Type keyword(s) to search

College Basketball

xaxat
  • Start Topic

11 hours ago, twoods said:

That poor kid looked like he was having a nervous breakdown and the camera person was so obsessed with him. Was he the coach's son? 

He is the son of the NW Athletic Director.

JD and her husband Brad Hall (who is an actor, director, writer, producer) met at Northwestern and their son Charlie is on a Sophomore who has been riding the bench for two years and never scored a point. 

9 hours ago, WichitaStateShock said:

Why can't you win a title at Wichita State? I'd say with WSU's success in the past 7 years we could win a title just as easy as Indiana. There is a reason we are now a household name and teams are pissed when they pull us.

Underwood from okie state to Illinois is an odd lateral move. Heard the AD at osu is toxic.

I am not saying you can't, just historically its harder to win a title at schools in a mid major conference than at a major conference school, whether it be Indiana or any other Big Ten, ACC, Pac Ten, etc school.  The number are overwhelming in terms of the conference winning NCAA championships in basketball historically 

1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I am not saying you can't, just historically its harder to win a title at schools in a mid major conference than at a major conference school, whether it be Indiana or any other Big Ten, ACC, Pac Ten, etc school.  The number are overwhelming in terms of the conference winning NCAA championships in basketball historically 

Maybe in the past but I see that changing. Villa won last year and they techincally are not P5. There are only 5 schools that have won at least 1 game in the past 5 tourneys. They are KU, UNC, Oregon, Gonzaga and Wichita State. So most P5 schools, including some blue bloods, aren't doing as well as Wichita State has.

Edited by WichitaStateShock

Also at tournament time, I believe teams that keep and develop players get rewarded.  Frank Kaminsky is a prime example.  As a Badger fan, I can tell you when he was a freshman and a sophomore, there was some questions about  devoting a scholarship to him, a guy who couldn't seem to get out of his own way.  And then after a couple years in the program, as a junior he's first team all Big Ten, and scoring 28 pts against #1 Arizona to help get the Badgers to the Final Four, and in his senior year, he wins the Naismith and Wooden awards, gets Wisconsin to another Final Four, and is drafted in the 1st round.   And the entire time, being amusing as hell!  As a fan, it's a really satisfying experience watching these kids realize their full potential, and it reaffirms your faith in the coaches, who saw something in the guy and worked with him to make it happen.  To me, that's what college is supposed to be about, growing as a person in a lot of ways, and I like knowing my school is not going to be a one-and-done type of program. 

• Love 2

I think the only reason Villanova would be considered not P5 is because the Big East basically disbanded and reformed?

I have no idea what happened to my brackets because I forgot to make copies (my friend still does paper) but today I was all about that Wolverine life.  Bye Louisville!

It amusing that the Best Conference in the Country only has two teams left in the Dance and that's only because they haven't played yet.

Power 5 is a football conference designation. The line between power and non-power is a bit different when it comes to baskeball, but Wichita is in the Missouri Valley, definitely a non-power conference.  This year the NCAA trended toward screwing over midmajor teams in conferences like the MVC. If that trend continues, that's when you may see coaches like Marshall and Mark Few at Gonzaga leaving their programs for high majors. I mean people said Chris Petersen would never leave Boise (he loves the area, his kids are in school, round up the usual factors, etc., etc.) and now look. It just takes the right job and the right situation. Basketball-wise, Indiana is an attractive job mostly because recruiting doesn't take much effort (or shouldn't if you're not a complete fuckup). 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Minneapple said:

Power 5 is a football conference designation. The line between power and non-power is a bit different when it comes to baskeball, but Wichita is in the Missouri Valley, definitely a non-power conference.  This year the NCAA trended toward screwing over midmajor teams in conferences like the MVC. If that trend continues, that's when you may see coaches like Marshall and Mark Few at Gonzaga leaving their programs for high majors. I mean people said Chris Petersen would never leave Boise (he loves the area, his kids are in school, round up the usual factors, etc., etc.) and now look. It just takes the right job and the right situation. Basketball-wise, Indiana is an attractive job mostly because recruiting doesn't take much effort (or shouldn't if you're not a complete fuckup). 

All true, but they also screwed over the Big Ten it seems based on the results so far.

Big Ten has knocked off a #1 as an 8th seed (and the #1 overall team), a #2 as a 7 seed and NW gave another #1 seed all the could handle, plus Purdue made the Sweet Sixteen.  Now playing is Mich State against another #1 seed. 

The idea the Big Ten was having at least as down of a year as complained has been disbunked, had pretty much the whole league seeded wrong. 

5 hours ago, WichitaStateShock said:

Maybe in the past but I see that changing. Villa won last year and they techincally are not P5. There are only 5 schools that have won at least 1 game in the past 5 tourneys. They are KU, UNC, Oregon, Gonzaga and Wichita State. So most P5 schools, including some blue bloods, aren't doing as well as Wichita State has.

I am not talking about just winning one game though, but winning the whole tournament. 

I certainly believe Wichita state could follow the example of Gonzaga and become a perennial top 10-20 team.  But that is the perfect example, they also never won a title despite all those chances in the last 20 years or so. 

And as pointed out by someone else, I would not put Villanova in their, they were in the Big East until recently, but even if you do count them as one example last year, its still mostly power conference schools that win the titles and make up the majority of the Final Four teams as well. 

Of course it COULD change, but you are fighting history and economics for that to happen.  The athletic departments, due to mostly TV money, have much more money at the major conference schools.  The major conference schools often have 4-5 times more money to spend than the so called mid majors.

1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I am not talking about just winning one game though, but winning the whole tournament. 

I certainly believe Wichita state could follow the example of Gonzaga and become a perennial top 10-20 team.  But that is the perfect example, they also never won a title despite all those chances in the last 20 years or so. 

And as pointed out by someone else, I would not put Villanova in their, they were in the Big East until recently, but even if you do count them as one example last year, its still mostly power conference schools that win the titles and make up the majority of the Final Four teams as well. 

Of course it COULD change, but you are fighting history and economics for that to happen.  The athletic departments, due to mostly TV money, have much more money at the major conference schools.  The major conference schools often have 4-5 times more money to spend than the so called mid majors.

Except Wichita State... please go look at our budget and see how many P5 schools use as much money and make as much as us. Marshall is thd 9th highest  paid coach in that nation. We are actively trying to change conferences. point blank, it will take Kentucky, Duke, or UNC to for Marshall to leave (ucla has already knocked once fyi and he turned them down).

2 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

All true, but they also screwed over the Big Ten it seems based on the results so far.

You could argue about Wisconsin and Michigan being screwed, but Minnesota and Maryland were overseeded and that doesn't fit with the "Big Ten was screwed" theory.

• Love 1

I'm a Michigan alum and don't think they were screwed at all. They were at risk of not even making the tournament in late February. 

PS: I hate Duke so much, I hope they lose this game

Edited by AndreaK1041
35 minutes ago, AndreaK1041 said:

I'm a Michigan alum and don't think they were screwed at all. They were at risk of not even making the tournament in late February. 

PS: I hate Duke so much, I hope they lose this game

I can't stand Duke either.  I'm laughing my ass off at their disbelief that fouls can be called on them.  Usually there's that special rule for Duke in the tournament, after all.  I'm also laughing at all those people that thought Villanova's loss made Duke's path to the Final Four so much easier.  Perhaps the Dukies listened to all that too much.  Now let's hope Allen doesn't trip someone in the handshake line. 

It absolutely KILLS me that North Carolina is the last ACC team standing.  KILLS ME.  God I hope they lose on Friday.

Also the tourney committee is a bunch of losers for putting a seven seed in the pod that plays basically in their backyard.

I'm super salty.  I don't think I'll get over this one any time soon as I watch Tatum sail off into the NBA.

52 minutes ago, AndreaK1041 said:

Michigan won the Big Ten tournament! That alone should have bumped them up at least one or two seed lines. 

HAWHAWHAW DUKE LOST. Grayson Allen is a douche. Try tripping Draymond Green next year and see how that goes.

Oh, and the East region just opened up. IT'S A GOOD DAY.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Minneapple said:

Michigan won the Big Ten tournament! That alone should have bumped them up at least one or two seed lines. 

HAWHAWHAW DUKE LOST. Grayson Allen is a douche. Try tripping Draymond Green next year and see how that goes.

Oh, and the East region just opened up. IT'S A GOOD DAY.

Isn't Allen a junior?  Is he expected to leave for the draft?  What NBA team wants him?  He's either an a-hole, or is a troubled person with serious anger management and impulse control issues.  Seems to me the best thing he could do is stay at Duke and try to get through an entire season without tripping someone, try to demonstrate some maturity. 

Allen should have gone pro last year when everyone expected him to be a lottery pick. He's pretty much guaranteed to leave for the NBA this year but his stock has dropped a lot. I guess he could stay, but then he'd also be risking injury. Or more likely he'd be risking injury on another player by, you know, tripping them. 

I never thought it was possible for fans to hate a Duke player more than Christian Laettner. 

Then along comes Grayson Allen. 

Also glad they lost. 

In general the NCAA tournament seeding I think was all screwed up this year.  This tournament accounts for 80-90% of the revenue for the NCAA.  It's their cash cow.  They could not survive without it (which some would argue would be a good thing)  And considering that, its amazing how poor the seeding and officiating has been this year. 

I agree about the officiating - it has been very, very uneven.  Some examples from the Wisconsin/VIllanova game - Ethan Happ and a Nova player both going for a rebound.  The official about 2 feet away calls a held ball.  Another official runs across the court and calls a foul on Happ.  What?  The guy right there didn't have a better look?  Another play - Happ gets the defensive rebound, throws down to Showalter who is breaking away.  Showy makes the layup, and then is taken down by the trailing Nova player.  No foul.  Showy gets up, gives the official a look with hands on his hips, he and a Nova player bump chests, the ball goes down the court and a foul is called on Showalter.  Maybe frustration on Showy's part, but I think the officials didn't like the look of disbelief from him about the no call at the other end. 

The officiating has been horrendous, and I'm talking about all games, not just the one I'm still angry about.  I was so pissed last night that I couldn't even go to sleep after, I finished a book and then went to bed at midnight.

I WAS going to root for Michigan and Wisconsin, but now I don't know because ya'll hurt my feelings.

Also I tend to be a poisonous jinx when rooting for teams I normally don't so I probably should refrain anyways.

I never thought it was possible for fans to hate a Duke player more than Christian Laettner. 

Then along comes Grayson Allen. 

Though fans will eventually go back to hating Laettner more since several will forget Grayson existed.  Unless Allen does well going forward, but I think the total hate will drift back to Christian in the long-run

Unfortunately for those schools the chance of having the same men's and women's champ probably has a .000000000001% chance of happening since the UConn men aren't in it.

Dammitall Frank Martin sounds really likable and personable so I can't hate him even though I want to.

Edited by mojoween

This time of year I have a tendency to look at videos from past tournament upsets, buzzer beaters, etc. and the clip from 2015 with Georgia State coach Ron Hunter falling off of his stool (he was in a cast due to torn ligaments in his foot, I believe) when his son hit the deep three pointer to upset Baylor never gets old.

• Love 5

Last year - Bronson Koenig hits the 3 as time expires to beat Xavier and send Wisconsin to the Sweet 16.  Always will be remembered for the shot of a stunned Bill Murray in the stands. 

Not a tournament game, but my all-time favorite involving Wisconsin was a game against Michiga, played at the Kohl Center in Madison..  Michigan hit a 3 to take a 3 point lead; with 2.4 seconds on the clock, Badgers inbound the ball to Ben Brust, who heaved it in from just past mid court to tie the game, and the Badgers went on to win the game in overtime.  A shot like that is the basketball Hail Mary!

I understand that West Virginia had a terrible final possession and the memes are funny, even if I was rooting for the tie and OT at the end, but so far I have not heard one analyst mention that Gonzaga's defense was really well executed on that last play.

I've never been a Bob Huggins fan but there's no way I can deny West Virginia is an extremely well coached team.  That had to be one of the most exciting college basketball games I've ever seen, tourney or not, as I loved how both teams played with reckless abandon, fouls and poor shots be damned.   Is Jevon Carter the breakout star of the tournament even in a losing effort?

In my opinion this game was an instant classic.

I have not heard one analyst mention that Gonzaga's defense was really well executed on that last play.

The game announcers did.  I don't know if it was Chris Webber (who really impressed me, by the way) or the play by play guy whose name escapes me but Gonzaga's great D at the end was mentioned.

I am editing this out because I am so superstitious that I know a giddy tweet about my team might destroy their chances forever!!

Because I control the universe with my mind.

On a sad note: the toughest thing about this tournament?  The faces of the young men on the losing team.  I always change the channel.

Edited by voiceover

Didn't Kentucky know they were playing Levar Ball's son?  I mean it was so disrespectful to hold him to 10 points and knock his team out of the tournament.  Don't they know his dad would have wiped the floor with Jordan in his prime and that his son is going to be the best ever?!?

• Love 3
(edited)

I forgot who I first heard the idea from, but I think Ball is looking for a Khardassian (might be misspelled, but no way I'm looking it up) type reality show.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 1
30 minutes ago, xaxat said:

I forgot who I first heard the idea from, but I think Ball is looking for a Khardassian (might be misspelled, but no way I'm looking it up) type reality show.

You might be right.  All I know is, it seems like he's angling for something, to be on some type of show.  A reality show might make more sense because to be on ESPN he would have to have some kind of sports resume or knowledge and from what I've seen of him, he has neither.   Just a loud-ass mouth, which is perfect for a reality show.  I just can't stand to see him or hear him. 

Edited by Ohwell
1 hour ago, Ohwell said:

I think Lonzo Ball's loudmouth daddy is angling for a job on ESPN, and the back and forth yapping between him and Stephen A was an audition.  Ugh.

Not everyone at ESPN would like this - Kirk Herbstreit has been not so subtly expressing his dislike on Twitter. 

Crushing loss for Wisconsin and tough Sweet Sixteen for the Big Ten.  I'm sad my teams are out but also a little relieved they don't have to get crushed by Kansas, UNC or Kentucky who all look very impressive. 

Archie Miller from Dayton to Indiana. 

I can live with that.  A great choice.  Most commentators seem to agree and like the hire. 

Wisconsin-Florida was the game of the tournament so far.  Two last second shots, for OT and the win, both teams blew 5 point leads in the last minute, Wisconsin was down double digits and came back.  Classic game. 

Haven't had a chance to post until now (overwhelmed by crises at work & home), but I am sad that Wisconsin is out, because it means the end of watching that talented, fun, smart group of seniors.  But that's the life of a college sports fan.  I was proud of the Badgers for coming back to force OT.  However, I said in November or December that their struggles to hit free throws would doom them in March, and I was right.  I will be curious to see how the Badgers are next season with the loss of 4 starters.  Somehow I think they will be OK. 

I'm old enough to remember when the Badgers were mediocre, how thrilled we were with a couple NIT appearances, and then finally getting the NCAA bid. The overwhelming excitement of "The Badgers are dancing!  The Badgers are dancing!"  That first time, they were a 9 seed, beat the 8, and then got beat by a #1 seed.  But they won a game in the tournament!! Now it's routine, they are in the tournament every year, have made multiple Sweet 16s and 3 Final Fours.  A loss is so disappointing, especially an OT gut punch that this was, but hey, my team was there.  Often overlooked/underestimated by the "experts," but there and competitive!

I watch baseball occasionally, but my sports are NFL/college football and college basketball, so now it's my offseason.  Well, I'll focus on the NFL draft, to see who the Packers get and where my Badgers go, but other than that, time to check out for a while. 

15 hours ago, mojoween said:

Unless it's your team doing it, blowouts really suck.  I guess the awesomeness of most of Thursday was an anomaly.

I'm okay with blowouts when it's not my team. Usually it'll be a team I hate that's a victim of it, if it helps win a bet or whatever, and/or if helps with the bracket.  Otherwise I'll probably watch a movie or do something before the next game if there isn't another one to switch to.  The one silver lining is that you sit through a deficit, but then the team that's down 25 somehow overcomes that and wins the game