Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Sassenach

Athena
  • Start Topic

In the series premiere of this cable drama, a married British combat nurse time-travels from World War II to 1743 Scotland, is kidnapped by Highlanders and tends to an injured young warrior.

If you want to watch this episode on TV and not be spoiled, get out of this topic now. Spoilers below! 

Please save your book comparisons for the book topics. 

I haven't decided whether to catch the show early or wait for 8/9! 

My husband has not read the books but is looking forward to the series but he won't be able to watch it until the 9th. I'm tempted to sneak a peek!

• Love 1

I just saw it on demand. It was so good!!

Casting is great. Jamie is exactly how I imagined him to be.

These are some of my favorite novels and so far they look like they are going to get it right. Looking forward to seeing Jamie and Claire connect. Good chemistry so far between the leads

The only bad thing was it ended way too soon. 2 weeks is a long time to see the next episode!!!

• Love 4

I was so impressed by the first episode. Caitriona Balfe is brilliant as Claire and embodied both her fire and her humor perfectly. I agree that two weeks is too long to wait. I can't wait to see the rest of this series.

Well me holding out didn't last very long, caved at 10:00 am! 

I loved it.  I love the opening credits song but don't like it for an opening credit song.  I would have liked something stronger or more majestic.

All the houses and rooms in 1945 Scotland were bigger than I pictured in my mind.  The cast nailed it and I have no doubt this is going to be great!

• Love 2

I'm watching it now as I type this and the scenes of Scotland make me yearn tae go bauch to Bonny Scotland, aye, it does!  I like how Clair's internal voiceovers fill in the gap of being in Clair's head in the book. it helps with the exposition, if you will.

• Love 2

Well I really enjoyed it too. It did not follow as closely to the book as I thought Moore and all the interviews/panels implied, but that didn't impact my enjoyment much. Everything was beautifully shot, the music is perfect, and I thought all the actors did a great job. 

One difference that I liked a lot was the fleshing out of Frank's character and the more sympathetic view of him. I always got kind of a jerk vibe from him in the book, but TV!Frank seemed sweet and devoted, if somewhat troubled by his war experience. I like him a lot, whereas I never cared about Book!Frank. I wonder if we'll see snippets of Frank all season or if this is it.

I read a review that mentioned the difference in color saturation for the different times and that really stood out to me while I was watching. Everything in the 1940s is very gray, but as soon as we see Claire laying on the ground in the 1700s, everything is highly saturated. That seems to make an interesting statement about which time Claire really "belongs" in...which one is "better" or more "real" so to speak. The reviewer compared it to the B&W and color use in The Wizard of Oz though, so maybe that's as much of a statement as they were trying to make. It seems like, from the voiceovers, that this is Claire telling the story of what has happened to her a long time ago, so maybe it's just that her memories of her arrival in the 1700s are more vivid than her memories of her life before that...still, I guess that says something too...

By the way, how do spoilers work for a show that comes from a book? Is it a spoiler to talk about something from a part of the book that hasn't been shown on the show yet? I've never watched a show that was an adaptation before. There was something that bugged me that was left out of this episode that I'd like to discuss, but to talk about it I'd have to talk about how it will impact events that haven't happened yet. Can I discuss that here or is there another place for that?

• Love 3

@Petunia846 , I'm thinking we'll probably need to start a thread for that, since the other book 1 thread we have is to discuss the book.  Maybe like a Book v. Show thread with a spoiler flag on it?  @Athena , can you jump in and let us know?  Thanks.

I just finished watching it and I really enjoyed it. Slow beginning, but then I'm looking forward to all the 1700 stuff. And like you, I didn't like BookFrank, but found myself liking him. And all the Scots' brogues! I do wish that they would provide subtitles for when they speak Gaelic. I wanna know what they're saying!

• Love 2

Petunia.....they should NOT provide subtitles IMO.  That is part of the story.  We don't understand what they are saying but more to he point, Claire does NOT understand.  Adds to her confusion....and ours.   Oops, just realized it was not Petunia who posted this but GHScorpiosRule replying to Petunia.  Sorry.....red faced.

Edited by dustoffmom
  • Like 1

And all the Scots' brogues! I do wish that they would provide subtitles for when they speak Gaelic. I wanna know what they're saying!

Have you heard their reasoning for not having the subtitles? They said it is to make the viewer feel like Claire, to identify with her, since she doesn't understand it either. I can appreciate that thought, but I'm also curious like you. Maybe they could have an online extra or something later where they keep teaching us Gaelic by explaining what was said in each episode.

• Love 3

I don't know. I can still identify with Clair if I, as a viewer can also know what Jaime and his clan are saying. Not to get too off topic, but in the books, I'm sure Jaime is speaking in Gaelic with his clan, when Clair isn't around...oh wait, never mind. I just remembered that the first book was in first person. dammit.

Well this is a case where they could have used creative license, because I'm not Clair, and again as a viewer, I want to get the whole picture and know what's being said.

That's just me. And it sort of defeats the purpose if I have to find out somewhere else from the show runners what was being said.

• Love 1

By the way, how do spoilers work for a show that comes from a book? Is it a spoiler to talk about something from a part of the book that hasn't been shown on the show yet? I've never watched a show that was an adaptation before. There was something that bugged me that was left out of this episode that I'd like to discuss, but to talk about it I'd have to talk about how it will impact events that haven't happened yet. Can I discuss that here or is there another place for that?

@Petunia846 , I'm thinking we'll probably need to start a thread for that, since the other book 1 thread we have is to discuss the book.  Maybe like a Book v. Show thread with a spoiler flag on it?  @Athena , can you jump in and let us know?  Thanks.

In general, please don't talk about book points in the episode topics because some TV viewers haven't read the book and don't want to be spoiled.

I created the book one topic so you could compare the TV show and the first book. I can change the title to clarify that point. I am not sure how much of a demand there will be for both a book topic and a book vs. show topic right now. We aren't like "Game of Thrones" yet where we need several book and show topics. We'll see how it goes. I will eventually open book topics for the whole series to facilitate people reading the books. Maybe I will open a general book series vs. tv show down the line since I can see the show veering off a lot as well. We'll see how it goes. 

I've been out most of today so I won't get to watch until late tomorrow. I'm very glad most of you have enjoyed it so far! 

• Love 1

In general, please don't talk about book points in the episode topics because some TV viewers haven't read the book and don't want to be spoiled.

I created the book one topic so you could compare the TV show and the first book. I can change the title to clarify that point. I am not sure how much of a demand there will be for both a book topic and a book vs. show topic right now. We aren't like "Game of Thrones" yet where we need several book and show topics. We'll see how it goes. I will eventually open book topics for the whole series to facilitate people reading the books. Maybe I will open a general book series vs. tv show down the line since I can see the show veering off a lot as well. We'll see how it goes. 

I've been out most of today so I won't get to watch until late tomorrow. I'm very glad most of you have enjoyed it so far! 

Yes, if you could clarify the title? I thought that thread was just to talk about the books, which could be considered spoilers. If you could let @David T. Cole know to ignore my question about how to create such a thread? Thanks!

Edited by GHScorpiosRule

I adored the first episode!  I'm really interested in finding out what people who haven't read the books thought. 

I thought Jamie was so perfect.  He was exactly right. I'm already hopelessly in love with him.  Ditto for Claire.  She was so strong and brave to stand up to all of those men.  And Frank, so much better than BookFrank.  I thought everything flowed well.  I felt like we really got a good feel of Claire/Frank and how their relationship was and we got just a glimpse of what Jamie and Claire will be like together.  I'm really excited

• Love 2

The only bad thing was it ended way too soon. 2 weeks is a long time to see the next episode!!!

Amen sister.  Netflix has ruined me because all I want to do right now is binge-watch the entire series.  Oh well, I'm grateful to have been able to watch it today because I will be traveling on the 9th.  I nearly panicked however -- I tried to watch it on my iMac only to discover that my operating system is one generation too old.  Then I tried to watch it on my iPad and there was no sound.  Finally I recalled that I had already signed up for STARZ, just to see this show, so I was able to watch it there on demand. Twice.

I loved it.  Neither Claire nor Jamie matches the mental picture in my head -- especially since both of them are over 50 (as am I) in the latest book and I kind of love them being of my generation.  But can I just say hot DAMN Sam Heugan makes a fine looking Jamie.  And Caitriona Balfe is absolutely stunning in her 1945 clothes.  She's further from my mental Claire than Sam is from my mental Jamie but that's probably because I always thought Claire's tendency to curse was a poorly written part of the books and so it makes it hard for Caitriona to pull it off.  It reminds me of what Carrie Fisher said to George Lucas about some of his clunkier dialog in Star Wars.  She essentially said "just because you can write it doesn't mean we can say it."  As much as I love these books (and I do), it's clear to me that Diana's writing skills improved as the series went along.  The first book is riddled with some bad dialog including Claire's favorite curse "Jesus H. Roosevelt Christ" so I wish Caitriona the best of luck in continuing to pull off lines like that.  I also think Claire's bossiness when she goes into field-nurse mode was better done on the road than in the cabin. The cabin scene felt a bit stilted while the road scene felt entirely believable.  Or maybe I was just enjoying the hints of the warming relationship between Jamie and Claire that we see in that scene.  But cudos the the special effects guys for the cabin scene because I did wonder how they were going to depict a shoulder out of joint effectively.  They did a good job and the reaction shots of the other clansmen wincing really sold it.

Great fun.  I can't wait to see the rest.  I'm very grateful we will get 16 episodes but I'm disappointed to hear that they are going to have a hiatus in the middle of the run so some of the eps won't be seen until 2015.  Oh well, I'll bellyache about that when it happens.

-Slàinte!

Edited by WatchrTina

I really liked it.  I'm a big fan of the books and was worried I would be disappointed, but it looks like I needn't worry.  As a book fan, I did see several skipped or rearranged scenes or plot points, but the basic story came through very well.  I think actually seeing the characters interact instead of reading from only Claire's viewpoint was the most beneficial. 

I'm also one who didn't warm up to bookFrank, but Tobias Menzies gave him some soul and showed Frank's post-war adjustment struggles.  He also was excellent in portraying Jack Randall as a completely different character.  I think Catriona Balfe did a great job as Claire and gave her some humor and spark.  I know that the physical person I've pictured as Jamie does not exist, but I think Sam Heughan gave a good representation of the character so far.  He also brought some humor to his interactions with Claire.  I liked her giving Jamie a hand up after bandaging his shoulder, it subtly showed the beginnings of their camaradie, so points to the director for that too.

I liked the nuanced way that Claire's white dress started off as a proper 1940's style dress with a belt and round buttoned neckline when she goes through the stones.  By the time she meets up with Black Jack and the Highlanders, she's lost the belt and the neckline has come undone, leaving it hanging off her and looking like a shift would have from that era. 

Also, the merry band of Highlanders had some LOL moments with some of their reactions, especially the non verbal ones.  When Claire is asking for iodine and merthiolate, they just stand there and ***crickets*** but when she says "alcohol?" they all break into a nodding, buzzing group and hand her the flask.

The views of Scotland were spectacular.  I'm pretty confident I will enjoy how this tale gets told over the season.

• Love 1

I loved the sex scene between Frank and Claire in the old castle where Frank went down on Claire and didn't expect her to reciprocate. It was so damn erotic and I'm saying this as a lesbian.

The history is so interesting and since part of my lineage is Scottish I am loving learning more about my heritage via this show.

P.S. I haven't read the books because I didn't know they existed until I read about the show coming to Starz.

• Love 3

I loved the first episode. I'm still working my way through the book but I've read far enough that I can probably keep up with the first series of 8 episodes this summer.

I was intrigued by Claire's description of her marriage to Frank and how it played out at the beginning of the episode. I thought the actors played off each other very well and really portrayed the awkwardness yet longing Frank and Claire were going through.

Everyone seems so well cast, especially Jamie. I can't wait to see how the season plays out.

I suspect I will be watching this episode several more times before episode 2 comes out.

Edited by SanLynn
  • Love 1

I loved the sex scene between Frank and Claire in the old castle where Frank went down on Claire

On my second viewing I noticed that Frank leans in to kiss her and she pulls away, putting a hand on his shoulder and urging him downward instead.  That was a subtle and nicely done hint at the egalitarian nature of Frank and Claire's sexual relationship and also an indication that Claire is no shrinking violet in the bedroom.  

And speaking of the bedroom, I know some people have criticized the casting of Caitriona because she is so slim and Claire is written as having a "nice arse" but I have to say that scene where Caitriona's dress falls to the floor and we see her nude was just lovely.  She is breathtaking -- she looked like a statue in the Metropolitan Museum of Art.  I can't imagine any man seeing that scene and complaining that she is too thin.

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 4

I loved the sex scene between Jack and Claire in the old castle where Jack went down on Claire and didn't expect her to reciprocate. It was so damn erotic and I'm saying this as a lesbian.

@maraleia , I think you mean Frank and Claire, no? Because Jack, is that bastard from the 18th century!

• Love 1
I don't know. I really didn't feel the chemistry between Claire and Jamie

I have to agree with you as a non-book reader . I of course know by now the general idea of what Outlander is going to be about, but I wanted to see more of Claire and Frank. Because damn that chemistry between the actors, as someone said upthread, a slight awakwardness with deep longing. I have been told by book-readers that Frank is bit of a non-entity in the books but I found myself feeling so sorry for the man. He loves her so much and must be going out of his mind now that she has disappeared. TM is really good in the dual roles (poo, poor Frank) and CB is fantastic. Haven't seen much of SH to make a decision.

• Love 3

I completely understand non-book readers not feeling the chemistry between Claire and Jamie yet because Claire isn't feeling it at this point in the show either.  She is scared and longing only to get back to Frank.  Oh that scene when she kisses him goodbye just before going to pick the flower at Craigh na Dun -- it breaks my heart, knowing what Frank is about to be put through. That scene IS an improvement on the book because it just KILLED me.  

As for Jamie, he may be attracted to Claire at this point -- we book readers know he enjoyed sitting behind her "nice arse" on a horse for the better part of two days, and he hints at it a bit in the teasing he gives her when she bullies him while bandaging his shoulder -- but he's had a few other things on his mind in the few scenes he has played (like extreme pain, a life-threatening fight, and fainting from blood-loss.)  So yeah, if you are coming to the series cold but had seen the press about "finding love with an 18th-century highlander" or 'torn between two loves", then it would be perfectly understandable to not "feel" the Jamie/Claire thing yet.  I actually think it's great that non-book readers are feeling more sympathy with Frank at this point.  They are feeling what Claire is feeling.

That being said -- my god Sam makes a fine-looking Jamie.  Claire may not be feeling him yet -- but I certainly am.  I hope his acting equals his good looks.  So far it's been fine -- but he hasn't really been tested yet.

• Like 1
  • Love 7

The history is so interesting and since part of my lineage is Scottish I am loving learning more about my heritage via this show.

P.S. I haven't read the books because I didn't know they existed until I read about the show coming to Starz.

Careful about that. The author (and this episode) are good at world building but the history owes more to the victorian image of the Highlands than the actual history. Fun show though

• Love 2

Thanks @Featherhat for that information.

I know some people are going to balk at the lack of subtitles when they are speaking Gaelic but I'm glad they aren't there. I like seeing the 1740's through Claire's eyes and ears because her confusion adds to the fabric of the story.

• Love 2

So far so good.  I liked that this did a better job of showing us Frank than it felt like the book ever did.  It makes the torn between two men thing more believable than I ever really found it on the page.

Scotland was gorgeous.  Dougal didn't look anything like I had pictured but the actor had the imposing war chieftain thing down nonetheless.  I was momentarily distracted that Jamie isn't as physically big as the books assure us every three pages but got over it pretty quickly.  Catriona Balfe absolutely sells herself as Claire and that's what really matters at this point to make this whole thing work.

• Love 1

I loved it. As a book reader I was a bit afraid, but... the first episode was short from perfection. Perhaps it was too short ;)

Caitrona as Claire is a wonderfully sensous creature. She's beautiful and funny and brave. I think the casting team hit the jackpot with this choice, as much of the story hangs on Claire.

Frank - I do agree that he came off much better than in the book. It's good, because he'll be contrasted with Jonathan Randall and this way the contrast will be starker.

Jamie - not much of him in this episode, but from what I've seen, I like him already. There's a lot of charm in his way of speaking and the way he looks at Claire in the end, when she's bandaging him on the road? Whew!

Other things:

The Scots party was all kinds of fun especially when they had to look away during the whole arm-setting scene.

The flashbacks were nicely done, especially the one with a car crash.

Scotland is beautifull.

In general, I was pleased that Starz didn't amp the gore and sex but kept it all at a reasonable level. Now I cannot wait to see episode 2. And the rest of the season. Which will be cut in half. I'm heartbroken.

• Love 1

I skip over some things whenever I re-read OUTLANDER, but I always re-read the opening sections with Frank and Claire closely.  At this point in the series, I loved Book!Frank, and Tobias Menzies helped me remember why.  One of Outlander's strengths, to me, was how very much those two loved each other and how they probably would have had a happy life together if there had been no Craigh na Dun.  

I thought it was wise to add the scene with the ambush; it gave the first episode some sword play for the laddies in the audience and offered the opportunity for that scene between Jamie and Claire when he recaptured her.   Without that Jamie would have been kind of a lump until they got to the castle.  A wounded, fetching lump, but a lump.  

Edited by Thalia
  • Love 2

It is easier waiting two weeks for a new episode than waiting years for a new books. I think I'll make it. :)

I'm glad there isn't instant gooey chemistry between Claire and Jamie. When I first read the book I went in almost completely blind. Since I wasn't mentally nudging them together it helped me get into the story. Let it grow.

• Love 2

Mods Note: So far the book comparisons here have been fine, but @maraleia and I would like to request that you edit and save most of that talk for the book topics. We will be creating more book topics including a general whole series comparison one for the "book walkers". To help those of who haven't read any of the books, we're going to ask that book discussion or references be saved for those topics we are creating today and tomorrow. Mod announcement and more details to come soon. Thank you!

• Love 1

I know some people are going to balk at the lack of subtitles when they are speaking Gaelic but I'm glad they aren't there.

I agree. You know exactly what Murtaugh says when he brings Claire into the hut and you know exactly what Jamie is saying to Dougal when he warns him about the ambush.  Subtitles would just be a distraction.  I'm sure we'll get some in later seasons when they may become necessary, but for now I like being in Claire's shoes.

There was a funny moment when I re-watched the episode with the closed captions on.  There was a Gaelic word, used twice, that the captioner mistook for English and mistakenly captioned as a result.   When Murtaugh rescues Claire he puts out his hand to her and says something in Gaelic which clearly means "Let's go" or "Come on!".  Dougal says the same word as the horses depart from the hut.  The closed-captions say "Druid" which makes no sense in that context.  It confused the heck out of me for a moment.  I looked on-line to see what the Gaelic translation is for "Let's go" or "Come on" but I could not find it.

• Love 1

So glad for this forum, I had no idea the first episode was on demand.  I went straight there and watched it.  The beginning was a tad slow, but I sort of expected that.   I know, they have to set things up first, patience is a must.  I liked the sex scenes between Claire and her husband.   You can sense a distance between them, but at the same time an attraction is there.  Five years is a long time apart.  

Jamie isn't what I pictured, but the actor is attractive, I think he'll grow on me.  Claire is cast well, she has that willful defiance down pat. 

I enjoyed the scenery and music, especially once she was back in time.  It's going to be so hard waiting for the next episode!!  Ugh. 

Finally sat down and watched the episode and adored it as well! The whole episode was shot beautifully. I was excited when I found out that they shot it on location in Scotland because you can't replace that feeling easily. It's damn cold there so I was shivering with everyone for most of it.

Caitrona is nearly perfect. The casting in this show is great. I really liked the chemistry between Frank and Claire. There was some great sex scenes between them and it didn't feel gratuitous.

I like Jamie so far and Dougal too. In fact, there isn't much I disliked. It was slow so I'm not sure how much it will hook in casual viewers. Definitely for those viewers who love period pieces. Great music too. 

I liked the sex scenes between Claire and her husband.   You can sense a distance between them, but at the same time an attraction is there.

I find the first bedroom scene almost unwatchable -- when she jumps on the bed -- because it is so clear that she's trying too hard and I'm embarrassed for her.  Which or course, is perfect.  She IS trying too hard, they are not completely comfortable with one another.  And then, later on, it's clearly getting better between them but there are still problems to be sorted -- the conversation in front of the fire when Frank hints that he assumes she sought "comfort" elsewhere is particularly good.  As is the sex scene that follows.  Then, in that final scene before she goes to Craigh na Dun, they seem particularly relaxed and comfortable with one another -- which makes that kiss goodbye particularly heartbreaking given what happens next.  Yeah, I think they handled the progression of Frank and Claire back to one another really well. 

• Love 5

On second watch (or third or fourth, I just keep watching it, lol) I'm more and more impressed with Tobias Menzies. Caitriona is wonderful and very well cast but watching Tobias play both Frank and Jack in the same episode really shows off the actor's range so well. This is the first thing I've seen him in and I think he's fantastic.

Edited by SanLynn
  • Love 6

Okay it's a little difficult to sort out my impressions and feelings and comment without referring to the book but I'll try. I think they did a great job casting. Jamie and Frank, both perfect. With Caitriona, I had moments where I was like, YES, that's Claire!! - but other moments less so. I think she will be great overall though. I actually felt that the 1940s time dragged on just a touch too long but that could be my book bias and eagerness to get down to business. I was/am curious whether non-book readers would feel "hooked" by this first episode. I want it to do well and am already anxious to know that we will get a second season!

Edited by TOWTooMuchTV
  • Love 1

Well, considering that it's been over 10 years since I read the books, and stopped a third of the way through the third book, I will consider myself a non-book reader, because I didn't get hooked by the books, or fall in love with Claire and Jaime's love story, though, at the time, I could see why so many of my friends did. It's akin to my love for Eve and Roarke in JD Robb's In Death series.

That said, I loved the first episode, considering I don't remember any of the time before Claire got sucked back in time, and even her first encounter with Jaime, and his clansmen, I don't recall.

• Love 1

I really enjoyed this episode. The books were recommended to me and I only made it to page 500 or so and stopped. It just dragged on for me but when I learned there was a show I got super excited it would take the best book parts.

I'm very impressed by the casting. I could immediately feel the chemistry between Jamie and claire. I have a major girl crush on the actress who plays claire. She reminds me of someone. I was surprised to learn she was a Victoria's secret model.

I wish they were put subtitles when the actors speak with the thick Scottish accent. I understand 1 out of every 10 words. :/

Well I've never read the books, or even heard of them before. But I really enjoyed this first episode. I knew Frank's obsession with history would come back to serve Claire well. I didn't see any great chemistry between Claire and Jamie but I would be upset if she was even thinking that way yet. I think I'm good with not reading the books. I'm looking forward to seeing how this all plays out.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

And speaking of the bedroom, I know some people have criticized the casting of Caitriona because she is so slim and Claire is written as having a "nice arse" but I have to say that scene where Caitriona's dress falls to the floor and we see her nude was just lovely.  She is breathtaking -- she looked like a statue in the Metropolitan Museum of Art.  I can't imagine any man seeing that scene and complaining that she is too thin.

IIRC Sam Heughan was cast first?

They probably knew that he was not physically as massive as BookJamie so thought that a tad smaller Claire would equal out in their scenes together. I know I had reservations about him being too small when I first googled his photos but upon viewing him in action I feel like he will do quite nicely. Understatement!

I am thrilled that this was filmed in Scotland- it adds so much. Being a native of Appalachia I remember being simply unable to get into the Hatfield/McCoy miniseries because the hills and flora were so utterly wrong. One would think that incorrect species of weeds would not make all that much difference in a viewer's experience but one would be wrong  :) The correct location simply enhances everything- what would be merely serviceable becomes the star of the show, and I do feel as if Scotland will be the breakout star on this one. I hope tourism is ready.

I thought the dancing Druids were beautiful- breathtakingly so. I don't know if it was historically correct or not but they sure captured the spirit of the moment.

I desperately want to binge watch the entire season at one go NOW. I have considered waiting until that is a possibility but having watched this episode I know full well that you could not keep me away from the television for each airing as

I am quite happy with the casting and how well it all was done.

Bravo Starz!!

• Love 3
I am thrilled that this was filmed in Scotland- it adds so much. Being a native of Appalachia I remember being simply unable to get into the Hatfield/McCoy miniseries because the hills and flora were so utterly wrong. One would think that incorrect species of weeds would not make all that much difference in a viewer's experience but one would be wrong  :) The correct location simply enhances everything- what would be merely serviceable becomes the star of the show, and I do feel as if Scotland will be the breakout star on this one. I hope tourism is ready.

I'm that way about stuff set in DC that gets the Metro wrong. I just can't watch it. It's horrible. I've never been to Scotland, but you can just tell it's completely unique, and the settings have been vital parts of the scenes so far. I thought it was cool how they went to Castle Leoch in the 1940s before Claire went through the stones. That was a nice touch. It's amazing what they can do with the CGI, because the 1940s shots is how it really looks now, right? And when they came up to it at the end of the episode, they'd "rebuilt" it with the CGI so it wasn't all crumbling.

• Love 1

I think the 1945 external scenes are the ones with the CGI trickery (or they were shot at a different location) because I heard that Castle Leoch is filmed at the same castle where Monty Python was filmed and it's a tourist attraction in fairly good shape -- not the ruin we see in the 1945 scene.

Edited by WatchrTina

I love the opening credits song but don't like it for an opening credit song. I would have liked something stronger or more majestic.

I thought it was brilliant that they adapted Skye Boat Song for the opening credits. Whenever I hear that song I think of Outlander.

I guess I'll be a party pooper, but I wasn't crazy about the episode. It was nicely done and I probably would have liked it more if I'd never read the book. Didn't like the changes, particularly the one involving Castle Leoch.

And the journey through the stones was pathetic IMO.

• Love 1