Type keyword(s) to search

From - General Discussion

AnimeMania
  • Start Topic

S01.E09: Into the Woods

Boyd and Sara journey deeper into the forest than Boyd has ever gone, encountering new and terrifying mysteries; Jim's confidence in the radio tower begins to wane; an unexpected tragedy causes Donna to unravel; Kenny and Kristi share a moment.

Original Airdate: April 3, 2022 
p21200321_e_h8_aa.jpg
p21200321_e_v13_aa.jpg

• Love 1

That was the first episode that I found disappointing.

I don’t like when a show introduces a new character out of nowhere and then kills him off and suddenly all the other characters are talking about how sad they are he’s dead and about what a great guy he was. Making sure we knew how much diarrhea the dead guy always had was an interesting choice. 

When they said he was making jokes about the tower, I thought they meant the tower that Tabitha dreamed of. 

Did Julie close the door behind her when she dumped out that last bucket of dirt?

• Love 3
On 4/3/2022 at 5:57 AM, oldCJ said:

I don’t like when a show introduces a new character out of nowhere and then kills him off and suddenly all the other characters are talking about how sad they are he’s dead and about what a great guy he was.

Right!!  I'm thinking "I don't care about this guy" and the fact that we spent time with all of these upset people was not interesting.  I did wonder if Donna had to bury all the dead Colony House people by herself since everyone else was in town, complaining.

Between the lights, the horn and the rocking, it seemed like Boyd and Sara were transported to a ship at sea!  LOL.

On 4/4/2022 at 12:28 AM, LittleIggy said:

Liked Jade’s cat tee shirt!

My favorite part of the episode - Jade ranting while wearing that cute tee shirt and Kenny's mom verbally smacking him about whining.

• Love 3

Believe it or not I tuned into this show because I was listening to Howard Stern and he was saying that he really liked it. That and I’m a huge Harold Perrineau fan. I thought the first few episodes were kind of ‘meh’. Wasn’t a fan of the acting or the character tropes. But I think it’s kind of gotten into its groove lately and I’m really enjoying it. Like what’s been mentioned above - it’s like a hybrid of Wayward pines and Lost. With a little David Lynch thrown in. Not sure how this season is going to wrap up. Has the show been renewed? I just hope they answer some questions and don’t leave it completely up in the air. I loved the show Yellowjackets but once I heard it was renewed for several seasons I was disappointed because I hate prolonging mystery shows like this. Because invariably the show loses steam and becomes a rambling mess. I guess we’ll see with this one. 

1 hour ago, Tipsymcstagger said:

Believe it or not I tuned into this show because I was listening to Howard Stern and he was saying that he really liked it.

That makes me reconsider watching it.

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

I hope that if they renew the show they do some episodes on how some of the main characters got to this place. I liked Boyd’s back story. And - on an unrelated note - was kind of intrigued at how much the actress who played his wife looked like Julie Christie…one of my faves. 

S01.E10: Oh, the Places We'll Go

(Season Finale)

Boyd draws strength from an unlikely source; Jim's radio tower yields consequences which rock him to his very core; the hole that Tabitha has been digging leads her somewhere, and to someone, she could never have expected.

Original Airdate: April 10, 2022
p21200324_e_v13_aa.jpg
p21200324_e_h8_aa.jpg

• Love 1

Well if anyone was expecting any kind of answers - forget about it!

I was waiting for someone to sabotage the radio tower; was glad that didn't happen.  I was also thinking the spider bites would transform Boyd into one of the "monsters" - could still happen, I guess.   I liked Jade praying with Kenny's mom and figured that meant doom for Jade (glad it didn't).

Lots of silliness though - the webs, the spiders.  

The voice on the radio warning Jim was creepy.   Boyd being trapped in a chimney? also creepy.

Victor!!!

Overall verdict on the series - meh.  Started out really strong but petered off at the end.  I would still watch S2 though, if we get one.

• Like 1
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, raven said:

Well if anyone was expecting any kind of answers - forget about it!

I was waiting for someone to sabotage the radio tower; was glad that didn't happen.  I was also thinking the spider bites would transform Boyd into one of the "monsters" - could still happen, I guess.   I liked Jade praying with Kenny's mom and figured that meant doom for Jade (glad it didn't).

Lots of silliness though - the webs, the spiders.  

The voice on the radio warning Jim was creepy.   Boyd being trapped in a chimney? also creepy.

Victor!!!

Overall verdict on the series - meh.  Started out really strong but petered off at the end.  I would still watch S2 though, if we get one.

You wrote just about everything I'd have written.

It feels like they ran out of time to do a proper first season finale. If we have to wait until December as we will for Yellowjackets, I may forget all the unanswered questions.

I'm okay with all the mystic elements except the spiders. Too much like Stephen King's IT for my taste. Still resentful of those 1000 pages.

Still waiting on another season of Day 5, but I know that's never happening and I don't want From to go that way.

Edited by WaltersHair
  • Love 1

I wish this would have been like Severance where before the season finale you knew there would be another season to address the cliffhanger. I feel bad for Harold Perrineau, seems he is always doomed in series (I know he isn’t dead, but I am concerned for him). So Victor is some sort of bridge between whoever is running the place and the townspeople. I wasn’t as meh on the finale as others, it appears. Although I was hoping for aliens. My friend thought Boyd was on a boat. I am hopeful for the next season, although it probably won’t be until next February. 

• Love 2

I hope there will be another season. I didn’t expect any answers in this finale. The bus arriving was creepy…

I knew digging that hole was a bad idea. 
The spider webbed forest made me think of Mirkwood.

• Love 1

Gah. Seriously show? I am left wholly ungratified. I feel like that was ten wasted hours for absolutely zero payoff.

giphy.gif&f=1&nofb=1

Show, that was plain 8941d1f17ae21527224be697f4f89b6d.gif&f=1

I should've listened to my usual instincts and waited until the whole season had aired before investing any time in it. I guess if S2 transpires I'll just wait until it's finished airing then binge it... but only if reviews are decent (50/50 odds on that right now).

And we got a coach arrival...but I'm too peeved to care quite frankly.

I shall now stomp off away grumpily from this place whilst muttering under my breath. Hmmphh. Boo.

unimpressed.gif.feb3584ad6c157794266fa0a

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, HerkyJerky said:

Did you notice the bus said "Grand Rapids Charter" on the front? Poor Kenny!  More than likely the doc's fiancee will be on it. 😪

It said "Grand Rapids Runner." I rewound it to check, though I'm not sure of the difference between a charter and a runner.

• Love 2

Man…if this is how the series ends I’ll be pi**ed. Overall I liked this show. It had its slower moments but I enjoyed the slow burn tbh. Plus I’m a huge Harold Perrineau fan and would watch about anything he’s in. Welp…I guess I’ll have to wait and see what happens. 😡

• Love 1

From Season 2 on Epix will be 10 episodes. Production will commence this summer in Halifax, Nova Scotia, with an expected air date in 2023. In season two, hidden truths about the nature and terrifying origins of the town begin to emerge, even as life for its residents is plunged into chaos by the arrival of mysterious newcomers.

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
(edited)

Episode 1: I don't know, that girl seems too old to not understand what is going on. I know it's often hard to work with younger kids, but that took me out of it a little.

I'm not sure if I like the murderous young woman. Seems a bit much all at once. I know they have to set up mysteries, but maybe they should have waited till episode 2 for that one. There is enough going on.

Those dumbasses really didn't remove the spike trap? I was thinking about that the whole time. Then how did they even get out to the crash site? Did they drive the other way around? Why wouldn't they take the same way back? Maybe drive on the rims as far as possible? not like you can drive anywhere after anyway.

Other than that very interesting and intriuging.

Episode 2: Are those talismans limited? Can they just carve new ones? The sherif was just carrying one around with him, so they can't be that rare. If they are not limited, wouldn't it be a good idea to put one on every room? In case the house is breached that should still protect the room, right? I mean if it protects an RV, it seems any enclosed space will do. That would have prevented what happened at the hospital. Also maybe two talismans at the doors in case one falls down. Redundancy, people!

Episode 3: Man, putting somebody in the box for the monsters to tear them apart is pretty assholish. If you sentence somebody to death, at least make it quick.

The decision where you live can't be changed? Why? That seems stupid and arbitrary.

The body was what convinced asshole-guy? That would be about the easiest thing to fake of this whole thing. He didn't even check if his friend was really dead or just pretending.

Episode 4: I don't really buy that anybody could survive before there were the talismans and apperently the sherif only found them quite recently. Yet the rpriest survived long enough to bury hundreds of people? That doesn't make much sense.

Episode 5: These people have no idea what Schrödinger's cat is about. This kind of pseudo-philosophy in shows really grinds my gears.

Episode 6: A priest should really know that there may be 73 books in the bible, but that you really can't lieve through the 74th book, because there are already a bunch of other books. The catholic church just chose to not include them in the bible. Quite a few because they didn't like the message. For example there is one that says that when the rightous people in heaven saw how people were suffering in hell, they'd petition god to let them into heaven and god would. That of course would have cut into the churches selling of indulgences and thus profits, so out it went. Hopefully it turns out that he isn't a real priest. Otherwise: Booo.

Episode 7: So subdeviding a house does work. Did nobody think of that before? Are there a limited number of talismans? I wish this show would be clearer. I have no problem with not knowing what the characters don't know, but what the characters know, I'd like to know, too.

Episode 8: So we are doing the old "I'm mad at you, won't listen to you and am slapping away the important clue and after we've all calmed down, we won't circle back around, because reasons." Ugh that's such an exhausting trope.

So I guess sherif found the talismans in a cave? Looked like there were a bunch. Also might be worth a try to recreate them.

Episode 10: This gives more and more Lost vibes and that isn't a good thing. Might wait till the whole thing is concluded and not watch further season as they come out. I give this 50/50 getting cancelled and ending on a cliffhanger or ending as intended but still not giving answers to any of the mysteries. So 100% chance of disappointment. I liked the season but I don't like being jerked around.

Edited by PurpleTentacle
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Love 2
On 5/24/2022 at 9:05 PM, PurpleTentacle said:

That doesn't make much sense.

I've been thinking that a lot, starting with the first episode and why the windows in the house where the mother and daughter were killed were not nailed shut. 

• Like 1

I'm glad this got renewed. I can't handle anymore cancelled series that end on cliffhangers!

First episode of S2 was intense. Lots of questions need to be answered. Who was that old guy that Boyd found? He sounded and looked a lot like Victor..

It's all very confusing for now. Hopefully the remaining episodes can shed more light on these...

• Like 1

S02.E01: Strangers In A Strange Land
fromphotos1-1080x720.jpg.webp    
In Sheriff Boyd's absence, Donna and Kenny struggle to manage the chaos as a busload of unwitting newcomers arrives in town; Victor and Tabitha go on a chilling journey through the nightmarish labyrinth of tunnels beneath the town.

Premiere Date: April 23, 2023    MGM+    9pm

Eh, I'm just exhausted by all the mystery boxes and cliffhangers. I think I'll try and wait till the hole season is out and binge it. We'll see if I cave beforehand.

So how did a guy shackled to a wall throw a rope down that shaft? And is he constantly schackled there? How does he stay upright? There better be more to that...

• Like 6
  • Useful 2
10 hours ago, PurpleTentacle said:

So how did a guy shackled to a wall throw a rope down that shaft? And is he constantly schackled there? How does he stay upright? There better be more to that...

Ugh, didn't even think of that. Good catch!

I must say, this first episode of the second season was very good, enjoyed it. Let's hope they keep them coming. But also hope we get at least some answers this season. At least we know where they are during the day now.

Chained up man: "Let me tell you about what else is going on here."

Boyd: "Let's change the subject."

picard-meme-facepalm.jpg?auto=webp&fit=c

Who writes this shit?

On 4/27/2023 at 2:01 PM, Cranberry said:

We can't know that until we know if he's actually alone up there. Maybe someone else threw the rope down the hole.

Well now we know.

• Fire 1
  • LOL 1

I like this show. I don't really care about getting the "big answers" now; I enjoy all the little reveals and the character moments. However, I really hate it when someone cuts another person off mid-explanation, or when characters are vague or withhold information when there's no reason to. If characters are sitting around for hours with nothing to do, they should be filling each other in on what's happening in their individual storylines. I don't want to see this become a case of "they could have figured everything out if they just worked together," because that's lazy. Good writers can make the characters do everything "right" but still run into roadblocks (like with Tabitha following the wires, Boyd and Sara setting out to explore the forest with talisman protection, or the guys building the radio tower).

• Like 5

S02.E02: The Kindness Of Strangers
from-episode-202-the-kindness-of-strange
A tense night in the diner as the residents and newcomers wait for sunrise; fear permeates the wreckage beneath the Matthews house, as Jim and Tom struggle to keep a panicked bus passenger quiet.

Premiere Date: April 30, 2023    MGM+    9pm

On 4/30/2023 at 7:02 PM, Cranberry said:

I really hate it when someone cuts another person off mid-explanation

Boyd literally said "Let's change the subject." when the chained guy was trying to give him information about what's going on. I didn't make that up. It was like the writers telling us "fuck you!".

There was no reason for it and it was completely out of character. I don't pull out the Picard facepalm lightly.

I am extremely annoyed.

• Like 2
  • Fire 1
On 5/1/2023 at 11:01 PM, PurpleTentacle said:

Boyd literally said "Let's change the subject." when the chained guy was trying to give him information about what's going on. I didn't make that up. It was like the writers telling us "fuck you!".

There was no reason for it and it was completely out of character. I don't pull out the Picard facepalm lightly.

I am extremely annoyed.

Yeah I agree too! Every single character is having so much going on and it's just adding to the mystery. Jade is seeing symbols, Tabitha is now seeing twins, Boyd has these strange worms now plus he's got the health problems too, Ethan can see the boy in white, Victor's past also may have clues but he doesn't talk about what he knows, Jim hears the voice on the radio but I don't remember him talking about this to others yet and we're still yet to see how Sara is connected to all this.. I understand they need to build up the suspense and can't just go answering questions so soon since we're only early on in S2 but I do hope it all ties together before the show gets cancelled or anything...

(edited)

S02.E03: Tether

16833715611980.jpg

Kenny and Ellis make a grisly discovery out in the forest; Boyd struggles with the reality of what's happening to him.

Premiere Date: May 7, 2023    MGM+    9pm

Edited by AnimeMania

S02.E04: This Way Gone

FromEpisode4s.thumb.jpg.98cfed48fe3db918cb98926d2c68e39e.jpg

As Boyd's condition grows more alarming, Sara's return to town puts him in a difficult position; Jim shares a troubling new theory about the town.

Premiere Date: May 14, 2023    MGM+    9pm

I like how the show keeps bringing up the various theories. Purgatory/they're already dead was obviously going to be the first thing fans suspected (it was the main theory as Lost was airing -- it didn't turn out to be the case, but the final reveal was close enough for a lot of people). Tabitha brought that up in season one. Now Boyd suspects it's all a dream (which his wife also believed), and Jim is on the "it's an experiment" train, both of which are big fan theories. Here are the others (plus this one, which is neat).

It's felt like these first four episodes were setting up a lot of dominoes. Apparently from episode five onwards, things really ramp up. The actress who plays Julie said that episode six is especially crazy.

• LOL 1