Type keyword(s) to search

S47.E13: John Mulaney / LCD Soundsystem

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

I learned about B&H when I lived in CA, from friends who live in CA.  But like Mulaney, I suspect they mean a lot to a small group of people [outside of NYC].

Most pro photographers and videographers would know about B&H even outside of NY I would think. 

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, BC4ME said:

Most pro photographers and videographers would know about B&H even outside of NY I would think. 

True. I'm in the Midwest and have purchased many cameras and lenses from B&H. I laughed hard at it being referenced in that sketch, I totally got it. I've never been to NYC, I'm not a Broadway fan, but I also caught all the song references. I thought that churro sketch was brilliant. I look forward to this series whenever Mulaney is hosting so was glad to see a new installment.

• Love 6

I didn’t think I would be able to enjoy the show all that much this weekend, but it was nice to smile for a few minutes after everything that has been going on these past few days.  Paul Rudd and Conan O’Brien being in that 5-timers sketch was everything that I didn’t know that I wanted.  That was terrific.

The Subway Churro intro was so funny:  “They still make O Henry candy bars? // No.”  And “They smell delicious, and that’s saying something because I have active COVID.”  I love musical theater, full cast sketches and NYC, so these sketches always hit right for me.

Edited by Peace 47
  • Love 9

Fun show.

Loved the CO with the Ukrainian chorus. Beautiful. Was that the National Anthem?

Mulaney's monologue was great. 

Monkey Judge was so so silly, which made it funny. Mulaney played it perfectly. 

The Five-Timers Club sketch was the best. I can't believe how excited I was when Conan walked out. "Did somebody say 'Not special'?" But everyone was great. "Gross. Dan Aykroyd's vodka?"

I liked the musical sketch. I always liked Mulaney's musical sketches.

20 hours ago, JeanJean said:

Musical guests: First song ick, but second song fun  (even though fun is a little jarring right now because of the world). Second song very Talking Headsy to me.

I watched/listened to the first song most of the way thru then decided it was hurting my ears. I FF'd completely thru the second, but maybe I should give it a listen.

19 hours ago, SHD said:

I do agree about the Cha Cha Slide do-over. It didn’t really need to exist but I do love watching John Mulaney do the ridiculous line dance motions.

Yes, the sketch was basically a repeat of the first one, but I just find it delightful watching Mulaney dance.

• Love 11
3 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Loved the CO with the Ukrainian chorus. Beautiful. Was that the National Anthem?

I read that the song was “Prayer for Ukraine,” a patriotic hymn written in 1885 (but it’s not the national anthem).  It was a beautiful song.

Edited by Peace 47
  • Useful 3
  • Love 3
21 hours ago, sheetmoss said:

People keep saying there was a monologue, in the Chicago airing, the show opening went from the choir to the dog food commercial.

I watched the show on over-the-air channel 5 in Chicago, and it had the monologue.

Melissa Villasenor just has that face that makes her perfect for playing the churro lady.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, LennieBriscoe said:

John Mullaney is still brilliant.

True dat.  I'm glad I knew nothing about the scandal when I watched the show, because I simply enjoyed it. 

Then I looked into what happened (it occurred to me during his monologue that having a baby that fast after rehab probably isn't recommended, and I was curious about that).  And now I know about the scandal AND all the drama and analysis surrounding people's reaction to the scandal and long for my blissful naïveté of just a few days ago, enjoying a hilarious monologue and a guy dressed up as a monkey judge.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

I remembered enough about the scandal to know that he acted badly in some fashion, but his shrewd focussing on his rehab in the monologue gave me permission to find him funny.

Did anyone notice that Steve Martin was holding his left (camera-right) arm and shoulder kind of oddly? Has he had recent rotator cuff surgery or something?

• Useful 1
4 hours ago, Milburn Stone said:

Did anyone notice that Steve Martin was holding his left (camera-right) arm and shoulder kind of oddly? Has he had recent rotator cuff surgery or something?

I recently had it and it's a bitch!

On topic:  I would watch John Mulaney host this show every week, I love him that much. Going to see "From Scratch" tour March 12th. Yay!

• Love 6
33 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Monkey judge reminds me of Boss Baby.

I never enjoyed Boss Baby but for some reason Monkey Judge did amuse me. I don't need or want it to be a recurring bit unless they think of some truly new variations on the joke, but he was judgy enough that it made me laugh. 

• Love 3

I've never been as big a Mulaney fan as many SNL-ers but this was just a great show.  The no-guest WU caught me off guard ("Did they just do that?") but then they went into the musical.

LCD Soundsystem: I generally like that genre so I'm sorta-kinda glad they were on the show, but they are annoying to me for some reason.

• Love 1
On 2/27/2022 at 2:25 PM, ebk57 said:

B&H is owned by Hasidic Jews and employs a lot of them, so the Fiddler chorus/dancers being B&H employees on their lunch break was the joke. 

Thank you!  I had to scroll through a lot to finally get an explanation.  😉

Mulaney has changed the dates of his rehab stay. In this Sept. 2021 interview, he told Seth Meyers that he did rehab from Sept to Oct. 2020, after which he moved out of the home he shared with his wife. He said he relapsed after hosting the SNL Halloween show, but does not mention another rehab stint. In his SNL monolog, he says rehab was Dec. 2020 to Feb. 2021. A little odd.

has

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
4 hours ago, Inquisitionist said:

Mulaney has changed the dates of his rehab stay. In this Sept. 2021 interview, he told Seth Meyers that he did rehab from Sept to Oct. 2020, after which he moved out of the home he shared with his wife. He said he relapsed after hosting the SNL Halloween show, but does not mention another rehab stint.

His first rehab stint in 2020 wasn't really known about.  It was only reported after the second rehab stint happened. The second stint came after the intervention and is the one he talked about in his SNL monologue. That one was widely reported in entertainment media at the time it happened. 

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

His first rehab stint in 2020 wasn't really known about.  It was only reported after the second rehab stint happened. The second stint came after the intervention and is the one he talked about in his SNL monologue. That one was widely reported in entertainment media at the time it happened. 

Thanks.  I get now that he went to rehab twice in rapid succession but I still find it weird that on these two occasions (Meyers in Sept 2021, SNL just now), he's spoken about each one as if it were the only time. He's also fudged the timeline of his involvement with Olivia Munn.  

I think he goes for the story, which is what all stand ups do. If he was writing an autobiography, maybe he'd be more careful with the details. Or, maybe not. But I think this is fairly common, to simplify and embellish in order to frame the joke.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, possibilities said:

I think he goes for the story, which is what all stand ups do. If he was writing an autobiography, maybe he'd be more careful with the details. Or, maybe not. But I think this is fairly common, to simplify and embellish in order to frame the joke.

Are you saying that a priest, a minister, and a rabbi DIDN'T walk into a bar?

• LOL 6
  • Love 2
On 3/2/2022 at 7:57 AM, Inquisitionist said:

Thanks.  I get now that he went to rehab twice in rapid succession but I still find it weird that on these two occasions (Meyers in Sept 2021, SNL just now), he's spoken about each one as if it were the only time. He's also fudged the timeline of his involvement with Olivia Munn.  

You really are the Inquisitionist!  Nobody expected that.

• Love 2
On 3/2/2022 at 2:30 PM, possibilities said:

Fair point, but what mode in he in when he's being interviewed, as in the Seth Meyers blurb above? Or in magazines?  

On 3/6/2022 at 8:53 AM, heatherchandler said:

You really are the Inquisitionist!  Nobody expected that.

Watch out or I'll fetch the soft cushions! 😆

• LOL 1
On 2/28/2022 at 9:29 PM, JZL said:

I've never been as big a Mulaney fan as many SNL-ers but this was just a great show.  The no-guest WU caught me off guard ("Did they just do that?") but then they went into the musical.

LCD Soundsystem: I generally like that genre so I'm sorta-kinda glad they were on the show, but they are annoying to me for some reason.

I Like The February 29 Monologue THE BEST ! I Thought Week End Update Was Short Because OF Ukraine, But Now I Think The Musical Sketch Was Probably Long And That Is Why Week End Update Was Short ! ! They Are Annoying Because OF That Lead Singer Although I Did NOT Care For The Others Laughing In The Second Song ! ! I DID Like The Second Song, But, I Did NOT Like The First Song ! !