Type keyword(s) to search

College Basketball

xaxat
  • Start Topic

So let me get this straight - the Oregon player says Coach K made the comment to him after the game, Coach K denis he made the comment, but now he says "I reacted incorrectly" to the reporter's question about the incident.  In other words, the sainted Coach K flat out LIED about his conduct?  DId someone point out to him that there are a whole bunch of cameras running during the aftermath of a game?  Why can't someone for once just own up to the fact that they were not truthful?  Why this bullshit obfuscation about "reacting incorrectly?"  This is who you want as the leader of young people?  And to be all apologetic about the fact that he made the comment to the player, that it's not his place to say anything to a player on an opposing team - simply trying to distract everyone about the fact that he LIED. 

So my Badgers are out.  A disappointng loss, but all but one person on the team returns next year.  A lot of speculation about Nigel Hayes throughout the season, that he would leave early, but his poor offensive performance down the stretch has probably ended that talk.  Andy Katz was interviewed by the Badger radio people and was asked about this, and he said at this point there's no way Nigel would be a first round pick. 

Now sports enters the doldrums for me.  I suppose I could follow baseball, but I'm not hopeful about the Brewers.  This is the team that lost a pitcher to injury this week when he tore a knee ligament taking off his shoe.  Sigh . . . when does football start? 

• Love 1

That Oregon player reacted a lot classier than most would have. Maybe because it was coach K, but he shouldn't have said anything. Duke has had many games where they beat the crap out of the other team, and an opposing coach never told a Duke player that they are better than running up a score. Let the poor kid enjoy the victory.

• Love 2

Since Duke is out and this entire city has turned Orange I'm on the bandwagon. I even watched the entire women's game today and I've never watched one women's game in my life. That Brianna Butler is pretty damn good. Her three point shot is beautiful.

I caught the end of the Syracuse women's game, saw their coach, and wondered when Cee-Lo left music for women's basketball. 

Back to the men's tourney, even though for the most part I lost interest when the Sweet 16 was set I found myself rooting for Notre Dame's Demetrius Jackson in a maternal way after finding out he's a foster kid.  I loved his post game interview after beating Wisconsin where he was all smiles and eloquence as I'm sure his life hasn't been easy.

• Love 2

Chuck doesn't add much in studio, but one thing he is right about is the trouble teams are having inbounding the ball under pressure. Teams are just wilting when facing the press.

I'm not one to ever root for Syracuse for anything, but any hate is gone.  People I know said they shouldn't have been in the dance, but when people that more than earned a spot say "no thanks" and lose significantly, that is not cool.  Syracuse making it is surprising, as mentioned, but not a shock.  Total respect for proving people wrong about your participation (and whether they would have beaten MSU, which I think they would have).

I am saddened for Virginia. Not a Northern Iowa collapse, but with a cushion like that I think they should have been able to escape with the proper mid-half adjustments.  Learning experience.  Next year they might learn from it (though Louisville returns to further add to the difficulty of the ACC)

I am cranky today so my indignance is perhaps over the top, but WTF.

I do not understand how the media can with a straight face ask Roy Williams how important it is to have seniors and how all of the remaining teams are led by kids that have been around for awhile and how much has that changed the game? when JUST LAST YEAR the champion was led by three freshman and the media talked about how this is a new world of basketball and the one-and-dones are going to change the game.

Also, hearing Andy Katz preface a question to Williams by saying "coach you've been through a lot this year..."

Pardon me, but what? Is he talking about the academic allegations? Because boo fucking hoo, NC is not the only school this has happened to.

• Love 2

I don't understand why, if apparently NRG Stadium is the worst basketball-shooting arena in the history of modern sports, the most important games of the season are being played there again.

(edited)

The beautiful thing is, they either matched or exceeded (I forget which one) the shooting percentage that Villanova shot in  '85 against Georgetown.  I will never forget that game.

Edited by Ohwell

Ooof, that was rough.  I didn't have a horse here either, but I got sucked into the Buddy Hield stories I saw this week so was rooting for him.  I still am, and I hope he gets everything he's worked for, but that was brutal. 

Damn, I expected Villanova to win, but not like this.

Same. I guess it was a reminder of Superbowl 48 where even the biggest of stages can have its one-sided result.  I guess it was a combination of the fact that a great team prevails over one star and Nova feeling that everyone was against then (which they weren't).

It hurts my heart my Heels lost but congratulations to Villanova. They had a great tourney and beat the best of the best.

Sidebar homeboy learned how to shoot from her momma. For all the people who doubt women, you can't in this moment.

Holee shit!  What a game!  I still remember little Rollie running around the court after they won in '85.  I'm so happy for him and Jay Wright and 'Nova.  Carolina put up a fight at the end, and it was a great game.  Now I need to go calm myself down.

(edited)

That was such a great game and I'm glad I watched it but fucking hell I am so tired. I know it's about the money and advertisers and decent start times for the west coast but dammit I wish the game could start an hour earlier.

I loved the feature on the pre show about "One Shining Moment" (except the video of Keith Smart hitting that jumper, that still hurts). Although Duke got the shaft and wasn't in it this year, it's still my favorite part of any tourney.

Oh! Also, this whole time I thought Archie Diacono was a first and last name. Until he was named the MOP I had no idea his actual first name was Ryan.

Edited by mojoween

Best game ever.

Well, no, but as mentioned it was probably up there with the best (I've seen) if not the best.  After all the upsets, all the buzzer-beaters, and madness that occurred in the Dance over the years, but not so much in the title game. Until now (first time in about 33 years, or 6 years if you count almost buzzer-beaters).  It sure as heck made up for Saturday, and even without the ending it was a great game against two of the best. Not sure it was a valid upset, but Villanova did all the correct things, even within their mistakes and deficits to prevail.  Feel bad for North Carolina, but someone had to lose that game (and there was no guarantee they'd win in OT).

Probably the most exciting/outstanding end game since Superbowl XLIV and the 2014 Stanley Cup Finals, IMO. Not sure how 2017 tops yesterday, but that's a year away & I don't think it needs to be a game-ending basket to do so

Great job to both teams and their staff.

Neither has anything to be ashamed of.

Sure I was hoping my newly adopted city/state would win, but Villanova hasn't won since 89? 85? It's nice to see other teams winning. Unless my Buckeyes are involved, of course. ;-D

Ditto on the Archie D. I did learn how to say his name by pretending Archie was his first name. Love his story about always dreaming of playing for Nova and winning a championship. 

Dreams do come true.

Love that Big East is making a comeback. Granted, it seems to only be Nova and Seton Hall doing real well but hopefully this will give Georgetown and St John's the gumption to turn their programs around. Johnnies sucked this year but I think Chris Mullen will do a good job. Ever the gym rat, I'm sure he won't stop trying. Even though Syracuse is no longer Big East it feels good to see them doing well.

UConn wins easily, as expected. But given their opponent, I thought Syracuse acquitted themselves well.

I don't buy the argument that their dominance is bad for women's basketball, but I do think it unfortunately overshadowed the finish of Breanna Stewart's outstanding career.

Granted, it seems to only be Nova and Seton Hall doing real well

Xavier?

I don't buy the argument that their dominance is bad for women's basketball

It's become boring. Unfortunately for women's basketball, there hasn't been any real parity. You would think that another few programs would catch up to UConn at some point. Even as other women's sports become more exciting (soccer, hockey), women's basketball has kind of languished.

Xavier?

It's become boring. Unfortunately for women's basketball, there hasn't been any real parity. You would think that another few programs would catch up to UConn at some point. Even as other women's sports become more exciting (soccer, hockey), women's basketball has kind of languished.

Yes, no slights intended, I just couldn't think of the other teams at the time.

Used to be nail biting time during the UConn v Tenn era but now not so much. There needs to be more parity. Love UConn to pieces but the game needs more competition. 

(edited)

I did find the analogy interesting in that UConn is above everyone, but the rest of the women's field does have parity. I can see that considering how the rest of the women's field shook out this year.

SU only lost by 31. Victory! If I read it correctly, the first five games UConn won by 210 points or 42 points per game on average, so the SU game was practically a nail-biter.

Did Breanna win the MOP?

Oop never mind I got my answer. That is amazing. I wondered if her (for her) less-than-stellar game in the Final Four would hurt her chances but who else would it have gone to?

Edited by mojoween

Yes, no slights intended, I just couldn't think of the other teams at the time.

Used to be nail biting time during the UConn v Tenn era but now not so much. There needs to be more parity. Love UConn to pieces but the game needs more competition. 

I agree that the women's game could use more parity. And I love women's basketball. 

I recently heard a story on NPR about women's basketball. It seems that other women's programs are unashamedly studying UConn to find out what their secrets were for building such a great program. Because UConn wasn't always as dominant as it is now. But now that it is, other colleges have a tough time trying recruit the best high school players. They all want to win, so they go to UConn. 

I agree that the women's game could use more parity. And I love women's basketball. 

I recently heard a story on NPR about women's basketball. It seems that other women's programs are unashamedly studying UConn to find out what their secrets were for building such a great program. Because UConn wasn't always as dominant as it is now. But now that it is, other colleges have a tough time trying recruit the best high school players. They all want to win, so they go to UConn. 

Yes, but everyone can't go to UConn. There's only so many spots/scholarships. At least before you could also consider teams like Tennessee. But really if you are a certain type of basketballer UConn might not fit your style while another school would be a better fit. If the coach is great like Summitt and Geno  and even the 'Cuse coach seems like he has a certain vision, then the universe expands.

I don't know what Geno's "secret" is. Maybe he just has that round ball sixth sense because while they haven't always been this dominant they have always been really, really good going back to the Taurasi/Bird/Cash era. I don't know how much "richer" the school is.  The men's team has a tradition of being quite good at various times but they haven't had the overwhelming success the womens program has.

It can't just be Geno, right? There's gotta be a staff that scouts US high schools. Yes, topanga, maybe there should be some fact finding committee formed to figure out the UConn program because it's crazy!

• Love 1

I don't know if it's the same in the men's game, but in the women's game the high school AAU coaches have a lot of power.  So much that one college coach hired an AAU coach to her staff.  When his player graduated, he was let go.  There are also times where AAU coaches charge thousands of dollars to work the college summer camps. They'll then help steer their player to those colleges.  Also if they don't like a college coach, usually because they refuse to play the game, they'll do the opposite. Somehow none of it is against NCAA rules. 

However I doubt UCONN has to do this because they're at the point where if a player wants a championship they just go there.

Pearl Washington passed away at age 52 today.

I have lived in Syracuse my entire life and he was my introduction to college basketball when I was a teen watching with my dad.

Fuck cancer.

mojoween, I'm a NYer with lots of love for Big East. This is a sad day and I am shedding many tears today. Pearl was a gem. He made the Syracuse program what it became. The Big East got on the map with his help.

We love him here.

Get thee gone, Cancer!

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/15277787/former-syracuse-great-dwayne-pearl-washington-dies 

The list of people whom I never knew but nonetheless got truly upset when they died is short, but it now has one more name.  Pat Summitt was one of the greatest coaches I have ever had the pleasure of watching, and an inspirational woman. 

• Love 5
(edited)

For all of the accolades Pat Summit will receive upon her passing, I think her influence may be greater than that.

When she started coaching, some girls were playing six on six basketball, because they weren't seen as capable of running 94 feet, and women were discouraged from running marathons because they were "too frail". 

Summit helped remove any limits on how hard women could compete in sports. Any sport. So in addition to her coaching legacy, she also contributed to girls/women being able to play hard in the WNBA/World Cup soccer/pole vaulting/MMA etc.

Normally, I'm not a fan of the current craze of memorializing sports figures with statues (these are people who just played/coached a game), but her statue at Tennessee is more than earned.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 2

100% graduation rate.  That will never be equaled.

Coach K has a little over a year to match her win total but his for awhile will be a number, because she did it in one place and only has 208 losses, which is CRAZY.

• Love 4