Type keyword(s) to search

S33.E10: No Room for Error/S33.E11: In the Hands of the Amazing Race Gods

• Start Topic

36 minutes ago, Roccos Brother said:

I just wanted to say - kudos to Natalia for being the only one to get the column counting challenge correct on the first try. If Arun had performed better in the rowing challenge, who knows how that might have changed the end result for that leg.

Cayla got it on the first try.

• Love 2
On 3/9/2022 at 7:49 AM, ProfCrash said:

Natalia got the arches on the second take. 

Profcrash was detailing a podcast when they said this.

49 minutes ago, Roccos Brother said:

I just wanted to say - kudos to Natalia for being the only one to get the column counting challenge correct on the first try. If Arun had performed better in the rowing challenge, who knows how that might have changed the end result for that leg.

6 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

The energy was totally different between K/P and R/C. 

Details, please. Do you mean that the energy was different between the two teams, or the energy was different between the teammates?

I know Cayla and Raquel giggled more, while Kim and Penn were generally calmer and more methodical.

It seems like the four of them got along. On the Holderness’s podcast, they talked about ways the would sneak to talk to each other when they weren’t racing. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, topanga said:

Details, please. Do you mean that the energy was different between the two teams, or the energy was different between the teammates?

I know Cayla and Raquel giggled more, while Kim and Penn were generally calmer and more methodical.

It seems like the four of them got along. On the Holderness’s podcast, they talked about ways the would sneak to talk to each other when they weren’t racing. 

Lulu and Lala were talking about the finish line. K/P were super excited and over joyed because they had won. C/R were trying to hold it together because they were really disappointed that they had come in second. It makes total sense. Lulu and Lala wanted C/R to be happier because they had finished 2nd but C/R were pretty disappointed.

You can see that it still stings both Raquel and Cayla when they talk about it. I think not only losing, but losing when they thought they had it won. And the money really would have helped them both. I mean, the money helps Kim and Penn but it would have been very different for C/R because they are just starting families and really got hammered by the pandemic. 

Lulu and Lala didn't say if C/R were held back while Phil talked to K/P only that C/R came through the tunnel about 20 minutes after K/P. If there were not held back, it took C/R about 40-45 minutes to finish the task. Penn estimated it took them about 6 minutes and C/R said that K/P arrived about 15 minutes after C/R. 

What really has impressed me with all the podcasts is how supportive that the cast seems to be of each other. They didn't have to go to Miami or hang out at the pool party or go out and karaoke. They choose to do those things and the pictures and videos have massive smiles. Some of them may have been not so great to awful at the Race but they seem to be good people who have embraced this experience and each other. It is nice to see. It gives me the warm fuzzies.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, ProfCrash said:

Lulu and Lala were talking about the finish line. K/P were super excited and over joyed because they had won. C/R were trying to hold it together because they were really disappointed that they had come in second. It makes total sense. Lulu and Lala wanted C/R to be happier because they had finished 2nd but C/R were pretty disappointed.

Ah, thanks. Cayla & Raquel said they took us a few extra minutes before coming through the tunnel because they wanted to have their cry and be disappointed alone. they because they wanted to be able to congratulate Penn and Kim sincerely and not take away from their moment. 

Kim says that while she was really happy that they’d won, she immediately felt extremely sad and disappointed for Cayla and Raquel because they’d done so well, especially in the second half of the race. And they were so close to winning. 

There’s a study showing that Olympians who win silver medals are more disappointed than those who win bronze medals. The silver medalist is comparing themselves to the gold medal winner, whereas the bronze medal winners compare themselves to people who didn’t win anything. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 6
17 hours ago, topanga said:

There’s a study showing that Olympians who win silver medals are more disappointed than those who win bronze medals. The silver medalist is comparing themselves to the gold medal winner, whereas the bronze medal winners compare themselves to people who didn’t win anything. 

A perfect example of this is basketball, hockey, softball, etc. Gold medal game-the winning team of that game gets the Gold. The losing team of that game “wins” silver. However in the Bronze metal game, the winning gets a medal and the losing team does not. So in those instances, Gold and Bronze won their medals and the Silver loses the Gold.

Edited by chitowngirl
  • Love 3
On 3/11/2022 at 4:26 PM, topanga said:

On 3/12/2022 at 10:05 AM, chitowngirl said:

A perfect example of this is basketball, hockey, softball, etc. Gold medal game-the winning team of that game gets the Gold. The losing team of that game “wins” silver. However in the Bronze metal game, the winning gets a medal and the losing team does not. So in those instances, Gold and Bronze won their medals and the Silver loses the Gold.

I would think it depends on whether the competitor was expected to be a gold medal favourite or not.  If someone was expected to win gold, but gets silver or bronze, yes, of course I would think they will be disappointed.  But if someone wasn't expected to win anything at all, and wins a silver, I think they would be happier than the bronze medallist.

Look at the year that Michelle Kwan was touted as the heavy gold medal favourite (after winning silver behind Tara Lipinski four years earlier).  She biffed and fell and ended up in bronze.  I don't think she would have been happier than the silver place finisher, anything less than gold was a disappointment to her.

In this situation of the race, I would say that all three teams could have won.  I think in Raquel and Cayla's case, they were really disappointed because of how close they came to winning.  They were there at the tennis board and got passed up.  I don't think Ryan and Dusty are necessarily happier than them to get third, because their early mistake really did cost them the win.

On the other hand, if Natalia and Arun had made it to the finals, I think they would have been happy with any position, just happy to be there because they didn't expect it.

• Love 1

If COVID did not happen, the race would continue filming legs and conclude on March 16, 2020 as being posted on Spencer's Instagram page two years ago that he would be back on SM the following day. At least producers had kept the planned Los Angeles finale but the COVID lockdown was already in force when it happened.

By the way, March 16 would have been the second anniversary of the end of TAR 33 filming if COVID should not exist.

Edited by ApprenticeFan
3 minutes ago, showme said:

May I ask why?

Probably because he was awarded $11 million for his wrongful conviction although he collected under $3 million in a settlement agreement.

Whether he needs it or not he would have deserved it for winning just as he deserved every penny of his award.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Welshman in Ca said:

Whether he needs it or not he would have deserved it for winning just as he deserved every penny of his award.

I mean he would have, if he had won, which he didn't.

It still meant that I was rooting less for him than for the parents, who have kids, who'll go to college in a few short years.

• Love 1

Way late to the thread. But, better late than never, I suppose.

Congratulations to Kim an Penn. He was a little high-energy, but I liked their team. 

This TAR season had it's issues, but I was glad to see it completed. Here's to hoping when the next season airs, COVID will go down more, and the race can travel out to more nations.

• Love 2