Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E13: Finals: Top 4 To 3

My prediction last week might be out the window. Best sets tonight, I thought, were Rod Man and Niki Carr. Joe and Lachlan were both on the weak side. I guess we'll find out in a few minutes who makes it to the finale.

• Love 1

They sent the wrong one home. Maybe they were thinking that Joe Machi's tank would be empty next week and they didn't want to risk one of the top 3 bombing out in the finale. Joe was a little scattershot tonight. Lachlan's tank will never be empty because his material is so pedestrian he can refill it any time, even though the material just isn't all that funny. I'm sure he's a great guy and I wish him the best, but I'll reiterate what I said a few weeks ago: I wouldn't pay to see Lachlan Patterson tell jokes.

So Rod Man is probably gonna win the title next week. I hope they put together a good 2-hour finale. Tonight was like a 30-minute show stretched out to an hour.

• Love 2

I think Joe ending on a weak joke didn't help. Keenan didn't like he got more confident? Complete BS. Also, wasn't Lachlan's pants joke about how he doesn't work out his lower half? I have no idea what Keenan thought he heard.

• Love 7

I thought Lachlan was in trouble tonight. I didn't think he was the worst, but, putting myself in the judges' shoes, and who they seemed to like the most, I thought for sure he was going home.

My heart sank the minute they called Nikki as the 2nd finalist. I thought she was funny in the earlier episodes, but as the show has gone on,  the constant shouting and bug-eyed delivery has worn out its welcome.  But the judges, and even the audience, seem to (inexplicably IMO) love her, so, looks like I'm stuck. Too bad, would have loved a Rodman/Lachlan/Joe finale.

I think Rod Man will probably win, and  I'm good with that. I just hope that if nothing else, Lachlan can finish ahead of Nikki.

• Love 5

Lachlan's material seemed a bit hacker tonight than most of what he's been doing up until now. I'd be willing to bet it was an older bit that he wrote most of years ago. Like Roseanne, I want more Joe!

• Love 4
Lachlan's tank will never be empty because his material is so pedestrian he can refill it any time . . . .

Pedestrian is the word I'd use to describe Nikki Carr's material.  Geez--it's all base-level, broad, observational humor about race and weight.  Almost nothing surprising in any of her sets this season, IMO.  Lachlan has some clever moments and turns, at least.

Joe and Rod Man were by far the best two comics this season.  I have no idea why Keenan feels "tricked" or whatever, simply because Joe's gaining a bit of confidence on stage.  I agree that I prefer his slightly more nervous delivery, but the quality of the jokes hasn't changed.  I just don't see how, on that basis, you can rank Joe under Lachlan and Nikki.  Sigh...

• Love 4

Are the judges going to pick the winner as well?  Can they really be unbiased?  They, like the viewing audience, have their favorites, and that's going to impact the outcome, no matter how hard they try.  I would like to see the home viewers, or minimally, the audience at the show, make the decision. 

Goodbye little Joe!  Gonna miss you!  : - (

Love,

The Gang and Team

• Love 5

Very sad to see Joe go, no gonna lie. Still, I'm glad Nikki made Final Three.

If they were going by tonight, I would've sent Lachlan home. The stuff about being 100 and working out was good, but the first half was a bit anemic, to me.

Rod Man proves, as Roseanne mentioned, that he has a delivery that can get people on board with normally unspeakable things (like breast milk). I do think the title is his to lose; he has won over the judges from his first set. 

Nikki, I enjoyed, but she is repeating themes even though she is using new-to-me jokes within the same themes (ex.: how Hispanic/Latino men tend to help her with her car.) My only wish is that she not wear a jacket every single set; it's a very minor nit I'm picking in the big picture, I know. Other than the tour, I don't remember her not having a jacket as part of her stage wear.

I like Joe and I liked his set tonight. The only thing I would've wanted him to change was the letting the judges/ Russell enjoy the 'Hey, Team' moment. Then I realize that was a fair use of the phrase and I'm okay with it. Maybe Keenan wasn't thrilled with that moment either and chalked that up to the supposed confidence "problem"?  I feel that that usage sort of falls closer to Roseanne's dislike of "How are you all doing?" at the top of a set, but an audience response isn't needed for Joe's  "team" or "gang".

I dread the filler for a two-hour episode, but Mr. Mitra gets to do a set, so good for him! We also get to hear if Roseanne can command a stage like in her Domestic Goddess days (my bet: yes.) I haven't seen Russell so that'll be cool.  Is Keenan doing a set? I may have missed the info as my tv was fading out at the end.  I hope that the Final three get a good chunk of time for their final sets. The shorter sets can be fine, but some comics have had sets that could've been super with a bit more time. (Examples to come; I remember wishing that some had been allowed more time because I enjoyed the material.)

• Love 1

After seeing the judges' reactions to Nikki I felt she was safe and that either Lachlan or Joe would go; with the criticism discussed between them of Joe's set it was clear it was going to be him. I'm with Roseanne that I would have stuck with Joe. But maybe something he himself said in his set might have sealed it for him when he declared he couldn't act: given the TV development angle, could that admission have suggested he wouldn't work in that setting? Otherwise, it might not be helping that his last couple of sets have been made up of short, unrelated jokes. The judges have made it clear that they have more admiration for a set with a single subject that is sustained over a series of jokes, and seem to interpret his approach as "running out of material".

Lachlan took a bit of a risk with the overtly sexist (if tongue-in-gaunt-cheek) line of jokes about getting women to obey him. I get what he was going for, but not everyone would look past its face value without some offense. But he did deliver some good, original bits.

Nikki was fine, if not my favourite, but her main advantage was that she had the audience on her side. Sometimes, as a group, they're less demanding than judges or home viewers, and just ride along on a wave of collective good will. That seemed to have spread to the judges tonight.

Rod Man can do no wrong, even with the cringe-worthy areas he was working within, apparently. I still love him, but I laughed less tonight than I have at his previous sets, and when he was going on about "breast decline", I just kept thinking about his poor wife! Now that her assets have been assessed and found wanting on national television, that next trip to the supermarket is bound to be awkward.

Edited by beedub
  • Love 1

I think it's Rod Man's to lose, and I'm fine with that. I'm also fine with the judges' decision to send Machi home. I love his material, but I totally agreed with what Keenan said, so much so that I said something similar as I was watching Joe's set. For me, the moment hit me when he pointed at Russell. I think he let Russell cause him to lose focus. That being said, I thought Lachlan was the weakest tonight and should've been sent packing. His pacing doesn't work for me, and his jokes felt tired.

As a black lesbian, I should be team Nikki, but I'm not. I think she's perfectly adequate and has had had her two best sets these last two weeks, but I don't think she's the best comic on the show, and I'd be shocked if she wins the whole thing. I do think she's fearless, which I love in a comic. Like Wanda said, she needs better writing.

My money is firmly on Rod Man. I looked up some of his old sets on YouTube, from before Last Comic Standing, and he's really come a long way.

• Love 1

I am going to watch again tonight, but I thought they were all pretty even, even Rod Man's set I thought wasn't up to his usual standards. 

I thought any of Niki, Joe or Lachlan could have been voted out and would have been perfectly justified.  That was a tough decision by the judges. 

One thing I have been mulling over is how the audience impacts the judges' decisions. The judges, and us viewers at home, have all seen the comics perform over the past several weeks. So we are used to the certain quirks and mannerisms in their delivery, and they have either grown on us or grown weary. The audience each week is presumably different, and presumably seeing each comic perform for the first time. And while the audience doesn't have a say in the decision, their response certainly influences the judges on how well received a set was.

Nikki is a super high energy, in your face performer. This carries well into the audience. It gets them involved and laughing quickly and elicits an equally big response. The fact that her material tends to follow the same routine doesn't matter to them, because it is their first viewing. But I think she wears out fast. I couldn't imagine sitting through an hour of her yelling.

Joe is the anti-Nikki. He is all quirk. He is low energy, almost monotone in his delivery. It takes awhile to warm up to him. (Awhile may be 5 minutes, but if your set is only 10 minutes...) Overall, I think Joe is a lot more interesting and funnier than Nikki, but I can see how his performance last night wouldn't go over all that well. And, as it happens on a rare occasion, I think the feedback from a judge was spot on and useful - Joe was funnier when he was extremely nervous.

I don't think any of his jokes tonight were particularly memorable. That's sad to me because he has been extremely quotable. But not as sad as his, "the seats were empty, nobody came to watch me." 

Rod Man. I was finally warming up to him last week, but this week's set didn't go over as well. There was one spot where I swear he went 30 seconds without being able to get a thought out. It seemed to drag on forever. I liked the "confident breasts" thing, but when it became specifically about his wife's breasts sagging and lactating, it became... uncomfortable. Awkward? All I could do was feel bad for her. I know sagging can be a very touchy topic for a woman, and now her husband is on national TV making fun of it. Hope she's a good sport.

Lachlan had some good bits tonight, but some of it needs work still. And man, he really sounded like Jerry Seinfeld tonight! I don't know what he did different, but I was imagining Seinfeld through the whole set. 

Overall, I thought the material tonight was much more "edgy" than anything we have really seen. Almost controversial. Breasts, slavery, subservient women, teacher's pay. My guess is they have been coached on what they can and can't say in their sets, and they were allowed or instructed to be a little more offensive tonight.

Edited by ae2
  • Love 1

Criminy...ANOTHER week of Nikki and her fat and/or race schtick.  Her delivery just seems too 'canned' for me.  I dunno.  Don't find her funny and just can't figure out why she skates through with her tired routines.

"Whi 'cho fine ass!'  I admit - cracked up harder than I should.  I hope Lachlan has a catch phrase outta this.

I wish Joe could have stayed 'in character more'...I think nerves still got the better of him and I felt like he was kinda having trouble holding in laughter bursts at the beginning.  It was definitely his weaker set...but still would pay money to see him over Nikki.  (I guess the tour, however, will give me ample time to go to the bathroom during her sets.)  Still think Joe is a sweet heart.

Rod Man all but has this sewn up.  And rightfully so. 

• Love 1

Anyone know if Joe has a CD/DVD?  He was my favorite and I want to support him and get his name out there! I hope he tours soon.

I really would have been happy with Joe/Lachlan/Rod Man F3 and any of them as the winner.  I guess I'm for Rod Man or Lachlan, but I have a weird feeling since this is NBC and they are looking for a TV show, Nikki may get it.  She's bland enough to mold into the stereotypical urban single mom/grandmother w/ multi generations in the house, cute Cosby-esque kids... and she seems ripe for some writer to make up a crazy sitcom catch phrase.  Her delivery wears me out.  Stop yelling the punch line. Ugh.

• Love 1

I missed this episode because it was pre-empted by a pre-season football game.  Since Nikki has made it to the final three, I have a horrible feeling that she might win.  I'm pulling for Rod Man, but I wouldn't mind if Lachlan won, as long as it isn't her and her screaming.

I guess I'm for Rod Man or Lachlan, but I have a weird feeling since this is NBC and they are looking for a TV show, Nikki may get it.  She's bland enough to mold into the stereotypical urban single mom/grandmother w/ multi generations in the house, cute Cosby-esque kids... and she seems ripe for some writer to make up a crazy sitcom catch phrase.  Her delivery wears me out.  Stop yelling the punch line. Ugh.

The only thing is, they've been giving her a fair amount of camera time to discuss the fact that she's a lesbian, so I think any sitcom she'd do would have to incorporate that. It was hard enough for Ellen to pretend when ostensibly nobody knew, but this cat is out of the other-cat-loving bag.

• Love 1
She's bland enough to mold into the stereotypical urban single mom/grandmother

The only thing is, they've been giving her a fair amount of camera time to discuss the fact that she's a lesbian, so I think any sitcom she'd do would have to incorporate that. It was hard enough for Ellen to pretend when ostensibly nobody knew, but this cat is out of the other-cat-loving bag.

She is single, has children and grandkids, and is also a lesbian. So, I don't know that she would have to fit a mold to play any of those "types". I don't know why I care, I want Rod to win.

I laughed during RodMan's set the most, and it is the only one I can remember this morning. So, that's how my brain picks a favorite I guess. 

Like many others have said, I think Nikki's strength is short bursts, but I'm growing tired of her week over week. She's not repeating core material like Dat Phan, but similar to him, she's funniest in those little moments of high energy, over a longer show I wear out on her. I think her Forte could actually be Roasts. That's where I found her the funniest and the time limit of those segments plays well to her strengths (a la Gilbert Gottfried ironically enough).

Conversely, if she could learn to broaden her set from the high energy stuff with some slower paced material I think she could make it work like Brian Regan has for so many years. She's grown on me.

Lachlan won't win. He may be the most well rounded but he doesn't excel anywhere. I think he would be good hosting a variety show type thing. Mix his stand-up with People on the Street interviews, sketches, etc. Maybe a toned down version of Jeselnik's show.

It wasn't Rod's best set, but he's clearly the strongest comic. He should win, unless NBC executives think they're more likely to build a show around Nikki (or, try to deflect some of the SNL criticism....but I think taking 7 black females into the semi-finals was probably the more overt attempt to address that).

We also get to hear if Roseanne can command a stage like in her Domestic Goddess days (my bet: yes.)

My bet - no. She had an HBO special a few years back, and I didn't think it was very good. I think the success of her long-running sitcom really changed her persona.

Bottom line for me, none of these people are going to get their own TV show. A "development deal" means nothing. I wouldn't even hazard a guess as to how many people in Hollywood have development deals with networks and studios. Hundreds, maybe thousands. The percentage of them that actually become shows is minuscule, and we're talking about people way more famous than any of these comics. With the exception of Amy Schumer, nobody who ever appeared on this show has ever gotten a TV show (and hers was not a direct result of LCS). Some have gone on to be successful stand-up comics, but that's about it.

So it all boils down to who I'd watch if they had a one-hour stand-up special on Comedy Central or even HBO, because that's about as much as they can hope to gain from this. And Joe was probably they only one I'd bother to watch. I recognize the appeal of Rod Man but he's just not my cup of tea, and while Nikki's delivery is engaging, her material is hit or miss. Same with Lachlan.

I'll watch the finale but I'll record it and speed through it. With Joe gone I don't have a dog in this race anymore.

• Love 2

Say it ain't so Joe. Please say it ain't so :(

I could feel it coming throughout the whole episode, and yet, I still had to collect myself when JB announced the final spot.

I want Joe to come to my town so badly. Ride that wave of TV glory, Joe!

• Love 4

I'm still team Rodman, although that wasn't his best set.  I have to believe that he ok'd the set with his wife before hand, otherwise the only breast he's going to see will be in a bucket.

Hate that Joe is gone, but his set was all over the place.  Someone upthread said that the judges probably let him go because they feared he would run out of material for the finale and I would have to agree.  Good luck Joe!!!

I thought NIkki delivered another good set, but I just don't see her winning.

Lachlan, I think he is funny and would be fine if he beat out my man Rodman.

After Joe's rather touching admission that he'd been playing to mostly empty rooms before LCS (which I'll take with a lump of salt – he's too good not to have already been packing small clubs at least), I'm happy that the exposure he's received here will absolutely get him onto festival programs and some bigger headlining gigs. People from previous seasons benefited from a boost in name recognition (Alonzo Bodden, Gary Gulman, Kathleen Madigan, etc.) and became instant draws at Just For Laughs in Montreal, for example.

• Love 4
With the exception of Amy Schumer, nobody who ever appeared on this show has ever gotten a TV show (and hers was not a direct result of LCS).

Doug Benson did a very short-lived Comedy Central show called "The Benson Interruption" a couple years after he appeared on LCS. No one has ever gotten a network show, though.

Watching last night, I remembered one of my problems with this series (and I've seen at least part of every season): by the bitter end, I'm pretty tired of all the finalists. I mean, I love Joe Machi, and am bummed he got eliminated (I think Keenen was dead-set against him -- he appeared to sit stone-faced through most of Joe's set), but I just sort of had this "These folks AGAIN?!" reaction as they came on to do their stand-up. Their mannerisms and schtick become more and more evident week after week in a way that I probably wouldn't pick up on otherwise.

• Love 1

I'm so mad it was pre-empted for football stuff here. I guess the ratings must be low. Early in the season they were showing the same episodes twice a week, and now when it gets interesting they're not showing them at all!

Ouch that bites. I'm really glad it wasn't pre-empted here. I would be severely pissed off it it was. NBC seems to have a bad habit of doing this and it goes to show that they don't really care about their audience. Not really. Every year they pull crap like this on one show or another.

Bottom line for me, none of these people are going to get their own TV show. A "development deal" means nothing. I wouldn't even hazard a guess as to how many people in Hollywood have development deals with networks and studios. Hundreds, maybe thousands. The percentage of them that actually become shows is minuscule, and we're talking about people way more famous than any of these comics.

To me the funniest thing about this show is how they keep pushing the "NBC Development Deal" prize for the winner as if that is something with a value greater than zero. In all liklihood it's not. In Hollywood a "development deal" means whatever they want it to mean. Get together with a few people for lunch, pitch some idiotic ideas for an imbecilic sitcom, maybe pay some hack writer a hundred bucks for a lame script... and it goes no further than that. That's your "development deal". You're lucky if you get out of there without them asking you to pick up the check since you won LCS and have $250 large burning a hole in your pocket.

Of course it doesn't have to go exactly like that, but the chances of a real honest-to-goodness network series making it onto the NBC schedule are somewhere between slim and none.

Edited by Tabasco Cat

Oh well, my favorite was eliminated.  I'd much rather have a Rodman/Joe/Nikki final than have Lachlan in the mix.  I think we were getting a female in the top three no matter what.

Goodbye, m'friend.  I'll see you when you visit Seattle.

• Love 2

One thing I think Nikki has going for her is that she is the best at pantomime, and being able to do physical comedy is a plus for a sitcom.

I think Rod Man is equally as socially awkward as Joe. Rod Man has weird facial expressions and strange body posture and movements. I would not want to be in a room with him having a one on one conversation the way he is always lunging forward and can't seem to stand up straight. I do think he is brilliantly funny and very charming in the odd way that he speaks, but he's not the whole package. As I have felt from the beginning, he is second to Joe as the most brilliant comic they had.

I do not find Lachlan very funny at all. Sure he's had a few good lines over the season, but not enough to warrant being one of the final three. What I think he has going for him is the hard-on Roseanne has for him. Regarding the physical comedy aspect, he seems fair at striking poses, but I don't think he compares to Nikki in that respect. Also, I have had a hard time paying attention to his performances. My mind always wanders when he starts talking. I would definitely not watch any show he was on. He's a sleeping pill.

Keenan's comments about Joe becoming more comfortable are just as much about himself becoming more comfortable with Joe. Therefore I do not think his criticism was a good one. It also makes me think of how many men want the woman in their lives to stay exactly the same as she was on the day that they met her, forever.  And, haven't the judges been complimenting most of the comics for evolving? Keenan's remarks were very out of place. If he was disappointed, it was with himself.

At this point I am rooting for Rod Man to win, but with Joe Machi gone I don't think I will be watching the finale. He was the funniest comic of the season. And it feels like it was a mistake to let him go and that there is a hole in the show now. And P.S. I liked him better as he was getting more comfortable. He was still extremely quirky and awkward. It's not like he became Buddy Love.

Edited by SweePea59
  • Love 1

I just wanted to add that I really loved that comedian from the Fast Comic Standing segment. In his audition he was the one who did the joke about becoming a slumlord when he plays Monopoly with his children. Last night's joke was about how his dimples are likely to get him beaten up in certain rough neighborhoods.  I hope he tries out again, along with the Tennessee redneck and the "Roots is our Star Wars" guy. When I think of the spots taken this season by non-starters like Rocky and DC Benny, it is to weep.

• Love 1

I wish NBC hadn't tried to stretch 4 performances out to an hour. After an excellent return and makeover by Wanda Sykes, this was some Season 3 level crap to fill time. (That's not a critique of the performers. It's just that together they had 20 minutes of content and the show was an hour.)

When Joe brought out "team" and "gang", I know he was doing it because Russell specifically said he likes that. But by the 5th time it was a detriment. Either do a quick reference and drop it, or find another way to ramp it up. It was gimmicky, and I loved his set but that brought it down. (Joe was the only one to make me laugh out loud several times, though Rod Man came close. "Southern accent" and "pay them less" were great, but I understand if they didn't carry the set. )

Nikki's schtick is getting old to me too, but I'm also tired of her pointing out "Last Female Standing". Yes, all other things being equal it would have been nice to see more women in the top 5/10. But if you think about it, promoting herself as the last woman is an implicit slight to female comics. Not that she's bad, but that the implication is "I might not beat the men but at least I'm better than other women." You're one of the last 3, congrats. I don't care where you are in relation to your gender.

(BTW, on "Funniest Wins" on TBS, 4 of the top 6 were women. Just wanted to mention that.)

Edited by Amarsir
  • Love 3

Aw sorry to see Joe go, although I do agree that his set was weaker this time. I think he hasn't run out of material quite yet but he's getting close (understandably!).  Also the whole "gang/team" thing was apparently funny to the judges but it drove me nuts - so nuts that I wouldn't even pay to go see him anymore. He's the only one left I would've likely paid to go see someday. Maybe he's been doing the gang/team thing all along and I just started noticing it because he was emphasizing it so much?

I actually thought Nikki was funnier in this episode than she has been.  I'm surprised she's gotten this far but she does seem to be hitting her stride a bit better now. And I think we got through most of her set without a ton of fat/food jokes, which was refreshing.

Lachlan... eh. I actually thought he'd be the one going home. His treadmill joke did stick with me though.

Rod Man hems and haws so much, and takes forever to get to his point, but he's growing on me. I agree with those who say he's likely to win it.

My heart sank the minute they called Nikki as the 2nd finalist. I thought she was funny in the earlier episodes, but as the show has gone on,  the constant shouting and bug-eyed delivery has worn out its welcome.  But the judges, and even the audience, seem to (inexplicably IMO) love her, so, looks like I'm stuck. Too bad, would have loved a Rodman/Lachlan/Joe finale.

Yeah, I'm tired of Nikki.  Her jokes all have the same basis - fat, black, gay, and not attractive.  The "not attractive" jokes make me sad, I don't enjoy laughing at her.  she's not in the same league as the others.  Turning around so she could show us she looks like a guy from behind?  not funny, just sad.  

Rodman's bit about breasts "losing their confidence"  was funny and original.  But when he got into breastfeeding category, it got weird.  

I like Lachlan.  I was disappointed, because I didn't think his set was good enough to stay in  I would have rather had Joe stay. Joe was having weird moments with the audience.  people were shouting, and it seemed to throw him off his game.  Anyone else see this?  I wondered if an audience member was shouting something that had to be bleeped, because he was giving the audience weird looks and getting distracted.   I love his act, he's unique and smart.  But there was something "off"  about him, like he was having difficulty staying "in character". 

Noooooooooooooooo

It's a crock.  Keenan had a clear agenda to get Joe out for weeks and finally talked at least one of the other two into it. 

Lachlan... eh. I actually thought he'd be the one going home. His treadmill joke did stick with me though.

Rod Man hems and haws so much, and takes forever to get to his point, but he's growing on me. I agree with those who say he's likely to win it.

I just plain don't find Lachlan all that funny.  As for Rod I like that he takes his time.  It's very much an opposite style from Joe Machi, and yet I find them both genius within their own styles.  

I'm upset that Joe is gone in favor of a comic like Lachlan who I find plain old mediocre, but as long as Rod wins this it probably won't matter who else was with him in that Final 3.  If Rod doesn't?  I won't see the purpose of this show at all.

• Love 5

Yeah, I'm tired of Nikki. Her jokes all have the same basis - fat, black, gay, and not attractive. The "not attractive" jokes make me sad, I don't enjoy laughing at her. she's not in the same league as the others. Turning around so she could show us she looks like a guy from behind? not funny, just sad.

Rodman's bit about breasts "losing their confidence" was funny and original. But when he got into breastfeeding category, it got weird.

I like Lachlan. I was disappointed, because I didn't think his set was good enough to stay in I would have rather had Joe stay. Joe was having weird moments with the audience. people were shouting, and it seemed to throw him off his game. Anyone else see this? I wondered if an audience member was shouting something that had to be bleeped, because he was giving the audience weird looks and getting distracted. I love his act, he's unique and smart. But there was something "off" about him, like he was having difficulty staying "in character".

See I really liked the breastfeeding bit bc I am breastfeeding my newborn and my husband has an intense fear of accidentally drinking breastmilk

• Love 2

Rod Man. I was finally warming up to him last week, but this week's set didn't go over as well. There was one spot where I swear he went 30 seconds without being able to get a thought out. It seemed to drag on forever. I liked the "confident breasts" thing, but when it became specifically about his wife's breasts sagging and lactating, it became... uncomfortable. Awkward? All I could do was feel bad for her. I know sagging can be a very touchy topic for a woman, and now her husband is on national TV making fun of it. Hope she's a good sport.

I completely agree. I wasn't into Rod Man, but he won me over last week with "living room baby". This week, not so much. Breast jokes are unoriginal. Yes, he put his "Rod Man style" on it, but I didn't find it funny. The judges go on about how he can say anything and make it funny because of his presentation, but I don't like how his style is used sometimes to mask jokes that actually aren't that funny. At times I find his style grating, especially the constant repetition of everything he says. He is totally winning this thing, though.

I do not find Lachlan very funny at all. Sure he's had a few good lines over the season, but not enough to warrant being one of the final three. What I think he has going for him is the hard-on Roseanne has for him. Regarding the physical comedy aspect, he seems fair at striking poses, but I don't think he compares to Nikki in that respect. Also, I have had a hard time paying attention to his performances. My mind always wanders when he starts talking. I would definitely not watch any show he was on. He's a sleeping pill.

Keenan's comments about Joe becoming more comfortable are just as much about himself becoming more comfortable with Joe. Therefore I do not think his criticism was a good one. It also makes me think of how many men want the woman in their lives to stay exactly the same as she was on the day that they met her, forever.  And, haven't the judges been complimenting most of the comics for evolving? Keenan's remarks were very out of place. If he was disappointed, it was with himself.

I think Roseanne was the one that wanted Joe to stay. She was in disagreement with Keenan and Russell. I think Joe went home because it was 2 for Lachlan (Russell and Keenan) and only Roseanne voting for Joe. 

I think Joe was running out of gas. He never really seemed to recover from all the rounds he did with Monroe. I would worry that he wouldn't have enough material for the finale. His last two sets have just been a series of unrelated, incoherent one-liners. They were still funny, but not integrated with each other. I can't remember, but was his act always like this, even in the beginning? It looks like the strategy the other comedians had, to keep voting him in the head-to-heads and making him burn through his sets in order to get him eliminated, worked. 

My two favorite sets of Nikki's have been the ones over the past two weeks. Having said that though, I agree with those that think her act is played out. We get it, you're a black, lesbian woman, who makes jokes about that and about your physical appearance. I like that she's high energy, but she needs to tone it down a bit. The weird head motions and yelling during her sets are too much. It was especially noticeable in that clip from the roast.

I find that I tend to judge the jokes the most on is their originality/obviousness. Does anyone else find that? There are a lot of jokes that are funny, but I'm just like, meh that was too obvious or I've heard something similar before. Like Joe Machi's Thomas Jefferson joke wasn't funny to me because I've heard it before.

Also, anytime they cut to Keenan I'm completely distracted by the shape of his head. He reminds me of the Brian from Pinky and the Brain. I don't find his critiques very informative and I think he makes his biases too transparent. I really hated during the auditions how his whole commentary about the person's "look".

ETA - Speaking of Keenan commenting on appearance, I forgot to mention the part when Russell said that Lachlan's comedy is as crooked as his smile. I know he was joking, but that was kind of mean.

Edited by wudpixie
  • Love 2

I think Joe was running out of gas. He never really seemed to recover from all the rounds he did with Monroe. I would worry that he wouldn't have enough material for the finale. His last two sets have just been a series of unrelated, incoherent one-liners. They were still funny, but not integrated with each other. I can't remember, but was his act always like this, even in the beginning?

I pictured him as always disjointed. But I went back and looked at his semifinals performance, and it was just two subjects: life used to suck (watching your kids die) and then ordering pizza with "never forget" on the box.  Unusual topics, as now.  But more funny angles on each one, which to me indicates he's spent more time on them until he has another observation.

And some of Joe's later stuff could be really really good if he finds ways to build it into its own set.  For example, his very last joke set up like this: Iran is taunting the US.  They may have a nuclear weapon.  We have lots of nuclear weapons.  We lost 8 nukes at sea. 

That's a lot of very heavy setup.  It's a tense subject which is perfect for an edgy punchline.  But then his actually punchline was "I can't even lose one virginity".  Now that's not a bad joke on its own, but it's a complete waste of such setup.  If Joe finds the time to write 3-4 more laughs in there, and then uses that line, I think it works much better.  Hopefully he'll do that because back when Amy Schumer was mentoring him, she said she knows him from the clubs as someone who works very hard on his sets.  So I look forward to him revisiting the joke some day with more polish on it.

• Love 1

I think the lack of flow and disjointed nature of his sets came to hurt Joe in the end. At the beginning it was quirky and interesting, after awhile though it does take a toll on his act when you see it week after week. Plus I felt some of his jokes fell flat.

I think Nikki's best joke of her set was the first one, pointing out "We weren't the ones with slaves"

Again, though, I think its Rod Man and everyone else, has been since at least the finals if not longer, so you can mix and match the others but much of it with them comes down to personal preference because they all come down to different styles.

Keenan didn't like he got more confident? Complete BS.

I get the feeling if Joe had stayed exactly as nervous and quirky as he was on day one Keenan would have criticized him for not growing.  He started with that shit last episode . . . revving up the bus.

I laughed thru Joe's whole set.  Got a couple laughs out of Rod Man, a couple out of Lachlan and zero out of Nikki.  At a couple points I could not understand what she was saying.  Not that I didn't get the joke, I literally couldn't make out the words.  When Rosanne was unconvincingly slogging thru her canned comments about how Nikki 'talked about subjects nobody would ever think to talk about' (a black comic riffing on slavery - zomg!) I started sweating for Joe.   I feel cheated on his behalf.

• Love 2

Sorry to see Joe go, but perhaps he was nearing the bottom of his comedy stockpile.  Still, I was hoping Nikki would go instead. 

I just don't find Nikki funny.  I was surprised she even made it into the top ten. I think making jokes about appearance is too easy, doesn't require much thought, and is not original.  These are jokes grade schoolers make to pick on other grade schoolers, except Nikki tells them about herself, instead of picking on someone else.  But the worst is that I often see her punchlines coming - happened at least twice this episode. 

I think what makes Rodman funny is his choice of words.  I have heard sagging boobs jokes before, but him saying they lacked confidence made it funny to me.  I have heard plenty of ugly baby jokes, but him calling them living room babies made it fresh again.

Lachlan isn't anything new, but he does make me laugh occasionally. 

Also, anytime they cut to Keenan I'm completely distracted by the shape of his head. He reminds me of the Brian from Pinky and the Brain. I don't find his critiques very informative and I think he makes his biases too transparent. I really hated during the auditions how his whole commentary about the person's "look".

I don't necessarily agree with him, but it seems to me that Keenan is the only judge that actually gives constructive feedback.  Russell seems to just tell the comics they are funny/original  - at worst he may say it wasn't their best set, "But I still laughed."  Roseanne also calls them funny/original and, about half the time, tells them they are good writers.  She has made a few negative/constructive comments, but usually that only happens if Keenan has said something about it first. 

• Love 2

Sorry to see Joe go, but perhaps he was nearing the bottom of his comedy stockpile.  

If you think about it, what does it matter if he was?  He put out three or four times as much comedy as the rest, so if he's judged harshly for having some slight dip in quality, one wonders what could be said about other comedians who's material was starting to erode with only a fraction as much of their material used up.

• Love 4

If you think about it, what does it matter if he was?  He put out three or four times as much comedy as the rest, so if he's judged harshly for having some slight dip in quality, one wonders what could be said about other comedians who's material was starting to erode with only a fraction as much of their material used up.

I agree with you completely. Joe Machi's jokes were still funnier and more intelligent than some of the other jokes. And if he was stringing non sequiturs together, it didn't bother me at all, because the jokes still made me laugh.

I guess I will console myself that if Joe had won, NBC probably would have hired some mediocre writers, and the TV sitcom would have been cringe-worthy.

• Love 2

I thought that running out of material mattered because they are supposed to be judged on that night's performance, not on how they have done over the course of a season.  This would be the logic behind the other comics picking a strong comic to go to the head to head competitions. 

I watched the first few seasons of LCS and haven't seen the last few, so I don't know if the judges pick the ultimate winner or if an audience does.  If it is an audience that picks, being at the bottom of your comedy barrel would probably hurt you, as your performance wouldn't be as good. 

I do agree that Joe has more good material than anyone else (except possibly Rodman, but he hasn't had to perform as much).  Joe performed a more than anyone else and is still funnier than those who performed less, and should still be using some of their top stuff. 

• Love 3

Roseanne also calls them funny/original and, about half the time, tells them they are good writers.

Or that she's "never seen anyone like them before" or "seen anything like it before", when she must have seen it all by now.

I thought that running out of material mattered because they are supposed to be judged on that night's performance, not on how they have done over the course of a season.

Or on how they might do next week. No, it shouldn't matter how much more material they may or may not have left in the tank, as long as they do well on that given night. And I also don't think it should be held against Joe that he has gained confidence, unless it has a detrimental effect on his performance, and I think maybe it had. The way he was using "gang" and "team", and then pausing and looking over at the judges (and Russell in particular) was playful, but it wasn't doing him any favours. It was disrupting the flow of his set, and making it look a bit like he was pandering. He was getting kind of caught up in that side of it, and to the audience that was seeing him that night for the first time (and to anyone who wasn't Russell), it was probably a bit annoying.

To those of us who have come to like him over the course of the season, we were likely more forgiving of him. 

• Love 3