• mushrooms
  • raw tomatoes
  • mayo or any food containing mayo
  • pickle relish (but I do like pickles)
  • sour cream
  • canned tuna
  • any kind of bean
  • broccoli
  • any kind of white potato that isn't a french fry (and the fries must be straight cut. NO CRINKLES)
  • any beef in any form that isn't a steak, a burger, or smoked brisket
  • eggplant
  • un-toasted sliced bread. I can't take mushy bread.
  • avocados
  • bananas

I'm with you on the bolded. And it's almost always texture, except mayo, which is its own category of gross.

Canned cranberry sauce.

Slimy, jiggly, looks like old blood and it retains the SHAPE OF THE CAN!!!!

Worst "food" ever.

Totally agree! I hate cranberries to begin with, but that jelled crap in the can is disgusting. My husband likes to keep small cans in the house because he slices some off and puts it in his turkey sandwiches. So gross. Just the sight of it makes me squeamish. I can't even say what it reminds me of...

• Love 2

Totally agree! I hate cranberries to begin with, but that jelled crap in the can is disgusting. My husband likes to keep small cans in the house because he slices some off and puts it in his turkey sandwiches. So gross. Just the sight of it makes me squeamish. I can't even say what it reminds me of...

LOL, LOVE the canned cranberry sauce! If any other kind shows up at Thanksgiving, I am not a happy camper. 

• Love 5

I'm mildly allergic to tomatoes if I get too much I get very drowsy and fall asleep. I used to have gazpacho or a bloody and konk out when I realized this.

I don't like horseradish and it sickens me it used to be ok.

Coconut water disgusts me and is very popular.

I have to really be I. The mood for any type of fruit even fresh or homegrown. I get sometimes good quality fruit through work and often don't eat it.

I have the cilantro aversion where it tastes like soap. It's i heard a genetic thing that to some people it tastes like soap and it does to to me and is overpowering.

I hate corned beef and it tastes and smells like potpourri to me.

• Love 1

If you grow up in Texas and don't like Mexican food, you might as well tell people you're a child molester. I like some of it now, but only after I moved away.

I hated tomatoes for 30 years, but now love them. I will never like olives. Ever.

I don't like weird combinations of food. During the short period of my life when people would treat me to a new, expensive, trendy restaurant, I always felt bad because I would see their disappointment as I ordered a salad.

I cannot stand pot roast. My friends tell me their recipe is different. No it isn't.

Mine is chocolate. I have a weird relationship with it. I don't mind if it's a small part of some dish (like chocolate chip cookies) but I would never eat it as a main component of the dish (chocolate/candy bars, chocolate cake, etc). And I especially don't like chocolate ice cream.

I also don't eat any seafood. If it came from any body of water, I'm not touching it.

I am with the few that can't stand tomatoes themselves (it's the inside that grosses me out still), but loves ketchup and tomato paste and likes tomato soup.

I have loved PB&Js so much I took nothing but PB&J sandwiches for lunch for six grades straight. I eventually tried school lunches, but I still enjoy a good PB&J.

I like jellies and jams, and some preserves, but I have to be in the mood for Jell-O. I prefer the homemade Jell-O to the pre-made stuff.

I enjoy dipping my Wendy's French fries into my Frosty- something about the hot/cold thing, maybe. Or maybe it's a texture thing. I don't do it all the time, but it tastes good to me and I'll do it now and again.

I prefer crackers to chips, mainly because I eat the chips too quickly. I can power thru a bag of chips in a sitting if I'm not careful, but a box of crackers can last a couple of weeks.

I have always been super picky, but since marriage and having kids, I have tried foods I wouldn't have tried as a kid.

Some are:

*Fried okra-- had some at a grocery store (they make food fresh and it was a giveaway) and I surprised myself  by liking it. I don't think I could eat it "regular" due to the slime factor.

*Spinach--I will throw that stuff in like at a Genghis Grill or eat dishes Florentine; Mr. Actionmage only likes it raw.

*Mushrooms--Now I recently had some in a dish at a diner that looked a bit slimy/slick, but I ate them anyway. ::knocks wood:: Not sick yet.

Despite my enjoyment of spinach, I'm not sure about grape leaves. I had grape leaves stuffed with meat and rice before, and it was good, but I think it is the texture I need to deal with.

I am with the few that can't stand tomatoes themselves (it's the inside that grosses me out still), but loves ketchup and tomato paste and likes tomato soup.

When I'm eating them raw in a salad, the middle has to be taken out and the flesh has to be cut into very small pieces (and it helps that there's salad dressing on them), but I can eat big chunks of them cooked in many different recipes. I've seen people bite into them like apples and it makes me shudder.  Blech.  I love tomato products, too, including sun dried tomatoes.

• Love 1

I watch people eat poached or fried eggs with a runny yolk, dipping things into it and they appear to be enjoying themselves immensely. I've only recently gotten into scrambled eggs (with cheese and diced vegetables), so these folks are on an advanced level of egg consumption that my stomach just can't comprehend.

• Love 6

Two weird things we do around here that I wonder if others do as well:

Mr. LB likes to put potato chips in his sandwiches. I've never seen anyone do that until I met him. The funny thing is that the first time his sister visited us and stayed over, she made a sandwich one day and did the same thing.

I like ham and swiss sandwiches, and I also like pickles. Sometimes I just take a slice of ham and a slice of cheese and wrap them around a dill pickle spear and eat it that way. Mr. LB thinks that's weird.

Nothing wrong with either of those things.

In my family potato chip sandwiches are a special treat, especially with white bread. French fry sandwiches are delicious as well, I highly recommend trying both.

The dill pickle with cheese and ham is right up my mother's ally, food wise.

As for my odd likes and dislikes, I love bubble tea and plain crackers with nothing on them and fruit in savoury salads and mayonnaise with my bacon and eggs. I hate mushrooms, olives and corn.

• Love 1

I've never liked corned beef--as a kid, I would put tons of ketchup on it to make it tolerable. I was also the rare (non-allergic) kid who, if presented with a PB&J sandwich, would rather eat the plain bread. Also, I agree about liking tomato products but not raw tomatoes ( just didn't look like something I'd want to eat). Lastly, I find the smell of sauerkraut repulsive.

Edited by garnet
  • Love 1

I am a purebred second generation Polish immigrant, and it is basically a crime against humanity for me to hate the foods I hate, but here goes. Cabbage, especially kapusta, is disgusting. I hate kielbasa. Beets are an abomination. And don't even get me started on śledzie. Frankly, the only Polish food I do like are pierogi, and that's when I make them myself (which is a four day long affair), and I use potatoes/cheese/bacon, or drained cottage cheese/chives/black pepper. I always get roped into making kapusta and mushroom pierogi too, since I am the resident pierogi chef, and I hate my family for it.

• Love 1

I just stumbled onto this forum. Very interesting!

Just off the top of my head, I can't stand:

Onions, green onions, shallots and chives. I especially hate purple onions (aka red onions -- why are they called red?)  If I absolutely HAVE to use an onion, I get a very small yellow one and that's only if the recipe is pureed.

Coconut in any form (oil does not fool me!)

Fennel (although I like fennel seeds in Italian sausage)

Plain mayonnaise as a condiment on some type of sandwich

Black walnuts

Green peppers

Kimchee

Capers

I'm sure there are many more...

Sweet potatoes

Raw jalapenos

Edited by grisgris

Pickles! Hate them and everyone gives me a hard time about it, especially my four year old. I make him eat things he doesn't like so he can not process the fact that I don't even want to try a pickle. I ate them when I was little, 20+ years ago! Something triggered in my taste buds sine then that makes the smell of a pickle gag inducing. My 2 year old loves pickles as does my husband so I'm the odd one out. If I ever eat out fast food (rarely) I make sure to order something that doesn't have pickle on it. Cant stand the lingering taste or the smell and if I have to touch one for my kids, I make sure to scrub my hands with soap and water!

When I was very pregnant with my first I went to Jerseys Mikes to get subs for the husband and I. His I ordered with extra pickles and the teen aged employee said, "let me guess, this one is for you" you know, because a pregnant lady always wants pickles. Yuck!

Edited by Mountainair
  • Love 1

My people! I'm so glad I found this forum.

I despise seafood of any kind (fresh or saltwater, fish, lobster, shrimp, crab, etc.); my family used to take a vacation to the beach every summer and I would eat hamburger or chicken at every meal.

Coconut. Oddly, I like the smell of it, but I hate the taste and the fact that it gets bigger as you chew it up.

Curry.

Mushrooms. I don't eat fungus.

Applesauce. The texture makes me gag just thinking about it.

Raw tomatoes. I love cooked tomatoes and ketchup, but raw just makes me sick.

I hate cereal and milk, so I eat my cereal dry.

I eat nut butters straight from the jar with spoon (it's okay, I live alone). I hate PB&J.

I used to hate avocado and blue cheese, now I love both.

• Love 2

I will not eat any fish or seafood. Seafood reminds me of insects "yes, I'll eat that giant spider, I mean crab"."

I cannot eat mushrooms. If you ever dissected cow brains they are the same texture (sorry to be so graphic!).

I won't eat cheese that is sweetened. To my taste buds, cheese is a savory, not a sweet. So I won't eat cheesecake, cheese strudel, sweetened cream cheese, etc.

Circus peanuts- just the thought of the smell of them makes me nauseous.

Coffee or tea- I guess I don't get why you would want your beverages hot. Coffee grounds smell ok but I dislike the smell & taste of coffee or tea.

I will not eat any fish or seafood. Seafood reminds me of insects "yes, I'll eat that giant spider, I mean crab"."

I cannot eat mushrooms. If you ever dissected cow brains they are the same texture (sorry to be so graphic!).

I have found my people!  I wholeheartedly agree with both of these.  The cow brains reference is spot on.  Fungus in general is a no, unless we're talking yeast.  

I cannot stand mayo.  Even typing the word makes me a little uneasy. 

I want to like avocados, but I just can't with the texture. 

I'm not a big fan of the taste of beef. Unless there's no pink, all I taste is iron, and it's not pleasant.

Actually meat in general is not my favorite unless there's some sort of topping or sauce where I can't actually taste the meat.  Chicken wings are a vehicle for buffalo sauce.

Eggs.  Mostly just the yolks.  Blech.  I don't mind the whites or eggs mixed into things like quiche.   

Rosemary tastes like a pine tree and ruins everything it's in.  On the other hand, I could put cilantro on anything and eat the hell out of it. 

Beets taste like dirt. Other than that I love vegetables and pretty much every bean.  I disklike garbanzos whole, but will happily eat an entire tub of hummus.

Edited by janestclair

I love seafood, so I eat it all the time, but this reminded me of when I went to Australia a very long time ago. We kept seeing something called a Moreton Bay Bug on menus at restaurants, & when we finally saw one, it looked like a giant cockroach. No way were going to eat one of those things, they were gross. Finally, on our last night there, we decided to get brave & eat one. It was sooooo good, we couldn't believe it. We kicked ourselves all the way home because if we had just tried the damn thing earlier, we could have been eating them the whole time we were there. So I guess this is a "don't judge a book by it's cover" food edition. LOL

• Love 3

Some things I hate:

Olives. I hate them. Like to the annoying point where I can't just pick them off; the smell and taste lingers. Side story. I went on a date one time with this great looking guy who ordered me an extra dirty martini and I went to the bathroom and puked. I can drink gin or vodka like 007, but no.

Sweet potatoes: As a kid at Thanksgiving I was told I had to try the sweet potato casserole. I obliged but sadly didn't make it to the restroom that time and threw up all over my parents dining room. This was before hardwood was the must have flooring.

Edited by KnoxForPres
  • Love 3

I like sweet potato fries. But put sugar & marshmallows on it & blech! It's another food I feel should be savory, not sweet.

About seafood- I'm terrified of spiders, well - anything with more than 4 legs. I cannot sit at a table with people cracking legs or shells open- so gross! I can't even look at photos of lobsters or crabs or shrimp.

• Love 1

I very much dislike crab. People are always like "but maybe if you just try THIS amazing crab dip." Nope, still nasty.

I find avocados and olives to be foul. I'm also part of the crew that doesn't like tomatoes in whole or chunk form. In sauce or whatever is fine, but big old tomato chunks in my salad is yuck. 

Mustard ruins whatever it gets near.

I refuse to even recognize artichokes as an edible food item. 

Bacon. Any pork, really. Hate. I'm a vegetarian now, but when I was little I'd get the worst stomach aches from the smell. Ugh.

Almonds. I like almond flavored things - almond milk, almond cookies - but not almonds.

Almonds. I like almond flavored things - almond milk, almond cookies - but not almonds.

I have the inverse feelings about bananas. I like bananas by themselves, but don't like bananas in things, or anything banana-flavored

Edited by spaceytraci1208
  • Love 3

I have the inverse feelings about bananas. I like bananas by themselves, but don't like bananas in things, or anything banana-flavored

I also like bananas, but not banana flavoring.  I feel the same way about oranges - love them, don't like the flavoring.   There are always a ton of orange Starburst left in the candy bowl in my office.

• Love 4

The one thing that I can say I will not eat, is ice cream with nuts in it.  You get the melt in your mouth creamy ice cream, and then are left with a cold soggy pecan to chew on for a few seconds before you take the next bite. What the hell is that all about?

Other than that, I don't hate any normal food. There are some challenging foods that I prefer not to take the challenge, you know, like the odd parts of animals that you typically don't find in the meat case at the supermarket and all sorts of things we fish out of the ocean, but mostly I just have foods I choose last off of the menu. (Oh, and Miracle Whip. But I'm not sure that counts as a normal food.)

For some reason, I've never liked corn meal products. Per my mom, this is a dislike that goes all the way back to when I was less than a year old. I make rice with my northern Italian meals instead of polenta, and I don't care for grits with my breakfast regardless of how much butter I put on them.  However, I spent a couple weeks in Pensacola Beach Florida for work a couple years ago, and by the time I was done, I had been converted to a shrimp and grits fan. I guess if you spice it up enough, I'm a fan.

I don't care for gamey meats. I'm perfectly comfortable with going through life with what the cow, chicken, turkey and pig can offer.  But I will occasionally check out a lamb or venison dish at a fancy restaurant, mostly because they tend to make very interesting pairings with wine.

Edited by JTMacc99
Other than that, I don't hate any normal food. There are some challenging foods that I prefer not to take the challenge, you know, like the odd parts of animals that you typically don't find in the meat case at the supermarket and all sorts of things we fish out of the ocean, but mostly I just have foods I choose last off of the menu. (Oh, and Miracle Whip. But I'm not sure that counts as a normal food.)

Same here, although I don't eat meat or poultry any longer, it isn't related to hating the taste of it.  Hell, if they ever invent the Stark Trek Replicator, I will wear that thing out (and my arteries with it) in about a week, I feel certain of it. " Prime rib and fried chicken, Computer and be lively about it!  Or in this case, not lively, which would the point for me!"  but until then, I'll be over here with an eggplant and fish instead  I mention this for a reason. Read on. 

But I don't have any true food hates or aversions.  Except for one and it's sort of one of those "Well, when you picked one to have, at least you picked one that really sucks for you!"  I hate all soy preparations of meat or cheese.  Hate 'em.  They are just wrong on so many levels to me.  The texture, oh lord the texture of Vegan Cheese is like a weight-loss aid to me.  "Wow, I was hungry ...and then I just looked at Vegan cheese in its melted state.  Blerg."  Thankfully I really like Tofu and I can get cheese made without animal rennet.  

If I were ever stuck on that deserted island of "for the sake of argument" and my choices were "hunt that animal or eat this 'chik'n' "  I'd eat the damned soy chicken, 

because for starters, I can't catch the flies that occasionally wander into my house and I doubt desperation would improve my aim, so fake meat it would be....and I'd be really thin and terribly bitter by the time rescue came.  

Edited by stillshimpy

I also like bananas, but not banana flavoring.  I feel the same way about oranges - love them, don't like the flavoring.   There are always a ton of orange Starburst left in the candy bowl in my office.

For me, it's strawberry.  I love the fruit, but don't like things that are strawberry flavored.

Ha! Grape flavored things get me. They make me gag. Purple skittles are of the devil. 

For me it's peaches. I love real peaches, but anything peach flavored (peach Schnappes! YEEEEEECH) tastes disgusting to me. I think it probably has something to do with artificial flavoring.

• Love 1

(peach Schnappes! YEEEEEECH) tastes disgusting to me.

It tastes disgusting to me as well, but it also brings me right back to my first Lehigh - Lafayette football game as if it were yesterday.

It's kind of a "Blech" but also "Aww... I miss college" experience for me.

(Oh, and Miracle Whip. But I'm not sure that counts as a normal food.)

I've always said that you can divide people into two groups - mayonnaise people and Miracle Whip people.  I think you like whatever you grew up with.  Mayonnaise is one of the few things I'm seriously fussy about.  I loathe Miracle Whip because it's sweet.  I want mayonnaise and it has to be Hellmann's.  Or home made but not sweet.

• Love 5

I would love to have all these apple cider and pumpkin treats, but why do they all have to have cinnamon in them?

'cause cinnamon is freakin' awesome ;)   My husband isn't a fan either.  I once ate so many cinnamon fireballs that I was sick as a dog the next day and yet, I still eat them.

As for mayo vs. Miracle Whip, when I was a kid we ate MW, but whenever I was at someone's house for lunch and they served something with mayo on/in it, I would politely eat it and not say anything.  As an adult, my husband hates MW, so now, I can eat both with no problem. 

• Love 1

I don't  have a very many food dislikes, but one odd thing I can't stand is "nacho cheese" Doritos (or nacho cheese anything).  I like plain Doritos, I like nachos, but I hate the having spices stuck all over the Doritos, I prefer to eat them plain, or dip in salsa.   

• Love 1

I've always said that you can divide people into two groups - mayonnaise people and Miracle Whip people.  I think you like whatever you grew up with.  Mayonnaise is one of the few things I'm seriously fussy about.  I loathe Miracle Whip because it's sweet.  I want mayonnaise and it has to be Hellmann's.  Or home made but not sweet.

I don't fit into either team.  I hate both.

• Love 3

'cause cinnamon is freakin' awesome ;)   My husband isn't a fan either.  I once ate so many cinnamon fireballs that I was sick as a dog the next day and yet, I still eat them.

Oh man, fireballs, I LOVE those things. I can't have all that sugar anymore, but I used to keep eating them & eating them & eating them until my tongue would swell, but I still couldn't stop. I think they're made with some kind of drug that you get addicted to. I used to buy the huge store sizes that were meant to sell them individually & eat them all by myself. 

Edited by GaT
  • Love 2

I hate green tea! Hate, hate, hate it! Why don't you just brew some grass and be done with it? Blech!

My hatred of green tea is so well known at work that this one older man always drank it when he sat next to me and then breathed my way so I would have to smell it. Eeew.

I hate green tea! Hate, hate, hate it! Why don't you just brew some grass and be done with it? Blech!

Sing it sister! I tried. I tried different brands. I tried mixing it in diluted proportions in black tea. I just can't. My kids oddly like it. Piglets! It reminds me of the tea I drank during pregnancy to strength & tone my uterus. I drank it like medicine. I agree, blech!
  • Love 1

But I don't have any true food hates or aversions.  Except for one and it's sort of one of those "Well, when you picked one to have, at least you picked one that really sucks for you!"  I hate all soy preparations of meat or cheese.  Hate 'em.  They are just wrong on so many levels to me.

I'm generally not a fan of "mock meat" but I must admit that I do sometimes enjoy gardein fake chicken. I just had curry vegan chicken salad using their "chick'n" at my Whole Foods and it was really good. I bought it from the deli case, shoved it in a challah bun and had a very tasty lunch.

I can't imagine it's a particularly uncommon dislike, but I can not stand any kind of fake whipped "cream" product. The thought of Cool Whip makes me gag.

I don't care for raw vegetables in general although I'm trying to get over it in an attempt to eat more healthfully.  That said, I agree with the late great George Carlin that tomatoes are still in their larval stage.  I purposely get them out of season when they don't taste like much of anything and then hide them in sandwiches.

I do not understand the appeal of Nutella.  It's not chocolatey enough to appeal as a sweet and it's not nutty enough to appeal as a butter.  It's just...there.

I do not understand the appeal of Nutella.  It's not chocolatey enough to appeal as a sweet and it's not nutty enough to appeal as a butter.  It's just...there.

I find Nutella too sweet actually, but I don't have a sweet tooth and cut the sugar in all recipes. I know lots of people addicted to it. I found myself addicted to a similar Green & Black's Dark Chocolate Hazelnut spread in the UK. I want my Nutella to be more chocolatey.