Type keyword(s) to search

S33.E10: No Room for Error/S33.E11: In the Hands of the Amazing Race Gods

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, bunnyface said:

After watching Colin yell several times, my mother (not a TAR watcher) finally asked me what that was about.  I got to explain the whole situation to her.  My parents are ranchers, so they had an idea of what was supposed to be happening, just not why he was so upset.  It was great fun.

I did the same for my husband, and was absolutely delighted to do so.  “My ox is broken!  This is bullshit!” could really be a part of every show I watch and it would be perfect.

Penn never once grew on me, but since no team post-COVID start really moved me one way or the other, his and Kim’s victory is just fine.  One thing I did like about them is that Kim was in no way dragged along to the finish line by her partner.  She held her own and then some.

• Love 5

Though I was rooting for Raquel & Cayla, I was happy for Kim & Penn. They were such strong racers and I love that Kim's meticulous note taking and drawings helped them overtake R&C in the final task. I also loved Penn thanking the crew for keeping the season going after COVID changed everything. This season had to have been the most difficult to pull off and the camera & sound people that travel with the racers were undoubtedly a big part of it. 

I also LOVE that they included perhaps the most famous moment in TAR history: "My ox is broken! This is bullshit!!". That foley task was harder than I thought it would be. 

I really enjoyed this season because there weren't too many assholes among the racers. I was leery of Kim & Penn and the singing cops because of their social media "fame", but thankfully they did not turn out to be annoying like previous social media stunt castings. Please, TAR, no more social media "influencers"; let's go back to casting regular folks. I'm so happy we got this season and hope we continue to get many more. 

• Love 5
Just now, bunnyblue said:

I really enjoyed this season because there weren't too many assholes among the racers. I was leery of Kim & Penn and the singing cops because of their social media "fame", but thankfully they did not turn out to be annoying like previous social media stunt castings. Please, TAR, no more social media "influencers"; let's go back to casting regular folks. 

To be honest, I've never been influenced by a social media influencer.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 15
3 hours ago, tracyscott76 said:
3 hours ago, dgpolo said:

I really thought one side was shorter than the other, was it just me? looking down towards the end I thought the one on the left had less columns than the right hand one.

Could be. The good news is, we don't really have to worry about it!

It looked like it was a fairly irregular construction, and in the defense of people guessing odd numbers, some old buildings are asymetrical. It's not completely irrational to suspect the answer was an odd number if everything was a blur 3/4 of the way.

I'm not sure why Penn's prescription glasses weren't good enough for him to see that amount of detail, though. I assume getting an up to date pair is the kind of thing you'd have on your check list before the starting line, but maybe there wasn't much time this season to get ready?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, vousviou said:

It looked like it was a fairly irregular construction, and in the defense of people guessing odd numbers, some old buildings are asymetrical. It's not completely irrational to suspect the answer was an odd number if everything was a blur 3/4 of the way.

I'm not sure why Penn's prescription glasses weren't good enough for him to see that amount of detail, though. I assume getting an up to date pair is the kind of thing you'd have on your check list before the starting line, but maybe there wasn't much time this season to get ready?

I think his glasses are for reading and other close work. His distance is probably fine for driving, it’s just fine detail that is difficult. It’s just a part of getting old. My eyes are the same. I can see road signs just fine but trying to see those columns would be very difficult. My glasses are the cheaters I buy from Walmart as I only need them to read. 

• Love 10
22 hours ago, katalizt said:

We need more route marker tasks. 

Absolutely.  That's one thing that marked the other country versions I've watched, particularly China:  lots of tasks just to get a route marker.  Makes for a much more interesting show than the one detour and a roadblock routine. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

I have watched this episode but producers kept the Los Angeles leg as originally planned in 2020 when it shelved during the suspension and it actually used for production after the Portugal leg. Although the LA leg was put in itinerary on a proposed filming schedule of March 16, 2020. Spencer posted on his IG two years ago that all of the racers are without internet access from February 18, 2020 until the intended end date of March 17 as planned.

The first season did not visit Asia at all. Because the original route was to include Asia when COVID suspended the race for 19 months.

Edited by ApprenticeFan
  • Useful 1
(edited)
On 3/2/2022 at 9:54 PM, North of Eden said:

Disagree that the pie scene was in the top 5  memorable....it should have been replaced  with the caterwaling Flo spinning around in a circular straw boat in I think it was Viet Nam. Now that was classic

That's not a clip that would require Foley work.  That would require dubbing.

19 hours ago, Haleth said:

The finale must have been early Sunday morning?

I looked at the TAR wiki, and it says that final legs are typically shot early on weekends or mid-day during the middle of the week.  I suspect that it's the latter in this case because....

17 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

I was a bit disappointed that not all of the pre-covid teams were at the final mat as I was looking forward to seeing them because I liked them and missed them returning to the Race. 

I did note that all the teams at the finish line were the teams that were originally part of the restart, including the husbands that left Switzerland before the restart because the one's brother passed due to Covid complications a couple days before filming resumed.  So only 3 of the starting 11 teams weren't there.

• Connie was 7 months pregnant when the restart began, so was practically ready to pop by the finals, which is a reasonable explanation for her and Sam not showing.
  • Caro couldn't restart the Race because of visa issues, and I assume they couldn't (or wouldn't) get a visa for her for a glorified cameo, so that explains her and Ray not at the final Mat.
  • And Anthony had recently got a dream job which is why he and Spencer didn't return.  That didn't preclude them not being at the final Mat, but if the finale were shot during the work week (as noted above), then that probably would.  And the date of this video on YouTube of the Amazing Plane landing at LAX would seem to concur.

(Posted on Sept. 16, 2021; a Thursday.  Short enough and unedited so it's possible to be an easy same-day upload, but more likely a next-day one.  Meaning arriving on Wednesday the 15th.)

Edited by SVNBob
  • Love 6

Just caught the finale. Gotta say that this was one of the best designed finales in a while. Every task was meaningfully difficult and the teams' skill in completing each mattered. The elevator task created separation, Kim and Penn doing the Foley task as well as they did led to them getting directions from the same person that the FAs did. And the final puzzle task was a good level of difficulty with no wonkiness. No random bungee jumping or eating a random local delicacy filler tasks. 

• Love 12
6 hours ago, vousviou said:

I had Lasik surgery in the hopes that afterwards, glasses would be able to correct my vision to 20/20. No such luck, though with glasses I'm now at about 20/40, and can walk around without glasses with no fear of bumping into things, falling off ledges, or walking into traffic. So I can fully understand why someone would have trouble with any task that required being able to see detail at a distance. (Though I still don't understand why none of the racers seemed to try to improve their angle by standing at the edges of the stone rectangle.)

I also think it was unfair that only one door required that the doorknob be painted. (Even though that has nothing to do with glasses, and had nothing to do with the final outcome.)

• Love 6
1 hour ago, SVNBob said:

That's not a clip that would require Foley work.  That would require dubbing.

I looked at the TAR wiki, and it says that final legs are typically shot early on weekends or mid-day during the middle of the week.  I suspect that it's the latter in this case because....

I did note that all the teams at the finish line were the teams that were originally part of the restart, including the husbands that left Switzerland before the restart because the one's brother passed due to Covid complications a couple days before filming resumed.  So only 3 of the starting 11 teams weren't there.

• Connie was 7 months pregnant when the restart began, so was practically ready to pop by the finals, which is a reasonable explanation for her and Sam not showing.
  • Caro couldn't restart the Race because of visa issues, and I assume they couldn't (or wouldn't) get a visa for her for a glorified cameo, so that explains her and Ray not at the final Mat.
  • And Anthony had recently got a dream job which is why he and Spencer didn't return.  That didn't preclude them not being at the final Mat, but if the finale were shot during the work week (as noted above), then that probably would.  And the date of this video on YouTube of the Amazing Plane landing at LAX would seem to concur.

(Posted on Sept. 16, 2021; a Thursday.  Short enough and unedited so it's possible to be an easy same-day upload, but more likely a next-day one.  Meaning arriving on Wednesday the 15th.)

According to Penn, the race restarted filming on September 19, 2021 and the finale in LA filmed on October 6.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
15 minutes ago, ApprenticeFan said:

According to Penn, the race restarted filming on September 19, 2021 and the finale in LA filmed on October 6.

Interesting.  That would seem to imply that the footage posted to YouTube would be of the Amazing Plane arriving in LA to pick up the teams to go to Switzerland and may have been filmed even further back before posting.

But the final leg date of Oct 6th is a Wednesday, which still fits my reasoning for Anthony and Spencer not being at the finish line.

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, ApprenticeFan said:

So that september 16th landing of the plane in LA was probably to gather crew and contestants. They probably made another stop on the east coast and then flew to switzerland.

Good to know.

Edited by Zonk
1 hour ago, Zonk said:

So that september 16th landing of the plane in LA was probably to gather crew and contestants. They probably made another stop on the east coast and then flew to switzerland.

Good to know.

That is right. Here's the list of dates in the resumption race:

• September 16, 2021: Teams began to race again; leaving LAX to Zurich, Switzerland
  • September 17, 2021: Teams arrived in Switzerland
  • September 19, 2021: Leg 4 finally began in St. Gallen after nearly 19-month suspension
  • September 21, 2021: Leg 5 begins and travelled to Lugano
  • September 22, 2021: Teams leaving Switzerland to Corsica, France via Milan, Italy
  • September 23, 2021: Leg 6 begins in Corsica
  • September 25, 2021: Leg 7 begins and still in Corsica
  • September 26, 2021: Teams travel to Thessaloniki, Greece
  • September 28, 2021: Leg 8 begins and travelled to Halkidiki
  • September 30, 2021: Leg 9 begins and travelled to Thessaloniki
  • October 2, 2021: Teams leaving Greece to Portugal
  • October 3, 2021: Leg 10 begins in Almada and travel to Setubal
  • October 4, 2021: Teams leaving Portugal to the United States
  • October 6, 2021: Leg 11 begins in Los Angeles
  • Useful 3
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, SVNBob said:

I looked at the TAR wiki, and it says that final legs are typically shot early on weekends or mid-day during the middle of the week.

No way was that mid day during the week traffic in LA.

Dang it, I was in LA just days before they arrived.  Just missed them!

• Love 1

I hope TPTB take a cue from this season and realize that you can have a competitive and exciting Race with likeable people. In the beginning, I was leery of Kim and Penn because "Internet Personality" can mean a lot of negative things. I'm glad I was proven wrong, and I really liked this season overall.

• Love 12
On 3/2/2022 at 7:10 PM, toodywoody said:

I'm happy with who won. Especially since they were the first older team to win. I'm glad my show is back and I loved them panning out to the photographers. I loved this season, it might not have been what it was in the past and it might never be again, but I am glad it's still on.

For years I have wanted a "post show" show about the camera work and other behind the scenes details. It would be fascinating.

There is the Talking Dead for The Walking Dead - we need something for the Amazing Race, particularily this season when so much happened behind the scenes to make a flowing show out of a still pandemic world.

• Love 8
(edited)
On 3/3/2022 at 5:04 PM, vousviou said:

I'm only guessing, but he's old enough to wear progressive lenses and those can be hard to look through at distances because you tend to tilt your head up when doing so, but then you're looking through the lower, magnified part of the lens, which is only meant for close seeing. Yesterday I was in an unfamiliar store and trying to look down to the far end of each aisle and it was murder. Everything just blurs out. If you see a person with glasses bobbling their heads around while looking at something, they're probably wearing progressives and trying to find the sweet spot.

It would have been funny if Dusty and Ryan had removed their shirts at the finish line. Maybe they were too sad. I don't mind Dusty, but he talks so much. When he was going on and on and said he hoped they gave a voice to the wrongfully convicted, I thought it would be nice if he'd be quiet for a second and let the only one of them who had been wrongfully convicted actually speak. But kudos to the editors for cutting to the cops at that moment, nodding proudly, like, "yes, we've arrested the wrong guy lots of times."

Edited by fishcakes
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, ApprenticeFan said:

That is right. Here's the list of dates in the resumption race:

• September 16, 2021: Teams began to race again; leaving LAX to Zurich, Switzerland
  • September 17, 2021: Teams arrived in Switzerland
  • September 19, 2021: Leg 4 finally began in St. Gallen after nearly 19-month suspension
  • September 21, 2021: Leg 5 begins and travelled to Lugano
  • September 22, 2021: Teams leaving Switzerland to Corsica, France via Milan, Italy
  • September 23, 2021: Leg 6 begins in Corsica
  • September 25, 2021: Leg 7 begins and still in Corsica
  • September 26, 2021: Teams travel to Thessaloniki, Greece
  • September 28, 2021: Leg 8 begins and travelled to Halkidiki
  • September 30, 2021: Leg 9 begins and travelled to Thessaloniki
  • October 2, 2021: Teams leaving Greece to Portugal
  • October 3, 2021: Leg 10 begins in Almada and travel to Setubal
  • October 4, 2021: Teams leaving Portugal to the United States
  • October 6, 2021: Leg 11 begins in Los Angeles

So 7 legs in about 20-21 days.

Is that typical of the shooting schedule in other seasons or did they comprise it more?

I thought in previous seasons racers had free time to explore the places on their own.

(edited)
1 hour ago, aghst said:

So 7 legs in about 20-21 days.

Is that typical of the shooting schedule in other seasons or did they comprise it more?

I thought in previous seasons racers had free time to explore the places on their own.

I think, if anything, they usually would have more than 7 legs over 3 weeks.  In the intial season(s), the pit stops were 12 hours and then they were off again.  Even in subsequent seasons, the racers said they had virtually no free time to explore between legs.  This is a fairly expensive reality show to produce and TPTB aren't going to waste time with sight seeing.

Seasons have generally had 11 or 12 legs and take between 3 and 4 weeks to film. so less time off than in this past season.  I presume they had to add time between legs to complete cleaning and COVID testing protocols before flying off to the next destination.

Edited by Rootbeer
  • Love 1

I can't say I'm surprised Kim and Penn won but I wound up being surprised that I actually was HAPPY that they did- as I had expected not to like them  but over the course of the Race, they wound up charming me  more than I expected (though I found Penn to be more likable than Kim).  

It would have been nice for the Flight Attendants to win but I'm not disappointed that they came in second.

As for Ryan and Dusty? I knew that they'd not see the forest for the trees until too late- AGAIN because they'd consistently done so all along. Anyway, while I'm sure Ryan was grateful to have had the experience and won't cry over spilt milk, I can't say I'm sure Dusty won't keep wondering why he wasn't a 'contenda'!  

• Love 5

I love Kim and Penn and I am not ashamed to say it! They worked in media before they gained social media fame, so the foley task seemed right up their alley. I was nervous when they were on the race because I really like them and sometimes you see a bad side of people on these shows, but they really do have a great partnership. They clearly love each other and they LIKE each other.  Having been married so long they know how to communicate with each other and how to handle each other when they get emotional. It was so nice to see a partnership like that on this show.

Actually, all three of the final teams were this way. I didn't really like Dusty (not generally a fan of the dude bro type) but Ryan knew exactly what to do with him during the rock task when he called him up to take in the view. And the girls were also so supportive of each other, never getting snippy or catty. This was one of the best final three I think I've seen, and the order of finishing was exactly what I wanted. 

• Love 18

From different podcasts, Kim had a panic attack the morning of the Portugal leg and almost quit. Penn actually called the producers to let them know and somehow she decided to go ahead and take it one step at a time. Penn said the producers handled it well although I’m sure they were initially panicking.

They don’t plan to change their lifestyle. For example, Penn damaged Kim’s car and rather than buying a new car, they are just going to fix the dent. 

Ryan and Dusty were only 22 minutes behind Rachelle and Cayla at the finish. I haven’t heard how far behind they were from Kim and Penn but Dusty did mention that they (the FAs) had a 15 minute head start on the final challenge. I’m guessing that was a traffic quirk. Cayla said when Penn and Kim showed up, she knew they (her and Rachel) would lose.

Kim said the best training she had for this was her years as a reporter when she would use a map to tell a coworker how to get to whatever story they were covering. She worked in Orlando at one point which is not exactly the easiest place to navigate quickly. 

I haven’t see Ryan on any of these podcasts and no reason has been given. Dusty was on Lala/Lulu’s earlier this week and said Ryan was busy. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

Yeah, if that leg in Portugal was running at half speed and barely functioning then, well, the other teams were screwed when she got out of her head. 

I did laugh that she said that they sucked at finding things, like the clue that was a clue that Penn thought wasn't a clue. But there were times they missed the clue box and the flags for parking and a bunch of other things. 

• Love 5
On 3/2/2022 at 7:08 PM, dizzyd said:

I didn’t like the door knob. All the door knobs were in the picture just the others were part of the background while one was on the sardine. 

I've seen what people say about their doorknob being in the middle and therefore part of the picture, but it seems like other doorknobs should have been painted at least the background color. 

On 3/2/2022 at 7:14 PM, Zonk said:

I'm happy with this whole thing. Hope the next season will come soon. Is there anything known when that will be filming or nothing yet?

The casting site says filming in May for 25-30 days. https://www.theamazingracecasting.com/home

On 3/2/2022 at 7:34 PM, iMonrey said:

.Pleasant and competent as Kim and Penn were, I still take issue with the show casting so many internet personalities and social media celebs. It's really gotten out of hand and I long for the days when they just cast regular folks who applied. At least half the teams are recruited with the hopes that their online followers will boost ratings. 

I agree with this in general, and was disappointed at first with all of the personalities. But at least we ended up with some real fans and they had real relationships (after that dating couple left) -- the most interesting part of the show for me is how people who already have an existing relationship work things out on the race. 

On 3/2/2022 at 7:54 PM, North of Eden said:

Side note...the editing wasn't clear if Arun shouting out cost him missing out the Vasca De Gama boat (which I couldn't believe didn't go first ...

That was the only one I knew! I did think it was unfair that Arun had to get out of his boat to be told he had the wrong answer, when Dusty/Ryan (never could figure them out) got to stay in his boat and be told he was wrong. 

On 3/2/2022 at 9:25 PM, eskimo said:

I was worried that the FA would get penalized for leaving their Route Info behind with the map.  IIRC, it used to be a rule?  I swear I remember a team getting dinged for not having all their leg documents.   

I was sure that would happen, Good on the Amazing Camera Team/Person for getting that shot. 

On 3/3/2022 at 7:01 AM, preeya said:

The one thing I really liked about the shortened/altered season was the omission of airport, tickets, and taxi drama. 

I used to really like the airport/tickets drama when it was a free for all. After Colin's masterful job (I think in Egypt he had them in front of everyone by a whole day) they really put limits so that no one would get that far ahead again. 

I was glad the guys lost after how awful one of them was at the door painting thing, even before they got flustered about the doorknob, when Arun and Natalya "finally showed up" or whatever one of them said. 

I thought that Penn was really smart to change the counting columns "vision challenge" into a "running challenge." I never would've guessed odd numbers, though now I think that would have been a good trick. I was impressed that Natalya got it right on her first guess. 

• Love 3
41 minutes ago, Netfoot said:

At the mat Penn was gushing with praise while Kim looked like what she'd really prefer is to gouge out one of his eyes with her thumb!

There is an interesting post game interview in their thread.  They’ve done lots of couples therapy as well as learning to deal with their own and their partner’s mental health issues.  He has ADHD and she has such severe anxiety she almost quit when they arrived in Portugal.  

• Love 4
On 3/3/2022 at 11:36 AM, proserpina65 said:

it's not like Penn & Kim don't have other jobs; they work in video production.

This fact is what makes me have some distaste for the last leg. The producers had to know that if Kim and Penn made it to the last three they would have a huge advantage in that Foley task. Seemed a bit slanted to me, and sure enough they made up a significant chunk of time on that task.

Oh well, they are nice people and worked hard the whole race. Congrats to them, But I still would have been happier if the FA team won.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Yeah, I think Penn actually mentioned that this was in their wheel house. I mean, their jobs are to make videos. Penn edits videos, including sound effects. They use different techniques, not the foley type stuff that we saw, but they understood the process and timing better. It still took them a few tries. You heard Kim say they needed to watch the demo again.  They slowed down and watched the demo again. 

That said, they are in LA and it is not the first time that they have had a movie making type task in the race when in LA. 

But Kim and Penn made up time there. 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Mediocre Gatsby said:

I've seen what people say about their doorknob being in the middle and therefore part of the picture, but it seems like other doorknobs should have been painted at least the background color. 

On 3/2/2022 at 9:08 PM, dizzyd said:

I didn’t like the door knob. All the door knobs were in the picture just the others were part of the background while one was on the sardine. 

Penn and Kim's knob was to the side against the background color, but they did stripe some of those waves onto the base of their doorknob. Arun and Natalia's knob was entirely off to the side and just had the ship rigging on it. Raquel and Cayla, though - their knob was right in the middle of the area they painted green, but they weren't required to paint it? The only thing I can think of is that it was considered background and not part of the image? Still, if the boys were comparing their door to the gals', the doorkob would not be an obvious difference.

• Love 1

Listening to Kim and Penn’s podcast. They mentioned that they painted a purple line on their doorknob. Just and FYI. But it was one line.

They also go over Kim’s panic attack and how it influenced the Portugal leg. She said the boat she picked was a name she saw on the street signs. And it was pretty. 

• Love 4
18 hours ago, Netfoot said:

At the mat Penn was gushing with praise while Kim looked like what she'd really prefer is to gouge out one of his eyes with her thumb!

And she didn't even appear to have been willing/able to muster even the word 'thanks' to reply to his kudos of her-much less attempt to respond in kind. 

10 minutes ago, Blergh said:

And she didn't even appear to have been willing/able to muster even the word 'thanks' to reply to his kudos of her-much less attempt to respond in kind. 

My guess is that a) she was overwhelmed and  b) still reeling from her panic attack.  Having been in both places I don’t think you are always going to respond in the prescribed ways.   It’s not easy…and given that she has severe anxiety I think she is/was doing as she says “the best she can” - and I personally think she did just fine!

• Love 23
(edited)
13 hours ago, Sarahsmile416 said:

My guess is that a) she was overwhelmed and  b) still reeling from her panic attack.  Having been in both places I don’t think you are always going to respond in the prescribed ways.   It’s not easy…and given that she has severe anxiety I think she is/was doing as she says “the best she can” - and I personally think she did just fine!

Even giving Kim ALL the above benefit of the doubt, I seriously doubt that her  uttering the word 'thanks' would  have been the last straw to cause her to collapse into a nervous breakdown. Oh, and I'd be saying the same thing if SHE had given Penn lavish kudos and he hadn't so much as attempted to utter 'thanks' in response. Yeah, boo me. 

Edited by Blergh

If they have millions of subscribers on Youtube, they may already be making good money.

Plus whatever they may have saved from their days in TV.

So if they're not spending more after winning TAR prize, probably more money to leave to their kids but that's a long ways off.

• Useful 1
13 minutes ago, aghst said:

If they have millions of subscribers on Youtube, they may already be making good money.

Plus whatever they may have saved from their days in TV.

So if they're not spending more after winning TAR prize, probably more money to leave to their kids but that's a long ways off.

College for the kids, so their kids can go any where. Charities get 30% of what they take home after taxes. They didn't name the charities. 

ETA: I would put solid money that they are not allowed to give money to the other Racers or I would bet that they would give money to Raquel and Cayla. They seem to be very attached to the other racers and vice versa.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
22 minutes ago, aghst said:

30% for charities?

That is a lot.

Charities should be tax write-offs though, especially if they set up a business.

Yeah, not sure how all of that works but that is what they said in their podcast. It doesn't surprise me that they are donating money but the amount is higher then I would have thought. They are in a good place financially. Kim is thrilled that her kids can go wherever they want to go for college because Kim's options were pretty limited due to finances. 

A few notes: The cast went out to a dive karaoke bar on Thursday night and had a blast. 

Kim discusses her Portugal panic attack

Kim mentions that the boat she choose had a name on it that she remembered from a street sign while navigating and that it was pretty and she thought that was important for some reason.

The flag was stupid easy to find but it was trickier on the ground.

They thought that Dusty called them a cake buffalo. I could have sworn he said cape buffalo but they thought he said cake buffalo and thought it was hilarious. 

The entire sardine can was color by number except for the shadowed letters which is why they missed those. Their version of the door knob. 

They stopped and asked someone else for directions asking the same due that Cayla and Raquel did. He gave them the same directions but his phone died so they couldn't look at a map and that made them uncomfortable. 

They were stuck in traffic for an hour on the way to the memory task. They got there about 8 minutes after Cayla and Raquel. 

Kim said no one knew what the coin looked like because none of them spent any time looking at the coin. They all just wanted to get out of there. 

They overthought some of the pictures in the final challenge because the pictures of the truck and boat were right but not their truck and boat and they didn't know if they had to have their own color truck and boat. 

• Love 2
On 3/4/2022 at 4:43 AM, ProfCrash said:

I am mainly posting exit interview comments in the team threads but I figured that some people would be relieved to know that there is no way Kim ever returns to run the Race. 

There's no reason for a past winner to return to the race.  I guess if they have an All-Stars, but given that they're not hurting for money presumably, the anxiety and stress I'm guessing would be too much for her again.

On 3/4/2022 at 7:24 AM, fishcakes said:

I'm only guessing, but he's old enough to wear progressive lenses and those can be hard to look through at distances because you tend to tilt your head up when doing so, but then you're looking through the lower, magnified part of the lens, which is only meant for close seeing. Yesterday I was in an unfamiliar store and trying to look down to the far end of each aisle and it was murder. Everything just blurs out. If you see a person with glasses bobbling their heads around while looking at something, they're probably wearing progressives and trying to find the sweet spot.

I always thought the "nerd glasses" or whatever he called them were just reading glasses.  We never saw him wear glasses at any other time in the race, right?  So there's no way they are progressives.  He's over 40, very common to be farsighted meaning you can't see items close up.  It's why our parents would always take off their glasses when they needed to read.  He was tying knots in the fishing net, so that's when he put his glasses on.  Glasses meant for presbyopia will do nothing to help you with seeing at a long distance.

21 hours ago, bearcatfan said:

They don’t plan to change their lifestyle. For example, Penn damaged Kim’s car and rather than buying a new car, they are just going to fix the dent. 

Ryan and Dusty were only 22 minutes behind Rachelle and Cayla at the finish. I haven’t heard how far behind they were from Kim and Penn but Dusty did mention that they (the FAs) had a 15 minute head start on the final challenge. I’m guessing that was a traffic quirk. Cayla said when Penn and Kim showed up, she knew they (her and Rachel) would lose.

Kim said the best training she had for this was her years as a reporter when she would use a map to tell a coworker how to get to whatever story they were covering. She worked in Orlando at one point which is not exactly the easiest place to navigate quickly. 

I haven’t see Ryan on any of these podcasts and no reason has been given. Dusty was on Lala/Lulu’s earlier this week and said Ryan was busy. 

Well, they're already successful from their social media, so while an extra $1M is nice, it wouldn't be life changing like it would have been for the flight attendants.  I like that they seem very down to earth and aren't going to blow their money on a Lambo.  Seems like Ryan bought a lot of cars after his settlement.

Wow, only 22 minutes?  Seemed like at the elevator task, it wasn't clear if each team took their own tower.  At one point, Ryan and Dusty clearly were at a tower that one of the other two teams were already at because the lock was undone.

I'm continually surprised how difficult people think map reading is.  Maybe it's a sign of my age.  I suppose with smart phones and gps these days, there really is no need to know.  But it seems like a simple skill that doesn't require a lot of smarts.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, ByaNose said:

Now, we have to start all over again to hear when a new season will be filmed and then aired. It’s like the good ole days. LOL!!!

And season 33 was my last TAR season I ever watched. I will miss this reality show that I had been addicted for 20 years since the glory days of season one.

30 minutes ago, ApprenticeFan said:

And season 33 was my last TAR season I ever watched. I will miss this reality show that I had been addicted for 20 years since the glory days of season one.

So you won’t be watching another season? Did you not like this season? 

• Love 3