Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Sassenach

Athena
  • Start Topic

Blue Girl, part of her outspokenness was to keep herself safe...using her best hospital ward matron voice/attitude that kept soldiers in line during the war.  Also just partly her personality.

• Love 3

I liked Claire's attitude. It was very modern and was supposed to be shocking to the Highlanders as well. Perhaps her self-preservation instinct goes into sleeping mode whenever someone needs her medical attendance. I mean, she was saving Jamie's life (and if not life, then health at the very least). She couldn't have bothered for someone interupting her.

And she was royally p... off. I understand the feeling.

• Love 2

I tried to read Outlander some years ago, but never really got into it. However, I really enjoyed the first episode of this. It didn't feel too slow to me, and I thought they did a good job of making me care about her relationship with her husband in a relatively short time. I've been kind of languishing in a TV desert lately, so I'm happy to have a new show to feel excited about. 

I agree that it makes sense not to have subtitles for the Gaelic since Claire can't understand them, so we'll be as confused and isolated as she is. However, I assume that Claire is going to pick up some Gaelic eventually, and I'm curious to see how they deal with that. Subtitles sometimes? Or maybe they'll just make everyone speak English then. 

• Love 2

However, I assume that Claire is going to pick up some Gaelic eventually, and I'm curious to see how they deal with that. Subtitles sometimes? Or maybe they'll just make everyone speak English then. 

Perhaps we'll also pick up this lines and be able to understand them without the subtitles?

;)

Sassenach (spoken by Jamie in a low voice) is understandable...

• Love 1

The Outlander books have been on my "To Read" list for ages, I just have never actually gotten around to it. When I heard STARZ was doing an adaptation, I decided to hold off on reading the books, so I could get into the show without knowing what's going to happen, or becoming that person who is constantly comparing the books to the adaptation (like what happened when I read A Song of Ice and Fire after the first season of Game of Thrones. I love both, but its so hard not to compare!). So I came into this blind, and I loved it!

I love a good historical fiction story, and adding time travel to the mix? And the beautiful Scottish backdrop? And actual Gaelic being spoken? And Scottish accents? I am fully onboard this train, wherever it takes me.

I hope we get to see at least a little more of Frank and Claire. I really liked the glimpses we got of their relationship. However, the main Scottish guy? I can see how they would be appealing, and I already think the actors play well with each other, so who knows. As I said, I am on board.

The only problem? I want more right now, and the books just seem so tempting! To read, or not to read...

I try not to talk about the B word in here but I really enjoyed the first one. I'm impatient though, I wouldn't be able to wait on the show to tell the story if I were in your shoes.

• Love 2

Holy shit, was this good. I wasn't bothered by the V/Os because it was the first episode and I assume they won't need them anymore. It seemed that TPTB wanted to get Clair back in time as soon as possible, so the V/Os were used to hustle that along. 

• Love 1

Cate Blanchett, except brunette?

Yes and I also think she has some Evangeline Lilly, Sienna Miller, Rebecca Hall & Claire Danes. I think it's the hooded eyes.

I don't think there's ever been an actress that's reminded me of so many other actresses.

I'm glad I'm not alone on this. I watched this three times last night on Starz. I don't know anything about the books, so I went it blindly due to the previews. I really enjoyed it. I thought Caitrona (sorry I can't remember how to spell her name), the woman who plays Claire reminded me of Cate Blanchett and a tad like Uma Thurman. I thought I must be the only one that thought that. I like her. I don't know any of the actors, which is sometimes a blessing in disguise for me. I go in without any pre-ideas of how good or bad they may or may not be. So far, everyone seems terrific! I understand that Claire was a nurse for the military and in those times, a woman needs to show strength because otherwise the men will just take advantage of her. I give her kudos for being such a strong person. My tiny little issue was that I don't think a woman back in those days would go parading around without underwear or a bra on without being considered a prostitute. Yes. I could be wrong. I know it's just a tv show. It bothered me to see Claire walking around in her nightgown (or a really sheer dress) no bra no panties going back in time where men would not respect a woman dressed like that nor would other women. For a nurse, you would think she would want to be dressed more conservatively or in a more professional way to be taken seriously. Probably over thinking the whole thing. Sorry folks The guy who plays Jamie is hot!!!! I liked the guy who plays Frank also. Can't wait to see next weeks epi and read everyone's reviews and thoughts also.

• Love 1

I've been waiting for the Outlander series to be put on film ever since I started reading the books so many years ago.  I was happy with the production, very pleased to see Tobias Menzies in the credits, and satisfied with the casting of Jaimie.  But the actress chosen to play Claire is giving me serious flashbacks to the casting of Jessica Pare in Mad Men.  She does not fit my mental image of this character - not sturdy enough physically I think - and I'm not buying her as either a person from the 40s or as a person who would survive the unexpected and sudden displacement of a couple hundreds years.  I hope she grows on me as the series progresses and does not continue to be such an irritant that it destroys my ability to enjoy this long-awaited event.

It bothered me to see Claire walking around in her nightgown (or a really sheer dress) no bra no panties going back in time where men would not respect a woman dressed like that nor would other women. For a nurse, you would think she would want to be dressed more conservatively or in a more professional way to be taken seriously.

I don't think she's a nurse "in real life," I think she joined up to do her bit during the war, and has been demobbed.  I think she only went without knickers in the visit to Castle Leough, and who knows, she could have just stepped out of them off-camera.  

If you're talking about the dress Claire was wearing when she was magically transported, it was a dress, not a nightgown.  I thought the costumers did a pretty neat trick of making the dress look totally in-period for the 1940s when she wore it then and then have it look more or less like a simple shift in the 1740s.  It was belted, and I'm assuming she was wearing knickers and a bra -- I didn't see anything to indicate she wasn't.  You can see straps of a slip or bra through the bodice material and, again, you can see the dress is lined or she's wearing a slip under the skirt.  So I don't think it was a particularly immodest dress.  I do think it's a little odd that a woman would be wearing a white, fairly thin dress in Scotland at the end of October, but oh well.  The costumers had to put her in something that would not look glaringly too "modern" for the 1740s.  White made it believable as a chemise or slip, back in the 18th c.  

I can buy the little pearl button popping off at the top, but the belt?  Not so much!

Edited by annlaw78
  • Love 6

My best friend's mother was horrified that we girls did not wear girdles. She was in Royal Navy during the War and still wears one every day. I would think Claire might wear one too. (My friend's mother is, and was, quite thin. It was all about reducing the jiggle.

• Love 1

Regardless of what people would have thought of her in the 1940s, I don't think anyone would have thought anything bad about Claire not wearing panties in the 1700s since they probably weren't either.

• Love 4

I didn't get the impression that Claire made a habit out of not wearing undies. I think that was just an exception so she could seduce her husband - a strategy that was obviously very successful.

I liked this first episode and have subscribed to Starz so I can continue watching it. I haven't read the books and am only familiar with what I could not avoid in the hype for this. So I am pretty unspoiled . I am however aware that the Jamie guy is the literary boyfriend of quite a few ladies so my expectations are high. One thing I thought even under all the period grime is that Jamie looks younger than Claire.

• Love 1

My best friend's mother was horrified that we girls did not wear girdles. She was in Royal Navy during the War and still wears one every day. I would think Claire might wear one too. (My friend's mother is, and was, quite thin. It was all about reducing the jiggle.

Yep, my Mom told me everyone in the forties wore girdles no matter what their size. Of course there must have been a few rebels but they would have been considered "fast" I think.

• Love 2
I am however aware that the Jamie guy is the literary boyfriend of quite a few ladies so my expectations are high. One thing I thought even under all the period grime is that Jamie looks younger than Claire.

That's good because he's supposed to be about 6 years younger. His character is in his early 20's. And the Claire character is in her late 20's.

Edited by Athena
Book spoiler

Please remember that information about the show and its characters that has NOT been shown in the episodes or in press releases are considered spoilers. Details from the books should be in Book Talk topics.  

As always, we are trying to make it so that non-book readers can find out things through the show or if they would like, in the book topics. Thanks!

• Love 3

When I first watched I thought Frank told Claire he was constantly sketching her hand. But on second viewing, he was drawing the pattern of lines on her palm, the same pattern that had Mrs. Graham so puzzled by its uniqueness. That was an interesting connection.

I also put subtitles on during my second viewing and discovered I'd missed a lot of the dialogue first time around. I have always wondered how Samhain is pronounced. Now I know!

• Love 1

On rewatch I looked closely at the white dress. She was definitely wearing a slip and bra. You could see two sets of straps underneath. She tore her slip to make the dressing for Jamie's bullet wound. On the other hand would the fact that she was not wearing hose be unusual for the mid '40s?

Reminds me. How funny was it that when Claire was asking for disinfectants the Scotsmen were clueless... until she mentioned alcohol. Oh yeah, alright, got it.

<slaps forehead> I didn't realize until I read it here that Frank = Edmure Tully.

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 2

On the other hand would the fact that she was not wearing hose be unusual for the mid '40s?

This is a good point, and there are probably a few medical uses for it (I distinctly remember a scene from Pearl Harbor where they start gathering the nurse's hosiery for tourniquets) so if she were wearing any, she'd probably find some use for it.

• Love 1

On rewatch I looked closely at the white dress. She was definitely wearing a slip and bra. You could see two sets of straps underneath. She tore her slip to make the dressing for Jamie's bullet wound. On the other hand would the fact that she was not wearing hose be unusual for the mid '40s?

Reminds me. How funny was it that when Claire was asking for disinfectants the Scotsmen were clueless... until she mentioned alcohol. Oh yeah, alright, got it.

At least in a couple of scenes she was wearing stockings and and garters. I thought when she was sitting in the chair in her last scene with Frank that she was wearing white-ish hose. It'd be pretty cold up on a hill in the Highlands at the end of October to not be wearing stockings or tights under a skirt.

I got a kick out of Jamie's looking at her boobs when she said she was a nurse.

• Love 2

On the other hand would the fact that she was not wearing hose be unusual for the mid '40s?

If she had hose (or stockings), she probably wouldn't have many pairs and might not put them on just for walking out to the stones because they'd probably get torn up. World War II had just ended, and while rationing in England might not have still been on, it was probably still difficult and expensive to have a lot of pairs of stockings. You'd want to take care of them.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

If she had hose (or stockings), she probably wouldn't have many pairs and might not put them on just for walking out to the stones because they'd probably get torn up. World War II had just ended, and while rationing in England might not have still been on, it was probably still difficult and expensive to have a lot of pairs of stockings. You'd want to take care of them.

Clothes were rationed until 1949. Other things for far longer

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I fan-wanked my way around the lack of stockings by convincing myself that she just ran over to the stones for a moment to get the plant, intending to come right back without seeing anyone and so she didn't bother to put them on. In the scene before we see her sitting with bare feet tucked up in a chair and I don't see stockings. (Who would wear stockings and garters while lounging about in ones own hotel room? I've worn them. They're not that comfortable. ) So my theory is she didn't bother to put them on, didn't bother with a coat -- just grabbed a shawl, and fully expected to be back in her hotel room 10 minutes later. As for the bra and slip, I figure she can always explain them away by saying "They're French." As for the belt and wristwatch falling off -- I'm afraid that's down to poor craftsmanship.

• Love 1

I distinctly remember a scene from Pearl Harbor where they start gathering the nurse's hosiery for tourniquets

That was one of the (many, many) scenes that was called out for being unrealistic; I wouldn't trust anything in that movie. According to this , nylon stockings weren't made from 1939 to 1945, and when production resumed they were still very scarce.

• Love 2

I've seen movies set during WWII where women drew lines down the back of their bare legs with eyebrow pencils to give the illusion of silk stockings with seams at the back. So yeah, Claire saving her stockings and running a quick errand bare legged seems completely plausible.

What I don't find plausible, and no one has mentioned it, is that they rode all night and all day and all night again without sleep. I understand that the director wanted to film the attack at Cock<whatever> rock during the day so they stretched out the trip vs the original script. But the whole group going 48 hours without sleep seems highly unlikely.

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 2
Yep, my Mom told me everyone in the forties wore girdles no matter what their size. Of course there must have been a few rebels but they would have been considered "fast" I think.

What about Claire's 'salty language'?  A swiss friend of mine who learned english at boarding school in the 50s told me once that the english girls got a kick out of teaching her naughty words, and always laughed when she used the world 'bloody'.  It's nothing today and not really the 'f-bomb' of its day, but still a bit inappropriate for polite company in the 40s, I'd expect.

Also, and I say this with all respect to fans and risking Athena's angry boiling gaze, but this show had a certain ... bodice-ripping quality to it.  Haven't read the books but they're on my pile, but now I'm afraid it'll be a bit harlequin romance pot-boiler for my tastes.   Am I wrong here? 

• Love 3

Also, and I say this with all respect to fans and risking Athena's angry boiling gaze, but this show had a certain ... bodice-ripping quality to it.  Haven't read the books but they're on my pile, but now I'm afraid it'll be a bit harlequin romance pot-boiler for my tastes.   Am I wrong here? 

I would say the series is not that easy to define.  Much more substantial than a typical harlequin or bodice ripper style with more depth to both the story and characters, IMO.  The author has been quoted as saying bookstores have filed her books in several categories; historical fiction, sci-fi, mystery, romance and others.  I hope you stick it out and see where this season goes to get an idea of how the story unfolds.

AFA the lack of stockings on Claire, I would agree with the idea that they were still a rare commodity right after WWII so if she had some pairs she would be very careful of where she wore them.  I don't think she had on stockings when she and Frank went exploring Castle Leoch either.

Edited by Glaze Crazy
  • Love 1
I hope you stick it out and see where this season goes to get an idea of how the story unfolds.

Then stick it out I shall.  I did enjoy it - the photography alone was worth the watch.  I just got the feeling that I might be watching a story about a strong female character (which I like) who is nonetheless defined by whichever strapping lad she is heroically (as a measure of her independence and strength) boinking.  That's a trope I don't enjoy - a 'strong' female character who doesn't need men to give focus and purpose to her life, even though her focus and purpose is pretty much provided by men.  

I'm honestly not sure why I felt this way, as the first thing we find out about Claire is that she spent 5 years away from her husband being a war nurse.  No man needed there, just duty and toughness.  

• Love 3

What about Claire's 'salty language'?  A swiss friend of mine who learned english at boarding school in the 50s told me once that the english girls got a kick out of teaching her naughty words, and always laughed when she used the world 'bloody'.  It's nothing today and not really the 'f-bomb' of its day, but still a bit inappropriate for polite company in the 40s, I'd expect.

Haha. I am the least angry person you'll ever meet in real life, and your question was fine. My scrutiny of the episode topics is just  so that little things from the books don't spoil it for you guys. It's a fine line, but it's fair of you to ask vaguely about the books and for the book posters to mention lightly how they feel about in comparison. I've never read a harlequin romance novel, but @Glaze Crazy is right. I would say that historical romance is the main genre of this show. You become attached to the characters though and I felt attached to Claire particularly in the first book.

As for her salty language and demeanour, the show did address this by having her grow up with her uncle the archaeologist who was probably a lot like Frank. Claire VOs she had an upbringing different than most girls of her class, and that may have helped her in the war.  

• Love 3

Good morning. I need to send out an apology and a thank you to all of you who pointed out things to me that I apparently either missed or didn't pay much attention to the first three times I watched this show. I watched it again last night for the fourth time. With my husband. I had mentioned to him that I thought Claire was walking around in a nightgown without a bra and panties (my hubby could care less about that to be honest). Anyway. I watched it again and saw things I didn't the first three times. Not sure if I just wasn't paying close attention, if I got pre-occupied with other things or my cable system skipped because there were scenes I do not recall seeing the first three times. Anyway. I was wrong. She was indeed wearing a beautiful belted white dress. You can see the slip underneath (not that it should of made a difference to me anyway). I appreciate everyone's insight into the series and look forward to reading more of your reviews, critics and opinions.

• Love 2

I will never understand why the word romance is considered something dirty or something to be ashamed of. That whoever is out there, is trying to say, or maybe has said, that this series is not a romance, but an "epic story" or whatever. The truth is, It is a romance. A historical romance, that also has intrigue, adventure, action, etc. And pardon my language, but what the FUCK is wrong with that? And now I'm thinking this post is better suited to the book thread instead? I dunno.

@Athena , please feel free to move it.

• Love 7

Also, and I say this with all respect to fans and risking Athena's angry boiling gaze

Can I just say that as one that doesn't want to be spoiled that I do appreciate Athena's gaze keeping me safe from spoilery type comments.  And so far, she has saved me more than once!  ::giggle::

• Love 4

I don't think she had on stockings when she and Frank went exploring Castle Leoch either.

I think she flashed Frank her garters, but everyone's right, stockings were a rare commodity.  I doubt that the shops would have restocked Oolong tea by October 1945, too.  since the War would have just been over in the Pacific a couple of months. 

As for her salty language and demeanour, the show did address this by having her grow up with her uncle the archaeologist who was probably a lot like Frank. Claire VOs she had an upbringing different than most girls of her class, and that may have helped her in the war.

And she was a combat nurse during the War; she probably heard the odd expletive over a stretcher.  I don't think Claire is supposed to be especially high-borh or high-class.  She's probably upper middle class, but certainly not an aristo.  She stands out in the 1740s Scotland because she does speak "better" than most would have, as noted by Black Jack Randall.  Speaking of which, I find it odd Black Jack's first response, when meeting a woman who was clearly English and well-spoken, was to draw his sword and try to rape her.  That's a little mustache-twirling for me.  In all likelihood, she was someone important and English (you know, if you assume time-travel doesn't happen!) -- it's not like she caught the 7:52 out of Victoria Station that morning to pop into Inverness. 

Good morning. I need to send out an apology and a thank you to all of you who pointed out things to me that I apparently either missed or didn't pay much attention to the first three times I watched this show. I watched it again last night for the fourth time.

No need to apologize!  It's hard for me to sit still and watch an entire hour-long TV show without any other distractions, so I often miss things.  I do think the dress was a bit lightweight and flimsy for a Highlands autumn, so you're not alone in scratching your head a bit.

Edited by annlaw78
  • Love 1

Someone up-thread said they thought Claire wasn't wearing stocking during her and Frank's walk around castle Leoch. I'm almost certain Claire gives him a flash of garter belt (the saucy minx) when she invites him to "give her a bath." But I've been away from a television for three day so I guess I'll have to make the sacrifice and watch it again tonight just to be sure .

And since we're all obsessing on Cait's costume (in the best possible way) there is a wee bit of a continuity gaff in the bandaging scene. She tears off strip of dress to make a bandage and then she soaks it in alcohol and dabs it on the wound. Fine. Then she starts wrapping a quite long piece of cloth around him. Where did that come from? Then she stands up to urge Dougal to let Jamie rest . . . and her dress is intact. Then she kneels back down and finishes tying the bandage. When she stands up again her dress is clearly torn in the front. I'm sure on the eighth viewing I'll come up with a plausible explanation. Or I'll ignore it and focus on Jamie's admiring gaze while she fusses at him or the sheepish look on his face when he says "Aye" admitting that it does hurt. "Good" says Claire. Love those moments.

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 2
I will never understand why the word romance is considered something dirty or something to be ashamed of. That whoever is out there, is trying to say, or maybe has said, that this series is not a romance, but an "epic story" or whatever. The truth is, It is a romance. A historical romance, that also has intrigue, adventure, action, etc.

I think that a lot of reviews for this show have hit upon why this show is so different: it is from a female perspective, with a "female gaze," something that really none of the other shows on premium cable have right now.  It's all about the male gaze, naked women as set-dressing, women as objects to be fought for/fought over.  It's sort of a bit like the fabulous speech of Stella Gibson in "The Fall" (which, if you like to see a strong female protagonist, you should check out on Netflix immediately!).  "Man [has sex] with woman" -- that is our cultural norm (subject = man, object = woman).  When you invert that to "Woman [has sex] with a man" (subject = woman, object = man), then all of a sudden that formula becomes very uncomfortable for some people.  "Romance" has the connotation of it's a love story/sexual scenes from a "woman's" perspective, which apparently is a turn off for some men. Or at least, from the perspective of TPTB in Hollywood, perceived to be a turn off for some men.  If you dare to show a sexual act or relationship from the women's perspective, it's dismissed as fluff, "romance," and stuff for bored housewives, whereas showing it from a man's perspective is "bold," "intelligent," and, perhaps most troubling -- "normal."

Edited by annlaw78
  • Love 10

I know that I may be in the minority, but I really do hope that they keep using Gaelic in the show. I have been trying to teach myself that language off and on for 15 years. I think it is beautiful. I wonder if any of the actors are native speakers. (There are a few left.)

I really liked it. I read these books in my early teans, 18 years or so ago. I can't say that I remember every detail but that is ok. Anyway, here's hoping that I actually do have this channel and this weekend was not just a freebie-weekend.

• Love 2

I will never understand why the word romance is considered something dirty or something to be ashamed of. That whoever is out there, is trying to say, or maybe has said, that this series is not a romance, but an "epic story" or whatever. The truth is, It is a romance. A historical romance, that also has intrigue, adventure, action, etc. And pardon my language, but what the FUCK is wrong with that? And now I'm thinking this post is better suited to the book thread instead? I dunno.

@Athena , please feel free to move it.

Romance has become a dirty word it seems!  I was able to watch with my husband finally, who only knew the basic premise of the show and that I'm constantly reading these books, and he loved it.  He even said so what if this is filed under romance.  What show really doesn't have it?  He even pointed out that Lost, one of our favorites, had more than it's fair share of romance.  Interestingly that show is not labeled as such.  

Trying hard not to get into the books and just talk about this episode, but "love" is being used here because it is something most people can relate to and it is what moves people.  You need to have a motivation that will drive these people to do what they will do.  

I tried to read the books ages ago but couldn't get into it because of the first person narrative.  I just can't read fiction in first person.  It bugs me.

They showed the pilot on Encore and it was fabulous.  The leads are oozing chemistry.  So now I have a dilemma.  Is the later airing on Encore just a one time thing to suck people in or are they going to do that throughout the season?  Because I don't have STARZ and last time I called the cable company to get HBO for GoT it didn't go so well and I really don't want to repeat the experience to get Outlander.

• Love 1

I know that I may be in the minority, but I really do hope that they keep using Gaelic in the show. I have been trying to teach myself that language off and on for 15 years. I think it is beautiful. I wonder if any of the actors are native speakers. (There are a few left.)

I really liked it. I read these books in my early teans, 18 years or so ago. I can't say that I remember every detail but that is ok. Anyway, here's hoping that I actually do have this channel and this weekend was not just a freebie-weekend.

Sin thu fhéin, Enigma!  Glad to hear you're keeping on with the learning.  There are many Gaelic speakers here still where I'm from -- brought over from The Highlands with our ancestors, and we have a few native ones still with us and from whom are our greatest teachers.  It's so refreshing to see it spoken amongst our young ones now, and many of our schools have a Gaelic curriculum.  Many schools in Scotland now look to us to see how we've kept the language alive here, as they realize how important it is to ensure the young ones maintain their mother tongue. 

Read the first books many moons ago, and hope the series won't disappoint--sometimes you have in your head how things/people "should be", and then the casting and/or story line disappoints!  So far, so good...  :)

• Love 1

I'm sure on the eighth viewing I'll come up with a plausible explanation. Or I'll ignore it and focus on Jamie's admiring gaze while she fusses at him or the sheepish look on his face when he says "Aye" admitting that it does hurt. "Good" says Claire. Love those moments.

I like that Jamie seems genuinely amused by the fact that Claire is kind of mean to him.  There's the part mentioned above where she's like "does it hurt now?" and he says "aye" and smiles and then there is a part where I think he is talking about having to move his shoulder or he'd never be able to move anything again (because he'd be dead), and then he tells Claire that it's OK, she can just fix him up again when they get to the Castle.  Claire responds, "That's what you think" and you can see Jamie behind her on the horse laughing.  He seems to dig the attitude.  

It's very strange how Sam Heughan (Jamie) can look so different in various scenes.  When we first meet Jamie by the fire, he seems younger and his voice even sounds higher pitched.  At the end there where Claire is fixing up Jamie's gunshot wound under the tree at night, he looks much older and his voice is deeper.

I'm OK with there being no subtitles when they are speaking Gaelic.  You can pretty much get an idea of what is being said anyways.  When Jamie and Dougal were discussing the possibility of an ambush, you could figure out what they were talking about. 

Edited by SonofaBiscuit
  • Love 1

Haven't read the books, haven't read much about the show before seeing the pilot either, so I was rather unspoiled about it. It got my attention because I read, there will be a new show having a woman in the middle of the story, time travel putting her into a past Scotland. Enough for me to give it a try, being even more of a history buff than the sci-fi geek I am as well. Had even more interest in the show after I saw that Bear McCreary is responsible for the score - I like his work, there was always a slight Scottish touch in his music, pipes and drums, and I was more than curious about his take on Scottish music, having a thing for pipes and drum myself. If it comes to score music I like to see the pictures connecting with it.

The pilot was good so will come back for the next episodes, it made me curious about the characters. As it was some nice cinematography, good story pace, and some great moments in the music. McCreary has posted about the episode on his block , if anyone is interested.

There was a funny moment when I re-watched the episode with the closed captions on.  There was a Gaelic word, used twice, that the captioner mistook for English and mistakenly captioned as a result.   When Murtaugh rescues Claire he puts out his hand to her and says something in Gaelic which clearly means "Let's go" or "Come on!".  Dougal says the same word as the horses depart from the hut.  The closed-captions say "Druid" which makes no sense in that context.  It confused the heck out of me for a moment.  I looked on-line to see what the Gaelic translation is for "Let's go" or "Come on" but I could not find it.

I heard "trobhad", one of the few words I kinda know in Gaelic, a friend used occasionally Gaelic dog commands. Means come, pronounced something like traw-utt. And confirmed on this blog: http://greatscotblog.com/2014/08/03/outlander-episode-101-sassenach-the-gaidhlig-bits-i-could-decipher/ There is more about the Gaelic used in the episode on there.

And I am fine with no subtitles. Makes it interesting to see how much body language and circumstances can tell.

I don't know. I really didn't feel the chemistry between Claire and Jamie

Maybe not the chemistry of two people instantly falling in love with each other, but there was enough in their body language and looks to tell, there is curiosity, they are intrigued, though themselves hardly sure why, but I could feel something starting there. Claire and Frank had the right chemistry telling me their marriage was not some convenience but an emotional connection. As well though could sense a slight awkwardness between them, what years of being mostly apart while in a dramatic time can create.Just after watching the the pilot I can see already an interesting difference looming in the feelings Claire might have for Jamie and for Frank.

Found the near rape scene somewhat contrived, because, really, in a moment of battle or hunting people or whatever they were doing that is what a captain, an officer, the leader of the expedition is thinking of, to have his way with a woman in the woods? And with a woman who sounded hardly like a woman from around? Whatever. Immediately knew that this was Frank's ancestor, " Black Jack" Jonathan Randall, the one they had been talking about with the reverend earlier. Remembering Frank's excitement though to find Black Jack mentioned in historical documents, a sense of admiration there, the near rape set an interesting contrast: the difference what is remembered of history, or what historians see in it, read into it, assume and write, and how it might have looked in the time itself and from a different perspective. There is often more than one view, more than one truth.

Edited by katusch
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Abhainn, tapadh leibh. I am not very good. Learning from a book (Scottish Gaelic book and not the source material for the show) is still very hard. I guess at how certain words are supposed to sound. 

I posted earlier that I loved, loved, loved the pilot.  Still do.  Got Starz to watch it throughout the season and probably watched the pilot again a good 3 times over the weekend.

As far as pilots go, I think this one was PERFECTION.  The pace was just quick enough to get a feel for the characters without dragging and it certainly left me wanting more and anticipating what was coming.  As others have pointed out, the score is gorgeous and the scenery is stunning.  I am also a never-read-the-book poster and have no mental images to use with Claire, Frank, Jamie, et al but I think all the actors nailed their parts.

I have started listening to the audio version.  I may give the books a go but audio is working well for me, since I seem to be very ADD with my books these days.  

• Love 1

I thought Claire and Jamie had nice chemistry of the kind  where there is a mutual being somewhat intrigued by each other. Anything more at this point would make Claire look flighty in my eyes and I couldn't root for her. After all while the ancestor Black Jack looks to be a nasty guy her husband is a decent man and seems to adore her.

I have never even heard of these books before I started seeing previews for the Starz series so I have nothing other than the previews and a few articles I read to  color my opinion.

I started getting the idea that this had a strong historical romance angle and that is what got me interested.  I am a sucker for a romance. I am not sure if that will be a main story line or not but I hope so.

My thoughts:

-I am still confused as to why she time traveled.  Is that explained further or did I just miss it?  I guess that the rock formations hold some kind of "specialness" but...what, exactly?

-I had a very hard time understanding some of Claire and Frank's conversations, just because of the accents. Not all of them but some. Weirdly, I had no trouble understanding the Scottish characters when they spoke English.

-How old is everyone supposed to be?  Claire appears to be maybe early 30's, Frank appears to be late 30's, Jaime appears to be late 20's.  Is that right?

-Everything was really beautifully shot. Everything.

-Still not sure who the person was outside of the hotel who was staring at Claire through the window was. My thought was it was supposed to be Jaime who somehow time traveled to the 1940's but that may be way off. I know it can't be answered here, just pointing out that it was not obvious to me who it was.

- The only tiny nitpick I have is that Claire was not freaking out enough about her predicament.  I feel like most anyone would be going absolutely crazy, asking everyone where they were, what year is it, etc.  She,so far, has not even mentioned it. Aside from when she first woke up, she didn't even seem that disturbed by the fact that she had time traveled to what was very obviously a very different time

-The voice-overs did not bother me at all. I liked them, in fact.

- I love Claire and Jaime already.  Frank who?

-I'm in for the TV series. Not sure when or if I will read the books, even though I am dying to know what happens.  It seems like big undertaking that I don't have time for right now. Eventually maybe.

-Is it Saturday yet?

• Love 2

I posted earlier that I loved, loved, loved the pilot.  Still do.  Got Starz to watch it throughout the season and probably watched the pilot again a good 3 times over the weekend.

As far as pilots go, I think this one was PERFECTION.  The pace was just quick enough to get a feel for the characters without dragging and it certainly left me wanting more and anticipating what was coming.  As others have pointed out, the score is gorgeous and the scenery is stunning.  I am also a never-read-the-book poster and have no mental images to use with Claire, Frank, Jamie, et al but I think all the actors nailed their parts.

I have started listening to the audio version.  I may give the books a go but audio is working well for me, since I seem to be very ADD with my books these days.  

Oh my psychoticstate.  I think we may be twin siblings separated at birth but inexplicably drawn to doing the same thing although far apart we be.  I, too, come to the Outlander TV show as a virgin, not having read the books.  I have a friend who is a diehard fan and she mentioned the upcoming series and that I really needed to watch it and I really should read the books.  I tried, but for some reason I was finding time for all sorts of other things other than reading.  So I also got the audio book and I'm away to the races now.

About the show, the premiere episode?  LOVED IT!!  Loved everything about it.  The sights and colours, the sounds, the stunning locales of Scotland, the characters, the little bits of humour...everything.  I didn't have any mental picture of what Claire should be like or how Jamie should look but I can't imagine anyone that disappointed in the casting choices.  Caitriona Balfe and Sam Heughan (swa-woon and sigh) are fantastic as are all the other actors.  Special shout-outs to Tobias Menzies and Graham McTavish.

My father was a proud Glaswegian and the love of Scotland runs strong through my veins.  As does a love for the fantastical and a good romance. I am chomping at the bit for the next episode and I expect I'll be chomping at the bit week by week by week by week until this glorious tale comes to an end.

Edited by onthebrink03
  • Love 3

I had not heard of the books either. I only watched the pilot on demand yesterday because they were hyping it sooooo much on demand basic menu.  I am so incredibly grateful that I did! Wow!!  I loved the VO because it gave me a view of what Claire had gone through- where her head was at.  I totally believe that she would barge in when she saw they were setting Jaime's arm wrong- no nurse would just sit by and watch something like that. I also loved the war scene where she was working on the guy with injured leg taking control of the situation and doing what needed to be done until the Dr. could get to that patient. The calm mental acuity of anyone working under that kind of stress day in and day out would be the only thing that saved a person's sanity. So- her calmly looking for a logical explanation as to where the car and the road went when she woke up makes since to me. Also, that she knew she was at the mercy of these men and stayed back and observed was smart.  Love this!!!! Cannot wait for Saturday.

• Love 2

Im sure Claire  could pretty accurately know  when she was simply because she had been just told who Blackjack Randall was in the Highlands and the fact that Culloden had not yet happened. She might not have the exact date, but that can wait a bit.