Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Sassenach

Athena
  • Start Topic

Can I just give a shout-out to the sound editor?  I love, love, love what he did when Claire went to Craigh na Dun.  As she approaches the stones in 1945 there is gentle background music -- the sort we are accustomed to and hardly notice.  It fades as the sound of the stones is heard.  Then there is sudden silence when she touches the stone and we go to black, then there is voice over and creepy mood music behind the slow-mo car tumbling scene (which I loved, BTW) and then -- no music at all.  The "otherness" that Claire awakens to is signaled not just by the change in color saturation that others have mentioned, it is also signaled by the lack of music.  All you hear while Claire wanders around are the sounds of nature.  That is until the very loud gunshot that I hope made everyone jump the same way I did.  Then creepy violin/cello music starts, as the voice-over resumes, confirming that "something is not right" and then, after the redcoat fires right at Claire, we get the bagpipes -- OMG the bagpipes!  And everything switches into high gear.

God I just loved that.  Brilliantly done.

I want to give a shout-out as well to two secondary characters.  One is  Murtaugh who rescues Claire from Black Jack Randall.  He delivers one of the best lines of the episode.  "She was having words with a certain captain of dragoons with whom we are acquaint.  There seemed to be some question as to whether the lady was or was not a whore" (pronounced "whoo-er").  Brilliant line delivery.  I love the man already.  And of course he "stakes his best shirt" that she's not a "whoo-er" so we know the man has good judgement.

And then there's Graham McTavish as Dougal.  I was already a fan because of his terrific performance as Dwalin in The Hobbit but he makes a very serious and very imposing Dougal.  That very last scene as he leads the group to Castle Leoch -- could he look any more regal?

This show has a great cast including great supporting players, as well as great costumes, locations and sound design.  We are in for such a fun ride.

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 13

You are absolutely right about Graham McTavish. I thought he was amazing as Dougal. Especially on the horses at the end, when he questions how Claire can know about the Cock's Tail ambush and then after the ambush when he rides around Jamie and Claire with that suspicious look in his eye.

Just on point the whole time.

• Love 2

Can I just give a shout-out to the sound editor?  I love, love, love what he did when Claire went to Craigh na Dun.  As she approaches the stones in 1945 there is gentle background music -- the sort we are accustomed to and hardly notice.  It fades as the sound of the stones is heard.  Then there is sudden silence when she touches the stone and we go to black, then there is voice over and creepy mood music behind the slow-mo car tumbling scene (which I loved, BTW) and then -- no music at all.  The "otherness" that Claire awakens to is signaled not just by the change in color saturation that others have mentioned, it is also signaled by the lack of music.  All you hear while Claire wanders around are the sounds of nature.  That is until the very loud gunshot that I hope made everyone jump the same way I did.  Then creepy violin/cello music starts, as the voice-over resumes, confirming that "something is not right" and then, after the redcoat fires right at Claire, we get the bagpipes -- OMG the bagpipes!  And everything switches into high gear.

That was good. And I think some credit goes to Bear McCreary as well. I always know I'm in for good-to-stellar music when I see his name in the credits. 

• Love 3

Cate Blanchett, except brunette?

Yes and I also think she has some Evangeline Lilly, Sienna Miller, Rebecca Hall & Claire Danes. I think it's the hooded eyes.

I don't think there's ever been an actress that's reminded me of so many other actresses.

I have Outlander on audio and have tried to listen twice, without success.  Watching this, I wasn't expecting much but I was hooked almost immediately.  I love, love, love time travel and this was so beautifully shot and the acting is superb. I don't have Starz but I'll be calling my cable company to add it on because I don't think I can wait until this is out on DVD.

• Love 5

Ok I watched again.  They are sure paying attention to detail of the times.  Claire even has hairy armpits!(with Frank at the B&B after the ghost) 

Edited by peacefrog
  • LOL 1

This is a little random, but please tell me I'm not the only one who says, "Sassenach," out loud in a deep husky voice everytime they click on this thread? It's just a word that I can't read without also saying it out loud. I'm not sure what the deal is.

• Love 2

I really enjoyed it, although I am on edge hoping it is 'good' and not just "wonderful" because I've been waiting for this show since 1995! I am holding my breath hoping against hope the actors are good enough, and their chemistry works. Sam is a bit of an enigma still - I found it interesting the way the tone of his voice and delivery changed in the scene where he brought Claire back from her attempted escape - the delivery of the 'tough guy' threatening lines was so awkward and forced that in the trailer I thought he was going to be a terrible actor, but in context, Jamie is uncomfortable playing that role with this mysterious, apparently worldly and wanton woman, so it is mostly bluff and bluster. . . that moment after she conceded to coming with him, his whole demeanour shifted as if he could be himself with the cheeky 'I guess you'll be coming with me then', and there was Jamie Fraser. Can't wait to see the chemistry build!!!!

I like Catriona as Claire much more than expected from the trailers - I was so worried she was going to be a damsel in distress, when she unleashed her little blasphemy-strewn tirade on the appalled band of highlanders I knew they cast the right actress. Loved the love scene in the castle - it really foreshadows that 'woman acting like a man' stuff which is so shocking to the 18th C folk.

I suspect the voiceovers are more annoying for book-readers as we know what is happening, and what will happen. I hated them as it really felt like she was stating the obvious, but I'd be interested to hear how non-book readers took them? I also hate her expletive of choice 'Jesus H Roosevelt Christ' - it always took me out of the book as a reader, and it does the same as a viewer, I just don't find it convincing that it would come out of Claire's mouth. All of the hells and bastards and bloodies were much more natural - she is British after all! I get that she would have picked up a lot of her more colourful terms while nursing at the front, but still find the JHRC forced. It has too many syllables to really function well as a four letter word IMHO.

• Love 2

I don't mind "Jesus H. Roosevelt Christ". To me, the problem with it in the show was the delivery. And I always liked it in the books.

In the books,

going through the stones nearly kills people. In the show Claire merely feels like she's falling or disoriented by a skidding car. Then she's lying peacefully on the ground with her shawl spread out neatly underneath her.

I sure seem to be odd one out on this forum. :-)

Edited by Athena

My clansmen and women, please remember you are in the episode topic and any in depth comparisons or mentions about the books should be in the Book Talk topics. I moved one post to Books vs. Show. Thank ye. 

• Love 2

I was turned on to this by a fellow PTV Member (thanks @Athena ).

She called it right.  It has everything I want.  The UK (Scotland, yippee), history and time travel. 

I don't know anything at all about the books, so I am just watching as a first time viewer.  I felt this was a great introduction.  Great way for me to meet the characters and I found myself engrossed in the story immediately.

I felt out of place not knowing what they were saying in Gaelic.  But as someone mentioned, it kind of put me in the same position as Claire, trying to figure it all out.

The scenery was breathtaking.  The acting was superb.  The guy that plays Jamie is yummy.  The story line is intriguing. 

I think I am hooked.

• Love 4

I like Jamie so far and Dougal too. In fact, there isn't much I disliked. It was slow so I'm not sure how much it will hook in casual viewers. Definitely for those viewers who love period pieces. Great music too. 

I guess I am what you call a casual viewer?  As one let me say that I didn't feel that it moved slow at all.  I think in fact that it was perfectly timed.  I had to get to know who these two people were.  I had to understand the dynamic of them being apart and then being put back together.  I had to get a clue as to what their strengths were and now I see how they are going to be played out into the movie.

I had to ask @Athena earlier if the dude that played the Redcoat was the same dude as Frank.  I didn't catch earlier that Frank had talked about one of his descendents being a Redcoat.  This tells me that rewatchability is a given, and I don't even mind because I am already interested in every detail. 

• Love 3

@BizBuzz , I don't know about you, but it had been so long since I'd read the books, I'd forgotten about Redcoat Randall. Even if I hadn't read the books (I've only read like 3.3), seeing it was the same actor, and that Redcoat had the same last name, my mind would have went there--Ewww, Rapist Redcoat is Frank's ancestor!

But that's just me.

• Love 1

I guess I am what you call a casual viewer?  As one let me say that I didn't feel that it moved slow at all.  I think in fact that it was perfectly timed.  I had to get to know who these two people were.  I had to understand the dynamic of them being apart and then being put back together.  I had to get a clue as to what their strengths were and now I see how they are going to be played out into the movie.

I would call you more of a nonbook viewer. Hehe. I think to me a casual viewer is a person who hasn't heard of the books and doesn't really know what this is. I told you about it because I know you like UK and period pieces. So I'm still wondering how this show will do. Then again, it's Starz so it's not like they need a lot of numbers. 

I'm glad you found that the pacing was just right for the pilot. I think they did a great job. 

• Love 3

I really liked this, haven't read the books, the previews caught my attention. Of course I was pretty much waiting for Claire to travel back in time the whole first half. The leads have great chemistry, I love Jamie's awkward bravado when he talks to Claire, you can see how intrigued he is by this spirited woman. I like Claire too and I liked that her relationship with her husband was strained but loving. I love Scottish accents so I'm in. 

I don't know if should start reading the book now or wait until the show is over? 

• Love 1

I don't know if should start reading the book now or wait until the show is over? 

Welcome, @Sakura12 ! I'm glad you like it. 

As for the books, some of us have read and enjoyed the books, but they are not for everyone. If you have the time, you could try it out, but reading the book is not mandatory for enjoying the show or discussing it here. I've tried to create an environment where non book readers can enjoy the show in some of the threads here. 

Enjoy!

• Love 3

Another one here who has not read the books.  My interest was piqued a while back when I saw a photo of...well all I remember are the kilts, really.  I saw some GIF sets online and wondered why photos of a brunette Cate Blanchett (yeah, I know it's not really her) were in a GIF set with photos of men in kilts!  I read positive feedback on the show, so I watched the free preview on my DVR.

I really enjoyed this first episode.  I just figured that the Claire voice-overs were necessary in the pilot episode because she was alone in so many scenes and didn't have anyone to interact with, so I'm hoping that those go away.  I also thought that the Jesus H Roosevelt Christ thing was completely dumb, so I'm hoping that goes away too.  We can keep the term Sassenach because Jamie sounds completely sexy saying that

I found myself really anxious to get to the time-travel part of the episode.  Eh, goodbye Frank.  I won't miss you or your fun! historical facts. 

The way that Jamie looks at Claire and lets her manhandle him while fixing him up?  Yes, I think this will lead to some nice sexual tension all season long.  Seriously, I can't believe that this is the same guy that was in the Hallmark movie A Princess for Christmas.  Quite sexy, indeed.

• Love 4

Gotta say I'm frustrated with the "countdown" to the premiere on social media because as far as I'm concerned it's not "two days" --- it's NINE days.  Nine more days 'til we get the next episode and the waiting is KILLING me.  Okay fine, I've practically memorized the first episode so I might as well dive into some minutiae.  So, did anyone else notice the slim, young, clean-shaven member of Dougal's gang. The one with the long, flowing locks?  You see him most clearly after Jamie dumps Claire out of the saddle and cries "Havoc, unleash the  dogs of war!" in Gaelic.  Okay I have no idea what he actually yells in Gaelic but it would be pretty f**king awesome if that's what he said.  Anyway, the elvish looking Highlander takes off right after him.  You see him again reaching to share a nip with the older dude at the very end of the scene where they toast Claire for ratting out the redcoats near Cock-a-doodle Rock.  So anyway, the reason I bring him up is that he reminds me of the extra played by New Zealand actor/singer/songwriter Bret McKenzie in The Fellowship of the Rings.  He had a non-speaking role and was barely on camera -- just a cute dude in a robe at the edge of the "Council of Elrond" scene but he got a LOT of attention online.  He appears just after Frodo offers to take the ring to Mordor so the online community named him "Figwit" which stands for "Frodo is great . . . who is THAT?"  He got so much attention that they actually gave him a speaking role in Return of the King and an even bigger speaking role in the first Hobbit movie.  He also won an Academy Award for writing the music for the most recent Muppet Movie but I digress.  Ladies and gentlemen I think we may have a similar situation on our hands.  I think our slim, young, elvish Highlander has the the potential to grab some online attention, particularly from the younger set.  Shall we name him "Jigwit"? for Jamie is great . . .who is THAT?  <crickets>  Anyone?  <crickents>  Fine, I'll go back to obsessively watching the the second half of the first episode and giggling like a schoolgirl when Jamie says "Well then, I guess you're coming with me."  

Is it next Saturday yet?

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 5

Gotta say I'm frustrated with the "countdown" to the premiere on social media because as far as I'm concerned it's not "two days" --- it's NINE days.  Nine more days 'til we get the next episode and the waiting is KILLING me.  Okay fine, I've practically memorized the first episode so I might as well dive into some minutiae.  So, did anyone else notice the slim, young, clean-shaven member of Dougal's gang. The one with the long, flowing locks?  You see him most clearly after Jamie dumps Claire out of the saddle and cries "Havoc, unleash the  dogs of war!" in Gaelic.  Okay I have no idea what he actually yells in Gaelic but it would be pretty f**king awesome if that's what he said.  Anyway, the elvish looking Highlander takes off right after him.  You see him again reaching to share a nip with the older dude at the very end of the scene where they toast Claire for ratting out the redcoats near Cock-a-doodle Rock.  So anyway, the reason I bring him up is that he reminds me of the extra played by New Zealand actor/singer/songwriter Bret McKenzie in The Fellowship of the Rings.  He had a non-speaking role and was barely on camera -- just a cute dude in a robe at the edge of the "Council of Elrond" scene but he got a LOT of attention online.  He appears just after Frodo offers to take the ring to Mordor so the online community named him "Figwit" which stands for "Frodo is great . . . who is THAT?"  He got so much attention that they actually gave him a speaking role in Return of the King and an even bigger speaking role in the first Hobbit movie.  He also won an Academy Award for writing the music for the most recent Muppet Movie but I digress.  Ladies and gentlemen I think we may have a similar situation on our hands.  I think our slim, young, elvish Highlander has the the potential to grab some online attention, particularly from the younger set.  Shall we name him "Jigwit"? for Jamie is great . . .who is THAT?  <crickets>  Anyone?  <crickents>  Fine, I'll go back two obsessively watching the the second half of the first episode and giggling like a schoolgirl when Jamie says "Well then, I guess you're coming with me."  

Is it next Saturday yet?

I'm gonna have to watch again and look for this guy.  

I too am having trouble being patient!!

• Love 2

Oof, don't tell me that the show moves slowly. I've stalled out at 20% (according to my kindle, although I feel like it might be lying to me) and I was looking forward to the TV version in the hopes that it would move at a quicker pace.

• Love 1

I read the first book way, way back when I was in college (and had more time on my hands) and I've made it through the first four books, so I am duly excited. That said these books are actually longer than the Game of Thrones books and there are already eight of them. If you are looking to get into them, I recommend the audiobooks. The narrator, Davina Porter is great and you can listen while you do the laundry or whatever. I don't know how else anyone would have time to get through them.

Otherwise, just let show read the book to you. It sounds like it's going to be pretty faithful.

• Love 2

If you are looking to get into them, I recommend the audiobooks. The narrator, Davina Porter is great and you can listen while you do the laundry or whatever. I don't know how else anyone would have time to get through them.

I second this recommendation. I actually listened to half of the first book and some of the second. I got impatient and read the rest of the books. Even now, I can hear Porter's voice sometimes when reading the books. She did an excellent job. 

I do not think the books are necessary for the enjoyment of the show though. The books aren't for everyone, so no pressure on any new viewers to get into them.

• Love 1

Ok, I hate feeling like the resident idiot.  Can someone please help me out?

Who was the person in the square peeping at Claire?

I didn't ask before because I assumed it would be spoilery, but Matt D's overview suggests that I should have been able to figure this out on a second viewing.  Now I've watched it twice, and ???  The person seemed too small to be Jamie.

p.s. I loved that so much time was spent in the 20th century.  The readers and non-readers alike can hear the JamieTrain coming before he's ever introduced, but it's nice to have an opportunity to be TeamFrank for a while. 

Edited by some1105
  • Love 2

Ok, I hate feeling like the resident idiot. Can someone please help me out?

Who was the person in the square peeping at Claire?

I didn't ask before because I assumed it would be spoilery, but Matt D's overview suggests that I should have been able to figure this out on a second viewing. Now I've watched it twice, and ???

If you don't mind being spoiled you can ask in the books vs. show thread.

• Love 3

Very excited to see this show! I made it through the first 5 of the books (well, I read really quickly so that is a big advantage - they are very long) and the historical setting is the best!

A truly fascinating period in English/Scottish history that has big ramifications for U.S. history, actually, and if the series keeps going perhaps we'll get "across the pond" as well.

The casting looks really good too. Yay for Starz!

Edited by Athena
Book Spoiler
  • Love 1

I like that they spent most of the time with Claire and Frank before she time travels. I just finished the first book, but didn't really pay attention until she hit 1743. I won't be thinking "Frank who?" (as much) watching the show.

Jamie is super hot. I approve.

• Love 2

Nitpick of the day -- the Scots in this series are not wearing modern kilts, they are wearing (appropriately) the féileadh-mór or belted plaid, a "large blanket-like piece of fabric which is wrapped around one's body with the material pleated or, more accurately, loosely gathered and secured at the waist by means of a belt."

So . . . when Dougal orders one of his men to give Claire his belt so that she can use it as a sling on Jamie, how does he keep his plaid up afterward?  Poor wee lad's probably running around in a plaid sarong for the rest of the trip.

• Love 9

And the journey through the stones was pathetic IMO.

I have to agree with you on this point. In general, I loved the first episode but her journey through the stone was underwhelming, to say the least. There was absolutely no sense of the terror and chaos and actual screaming that Claire experienced going through.

One difference that I liked a lot was the fleshing out of Frank's character and the more sympathetic view of him. I always got kind of a jerk vibe from him in the book, but TV!Frank seemed sweet and devoted, if somewhat troubled by his war experience. I like him a lot, whereas I never cared about Book!Frank. I wonder if we'll see snippets of Frank all season or if this is it.

I agree.  I liked that they made Frank more of a contender.  It also made for a better juxtaposition to Black Jack Randall -- how horrifying it must have been, to have someone who looks just like the husband you love call you a whore and try to rape you.  

She reminds me of someone.

Cate Blanchett, except brunette?

Claire Forlani to me.  She was poised to be "the next big thing" after Meet Joe Black, but that never quite happened.  She has a good way of being authoritative and smart, yet also conveying her helpless in this situation... without being all damsel-in-distressy about it.  

I've read the books and was not entirely sure what to expect from an adaption -- but Gabaldon herself has been selling it so hard via social media, I thought I'd give it a try. What a visual treat! This actually went FAR beyond my expectations and I very much look forward to seeing more at some point (I'm on deployment and can't get STARZ till I get home this fall.)

I join those who weren't a fan of BookFrank -- I also feel this series gives him more depth and makes him more sympathetic as a character at this stage of the story. Neither Balfe nor Heughan (or Menzies, for that matter) are what I pictured as I read the books -- but I think they do one hell of a job selling their characters.

As for the Gaelic, I thought the lack of subtitles was the right move. (I will add that as an American in Scotland 15 years ago, I had a dreadful time understanding English spoken with a heavy Scottish accent! I would hear people speaking, assume it was Gaelic and only later realize it was English. Mortifying.)

• Love 2

I had not heard anything about this show but my sister (who has not read the books) mentioned she was excited to watch it based on the previews.  Afterwards she told me how much she liked it so I checked it out.  So as someone who knows nothing of the books and had not even seen a preview, I will say I enjoyed it quite a bit. I liked the voice overs and found them helpful, I appreciated the slow build -- a little too much, I was sad to leave "modern" times and Frank who I was just starting to warm up to, and I thought all the acting and chemistry between everyone worked well. 

The only part that slightly annoyed me was how bossy and outspoken Claire was given her precarious circumstances. For a military nurse does Claire have any survival instincts at all?  She's surrounded by, maybe eight guys who may or may not be planning to do her harm, yikes, proceed with a bit of caution in that situation instead of telling them all off.  I cringed for her because I was halfway afraid someone was going to haul off and hit her, forcing me to hate the show before I even got through the pilot,  but she came through it just fine. 

I feel better now that I've come here and it appears her outspokenness is a big part of her personality in the books so it makes more sense to me now.

When my sister explained the episode to me from her summary my first thought was that Claire would eventually fall in love with Black Jack but then, what, she married her own great, great, great, greatˣ grandson? Ew. My other thought was that they were making a point of showing so much sex between her and Frank because she would wind up pregnant in the past, but now after actually watching the episode I think I was pretty off on both counts.  I'm interested to see where they're going with it.  Is it wrong that I'm hoping for more Frank flashbacks as the series progresses?  Kind of how Continuum flashed back to the "future" even as the heroine lived in the past?

Edited by Blue Girl
  • Love 1

The Outlander books have been on my "To Read" list for ages, I just have never actually gotten around to it. When I heard STARZ was doing an adaptation, I decided to hold off on reading the books, so I could get into the show without knowing what's going to happen, or becoming that person who is constantly comparing the books to the adaptation (like what happened when I read A Song of Ice and Fire after the first season of Game of Thrones. I love both, but its so hard not to compare!). So I came into this blind, and I loved it!

I love a good historical fiction story, and adding time travel to the mix? And the beautiful Scottish backdrop? And actual Gaelic being spoken? And Scottish accents? I am fully onboard this train, wherever it takes me.

I hope we get to see at least a little more of Frank and Claire. I really liked the glimpses we got of their relationship. However, the main Scottish guy? I can see how they would be appealing, and I already think the actors play well with each other, so who knows. As I said, I am on board.

The only problem? I want more right now, and the books just seem so tempting! To read, or not to read...

• Love 4