Type keyword(s) to search

College Basketball

xaxat
  • Start Topic

I knew he was too young to be Russell. I thought they said "Doc" in one of the ads but I didn't think it looked like Julius, then I realized I was thinking of Kareem Abdul-Jabber for no earthly good reason.

I absolutely love the one I saw for the first time today, where Shaq is playing with a glass slipper and the other three look at each other like Shaq has lost his mind.

I do not like Shaq's wonky eye injury with the scissors, however. It gives me the heebie-jeebies.

I also like the one where Shaq is "dancing."

Also, even though I can't usually stand Samuel L. Jackson, Charles Barkley, and Spike Lee, I think they're funny in the "In De Annapolis" commercial. 

• Love 1

My favorite is the one AndreaK1041 posted. Featuring Laettner literally resting on his laurels.

Whose genius idea was it to have the final tip off of Saturday in Pittsburgh? They do realize that there are other time zones where teams wouldn't be playing after midnight, don't they?

The insomniac in me misses the days when there were prime time West Coast/late night East Coast games.

Well if you weren't already a Nigel Hayes fan, here's a couple things to convince you:

First, Hayes and his teammates were fascinated by the stenographer at their press conference. Hayes tested the stenographer with words like cattywampus:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger/wisconsin-s-nigel-hayes-tests-ncaa-stenographer-during-press-conference-235557660.html

Then at their Sweet 16 presser the other day, they started by asking Nigel if he had any words to test the stenographer. He said "syzygy" and then had this hilarious/embarrassing/adorable moment:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger/wisconsin-s-nigel-hayes-has-hilarious-press-conference-moment--video-235059618.html

• Love 3

I don't care if Kentucky is the greatest team in the history of ever, that game was beyond boring to watch. Unless you're a UK fan, I would rather watch competitive hoops over garbage like that any day of the week.

Of course, I've never BEEN a UK fan and do not like Calipari at all, so a loss by them would be welcome to me. Go Irish!

• Love 2
I don't care if Kentucky is the greatest team in the history of ever, that game was beyond boring to watch. Unless you're a UK fan, I would rather watch competitive hoops over garbage like that any day of the week.

I tried to watch it, but I tuned out when it was 16-2 in favor of Kentucky. 

Edited by Gillian Rosh

I am a born and raised Wisconsinite, but Reggie Miller drooling over Wisconsin was so damn irritating.  He was doing it in the first half even when they were losing! I loved Reggie as a player, but him as an announcer is the worst.  He finally found something to comment on other than his own career, and he still managed to annoy.

A big AMEN to that.  I'd rather watch a close game by two middle of the pack teams than a team of one and doners who obliterate everyone in their path.  Why do we even bother calling Kentucky a college team?

• Love 3

Except Kentucky is not a bunch of one and done players. The only freshman starter is Karl Anthony Towns. The Harrison twins are sophomores and Willie Cauley Stein is a junior. That's not to say guys like Devin Booker won't go pro, but the bulk of Kentucky's minutes haven't gone to freshmen this year.

• Love 4

It's possible that Duke will have three one and dones in Okafor, Winslow and Jones.

Everybody is recruiting the best talent, regardless of how long they will be around.

Everybody is recruiting the best talent, regardless of how long they will be around.

That's why I wish more would be said about Gonzaga's Byron Wesley.  He graduated in three years with a degree in psychology and is playing his fourth and final year as a grad student.  Isn't that what the NCAA wants, a true student-athlete?

Aim hahaha no, the NCAA doesn't. They want whatever is going to make the most $$$$$.

I can't root in Louisville/State. I just can't. I'm rooting for the Dome to finally collapse in on itself.

The Elite Eight has three ACC teams, two Big Ten and one each of SEC, PAC-12 and WCC. Power conferences all around, except for maybe the WCC? Are they considered a mid-major?

Edited by mojoween

Wisconsin's Frank Kaminsky is a four-year player too. He's gotten a lot of publicity this year, and is the likely candidate for national player of the year.

Izzo in March is ridiculous. The minute I saw Virginia's draw I knew they were in trouble. Now I can totally see MSU beating Louisville for another Final Four trip.

Anyway, on Wisconsin!

I am a MSU alum, so I am always rooting for State. I doubt MSU will beat Louisville, but I am always a pessimist when it comes to my teams. If they do win, then I will be pleasantly surprised. 

Edited by Misslindsey

If the outcome of Arizona/Wisconsin is the same as the last time they met in the tourney, that will be dandy.

If you put a gun to my head, I would probably be ok with State taking out Louisville but I wouldn't feel good about it.

But no offense to alums rooting for their alma maters! I would too if my school were a D1 school but they didn't even make the D3 tourney this year.

• Love 1

The Elite Eight has three ACC teams, two Big Ten and one each of SEC, PAC-12 and WCC. Power conferences all around, except for maybe the WCC? Are they considered a mid-major?

I think so.  Despite all of Gonzaga's success in the past 15 years they're still considered a mid-major team.

First of all congrats to the cheeseheads, well done. Second of all, I'm afraid their chance of the upset just went bye-bye. Much like Duke's game against Kentucky in '92, this was Kentucky's game. The one game every champion has that pushes them to the limit, then they go on to finish the job.

• Love 1

Really? Because it ended on a foul. It's not like they had to make a play to win the game. Obviously they still had to make the free throws, but the few games I've watched have been unbearable with the all the whistles. I might not be watching the right games, but the ones I have, it's barely 100-110 seconds between whistles.

Really? Because it ended on a foul. It's not like they had to make a play to win the game. Obviously they still had to make the free throws, but the few games I've watched have been unbearable with the all the whistles. I might not be watching the right games, but the ones I have, it's barely 100-110 seconds between whistles.

It's actually worse than that. I forgot the exact numbers, but Mike Greenberg had a stat that indicated it was closer to a foul a minute being called going into the weekend.

Oh God - overtime for Michigan State/Louisville.

ETA: Every time I think one team has momentum, the other team makes a comeback.

ETA II: Well, hats off to Michigan State on making the Final Four. I feel bad for (Uncle) Rick Pitino. I've always liked him.

Now, watch Duke v. Gonzaga is going to be a snore.

Edited by Gillian Rosh

How about the Big Ten? Not so much attention as in recent years, but 50% of the Final Four is pretty impressive.

A guy on sports talk radio (yuck) this morning called in to say Kentucky is "good not great". Sorry, sir. You are mistaken.

• Love 2

So on the former NBA all star turned basketball analyst list of rankings, my top choice is Chris Webber, with, I guess Grant Hill next in line. After you get to the bottom, go down a little bit further and then a little bit further than that, and that's where you'll find Reggie Miller.

That missed lay up that would have tied the game is going to haunt Gonzaga and their fans for decades.

Those were some phenomenal Elite Eight games. I was maybe a liiiiiitle bit more invested than usual because of my chance to go 4/4 in my Final Four picks, but I think my heart would have been pounding nonetheless. (And I did get all 4 in the end!)

Random musings:

• I picked Kentucky over Duke in the final game, but I am real worried about this Wisconsin match-up after the Notre Dame game.
  • The silver lining, should Wisconsin win and I lose my 70+ person bracket contest: Nigel Hayes. After the stenographer stories started making the rounds I just can't help rooting for the guy.
  • I was beyond delighted that Izzo reigned supreme over Pitino. I love the former and despise the latter.
  • Duke, for once, isn't driving me crazy. I give a lot of credit to Justise Winslow and Tyus Jones for that. 
  • Tough breaks for Gonzaga, and it kind of stinks they have to wear the can't-make-it-to-the-bigs mantle for at least another year.
  • MY GOD THE COMMERCIALS. Can we seriously not do better than running the same ones over and over again? Buick, I'm voting you off the island. Southwest, you get to stay solely because of the dancing girl at weddings. Everyone else: you're on notice. (Even you, Barles Charkley.)
  • Love 1

The analysis is that Wisconsin's bigs can take Kentucky's bigs out of their game with perimeter shooting. Both Dekker and Kaminsky can hit the three ball very well. But we'll see.

It will be a great game, the No. 1 defense in the country in Kentucky vs. the No. 1 offense in Wisconsin. The national title game will almost be a letdown after that!

• Love 3

So on the former NBA all star turned basketball analyst list of rankings, my top choice is Chris Webber

I would like to know who CWebb's speech therapist was.  He solidly talked only out of one side of his mouth for most of his life, including his first years announcing, and then one year (this year or last?  I think this one) he magically speaks clearly with his whole mouth.  The change was over a summer and it was remarkable.

For those of you in love with Nigel, check out his Hayes for Days videos on Youtube where he plays reporter -- this is one he did from Finals Week last year, but he did a number of them during last year's tournament:

I only wish they had done the videos again this year. Nigel is quite a character.

• Love 2

Figures. The one time I wanted Kentucky to win they don't. I hope Wisconsin didn't use all their mojo to win this game, because for me the only way that game with Duke can be a great one on Monday is if Wisconsin wins.

I DVRd the Kentucky feed on TNT and was kind of surprised to see Rex Chapman doing color commentary, considering he was arrested less than seven months ago for felony theft and trafficking in stolen goods.  I wonder what Greg Anthony thinks about that.

Not surprisingly, most of Chapman's analysis consisted of complaining about every call that went against the Wildcats.  The guy doing play-by-play was pretty good though.

I wanted Kentucky to win because I like whenever someone or something is flirting with "history", and it would have been nice to see an undefeated season.  But with them losing, I can freely and unabashedly root for DUKE!!  Nothing against Wisconsin.  I think they're great and all, but I've been a Duke and Coach K fan for decades.  Jay Will made a fan, so I'm happy he's involved with all the pre and post game commentary.

Great win for Duke. They fought hard in this game and showed that defense should never be overlooked. The unsung hero is Jefferson and his play against Kaminsky in the 2nd half.

So Calipari takes years of abuse for having success with NBA ready talent. Coach K wins last night with a bunch of freshmen and is praised for his ability to adapt to the changing landscape of college basketball.

• Love 3

It's deplorable that you can't crack 70 points in the national championship game. That's not "good defense". These games were just hard to watch, and the tournament is supposed to be a showcase. 

• Love 1