Type keyword(s) to search

Phoenix Rising

DanaK
  • Start Topic

HBO's PHOENIX RISING, a two-part documentary produced and directed by Amy Berg (HBO's "The Case against Adnan Syed"), follows actress and activist Evan Rachel Wood as she takes her experience as a survivor of domestic violence to pursue justice, heal generational wounds, and reclaim her story. Almost a decade after escaping a dangerous relationship, Wood co-authors and successfully lobbies for passage of The Phoenix Act, legislation that extends the statute of limitations for domestic violence cases in California. Wood courageously uses her own experience to bring visibility to the issue; ultimately, in solidarity with fellow survivors.

PHOENIX RISING had its world premiere at the Sundance Film Festival and will debut on HBO on back-to-back nights. Part 1, "Phoenix Rising: Don't Fall," debuts TUESDAY, MARCH 15 at 9:00 p.m. ET/PT and Part 2, "Phoenix Rising: Stand Up" debuts WEDNESDAY, MARCH 16 at the same time. Both episodes will be available to stream on HBO Max beginning Tuesday, March 15.

Getting ready to watch this.  Evan Rachel Wood is from my hometown of Raleigh, NC. I’ve seen her dad in the local famous play A Christmas Carol. He’s an actor and noted for his long term role in that production.  ………….

OMG!  This a two part documentary.  I highly recommend it.   It’s unreal that Brian Warner aka as Marilyn Manson sounds like my Ex’s twin!  The MO is exactly the same!  Complete narcissistic evil a hole.  I’m so glad that his victims are finally speaking out.  It’s got me thinking about confronting or exposing my former abuser.  It’s been many years since it happened, but so what.  This has enlightened me!  I think it will do a lot to raise the consciousness in many others.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 11

Really tough to watch, but well done and necessary.  I hadn't heard how brutal the abuse was before this.  I don't know how anyone fully recovers from something like that.  The damage would be so deep.  

• Love 6
1 hour ago, LADreamr said:

Really tough to watch, but well done and necessary.  I hadn't heard how brutal the abuse was before this.  I don't know how anyone fully recovers from something like that.  The damage would be so deep.  

I agree.  It’s given me a lot to think about.  I buried so much from my abuse. I have the right to address it. This documentary has inspired me to do that. I think it will help a lot of people.  Of course, I hope at some point Warner will be held accountable for some of his crimes.  

• Love 5
42 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I agree.  It’s given me a lot to think about.  I buried so much from my abuse. I have the right to address it. This documentary has inspired me to do that. I think it will help a lot of people.  Of course, I hope at some point Warner will be held accountable for some of his crimes.  

I'm so sorry to hear that for you.  I hope you're healing.  I've been dealing with my abusive past and discovered that most of the triggers come when I feel trapped, in some way.  The abuse itself is an issue of course, but the feeling of having no way out seems to play a major role, too.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, LADreamr said:

I'm so sorry to hear that for you.  I hope you're healing.  I've been dealing with my abusive past and discovered that most of the triggers come when I feel trapped, in some way.  The abuse itself is an issue of course, but the feeling of having no way out seems to play a major role, too.

I’m sorry for you as well and I agree.  I have a lot of anxiety and I suspect unresolved trauma is exacerbating it.  

• Love 2

What courage Evan has to have to expose this horrible chapter in her life. The fact that they are both celebrities makes it worse and because these allegations are completely on brand for him and his fan base will probably not be shocked or even think there is anything wrong about his behavior makes it worse.  I hope that she remains safe and gets the help that she needs to help her deal with the abuse. I certainly feel much more empathy for her since watching this.

• Love 9