Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: Shadow Ridge

scarynikki12
  • Start Topic

After the first episode, I joked that Naomi took place on Earth-2. When I think about it, the story beats are similar. Unlike Courtney, she doesn't make friends and then deputize them into heroes. No, Naomi basically has a preexisting Scooby Gang. They specialize in solving just one mystery: her origins.

A lot of stuff makes sense in my head, but then it gets lost in translation when I type it. I think the preceding paragraph is one of those instances.

What are Naomi's powers? It feels "elemental-slash-whatever-she-needs-at-that-time" right now.

I'm really not into any of the teen drama, but I suppose it's needed for the younger (than me, I guess!) viewers. Although it was nice to see the 'Scooby gang' doing somewhat realistic stuff that actual teens might do. (Unlike some other shows with high school characters that never seem to do high school things.)

Right - so Naomi's school managed to pick a campground that just so happens to have an alien (criminal/smuggler/chemist????) working there. How many aliens are on this planet anyway?? But yet Superman is a myth??

Not that this has to be action all the time, but the confrontation between Dee, Zumbado, and the bounty hunter was seriously anticlimactic. Did they even need both of them there? But at least we got a few more nuggets of info about them. So Zumbado is royalty? (And now he sells used cars on Earth? Harsh.)

I'm not sure what Dee's wife's(?) name on the list was supposed to mean -- is she still alive; or was she captured by that bounty hunter in the past?

Naomi's parents are not as slick as they think they are! But anyway, is Naomi Mom still going to work on decoding the language? I might have missed some exposition.

16 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

What are Naomi's powers? It feels "elemental-slash-whatever-she-needs-at-that-time" right now.

They're being way too vague this far in.

• Love 2

I loved the description of meditation training. As someone who's done it, that was right on and went directly at a key, and common, misconception about control. I actually found that to be a public service message, especially with how it interacts with trauma. There is a lot of trauma going unaddressed in the world. Any breadcrumbs that might lead someone to a tool to address it is awesome, all the more so because you don't have to be looking for help with trauma in order to find it, when it's tucked into a show that doesn't advertize itself as being for that purpose.

• Useful 1

As someone who has a bit of a love-hate relationship with camping, I was definitely feeling Annabelle on this one.  Sure, nature is cool and all, but no cellphone service or internet?!  Noooo!

Not wild about the teenage drama, but I did find it interesting/refreshing that Naomi/Nathan weren't a long term thing in the past and only just started going out, before she ended it (because of her fears and insecurities.)  Still puts them at a more level playing field compared to her other love interests.  At least they seemed to make progress this time, but it seems clear she also has some sort of feelings for Anthony and, while not featured in this episode; there is still something going on with her and Lourdes that she is clearly enjoying.  Naomi just needs to go ahead and do a dating show game to solve this!

Naomi's parents get to go on their first "Cover for our daughter before she's exposed!" mission and are already in the crosshairs of Greg's boss.  To be fair, even if there wasn't a hidden camera there, neither one of them are really good at the whole subterfuge thing.  At least work on y'alls poker faces and abilities to make up a story/excuse on the spot, guys!

Dee and Zumando briefly align to get rid of the bounty hunter for good, but it's clear they aren't going to be friends anytime soon... 

• Love 1