Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E06: Our Little Island Girl: Part 2

CrystalBlue
  • Start Topic

This episode showed us the bond between Kate & Kevin, I especially liked the teen scenes.  Randall has Beth, who proved again what a strong woman she is.  But, Kate & Kevin in the end, sabotage their relationships, maybe Kevin will end up alone?

• Love 6

Ballet can be ruthless. So glad that Beth’s student wound up starring in The Nutcracker!

Kevin really was a dick. For once Kate was on fire, calling him out on all his crap. He wasn’t really in love with Madison and therefore has no right playing the aggrieved ex. Not to mention using Rebecca’s condition to guilt Madison into caving for Thanksgiving was pretty low.

Also glad that Elijah finally stood up for himself. He’s a nice guy, and both he and Madison deserve better.

• Love 24

I loved all the scenes with Beth and thought she did a great job. Didn’t like phone call though. I think Kevin came off like a jerk, like he usually is but the scene with Elijah was nice. I’m glad they’re not making Kevin stomp all over him because he’s a star and Elijah is not . I am one of the fans that always thought Sophie was endgame or at least that’s what the writers had always intended. I couldn’t imagine any writer investing so much dialogue and episodes to just a teen romance if they didn’t expect it to continue. The scenes and episodes with Claire his second mother, Sophie‘s mom were always touching and supportive.  I do believe the scene at Claire’s grave where he asked her for another chance to earn the ring, a ring that never would’ve been brought up in the show if it didn’t have great significance and partly because the writers might’ve expected you to forget it. She also told him to never settle and he always told Sophie that she was his right arm and he felt like he was missing it when she wasn’t with him. I just can’t imagine anyone else being endgame and the fact that they had Kate reach out to Sophie makes me think even more so. I guess she always had her number.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 16
10 minutes ago, CleoCaesar said:

cringed throughout Beth's revenge phone call to her former teacher. Did she drunk dial him or something? Gah. Kate's tirade to her abusive ex was bad enough but this was worse because Beth is the rare character I actually enjoy. Enough with the cheesy "empowering" monologues, writers. You suck at them.

9 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

It was supposed to be a taking-back-her-power moment but Beth's phone call with Luka Kovac was so much secondhand cringe for me.

glad it wasn’t just me. i’ve always felt that beth was the only pearson who didn’t need to get over herself. oh well…

Edited by wonderwoman
  • Love 17

So Kate can find a babysitter (on short notice) for the kids when they are awake?  And the twins have an equally available babysitter? (Less unlikely, but we've never heard one mentioned.)

22 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

I thought Kevin had a right to be upset about Madison not wanting to come for Thanksgiving. The twins already live with her and now she gets to decide how they spend the holidays? It would have been more reasonable for her to go to Elijah's but Kevin could take the twins. Or tell Kevin much earlier about the plans. But it was pretty crappy of Kevin to play the Rebecca card.

I don't think it would be that easy for Kevin to fly cross-country with twins.  I also assume that they haven't been away from Madison for more than an overnight in her garage.  Of course, now Kevin will be away from them for probably an entire weekend.

Kevin should be actively looking for a house down the block from Madison.  Or, since I think Madison only has a 2-bedroom home, offer to rent or buy her a slightly bigger home near a similar one for him.  Or, do what the modern divorced parents of means do: buy a house that the kids stay in with one parent at a time, and, since he has the money, offer to get each of them a smaller house or apartment to use when not with the kids.  Get creative!

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 14

We’ve been asking for more Rebecca - Miguel back story, and I’m starting to think we should have been careful what we wished for. I love seeing  their supportive best friend relationship over these past couple of episodes, and think it’s clear they are developing feelings for each other. I’m not looking forward to watching whatever conflict drives them apart for years.

• Love 12
5 minutes ago, PepSinger said:

Randall -- I don't think I've ever loved Randall more than when he turned to his girls and made that quick little speech about how incredible their mother is. It was short, sweet, and effective. Loved it.

But what was special about Beth in that moment? That she went out on stage and made it all about herself? That this was a showcase for people trying to get professional jobs, and Beth was willing to ruin their chances by just sitting center stage and not letting anyone else dance?

• LOL 1
  • Love 16
1 minute ago, virginia blue said:

We’ve been asking for more Rebecca - Miguel back story, and I’m starting to think we should have been careful what we wished for. I love seeing  their supportive best friend relationship over these past couple of episodes, and think it’s clear they are developing feelings for each other. I’m not looking forward to watching whatever conflict drives them apart for years.

I'm guessing he confesses his feelings for her, she tells him she doesn't reciprocate (even though she was clearly a little bit jealous when she heard he had a girlfriend), and he decides he can't hang around his unrequited love and moves away.

• Love 9
13 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

I don't think it would be that easy for Kevin to fly cross-country with twins.  I also assume that they haven't ben away from her for more than an overnight in her garage.  Of course, now Kevin will be away from them for probably an entire weekend.

It wouldn't have been easy, but it could be done if it is what Kevin really wanted. I don't know how old the twins are supposed to be at this point, but it doesn't seem like they are still breastfeeding, so surely they could be away from their mother for a couple of days. They'd be with their father and other relatives to take care of them.

Kevin has enough money to fly in a private plane and hire a nanny, so he is luckier than most people.

• Love 9

Ugh.  I tap back in after three years for this?

Beth, O Beth.  Tonight’s speech to your mentor felt like something you should have let loose in a therapist’s office years before.  I’d’ve preferred the drunk speech *to his face* at a reception.  Some time after you’d been forced to re-enact that scene from 1980’s Fame, and release a student from the program.  THAT would be a fun Beth to watch.

• Love 10

As an FYI, Susan Kelechi Watson co-wrote this episode, and I wonder if that’s why Beth’s phone call to her teacher was off? I think it’s great when actors spread their wings, but that whole scene needed a re-write, IMO. Of course, I don’t know for a fact that *she* actually wrote that speech.

Edited by PepSinger
  • Useful 2
  • Love 9
6 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

I also felt bad for Beth's old dance instructor.  She's dumping a whole lot of her personal issues on him, some 25 years later, and it just felt deeply unfair and kind of made her look a little bit crazy.

I thought so too. If she had said something at the restaurant only a couple years after it happened it would have been more understandable. Or if she just said the beginning part about how she was hurt, but didn't go on for so long. Because really, what was he supposed to say? And she is doing great so why did she still feel the need to do that?

But maybe that's just cause I like the actor.

• Love 14
13 minutes ago, anniebird said:

I feel really dumb asking this but was there an Our Little Island Girl: Part 1? 

Yes. It was during the season when Randall ran for office. It was the story of her dad passing away and her quitting ballet after his death. First time we met her mom, played by Phylicia Rashad was (I think) that same episode. 

1 hour ago, Jeddah said:

I used to really like Beth. 

And her protege was not a good dancer, even before the fall.

She looked good to me. I usually can't stand bad dancing, so she def didn't suck.

• Love 4

Man, I thought it was just the Pearson kids who could never let things go and move on. Turns out, Beth is more of a Pearson than I realized. It’s a wonder any of these people get anything done, considering how much time they spend living in the past.

When the dancer (who I agree was not that great) collapsed, I thought it was going to be a lesson for Beth. As in, she was so determined to be different from the mentor who abandoned her, that she pushed some poor not-yet-ready girl past her capabilities, to that girl’s detriment. But no! Silly me. As it turns out, the best way to teach is to start with your own hurt feelings circa 20 years ago. 

This show.

• LOL 10
  • Love 14

I’m glad to see that other people were annoyed by Madison’s decision too. Co-parents have to split holidays and it makes no sense for her to take Thanksgiving when it is so important for Kevin’s family and she has no specific traditions. She can build her traditions with the kids around Christmas. If she doesn’t want to go she can pump milk and send the nanny. It would be one thing if Thanksgiving was a big to her family but it is obviously not. She can even do Thanksgiving on a different day if she wants to build a tradition for that specific holiday. They really do need to get a custody agreement. 

I will say that I am confused about why Thanksgiving needs to be at the cabin though. They have had it at Randall’s before. Another compromise could be to have it in California and they could share the day. A lot of people have Thanksgiving dinner pretty early, so the kids could be with Madison early and Kevin’s family could plan for dinner in the evening.

• Love 15

I hated Madison this episode. She wants to keep her kids away from a full family Thanksgiving, possibly their last with their grandma and Kevin seeing them together so she can be with the creepy new boyfriend? Fine, she can stay there. Kevin needs a custody arrangement and take those kids for Thanksgiving, the biggest holiday for his family and was for his dad. He has kids now for it, Madison taking that from him for her boyfriend is really selfish and not for her kids.

No to Sophie.

Beth calling the teach so many years later to whine over something she didn't let go off was cringe. 

• Love 24

If the show wanted me to root against Beth's former ballet teacher, they should have hired someone other than Goran Visnjic. I will always root for Goran Visnjic. Beth's student was not good, and I can't believe Beth got to keep her job after that showcase fiasco. This was a big night for the entire school, and she made them into a laughingstock after "twisting their arms" to fund the scholarship program.

The Kevin/Madison plot was BS, they should have negotiated the holiday schedule months ago. And Kevin needs to get his own house already. Toby is a saint for putting up with his late-night-guitar-playing, AirPods-criticizing, welcome-overstaying brother-in-law.

Finally, why is Rebecca still allowed to cook poultry? Does nobody remember the Cornish game hens, burned on the outside and undercooked on the inside?

Edited by chocolatine
  • LOL 7
  • Love 15
2 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

I'm guessing he confesses his feelings for her, she tells him she doesn't reciprocate (even though she was clearly a little bit jealous when she heard he had a girlfriend), and he decides he can't hang around his unrequited love and moves away.

I wonder if their temporary separation might also be due to guilty feelings of "what would Jack think?" 

• Love 7

Beth’s dance thing is so boring for me. Maybe Beth needs to stop living in the past.  It’s been how long since she had that teacher? Was he supposed to be her substitute dad or something. Blah. He should’ve hung up.

Madison and her new bf who cares. 

Damn Kevin was shitty to Sophie since basically the beginning. He was pulling the same act on her for so long.

All Kate does is whine about Tobys job. Just shut up already.

Madison can’t just decide her and the twins are spending a major holiday with her brand new bf. Such a bitch. She didn’t even extend an invite to him and his family it had to just be all about her. Kevin is trying to be accommodating she’s just being a selfish jerk like usual. It shouldn’t just be all about what Madison wants. I wish she would just go away forever. I hate Madison. Oh it’s so important to spend this thanksgiving with your bf of 2 seconds. How is Kevin being blamed for this. So Kevin gets no memories. Also the dumb ass Madison could have plenty of thanksgiving. This could be Rebecca’s last real thanksgiving.I hate this stupid show sometimes.

Fuck off Elijah who cares. What a waste of time. Stop wasting so much time on stupid Madison show pls.

Can we stop wasting time on Rebecca’s dud bf. I wanna see her and Miguel get together!

What a waste of a final season so far.

• Love 16

I used to feel sorry for Kevin that his family never attended a shooting of the Manny. Given how they behaved when he did the return special and the way they behaved tonight, it was probably for the best. Who needs all that drama at your workplace? 

What was Elijah doing with the baby? Who walks around picking stuff up on a TV set? I'm sure there is a PA running around looking for it and afraid they were about to lose their job. I'm not entirely sold on Elijah being in love with Madison. He seems to love dating a girl that he ranks better than himself and being in Kevin's orbit. Still, he makes a good muffin. I expected the gum balls to make an appearance.

Kevin may be in the way when Toby is home, but I'm betting that Kate will feel even more alone when he moves out and Toby is away. Kevin does need his own place.

Beth needs to let her teacher go. He was just there to teach. It's her Mom that should have been there for her.

Finally, why is Rebecca still allowed to cook poultry? Does nobody remember the Cornish game hens, burned on the outside and undercooked on the inside?

The salad that night was inspired by Emeril - the cornish game hens probably were too. Maybe Miguel can keep this turkey from disaster. 

What is Toby's job, anyway. Before, he worked in IT and dressed like a normal IT person doing normal IT kind of stuff. Now, he's just started at a new company wear they make him wear expensive suits and he is brokering deals across two time zones? Has he moved into sales? 

Kevin and Madison need a custody agreement.

• Love 6

This felt like the weakest episode they've ever done. And it was a BETH episode?! She's usually written really well, but I didn't understand tonight's thing at all. She was mad that her former dance teacher didn't tell her he was sorry about her father's death? That's it?! I kept waiting for a big bad reveal like he sexually molested her or something, but no it just seemed to be that someone she looked up to looked at her as... his paying client? I feel like the dance stuff in general has been really kind of ill-fitting for Beth. It felt like it really came out of nowhere despite the flashbacks and never really fit the character, esp. since she was depicted as being really great at her high-powered office job in s1? (I don't remember what that was exactly.) 

And I'm so sick of Sophie storylines. Like bring her back (I know, she's on Virgin River) or don't, but stop with the halting half-in, half-out stuff. 

Kevin and Madison just need to be adults and communicate. As do Toby and Kate because so far they haven't shown us any reason for a divorce other than Toby working a lot in a different city. MEH. All that work they did to get us on his side (because really, most people did not like Toby in S1) and now that's just being tossed aside. 

I'm glad the show is ending soon. Sometimes (maybe even often) they can still hit it out of the park but tonight really felt like filler/too small to be a story.

• Love 18
21 minutes ago, taragel said:

Kevin and Madison just need to be adults and communicate. As do Toby and Kate because so far they haven't shown us any reason for a divorce other than Toby working a lot in a different city. MEH. All that work they did to get us on his side (because really, most people did not like Toby in S1) and now that's just being tossed aside. 

In no way does this mean I want to see more of Phillip Mean Jerk but we are six episodes into The Final Chapter of the series and so far the only sure thing established is present day Kate and Toby are having problems, and even that is more telling than showing), and that in four-to-five years from now Kate is about to get married to Phillip. How we are supposed to get from Kate and Toby's inevitable divorce to dating Phillip, who knows?

Edited by LexieLily
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Never mind Toby's work, wouldn't the guitar playing wake up the kids?

WHY is guy who has enough money to start trouble trying to give it to Toby/Kate, living with them and he knows they don't want him there. Please grow up or get help. It's not normal to be 40 and not want some space. Visit for a few hours, but sleep there? If he is dependent on someone being around he needs to address that. He should be stable enough to be alone 8 hours. He's been alone for a few hours before. I know divorced couples who live nearby or even in the same condo complex. It just seems so unrealistic.

• Love 3

Beth is such a self serving asshole. I wish the former teacher had hung up on her. Or better yet not remembered her. Also didn’t really need another stand alone episode. What happened with Dejah? They’re just going to let the brat do whatever she wants which is moving to be with her teen daddy boyfriend? 
Madison has also evolved into a complete selfish bitch. Jilts Kevin at the altar because she needs a man to truly love her. So she chooses to start dating while her children are infants and Kevin is supposed to support her bringing any old weirdo around? What a pig! 

• Love 9

After all that wait for a new episode, I was reall bored. It feels like this show is just meandering to a conclusion. It seems like there's no drive to the end just little drops here and there to see if a plot develops. Maybe this show was always like that?

• Love 12
7 hours ago, Manda317 said:

She can even do Thanksgiving on a different day if she wants to build a tradition for that specific holiday.

YES!  That's how we celebrate holidays with my grown up kids and their families.  I always say it's not the day that's important, it's the being together.  Their in-laws get equal time.

Or Kevin and Madison can each take one kid.  Switch for Christmas. 🤣

Kevin needs to find his own place.  It's dumb that he's living in Toby's home office.  

If he and Sophie end up together again by the end of the season (which I guess will be a big reveal at Rebecca's death bed?) I'm going to assume they will end up separated/divorced again.  How many times do they have to try their relationship before it's clear they cannot be together?

1 hour ago, Chatty Cake said:

Madison has also evolved into a complete selfish bitch. Jilts Kevin at the altar because she needs a man to truly love her.

Is that unreasonable?  

• Love 9
7 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

Finally, Elijah is really off-putting.  I felt like his speech to Kevin made him look creepy and small. 

Makes him a perfect match for Madison. I get she's the showrunner's wife so she's always going to get the favorable edit, but ugh, I can't stand her. Custody agreement, Kevin, stat! 

Love Beth, hated that phone call. I would've been OK with it from teen Beth, but 40+ Beth needed to say it to her mirror.  

Based on my admittedly vague recollection of their Facebook reunion years later, I think Miguel realizes his feelings and knows he can't make a move on Jack's wife, so he moves away without ever telling her, while Rebecca remains oblivious. 

Scenes like he had in this episode remind me why Randall was once my favorite character.  It was kind of odd that nothing was mentioned about Deja, sitting there with them like that whole thing with Malik never happened. 

• Love 4

I honestly feel bad for Kevin.  He deserves better.  Elijiah looks like the dude that was bullied in school, found a hot girl and wants to one up Kevin because he's good looking and a tv/movie star.  Honestly, I am getting creepy vibes from him.

The phone call was cringe.  Yes, the teacher didn't coddle Beth but a little bit of human decency would have been appreciated as she was his favourite student.  I almost thought he was going to tell her that her mother told him to drop her.

I still dislike Kate with a passion.  Guessing Sophie is the end game for Kevin.

I agree with the posters above - Kevin needs to lawyer up and at least have something officially on paper on custody arrangement.  Madison could have had the twins go with Kevin to the cabin and then they spend Christmas day with her and he gets them for the 24th.

Kevin did have a point with Rebecca. How long does she have with her wits in place? A year? Maybe 2?

Can't believe they were on a hiatus and now it's a 2 week wait. 

• Love 9
37 minutes ago, PepSinger said:

Are we supposed to be marrying people that don’t love us??

Right - and it’s not like they speak different love languages or she needs him to buy her flowers every day, like he loves her but doesn’t show it in a very specific way she wants, so she dumped him. He actually, literally doesn’t love her. He’s acknowledged this. I don’t like Madison (never warmed to the character, don’t think I ever will) but I think she was right not to marry someone who doesn’t love her. It would have closed the door to finding someone who DOES love her.

But if they don’t get a custody agreement in writing and Kevin doesn’t get a damn place …

Edited by Empress1
  • Love 11

I really hated the writing in this episode.  I see what they were trying to do in the two storylines, but they did not succeed.  I get that this episode is supposed to show Kate finally choosing her friend over her brother, but the execution was not there.  We already had an episode where Kevin realized he was going to miss out on some things with the twins, we don't need a part two.  I really hate that the show is putting Madison's needs with the twins over Kevin's.  Both of their needs are valid.  They need to communicate those needs and work together to fulfill this.  Co-parenting means both parents get roughly equal time with the twins, not what we are still getting.  Kevin needs to get a house and Madison needs to talk to Kevin about things before talking to Kate and Elijah and whoever else.  

Now on to Beth. Beth, be the teacher you wanted to have when you were a kid, don't call up your former teacher from decades ago to ream him.  He wasn't what you personally needed.  That is a you problem, not his.  Not to mention, Beth lost her reason to dance.  Her old dance teacher could have gone to the funeral, told Beth sorry for your loss, etc.; but that's not going to bring back her desire to dance.  You have to love dance to dance ballet at the level we are supposed to believe Beth was as a teenager.  

• Love 11

I agree that this was one of the weaker episodes. Beth’s call to her teacher- I get why she did it - but it was so awkward to watch. I think it was her saying what she wanted to say in the restaurant when she was 19. I like the rest of the ballet stuff though.

(I say this mostly kidding) but Beth’s dad is too touchy feely for a Jamaican dad. That beach was definitely not in Kingston but I did love the mention of Hellshire. 

I don’t get why Kevin is suppose to feel bad for not seeing his kids for his family’s most important holiday. Fine Madison doesn’t have to be there but why shouldn’t he want to be with the kids? I hate when shows act like fathers aren’t as important as mothers. As some one who lost hers at 3, they are. 

• Love 10