Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E04: Control

• Start Topic

After the Trust uses Paul to strike back against Marcus, Mother confronts the Trust and threatens a coup. Meanwhile, on the run from Mother, Marcus has to keep his followers from losing faith as his powers suddenly disappear.

Original Airdate: Thursday, February 17, 2022
D60E94AA-CA84-448B-96C4-C2116EDAAA57.jpg
E017AAE6-56C0-4D44-B823-60D009BEEA5F.jpg
25CBC48B-B25F-4626-9A51-782C359E7CDC.jpg

• Love 1

I can't believe Holly was going to just let Campion get taken against his will.  I'm not sure why he has loyalty to those Mithraic kids.  I figured the being that saved him was the new android, but he was quick to name it a miracle. I don't really have sympathy for Paul either - he just hated his fake Mother because she was an atheist and not because she killed his mother?! That's crazy.

I felt bad for Decima's robot.  Slicing her face off was really extreme.  I wonder how Decima can feel the difference between prophet Marcus and real Marcus.

Since Mother's eyes gave Marcus his abilities and the new robot shines, I wonder if the show is going for the concept that robots are gods and Mithraic's are wrong to believe in Sol?

Edited by peridot
  • Love 4

I find Paul to be a sour child with a Messiah complex; maybe he'll be different if he survives.

1 hour ago, peridot said:

I wonder how Decima can feel the difference between prophet Marcus and real Marcus.

Besides the fact that the face markings are gone, he is visibly less self-assured than before. Less swagger, more doubt.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, peridot said:

Since Mother's eyes gave Marcus his abilities and the new robot shines, I wonder if the show is going for the concept that robots are gods and Mithraic's are wrong to believe in Sol?

I wouldn't say wrong, but I think this shows that nothing is as it seems, that what one knows/learns "as gospel" is not what the reality is/was....

This  show is very daring when it comes to religion vs. science, which is something I really like about it

So, from what I am guessing, the new android is a necromancer or something like it? That humans originated here, worshiped this being as "Sol" but then something happened to destroy everything and the humans went to Earth? And now it is full circle.....

I'm more confused what is going on with Paul, he is definitely cocooned in something and...

Spoiler

Next week's preview makes it looks like he is evolving into something.....

So is the Trust coming back? Will Mother turn him on again? I can't imagine the Atheists are going to join Marcus.....

• Love 3

Good episode, with some developments, plot movement, and answers.

That being said, I still have no clue where it's going or what point(s) they're trying to make. It's all a thinly-veiled juxtaposition of religion vs. technology.

And I hate it when showrunners use bad filters to make "fake nighttime".  Half the episode looked cheap.

• Love 2

It's all a thinly-veiled juxtaposition of religion vs. technology.

It's all very muddled, and I take the point it can be in real life as well, but it seems odd to be pro interstellar space travel but anti android? I feel like the Mythraic aren't anti-robot but more that they are necessary evil and they object more to technology taking the face of "man" or humanity.  

It's also clear that while Marcus and his ex were "atheists" there were a  lot of poor (literally) people caught up in the fight who had no true allegiance to any ideology, them included and it's hard to say how much of Marcus' turnabout is real or just about him feeling important for the first time in his life, and I feel like we are for sure meant to think he really was hearing a voice as was Paul.

I am really enjoying this season though even more than the first despite the religious political muddle, and I like that we are seeing Father and Campion each feeling like there should be "more" than just the program of their life. Mother continues to be a delightful and mostly benevolent dictator. And I am so glad she has her eyes back because I do not tire of the image of her floating about like a bad ass Mom Bomb. 

• Love 6

I am thrilled that arrogant sociopath Marcus has lost his stolen mojo. As a reluctant atheist myself, the sanctimonious bloodthirsty crusader-type makes my skin crawl. That said, the Atheists here are humorless, rigid automatons, so nothing makes me happier than to see Mother kicking ass and taking names. My favorite characters are Mother and Father; I'd be very happy with them exploring and living against the elements with a couple of the kids. (So essentially the first few eps of S1.) More of the acid ocean, creepy fanged proto-humans, and beautiful flora, please!

• Love 3