Type keyword(s) to search

Unpopular Food Likes/Dislikes: Table for One

Bastet
  • Start Topic

I hate peppers in any form/color.  And, no, you can’t “just pick them out”.  The flavor taints the whole dish.

My mother always liked to put peppers in things “for color”.  Who cares about the color, when you are ruining the taste?

The same applies for putting coffee in chocolate desserts. No, it doesn’t enhance the flavor of the chocolate; it ruins it.

• Love 5
28 minutes ago, Mittengirl said:

I hate peppers in any form/color.  And, no, you can’t “just pick them out”.  The flavor taints the whole dish.

My mother always liked to put peppers in things “for color”.  Who cares about the color, when you are ruining the taste?

The same applies for putting coffee in chocolate desserts. No, it doesn’t enhance the flavor of the chocolate; it ruins it.

I could have written this entire post! It's so nice not to be alone.

Hence why, growing up, if my parents made stuffed peppers, they'd just make me a separate hamburger and would give me a pickle on the side as a vegetable or something.

I DESPISE peppers.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Mittengirl said:

This is timely as I am reading this and eating a quesadilla from dinner or on Saturday. I hadn't touched it yet so I just heated it up at work, bit in and found to my utter horror it contains green peppers. And yeah that is all I taste.

13 hours ago, Mittengirl said:

Agreed 100%!  Coffee completely ruins chocolate desserts.

• Love 2
On 9/14/2016 at 7:24 PM, larapu2000 said:

French toast is disgusting.  It's like a wet, soggy waffle.  No thank you, I'll just have that deliciously crispy waffle instead.

The french toast I get a most restaurants is awful. The kind I make at home isn't. I just dip sandwich bread slices into a mix of eggs, sugar, milk, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and sometimes ground nutmeg; then I fry the slices in butter or canola/vegetable oil. Due to the sugar in the batter, the bread surfaces become slightly caramelized and crispy. It also gets around that whole problem of plain, flavorless, fluffy, doughy mass upon which you pour a bunch of syrup that distributes its sticky sweetening effects unevenly and messily.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Mittengirl said:

I use the cinnamon bread from Costco (Innkeepers?) to make French toast - deeelicious.

Thank you! You just reminded me that my grandmother used to do that and haven’t even thought about it in years! I was planning on go to Costco tomorrow so will get some!

• Love 1
On 10/24/2019 at 10:13 PM, chessiegal said:

Because it's fall, butternut squash is being pushed by my grocery store. I don't like it, not sure why.

I'm weird because I love pumpkin but really don't care for butternut squash.  It's been a while since I tried it, but from what I remember it was too dry and mealy for me.

On 10/24/2019 at 9:13 PM, chessiegal said:

Because it's fall, butternut squash is being pushed by my grocery store. I don't like it, not sure why.

I don't like butternut squash because the flavor generally seems somewhat anemic to me. Also because I once came fairly close to cutting off the tip of my finger while trying to cut up a raw one. DON'T DO IT, Y'ALL!

41 minutes ago, Ashforth said:

I don't like butternut squash because the flavor generally seems somewhat anemic to me. Also because I once came fairly close to cutting off the tip of my finger while trying to cut up a raw one. DON'T DO IT, Y'ALL!

Butternut squash is the ONE vegetable I will buy precut because it is such a pain in the ass.

• Love 4

I'm not a super picky eater, but there are some things I flat-out don't like:

Peppers of any variety

Raw tomatoes - cooked are OK as long as they're not super chunky - hate stewed tomatoes

Carrots/Celery unless they're cooked, and then only mixed in something

Mayo, unless it's in macaroni/potato salad, or egg salad, or deviled eggs

Miracle Whip...period

Root Vegetables - they taste like dirt to me

Mushrooms - not even in stuff

Salmon - way too fishy tasting

Avocado - can't stand the texture and flavor - won't eat guac either

Thousand Island Dressing

Rye Bread - don't like the strong taste

Soft cheese/bleu cheese

Lobster/In-Shell Crab - exception is Crab Cakes

Milk to drink -  I can't keep it down - same for flavored milk

Tofu  - again, the texture

Meat Pies - more about that below

Stuff that overly mixes sweet with savory - like garden salads with fruit, pineapple pizza, etc

Cole Slaw

Most organ meats

Carrot/Raisin Salad

Sweet bread (ie: cinnamon raisin bread)

Most pizza in general - I am fussy about it

Cottage Cheese

Yogurt - it does not agree with me

Cinnamon/Nutmeg/Similar Spices - give me heartburn

Putting sugar in foods that don't need it - a popular thing where I come from, where people put sugar in macaroni and potato salad, veggie dips, saurkraut, etc - ick

I live in a rural area with a high population of PA Dutch descendents, and so I am used to things a lot of people turn their nose up at, like Scrapple (but I won't eat it with maple syrup - nasty), Souse (even people in my area turn their nose up at it - it has to be made correctly, though, otherwise it's nasty), baked cabbage, ham hocks and cabbage (or green beans), chicken and waffles (not southern style - I couldn't eat it with honey or syrup, and bone in chicken), pickled red beet eggs (which are also delish when they're deviled), ring bologna/lebanon bologna (I don't like sweet, though), and others I'm likely forgetting.  People not from this area tend to freak out about "Pot Pie".  You'll likely find ham, beef, or chicken, but it has no crust.  It's made like a stew, with thick noodles that make it closer to southern-style chicken and dumplings.  Most restaurants will do an all-you-can-eat night and they frequently sell out.  You can always tell the people who aren't from this area when they freak out about it.  Someone trashed a local place on Yelp because they ordered chicken pot pie and got "soup with large gummy noodles".  Even within the state, the western portion doesn't know about it.  We had a boss once from Pittsburgh (her husband had been transfered to this area) and she freaked about getting chicken pot pie at a restaurant that was a bowl of "stuff".

I also like:

Black Licorice

Pork Rinds (only plain, though)/Cracklins

Liver (especially deep fried), but it has to be prepared well

Hash (corned or roast beef)

Spam (especially fried)

Corned Beef And Cabbage

Cabbage Rolls

Sourdough Bread

Ramen Noodles, but I drain the water after cooking and coat the noodles with butter, then sprinkle the flavor packet, and stir well

Other stuff I'm likely forgetting

On 6/30/2019 at 1:56 AM, BuyMoreAndSave said:

Score: 19

picky eater test.jpg

I don't like avocado but I LOVE guacamole!  Just like I can't stand cornbread but LOVE cornbread stuffing/hate peanut butter but LOVE Reese's Peanut Butter Cups.

Another item that should have been added to this list is cookies....even as a child I didn't like them, in fact I would eat the cream out and throw the cookies away.  (My sister would then beat my ass as a consequence, as they were usually her cookies!)

I like raw carrots but not cooked....never liked raisins and beets will literally have me throwing up.

Never liked zucchini or especially asparagus, yuck!

I'm always the one that makes a face at something but will be the first to go 'Mmmmm!' once tasting it lol.

Edited by Vixenstud
On 10/31/2019 at 10:54 AM, funky-rat said:

I'm not a super picky eater, but there are some things I flat-out don't like:

Peppers of any variety

Raw tomatoes - cooked are OK as long as they're not super chunky - hate stewed tomatoes

Carrots/Celery unless they're cooked, and then only mixed in something

Mayo, unless it's in macaroni/potato salad, or egg salad, or deviled eggs

Miracle Whip...period

Root Vegetables - they taste like dirt to me

Mushrooms - not even in stuff

Salmon - way too fishy tasting

Avocado - can't stand the texture and flavor - won't eat guac either

Thousand Island Dressing

Rye Bread - don't like the strong taste

Soft cheese/bleu cheese

Lobster/In-Shell Crab - exception is Crab Cakes

Milk to drink -  I can't keep it down - same for flavored milk

Tofu  - again, the texture

Meat Pies - more about that below

Stuff that overly mixes sweet with savory - like garden salads with fruit, pineapple pizza, etc

Cole Slaw

Most organ meats

Carrot/Raisin Salad

Sweet bread (ie: cinnamon raisin bread)

Most pizza in general - I am fussy about it

Cottage Cheese

Yogurt - it does not agree with me

Cinnamon/Nutmeg/Similar Spices - give me heartburn

That seems like a long list for someone who's not a "super picky eater".

Edited by Brookside
Because "that's seems" is just wrong!
  • LOL 6
  • Love 1
22 minutes ago, Brookside said:

That's seems like a long list for someone who's not a "super picky eater".

Perhaps at face value, but for example, I don't dislike all breads - just sweet ones, like cinnamon raisin bread.  And I tried to avoid TMI, but I don't eat Yogurt because it does horrible things to my digestive system, for example, and have similar problems with similar foods mentioned.  And some I questioned listing because I've mentioned them twice, like carrots/carrot raisin salad, but listed them separately anyway.  And for some, it's a texture thing, like Tofu/Avacado/Cottage Cheese.  I can't stand mayo on sandwiches because I don't like the taste, but I like sandwiches in general.  And I will eat mayo when it's mixed in with stuff like macaroni and potato salad, egg salad, deviled eggs, etc.  I love Mexican food, but prefer it to not be made overly spicy, again due to digestive issues.

To me, that's not being super picky.  I grew up with kids who refused to eat anything not made by their mother/grandmother, and wouldn't eat 98% of vegetables, about 80% of fruits, and only certain brands of some things.  That's super picky.  I don't abjectly turn my nose up at many things.  I love liver (provided it's not boiled - that's just nasty).  I will eat most kinds of meats out there (not a huge fan of seafood, but will eat some of it).  I like a fair amount of vegetables and fruits - some are hard for me to digest (carrots/celery), but I will eat veggies (lima beans, green beans, broccoli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, corn, etc) and fruit (not a huge fan of pears because of the texture and not a huge fan of blueberries or melon, but will eat a lot of other fruits).  Pizza is something I used to love, but really don't care much for anymore for some reason I can't explain.  I avoid pepperoni because it doesn't agree with me anymore and tends to get greasy, but I will eat pizza - just not with pineapple on it, or peppers/mushrooms.  So again, to me, not picky - just have a preference for certain things.  YMMV.

ETA: out of 60 foods on the above picky eaters list, there are 11 that I flat-out won't touch in any form.  Stuff like olives, raw fish, oysters, etc.  Again, I don't see that as being picky, but again, YMMV.

Edited by funky-rat
(edited)

Given how expansive the world of food is, I think being able to list the foods one won't eat, rather than having a list of foods one will, isn't being a picky eater - unless that list is quite extensive.  I once had a friend who ate maybe 15 things.  That's the extreme end of picky eating, but I think any time you'd have an easier time listing the types of X thing you like than the types you don't, you're picky on the subject.  And, as with most things, with food, ingredients you'd prefer not to eat, those you like some ways but not others, etc. are different than things you flat out won't eat in any form.

Edited by Bastet
On 10/31/2019 at 1:54 PM, funky-rat said:

I live in a rural area with a high population of PA Dutch descendents, and so I am used to things a lot of people turn their nose up at, like Scrapple (but I won't eat it with maple syrup - nasty), Souse (even people in my area turn their nose up at it - it has to be made correctly, though, otherwise it's nasty), baked cabbage, ham hocks and cabbage (or green beans), chicken and waffles (not southern style - I couldn't eat it with honey or syrup, and bone in chicken), pickled red beet eggs (which are also delish when they're deviled), ring bologna/lebanon bologna (I don't like sweet, though), and others I'm likely forgetting. 

Ha, I don't suppose you live in the Lancaster area?  My company is based in New Holland and so I have gotten to know that list of menu items you have here well from my numerous visits.

I do like the sweet bologna, though.  LOL.

32 minutes ago, larapu2000 said:

Ha, I don't suppose you live in the Lancaster area?  My company is based in New Holland and so I have gotten to know that list of menu items you have here well from my numerous visits.

I do like the sweet bologna, though.  LOL.

I live about 1.5 hours north.  Love the Lancaster area, but still don't like sweet bologna, lol.

Other Asian people look at me funny when I tell them I don't like rice.  I mean, I'll eat it, just not a lot.  They (especially immigrant "aunties" (i.e. women over 60)) think I'm really weird.  

11 minutes ago, PRgal said:

Other Asian people look at me funny when I tell them I don't like rice.  I mean, I'll eat it, just not a lot.  They (especially immigrant "aunties" (i.e. women over 60)) think I'm really weird.  

I'm not Asian, and I still get some odd looks whenever I turn down rice.  I don't dislike it, and even vaguely like brown or jasmine rice (white rice is just there as a neutral, neither good nor bad), but it's a completely unnecessary filler to me, and I stay away from carbs I don't love; I see no point to eating the ones I just think are fine.  So the only time I eat rice is to sop up something like curry.  And I often use cauliflower "rice" instead now since I like the taste of that just as much.

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I'm not Asian, and I still get some odd looks whenever I turn down rice.  I don't dislike it, and even vaguely like brown or jasmine rice (white rice is just there as a neutral, neither good nor bad), but it's a completely unnecessary filler to me, and I stay away from carbs I don't love; I see no point to eating the ones I just think are fine.  So the only time I eat rice is to sop up something like curry.  And I often use cauliflower "rice" instead now since I like the taste of that just as much.

My husband hates cauliflower, so I've been using riced broccoli - unless I'm eating on my own.  I'll eat quinoa and bulgur - I prefer that over rice.  

For really soupy things, I've always liked couscous. It sops up liquids really well.

My grandfather always refused to eat rice. He grew up in east Texas in the early 1900s. His dad worked in the oil fields and they were poor, so they often had white gravy and rice to eat. Once he had a choice, he wouldn't eat rice or white gravy.

• Love 2
On 1/4/2020 at 3:03 PM, PRgal said:

My husband hates cauliflower, so I've been using riced broccoli - unless I'm eating on my own.  I'll eat quinoa and bulgur - I prefer that over rice.  

I swear I cannot cook white rice to save my life,I tried making it in my insta pot nope  it turned out gluey ,I read that you should wash your rice....

• Love 1
On 6/24/2019 at 5:29 AM, HunterHunted said:

I generally won't eat lettuce. I'll sometimes eat romaine, Bibb on occasion, but never iceberg. I loathe iceberg.

I guess I have found my people.  I hate lettuce.  I hate when it's added to foods it shouldn't be.  Like nachos.  PughhH!  I want to retch just thinking about it.

On 10/9/2019 at 3:48 PM, piccadilly83 said:

The french toast I get a most restaurants is awful. The kind I make at home isn't. I just dip sandwich bread slices into a mix of eggs, sugar, milk, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and sometimes ground nutmeg; then I fry the slices in butter or canola/vegetable oil. Due to the sugar in the batter, the bread surfaces become slightly caramelized and crispy. It also gets around that whole problem of plain, flavorless, fluffy, doughy mass upon which you pour a bunch of syrup that distributes its sticky sweetening effects unevenly and messily.

Sounds like the recipe I've been using in quarantine, and it's amazing:

https://www.you.co.uk/chrissy-teigen-french-toast-recipe/

• Love 1

Ketchup is disgusting. 

Also, I don't like "custard" textured foods - pudding, creme brulee, etc. My husband thinks I'm nuts because creme brulee is pretty much his favorite thing on earth and I have a huge sweet tooth. I just can't stand that texture...

And raw tomatoes. Yech!

• Love 1

I love crême brûlée but dislike flan, even though they have similar tastes, because of the textures. Flan is too “bouncy.” I also don’t like the texture of gummies, jelly beans, or mochi, which is made with rice flour and has that sticky texture similar to jellied foods. People in Hawai’i thought I was crazy for not considering mochi a huge treat.

• Love 1
On 6/9/2020 at 2:23 PM, Nicmar said:

I swear I cannot cook white rice to save my life,I tried making it in my insta pot nope  it turned out gluey ,I read that you should wash your rice....

I love white rice...I boil it in salted water like pasta (just how my mom did it). I typically use Carolina brand extra long grain white rice.

I do rinse it right before adding it to the boiling water, in a mesh sieve, under cold tap water for a minute or two.

Comes out perfectly fluffy every time!  🙂

(edited)

I don't like Nutella, Hershey Chocolate, American Cheese, Eggplant, Squash (although I like yellow squash, but not butternut,spaghetti or acorn squash)...Rice or Bread Pudding, Crab, Scallops...and Avocado.

Edited by Kelly

I started subscribing to Blue Apron (figured that's 3 meals I don't have to shop for), and when a dish has rice, they have you boil it like pasta. Sara Moulton does it the same way, saying she can't cook rice using the volume rice to water method. If a graduate of the CIA has trouble cooking rice, anyone who has the same problem is in good company.

• Love 1

I will not eat eggs, shell fish of any kind, meat and all dairy., Mushrooms because they make me sick except for for black mushrooms they don't bother me at all, mayonnaise.

Well-uh! I won't eat snails because snails are my friends (yes, I know I'm weird but I spent many an hour in the garden admiring snails - they are so graceful). I won't eat liver because its the organ that processes all toxicity for the body so why would I want to then eat it? I won't eat olives because they just taste like ruined salt and have a strange texture. And I won't eat raisins because they are desiccated grapes and pollute all sorts of baked goods that I would otherwise love (especially oatmeal cookies). So all of you that like these foods can have my life time supply!

• Love 1
On 10/7/2019 at 2:04 AM, Mittengirl said:

Hmmm...I recently made Wacky Cake which usually is really good. But this time it just wasn't (the only part we liked was my buttercream frosting). It called for either brewed coffee or water. I've done both over the years. I used a cup (via k-cup) of Dunkin Donuts coffee. Then, the other day I looked at the tin of cocoa powder & noticed the exp date was 2015. So, it was either the old cocoa powder or the DD k-cup coffee.  The cake flavor just wasn't chocolate-y enough or something like that.

Edited by annzeepark914
On 6/21/2020 at 4:48 PM, isalicat said:

Well-uh! I won't eat snails because snails are my friends (yes, I know I'm weird but I spent many an hour in the garden admiring snails - they are so graceful). I won't eat liver because its the organ that processes all toxicity for the body so why would I want to then eat it? I won't eat olives because they just taste like ruined salt and have a strange texture. And I won't eat raisins because they are desiccated grapes and pollute all sorts of baked goods that I would otherwise love (especially oatmeal cookies). So all of you that like these foods can have my life time supply!

If you're going to screw around with tummy grapes you should make wine. It's the only acceptable alternative. 

(Who am I kidding, I love me some wine.)

• Love 1

Ok, I know this will get me branded as a heretic,  but... I DESPISE  fried potatoes in any form (other than  latkes, which I sort of  tolerate. ) I don't care if it's French fries, potato chips, home fries, hash browns... if it's  potatoes that are fried, that's a definite  pass for me.  

Blargh.

• Love 1

I'm certain I've posted it before, but since disliking potatoes is so unpopular, I'll restate it: The only way I will eat potatoes is as chips or French fries -- thin cut, crispy, seasoned and/or dipped so as to no longer taste like a potato.

If I'm in a restaurant in which I've never eaten before, and decide to have a sandwich or burger, I have to look around for someone with fries on their plate so I can see if they're thin and crispy enough for me to want some with it.

Not sure if I ever posted this but I don't like chicken (although I do like fried chicken skin, which is apparently a thing now so I'm a trendsetter). 

Also not a huge fan of chocolate. It's not that I hate it but I don't really find it that amazing. If I'm going to have it though I'll take Godiva dark chocolate assorted box. 

• Love 1

I hate onions - always have since i was a kid.. I would go to McDonalds with my friends and scrape off the onions on a hamburger with a straw.  As I've gotten older I realize now i only hate RAW onions.  I can tolerate cooked.. and thank the lord for vidalias.  I even cook with them.  Weird thing though, I always loved onion rings and onion dip.  A nutjob, i know.

9 hours ago, Boston said:

I hate onions - always have since i was a kid.. I would go to McDonalds with my friends and scrape off the onions on a hamburger with a straw.  As I've gotten older I realize now i only hate RAW onions.  I can tolerate cooked.. and thank the lord for vidalias.  I even cook with them.  Weird thing though, I always loved onion rings and onion dip.  A nutjob, i know.

I'll take your raw onions and you can have all my cooked ones.  I can't abide cooked onions.

• LOL 1
20 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I'll take your raw onions and you can have all my cooked ones.  I can't abide cooked onions.

and it's tough, right??  So many people cook with onions.  I still pick some cooked onions out of food (carefully, not letting anyone know)

Just now, Boston said:

and it's tough, right??  So many people cook with onions.  I still pick some cooked onions out of food (carefully, not letting anyone know)

Yes!  The flavor is fine, but I don't like the texture of cooked onions.  They either have to be large enough that I can eat around them, or small enough that I don't notice them.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Yes!  The flavor is fine, but I don't like the texture of cooked onions.  They either have to be large enough that I can eat around them, or small enough that I don't notice them.

YES!  the texture.. just gross.. and i will eat peppers, hot peppers, til the cows come home.. It's a weird thing