Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E09: I Will Tell of All Your Deeds

• Start Topic

I KNEW IT! 

And keeping the toilet baby tradition going! 

OMG -- when the spotlight came on Danny McBride/Jesse having his Johnny Cash moment, I burst out laughing. 

Probably the best episode so far . . . great wrap-up to season 2 -- can't wait for season 3! 

Edited by SailorGirl
  • Like 1
  • Love 14

Was not expecting the toilet baby gag at all!  That entire scene had me on the floor.  When this show goes all in, it really goes all in!

Not surprised that it was the Lissons behind it all, but I loved seeing it all played out and how the reporter's death was actually due to the whole situation going to hell in unpredictable goofy fashion.  In a lot of ways, the scenes with Lyle showed that he really is a lot like Jesse in a lot of ways.  But I do think there are key differences there that make them different in ways that I can have no problems still liking Jesse over him.  For whatever flaws he has, I don't see Jesse ever doing something like letting his lackeys die or allowing Amber/his wife to physically assault his dad like Lyle did.  Not saying that Jesse is a good man in the slightest, but I think in his own twisted way he does care for those closest to him.  But I really got the sense Lyle (and Lindy) only cared about themselves and I think that played a part in their downfalls.  I do wish we got a little more time with those two to make them even more rememberable antagonists, but Eric Andre and Jessica Lowe made the most of their screen time.

Aww, even Jesse now considers BJ part of the family.  Sure, it took BJ getting shot in the leg for Jesse to say it (and not even realizing it at the time), but it still counts!  Go BJ!

I know I'm probably just setting myself up for disappointment, but I hope Uncle Baby Billy actually does it right this time and is there for Tiffany and their son.  I'll probably be wrong, but I want to root for him.  Damn you and your ability to make the worst person here someone to pull for, Walton Goggins!

Glad Gideon seems to be thriving now, but I do hope we get more of him next season.  I wonder if Skyler Gisondo had limited availability this go around.

I wonder if we'll see Junior again.  Or Joe Jonas!  One would think he'd still want to be involved with Zion!

Kelvin (and Keefe) is going back to his Youth Minister roots by forming another squad?!

That song at the end was perfect.

Can't wait for season three!  Continue to be amazed at how Danny McBride and crew can somehow make some of the most morally selfish and flawed characters some of my favorites in television right now.

• Like 3
  • Love 13

The gimmick with the show is about how unholy these spiritual leaders are.

They make money hand over fist putting on song and dance numbers at their super church and broadcast or streamed on TV.  But their words and deeds are anything but what Christianity is suppose to be.

So you have Judy talking about her played out pussy if she had a child in graphic terms.  Funny stuff though, about mostly horrible people who sometimes rise to the occasion like Judy taking care of her aunt or Baby Billy coming back.

But the Jason Schwartzman reporter character was corrupt himself as well as a badass-wannabe, just like Jesse and Lissons.

Turns out Lissons congregation is also rife with corruption, more than willing to kill to get ahead, keep the money rolling in.

The real badass is Eli, who okayed the hit on the Lissons?  His right hand guy led the cycle ninjas right to where the Lissons were hiding out.

In the end the Gemstones take over Zions Landing, which is probably some sleazy timeshare designed to rip off people whom they are suppose to be leading spiritually.

There’s satire and  a sharp takedown of televangelists in there somewhere but covered over with profane dialogue and some gangster-wannabe plots.

Edited by aghst
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

The toilet baby tradition continues! 

What a great end to a great season, I just about died at Jessie getting his Johnny Cash on at the end. I know a lot of people called the Lissons as being behind it all, but I liked getting the whole story. Lyle really is a darker version of Jessie, being an egocentric bumbler with a short temper that covers up his insecurities and massive daddy issues, but is willing to cross a lot more lines than Jessie. Jessie might not treat his lackies with a lot of respect but I cant see him ever setting them on fire or actually wanting to hurt Eli, as angry as he gets at him. Jessie isn't a good person by any stretch of the imagination, but I do think he cares about his family and he does want to be a decent person, he just isn't very good at it. Some pretty disturbing stuff in this episode, Lyle coldly watching his lackies burn alive and then him freezing to death were pretty grizzly for this show, which usually plays its spurts of violence as more goofy, like poor BJ getting shot.

Aww it took BJ getting shot, but Jessie finally called him a part of the family! It really is weird seeing the family, even the extended family, actually getting along alright. I am sure that by next season the petty bickering will come back, but we ended this season on a pretty happy note with everyone happy at their big church service. Even Uncle Baby Billy's first son and Junior were in the audience! We also got some closure for Eli's issues with his past, trying to more embrace that past instead of hiding from it, the last shot of him was probably the happiest we have seen him outside of flashbacks with Aimee-Leigh. That last song really was perfect. 

Glad that Gideon is doing so well, but I hope he's around a bit more next season. I am guessing that there were scheduling issues, hopefully they will be worked out more for next season. 

This season was great, a worthy follow up for such a strong first season, I am already impatient for the next season. It really is impressive how this show makes me root for such lousy messed up people and have so much fun doing it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Lyle coldly watching his lackies burn alive and then him freezing to death

Although I kept wondering - given how many times we saw Lyle become 'undead' on the beach, is he actually dead this time? I think it would be a cheap trick if we find out next season that he isn't, but you never know.

Just have to say Spectrum tv & dvr SUCKS. Besides all the other problems I have with their streaming while I’m slowly being bled dry by their cost, now the dvr is cutting off the end. Have to rewatch on hbo app. We really need reform on these corporations. 

Sooooo good.  I hope they bring back Junior as he's become this weird, old, wise dude I've come to depend on.  

I was quite happy we got to see the slipping and sliding in the blood again - that will NEVER get old.

I did not need to see the toilet baby scene.  Ugh - just no...

All in all - a solid finish from the Gemstones!  Now on to season 3!

I had never even heard of this show until a few months ago, when season 2 was being discussed on Pop Culture Happy Hour. MAN am I glad I checked it out. I was skeptical at first because I found East Bound and Down unwatchable. but wow, has Danny McBride (and writers) got their comedy pacing down to a science. The show makes me screech out loud, with the sight gags and the script. Uncle Baby Billy's exit from the parking lot dragging his grift-trailer is burned into my brain and I laugh every time I think about it.

Great acting from all the characters, because I love all of these knuckleheads. And John Goodman is just...perfection.

I also like that it isn't a full-on takedown of megachurches, that would be too easy. Instead, it's the characters and the ridiculous scenarios where they mine the best humor. I can't wait for season 3!

• Love 3

I couldn't get into Eastbound & Down, either, but was super excited for this show after watching Vice Principals, which features both Danny McBride, Walton Goggins and Edi Patterson. It's fantastic.

• Like 2
On 3/1/2022 at 5:39 AM, dsteele said:

Although I kept wondering - given how many times we saw Lyle become 'undead' on the beach, is he actually dead this time? I think it would be a cheap trick if we find out next season that he isn't, but you never know.

I think the wolf pack probably put the kabosh on a Lyle “resurrection”.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 1