Type keyword(s) to search

All American: Homecoming - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)

Amara might be a terrible president! 

Is fall break, a break in OCTOBER when school starts in August/September and Thanksgiving is in November really a thing?

Maybe Zeke will teach at Bringston's medical school. Zeke seemed overly upset when he found out that Keisha wanted to abandon a future in medicine considering the only time he used his MD this season was examining Keisha's friends.

Damon lectured Jesse about honesty and integrity. Yet, he's open to playing for a man who is obviously worse in so many was. Shaw is an unapologetic cheater with absolutely no integrity. He tried to prevent Damon's brother's return to baseball. Surely, a relationship with Shaw wont't be good for Damon's brand.

If anyone should leave Bringston and play for Shaw, it's Santiago. Santiago can be Lando's catcher. 

Jesse being Damon's dad is a bit like Corey being Dillon's dad. It's truly odd that Xavier took Celine at her word, didn't request a paternity test, and told his wife, Keena that he "adopted" a child for them!  

This episode was supposed to highlight how terrible Jesse's decision was. His wife cheated on him after he had a vasectomy! Of course he assumed the other guy was the father. He tried to parent the other kid for a year and then decided that he'd rather focus on the kid that he knew was his. Sure it's terrible. But, everyone isn't Jordan!

Without Jesse's "bad" decision, there's a chance that neither Damon or JR would be where they are as baseball players. Look what Keena did for Damon's career even though Mr. MLB prospect and his star power gives up 3-4 runs a game against college baseball players.  Lando the legacy didn't get to Bringston. But, the Raymonds got JR there! The formerly sickly kid has a viral videos making the play of the game and a baseball scholarship that he somehow didn't lose when he was drinking, smoking, and abandoning the team! Jesse and Celine raising both those kids in their terrible twenty year marriage wouldn't have been awesome either.

So if Xavier had been Damon's father would Damon have been okay with the Raymonds raising him and keeping him away from Xavier? Also, Xavier knew all Damon's life who his mother was and also kept her away. Then when Xavier found out who Damon's father was, he also didn't share that information. 

Mr. Honesty and Integrity isn't exhibiting much of either with Thea.  

JR is super upset that Jesse kept him from his brother. Even though he told us weeks ago that he didn't want to be in Damon's shadow. If Jesse had raised Damon, the legacy kid who wasn't a sick child, Jesse might not have put the energy he did into JR becoming a baseball player. Also, JR dumped and has been a total jerk to someone he THOUGHT cheated on him. Surely, he can understand how devastating it might be if ones wife and the mother of ones child ACTUALLY cheated on him. Celine had a choice. Maybe not an easy choice but a choice. She could have been a single mother. If Damon was Xavier's son, surely Jesse and Xavier could have paid child support and helped raise their sons if it came to that.

To be clear, while I doubt JR or Damon would NOT have done any better in Jesse's shoes, Jesse sorta sucks. He didn't know that his son changed positions. Apparently, NO ONE showed Mr. Atlanta Adult League the viral video. No nieces, nephews, young neighbor's kids. NO ONE mentioned that this kid with Jesse's NAME was on the NEWS! Jesse didn't do any research on the team he agreed to coach. This dude!

Edited by Rae Spellman
  • Love 2

I have little trouble buying the shoulder injury due to the weight of the racket.  Thea was fully extending herself physically in that crucial match.  I can not buy the outrageous transference by Thea on to Simone.  

The stepping seemed a lot better than the drumline, but it was levels below what I have seen elsewhere.

The delusional nature of expecting to reach the fundraising goal was a major error by TPTB.  The attempt was noble.  Why couldn't that have  been enough?  At some point, with each character acting irrationally, the whole show loses relevance.  We are just about there, if we are not already there.  That's a genuine shame.

Simone is not a good person.  But, taking advantage of the GAU opportunity was a no-brainer.  I fully agree that keeping up the pretense of her being world class in tennis is insane.  Cam was being run off the team as many are when they can no longer meet a contributing standard.  The refusal to renew the schollie was based on a ridic pretext.  The scarcity of resources for Bringston Athletics is no joke.  Cam was an enormous liability and weight to carry.  See ya.

Keisha continues to be the heroic one.  It's impossible for me to not like her.  I'm glad she has managed to retain integrity as a character.  Her exposition about abandonment issues rang completely true, to me.  I want her to be right about Cam.  He does seem to have a lot going for him.  They would make a fine team in marriage, imo.

The baseball scenes continue to be silly.  The worst one was when the hitter got injured beating the throw to first.  The reactions of worry for and by Damon were stoopid.  He forced a very weak ground ball that was a "seeing eye" single.  Great pitch.  Excellent opportunity for an out.  It was just bad luck.  A pitcher would take heart that he got a hitter to hit a weak grounder.  He would also likely be pissed at the fates.  He would not furrow his brow and take on the weight of the world.

• Love 2

I realized later they actually had set up Thea's injury from Simone's racket in the previous episode.  After she wins, she says something negative about the racket to Simone as she hands it back to her and walks off.  I didn't think anything of it because I thought it was just Thea being surly because of overhearing Simone and Damon's conversation.  I can see how it would happen, but it's still stupid that they chose this as their way to pit Thea and Simone against each other again.  I guess it's better than just fighting over a guy (maybe, a little). 

One thing in the baseball game that was annoying was how when Shaw made a visit to the mound and then the pitcher threw to first base twice, people were getting mad and going, "He's trying to slow the pace down!"  This was likely supposed to be another example of how evil Shaw is, but a coach likely would go to the mound to settle things down when the pitcher has given up four runs in the first inning.  (Probably their pitching coach, but it's not like the show would pay for another actor.)  And there may have been some bigger slow guy on first when they threw over, but if the whole game was changed because of two throws over, then Bringston really does have problems.  If the program is saved and Damon is still there (which of course he will be), I wonder if he will still have to pitch every game in the spring when they'll have three or four a week!  They'll hopefully make reference to other guys pitching in the games that aren't shown.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

The stepping seemed a lot better than the drumline, but it was levels below what I have seen elsewhere.

I loved that after JR gave that introduction, he stepped into the back of the line and then just disappeared from the entire performance! 😂 Guess he couldn't learn the choreo....

I thought they were rushing Thea's "transformation". So although I think it's a bit much for her to blame Simone for everything, it feels very true to the character we were introduced to. 

Totally didn't realize that this (or the AA OG) episode was the finale. Especially because they're still in the middle of the fall semester. I'm really hoping they don't go for a Degrassi later seasons-type timeline where each 20 ep season is a quarter/semester, cause it just drags things out toooooo much. 

• Love 1
On 5/27/2022 at 5:51 AM, KWalkerInc said:

I realized later they actually had set up Thea's injury from Simone's racket in the previous episode.  After she wins, she says something negative about the racket to Simone as she hands it back to her and walks off.  I didn't think anything of it because I thought it was just Thea being surly because of overhearing Simone and Damon's conversation.  I can see how it would happen, but it's still stupid that they chose this as their way to pit Thea and Simone against each other again.  I guess it's better than just fighting over a guy (maybe, a little). 

Finally finished binge watching the first season and this is what had me rolling my eyes and shouting at the TV. I am calling BS on Thea only having two or three tennis rackets ready for play. Isn’t she supposed to be a top ranked junior/college player destined for the pro tour? You’d think she would have a stash of rackets on standby. We know her family has the money. This future storyline is contrived. 

The Damon birth parents mystery was giving me whiplash so I am glad that has been resolved. Curious to see where that phone call with the coach from the other uni leads. Speaking of that coach, he is too cartoonish for me.

I do appreciate the show tackling issues around mental health but I think that storyline could have been written better.

Nate and Keisha were my favorites from the season. I loved all of the fabulous hairstyles on this show!!!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Yeah, Damon's really going to transfer.  Like anyone believes that.  Maybe the return of Marcus as coach sometime down the road will play a role in his inevitable change of heart.  Of course, he was already going to stay because of the cute baby photos before Jessie had to pop in.

If they wanted to get a crossover audience, why did they not advertise Spencer in the commercials?  I don't know if it would increase the audience, but it probably couldn't hurt.  They had a quick shot of Jordan confronting Damon.  I don't buy that Spencer would be this together like a week after his break-up.  Jordan is an idiot.  In the previous show, he doesn't want to risk playing football because the hand he injured punching someone is healed, but he wants to play it safe for his future.  So then here, he punches someone else a bunch of times.  His behavior is even dumber than Thea's.  It's fine for Thea to have an edge, but I hope she will tone it down and not just be turned into the villain so they can pump up Simone.  If Simone at her best were that great a player, then it wouldn't be "either/or" between her and Thea after she recovers.  They would both be there and one of the extras would get the boot.  But that's probably not dramatic enough.  I guess the actress who plays invisible tennis coach is unavailable, as now we've got a coach onscreen but the head coach is still invisible.

I'm glad that Marcus was able to get some help with his mental health struggles, but six weeks in a facility?  Do the writers realize how expensive that would be?  They must have a damn good health insurance program for Bringston employees in spite of their many financial difficulties.  I'm sure with Amara in charge she would do her best to help him, but they didn't say anything about that.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, KWalkerInc said:

Yeah, Damon's really going to transfer.  Like anyone believes that.  Maybe the return of Marcus as coach sometime down the road will play a role in his inevitable change of heart.  Of course, he was already going to stay because of the cute baby photos before Jessie had to pop in.

If they wanted to get a crossover audience, why did they not advertise Spencer in the commercials?  I don't know if it would increase the audience, but it probably couldn't hurt.  They had a quick shot of Jordan confronting Damon.  I don't buy that Spencer would be this together like a week after his break-up.  Jordan is an idiot.  In the previous show, he doesn't want to risk playing football because the hand he injured punching someone is healed, but he wants to play it safe for his future.  So then here, he punches someone else a bunch of times.  His behavior is even dumber than Thea's.  It's fine for Thea to have an edge, but I hope she will tone it down and not just be turned into the villain so they can pump up Simone.  If Simone at her best were that great a player, then it wouldn't be "either/or" between her and Thea after she recovers.  

I liked Thea and Simone much better as frenemies  I was so glad when Thea was toned down a bit from when the show first started, and Thea became a part of the group. Now we’ve got this this out-of-comtrol she-beast that Thea’s suddenly turned into. Holy cow, she’s worse than before, and I can only guess that’s about propping up Simone and giving Damon a reason to leave Thea for her.

• Sad 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

Damon is not a good friend. He brought Thea to Simone's aunt's house while they are at odds. If he wanted a group hang, surely he could have planned something different w/ JR, Nate, and Thea. Maybe even invite JR's ex. 

Edited to add a few things.

Simone didn't like that Amara invited her nemesis to brunch. But, she invited Cam's nemesis. Then she decided to leave before Spencer was able to have a bite to eat! JR could have just streamed R&B holiday tunes!

Jesse might be a terrible, husband, father and coach. He claimed that the baseball team is trash without Damon. Damon gives up 3+ runs a game and even though he stole Lando's spot, I'm not convinced that Damon is better. The rest of the team scores more runs than that in the games they win. Surely, they aren't trash. Maybe Santiago, JR, and the rest of the team should enter the transfer portal, too since their coach doesn't respect or have faith in them.

Kudos to JR for protecting his peace!

Edited by Rae Spellman
  • Love 1

It's pretty bad that now Coach Shaw seems to have more of a conscience than Jessie does.  I know his yelling at Damon for being "selfish" did make him think a lot, but really?  In his mind, Jessie had his reasons for dumping Damon as a child, but he's not exactly the poster child for selflessness.  I look forward to hearing his explanation for kicking Damon off the team for Lando.  Lando is probably a better pitcher from what we've seen, but they really should consider having more than one pitcher, and Damon is certainly better than that guy he was trying to help with his curveball.  I'm sure there's a lesser player than Damon who could lose his scholarship, but the explanation will have something to do with loyalty (which again is interesting from Jessie). 

The baseball program is still in better shape than the tennis program.  Now the assistant coach is invisible too, and they're having a "game" where they try to drill each other with the ball?  Even if the goal is to hit the person's butt, they obviously don't all have perfect aim, so the whole thing is stupid.  Somebody was bound to get hurt even if Simone weren't pissed.  I also could have done without Tootie's speech about how she's picking on Simone because she can sense greatness in her or whatever.  I figured New Year's Eve guy would obviously appear again, but didn't know he'd be with the men's team that is suddenly interacting all the time with the women when they didn't before.

Nate is a series regular now, yet isn't present (and I don't think there was an explanation this time) when Keisha gets word about her dance tryout?  But Thea is there and being nice even though they don't like each other right now because Keisha is on Team Simone.  This doesn't make sense.  This network really has a low budget if Nate couldn't even have one scene.

I'm glad that Cam got to register for his classes, even though the lady at the desk is probably right that Amara's efforts to solve everything unfair about college and finances won't pan out.

Edited by KWalkerInc
Messed up another name.
  • Like 2
On 10/19/2022 at 5:18 AM, KWalkerInc said:

Nate is a series regular now, yet isn't present (and I don't think there was an explanation this time) when Keisha gets word about her dance tryout?  But Thea is there and being nice even though they don't like each other right now because Keisha is on Team Simone.  This doesn't make sense.  This network really has a low budget if Nate couldn't even have one scene.

I noticed that too and immediately shouted at the TV, "where's Nate?!?!?!?! No way in hell would she would miss out on supporting Keisha like this!"

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I know we don't know much about Nate's relationship with Nico, but I agree with Keisha that he seems horrible.  Because of him, they're getting rid of the family dinners, because God forbid there be any setting for light-hearted moments (even though they were using it as an excuse for everyone to argue at the end).  For a second, I thought Amara was going to tell everyone about dating Keisha's dad!  If they're setting up Lando as a love interest for Simone, what was the point of the tennis guy from New Year's Eve?  I guess Thea drew the short straw and had to sit out of this week's episode.  And the tennis assistant coach is mad at Simone for her brilliant strategy of helping half the team, but wasn't around when they were hitting the ball at each other last week.  Of course it's because Simone is a "natural leader" so Coach expects more than from Thea and Tootie.  Okay.  I doubt Tootie and company would have listened to Simone if she had offered to share her research on the opponent, and I thought the whole team hated Simone last week.  Now it is only half of them, even though that wasn't what it looked like before.  I did like that Lando cares about the baseball team and advised Damon not to let his family stuff hurt them, though I hope there won't be a full reconciliation with Jesse.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

It could be argued that Mr. I'm Nobody's #2 is nobody's #1. Except maybe JR's. Celine chose her family, Jesse chose his pride,  Xavier might have chosen him because it's what he could have of Celine. Thea cares more about tennis and getting the best of Simone. Simone will fly to Chicago on a whim for him but still won't be with him. 

Damon really told Simone that she was a better person than Thea, the person he's leading on. Before Damon and the injury was Thea really a terrible person, or just an ambitious jerk who didn't have any social skills? Tootie seems to be treating Simone worse than Thea ever did. 

Damon quit the team, realized that he would miss his teammates, and then insisted that he deserved the pitch the first game after Marcus and JR fought to get him back to Bringston. For all the Keena-cultivated hype around Damon, Lando has held his own or outperformed Damon every time they've faced off. Pitching 2nd could have been a logical consequence for Damon flip-flopping about whether or not he was willing to remain on the team.

Lando showed leadership. He brought dessert to family dinner. He deserves better than Simone. The audacity of Damon having an issue with Simone inviting Lando to her aunt's house while he's invited Thea to events with Simone's aunt and friends is truly something. 

Nico was terrible. Depending on how terrible he is, staying with Nate and eventually getting an invitation to family dinner might have been a better approach. Zeke or Jesse Sr. could start hosting family dinners! Or the kids could learn how to cook, order food, or whatever, and have family dinners without the university faculty. 

As much as folks randomly knock on Amara's door, I'm surprised no one knows about her and Zeke. Somehow I love this show while not caring much for either of the leads. This episode, I appreciated JR, Nate, Lando, Cam, Zeke, Gabby, Marcus, and the crying tennis player more than Damon or Simone. 

• Like 2

This show always goes straight to the extremes. There was no reason for Amara to cancel family dinners. It's for her family, actual and chosen. If she wanted to address that tweet, she could just create a monthly Bringston Family Dinner for the school community. It could be rotated through different places on campus (dorms, Student Union, greek houses, the quad) and catered by the school, giving students informal access to her. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

Monthly Bringston Family Dinners is a great idea. A twist on office hours. There could be a KEK dinner. A team unifying tennis team dinner. A baseball and acapella group dinner. The possibilities are endless. Amara could even start with Nico's group.

If Amara wants to keep it during business hours and doesn't want to cook for everyone, it could be coffee, smoothies, or lunch with President Patterson at various on campus establishments that serve food and beverages.

• Love 2

I get the attempt to portray disgusting violence against people of color and the bind that they are dependent upon law enforcement who are themselves seen to be enemies.  But, this was way too ambitious for a single ep.

Of all the Misses, the biggest for me was the cartoonish portrayal of the FBI agent in charge.  He would be under huge pressures and he likely would have experienced hoaxes in his career.  There sure are too many of these, too.  Before he committed major resources, he had to assess the credibility of the reporting citizen.  The Snidely Whiplash fool we saw was way over the top - especially in these times and especially in Atlanta, which has been going through significant racial tensions (riots included) in recent times.  

I will say Cam's angry, "It took them 5 minutes.  Just five minutes!!!!"  was very, very, powerful.

Shelter in place?  If I were there, and I was told the threat was a bomb, not a shooter, my behind would be long gone from that area pronto.  I have little doubt that this would be the go-to protocol by Bringston, though.

Not buying the rapprochement between Thea and Simone, either.  The burgeoning romance Simone is experiencing does make some sense.

The Nate/Nico arc is excellent, though. It is richly layered and it is not being sensationalized as of now.  Well done, show.

So...points for the try, but they just did not give themselves a chance for something truly special.  YMMV.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Amara and Keisha were in peril and we didn't even get a glimpse of Zeke trying to contact either of them.  Simone was going to give Lando his phone back eventually. Eventually! While I prefer the supporting cast to the leads, I liked Simone this episode. I liked Damon, too except for how dirty he's doing Thea. And Simone. At this point I'm rooting for Thea and Simone to repair their fledgling friendship for neither of them to end up with Damon. 

Jesse may wait for Damon indefinitely at that diner while being a terrible dad to the kid he raised. Of course Jesse didn't know anything about Damon outside baseball. He doesn't seem to know much about JR outside of the fact that that he was a sick kid. At least Celine seems to be striking the right balance between being interested in getting to know Damon and actually caring about her first born and whether or not he's pursuing his dreams.

• Love 2

Damon does look very bad to send that text to Simone and then go and tell Thea he loves her.  Thea just seems so desperate and reliant on him now, like she doesn't think she would be enough on her own.  I think she may not have dated a lot with as busy as she always was with tennis, plus she appreciates him being there for her after she was attacked.  I hope she will find some balance though.  It seems like the writers are really pushing the relationship and moving it quickly for having only been a couple months or so just because they think Damon is supposed to be with Simone but want to wait years for that (if it ever even happens).  They probably wouldn't have any idea how to write them if they did get together, so they create obstacles while still dropping hints about how they're in love or something.

I like Keisha's approach with Nico at the end of the episode.  She doesn't want to stir up a lot of trouble and hurt Nate, but knows that Nico is rather controlling and condescending toward Nate.  Nico brags about how well he knows Nate, but didn't care that the family dinner was important to her (maybe trying to isolate her?).  Nico could have said that he condemned the family dinners because he represents the students and thought they were unfair to the student body, but instead just lied to Nate (unless it will turn out someone else made the post?). 

I don't think it was anything big, but did they give a reason for the second alarm that went off (when the cell service went out, right before a commercial break)?  It felt like the commercial break was going on forever on my station (again), and then they finally came back in the middle of a scene with Lando talking to Simone about the possibility of a coordinated attack.

• Love 2

Lando is wonderful. He believes in self-care and rest days. He brings dessert when invited to dinner. If things were different he would have been a better first for Thea. Thea and Damon are confusing. Cam seems to believe it's plausible that Damon and Thea love each other even though he should absolutely know about whatever is going on with Simone and Damon.  

Apparently Bringston Alumna Mama Mays has money. But, Granny's child, Mama or Papa Mays and his/her spouse doesn't. Are they middle class like the Raymonds who had some financial challenges when JR was younger but had enough to pay for JR's car and whatever baseball camps JR attended between his transplant and Bringston? 

Thea seems unaware that she can't really count on tennis if it costs her friendship and a relationship with her parents. It would be nice to see what impact falling out with Simone has had on Thea's fledgling friendship with Nate. 

Maybe Gabby, the Engineering TA is playing the long game with JR. She's encouraging him to get ho season out of his system before dating her. Perhaps she wants to make sure he won't be tempted by groupies if he continues to gain more notoriety as a star outfielder. If she wants him, she should consider if a guy who will have to travel for baseball would be worried about someone who proclaims to be a ho Yoda. After all, he broke up Aqueela b/c he thought she cheated while he was away!

Hopefully Damon and Simone end up like the Best Man's Jordan and Harper. The more time they spend apart the better I like them. If Damon wants to pledge, he should consider a different fraternity than KEK. JR should be able to do something at Bringston without his younger brother. At least his relationships w/ Gabby and Nate are about him and not centered on Damon. 

This week I wonder yet again, if Zeke is checking in on Amara and Keisha at all.  

Edited by Rae Spellman
  • Love 1

I think Damon isn't intentionally trying to string Thea along, and at least he didn't make any overtures toward Simone for a whole episode.  (Of course, that probably would have been different if he'd figured out why Lando was leaving that dorm in the morning.)  I liked when JR responded to Damon saying that he and Thea said ILY with "Already?!"  At least someone who acknowledges the accelerated timeline of this show.  Where the timeline really confuses me is with Thea being able to return to the court.  I suppose it's been about three months since her injury, but it seems like it wasn't a realistic recovery period for a major injury, especially with her having a "setback."  But I guess the writers figured they'd had her away long enough.

When Thea told her mom that she had friends other than Damon, I thought she was just trying to get her off her back, so I was surprised when Damon backed her up sincerely.  She really hasn't been shown interacting with anyone other than Damon or Simone lately, so it's hard to tell how the other characters currently feel about her.  (And of course, Nate's gone just as much as before she was a regular character!)

I wonder if they're deliberately keeping Zeke away for a while so that Marcus will think he's getting closer to Amara because she doesn't seem to be seeing anyone, only to be let down in some big reveal. 

I liked the reference to A Different World with the use of "Relax, Relate, Release!"  Coincidentally, I think the episode where Debbie Allen's character first says that was on last night, but I was watching something else.

• Love 2

Damon doesn't necessarily have any more friends than Thea. They've both sacrificed enduring relationships with others to be the best at their chosen sport. They both have social lives at Bringston mostly because they were pulled into Simone's circle.

Even if Thea doesn't have friends, Damon was right that she does have people who care about her. Amara cares. She let Damon bring her to family dinner even with Thea and Simone on the outs. For that matter, Simone cares. 

Damon probably likes and appreciates Simone and Thea for different reasons. He seemed like he meant it when he told Mama Mays that Thea was beautifully complicated and amazing. 

Edited by Rae Spellman

I keep trying to like and appreciate Simone.  I just can't.  

While I do give the show props for advocating that we not be afraid to avail ourselves of counseling, I think it does great damage when the characters come bouncing out of sessions as if they are "cured."  If there is longitudinal and consistent portrayals of mental struggles by these characters and their continued use of therapy, I'll happily withdraw this criticism.

Cam was again the most powerful focus this ep.  He truly needs ongoing therapy.  Having supportive friends is great.  It just would not be enough.  If he comes through all this well, he could become quite something.  He's easy to root for, too.

I like Thea, but once a fierce athlete like her makes a more rounded life a priority, their performance suffers.  If you want to be an All American, unless you have unreal gifts, you can't have a life.  It would be fine, if not wise, for her to choose a balanced life.  However, with such a significant shift in identity, that will take time.  Selfishly, I love it when she eviscerates Simone.  But, if I care more for her as a person, I want her to make that transition.  Girl can sang???  I got the feeling that performance was tracked.

Loved when the dance teacher warned Keisha to not EVER mess with her again.  She could not have a first-year candidate think that she was on any kind of footing with her.  The acknowledgement that Keisha was right was excellent leadership.  So, too, re-asserting absolute dominance.

The Greek thing is an easy arc device for the writers to expand the show.  I am not looking forward to it.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I'm glad that Nate realized she was sacrificing too much of herself for the controlling and unsupportive Nico and decided to end things.  When she walked away, I was afraid that Nico was going to stop her and say something to change her mind, so I was relieved when Amara was there to hug her instead.  It was also nice to see that Thea and Nate still have a good relationship.  They hadn't let Thea be around the rest of the friends for quite a while.  (Even though they couldn't pay Cam or Keisha to be in this one.)

The guy from the tennis team who kept harassing Thea about cortisone shots and accusing her of not having enough drive is very annoying.  Thea already puts enough pressure on herself without having to bring in some random character to berate her. 

It's surprising that they've ended Amara and Zeke after only a few episodes without it really going anywhere, although the reason for the break-up does make sense.  Maybe they will explore it again later.

My station ran the local ad break too long and cut out most of a segment for the third time already.  I don't think they'd care if I contact them, so maybe I'd be better off just waiting for the show to air on demand!

Edited by KWalkerInc
Typed wrong name.
  • Love 1

I get Nico's pouting over being upstaged by Nate.  But, running out on an event HE ostensibly ran?  No way.  He would be dang sure to hang out to gather kudos and praise.  Turrible acting on top of this choice.

I got whiplash from the games between PKZ and Simone.  The bottom line is each was serving artifice and airs, and not "empowerment" or sisterhood.  Just awful, imo.  If Simone (or anyone for that matter) were all about virtue, they could not possibly choose to associate with those PKZ hyenas.  Of course, Simone is never about virtue, is she.  Oh...how is she supposed to cover the major expense of sorority membership, even if it is non-residential?  And let's just see how she maintains her role in the "family" she now claims to have.  If she goes Greek, and maintains a varsity athlete's routine?  Buh bye, y'all.

I am so over the J.R./Damon dynamic.  I am also over Damon being Superman.  This time, he could drink a ton of alcohol and not in the slightest be altered.  He goes right out and pitches masterfully to big bro.  Awful acting all around.

Amara was being absurd.  Dude came back to her place bursting with joy that he came to a realization that she was the most important thing to him.  She replies that he is not ready?????  That's telenovela stuff right there.  And he reacts like it ain't no thing?!  Ay yi yi.

I was not trusting Thea's evolution.  Girl was kidding herself.  Sadly.  Some more overacting, but the panic and fear of one whose entire self-image is disintegrating was no lie.  Damon was wonderful with her as he pointed her away from harming herself.  Given how popular he is, and of course the juice he still has with Simone (blecch), they are not long as a couple.

The artistry of the pride? exhibition was seriously shortchanged.  The dancers got, what, 30 seconds?   Nate's poem was about as long as a limerick?  For me, if you're gonna show this and it is a core value of the show to elevate a people, you just can't do this.  It's insulting, imo.

It sure seems like Marcus is gonna fall back into leading the baseball program.  Cured after one month!  Ugh.  Glad he is better, but c'mon.

Edited by Lonesome Rhodes
  • Like 1

Superman Damon needed advice about how to be a little brother from a high school kid! Jerry and Damon think Lando leaking a tape of Damon practicing at Hawkins is worse than Damon sneaking around practicing at Hawkins and abandoning his Bringston teammates. Damon practiced in broad daylight! He took Lando's spot at Bringston. Then he decided to transfer to Lando's school. Lando seems like a pretty straightforward dude. If he was behind the tape and Damon asked him, he'd likely acknowledge it. For all Damon's talk about Lando not being a good dude, Jerry said that the guys at Hawkins didn't have much good to say about Damon, either. The KEK brothers may have grown tired of Damon taking all the air out of the room if he'd proceeded with joining.  

Simone's mom may pay for the sorority expenses. The network may help Simone cultivate the type of career Simon's mother wants her to have. Simone can chat with JR about managing it all. He manages/managed a leadership role in his fraternity, became a star at a new baseball position, launched an investigation(with Simone) about the brother who disappeared while he was a toddler, and protects his peace with therapy. Plus he takes engineering classes and is navigating ho season with the help of his Ho Yoda! He even finds time to buy flowers for and talk to the grandparents of random girls!

It was great to see that Thea and Nate are still friends. Simone's experience with PKZ is better than Nate and Thea's experience with that other sorority. How interested was she really? Aqueela pursued Simone Damon showed her the flyer. Nate made sure Simone didn't skip out on the event where she was supposed to bring her resume and dress business casual. Thea had a point about the rest of the team not being that excited for Simone when they as individuals and as a team weren't playing particularly well.  Coach Loni needs to chat with Marcus to talk about building team morale! Or, even about actually showing up for the team. 

Perhaps Amara broke up with Zeke because she knows she has other options. Marcus, Ralph, and probably plenty of other thirty or forty-something dudes within a stones throw of Bringston would happily show up to a school event as her partner. 

• Love 3
On 11/22/2022 at 1:25 AM, KWalkerInc said:

My station ran the local ad break too long and cut out most of a segment for the third time already.  I don't think they'd care if I contact them, so maybe I'd be better off just waiting for the show to air on demand!

You can watch on the CW app/website. They don't require any log-ins.

I really can't stand Simone, so I could care less about most of her storylines (although I did enjoy bad bitch Simone, because she wasn't so damn needy). But hey, she got to one-up the mean girl from her team again. 

I need more Nate! So glad she got rid of Nico. Nico is happy to be with her, as long as she knows her place, keeps her mouth shut, and doesn't upstage him. The worst kind of partner. And again, no way Keisha would miss checking in with Nate. It sucks that they have to have episodes without some of the actors, but they can at least do things that would help be consistent with the characterization. It wouldn't have been hard to have a scene with Nate texting Keisha about the breakup, or even someone in the group messaging Keisha to reach out to Nate. 

• Love 2

Damon finally lives up to his reputation as a pitcher and then can't keep his composure at all when he's squeezed on a couple of pitches!  That's really an encouraging sign for his future as a likely professional.  At least it indirectly led to Marcus getting his job back.   Jesse is being much less of a jerk than before, but it will still take a lot to repair those relationships.

I've already been tired of Jordan and Layla since they dropped not-so-subtle hints about it I think over a year ago; I didn't need their storyline following me to another show!  I thought there was closure when Simone wished Jordan well in future relationships when he last appeared, so there was really no need to bring Layla on.  They made it seem like Simone was ending a friendship because it was too hard to see her with Jordan, but I never thought she and Layla were friends in the first place.  She hung out with Olivia some, not Layla.  When Simone was called to the office (where the coach is shown!), I thought she was going to be told she was out of the top 6 because of Thea coming back, even though she was the only one winning any matches.  At least the failed drug test storyline makes more sense.

I somehow forgot about Thea's cortisone shot until Damon accused her of acting weird.  I think she and Damon will get back together later.  Of course, the writers will probably have it happen right after acting like he is about to get together with Simone or something.

I'm glad J.R. and Gabby got together.  They're really cute.

Poor Nate vanishes without explanation again!  I don't think the show understands the concept of a "regular" character as opposed to recurring, but hopefully Rhoyle does get paid more for the appearances that do happen.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

This episode sold me on Damon and Simone. Even though I prefer Lando. JR said Damon takes up all the air in the room. Nessa and Thea talked about Damon talked about losing themselves while dating Damon. The writers are telling us that it has to be Simone. She's the center of their friend group. She could date Damon without losing herself. Or, maybe they just sold me on Simone. Damon can transfer to some school that never plays Bringston while Simone enjoys college life with her friends and Lando or some other dude(s). Or, she can just live her best single life. 

Damon finally showed us that he's who they told use he was on the baseball diamond. Of course Lando acknowledged leaking the tape when confronted. He also proved that he's every bit as good as Damon when given the opportunity. 

Yay for Gabby and JR. She could have taken JR's word for it that he's a relationship guy and saved time. Then Cam and Jesse wouldn't have figured out what was going on between them before JR did. Maybe she needed to time to figure out how she was going to deal with the "Hey JRs" if things progressed. 

• Love 2
18 hours ago, KWalkerInc said:

They made it seem like Simone was ending a friendship because it was too hard to see her with Jordan, but I never thought she and Layla were friends in the first place. 

Me shouting at the TV: "When in the hell were *they* friends?!?!?!"

• Applause 1
  • Love 2

Santiago, Santiago, Santiago. It's amazing that Lando and Damon managed to give up zero hits pitching to a catcher with no faith in his teammates.

They mentioned an actually pitching rotation. Somewhere in the background there are a couple of nameless dudes who aren't as good as Lando on two days rest.

Jesse and Marcus were good together. Jesse thought of how his job was negatively impacting his relationship with his sons. Marcus offered to buy Jesse a drink thinking that he'd lost his job to Jesse long term. Then, Jesse acknowledged that Marcus was a better fit for the team. Hopefully, Jesse won't need to drink in the dark at his next job. 

Someone or something other than Thea or Tootie could be behind Simon's positive drug test. Could be that the tester mislabeled Thea and Simone's tests. How did Rome pass his drug tests if he took seven cortisone shots? 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Late to the party.  Will Simone shade me for tardiness?

Really disliked this mid-season ender.

Gabby giving in to her feelings for J.R. was totally understandable, but I hate it for her.  She is the indisputably most sane and wise of the bunch.  I like her the most of all the characters.  Now, I'll bet a lot that she will not be as smaht.  TV folks have a way of losing their mind when they fall in looooooove with someone.

Layla's cameo was beyond absurd.  All I hear about is how special the HBCUs are and how focused the students are.  We get a girl's code crossover that has no actual basis?  Demeaning.  Then again, we're talking Simone, aren't we.

How long will they keep up the pretension of greatness in tennis for Thea and Simone?  Each are putting on pounds that they can't carry and neither is tearing up the conference, which is of itself, minor (just like the baseball program).  I do respect that Thea would be single-minded and unapproachable about her injury.  That is entirely within character.  But, the Damea couple?  Nuh uh.  Friends/benefits?  All day.  But, real love?  No way.  She is, no question, a tragic character and is true to the overall basis of the show (pressures on student athletes). 

Keisha as a dancer is similarly an issue.  I thought it was a very smart device to have her do choreo and not perform in the recent recovery "day."  They can mask her relatively poor skills as a soloist.  But, every time she is shown as part of the company (class)?  She is slow and lumbering.  Her passion is commendable.  But, she just does not have it.  I like who she is away from actual dance and I do root for her and Cam to work.    

It looks like they've already filmed the 2nd half eps.  I doubt the show gets picked up.  I want it to, but cost-cutting is the order of the day in CW-land.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

I was surprised that it turned out that Simone was accidentally guilty, rather than the typical plot of her having been set up.  It was funny when Thea decided to abandon any sort of nuance and just full-on confront Tootie.  I'm glad that Nate not only reappeared halfway through when it appeared she'd miss another episode, but now is involved in several storylines.  When Nico butted into Simone's conversation with Amara, I was like, "You're still here?"  Because of course he wouldn't just disappear because Nate dumped him, but it seems that way on shows, especially ones that are on a budget.

It's nice that they found a way to bring back the family dinners, just like was suggested upthread with Amara offering access to all students.  Thea wasn't at the dinner, was she?  That's obviously why she was still struggling at the end while everyone else seemed happy, ha ha.

I'm not sure Amara confronting Dr. Pace is going to help Keisha much.  Dr. Pace is tough, but I don't know that she really crossed the line toward being too much/abusive.  I guess they were saying that, although she didn't know that Keisha had sacrificed everything else for the class, she should care more and know what's going on with the students?  Of course Amara doesn't want Bringston to be a place that breaks people down, but she can't control what Keisha will encounter if she does try to make it as a dancer.

Damon as "The Sun" reminds me of what I've read about Grey's Anatomy, that the soon-to-depart lead character was called that, but the person calling her that meant it as a compliment!  Also a recurring joke I had with a guy in high school after I said a frustrating friend thought the Earth revolved around her (that she was The Sun and her BFFs "the planets").  Anyway, I thought that they were going to show what the baseball team was like with a docuseries, as there are ones about college baseball teams on ESPNU.  But the interview was quicker, I guess.  I wasn't really convinced by the swarm of reporters about a college baseball scandal anyway, not like if it were football or basketball.  But I guess it was all because of the power of Damon!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Typical TV claptrap with Bringston and HBCU's understandably pointing out lower ceilings and other obstacles IRL, but then whining on the flip side that being toughened and trained to be better as the underclass is too much.  Then, we are forever getting the "excellence" speech.  Sorry, not sorry.  As Rick Flair so eloquently put it:  You want to be the man, you've got to beat the man.  That's how it has always been in human history, with the various ethnicities immigrating to our country being no exception.  Railing against human nature is speaking truth.  But, to what end?

I thought sure it was Thea and that she was being brilliant by seeming to take point in helping Simone.  Oh, well.

Did anyone check the lyrics on the song being played at the celebration of the baseball team's big win?  My God, how misogynistic.  Choosing such a thing hugely diminishes the core value of the show.  I've little doubt it would be a popular choice amongst today's students.  That doesn't make it a good choice.

Goodness, but Simone is putting on some pounds.  She's supposed to be a high-level tennis player?  Really?  Thea is heading into similar territory.  Literally not a good look.

Keisha's arc seems the most real to me.  It's one thing to have a goal such as the one she has.  That's great.  But, when it is demonstrated that you just don't have it, it's time to re-assess.  It can be gut wrenching, for sure.  She might could make it as an instructor and choreographer, but she simply does not have the athleticism required for serious dance.  The acting was way over the top, unfortunately.  She was practically catatonic.  And a dinner would turn that around?  Ay yi yi.

I am not understanding how a worldwide invitation for dinners with the prez works.  Doesn't that necessarily dilute the power of the "family"?"  It really was telling that Thea chose to not show.  I fully agree that one of the messages TPTB was sending is that she will suffer for it.

The media interest in Bringston is way overwrought, as well.  In the Atlanta market, with all the pro leagues and the major college (Georgia Tech), to go along with huge interest in UGA, lower division schools would just not (and absolutely do not) get that attention.  Not even Damon.   Ol' Reggie Bush absolutely broke NCAA rules about accepting forbidden inducements at USC.  He lied and lied and lied about it.  Yet, he is presented as an example for all?  A victim????  Bad show.

If Bringston wants to make the principled argument that the structure of the NCAA is hopelessly flawed, it needs to end it's voluntary association.  I personally loathe the NCAA for other reasons, but  most all of its rules are plain as can be - including the use of THC, for whatever purpose.

The one character who has maintained a hero's journey throughout is Damon.  More than the others, he has stuck to a really tough path and has been uncommonly humble about it.  Sure, he has had his moments of tempestation.  Yet, through the end of this ep, he has stayed on the righteous side of his struggle when it counted most.  HE, is the example for the younger viewers to emulate.

I hope for a renewal, but the show needs new blood.  They have a real problem with Simone as the Alpha.  She is just not likable.  

• Like 2
On 1/24/2023 at 8:38 AM, Lonesome Rhodes said:

The media interest in Bringston is way overwrought, as well.  In the Atlanta market, with all the pro leagues and the major college (Georgia Tech), to go along with huge interest in UGA, lower division schools would just not (and absolutely do not) get that attention.  Not even Damon.   Ol' Reggie Bush absolutely broke NCAA rules about accepting forbidden inducements at USC.  He lied and lied and lied about it.  Yet, he is presented as an example for all?  A victim????  Bad show.

As the show was originally written, most of the media attention has always been about Damon, who was such a hotshot baseball prospect that he was supposed to go to either the pros or a really big-time school, and instead chose Bringston (someone with a better memory than mine can fill us in). Even this latest "scandal" seemed to be focused less on Bringston than on the fact that "lowly" Bringston managed to beat the school they weren't supposed to beat, and by the way, tell us again what Bringston had to do to get such a hot prospect to come there? They have to have done something shady, blah, blah, etc. 

Damon's surprise choice was definitely a worthy choice for media attention in the ATL, and elsewhere.  Just look at the attention Coach Prime (Sanders) generated by choosing to coach at an HBCU.  

My problem is that there would not be any follow-up, absent a scandal.  The consistent attention we have seen is fantasy.  An unremarkable tennis player gets busted for THC?  There would be dead silence.  They would never have chosen to independently follow-up on the irregular choice Damon made, either.  Maybe an Olivia (crossover!) would, but there would never be a swarm such as the one we saw. 

If Bringston really mattered, there would have been genuine investigation of the back and forth with the transfer/no-transfer silliness last year.  Heck, not even UGA baseball would get that type of coverage.  

• Like 2

I can't wait for Nate to beat Nico in the presidential election! And I hope that means we get more Nate screen time. I love her!

Oh look at Amara being a smart and innovative president by coming up with a solution to the family dinner issue 10 million years later. 

I'm loving this turn in storyline for Thea. What happens when someone who has been all in for a sport loses confidence in themselves/their ability? Hopefully the writers handle it decently.

• Like 4

I'm rewatching the series and just finished the episode where Damon goes to Chicago. The episode where we meet Gabby and Aqueelah. A lot happened in the first 8 episodes of this series. While I still prefer many of the supporting characters to the leads, I like Damon and Simone better on rewatch.

How old is Xavier supposed to be with this early onset dementia? Jesse graduated in 2002. Thea's mom is 42. Amara is almost 40. So most of the coaches, aunts, and parents are late thirties and early forties. Even if Xavier is several years older, he seems super young to have been diagnosed with Alzheimer's four years ago. 

The great Damon Sims gave up something like 5 runs in that alumni game to guys that don't necessarily. Even considering that recent no-hitter, it's hard to believe that he could be thriving in MLB if he wasn't at Bringston. What does Jesse do for a living that he can afford a divorce lawyer, pay for JR's car, accept a coaching job one day, and stop coaching a few weeks later?

Aqueelah's sorority, PKZ is the same sorority that Nate and Thea decided not to pledge. The sorority that wanted Nate so that they could appear inclusive and might have accepted Thea solely she was a legacy. The sorority that held an auction at a HBCU. Sure, Aqueelah told Nate and Thea that there was a new wave at PKZ that would have really appreciated the. But, why does Simone want to be part of that?

Have they ever explained why Keisha's last name is McCalla while her father is Dr. Allen? McCalla doesn't seem like it would be her Filipina mother's last name, either.

I'm also curious about Damon's legal name. He searched for adoption records for Damon Sims. There were none. Xavier's last name is Wilson. Jesse and Celine raised him for some period of time before Celine dropped him off on Xavier's doorstep. What did Celine name him and have put on his birth certificate? What paperwork did Xavier have to register Damon for school, get a social security card for tax purposes, etc.?

As far as this episode goes, Gabby kissed JR in front of any onlooking "hey JRs" and then wasn't at the after game party. After getting dumped, Damon drank more than we've ever seen him drink. Sorta like Jesse drinking in the dark after finding out Damon was his kid, and JR partying after the divorce announcement. 

I'm rooting for Cam on his KEK journey and Thea and Simone to continue being friendly. It could have been interesting to see Nate navigating his friendship with Thea while she was on the outs with Simone. 

This show raises so many questions. How could Damon have transferred and played for Hawkins, if the only reason that Lando could transfer and play was because Shaw did him dirty?

• Like 2

Land mines everywhere.  What's the correct path?  

I'm not down with the sacrifices demanded of the Greek candidates.  I don't care if a given house does good works.  Abusing the pledges as they did belies an underlying dark ethos.  Swearing a loyalty oath to such organizations inherently creates profound conflict with good.  Of course, this is catnip to showrunners and writers.

One piece of treachery that we saw play out was with the pledge who utterly screwed Simone over earlier in the process.  Yet, there they both were, on the LINE, where the bond of trust was the highest ethic.  The sisters went above and beyond trying to inculcate such a bond with all their "standards" and hazing.  For once, I was foursquare behind Simone as she chafed. 

Then, at the end, we get the rapprochement and all is good.  Puhlease. 

Damon was similarly right as he told his fool teammates they had to check themselves.  This is even more true with the coach refusing to lay down some truth.  For me, Damon was exhibiting fantastic leadership, the kind coaches talk endlessly about.  He spoke one of the most dear aphorisms in sport - it is not about winning - it's about the process of winning.  Ask Nick Saban.

Damon had an excellent last talk with his dad.  There was zero anger or recrimination.  Each delighted in the connection, limited as it was.  So, I'm not sure why the sudden passing would be a huge issue.  Damon had already said, and demonstrated that the prize was found in focusing on what lucidity there might could be.  He had decided to reach out with the trip to tell him he loved him (which he had already said in that phone call).  Point being:  No guilt is warranted.  Good on him.

Thea is such a mess.  It's fine that she is now heck-bent on pursuing therapy.  But, as we have seen, she is quick to freak out when some new problem arises.  She needs to get back to ferocity ASAP if she hopes to recapture anything like her previous tennis form.  If she actually gave up her professional dreams?  THAT, would lead to some major life progress.  It would finally allow room for a genuine romance, too.

How do cold pancakes in the cafeteria eliminate criticisms of nepotism and favoritism by Amara? 

Poor Nate.  She is running up against major headwinds within the community.  African-American males, as a group, are notorious for not accepting anything other than heterosexuality. (Does the show have the courage to show this?)  She is also up against a super slick Nico who basically has the campus wired already.  Methinks she needs some type of major scandal involving Nico to have a prayer of a chance.  

I wanted to see the healing Keisha.  TPTB were still heavily within the therapy arc and it would have been a nice piece to show. 

• Like 2

This is an article by a subsidiary of ESPN about the creation of women's gymnastics programs at HBCUs.  It outlines real-world difficulties (mainly economic) which this show has touched upon.  It also strikes an enthusiastic tone - just as this show does much of the time.  

I am now rooting hard for the success of this new initiative.  Congratulations to Fisk for being a pioneer.

https://andscape.com/features/were-the-majority-for-once-fisk-gymnasts-spark-joy-inspire-other-hbcus/

• Like 2

When Simone and Thea reached an understanding but there were still like 10 minutes left in the episode, I figured something would happen to fracture that by the end.  I still don't understand the strategy of "Let's play doubles like we're just still playing singles!" unless it was just so they wouldn't worry so much about it being different.  How shocking that they're both in the top 6.  Some girl we've seen like once probably loses her spot, as not likely it will be Tootie.

Now of course they ease the path for Damon to be accepting of Jesse, not only with his dad's letter, but with the revelation that Grandpa pushed Jesse to give up Damon.  (Although that doesn't just excuse Jesse, as he was a grown man.)  And now Gramps is all kissing up to Damon trying to get him to change his name and hoping to take advantage of his future earnings, besides his sexist and dismissive treatment of Gabby.  He is about as bad as Billy's dad was on All American at first.  Damon was probably going to eventually come around some on Jesse, without this convenient revelation.

If Amara picks Marcus over the not-usually-seen Zeke, Keisha is probably going to be pissed again after she had decided to be accepting of her dating her father.  Obviously Amara knows that, given the "Oh crap!" look she had on her face.  Until she invited her in, I thought she was going to stall because Marcus was still there.  (Actually, I also incorrectly thought Zeke was there when Marcus first showed up.)  It is realistic that Amara's interference with Dr. Pace backfired with things changing and everyone getting mad.  Although they probably could have found some compromise with the classes.

It is disconcerting that Keisha and Nate are supposed to be BFFs, yet are never there for each other when something important happens because the show can't afford to have them do more than alternate episodes.

• Like 2

The moral, as always, is that the grandpappys of black athletes are eeeeeevil.  Ay yi yi.  This dude was a caricature.  I fully agree that Damon was basically over Jesse's crap and was choosing to look at the imperfect love he gave Damon.  I found it weird that this bio-gramps was introduced in such clanky fashion.  Should have been at least a two-ep arc.

More Gabby, please.

Coach Loni is sagacious after all.  Who knew?  Of course she played it "mean," (dog eat dog world) not unlike Dr. Pace and faced zero official repercussions.  I love Pace creating the coddled environment that Amara demanded.  Do gooders can ruin so much.  Are there no super tough profs at that joint?

How very convenient for the Greek houses to lie down while the gang sorted through their issues.  Same for the baseball team, which never, ever, takes road trips.  

Amara's rudeness to Keisha was shocking.  You don't even let her in the door?!  Girl brings you a peace offering and you'd rather her just hold on to it, and then you hold on to it, without placing it down to remove a literal barrier as a really important conversation was happening?  Really?

I did love Amara going into the Board meeting blind as to the lay of the land.  Seems that the A.D. was not lying when he said they were all about having an athletic dorm.  Does she not reach out to take the temperature of her bosses when a major decision looms?  She would never last.  Maybe that's the plan.

We already had the peace talks between Simone and Thea when Thea needed coaching in relationships.  They came to the very same understandings, imo, that they arrived at in the escape room.  Very odd TV, imo.  The reveal that it was all a manipulation to get them both into the Top 6 was actually fun.  

No news is good news regarding cancellation?  

• Like 2

The show wore me down. I (temporarily) like Damon. After his talk with Jerry a few episodes back, Damon became a pretty decent younger brother. Even while grieving, Damon showed up for JR.

Jesse should let someone else help JR prep for tryouts. Marcus, weeks before a breakdown, knew where and how to move JR to highlight his strengths. Celine paid enough attention to JR's rise to remind him of his bucket list. Damon, the prodigy told Jesse ages ago, and again last night that JR is a talented center fielder. Cam, Santiago, or one of the random people holding a #17 sign that day Thea left the game in the second inning might all be more capable coaches than Jesse. Also, whether or not JR makes it to the majors, he needs to stay far, far away from the Raymond family business. 

Who knew Tootie could appropriately solve problems and improve team morale if she wanted to. Maybe she can console Lando while Damon and Simone figure out how they plan to proceed. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

At first I thought that JR and Nate, though well-intentioned, were kind of overstepping their bounds with Damon and Simone.  But when I thought about it more, I concluded that if they can be that easily steered away from being together just because friends and family voiced warnings/objections, they really don't want to be together that badly.  (Of course, it's really just the writers stalling because they think they will get more seasons and don't want them together now.)  I hope Thea won't decide she wants Damon back soon because then I'd just feel really bad for her.  If they decide to reunite, he'll hopefully be honest about Simone, even if he dismisses it as caused just by grief, because it would be hard to keep from Thea when everyone else seems to know. 

The previews showed a masquerade ball next week.  That could come in handy with their usual cast/character situations.  "Where is [Missing Character]?"  "Oh, probably over there behind a mask.  You can't miss them!"

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

Oddly enough, Nate's swift execution of Project Block Dimone suggests that she might have what it takes to be SGA President. Even though Simone and Damon saw Nate and JR reject Keisha and Gramp's relationship advice, Nate's plan worked. Let's be clear, Nate did all the heavy lifting. Without Nate's insistence that they had to take action and her easy to follow plan, JR would have been as successful at preventing Damon from telling Simone that she was the one as he was at convincing Julian that they should change the pledge process.

The thing is, Nate and JR's arguments weren't particularly strong. Each person in the group is close to some members and not to others. So what if Keisha and JR or Nate and Cam never share a meal again. Simone can still be friends with Keisha and Nate. Nate's relationships with JR and Thea seem to be fairly solid.  Cam is Damon's roommate.  Sophomore year he might live at the KEK house with JR. JR and Damon are brothers and teammates. They don't need to be a group to maintain relationships with the people that they are closest to in the group. Especially since they all have other groups or teams. Basically,  @KWalkerInc is right. Simone and Damon don't want to be together that badly. Or, maybe after he finds out that Coach Marcus was able to get Auntie President to chose him over handsome Zeke with the mansion, Damon will seek out the right person for advice!

Julian is supposed to be the bad guy. But, JR's leadership is lacking. Instead of talking to Julian privately and making the case for changing the process, JR attempted to undermine Julian's leadership by telling him that things were changing in front of the line. Even when Julian went to talk to JR, JR refused to have a conversation with Julian to explain why he thought things should change. In front of the pledges, Julian and JR should be a team, not adversaries. 

JR wants to protect Cam because of the aneurysm. Cam's problem was that being treated differently from his frat brothers is impacting his ability to bond with them. Gabby wants to date a guy who influences his fraternity to bond though positivity. Julian, Cam's musical theater partner may or may not care about Cam's aneurysm and isn't ready to abandon the old ways. Did JR consult his therapist at the KEK center about his approach at all? Surely a mental health clinician who went though the process might offer JR better advice about how to proceed.

Gramps was wrong about many things. But, his assertion that Gabby and JR aren't a good fit is arguably true. Gabby is JR's TA. After he told her he was a relationship guy, she pushed him into hooking up with groupies and to be less nice to girls who thought he was a nice guy. At her suggestion, JR is trying to change the culture of an organization older than his grandfather. Even if she's right that the organization should be changed, JR isn't up for the task. He's ruining his relationship with Julian, someone who was his line brother. To be clear JR choose to embrace hoe season, date Gabby, and ruing his relationship with Julian. Still, Grandpa wasn't all wrong. 

• Like 2

What a weak ep this was.

THE biggest tension of the series was signaled on Day One:  Simone and Damon.  Will they ever come to realize they are fated to be with each other?  That's it.  

I do wonder if it was a better move to not have them connect now.  It may have brought better draaaaama if they did connect.  Then, if there is a next season, we could have a break-up.  Wouldn't that bring more juice?

One of my favorite movies is The Longest Day, which is a star-studded enactment of the Normandy invasion in WW II.  Well, I think we just got The Longest Night.  Simone first had the "research" to perform once she got her topic and Damon created a serious presentation with moving graphics.  All after sunset.  Of course, they were each already exhausted from the goings on of that day, and of their pursuits (house and baseball).  Suspension of disbelief?  Nah.  TPTB are requiring us to suspend the universal laws of physics.

And no, Nate would not automatically pick up all the non-support for Nico indicated in the poll.  Yes, his chances definitely improved.  But not to the tune of a statistical dead heat.

If you were either of the profs in question, would you agree to accept and review these projects after, say, 10 P.M.?  

I did not understand Marcus suspending Damon until his "grades" improved.  Well, there are no changes to "grades" with the Registrar after mid-terms.  Damon was effectively suspended until the publishing of the final class grade.  Stupid.  By the way, how many games and matches have our intrepid heroes played in lately?  That would be...carry the one...ZERO.  

• Like 1

My favorite things about this episode:

1. All the Nate face time! She is awesome and I'm hoping that when she becomes president we'll get to see the character more. 

2. Every one being like "fuck Damon and Simone. Let's end that shit right now before it even gets started!" LMAO! They know what we all know - that as soon as anything goes wrong Simone will be a pain in the ass to everybody all the time.

3. Damon is hot AND kinda smart. (I'm shallow.)

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

So timeline is the same and Simone goes to a big dance and just leaves Jordan a voicemail? After all they did for her? He was her father-in-law.

Thea deserves better, not interested in Damon/Simone romance.

• Like 1

Simone getting called out for the empty shell she is was delish.  I am here for it!

I've liked Thea from the jump.  They've taken too many fundamental hairpin turns with her, though.  Someone in her position in life would simply not be able to make good decisions.  She has made, what, three?  four? quit/not quit or hold it all in/let it all hang out calls?  That's neuroses, imo.  

Love, love, love Dr. Pace.  Amara gave her the shaft, but Pace keeps on keepin' on.  No apologies.  She's right, too.  If Keisha ever amounts to anything, the toughening she is experiencing will have been an essential tool. 

Not a whisper about the campaign.  An obvious chance to give us hope that she might could win whilst she was taking over the dance floor was blown.  

No matches or games.  Again.  I did like the young lady who was a serious baseball/Damon fan.  My kind of gal.

• Like 1