Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E13: Finals: Top 4 To 3

As this season has progressed I told my husband that the only comedians that I would watch in a sitcom were Rod Man and Rocky Laport. Nikki would probably be okay in that venue but I don't think that I would watch for long. I don't think that Laughlan would be good as the main character, but probably pretty good in an ensemble cast. I'm afraid that Joe would turn into another Erckle.  I couldn't handle that because he's way to smart to be made that one dimensional. "I'm not your Baby Alive baby daddy" still has me rolling and I could see a family show based around Rod Man.

• Love 1

I'm not sure that either Rod Man's or Nikki's style would lend itself to sitcom characters though. Their delivery is great for a stand-up routine, but for a scripted show where they're playing characters? Nikki wouldn't be able to rely on bugging out her eyes and making faces; Rod Man wouldn't be able to rely on repeating everything he says two or three times. Plus, they all pretty much bombed in the skit challenge.

Part of Rod Man's comedy comes from the fact that he doesn't seem like he belongs on stage.  And I don't mean that as a criticism, but that he's cultivated this character of "I don't know, the world confuses me, and I'm in over my head."  I was mentally rotating through TV characters to see who he could compare to, and I landed on Redd Foxx in Sandford & Son.  Now that show's before my time so I've only seen bits of it, but I think if you paired him with a good straight man you could get decent comedy out of it.

Nikki could work, though I don't think she has the writing to pull it off.  Give her a Roseanne-like setup where she's getting by but finds comedy in the everyday.  Again though, Roseanne was the one who made her sitcom work and I don't think Nikki has that talent.

Lachlan could fit anywhere because he's so generic.  And I do mean that as a criticism, but it could work for him.

(I said in a previous thread that Rocky fits in the formulaic "Dad" role sitcom, and Joe could work in an ensemble but not as protagonist. But they won't be getting shows anyway.)

I watched the first few seasons of LCS and haven't seen the last few, so I don't know if the judges pick the ultimate winner or if an audience does.  If it is an audience that picks, being at the bottom of your comedy barrel would probably hurt you, as your performance wouldn't be as good. 

Wanda Sykes remade the format for this season (making it at least the 4th format change in the show's history).  So prior seasons wouldn't be any guide. But it seems they're going with Judge picks all the way, and I'm fine with that.

Edited by Amarsir
  • Love 1

Nikki was the funniest to me.  The black spiritual with Latin rhythm I loved her body language, and I just had three Hispanic guys fix my car lickedy split, so I totally relate to that one too.   The others were tied for reasons already mentioned.  Is Nikki the one who carries her own hotel bedding for Episode 1?

Miss you Robin Williams.   You were the best.

Edited by whatsatool
  • Love 1