Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E05: Birthday Hex

• Start Topic

I’m not a fan of Amanda however I will give her credit when due. She looked amazing in her lavender bikini. Amanda has a very nice body. If she ever starts a gym workout and diet program; her body would be spectacular. Amanda should begin her diet transformation by giving up all alcoholic beverages.

• Love 2
Spoiler

I really hated the way the residents of the house didn’t give two shits about Mya, who came to this house apparently not knowing anyone, is a person of color in “The Hamptons”, is an admitted  introvert and yet none of these self centered assholes could do anything to make her feel better when she cooks most of the food and cleans the house. Luckily for her, production must have seen this as an opportunity to cash in on a social issue & recruited Ciara ( who honestly NEVER had a bit of trouble bEing included last year) boing the topic to the fore.  Wouldn’t you think 30 year olds would be perceptive and gracious enough to give up one damn night on the town to make someone feel better?  I think Andrea was a total asshole to not bring her a cup of coffee at least & those crocodile tears didn’t fool me . Paige way to involved in her own popularity, Lindsay on the hunt for a husband, and Amanda being a spoiled brat over not getting a birthday gift - all great example of white  privilege making people totally self absorbed.

Spoiler
Spoiler

No spoiler - I hit the wrong button.

• Love 4

Did anyone notice? Paige is still a little uptight about the Craig/Kristin Cavallari romp. I like Paige, however I can appreciate Cavallari knocking Paige a few rungs down the ladder. I’m gonna watch the second half of this episode again. I’m still not sure why Mya was crying. Mya and the entire cast have been selected to appear on the show because they are young and on their way to acquiring wealth. Good looking professional people definitely belong in the Hamptons.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, FrankieTankie said:

Amanda is the epitome of a self centered snobby bitch … I hate her with a passion 

Yes.  And I feel the same way about Paige.  How did these idiots figure out a way to get famous and get a paycheck while laying in bed 90% of the day (and night)?? And sometimes going to the beach.  Nothing interesting is happening with these people, ever.  Sometimes they dance on the table- ooohhh! 

Mya, asking any of these self absorbed assholes (other than Luke) to even notice that you exist is a big ask.  They care about nothing but themselves.  

Edited by heatherchandler
  • Love 11

I think some of Mya’s emotions were for her broken engagement and the way that and the relationship itself made her feel. Between Lindsey being a mean girl on Friday night (and she was) and Andrea calling her the wrong names, Bravo seized the opportunity for a race discussion. They even highlighted her broken engagement talking head. It’s part of her storyline and it was only 6 months prior. Interestingly, the coffee didn’t come up in the conversation so I wonder if Andrea went back with a cup for Mya and it wasn’t shown or heard about again because it didn’t serve the narrative. It seemed strange to me that he wouldn’t have done that since it’s his thing. If he didn’t, that wasn’t cool.

I really feel that they should’ve called out Lindsey as well because that was a total you can’t sit with us move and it was bullshit. Even if it was a ticketed event, you’re telling me a couple of cast people from summerhouse show up and they can’t scrounge up a ticket for one more, especially an attractive woman? Come on. Lindsey worked in PR. Getting people into events was her job. I am stunned that she’s being defended in other places on the internet so vehemently. 

But yes, except for few instances, this cast is completely self-absorbed, they believe their own hype and Bravo produced this mess. They’re too caught up in their own drama to care about a new cast member’s emotional trauma about the way she has been treated. It’s okay for other cast members to bring entire carts of baggage to the house, but new people aren’t even allowed a carry on. 

These people are such assholes.

Regardless of how Amanda behaved, Kyle’s birthday flowers were a bullshit afterthought because he f*cked up royally by not doing a single thing for her 30th birthday. They just shouldn’t be together. 

Amanda’s constant burping in front of other people is really, really gross.

Edited by RedDelicious
  • Love 7

Maybe I'm a sap, but to me that was the first natural discussion of race/inclusiveness I've seen on a Bravo show. I understood how Mya felt as a newcomer to the house and how some peoples behavior made her feel unseen. I'm sure that her recent broken engagement contributed to her pain, but sometimes it's the little things that put you over the edge.

The actual discussion was needed and appeared (to me) to be eye-opening for some people. I guess we'll see if the group is more inclusive moving forward. Was Lindsey there, cause she definitely needed to hear it. She has a history of not being nice to new (well, any other than Danielle) women in the house.

Where was Carl all weekend??

12 hours ago, APK said:

I’m not a fan of Amanda however I will give her credit when due. She looked amazing in her lavender bikini. Amanda has a very nice body. If she ever starts a gym workout and diet program; her body would be spectacular. Amanda should begin her diet transformation by giving up all alcoholic beverages.

Amanda's body is on point, really don't see how she needs to improve what she's likely already doing.  Luke's body is insane as well.  Is he specifically training for something? He mentioned being sore/tired a couple times. 

Edited by snarts
  • Love 6

I'm kinda living for them outing Kristin C on this show since she so fiercely denied things and said they were all "just friends" last year. Good for her for getting freaky, and good for Bravo and Craig for being so m e s s y! (but giant ew on doing either Austen or Craig, or both) I legit cackled the entire time because I'm awful.

I didn't understand why Mya was focusing only on Andrea, when Lindsay was a real bitch about not including her, and Paige called her the wrong name too. Any new person has a really hard time breaking into the group (off the top of my head: Jordan, Jules, Amit, Luke at first and even Danielle when she first started.) They were really pretty cruel to Jules. 

Mya also separated herself when they partied previously: remember when she was talking with Carl and she said she goes to bed early like he does? They can't include her if she's not in the mix. Plus, this group is very self-focused and expecting them to extend themselves beyond their own noses is going to be tough. (See: Mya is visibly upset and Paige tells her it will be nice to have the whole house to herself while the rest of them go out. Harsh!) isn't she supposed to be Paige's friend?

That said I appreciated the discussion and how receptive everyone seemed. I hope it makes a difference.

Snarts, Kyle said Carl was in Calif for work 

Amanda and Kyle admitting that it's been a long time since Kyle has given her any sort of gift, and that the Cooke's aren't "gift people" is just wow. I'm not much of a getting gifts person now that I'm older (drives my family crazy, but I have everything I need) but I love giving them. If it's important to her, Kyle should step it up; he could even ask for a list of something she'd want and could pick from that. He seems really resentful of her though. Great way to start a marriage!

• Love 5

The group conversation was a nice touch but it was too white savior for me. Production should have focused on the cast being jerks, and they didn't. Instead the cast was given an opportunity to think out loud and make themselves look better by way of the conversation when truly, in July 2021, they should have damn well known the way they were treating Mya as a newcomer and as a full fledged castmate wasn't cool.

Lindsey wanted dick, Paige wanted Mya out of her bed so Andrea could crawl in, and Andrea should have been nicer her, Alex wasn't paying attention to what Mya was doing and turned off the oven and instead we got a giant conversation about being called the wrong name. FFS, I just got back from my orthodontist and they called me Jennifer the entire time I was there, when my picture and my name are on my patient record on the screen right in front of them. I have been called the wrong name my entire life and I ranted on this pretty extensively over on the RHoNY board. I work in healthcare and wear a nametag and people still call me the wrong name. It makes me feel insignificant and I don't know why it has been going on for over 40 years but this isn't about me.

It's about the way this self-absorbed cast has gotten away with treating newcomers and just being assholes in general, and it's a production issue now because Mya is both having a hard time fitting in and black. Jules was Jordanian and I'm pretty sure Amit was Ashkenazi Jewish, which is an ancestry or otherwise an ethnic identity. It just felt a touch exploitative. The entire cast should have treated her better.

It's true Ciara didn't have these problems when she came into the group, but she also came in with a buddy (Luke) and made friends on her own. She was like original Carole Radziwill, the cool girl with the great ass. Mya came in mostly on her own and she was doing so great and suddenly it all came crashing down. I loathe these people. 

(side note, I have a THING for Ashkenazi dudes, like Joseph Gordon Levitt)

• Love 5
10 hours ago, RedDelicious said:

I really feel that they should’ve called out Lindsey as well because that was a total you can’t sit with us move and it was bullshit. Even if it was a ticketed event, you’re telling me a couple of cast people from summerhouse show up and they can’t scrounge up a ticket for one more, especially an attractive woman? Come on. Lindsey worked in PR. Getting people into events was her job. I am stunned that she’s being defended in other places on the internet so vehemently. 

But yes, except for few instances, this cast is completely self-absorbed, they believe their own hype and Bravo produced this mess. They’re too caught up in their own drama to care about a new cast member’s emotional trauma about the way she has been treated. It’s okay for other cast members to bring entire carts of baggage to the house, but new people aren’t even allowed a carry on. 

These people are such assholes.

People are defending Lindsey?  Where?  

That cannot be said enough, they are such assholes.

5 hours ago, WhatAmIWatching said:

I didn't understand why Mya was focusing only on Andrea, when Lindsay was a real bitch about not including her, and Paige called her the wrong name too. Any new person has a really hard time breaking into the group (off the top of my head: Jordan, Jules, Amit, Luke at first and even Danielle when she first started.) They were really pretty cruel to Jules. 

Mya also separated herself when they partied previously: remember when she was talking with Carl and she said she goes to bed early like he does? They can't include her if she's not in the mix. Plus, this group is very self-focused and expecting them to extend themselves beyond their own noses is going to be tough. (See: Mya is visibly upset and Paige tells her it will be nice to have the whole house to herself while the rest of them go out. Harsh!) isn't she supposed to be Paige's friend?

That said I appreciated the discussion and how receptive everyone seemed. I hope it makes a difference.

They were horrific to Jules.  They told her to leave.  F---- Carl, he was the leader of that BS.

Paige pretending to cry was really the topper.  

To me, they didn't seem receptive, I felt like they were annoyed that they had to go through the motions of trying to force out a few tears and say something nice.  

• Love 4

Kyle and Amanda both suck but Kyle is a loser. How hard is it to buy someone a gift. I’m sure Amanda expects nothing so he could prob get mega points for the bare minimum lol. All he cares about is himself tho and I’m sure his family gives gift when appropriate. Their son is just an asshole.

Danielle is annoying to me and I don’t know why really because she never bothered me much before. Kind of surprised she quit her job to start a fashion app. Do we need another one of those lol.

The Paige and Ciara duo annoy me. They really think too high of themselves. When they are apart they aren’t as bad. I don’t care about who Ciara is going to hook up with tho it all seems so forced. Maybe Paige didn’t seem as bad in previous Summer houses because Hannah sucked so bad lol.

Andrea’s obsession with Paige is getting annoying.

I felt bad for Mya but the convo at the end seemed like an after school special and I don’t buy a lot of their tears. Most of them are just self absorbed jerks and there’s no way they don’t know about this kind of stuff in 2021. They just don’t care. Andrea especially seems to be able to turn on the waterworks easily.

Luke is extra hot to me lately and I don’t know why lol.

Edited by Marley
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, RedDelicious said:

It's about the way this self-absorbed cast has gotten away with treating newcomers and just being assholes in general, and it's a production issue now because Mya is both having a hard time fitting in and black. Jules was Jordanian and I'm pretty sure Amit was Ashkenazi Jewish, which is an ancestry or otherwise an ethnic identity. It just felt a touch exploitative. The entire cast should have treated her better.

Isn't Danielle black, too? I don't think the treatment of Mya had anything to do with her color. She has a complex about being ignored and feeling less than but in this group I don't think it had anything to do with race. She said her boyfriend was always the star and she took a backseat to him, too. Maybe she needs some therapy to understand why she is always feeling this way and put in these situations. The rest of the gang are just simple inconsiderate narcissistic assholes. 

Edited by bichonblitz
  • Love 5

I don't like any of them right now, but I also don't believe that any of the older cast members are racist. At all.  They may be ignorant, self-absorbed assholes and narcissists, but that is not the same as being racist.  I'm going to become that grumpy old woman and say SO WHAT if someone called you by the wrong name???  Do white people never call another white person by the wrong name?  Do black people never call each other by the wrong name?  I'm asian and have kept my asian name, and it happens ALL the time.  From people of all different races and backgrounds.  I just correct them and move on... you know, like people used to.

Look, I'm not going to start a politically-incorrect rant here because this is not the platform for it.  At the same time, someone made a mistake and it was simply that - a mistake.  I've heard PARENTS call one of their children by another one of their children's names.  People will call you by the wrong name, because they just will.  People will bump into you because they weren't paying attention and again, it will not be related to your appearance.  Some people are just assholes.  To everybody.  If you come across an actual racist, you will know.  People being self-absorbed and ignorant is not the same as being racist.

Ciara, every single person in the house and the ones who watched you last season couldn't stop talking about how pretty you were.  It had nothing to do with your race.  You're gorgeous because you're gorgeous.  Mya is super pretty too.  I guess they all are, if we only saw photos of them, but because we know their personalities, they look less attractive than they are.

• Love 9
6 hours ago, SarahPrtr said:

I don't like any of them right now, but I also don't believe that any of the older cast members are racist.

Neither does Mya. That wasn't her point. She explained how being black in the Hamptons is challenging and how she was feeling out of place within the group.  The older cast members aren't racist, they were just being exclusive and that was adding to Mya's feeling of not belonging. 

I thought the discussion helped them understand how she was feeling and how their behavior affects her without being accusatory. I guess we'll see if they make more of an attempt to include her moving forward. 

Ooh, I forgot about Danielle's new business adventure. Like someone else already mentioned, no, the world does not need another fashion app. She should've stayed with her corporate gig. 

Edited by snarts
  • Love 7

I'm of two minds about Danielle's new venture. 

It appears like a career choice based on what is more adaptable to being a BRAVOlebrity, which seems ill-advised.

But if the BRAVO money far outpaces her other revenue streams striking while the iron is hot probably isn't the worst idea.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2

IslandBoy & I loved how the race discussion was handled (I’m a POC, IslandBoy is not). We also thought the rest of the cast responded sincerely as a result. Ciara presented the issue in a way that didn’t make anyone feel defensive, & Mya did the same. I know if I feel attacked, I react defensively even when I shouldn’t so I appreciated their approach.

I’m just gonna say it; if you’re not a person of color, or don’t live with a person of color & see first hand what they go through on an almost daily basis, then I guess you are just not going to understand how Mya & Ciara often feel. Growing up as one of the only black kids in school is tough. Even if the kids aren’t racist, many of their parents are & believe me, you know it & feel it when they invite you over. 

I very much appreciated & related to the discussion at the end of the episode… 💕😔

Edited by IslandGirl
Because their is not there…
  • Useful 2
  • Love 11
7 hours ago, SarahPrtr said:

I don't like any of them right now, but I also don't believe that any of the older cast members are racist. At all.  They may be ignorant, self-absorbed assholes and narcissists, but that is not the same as being racist.  I'm going to become that grumpy old woman and say SO WHAT if someone called you by the wrong name???  Do white people never call another white person by the wrong name?  Do black people never call each other by the wrong name?  I'm asian and have kept my asian name, and it happens ALL the time.  From people of all different races and backgrounds.  I just correct them and move on... you know, like people used to.

Look, I'm not going to start a politically-incorrect rant here because this is not the platform for it.  At the same time, someone made a mistake and it was simply that - a mistake.  I've heard PARENTS call one of their children by another one of their children's names.  People will call you by the wrong name, because they just will.  People will bump into you because they weren't paying attention and again, it will not be related to your appearance.  Some people are just assholes.  To everybody.  If you come across an actual racist, you will know.  People being self-absorbed and ignorant is not the same as being racist.

Ciara, every single person in the house and the ones who watched you last season couldn't stop talking about how pretty you were.  It had nothing to do with your race.  You're gorgeous because you're gorgeous.  Mya is super pretty too.  I guess they all are, if we only saw photos of them, but because we know their personalities, they look less attractive than they are.

Ciara & Mya were not accusing anyone in the house of being racist. They were explaining why being called the wrong name, not acknowledged when coffee is brought to the 2 people you’re sitting in bed with, or being told you can’t accompany your 2 housemates to the club for whatever reason, is triggering. That’s what they were saying, not that any of these actions were racist, but rather that they were triggering due to all the racism they have actually experienced…

Edited by IslandGirl
Because were is not we’re
  • Useful 3
  • Love 10
19 hours ago, Marley said:

I felt bad for Mya but the convo at the end seemed like an after school special and I don’t buy a lot of their tears. Most of them are just self absorbed jerks and there’s no way they don’t know about this kind of stuff in 2021. They just don’t care. Andrea especially seems to be able to turn on the waterworks easily.

I agree. It felt like A Very Special Summer House. And I also agree, these people so far up their own asses that I don't feel they are capable of expressing true sincerity. They don't care about Mya. If they did, as adults and especially in this day and age, they never would have treated her the way they did in the first place. They only care about how they looked in the aftermath. For crying out loud it is common decency.

I would NEVER exclude someone or allow them to be excluded like that. I've been on the receiving end of it and I can relate to how shitty it feels. A mature adult would know better and do better. They shouldn't need an on-camera come to Jesus to figure it out.

• Love 5
14 hours ago, IslandGirl said:

IslandBoy & I loved how the race discussion was handled (I’m a POC, IslandBoy is not). We also thought the rest of the cast responded sincerely as a result. Ciara presented the issue in a way that didn’t make anyone feel defensive, & Mya did the same. I know if I feel attacked, I react defensively even when I shouldn’t so I appreciated their approach.

I’m just gonna say it; if you’re not a person of color, or don’t live with a person of color & see first hand what they go through on an almost daily basis, then I guess you are just not going to understand how Mya & Ciara often feel. Growing up as one of the only black kids in school is tough. Even if the kids aren’t racist, many of their parents are & believe me, you know it & feel it when they invite you over. 

I very much appreciated & related to the discussion at the end of the episode & am truly disappointed to read some of these comments… 💕😔

Island girl, I hear you and I feel exactly the same. I think it’s just extremely difficult for people to step into others’ shoes and the topic of race especially in the States just gets their defenses up. Instead of listening, they are quick to deny and minimize their experience.

Also, let’s consider when Luke asked Mya to bring him the cookies she made. 

Not only did no one offer to help, they even started that kiss ass  game without her. Who does that? And Danielle offering to catch her up was a little too late. 🙄

I was pleasantly surprised by Ciara leading the discussion but she is kind of part of the problem too. She is in a clique with Paige and Andrea and I haven’t seen her welcome Mya either except for the beach talk.

Lindsey and Danielle were the ultimate mean girls. Lindsey’s tone was just extremely rude but if I were Mya, I would have gone out with Ciara or even just by myself. 

I was super impressed with Mya, Kyle, Ciara and Alex and the way they all listened and empathized. 

I really hope they do better in the future. 

Edited by Rambunctiouscurls
  • Love 2
On 2/15/2022 at 11:02 AM, RedDelicious said:

The group conversation was a nice touch but it was too white savior for me. Production should have focused on the cast being jerks, and they didn't. Instead the cast was given an opportunity to think out loud and make themselves look better by way of the conversation when truly, in July 2021, they should have damn well known the way they were treating Mya as a newcomer and as a full fledged castmate wasn't cool.

Lindsey wanted dick, Paige wanted Mya out of her bed so Andrea could crawl in, and Andrea should have been nicer her, Alex wasn't paying attention to what Mya was doing and turned off the oven and instead we got a giant conversation about being called the wrong name. FFS, I just got back from my orthodontist and they called me Jennifer the entire time I was there, when my picture and my name are on my patient record on the screen right in front of them. I have been called the wrong name my entire life and I ranted on this pretty extensively over on the RHoNY board. I work in healthcare and wear a nametag and people still call me the wrong name. It makes me feel insignificant and I don't know why it has been going on for over 40 years but this isn't about me.

It's true Ciara didn't have these problems when she came into the group, but she also came in with a buddy (Luke) and made friends on her own. She was like original Carole Radziwill, the cool girl with the great ass. Mya came in mostly on her own and she was doing so great and suddenly it all came crashing down. I loathe these people. 

(side note, I have a THING for Ashkenazi dudes, like Joseph Gordon Levitt)

Thank you for sharing that, Reddelicious. I can imagine how unbelievably frustrating that is. Because it has happened to me my entire life too.

Allow me to rant just a bit-

I work in the legal field and I am named exactly the same name as the major court county we are in, and people still misspell and mispronounce my name every day and some of them are co-workers who see my name in my signature, email address and on zoom meetings and hello, the County of our city and Court. multiple times a day. The worst is when they share that inaccurate information with others. I tell them it’s like the county. Ok, It’s like the character in Robin Hood. And in Gilded Age. 😂 

We are supposed to care about accuracy and details and maybe they just don’t care like these housemates. I can tell you, it has made me pay more attention to people’s names and spelling. Thanks for letting me vent! 😂

I know it was way more than that and all the little things just added up to where that was the straw that broke the camel’s back. 

I expected them to continue treating Mya like they did Jules which was so awful!

Maybe Ciara starting the discussion helped as she is part of the in crowd with Paige and Amanda. 

Edited by Rambunctiouscurls
  • Love 2
On 2/15/2022 at 4:21 PM, heatherchandler said:

.They were horrific to Jules.  They told her to leave.  F---- Carl, he was the leader of that BS.

Paige pretending to cry was really the topper.  

To me, they didn't seem receptive, I felt like they were annoyed that they had to go through the motions of trying to force out a few tears and say something nice.  

I completely dislike and distrust Carl. Doing that to Jules was cruel and there was no reason for it. I don't get why everyone is attracted to him.  So what if he's tall? He's a douche.

• Love 6