Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E15: Two Doors

secnarf
  • Start Topic

Max formulates a bold plan to help New Amsterdam before it's too late. Reynolds and Fuentes fight over the best way to handle a risky surgery. Wilder asks Dr. Castries for help with a terminal cancer patient. Iggy helps a father and son with trauma.

Original air date: 02/22/2022

Let’s just stick a fork in this show. Anyone know why they came back with one new episode only to take two months off? Why should we keep caring about it? 

I am a Sharpwin shipper but the phone sex scene felt like something out of a fanfic. It was just so embarrassing to watch and listen to I was laughing. 

There is way too much going on in the promo. Why is Lyn coming back? Whose pet storyline is that? No one cares. 

So Floyd runs the urgent care thing now? How was Claude even still out of work? He’d have his pick of jobs within 30 seconds of being let go from NA if this were the real world. Although Sandra Fall’s comedic timing this episode was good.

At least I now have two months to catch up on The Resident. (Started watching late last year and am about 40% of the way through S2 on Hulu.) Maybe I won’t even come back on April 19.

• Useful 1
  • Love 11

That flashback with the mean administrator…..(I don’t care enough to learn her name) …was weird.  Man, that was coincidental. In that last scene as she was talking about picking a door….she did not look healthy at all.  

I though Iggy got the diagnosis right about the deluded father.  I’ve seen it close up.  

That phone sex was not good.  It made me laugh too.  Omg…why can’t the writers get their relationship right?  Is it that difficult?  

Im watching The Resident too, but I dread what’s coming next in that.  It’s good I’ll have lots of time to exercise this spring.  Assuming my knee injury resolves.

• Love 3

Seems weird to only have one new episode and then a long break.

I can't believe I am saying this, but I thought Iggy actually gave good advice to the son he was treating. That father wasn't going to change his conspiracy theories and if the son wants a relationship, it is better to avoid discussing the issues rather than trying to change him. But if I was involved in a mass shooting and a one of my parents didn't believe it happened......I don't see wanting a relationship. But that was the son's choice.

I had totally forgotten Lauren existed until she walked in at the end.

I don't get Max's plan. Work at this clinic, get a seat on the board, get Veronica fired....and then go back to London so someone else who cares about money can take over? But it was nice to see all those good characters they got rid of, even if I don't get why they changed their minds.

I actually like the holistic doctor. That patient who couldn't make his daughter's wedding was so sad though.

Helen, maybe stop answering your calls from Max on speaker after the first time he makes sexual comments in from of your colleagues? Or maybe never answer his calls on speaker in the first place because he's Max.

• Useful 2
  • Love 14

Agree on the long break  I understand with the Olympics but didn't know this next break is the "winter" hiatus?  It's ridiculous.

I see they did not rid themselves of Veronica

I don't understand that or why Floyd is running the Urgent Care facility?   This show is supposed to be about Max & New Amsterdam - how is this relevant (other than those who were laid off have a job--good to see them) and agree about Claude still not finding a job with his credentials.

Thank you posters - I'm so glad I wasn't the only one embarrassed by the phone sex at the end.  It seemed too stilted and yes, definitely sounded like something from fanfic but unfortunately, a bad fanfic.  Again, this is TV - show don't tell us what you'd done on the patio🙄

I'm not certain if I want to stick around for the April 19th episode.  Sharpwin had a huge unresolved fight but now he wants to propose?  Has Serwa been forgotten?  Yes, why is Lyn returning?  Has she had the baby or miscarry?  But right, who cares.

• Love 1

Max has a special ringtone for Helen but Helen doesn’t have one for him. Show is saying Max cares more about their relationship than she does. Though I’d much rather my partner have a generic iPhone ringtone for my calls than Yummy by Justin Bieber. 👎🏻 

Edited by Frisky Wig
  • Love 4

Who said Floyd was running the UC place? He just called the former NA staff and persuaded them to help Max. BTW, Max, they aren’t your “friends.” 🙄

If a parent dismissed the most traumatic incident of my life as a hoax, I wouldn’t want anything to do with him/her. 
The phone sex was cringe-worthy. I was hoping Luna would interrupt them.

• Love 11

I agree about the dad too.  Iggy said it was the son’s choice.  So be it.  With a family member like that…..I’d likely end the contact.  That boy was young though.  He may change when he has had enough of it.  This reminds me of a husband/father on Dr. Phil who has similar odd beliefs. (Infant son has serious heart defects, surgery, etc, and husband believes it’s a hoax. They are lying about the infant being sick. Thinks surgery not real.) What do you do with people like that?  

I think the show has veered too far away from New Amsterdam too.  London, street treatments, urgent care,……….they really lost it, imo.  Does the show have real fans?  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I agree about the dad too.  Iggy said it was the son’s choice.  So be it.  With a family member like that…..I’d likely end the contact.  That boy was young though.  He may change when he has had enough of it.  This reminds me of a husband/father on Dr. Phil who has similar odd beliefs. (Infant son has serious heart defects, surgery, etc, and husband believes it’s a hoax. They are lying about the infant being sick. Thinks surgery not real.) What do you do with people like that?  

I think the show has veered too far away from New Amsterdam too.  London, street treatments, urgent care,……….they really lost it, imo.  Does the show have real fans?  

That whole Iggy segment just infuriated me, what message were they sending?  That alternate realities are just fine,  as long as you and daddy can make a coffee table together.  That was utter B.S   I just don't understand the point of it.  

Edited by jrzy
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6
12 hours ago, Frisky Wig said:

Max has a special ringtone for Helen but Helen doesn’t have one for him. Show is saying Max cares more about their relationship than she does. Though I’d much rather my partner have a generic iPhone ringtone for my calls than Yummy by Justin Bieber. 👎🏻 

That whole running gag made me gag,  ridiculous that a professional like Helen would have her personal phone open like that.  Not funny, not cute,  just stupid and cringy.

• Love 10
3 hours ago, jrzy said:

That whole running gag made me gag,  ridiculous that a professional like Helen would have her personal phone open like that.  Not funny, not cute,  just stupid and cringy.

And who the hell calls their partner for that sort of call without first saying “Are you alone?” I mean, is Max that stu—- oh, wait.

9ED091DC-7B2C-4F14-B09F-95DA8261231A.jpeg

Edited by CarpeFelis
  • LOL 7
  • Love 3

Where exactly are they going with Sharpwin? I can't tell anymore. Trying to follow them is making me dizzy. I assumed they'd both come back to NA, hopefully quickly, so there would be a normal show again. Now it seems like Helen might really be dug in on the whole London thing. I wouldn't be surprised if Max ends up in NY permanently again, and single.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, TooMuchRealityTV said:

Where exactly are they going with Sharpwin? I can't tell anymore. Trying to follow them is making me dizzy. I assumed they'd both come back to NA, hopefully quickly, so there would be a normal show again. Now it seems like Helen might really be dug in on the whole London thing. I wouldn't be surprised if Max ends up in NY permanently again, and single.

Sharpwin is really the only reason I’m still watching this mess. If they break up I am out of here. I really wish the writers hadn’t messed with what was going so well in S3. I don’t care about hot mess Lauren (watched the addict doctor trope twice on ER, and yes I get it; doctors can be addicts too) or Iggy possibly destroying his own (loving! stable!) marriage or whether or not Floyd is Lyn’s baby’s daddy. (They should just bring Maury on for a spot to announce who the father is.) 

It seems like in the promo that he wants to propose but also might not do it. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

Silly me. I thought that even the world’s worst psychiatrist would be able to treat someone suffering from delusions.

Maybe Iggy can try to help Max with his narcissistic tendencies. What kind of person insists on interrupting their girlfriend when they are in the middle of surgery for some creepy phone sex talk? It’s always about him. So all of the people that were fired due to his actions should be grateful that he asked them to help him get back at Fuentes, when he would just leave again anyway. Even when Floyd called him out on his nonsense he managed to turn it back around and blame Floyd for not being there for him. Floyd should tell him to sod off already and go back to London. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
41 minutes ago, Johnny Dollar said:

Silly me. I thought that even the world’s worst psychiatrist would be able to treat someone suffering from delusions.

I don't think that guy was actually suffering from delusions though. Delusions you can treat. That guy was just dumb enough to believe insane conspiracy theories. 

• Love 3

Okay guys, it's time for WORST DOCTOR EVER!!!

max why are you trespassing

uh max i doubt she would have a golden parachute, this is a public hospital

um so it looks like it is the start of the day for both of them - i guess timezones do not exist in this universe, that must be horrifying - is the earth flat in this universe? IS THERE AUSTRALIA?

oh look max stole papers from the office

oh right floyd screwed over the resistance

to the point where Iggy and Dr. Cuckoo are drinking coffee together? daaamn

oh hey this episode is directed by Ryan Eggold

um, iggy, it doesn't sound like he is processing it well at all for being 5 or 6 years out - it sounds like it is a recurring thought and you need to do some PTSD therapy with him like EMDR

oh god conspiracy theory dad - is the show going to try to tackle qanon in a hilariously bad way

oh look evil director is the surgeon floyd needs

is she going to get to get a owed a favor in exchange for operating a patient and complete Villian Bingo?

why is sharpe performing a surgery, she is just a hem-onc, what the hell england

oh look max is going to get a job there and then get on the board of new amsterdam because magic

i don't think bone cancer guy is going to last 3 more months

oh hey dr. evil lady is makign sense - she wants to know everything she can before cutting, but I doubt you need every scan in the book, since uhhh what does "every MRI and every CAT scan" consist of??

and reynolds if she starts to bleed that is when both of you can get in

reynolds don't attack your boss when she is apparently super duper rare specialty

oh look it's a flashback to show that she was good once

wait wait - so if floyd's patient has an NET, yeah, those are rare - but they could literally just get someone from MSK (Or whatever this universe's version of MSK is) to operate on it - they have a NET department in their gastro department or colorectal or w/e it falls under

so uh is this kid coming to therapy for himself, or is he asking Iggy to do therapy on a consenting adult because his adult son is concerned about him

ha ha the urgent care guy caught onto Max right away

uh oh, he gave max a quest, max is gonna complete it in record time

sharpe, haven't you learned by now to not pick up calls from max

or, max, haven't you learned to not call Sharpe when she is at work. I mean, she shouldn't be at work because it is mid afternoon in NYC - so it should be past work hours in London, but the light outside of the window makes it look like it is the afternoon there too

uhhhh awesome doctor, you should know that dr. crazypants cannot extend the life through alternative medicine and she should tell the patient that she thinks he won't make it three months

what why was dr. crazypants making a vinaigrette with a mortar and pestle

this is a very long therapy session with iggy

um iggy how does going into the why of it get the dad to not believe the shooting was a false flag

ok there we go, that's the reaction I was expecting

huh, dr. fuentes decided to operate on the patient without being too evil about it?

IT'S AWESOME ER NURSE

AND AWESOME HEAD OF NEURO

AND FORMER SURGERY CHAIR

AND IGGY'S FORMER... NURSE? - damn, she looks well off

AND THAT SECRETARY OR BILLING PERSON MAX HAD?

oh good everyone rejected him

"There's no place in the world like it"

uhhhh max you just came back from London

ok so the time passed in this episode is totally weird

with max and his stuff, we have to assume at least 2-4 hours. Same with Reynolds and his plot. Iggy might just be 45-60 minutes - and Dr. Wilder and Dr. Cuckkoopants could just be an hour or so (giving crazy doctor like 30 minutes to eat her salad). Sharpe has had a surgery and a meeting

this flashback storyline is so boring holy crap - i am guessing she ends up killing the patient like her supervisor predicted, then she loses her job, goes off to wherever the hell she was when board lady called her 

oh look, fuentes has become her supervisor that she hated

wow - time has finally passed in London! um sharpe you should check your phone since you run a clinic and all... but maybe you have a special ringtone for max

hey look Max and Floyd are on The Balcony Of Deep Thoughts

did it take that for floyd to realize he was a dick

jesus christ Iggy how long are your therapy sessions

and teh solution to that is ignore that the father thinks his son is part of a vast conspiracy? sure, that actually seems GOOD

ok i am going to laugh if the tibetan singing bowls kills osteosarcoma guy (or, well, dies during it)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA he did end up dying

oh god this back and forth speech with past and present fuentes is just grating

oh look everyone is at the urgent care clinc, even though it was giving off strong "Max is halluncating this" vibes with the music for a few seconds there

oh look bloom is back

ok, so sharpe says she is waking up in 3 hours - let's say that's 5 am, so it's 2 am there - so max is getting in at 9 pm to care for his daughter?

sharpe, you want to make new memories? you are talking on a telephone

oh god please don't do network television phone sex

ok i am just laughing at this part

are they goign to end the episode with this phone sex

why

why would they do this to us

is a fanfic author holding the writers room hostage

Okay, so I think we all know who the worst doctor was in this one:

For picking up her phone and/or not having a special ringtone for her boyfriend (She could even pick something professional, and not a random song like Max has) is DR. SHARPE!

In a very close second is Dr. Wilder!

addendum: if osteo guy was dying, sometimes when people are dying, they have a second wind which indicates that the end is near - you think he would've had that, or if he was in the midst of it, Wilder would've TOLD HIM SO HE COULD DIE WITH HIS DAUGHTER NEAR HIM - why was she acting like a newbie doctor, seemingly afraid to tell him?

also uhhhh why is it 2 months until a new episode? they should've just aired a repeat or something instead of this random airing

• LOL 3

This show is unwatchable. Yet, I watch it. Something is wrong with me

But seriously, it is getting worse each episode, when we thought it wouldn't be possible.

The one thing I actually thought was good, but probably a writing accident, was Fuentes refusing to operate without images or lab. In this show, people do all kinds of malpractice and think they are reals for it. Reynolds being outraged that she wanted to practice medicine was telling of where the writers are. But then, of course, she went back into villain character with her speech about just being ok with the defective system we live in

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Well, I came here to talk about how much better I think the show has been the last couple of episodes. I wasn't rolling my eyes as much as I have in the past. But I see I am alone in that assessment.  Sigh. 

I thought the father-son counseling issue was interesting, in that what Iggy told the son was good.  You can't change a person, you have to change your response to them. The son did have a choice, to not have contact with his father and lose him completely, or to try and have what they had in the past, bonding over building a table, and camping.  And maybe, the father will begin to see the truth. But the son will still be able to have a relationship with his father on some level that works for him.  Of course, this story seemed to be a metaphor for all the division in the world over political and social issues. 

After the second time one of them answered to phone on speaker, I would have thought Max and Helen would have learned to not do that. I think part of that storyline was to show how different their schedules are because of the time difference.  

Anyway ...  I'll keep watching.  I enjoyed this episode. 😁

• Like 1
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, cardigirl said:

The son did have a choice, to not have contact with his father and lose him completely, or to try and have what they had in the past, bonding over building a table, and camping. 

But it's more than just your crazy neighbor saying covid isn't real (can we at least all agree now that it is?) he was denying that his son went through probably the most traumatic experience of his life.  Sorry, that's a deal breaker for me.  

And why is Helen even picking up/answering her phone when she's in scrubs and masked up? that's why there's voice mail, sheez.

The best tonight, as usual, was Casey calling him on his hero delusion, when he's clearly stated he's going to walk away again.  Why should people disrupt their lives for him?

• Love 5
28 minutes ago, jabRI said:

But it's more than just your crazy neighbor saying covid isn't real (can we at least all agree now that it is?) he was denying that his son went through probably the most traumatic experience of his life.  Sorry, that's a deal breaker for me.  

And why is Helen even picking up/answering her phone when she's in scrubs and masked up? that's why there's voice mail, sheez.

The best tonight, as usual, was Casey calling him on his hero delusion, when he's clearly stated he's going to walk away again.  Why should people disrupt their lives for him?

Agreed, it would be seriously tough to have that traumatic event denied by someone you love. Maybe it was the only way the father could process it and not lose his mind entirely. 

But I still liked the advice of the only person you can change is yourself. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 2/23/2022 at 11:53 AM, LittleIggy said:

The phone sex was cringe-worthy. I was hoping Luna would interrupt them.

I think Max left Luna in a locker at the airport.  He says he's carting her back and forth across the pond...yet we never see her, hmmmm.

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, cardigirl said:

Well, I came here to talk about how much better I think the show has been the last couple of episodes. I wasn't rolling my eyes as much as I have in the past. But I see I am alone in that assessment.  Sigh. 

You're not alone in your assessment. 

• Love 2
18 hours ago, circumvent said:

This show is unwatchable. Yet, I watch it. Something is wrong with me

But seriously, it is getting worse each episode, when we thought it wouldn't be possible.

The one thing I actually thought was good, but probably a writing accident, was Fuentes refusing to operate without images or lab. In this show, people do all kinds of malpractice and think they are reals for it. Reynolds being outraged that she wanted to practice medicine was telling of where the writers are. But then, of course, she went back into villain character with her speech about just being ok with the defective system we live in

tbh I thought everyone was hatewatching it with me

16 hours ago, Johnny Dollar said:

Sorry bros42, loved your recap but the worst doctor of the week was Flashback Fuentes’ wig. 

god that wig was Elizabeth Keene (The Blacklist) level bad.

I try to keep the worst doctor to a character, but tbh I would not have been surprised if that wig just started crawling around on its own, it was like she was wearing some kind of ill-fitting animal or alien on her head. I probably should've put a worst wig category, but for most of the flashbacks my eyes were just glazing over as you can see by my recap.

7 hours ago, Lovecat said:

I think Max left Luna in a locker at the airport.  He says he's carting her back and forth across the pond...yet we never see her, hmmmm.

Nah, Luna is an honorary flight attendant on every LGA to London flight. She's racking up those miles.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
On 2/24/2022 at 11:29 PM, bros402 said:

Nah, Luna is an honorary flight attendant on every LGA to London flight. She's racking up those miles.

Pedant/AvGeek in me: LGA is short-hop domestic only. No customs/immigration facilities there, just JFK and EWR :) Any when they street-hailed the cab to take them to Kennedy last year, why on earth Terminal 4? That's for itinerant carriers. You'd think folks in their positions would be in business or first on either DL, BA or AA at Kennedy.

Like others, I have no idea why I'm still watching this show. Ever since Kapoor left it's been hot garbage, punctuated by some good intense SharpWin scenes. They have legitimate screen chemistry, but even that was wrecked by that awful phone sex subplot this week.

I can even tolerate Bloom when she's actually running the E.D. and dealing with the patient of the week, which is why medical shows get the ratings they do. I honestly don't get how the showrunners keep getting the go-ahead from the network for this crap. "Here guys, have another $12 Million to flush away."

10 hours ago, NJRadioGuy said:

Pedant/AvGeek in me: LGA is short-hop domestic only. No customs/immigration facilities there, just JFK and EWR :) Any when they street-hailed the cab to take them to Kennedy last year, why on earth Terminal 4? That's for itinerant carriers. You'd think folks in their positions would be in business or first on either DL, BA or AA at Kennedy.

Like others, I have no idea why I'm still watching this show. Ever since Kapoor left it's been hot garbage, punctuated by some good intense SharpWin scenes. They have legitimate screen chemistry, but even that was wrecked by that awful phone sex subplot this week.

I can even tolerate Bloom when she's actually running the E.D. and dealing with the patient of the week, which is why medical shows get the ratings they do. I honestly don't get how the showrunners keep getting the go-ahead from the network for this crap. "Here guys, have another $12 Million to flush away."

Ah damn, I was picking the closest airport to Bellevue. 

The show got a 3 season renewal after 2, so that is why we keep getting this hatewatch worthy show.

I'm surprised I'm able to read these comments, my eyes were rolling so much watching this episode that I'm surprised I am not blind. I don't think I have anything new to add (haven't read ALL the comments) but I have to exorcise these thoughts out of my brain:

1. Dying patient who's daughter's wedding was 3 months away... How about being honest with him and his family, thereby potentially giving everyone an opportunity to at least push up a small bedside ceremony so the father could actually see is daughter get married? I've known people to push up or improvie important milestones in order for someone who is dying to hopefully participate as much as possible. While it seemed that he drifted off peacefully with the doctors around him -- Um, no family participated or was notified that he was on death's door? It may have been his decision not to tell anyone, but I do not remember that ever coming up. If I was the daughter, I would have wanted to know and I would have hauled ass to the hospital with my fiance, grabbed a JP, and gotten married right then and there. And had a full wedding later, doing something special to honor the dad that is no longer there. Wow, that was a lot, sorry for the free thinking rambling.

I fast forwarded through the flashbacks, I found them boring and since I dislike that character so much, I didn't care to learn more about her. I think she used to play a character decades ago in the soap Guiding Light. And I never liked the actress.

Like everyone else has said -- why is Helen having someone answer her phone in surgery? How unprofessional is that? There's voicemail, and if it was truly an emergency, Max could have called the hospital/clinic and said as much. That said, Helen should really think about answer the phone with these words: "Hi Max, you're on speaker." That's what I do if I take a call and I answer on speaker. 

The phone sex was sooooo cringy. It really was terrible. I was embarrassed for the show and the actors. I don't know how they got through it without laughing hysterically. 

For once, I didn't mind Iggy, though if I were that kid, I would have had to write my father off full stop.

I don't know where this show is going or why I'm still watching. I think I'm hate watching at this point. 

• Love 2
On 2/22/2022 at 11:33 PM, KaveDweller said:

Helen, maybe stop answering your calls from Max on speaker after the first time he makes sexual comments in from of your colleagues? Or maybe never answer his calls on speaker in the first place because he's Max.

ugh

how stupid was this, doesn't Max know she's working and likely not alone for these cringy conversations?  maybe ask her first if now is a good time? maybe she just hangs up or has her phone off while in meetings?

i am about done with this show

After getting pass the details of imaging, how a director can suddenly operate, the love stories within the show, etc.   I did see a great theme which applies in the real world of today.  For the Greater Good.  

Dr. Veronica stops any further surgery on this one particular patient.   Dr. Reynolds is totally beside himself, however has no control over the situation.   He believes in doing the most for a patient no matter the cost.   Veronica stopped the surgery knowing that the price was too high.   I believe it was quoted $7 million the hospital would have to pay.     According to Veronica, saving this person life was not guaranteed.   The money could be used for 3 other patients that needed surgery as well.   It was for the Greater Good.

So does this happen in the real world?   I believe the answer is yes.    Are our ethics controlled by money?     Who gets to decide who lives or die?     Or who should be allowed treatment or not?   How far do we go to keep a life going?   How far should we go?    

Not only does this theme apply to medical situations, but other situations as well.   What would you do if you were in Veronica’s shoes?   If you were in Dr. Reynold’s shoes?    I would not want to be in either shoes.  

• Like 1

I was super excited for the Karen sighting.

But I don't understand the plan. Max gets on the Board. Then what? He's just one vote. Are they implying that they only need one more vote to oust Veronica? Why is there an open seat? Does the clinic's seat have someone already in it, or is it just left empty right now waiting for Max to join?

Also, how does getting all that staff at the clinic suddenly mean they have more patients? And if they had the funds to hire staff, why were they not staffed already? And why did they not know how to find patients themselves? Someone should fire whoever was running that clinic before, because they really didn't seem to even be trying.

And why did Reynolds call everybody and ask them to help Max? If Max is planning to get Veronica fired and then go back to London, again: what is the plan?

And if they fire Veronica, and then Max goes back to London, will they no longer have a majority on the Board to hire a new person who supports Max's values?

I get it that Max probably isn't going back to London. But they are pretending he is and that they have a plan, without telling us what the plan is.

--

Reynolds is a whiny self-pitying brat. How long are they supposed to fight? Well, I don't know! Maybe until they win? Why do they think Max should fight for them if they won't fight for themselves? It kills me that the privileged elite doctors whose jobs Max saved at the expense of the lower ranked workers are complaining about how they need to fight. They are not the ones being denied medical care, or living in poverty, or who had their jobs terminated in the downsizing! It's always the most privileged who feel the most passive and sorry for themselves! Reynolds is bored doing thee same surgery over and over again, boo hoo! I'm more concerned about the people whose surgeries are not getting approved at all, or who are being forced to  have expensice surgeries when less invasive and less profitable treatments would work. But all Reynolds can think about is his career and how bored he is.

--

I don't think they planned for the singing bowls to be the cancer patient's last moments. I thought they were just trying to help him relax and visualize the wedding, and that it was supposed to be emotionally healing, so he could face facts about not making it to the 3 month wedding date. It was a pain management and psychological peacefulness treatment. I did think Wilder tried to tell him that she didn't think she could guarantee him 3 more months. But he wasn't listening, he didn't want to hear it. Really, they should have called hospice. They have experience helping people face death. But the singing bowls and visualization were very soothing, so I guess he just relaxed and went sooner than they expected. Apparently he was running on adrenaline and as soon as he calmed down he was out.

--

Doctors should not be making quality of life decisions for patients. They should be explaining the situation and letting patients make their own decisions about whether they want to try something. That is separate from the issue of whether insurance will approve a procedure. But we see doctors on this show deciding something is or isn't worth it with quality of life arguments, which is not their choice to make. Floyd's patient should have gotten informed consent and an honest assessment of what might happen if they opened her up and found more cancer. She had a right to understand the various contingencies, get her affairs in order, and face her situation and not have the doctors discussing it but not informing her also.

--

Iggy said that they don't know how to get people to stop believing in conspiracy theories. I don't know enough about that to know if that's true or not, but given that he said it was and that usual cult-deprogramming doesn't work in this situation, I think he gave the kid the best advice he could. You can choose whether or not you still want the relationship, and how to make the most of it if you do. But you have to face reality and understand that you can't force the other person to change if they don't want to or can't. He wasn't saying it's okay, and to endorse the delusion. He was saying to figure out if there's anything about his dad that he still likes and wants to connect with, and connect on that basis, not endorsing the delusion.

Conspiracy theories aside, there really are people who are not going to change who they are, or be freed from a delusion. So in that situation, you decide whether there's anything left to connect with, or not. I've personally known people who perceive reality very differently than I do. Sometimes I've felt the gap was too big and I've not wanted to stay connected to them. But other times, I have. It's a choice. Not everything heals. Not all people change. You can't force people to be how you want them to be, even if you're right and they're wrong. They tried! And they ran out of ideas.

Also, I thought it was interesting that the theory about the dad is that he couldn't face the reality that his son was almost killed, so he convinced himself that it was fake. People do that a lot-- something is too painful to believe, so they just shut it out.

--

Don't answer calls on speaker unless you're alone, idiots! And don't answer personal calls at work in the middle of a meeting. Turn your ringer off, especially if you have a ringtone you'll be embarrassed by.

They couldn't make the phone sex more explicit because it's network TV. And I assume Max put Luna to bed before he called.