Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E06: Our Little Island Girl: Part 2

CrystalBlue
  • Start Topic

44 minutes ago, CrystalBlue said:

Yeah, you could be on to something!  Remember when Season 1 started and it was a contant cry-in-your-hankies tour with extracurricular appearances by the cast telling us how to feel and cry?

This OOC Beth and the Ballet Teacher storyline with Pearson Speech was ... what?  Annoying?  Weird?  Stupid?

Also, in show business, the mantra is The Show Must Go On.  The fallen ballerina and Beth coddling her onstage while the audience and ballerinas backstage wait was ridiculous.

Yes!  Are we supposed to think that Luka Kovac was a bad person for not neglecting all his other students and carrying Beth through her father's death?  He was her dance instructor,  not a family member or counselor, how stupid was that speech?

• Love 23

You know… I enjoy reading these forums more than I enjoy watching this show.

this show could have been completed in 4 seasons. Seasons three and five sucked and season six so far is just a mixed jumble of crap with the occasional teaser thrown in.  Jack’s mom? Sorry but that could have been done 3 seasons ago- obvious filler. Beth’s dancing- who cares? One episode was enough

• Useful 1
  • Love 15
18 hours ago, Domenicholas said:

I think the Kevin/Madison conflict was written specifically to make Kevin look wrong. The conflict was only viewed from the point of Madison going to the cabin vs staying with Elijah. Kate mainly talks about the situation in regards to Madison falling in love for the first time, Kevin talks about acting like divorced parents before accepting that Madison has her own life, and Elijah asserts his feelings for Madison and tells Kevin not to bide his time expecting him to leave.

It was definitely written to make Kevin look wrong. Unfortunately, they didn't make a good case for it.

Kevin's very good reasons for wanting to go to the cabin (Thanksgiving being the holiday that matters by far the most to him, and Rebecca's dementia) were all brushed aside. I guess we were supposed to think that the main issue for Kevin was that he was resentful of Elijah, but it didn't come across that way.

If Kevin announced to Madison that she was coming with him to Pennsylvania, without asking her if that was okay with her, then he was definitely in the wrong (as was Madison for unilaterally striking it down, and the way she handled it). But we don't even know if Kevin did that.

It all should have been handled differently.

• Love 12
19 hours ago, Domenicholas said:

insecure guy who is really into his stunning girlfriend

She's not stunning.

She's skinny.  And she's got that I'm the baby-momma of someone famous fairydust.

Bi-i-i-i-i-g difference.

• LOL 3
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, Jersey409 said:

You know… I enjoy reading these forums more than I enjoy watching this show.

I was talking to my coworker and I mentioned that my kitchen was a mess in part because of some of my TV shows coming back this week (so I was watching that instead of doing the dishes), and she asked which shows. I commented that they were not that good (Conners, Grey's Anatomy...) and she said "Well why do you watch them, then?" 

This is why! 😄

• LOL 6
  • Love 2

All this ongoing (and very boring) drama over the twins could have been avoided if either Madison and/or Kevin had used birth control. 

After seeing next week's dreary preview, Madison made the right choice to stay away from a grim Pearson Thanksgiving. 

Think I'll skip it too.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Blakeston said:

It was definitely written to make Kevin look wrong. Unfortunately, they didn't make a good case for it.

Kevin's very good reasons for wanting to go to the cabin (Thanksgiving being the holiday that matters by far the most to him, and Rebecca's dementia) were all brushed aside. I guess we were supposed to think that the main issue for Kevin was that he was resentful of Elijah, but it didn't come across that way.

Aside from the fact that you're right,  Kevin had all the right reasons for the kids being with the Pearsons for potentially Rebecca's last sentient Thanksgiving,  the thought that Kevin would be jealous in any way of Elijah is kinda laughable in the real world. 

2 hours ago, Maximona said:

She's not stunning.

She's skinny.  And she's got that I'm the baby-momma of someone famous fairydust.

Bi-i-i-i-i-g difference.

I think she's very attractive,  straight female so I'm not sure if my opinion is "allowed" to count nowadays. 

Edited by mansonlamps
  • Love 4
44 minutes ago, mansonlamps said:

Aside from the fact that you're right,  Kevin had all the right reasons for the kids being with the Pearsons for potentially Rebecca's last sentient Thanksgiving,  the thought that Kevin would be jealous in any way of Elijah is kinda laughable in the real world. 

I think she's very attractive,  straight female so I'm not sure if my opinion is "allowed" to count nowadays. 

Everyone's opinion is allowed to count.  Or else no one's opinion counts.

BTW, are you say you're a straight female or that Madison, being a straight female, is attractive?

Either way, and I'm a straight woman, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  I think our Mads is attractive enough.  I question why she is so slim and exactly the same weight as when she was before giving birth to twins, especially with her eating disorder, which makes me think she's bulimic again to keep the weight off.  Either that or she's one of those lucky women who was skinny before getting pregnant and didn't gain any lasting pregnancy pounds.  (I know Mrs. Fogelman the actress wasn't really pregnant, but a tiny bit of padding could make it more believable.)  As for her face, she's pretty.  It's the personality of a person that shines through which makes someone "beautiful" in the end.

Edited by CrystalBlue
  • Love 4
14 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

It would be different with these babies, but they're heading for a lifetime of plane trips, and wondering who they'll be with when and step-parents or boyfriends who come and go, and possibly the whole blended family situation with brand new half-siblings showing up in their home, and step-grandparents who maybe get them Christmas presents, but don't really love them like they do their blood relatives. One thing is for sure they will never have that settled assurance that comes from both parents, right there, in the home, every day and night.

Obviously everyone is different and every situation is different, but I completely disagree with the idea that children with two parents in the same home are always better off than children of divorce, and that children of divorce can never be as happy as those with married parents.

My parents got divorced when I was a teen and I was happy because I knew they didn't love each other. I always thought I'd have been better off if they did it much earlier, but of course, who knows what it would have been like if they did. My point in saying this is that no child is ever going to be 100% happy and avoid painful moments because that is not how life works.

Kevin and Maddison brought two children into the world and they can't make a perfect world for them. The best thing for them to do is respect each other and try to do what's best for the twins. The second best thing to do is try and be happy, whatever that means to them.

6 hours ago, absnow54 said:

I'm confused about that. If they had been in touch since their fight, then how would Sophie know that Kate was reminiscing about it before texting her. It felt very much like a "this has been hanging over us for 20 years waiting for someone to make the first move" kind of response.

How would Sophie know that Kate was reminiscing about it either way? I mean I guess when she saw the Thelma and Louise reference she remembered that they used to call each other that and guessed?

• Love 7
10 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:
15 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

It would be different with these babies, but they're heading for a lifetime of plane trips, and wondering who they'll be with when and step-parents or boyfriends who come and go, and possibly the whole blended family situation with brand new half-siblings showing up in their home, and step-grandparents who maybe get them Christmas presents, but don't really love them like they do their blood relatives. One thing is for sure they will never have that settled assurance that comes from both parents, right there, in the home, every day and night.

Obviously everyone is different and every situation is different, but I completely disagree with the idea that children with two parents in the same home are always better off than children of divorce, and that children of divorce can never be as happy as those with married parents.

Not to mention, what about single parents? I was raised by a single mother, and I can say with the utmost certainty that I felt assured with only my mother’s presence every single night I went to bed. I don’t believe in people staying together “for the children.” Parents deserve happiness, too. 

Edited by PepSinger
  • Love 12
9 hours ago, absnow54 said:

I'm confused about that. If they had been in touch since their fight, then how would Sophie know that Kate was reminiscing about it before texting her. It felt very much like a "this has been hanging over us for 20 years waiting for someone to make the first move" kind of response.

They did see each other just a couple of years ago when Kevin and Sophie were back together, so they have been in touch since those 20 years ago. Most likely they didn't talk about what happened when Sophie left that Thanksgiving, though. I think the Thelma reference is why Sophie knew she was thinking of that time. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, PepSinger said:

Not to mention, what about single parents? I was raised by a single mother, and I can say with the utmost certainty that I felt assured with only my mother’s presence every single night I went to bed. I don’t believe in people staying together “for the children.” Parents deserve happiness, too. 

It does show how careless adults (2 of them)caused all this. Madison thinking she could wing birth control because she didn't eat and have normal periods and Kevin just sleeping with anyone and not asking at 40. (and he's famous) Whatever, but beyond love for their kids and responsibility they do not owe each other their lives stuck with each other in the same home because they made a mistake. You can't force love on someone or confuse it with caring or worrying about someone in charge of your children. You can't confuse love with ego and always having women fall for you with love. Madison loves Kevin? Why? Because he's cute? Money? What has he done for her or in general for her to think he's so wonderful? She didn't love him when she slept with on the rebound. The whole story line is "Hallmark" in a sense and so fairy tale for a young woman watching it. Ok, most of the show is, but why they picked Madison to have the twins, IDK (Dan's wife?) but I never got the story or lack of chemistry.  Kevin had more chemistry with any other woman he was with and I don't know if it's bad acting or the writers want it that way. The look Kevin gave Sophie once while she stood in window had more depth than anything Madison shared. I can only think it was a shift in writing that wrote something so disjointed. The wasted months of planning for  a wedding just about every fan knew was not happening, the episodes of doubt, the lead up all the fuss and then "nothing" Then they want it to happen again? NO, please no.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 9
12 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I was talking to my coworker and I mentioned that my kitchen was a mess in part because of some of my TV shows coming back this week (so I was watching that instead of doing the dishes), and she asked which shows. I commented that they were not that good (Conners, Grey's Anatomy...) and she said "Well why do you watch them, then?" 

This is why! 😄

Aha, I’ve never seen those shows but I get it. A convenient distraction. I also consider This is us as one hour a week that keeps me away from browsing Amazon and wasting money , so I suppose it has its purpose!

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, mansonlamps said:

Yes!  Are we supposed to think that Luka Kovac was a bad person for not neglecting all his other students and carrying Beth through her father's death?  He was her dance instructor,  not a family member or counselor, how stupid was that speech?

Yes, very stupid and ridiculous! She is what-40ish and calling her old ballet teacher late at night after 24 years? If I were that teacher, I don’t think I would have slept well that night- not from guilt but fear that this woman who has held on to a grudge for twenty something years is going to burst into my window while I was sleeping. ugh very poor taste 

I don’t think the guy did anything wrong- yeah…he should have called and/or attended the father’s viewing as a courtesy. I am assuming he is meant to be Russian in the show (I know he’s Croatian in real life) but considering his accent and that it’s ballet, probably playing a Russian.  Both things - ballet and Russian aren’t known for being warm,cozy and caring. Beth should have considered it a lesson learnt and now she is being more caring/personable to her students. No need to call. On a side note, I hope she’s being nice to Annie too. Never see any communication with that kid and her parents!

• LOL 2
  • Love 13
12 hours ago, PepSinger said:

I don’t believe in people staying together “for the children.” Parents deserve happiness, too. 

In college I knew someone whose parents split up basically the day after she left for college, and she had had a completely miserable childhood because her parents loathed each other. (No abuse or violence but lots of fighting, and the kind of unhappiness that comes when people live lives they don’t want.) She and her sibling knew their parents stayed married for their sake, which fucked them up because it made them think their unhappy childhood  and their parents’ misery was their fault. It messed up their perspectives on relationships and their relationships with their parents.

Kevin and Madison are both decent people who could do right by the twins if they got it together a bit more, but I don’t think it’s wrong that they’re not a couple. (I think the most growth for Kevin would be staying single, but the show isn’t going to do that.)

(I don’t think Madison is stunning. Melanie Liburd is stunning, IMO. I would describe Madison as cute.)

2 hours ago, Jersey409 said:

Beth should have considered it a lesson learnt and now she is being more caring/personable to her students.

Agreed, and was he ever that kind to her? Wasn’t he shown in the previous episode giving her a hard time? Like, his teaching style was not warm and fuzzy? Yes, it stung that someone she thought was close to her didn’t feel the same way, but it happens a lot. You charge it to the game, mentally cross them off your list of people you’d go to in a crisis, and move on. A lot of people talk about closure but more often than not, we don’t get that cinematic moment - you have to make your own closure. 20 years should have given Beth that.

• Love 9
6 hours ago, Jersey409 said:

I don’t think the guy did anything wrong- yeah…he should have called and/or attended the father’s viewing as a courtesy. I am assuming he is meant to be Russian in the show (I know he’s Croatian in real life) but considering his accent and that it’s ballet, probably playing a Russian.  Both things - ballet and Russian aren’t known for being warm,cozy and caring.

I understand what you're saying, but I want to point out that Russian people, current events notwithstanding, are generally very caring, they just show care very differently from how Americans show care. Life in Russia (and most of Eastern Europe) has always been very difficult, and it takes a lot of mental strength to even survive there, let alone succeed at anything, so children are raised with a "tough love" approach. Beth's ballet teacher genuinely didn't believe he would be doing her any favors if he coddled her or showed emotion. And Beth, having trained under him for years, should have known better than to expect that from him.

• Love 17

I thought it was all so silly honestly.

Kevin wanted to have his big Pearson Thanksgiving with the twins at the cabin that he was already planning everything so he could get that outcome but he didn't factor or ask if Madison wanted to be a part of that.

When he was still living at Madison's place after their non-wedding, he was still acting and treating Madison as she and the twins would be a part of Kevin's everyday life. And sadly, since they are no longer a couple, Kevin has to come to terms with that.

If Kevin and Madison actually had talked about their plans, it would have save a lot of confusion and hurt feelings.

Regarding, the friendship of Thelma and Louisa (Kate and Sophie), I would actually believe that if they had shown them as friends in any of the flashbacks in any meaningful way. For the most part, the only Pearsons that we have seen on the show through flashbacks and running storylines have been Jack with Miguel and Kate with Madison. Sophie has almost exclusively been featured in Kevin's stories and flashbacks with very if any interactions with Kate.

Finally, Beth's teacher in both interactions (during college and during the phone call) not only remembered her but was happy to see/speak with her. He was not responsible for killing her dream in dance. He spent years working with her but his job was to make her achieve her best in dancing. When her dad died and she began to struggle with dancing, he started to favor another dancer who was showing more promise than Beth. Beth would eventually quit but that was ultimately her choice.

• Love 10
11 hours ago, debraran said:

It does show how careless adults (2 of them)caused all this. Madison thinking she could wing birth control because she didn't eat and have normal periods and Kevin just sleeping with anyone and not asking at 40. (and he's famous) Whatever, but beyond love for their kids and responsibility they do not owe each other their lives stuck with each other in the same home because they made a mistake. You can't force love on someone or confuse it with caring or worrying about someone in charge of your children. You can't confuse love with ego and always having women fall for you with love. Madison loves Kevin? Why? Because he's cute? Money? What has he done for her or in general for her to think he's so wonderful? She didn't love him when she slept with on the rebound. The whole story line is "Hallmark" in a sense and so fairy tale for a young woman watching it. Ok, most of the show is, but why they picked Madison to have the twins, IDK (Dan's wife?) but I never got the story or lack of chemistry.  Kevin had more chemistry with any other woman he was with and I don't know if it's bad acting or the writers want it that way. The look Kevin gave Sophie once while she stood in window had more depth than anything Madison shared. I can only think it was a shift in writing that wrote something so disjointed. The wasted months of planning for  a wedding just about every fan knew was not happening, the episodes of doubt, the lead up all the fuss and then "nothing" Then they want it to happen again? NO, please no.

Yes, there is no chemistry between the actors and I never bought into their characters as a plausible couple either. I hope it’s Kevin and Sophie in the end. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, nilyank said:

Regarding, the friendship of Thelma and Louisa (Kate and Sophie), I would actually believe that if they had shown them as friends in any of the flashbacks in any meaningful way. For the most part, the only Pearsons that we have seen on the show through flashbacks and running storylines have been Jack with Miguel and Kate with Madison. Sophie has almost exclusively been featured in Kevin's stories and flashbacks with very if any interactions with Kate.

I guess that's what they are trying to show now. With the "love, Thelma, love, Louise" that they still feel some kind of a bond. But you're right, it would have been better if they showed at least periodic texts between the two, or if Toby mentioned something like Kate having a monthly call with Sophie. Because the actress wasn't available, easy enough to do to show they were still good friends. 

And with this show, when the actress is available, they can always insert a scene from the past that explains everything, time will tell if they bother with Kate and Sophie, but I doubt it. 

Edited by Quiet1
  • Love 2

I agree with everyone who stated that Madison did the right thing in not marrying Kevin.

Yes, it was highly irresponsible for Kevin and Madison to sleep with each other without protection. Yes, children raised in alternating households will have a vastly different experience than those in a two-parent household. Yes, divorce is painful for everyone involved, children especially. But the alternate scenario, in my opinion, would have been worse.

Say Madison did marry Kevin in spite him not loving her. Sure, there's a chance that love could come in time. More than likely, however, they both will start looking for that love and support in each other that just isn't there. Kevin would want Madison to be his Rebecca or Beth or even Toby, but she can't be that because they haven't built that relationship. The old Madison would have been happy to settle for coparenting with a guy; the new Madison would resent that same setup. And what happens if she stills meets Eli? Instead of pursuing a guy who is genuinely in love with her, she now has to stay loyal to a husband who doesn't beyond being the mother of his children. Marriage would have changed Kevin and Madison from two people who don't love each other but still like and respect each other to two people who don't even have that.

As for their children? Kevin and Madison both love their children dearly. If they had gotten married, however, a small part of them would have resented them for forcing them into a loveless marriage. Although it was their own poor decisions that led to their children's conception, Kevin and Madison would subconscious blame the children for their own unhappiness. Overtly, the toxicity of their parents' relationship would permeate their lives anyway, making them miserable anyway.

The problem isn't that they aren't together. The problem is that they respect each other as friends and parents too much to advocate for themselves with regards to their children. Madison is too afraid to tell Kevin that she wants to spend Thanksgiving will Eli and the kids because it'll hurt his feelings if she does. When it does hurt his feelings, she almost reneges on her entire plans for his sake. Then, after his talk with Kate, Kevin gives Madison everything she wants for the holidays without additional argument.

Because of this, I definitely think that they both need lawyers and a custody agreement; otherwise, Kevin and Madison will keep pussyfooting around each other while continuing to run into these awkward situations. With a custody agreement, most of that awkwardness goes away.

• Love 7
On 2/22/2022 at 10:35 PM, Jeddah said:

But what was special about Beth in that moment? That she went out on stage and made it all about herself? That this was a showcase for people trying to get professional jobs, and Beth was willing to ruin their chances by just sitting center stage and not letting anyone else dance?

If  anything they should have brought the curtain down so they could have their 5 minute chat. Yes, it was all about her at that moment, 

10 hours ago, OpalNightstream said:

This was a waste of an episode. 

Yep, could have done without it . The only thing it might have done was answer Kevin’s status with Madison in the  future arc and give us a chance to drool over Goran.

• Love 6

I think the whole Beth thing wasn’t completely awful, though I could have done without it.  I took it as this man was her mentor for years and in her formative years, so she probably developed a strong bond with him, even if he didn’t with her; so she essentially lost the the two men, who had the most impact on her life up until that point at the same time.

I also think having to close her school and then getting this chance to succeed in that world again brought up the old feelings.  With that said, other than living with the Pearsons too long, I’m not sure why she thought it a good idea to call that time of night or have the conversation go that deep.  It’s a conversation she could have had with say Randall about why she wanted to be a different kind of teacher.

I’ve seemingly come full circle and back to not hating Toby.  Kate and Kevin are insufferable, I would never want to come home with those two around.  Kevin needs to buy his own house then Kate can wander over there when she’s having one of her complaint sessions about Toby.  I don’t see how either of them can have relationships when they’re so intertwined.

Kevin and Madison were both being jerks, as mentioned once they decided not to be together they should have ironed out a custody agreement.

The beginning of Miguel and Rebecca was the only interesting thing.

• Love 3

With Madison - straight male here, she is definitely cute and I would classify her as out of my league - but if I got to know her, she seems like she would give off bad vibes.

On 2/25/2022 at 6:34 PM, ams1001 said:

This is why! 😄

Hate watching shows as a community is so good - I remember watching Scorpion (such an amazingly bad show) with people on previously.tv (pretty sure it came out after TWoP closed down) and that was the way to watch it. Of course, watching shows that aren't bad as a community is good - the big one I remember is Lost, that was amazing to watch with thousands of people talking about each episode online, something that isn't possible during the era of binge watching.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

Yes.  If my husband asks me why I'm watching something like, "The Bachelor," I just tell him, "It gives good message board," and he gets it.

oh god I cannot get into something like The Bachelor, the farthest I get into hatewatching is shows like this, The Good Doctor, Ordinary Joe. However, there are some I just have to drop because of how bored I get or how bad they are - I had to do that with some like How To Get Away With Murder (I managed to get to the penultimate season)

• Love 3
(edited)
4 hours ago, bros402 said:

oh god I cannot get into something like The Bachelor, the farthest I get into hatewatching is shows like this, The Good Doctor, Ordinary Joe. However, there are some I just have to drop because of how bored I get or how bad they are - I had to do that with some like How To Get Away With Murder (I managed to get to the penultimate season)

I couldn't hate watch Chicago Med anymore, I thought WAY back it was going to be ER light, but not even in the ball park. More General Hospital. I hate watch later in week, Million Little Things but FF through parts so I cheat. I don't know what to expect but they lost me after they horrible writing with the suicide and that mess with Jon's "mystery" that never made sense. Also Delilah's 40 year old pregnancy... I just can't sustain the attention and time to watch more. I do wonder what will happen with Rome and how will they have Eddie walk again. Theo, Katherine, Maggie, FF is a gift. ; )

Edited by debraran
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, debraran said:

I couldn't hate watch Chicago Med anymore, I thought WAY back it was going to be ER light, but not even in the ball park. More General Hospital. I hate watch later in week, Million Little Things but FF through parts so I cheat. I don't know what to expect but they lost me after they horrible writing with the suicide and that mess with Jon's "mystery" that never made sense. Also Delilah's 40 year old pregnancy... I just can't sustain the attention and time to watch more. I do wonder what will happen with Rome and how will they have Eddie walk again. Theo, Katherine, Maggie, FF is a gift. ; )

Chicago Med did a soft reboot this season, and it's way more watchable now. April and Natalie are gone and the soapiness is more manageable.  Also the plotlines are more subtle, no more hitting you over the head with whatever point the writers are trying to make.  

• Useful 2

Just finished watching the episode and I agree with a lot of these comments about Beth - her phone call to her former instructor was cringey and I can see why he responded with “ I don’t know what to say”.  I mean what CAN you say to a phone call where you are completely blindsided?  He seemed genuinely happy to see/hear from her and seemed happy she was doing well.  Ballet is extremely hard and competitive.  If this one person was able to completely derail her, even at a time when she was understandably more vulnerable, she wouldn’t have made it regardless.  I liked that the postcard the girl sent older Beth specified she was performing with the Houston Ballet.  Only a tiny percentage of dancers will ever make it in the most elite markets in the world, but that doesn’t mean you can’t pursue your dreams elsewhere and be successful.

Kevin is a rich celebrity he needs his own place, if for no other reason so he can keep the twins overnight.  Madison can always pump for the twins if she’s still breastfeeding.  I also don’t think it would be super difficult to take the twins across the country if a person has the means Kevin does (private planes, nannies).  I can see both sides, but I don’t think it’s right that Madison just made the decision and Kevin just needs to go along with it.  Kevin always seems to get the short end of the stick for some reason.

Now to a situation where Kevin was 100% wrong, I don’t know why that had to be the end of the Sophie/Kate friendship, especially if they were supposedly best friends.  I mean Kate knew about the cheating for like five minutes, it’s not like she kept the secret for months.

• Love 2

Carl Lumbly is AGELESS.  I totally believed that he could be Beth's dad at the beginning/end of the episode - and the man is 70 years old now! I was a fan of his from when he was on the show Alias.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Chicago Med did a soft reboot this season, and it's way more watchable now. April and Natalie are gone and the soapiness is more manageable.  Also the plotlines are more subtle, no more hitting you over the head with whatever point the writers are trying to make.  

OMG, April (lashes) and my love to hate Natalie are gone! Well, I will look up an episode on Hulu. ; ) I did like some of the Dr Charles shows. He had a good one early on with a guy who tried to commit suicide but said it was an accident. Done well but never saw that quality again.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, debraran said:

OMG, April (lashes) and my love to hate Natalie are gone! Well, I will look up an episode on Hulu. ; ) I did like some of the Dr Charles shows. He had a good one early on with a guy who tried to commit suicide but said it was an accident. Done well but never saw that quality again.

Dr. Charles has had a few good episodes this season, and the show added a new African American doctor who plays well with Dr. Charles.   

• Love 1
8 hours ago, mostlylurking said:

Just finished watching the episode and I agree with a lot of these comments about Beth - her phone call to her former instructor was cringey and I can see why he responded with “ I don’t know what to say”.  I mean what CAN you say to a phone call where you are completely blindsided?  He seemed genuinely happy to see/hear from her and seemed happy she was doing well.  Ballet is extremely hard and competitive.  If this one person was able to completely derail her, even at a time when she was understandably more vulnerable, she wouldn’t have made it regardless.  I liked that the postcard the girl sent older Beth specified she was performing with the Houston Ballet.  Only a tiny percentage of dancers will ever make it in the most elite markets in the world, but that doesn’t mean you can’t pursue your dreams elsewhere and be successful.

Kevin is a rich celebrity he needs his own place, if for no other reason so he can keep the twins overnight.  Madison can always pump for the twins if she’s still breastfeeding.  I also don’t think it would be super difficult to take the twins across the country if a person has the means Kevin does (private planes, nannies).  I can see both sides, but I don’t think it’s right that Madison just made the decision and Kevin just needs to go along with it.  Kevin always seems to get the short end of the stick for some reason.

Now to a situation where Kevin was 100% wrong, I don’t know why that had to be the end of the Sophie/Kate friendship, especially if they were supposedly best friends.  I mean Kate knew about the cheating for like five minutes, it’s not like she kept the secret for months.

With Beth's call it would've been so much better if she had asked him something like "I don't know how you did it, I felt so bad for my student" etc etc and THEN brought up how she felt bad that he never even sent a card after her father died, so we could get into his mindsert

with Kevin's housing situation I am just imagining a bus driving around showing where celebrities live, then one week it points to Madison's garage, then Kate's house the next week

• LOL 9
1 hour ago, bros402 said:

With Beth's call it would've been so much better if she had asked him something like "I don't know how you did it, I felt so bad for my student" etc etc and THEN brought up how she felt bad that he never even sent a card after her father died, so we could get into his mindsert

with Kevin's housing situation I am just imagining a bus driving around showing where celebrities live, then one week it points to Madison's garage, then Kate's house the next week

I think it's bad form to chide someone for not sending you a condolence card period, let alone many years or decades later.

• Love 15

I finally caught this episode and I had to laugh at Beth asking for a speech and Randall only got as far as "Beth Pearson, you..." before Beth ran to the bathroom.

I like Kevin and Madison as co-parents but do agree they need to hammer out an agreement about holidays and who gets the kids when. They seemed to be in a good place at Kate's future wedding so I think they'll get there.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, MaggieG said:

I like Kevin and Madison as co-parents but do agree they need to hammer out an agreement about holidays and who gets the kids when. They seemed to be in a good place at Kate's future wedding so I think they'll get there.

Agree. Even in the present, I don't see any animosity between them, just disappointment in the situation. With Kevin's career it will have to be flexible and I'm sure Madison will be accommodating to his schedule, it's just new to them right now and showing the struggles. 

• Love 1
22 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

I think it's bad form to chide someone for not sending you a condolence card period, let alone many years or decades later.

Oh yes, it is 100% bad form - but at least if it was a call about something else, then he said something to make those memories flood back, it could be somewhat understandable (like if it was something like "oh remember how I had to do that with you, you should understand!" and then she Pearson'd him)

• Love 1

For people who want to see future pics speculation  page has a couple.

I won’t buy any bad blood with Kate and Sophie but Virgin River had her do much less than anticipated so they threw out something they thought was somewhat plausible. Not very though 

On 2/22/2022 at 9:17 PM, PepSinger said:

Randall -- I don't think I've ever loved Randall more than when he turned to his girls and made that quick little speech about how incredible their mother is. It was short, sweet, and effective. Loved it.

this was my favorite moment. I was happy for Beth that she was able to ultimately succeed, and seeing him support her like that was wonderful

• Love 2
3 hours ago, RedbirdNelly said:

this was my favorite moment. I was happy for Beth that she was able to ultimately succeed, and seeing him support her like that was wonderful

I’ve said earlier that I didn’t like that speech because I thought what Beth did was really inappropriate, not incredible, but I also thought Randall’s little speech was condescending towards his daughters too. He thinks his daughters won’t remember much about these years? They’re teenagers, not toddlers. They are old enough to have their own opinions about their mother. They don’t need Randall to tell them she’s amazing. If she is amazing, then they would know that without Randall telling them how to feel. They’re going to base their opinion of what kind of person Beth is based on their own experiences and observations. The hubris it takes to think you can tell someone how to feel about their own mother.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Jeddah said:

I’ve said earlier that I didn’t like that speech because I thought what Beth did was really inappropriate, not incredible, but I also thought Randall’s little speech was condescending towards his daughters too. He thinks his daughters won’t remember much about these years? They’re teenagers, not toddlers. They are old enough to have their own opinions about their mother. They don’t need Randall to tell them she’s amazing. If she is amazing, then they would know that without Randall telling them how to feel. They’re going to base their opinion of what kind of person Beth is based on their own experiences and observations. The hubris it takes to think you can tell someone how to feel about their own mother.

Well, this is the show that tells the audience what to feel and when to reach for the box of tissues.  I'm surprised they didn't get Kleenex or another brand for product placement like Crock Pot and Big Green Egg.  The writers are the ones who do this manipulation.  I'm so glad they stopped the PR talking head interviews they used to do.

• Love 2
21 hours ago, Jeddah said:

I didn't like the speech because, in addition to the fact that Beth's actions called attention to herself and caused an uncomfortable delay in the program for the audience; what she did just isn't sustainable.  She did the same thing that her old dance instructor did; singled out a student for special attention and treatment.  Just because the young woman Beth chose was not an outstanding student doesn't make it any better that she gave her a scholarship because she was reminded of her younger self or that she stopped the recital to go onstage and have a moment with her protege.  I agree with the premise that all kids taking these sorts of classes deserve support and encouragement from their instructors; not just the ones who are best; but it doesn't make things any better for Beth to ignore everyone else in favor of the kid whose story is most relatable to her.  Playing favorites is playing favorites.

Nice for Beth that the girl made it despite not having  the tradition ballet body or style but that doesn't make it right.  I presume the show means for us to extrapolate that, if only her dance instructor had stepped up and been warm and fuzzy and given her extra love and encouragement after her father died that Beth could've been a star.  I seem to recall Beth's mother telling her that there just wasn't enough money for the extra dance classes she'd been taking after her father's death; I guess she's upset that her teacher didn't give her a scholarship?

• Love 7

Many of my thoughts have been echoed here, as I’m behind on the episodes. 

Madison really wasn’t being fair, when Kevin brought up Thanksgiving, why didn’t they DISCUSS IT? Kevin had no idea Madison didn’t want to go to PA, she shouldn’t spoken up before then. I think the fair thing would be for Kevin to take the twins and Madison to enjoy the holiday with her boyfriend. 

I also think Sophie wasn’t fair to Kate all those years ago. Kate knew about the ONS for less than a DAY! Was she supposed to run and tell Sophie the second Kevin was out of her sight? Kevin did fess up pretty quickly (which I was surprised by), but the cheating situation went down exactly how I thought it would. 

Beth’s reaction to her ballet professor was so immature. Her speech would’ve made much more sense at 18/19, still raw from her lost dance dreams and her father’s death. I don’t mind the idea of Beth coming to terms with how her dance career didn’t launch, but not like that. Even sensible people can get swept up in their emotions. 

More Miguel and Rebecca please. I too think that Miguel eventually confesses his feelings for her, she tells him he doesn’t reciprocate and he takes a job out of state- that matches up with them reconnecting on Facebook in 2008. 

• Love 8
On 3/7/2022 at 12:51 PM, Rootbeer said:

Nice for Beth that the girl made it despite not having  the tradition ballet body or style but that doesn't make it right.  I presume the show means for us to extrapolate that, if only her dance instructor had stepped up and been warm and fuzzy and given her extra love and encouragement after her father died that Beth could've been a star.  I seem to recall Beth's mother telling her that there just wasn't enough money for the extra dance classes she'd been taking after her father's death; I guess she's upset that her teacher didn't give her a scholarship?

From what I understood, Beth had gone as far as she could go as a dancer. She was very good, but wasn’t going to be able to have a professional career based on where she was around the time her father died. After speaking with the dance instructor her mother informed her that she needed to start thinking about colleges, as she wasn’t going to continue to pay for her dance lessons- because it wasn’t a sound financial investment, she wasn’t going to have a career in dance. I’m sure her father’s death played into that- had he still been alive there would’ve been more disposable income for Beth to continue dance as a HOBBY.

I know Beth doesn’t regret her life- she met Randall and had her girls, but dance was a big part of her identity for a long time, losing that at the same time she lost her dad, I can’t imagine how badly that hurt. But 43 year old Beth would likely have a better grip on that than was displayed here. 

• Love 6

I'm just going to say it- not liking the ballet Beth storyline and it didn't have a place where it fit in with the rest of the episode. It should've been covered in an earlier season or episode. Also as someone mentioned, we figured Beth was maybe the last Pearson who didn't have to get over herself. We reviewed her mom's stringent raising of Beth and this could've possibly fit somewhere in there. It felt disjointed. Felt like 3 eps in one. A Thanksgiving episode/theme, a flashback to adult dating with Rebecca / Miguel, the Kevin cheating on Sophie, the Madison vs Kevin where to spend Thanksgiving & the lotalty of Kate vs Kevin. 

It was a lot. 

If I felt the need as a 43 (or whatever) old woman to call people who I feel like disappointed me in life, I don't know where I'd be. I mean I kind of get it but a little bit not at that age. You're appreciated in life and have also accomplished a lot professionally so cut bait on it. Beth always oozed confidence. I also do like the young Beth casting.  SO similar looking where it's a believable youth to adult transformation. Randall, I never found believable as adult Randall.  Young to older Kate, I believe. That's another win. A fail for me is young to old Sophie. 

• Love 3

Isn't Toby in IT? Why is he doing international deals?

Why are Madison's holiday plans more valid than Kevin's? Especially since she seemed to have agreed to Thanks Giving at the cabin beforehand? Why is Kevin the one being berated over this? If she wants to spend Thanks Giving with her new boyfriend so bad, why can't the kids go to the cabin with Kevin alone? Do fathers have less of a right to spend time with their kids than mothers?

Edited by Zonk
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Zonk said:

Isn't Toby in IT? Why is he doing international deals?

He could be in sales engineering. That's a technical role, but also involves a lot of client interaction. Very few Saas/PaaS deals are closed without a trial integration, so the sales engineers are the ones making sure that part goes smoothly. It's not an easy job, since they only have a short time to get it right.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
38 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

He could be in sales engineering. That's a technical role, but also involves a lot of client interaction. Very few Saas/PaaS deals are closed without a trial integration, so the sales engineers are the ones making sure that part goes smoothly. It's not an easy job, since they only have a short time to get it right.

I know there are sales realted jobs in IT, but it never seemed like he was in any of those. From what I got he was just in the IT department of the company, so keeping the companies IT running. I have a feeling the writers just invented these sales calls because they couldn't come up with a better way to generate additional conflict.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Zonk said:

I know there are sales realted jobs in IT, but it never seemed like he was in any of those. From what I got he was just in the IT department of the company, so keeping the companies IT running. I have a feeling the writers just invented these sales calls because they couldn't come up with a better way to generate additional conflict.

His last job (from which he got laid off) seemed like a consulting-based IT role. There was an episode where he took Kate to dinner with a client, and another where he mentioned having to migrate a Linux server for a client, so he was never just doing "pure" IT.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

IT Project Managers do a lot of conference calls with clients. Overseas clients in different time zones have led to many admonitions of "indoor voices, Daddy's on a conference call " during these Work From Home days in my extendedfamily.

• Love 2