Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E15: Payroll, a Waterwall and Wham!

jewel21
  • Start Topic

Gina struggles to keep Valley Hills running smoothly after Mrs. Ludlum quits and starts work at a rival assisted living facility. Also, Drew wonders whether he should go on another road trip adventure or stay close to Gina.

Airdate: 03/03/2022

9 hours ago, jewel21 said:

Also, Drew wonders whether he should go on another road trip adventure or stay close to Gina.

[shapeshifter] Hey, Drew: You know that Gina can't give you another kidney, right?

[Drew] Right. Road trip it is!
</end-annoyed-snark>

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

Well, that was that. Don't let the door hit ya, Drew!

Hey, I want to move there, too. I see a mass exodus. Wow, Gina finally realizes you actually need some skills to run a retirement home, or anything else. Too bad she's down to one kidney and she gave the other to a jackass.

Guess next week is the SERIES finale since I don't see this being renewed anytime soon.

Edited by Ms Lark
  • Love 3
39 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Is there no price difference between the two retirement homes? Could anyone other than a wealthy person afford the more expensive one? 

THat's what I was thinking. Maybe the other place has all those amenities because it charges 10x the fee to live there.

Yes, Gina needs to learn how to do things like pay bills, and yes frankly they have too much on duty drug use among the staffers. But unless she's mismanaging the money to an extreme, i.e. criminal, degree, the reason the other place is so much more luxurious is that it costs a lot more.

• Love 8

That's what I was thinking. Maybe the other place has all those amenities because it charges 10x the fee to live there.

Same. Golden Horizons must be ten times as expensive as Valley Hills. Cruises aren't cheap. Insurance might pay for some of it, but they won't pay 100% and the amount is going to vary depending on what kind of coverage you have. They never once addressed this even though Mrs. Ludlam admitted they kicked someone out when they lost their insurance. So it definitely wasn't the Shangri-La they were making it out to be. 

• Love 3

Drew needs to go home and get back to work. In life, he would pay child support, possibly alimony, and medical & drug expenses related to transplant. His "job" at the Valley Hills can't support all that. Sell that RV, get the house back (can't remember if he sold it or not) and go back to work as a counselor. Drop in to see the folks at VH every 4-5 episodes, then fade into background. If they are going to keep Drew, at least bring back Sara Rue, but not the sullen kid.

• Love 4
(edited)
6 hours ago, MarthaEllisanne said:

Drew needs to go home and get back to work. In life, he would pay child support, possibly alimony, and medical & drug expenses related to transplant. His "job" at the Valley Hills can't support all that. Sell that RV, get the house back (can't remember if he sold it or not) and go back to work as a counselor. Drop in to see the folks at VH every 4-5 episodes, then fade into background. If they are going to keep Drew, at least bring back Sara Rue, but not the sullen kid.

He did sell the house, but seriously, what is he living on? I'm sure he made some money on it (especially since he didn't buy another house and is parking his RV for free in the home's parking lot) but it's not gonna last long with his medical expenses. They seem to have forgotten he even has a kid.

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 2
On 3/3/2022 at 9:59 PM, Ms Lark said:

Guess next week is the SERIES finale since I don't see this being renewed anytime soon.

The rating are oddly not terrible. I think it probably gets canceled, too (more because it's so terrible that I don't think CBS will be interested in renewing it, while if it was a more critically acclaimed series, they'd be willing to stick with it), but it's surprisingly still in toss-up status. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

The show is awful; I watch because of the great cast. Where else will I see Jane Seymour play a 80 year old sex kitten?

She's 71, actually. 🙃

I agree about the cast, the retirement home is is a veritable who's who from Linda Lavin to Ben Vereen, from Jim Beaver to Hector Elizondo. And I really like Annaleigh Ashford too. 

I think the show is OK. Its main problem is Drew; they really have a hard time keeping him relevant after the transplant and since shifting the story to Valley Hills. There's also just lot of animosity towards the actor since those stories about him broke on social media. The show probably should have cut their losses and written him off at the start of the season.

• Love 7
On 3/5/2022 at 2:41 PM, Brian Cronin said:

The rating are oddly not terrible. I think it probably gets canceled, too (more because it's so terrible that I don't think CBS will be interested in renewing it, while if it was a more critically acclaimed series, they'd be willing to stick with it), but it's surprisingly still in toss-up status. 

Chuck Lorre is one of the producers so CBS is more likely to renew it than a non-Chuck-Lorre show.  

• Useful 1
(edited)
8 hours ago, needschocolate said:

Chuck Lorre is one of the producers so CBS is more likely to renew it than a non-Chuck-Lorre show.  

I do agree with that, but he has three other sitcoms that have either already been renewed (Bob Hearts Abishola and Young Sheldon) or are very likely to be renewed (United States of Al) and you have to figure that he has at least one new one in pilot form right now, right? So I think being the lowest-performing Chuck Lorre sitcom still puts you in a fairly undesirable position.

That said, the fact that they swapped B Positive and United States With Al in the time slots suggests that they want to see how much of Al is just Young Sheldon lead-in and whether B Positive might do just as well as Al if it had the time slot, also. 

EDITED TO ADD: In a very good sign for B Positive, the time switch more or less saw the ratings swap with Al, so it's basically on par with Al, ratings-wise, so I think they might actually renew both now. 

Edited by Brian Cronin
  • Love 3

This show just fell off a cliff for me. Honestly, I'm comparing two mostly mediocre shows, but United States of Al, which I did not like at all at the beginning, feels more cohesive to me these days.  I feel like on this show, they keep bringing in likeable actors as a means of fixing a fundamental writing problem.  It's just not good. Had hopes after the first season. My hopes are now that a better show gets a shot next season.  

• Love 2