Type keyword(s) to search

Reclaiming the Throne: Queens in the Media

• Start Topic

QUEENS (Tuesdays, 10:00 p.m. ET)     Date: TBA      ABC’s fall TV schedule for the 2021-2022 season

1600x900-Q90_5562b3962c8f2b7279f04177b15

“Queens” stars Eve as Brianna aka Professor Sex, Naturi Naughton as Jill aka Da Thrill, Nadine Velazquez as Valeria aka Butter Pecan, Taylor Selé as Eric Jones, Pepi Sonuga as Lil Muffin and Brandy Norwood as Naomi aka Xplicit Lyrics.

Estranged and out-of-touch, four women in their 40s reunite for a chance to recapture their fame and regain the swagger they had as the Nasty Bitches – their ’90s group that made them legends in the hip-hop world.

Jill (Naturi Naughton) aka Da Thrill, a founding member of the Nasty Bitches - the group she formed with her high school friends. Da Thrill lived fast, had rugged rhymes and a troubling drug habit. Today, Jill couldn’t be more put together. She’s a devout Catholic living a quiet life in Montana with her husband. But everything isn’t as idyllic as it seems. Jill is haunted by past secrets. The Nasty Bitches reuniting allows Jill to escape her issues at home, but returning to her persona as Da Thrill conjures up difficult memories. But a friendship with a young rapper that she has almost nothing in common with will hilariously help Jill figure out the person she needs to be.

Better known in the 90s as Puerto Rican rapper, Butter Pecan, Valeria (Nadine Velazquez) is the fourth member of the hip-hop group, the Nasty Bitches. Valeria wasn’t an original member, added by the groups’ manager, Eric, for her effortless star quality. It worked. The ladies catapulted into superstardom with a number-one record and iconic video. Valeria quickly became the face of the group, ruffling the other members’ feathers along the way. But she could care less. She’s not here for friends, she’s here to win. Valeria is an ambitious and ruthless hustler with cunning charm born out of a difficult childhood. When we catch up with her twenty years later, she’s the only member of the group still in the limelight. Valeria hosts The Shade - America’s top-rated morning talk show. So, Valeria has no reason to reunite with the group when the opportunity arises. However, when her blind ambition trips her up, Valeria considers turning back to the only family she’s ever had: the Nasty Bitches.

Twenty years ago, Brianna (Eve) was Professor Sex — one fourth of the Nasty Bitches — rapping about money, sex and her all-around glamorous lifestyle. Today, Brianna is a proud wife and mother of five in a stained sweatsuit who barely has a second to breathe. Not glamorous, but Brianna loves her life. The Nasty Bitches are a distant, distant memory. But when an opportunity arises for the group to reunite, Brianna will grapple with whether or not she still has the swagger and confidence that made her an icon decades ago.

Twenty years ago, Naomi (Brandy) was better known as Xplicit Lyrics — the highly skilled musical engine of the Nasty Bitches. A true artist with boundless musical talent — Naomi was certain she’d go on to mainstream success after the group’s demise. She hasn’t, singing and playing her guitar in crappy dive bars where all people want is her old persona. When the group gets back together, Naomi is reunited with the only man she ever loved, and the rival bandmate who stole that man from her. But what Naomi wants more than anything is to build a relationship with the daughter she was never really there for - if she only knew how.

In the late 90s, Eric Jones (Taylor Selé) struck gold when the group he managed, the Nasty Bitches, reached the pinnacle of hip-hop. A Queens hustler through and through, Eric is always looking for how to secure his next bag, and he’s really good at it. A handsome playboy with a magnetic smile, Eric’s dalliances with women were partly to blame for the Nasty Bitches’ break up. Today, Eric remains one of the top music managers in the business, representing hip-hop’s current “it girl,” Lil Muffin (Sonuga). But Eric is in the throes of mid-life crisis as he takes stock of his life, past mistakes and the woman that got away. Driven by nostalgia, Eric sets the wheels in motion for the Nasty Bitches’ reunion. The question is: will he find what he’s looking for?

“Lil Muffin” aka Lauren Rice (Pepi Sonuga), a sweet young woman from Atlanta. But she’s better known as Lil Muffin, a brash, colorful emcee. Ever since her debut record, Candy Cane, dropped — Muffin has been on a nonstop rocket ship to superstardom. She is hip-hop’s it girl with legions of fans, piles of cash, wild style and access to everything under the sun. What Muffin doesn’t have is control of her career and her image, both of which are being masterminded by a cadre of men who care more about keeping the gravy train rolling than Muffin’s well-being. The pressure of fame is taking its toll. But Muffin unexpectedly finds the support she needs and the sisterhood she craves when she links up with the Nasty Bitches — a group of women who know exactly what she’s going through because they lived it themselves 20  years ago.

Zahir McGhee, Sabrina Wind and Tim Story are executive producers. The series is produced by ABC Signature, a part of Disney Television Studios. The pilot episode is written by Zahir McGhee and directed by Tim Story.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

‘Queens’: Precious Way Joins ABC’s Musical Drama Series As Recurring

Precious-Way-ABC2.jpg?w=681&h=383&crop=1

Precious Way will have a recurring role playing Jojo, Naomi’s (Brandy), 20-year-old, estranged daughter, who has been living with her grandmother while Naomi has been chasing after her elusive lost fame. Bitterly resentful of her absentee mother, JoJo has written Naomi off for good, and tells her so in no uncertain terms. But when Naomi invites her to attend her comeback at one of the award shows, JoJo is dazzled by this side of her mother, a new perception of Naomi that may spark their reconciliation.

• Love 2

@AnimeMania thank you for sharing all of these clips. I just saw the trailer as a YouTube ad and I am excited for this one. I liked Nautri's work on Power, I had been wondering what Brandy had been up to these days (she looks AMAZING by the way!). I loved loved Brandy when I was a girl, I had my hair in braids just like hers when she was on Moesha. This should be a pretty good show if they focus on the women's friendships and how they have grown since their youth. 

If you are having trouble remembering whether you like Queens music enough to be excited about their comeback, here is one of their Music Videos from 1999.

Nasty Girl by Queens (Professor Sex, Da Thrill, Butter Pecan, and Xplicit Lyrics)

• Love 1

Eve To Take Break From ABC’s ‘Queens’ After Pregnancy Announcement

Queens star Eve is going on a maternity leave as she is preparing for the birth of her first child in February 2022. Eve has been filming additional scenes before her maternity leave so that she can return to the UK, where she lives, to be with her family. As a result, Eve will be in the majority of Queens‘ 13-episode first season. Eve's storyline will be open-ended in case she decides not to return for Season 2.

• Useful 2
12 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Eve To Take Break From ABC’s ‘Queens’ After Pregnancy Announcement

Queens star Eve is going on a maternity leave as she is preparing for the birth of her first child in February 2022. Eve has been filming additional scenes before her maternity leave so that she can return to the UK, where she lives, to be with her family. As a result, Eve will be in the majority of Queens‘ 13-episode first season. Eve's storyline will be open-ended in case she decides not to return for Season 2.

Awwww. Of course she has to do what she has to do for the well being of herself and her family, but I do hope she comes back for Season 2. I love her character. 

Given the character of Brianna has children, maybe they could write around her being off screen dealing with a family matter. 

• Love 3

Queens Recruits Friday Night Lights' Gaius Charles to Romance...

Charles will play Thomas, a recording/sound engineer who’s smart and charming. He’s got a wealth of experience and is super professional… at first. Eventually, he just might develop a taste for some Butter Pecan — by which we mean he’ll become very interested in Nadine Velazquez’s Valeria. (No word on how that will affect whatever is going on between Valeria and Eric.)

Charles first will appear in Episode 9, and he will show up in at least two more Season 1 episodes.

Edited by milkyaqua
9 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

MV5BMmMzNTMyMzUtY2Q1NS00NTZkLTk0MTYtMTAy

Queens adds a recurring role for José Moreno Brooks, who will play Rodrigo, the gorgeous, sexy, and the most in-demand music video director currently working.

Love interest for Naomi maybe? He is handsome. 

To celebrate Live in Front of a Studio Audience where stars who are going live to show their love for two classic sitcoms. "The Facts of Life" reenactment stars Jennifer Aniston as Blair, Gabrielle Union as Tootie, Allison Tolman as Natalie, Kathryn Hahn as Jo, Jon Stewart in a mystery role, and Ann Dowd as Mrs. Garrett. Dowd's Mrs. Garrett pulls double-duty tonight, also appearing in a reenactment of an episode of "Diff'rent Strokes," joining John Lithgow's Mr. Drummond, Kevin Hart's Arnold, and Damon Wayans's Willis for the performance. ABC has released a number of 80s Retro TV Ads to Honor the "Live" Broadcast.

• Love 1

Queens Boss Lays Out Eve's Future With the Show, Talks Shooter Reveal

TVLINE | When news of her pregnancy broke, I remember thinking, “Hmm… maybe Brianna is going to get shot.”

Number one, kudos to [Eve]. None of this would have been possible without her. She and the production worked so insanely hard. We stopped everything to shoot as much of the season that we had done with her already, and that’s a testament to her other castmates. That’s a testament to her and the hard work that she put in, her commitment to the show, and our crew that worked tirelessly to, basically, throw everything out of order. And our directors, too, coming in for two days to shoot something in their episode that they weren’t going to come back and shoot for six weeks. And our producing director, Crystle [Roberson].

TVLINE | What can you tell us about Eve’s involvement in the rest of the season?

I am loathe to give it away, because it gives away a little bit of the story going forward, how much of the show we actually shot. I will say this: We have definitely shot more than you’ve seen of Eve. But I will say that with this caveat: LIke a show like This Is Us, our show exists in a past timeline of 20 years ago. There’s also 20 years intervening in the middle that we have not explored at all. So even if Eve[‘s character] died in Episode 8, she could be in 100 more episodes of the show. It would totally make sense. So I say that we’re definitely not done with Eve and her story, and I say that without saying definitively whether she lives or dies.

On 12/15/2021 at 9:20 AM, milkyaqua said:

Queens Boss Lays Out Eve's Future With the Show, Talks Shooter Reveal

We have definitely shot more than you’ve seen of Eve. But I will say that with this caveat: LIke a show like This Is Us, our show exists in a past timeline of 20 years ago. There’s also 20 years intervening in the middle that we have not explored at all. So even if Eve[‘s character] died in Episode 8, she could be in 100 more episodes of the show. It would totally make sense. So I say that we’re definitely not done with Eve and her story, and I say that without saying definitively whether she lives or dies.

That sounds so not interesting to me. The show really doesn't exist 20 years ago, the show is about them trying to make a comeback today. They may show things that happened 20 years ago, but that's not what the show is about. I would rather they either get rid of Brianna, or recast her than try this kind of workaround.

• Love 2

Queens Finale: EP Zahir McGhee and Brandy on Pulling Off Eve's Big Moment — and What It Could Mean for Season 2

TVLINE | What can you tell me about Eve’s involvement in the show next season?

MCGHEE | She’s she’s a huge part of the episode. I’m really proud that we were able to keep her as part of the group and in the minds of the group at the end of [Episode] 12 and all through [Episode] 13. I hope people feel her presence…

…We know there’s someone under that fourth spotlight, and who is it?!, right? Obviously, myself and the fans hope that it’s Eve. But for me, in terms of what’s going on in her life — I talked to her just a couple of days ago — I just want her to enjoy this time.

I know she’s super proud of the show, I know she’s watching. And the show is obviously better with her. So, we’re definitely hopeful that she’s going to come back. But it’s not something I ask her about, because what’s she’s going through right now is just way more important, and we want to give her that time and that space.

TVLINE | How did you get the footage of her? Did she shoot it herself?
This is the shocking thing: This took longer than one of our six-person, round-robin scenes in a tight space. [Laughs] So, we did what we have been doing for our press [engagements], basically, which is people send us these elaborate camera kits, we set them up ourselves, and we talk someone through it. So we sent her that. You know we figured she would probably enjoy getting glammed up — which apparently she did [Laughs] — and then we got on a Zoom. [We] were on Zoom with her for about two hours going through it, giving us some different choices, giving us some different options. So, she shot that in her home, which obviously doesn’t quite look like Costa Rica, but people just have to deal with it. [Laughs]

• Love 2
On 5/6/2022 at 7:23 PM, milkyaqua said:

I’m not surprised- this had the potential to be really good and the women are so talented, but between the lack of promotion, Eve departing for maternity leave- it’s hard for network programing these days. It might have done well on streaming. 

• Love 3