shows that do such standouts in that department.

• Love 11
21 minutes ago, mostlylurking said:

I just cant believe Harris and Mark would be the products of two little elves like Darlene and David.

I wonder if they didn't expect Ames to shoot up so much when they chose him... 

• Love 7

Beverly Rose was the same girl as last time…. But not the same girl as when she was a baby.  Because she’s magically aged while Mary had aged appropriately.  
Jackie was a cop for a month or so decades ago.  I don’t think she’s  got any special claim to bravery or calmness as a result.  I thought she was written very well this episode.  No wacky Jackie, but an honest portrayal of a woman in her sixties that was in a frightening situation and reads too much on the internet.  
we got an answer as to whether or not Jackie still lives elsewhere, she does.  Of course, we got no answer as to where Bev lives and  whether she would have been frightened by all this.  Is she still living with Jackie?  Would she be afraid to be left alone overnight?  Why didn’t Neville call and check on Jackie? 
Where is Gina?  I thought she was retiring  so she could be present in Mary’s life.   

• Love 7
1 hour ago, mythoughtis said:

Where is Gina?  I thought she was retiring  so she could be present in Mary’s life.   

It's possible that Maya Lynne Robinson isn't available as she is on the delightful new sitcom Grand Crew. She's not a lead character but shows up more there and gets to do more than she did here. I wish she or someone else Black had been there to help Mary. Darlene was well-meaning but Mary was aware that she doesn't get it and I feel like Darlene and the family did their best, but Mary knows it's different for her. The moment when the shooter was killed and Dan turns Mary from the TV or she turns to him and they just hold each other brought me to tears. Of course she's matter of fact about the fact that the drills happen and more together than the adults in that moment, but also affected by the whole thing.

I also can't be the only person here who has either been in an active shooter "stay inside" lockdown while out and about (I was an RN in Florida, so it was not that rare at work) or have friends whose kids have been in lockdowns because of active shooters in or around their school. A month or so ago, I knew three different friends who don't know each other in different parts of the same mall while there was an active shooter (more than one person died). I bet many if not most of us know or have been touched by something like this so I'm glad they did this show. 

And I feel you, Ben. Every time Google updates our street view, we've got a  mattress out for trash day or had our house paint stripped just before it's repainted or something. It's like they know. 

Well done for this show. 

• Love 5
24 minutes ago, Darian said:

I bet many if not most of us know or have been touched by something like this so I'm glad they did this show.

Yeah, my best friend's niece had to flee from a school shooting that started mere yards from her a few years ago.

This isn't stopping, and while it's incredibly complex to tackle in just over 20 minutes, I'm glad for someone's best crack at it rather than just not even addressing it because it's difficult.  It's too much a part of American life not to be included in a series like this one.

• Love 9

This kind of hit home since we had a young man who lived around the corner barricade himself in his house after attacking a family member and ended up taking his life. We literally had the swat team parked in front of our house and cops in our backyard so they could see into our neighbor’s house. Our reaction was the same as theirs when they realized the shooter was someone they knew and had interacted with in the past. 

I was a little concerned with the helicopter over the house, especially since Ben walked into the house after the fact thinking that they might somehow consider him a suspect, and my mind went in a million different directions when Mary appeared on the scene (especially since she hadn’t been shown since the wedding). 

I do wonder if they’ll show any repercussions in future episodes or if things will go back to business as usual in the next new episode. 

• Love 5
5 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Somber episode written by Lecy Goranson.

Ugh, stick to acting, Lecy.  Too political.  If I want to watch politics, there are any number of propaganda channels I can tune into.  No thanks.

• Love 5

This episode was amazing and hit all the right beats at all the right times. Harris selling Dan's gun was out of line, but their concerns about having a gun in the house are  valid, especially with Beverly Rose living there.I really appreciated the dialoged with Dan emphasizing that it's locked up in a drawer, while everyone else pointed out they all know the combination. Loved that Dan donated the money Harris got to the family of the victim and the neighbors soliciting donations it was a nice addition without name-dropping "gofundme" as a primary source of fundraising to support victims in these situations.

16 hours ago, Bastet said:

I love showing the truth that kids Mary's age are given active shooter drills - but if a shooting actually happens, they aren't given remotely adequate resources to deal with the psychological aftermath. 

Seeing Mary just be numb to what to do, block the door, close the drapes, go get her checklist. that scene broke my heart.

All-in-all, a great episode and very relevant. It 100% felt like original Rosanne tackling relevant and difficult social and society issues.

• Love 15
3 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

This episode was amazing and hit all the right beats at all the right times. Harris selling Dan's gun was out of line, but their concerns about having a gun in the house are  valid, especially with Beverly Rose living there.I really appreciated the dialoged with Dan emphasizing that it's locked up in a drawer, while everyone else pointed out they all know the combination. Loved that Dan donated the money Harris got to the family of the victim and the neighbors soliciting donations it was a nice addition without name-dropping "gofundme" as a primary source of fundraising to support victims in these situations.

Seeing Mary just be numb to what to do, block the door, close the drapes, go get her checklist. that scene broke my heart.

All-in-all, a great episode and very relevant. It 100% felt like original Rosanne tackling relevant and difficult social and society issues.

I felt the same way. Did they get new writers?

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

I really appreciated the dialoged with Dan emphasizing that it's locked up in a drawer, while everyone else pointed out they all know the combination. 

I loved the detail of what the specific combination was, too XD. 

But yeah, I really liked how they called out the "It's locked up" refrain, too, because so many people like to think that they're careful with their guns, but, well, all the real life stories out there of accidental and intentional shootings tend to prove people's judgment isn't always as great as they think it is when it comes to that sort of thing. 

• Love 7
(edited)

I was so happy to see Louise again!  She's the only one with common sense and a sense of joy and fun in that house.   Although when she was told she couldn't take a shower, I almost expected her to say," no problem, I'll shower at my place which I've secretly kept all this time to escape from you people and to take long, hot showers when needed.  Bye!"

I really liked this episode, and am glad they chose to tackle the subject of teen and school shootings.  They happen so often that we almost tune them out now, but kids like Mary, and their parents, can't tune it out, ever. 

Ben was good for the comic relief - all the roof jokes made me laugh.  And hooray, neither Harris nor Darlene annoyed me this episode.  I know it wasn't right for Harris to turn in Dan's gun, but that she could do so was all the proof needed that it wasn't "safely locked up" like Dan thought when they all knew the combination, so good for her. 

It's too bad Mark wasn't there to remind us that teens in despair, like whatever Jimmy's problems were that led him to murder/suicide/suicide by cop, or however that happened, are not that different from himself.  Depressed teens, like Mark when he's all doom and gloom about his education and future., sometimes do desperate things.  "That could be me, because it's someone just like me" would have been an interesting take on the shooting.  And it's yet another reason not to keep guns in the house where desperate teens can get them.

Edited by izabella
  • Love 10

I saw it differently. Mary is the daughter of a military member and kids that grow up in military families aren't taught to panic - they are taught to take action (grew up with an Army dad and was a military spouse for 25 years).  And I'm guessing while the Conner household had more than one shower, Mary might have drained the water heater so there was no hot water. 

Beverly Rose is supposed to be three? She's really grown up and advanced! Why, if I didn't know about the magic of Accelerated TV Series Child Replacement Syndrome, I would have thought she was probably a small six year old!

Harris didn't have the right to sell Dan's gun.  But he did need to find a safer place to keep it.  My grown kids have magnetic gun holders that are on top of high bookcases in the bedroom.  Or have him get a better safe (with a better combination) and install it somewhere safer. Plus a safety lock on the gun.  I did like the touch of donating the money to the people collecting for the family. 

Darian, I live 20 min from Parkland.  I happened to be out of town when it happened, but I got a call from my daughter who works in the emergency room who told me to turn on the news.  And I live close to a major highway so I've heard helicopters circling overhead all the time.  (heard them once in church when an active shooter showed up at a local restaurant two blocks away and shot the manager - they airlifted the manager to a large trauma center). 

It was heartbreaking that the family knew the boy involved in the shooting and that none of the Conners could understand why he did it. 

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Darian said:

I also can't be the only person here who has either been in an active shooter "stay inside" lockdown while out and about (I was an RN in Florida, so it was not that rare at work) or have friends whose kids have been in lockdowns because of active shooters in or around their school. A month or so ago, I knew three different friends who don't know each other in different parts of the same mall while there was an active shooter (more than one person died). I bet many if not most of us know or have been touched by something like this so I'm glad they did this show. 

In 2018, there was a teenage girl shot and killed at my old high school (she was taken off life support about a day or so later after being declared brain dead), along with a teenage boy, who was shot in the leg but thankfully survived. Not as big as Parkland, which was just only a month before, but still very sad, and it made the national news that day, which was truly bizarre, given how far out the area is.

And in the spring of 2006, when I was still in high school during my junior year, our crosstown rival had a lockdown when it was suspected a student had a gun in their locker. It turned out to be a false alarm, but it was still very scary (and it also briefly made the national news).

1 hour ago, rmontro said:

Ugh, stick to acting, Lecy.  Too political.  If I want to watch politics, there are any number of propaganda channels I can tune into.  No thanks.

Mileage varies, but I actually thought they struck the right balance in that regard. The original series certainly didn't shy away from dealing with serious issues, while maintaining a good sense of humor about everything. I prefer this to whatever we've been getting from this show recently, that's for sure. 

But then, All in the Family is one of the my favorite shows of all time, so sitcoms that aren't afraid to take on politics don't faze me much at all. ;) 

• Love 14

Gun violence or mental health and supports shouldn't be political issues, but YMMV.

Was this another episode shown out of order? I thought at some point Becky would have been shown talking to her new boyfriend assuring him she was OK. He's been to their house so if he saw it on the news, he would know she was in the thick of it.

Overall, not what I was expecting from an episode of The Conners, but I liked it. 

• Love 14
2 hours ago, ItsHelloPattiagain said:

And I'm guessing while the Conner household had more than one shower, Mary might have drained the water heater so there was no hot water. 

Yeah, at my parents' house you can't run both showers at the same time, at least not for very long, or you'll be cold.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, ItsHelloPattiagain said:

I saw it differently. Mary is the daughter of a military member and kids that grow up in military families aren't taught to panic - they are taught to take action (grew up with an Army dad and was a military spouse for 25 years). 

Good point and perspective. I actually forget that Mary's mom is in the military, or was (did she retire?). "We learned about this in school" got me. There was something in her tone that was just resigned to this.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, SoMuchTV said:

This one seemed more like current events than politics to me, but maybe I don’t understand what “politics” is. 

The shooting was current events but some of the remarks and the gun control debate were politics.

7 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

I actually forget that Mary's mom is in the military, or was (did she retire?).

She decided to retire in last season's finale, when she came home on leave and discovered how out of the loop she'd been about what was going on - D.J. working long hours so Mary was primarily living at Dan's house.  After talking with Becky, she felt like she was missing out on too much of Mary's life at a vulnerable time, so declared an intention to retire.  But we haven't seen her since, so who knows what she actually decided to do.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
(edited)

I'm in the minority here because I thought this episode was a bit out of touch with reality for a few different reasons.  First, I've never heard of being alerted via cell phone when a criminal is on the loose.  IRL, people's phones would be going off constantly or at least enough that the alerts would be ignored.  I wasn't surprised about Mary doing as she was instructed to do during an ALICE drill.  However, the adults (especially Darlene since both Mark and Harris have been experiencing them for years) not knowing that the school drills are conducted on a regular basis seemed strange. 

Secondly, everyone in that house was acting like gun violence isn't a common every day occurrence here in America.  

I don't care how secure Dan thought his gun was, having it sitting in a "locked" box in a dresser drawer where a small child could find it was totally irresponsible.  However, I didn't agree with Harris taking it and turning it in either.  I'm not a gun person, but can you just walk into a police station and give them a gun in exchange for cash? 

Third, no one gives a bunch of money to neighbors they don't know just because they say it's going towards the victim's expenses.  GoFundMe, yes.  Strangers going door to door, no.

Final reason...

6 hours ago, Darian said:

I wish she or someone else Black had been there to help Mary. Darlene was well-meaning but Mary was aware that she doesn't get it and I feel like Darlene and the family did their best, but Mary knows it's different for her.

20 hours ago, Bastet said:

(This would have been a good episode for Geena to be in, though, pointing out Mary has additional concerns as a Black person, and to be the one struggling with how to help her daughter, rather than that coming from Mary's aunt.  I know they have a whole lot of characters for one show, but, jeez - I'd have rather Louise come home next week and Geena be in this one rather than inserting Louise's return into this one.)

Agree on both of these comments.  I was disappointed that Darlene didn't even mention how it would be different for Mary because she's black. That also would have been a good time to explain where Gina has been this entire time. She could have told Mary that she should talk to her mom more about it after she returns home from wherever she's been since she retired from the military.

Lecy is a horrible actress!!

Edited by juliet73
  • Love 7
(edited)
20 minutes ago, juliet73 said:

can you just walk into a police station and give them a gun in exchange for cash?

Many law enforcement agencies have anonymous, no-questions-asked gun buyback programs (they first became common in the '90s), although not all use cash as the incentive.

20 minutes ago, juliet73 said:

Secondly, everyone in that house was acting like gun violence isn't a common every day occurrence here in America.  

I think a lot of people live in denial until they're directly affected, like the Conners in this episode.  Well, not truly in denial - if asked if gun violence is an issue in America, they'd all say yes, and even if asked "Could it happen here?" most would say yes - but not thinking about it.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 9
26 minutes ago, juliet73 said:

8 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I think a lot of people live in denial until they're directly affected, like the Conners in this episode.  Well, not truly in denial - if asked if gun violence is an issue in America, they'd all say yes, and even if asked "Could it happen here?" most would say yes - but not thinking about it.

It's one thing to know that it happens daily, it's another thing to have your neighborhood locked down by SWAT.

• Love 17
4 hours ago, Starchild said:

Can we keep this version of Jackie please? A voice of reason, but also suppressed trauma that feels real.

The only misstep with Jackie this week was her saying she still had contacts with the police. 

Who are they trying to kid? Jackie was a cop for like a minute 30 years ago.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
(edited)
11 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

It's one thing to know that it happens daily, it's another thing to have your neighborhood locked down by SWAT.

I’m totally use to swat lockdowns in my neighborhood.

I didn’t see the episode but I read the transcript and I am also in the minority even if I saw the episode just would seem to preachy like some others have said.

I am no stranger to gun violence, my 18 year old nephew got shot in the thigh once, my eldest brother was killed by a gun. Apparently my family had a gun years before I was born but sold it  after my brother’s murder.  I also saw and heard when my friend’s dad was killed by police. Hearing the bullets get fired off. 

Aside from that a couple of my relatives own guns and they know gun safety. They go to shooting ranges.

Edited by Rocknrollzombie
(edited)
11 hours ago, Brn2bwild said:

Thanks.  I don't get why the show can't seem to have significant Harris, Mary, and Mark roles in one episode.  At least one kid has to be missing.

It may be for the simple reason that if Mark was there, she would have to be sharing a room with him.  With him away, Darlene was able to talk to Mary alone in the bedroom. 

Also, Mark's response to an event like this would take up a lot of time.  We've seen his reaction to events that are a lot less dramatic.  There was simply no room for him in this episode, both literally and figuratively.

11 hours ago, iMonrey said:

When Louise got home they told her she couldn't take a shower because Mary was in the shower. Is there only one shower? Isn't there a bathroom upstairs in addition to the one attached to the master bedroom downstairs?

Yeah, it's much more likely that the downstairs bathroom would lack a shower than that the upstairs one would.  What would have made "sense" would be if the upstairs bath leaked through the floor when used and they hadn't gotten around to fixing it yet, so they were down to one shower.

3 hours ago, ams1001 said:
5 hours ago, ItsHelloPattiagain said:

And I'm guessing while the Conner household had more than one shower, Mary might have drained the water heater so there was no hot water. 

Yeah, at my parents' house you can't run both showers at the same time, at least not for very long, or you'll be cold.

That would make sense, but it's not what they told Louise.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 1
(edited)
40 minutes ago, reggiejax said:

The only misstep with Jackie this week was her saying she still had contacts with the police. 

Who are they trying to kid? Jackie was a cop for like a minute 30 years ago.

When Roseanne died, someone from the medical examiner's office contacted Jackie directly about the cause of death (presumably from her brief tenure as a cop).  Jackie was so obsessed with being a cop when she was when, and regaling everyone with "Back when I was on the force" stories afterward, maybe she did keep in touch.  She did still know the guys at the station when Bev got picked up for a DUI (when she wanted to know if her mugshot was available in wallet size, heh).  So, perhaps not all that plausible, but it's what they've established all along.

(And the entire franchise has been littered with "everybody knows everybody" sentiment about Lanford -- except, of course, where storyline necessitated instead that two long-term residents didn't know each other.)

So I can roll with that one.

22 minutes ago, Starchild said:

I'm just glad I finally know how "Lecy" is pronounced.

It's a nickname for Alicia, so the Leecy pronunciation comes from the "lee" pronunciation of the middle of Alicia.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 8
(edited)
1 hour ago, juliet73 said:

First, I've never heard of being alerted via cell phone when a criminal is on the loose.  IRL, people's phones would be going off constantly or at least enough that the alerts would be ignored. 

I guess it depends on where you live.  Most colleges have alert systems that you opt into.  Lanford isn't actually a hotbed of crime, so maybe their alert system warns of situations like this, as well as tornadoes and floods, and both Becky and Darlene opted in.

Apparently Beverly Roses's friends' parents know Emilio is around, although I suppose they might not know his immigration status. He's not being so careful anymore.  I'm a little surprised that Beverly Rose even has friend parties to attend-she doesn't go to school, right?  (There was a kid's book just sitting on the living room table. That would have made a better present than the ash tray.  Why a family that doesn't buy gifts has wrapping paper is a little perplexing.)

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 5
12 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Apparently Beverly Roses's friends' parents know Emilio is around, although I suppose they might not know his immigration status. He's not being so careful anymore.  

I thought about that briefly during that part of the episode, too, yeah. 

• Love 2