Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E07: Episode 7

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, libgirl2 said:

I think how young she looked really drove home the point that she is a child herself. Plus, we are so used to teenagers being played my people in their late 20s or older, we forget, kids really do look like kids. 

Most 16 year old girls have a woman's body though.

11 hours ago, Suzn said:

Most 16 year old girls have a woman's body though.

She was costumed in such shapeless clothes, whatever shape she had was obscured, which definitely added to that impression. 

• Love 1
On 5/2/2022 at 1:25 AM, Badger said:

The last scene is Nancy doing morning orders very successfully.

This for sure they shouldn't have cut. When Sr Julienne came to her to tell her how successful she was, I was "thanks for not showing us !!"

• Like 1
  • Love 2
On 5/2/2022 at 1:35 PM, Sarah 103 said:

Was it just me, or did anyone else think Carol looked like a young Valerie Bertinelli (Barbara on the original 1970s One Day at a Time)?

I can see it

• Love 1
On 5/2/2022 at 9:51 PM, txhorns79 said:

It just seems crazy to me that someone thought the best idea for Carole would be to move her into her own apartment with a baby.  I get that it's Britain and attitudes were a lot different back then, but she's 16 and looks 12

Its call "Aging out of care", too old to be in foster care but they should have set her up with a social worker. Sr Francis shouldn't have been her only point of care.

On 5/4/2022 at 5:20 PM, EllaWycliffe said:

Yeah, I admit I was kind of surprised that her clearly well into puberty boyfriend was interested in a girl who really didn't look like a woman yet.

There's a word for that.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, Blackie said:

This for sure they shouldn't have cut. When Sr Julienne came to her to tell her how successful she was, I was "thanks for not showing us !!"

Yeah I was like "Is this some sort of passive aggressive joke, Sr. Julienne? Because Nancy fucked it up hard"

3 minutes ago, Blackie said:

There's a word for that.

Yes there is but no one went there and instead were all very much "of course the boys are sniffing around" as though she looked like Nancy. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I think the, "Of course the boys are sniffing around" was because the boys thought, since  Carole had a baby, that she would, "go all the way."  It wasn't as easy back then as it is now for a boy to find a girl willing to do that. 

That also explains the boy almost pushing her out of the car after their date.  He was just interested in her for the free sex and had no interest in hearing any complications.  Just as he thought an unmarried girl with a baby was "easy," he would expect her to be sleeping with other boys and would never believe he was the father of the baby.

Carole's situation was heartbreaking.  From her point of view, she just wanted to ease the loneliness and feel loved.  She will definitely need birth control and lots of emotional support.

Also, her body type was right in style for the Twiggy period. Carole could bleach her hair, buy some white go-go boots and get a job as a dancer.

Edited by JudyObscure
  • Love 11
On 5/2/2022 at 7:21 AM, 3 is enough said:

I was a bit confused- did Mr Corbett fall asleep or have some sort of medical incident when the crash occurred?  At first I thought he was sleepy, but when they showed his eyes rolling back it seemed he was passing out.  Given that he was in front and took the brunt of the impact I assume he will not make it. 

The impact wasn't at the front though. It was at the side of the car where Turner and Sr Julienne were. I'm also guessing he won't make it, but due to the medical issue that caused the crash, possibly combined with the injuries from the crash, but not because he took the worst of the impact.

On 5/2/2022 at 9:25 AM, Daff said:

That was explained as him being just as sleep-deprived as his wife (from the hip pain). Early in the travel, it showed him nodding off, and he took a bottle of pills out of his pocket. Shortly after he took one, he lost consciousness. That was also the era of rampant amphetamine use (abuse). 

I thought the point of the wife saying he was sleep-deprived, saying he'd always been spacey, and him complaining about being old were both red herrings/ only there to explain why they both ignored his symptoms. But his comment about writing off the headaches due to bad glasses and the moment he spaced out with Sr Hilda were indicators to the audience they were wrong/ignoring something serious. Hence the seizure on the train. From the first scene with him I thought it was leading to brain tumor town.

• Useful 2
  • Love 8
On 5/4/2022 at 7:55 PM, libgirl2 said:

I think how young she looked really drove home the point that she is a child herself. Plus, we are so used to teenagers being played my people in their late 20s or older, we forget, kids really do look like kids. 

The really scary part is when you’re out in traffic and see them behind the wheel, not paying any attention to the road!

• Love 1

Yes, let’s paint all teenage drivers with the same brush. Most teens I’ve seen are very careful because it took them so much to get the privilege. I’ve seen way more distracted driving by adults with years of experience. And don’t get me started on the elderly who are doped up on a million meds and can’t hear or see well anymore, but by God, don’t take away their licence!

• Applause 3
7 minutes ago, Shermie said:

And don’t get me started on the elderly who are doped up on a million meds and can’t hear or see well anymore, but by God, don’t take away their licence!

They have better lobbyists.

I personally am all for mandatory competency testing for people 65 and up. And I am not that far away from that age myself.

• Like 2
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, EllaWycliffe said:

They have better lobbyists.

I personally am all for mandatory competency testing for people 65 and up. And I am not that far away from that age myself.

don't paint all us oldsters with the same brush either please

• Love 7
On 5/2/2022 at 5:43 PM, Badger said:

The coffeeshop he and Violet were in was the same one he was in when he had scabies.  He obviously likes it there.

This made me LOL!  Scabies in a coffee shop and liking it!  😂

On 5/3/2022 at 11:20 AM, Shermie said:

And was his name Lionel? Lionel a train engineer? Okay.

Yeah, that was just too perfect!  Kudos to the creative writer who came up with that one!  

• Love 2
On 5/4/2022 at 7:55 PM, libgirl2 said:

That was my feeling as well--I taught at an all girls high school for years, and she's how most 15-16 year olds look in my experience. I think some of it is also that we're used to seeing movie teens dressed really well and with impeccable make-up and hair and not the more unpracticed looks of most teens. So even actors who are young look older/more mature on screen. 

• Like 2