Type keyword(s) to search

Design Shows

Taylorh2
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, selhars said:

I liked Colour Confidential/Get Color. BUT I hated that damned color wheel. I know, I know, the "wheel" was a THE main part of the door selection process. I believe the couple knew or had pre-approved what the design was before hand, maybe they just didn't know which specific items would be picked to represent the color choices). But, as presented on the show, it's made to seem that the host picks the color options for the couple. That wouldn't fly for me. Suppose there's no yellow or red, or tan on the wheel and that's what I like.

Like I said, the show was OK. And while some of the color combinations I disagreed with, for the most partI guess the results were decent. And certainly better than the "before."

Yes, the results were always an improvement even if rarely to my taste. There was a lot of faux Tuscan going on back then, and not just on that show, lol.

However, I recall the color wheel did cover the spectrum even if not every possible shade was on there. I remember plenty of pretty blues, yellows, greens, even light brown/tans, that would catch my eye, and then the couple would usually pick reds and golds and chocolate shades, which I didn't like at all (see above, faux Tuscan coming right up). I agree, that all had to be predetermined and they were acting it for the show.

1 hour ago, selhars said:

Episodes are on YouTube. I LOVE their reactions. The way they recoils, and say "oooh" and scrunch their noses when something sticks. It's hysterically great!

Good old Kim and Aggie! I liked the bit of shtick where Aggie donned a white coat, swabbed surfaces in the dirty houses, and later reported on the lab analyses of the micro-nasties they found.

A little OT from "design," but: what I actually respected, was that when Kim and Aggie found a fridge or freezer that was really rank, they didn't play with it for the camera. They sealed it up and hauled it off, treating it as the biohazard it was. I thought of that yesterday when watching some bits of old episodes of Hoarding: Buried Alive on TLC. In one episode the hoarder's fridge was full of nasty nasty old rotten food *and* the hoarder had already acquired a new fridge. In the opening scenes a friend/relative was scolding the hoarder, saying yeah, and how do we know the new fridge won't end up like this? So later in the episode they show these young guys who work for some pest control or clearance company, emptying that toxic fridge with *bare hands*(!!!!) and literally vomiting because the smell is so bad. In the final shots of the cleaned up house? There is a new fridge in the kitchen. (The old one had the freezer on top; the new one was a side by side, so yes I'm sure the fridge was replaced.) I was stunned that TLC would have those guys rummaging around in that toxic fridge with bare hands, no masks, no hazmat suits, and all for the camera because the fridge wasn't even kept.

BTW, also not really a design show, but Kim did a show a few years ago in Canada, "Kim's Rude Awakenings," which is now available on Amazon Prime video. Focuses on cleaning up super messy houses *and* the dynamics of the families who got them that way. 

Someone up thread mention repeats of older design/remodel shows. I'd be over the moon if we could get all shows old shows back on (the repeats I mean) I go back to HGTV when it was first launched. Shows we'll never see the likes of again: Hints by Heloise, Room by Room, Decorating Cents, Gardiner's Journal and some before those. Chriss Casson Madden, Cindy Picoli, Kitty Bartholemew, Michael Payne, the list could go on. Heck get the rights to Christopher Lowell and Lynette Jennings shows. And there are the HGTV Canada shows. Some that have never been shown in the states.

If Food Network can have a sister Cooking Channel, for the life of me I don't get why HGTV won't launch a classic home channel -- OR at least devote the overnight/weekends or four hour overnight weekend block to "HGTV Classics."  I know there are likely ownership/copyright and other "rights" details to work out, but for the life of me I don't get why it's not worked out somehow. Ion Life could have done it, sure. But HGTV is the dead on, real network to do it, since it was the original carrier of the shows. TLC could have done it too. But that channel is just a shadow of itself. Talk about a channel that's 180 degrees from what was....

• Love 2

I loved Kitty Bartholomew!  I think her daughter may be a designer, also.  

Maybe the reason HGTV does not run those old(er) design and decorating shows is that possibly they would be more popular than the marathon-ing of the same shows that takes up what seems to be most of their programming.  I even saw a marathon of Windy City Flip; and that hasn't been on long enough to even warrant a marathon.  Has it?

I guess we are wrong...because ION Life was doing a few of those old shows and now they aren't.  Maybe they weren't popular.  It is just that the regular ION channel does the detective show reruns; now the Life spin-off is doing them, too.  I am old...I just can't get with the new real estate-all-the-time programming blocks.  I truly think it may be a generational thing.  A lot of us are beyond the age where we are buying real estate and spending $$$ on renovations.  Windy City Flip woman still makes my gums hurt.

I loved the home design remodel shows on IONLife. The only problems were:

-- As a loooong time, over decades viewer of home design shows. I've seen all of the shows that the channels see, to rerun all the time. I've seen every Devine Design, and For Rent. AND that Canadian Weekend Reno show only had ONE season...so 13 shows. And IONLife was airing EIGHT shows in mini-marathon blocks, so after MONTHS of that, I'd seen all of those shows at least four or five times.

If you only have 13 shows. And run show episodes 1-8 on the first Sunday, then the second Sunday, the very next weekend, you're airing episodes 9-13, AND 1-3, Well I just saw episodes 103 last week. So on the third weekend you're airing episodes 4-8, an 9-11. Well I just saw episodes 9-11 the second weekend.  In essence the channel was running the same shows every weekend. ANYone would get sick of that eventually.

Meanwhile, there are some shows that have NEVER been rerun. I loved Designers Challenge: 3 designers, each present their pitch, and the owners pick one. Other shows: Before and After, Design Home?: it followed one owner/couple for the season as they (contractors) completely remodeled the house from top to bottom. Decorating Cents, Room-by-Room, Designing for the Sexes. Weekend Warriors: where homeowners did the work. Heck even Designed to Sell, and I hated the workmanship on that show. But I'll be darn if I didn't get some great ideas. Same with Design on a Dime, Double Take, and Sensible Chic.

• Love 2

Best House on the Block is available now on the DIY channel.   I follow Lauren Liess, the designer and I think their show is pretty good.  I think they were originally filming for HGTV and then for some reason they released the show on DIY---and she said on her blog that they are still going to get a time slot on HGTV this year

She posted some info about casting on her blog--it's kind of interesting how it works and what homeowners agree to.

https://www.laurenliess.com/pure-style-home/hgtvs-best-house-on-the-block-casting-call

• Love 1

Does anyone remember that show on HGTV, from Canada, This Small Space? It's included on Amazon Prime video right now. I watched several episodes last night. Reminds me that while I wish I had my 1990's figure back, I am really over those 1990's clothes styles.

However, the people on the show are pleasant and it was interesting to see the design trends from nearly 20 years ago. 

Yes I remember it. And I liked it. It's another example of a show that HGTV could re-run in a block of "classic shows." I'd rather see that than the one-millionth airing of a House Hunters episode or a copy cat renovation show.

• Love 1

Did anyone catch the new show on HGTV last night (at least new to me?) called, I believe, One of a Kind?  The couple featured had a sprawling 1960's ranch and were only the second owner.  The designer is a "kooky" artist type.  The couple shared that they had written love letters to each other when they first started dating and she was all excited to get her hands on them to incorporate them into the design.  She ended up making wallpaper of their writings.  Good God.  I think the husband was going to pass out when he first saw it.  I was so happy when he said something to the effect of how he was scanning the walls to make sure she hadn't chosen anything embarrassing.  I would have done the same.  It still was embarrassing.  

The kitchen of the home was very Brady Bunch but something about it was still so lovely!  Of course, it was torn out to make way for "open concept"...weeping...in a 1960's ranch 😞  She even took down a brick column and repurposed it into the stove hood which was completely out of place against the modern black tile she chose.  But again, a ridiculous choice of a large sign over the stove that read, "I love you schweetie".  It looked like a diner!  

Not a fan.  Kind of reminded me for some reason of a Trading Spaces kind of design?  Very homemade?  Would love to hear if anyone else saw it. 

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Kiki620 said:

Did anyone catch the new show on HGTV last night (at least new to me?) called, I believe, One of a Kind?

Yes, and I agree with your distaste. The intro shows one house with spoons glued to the walls and other such nonsense.

The wife in this ep seemed to like the wallpaper text art, but it would be super annoying for me to look at every day. I'll definitely watch to see how she craftily incorporates each homeowner's "personal story" into the designs.

The other one new to me is Restored by the Fords, who are a brother/sister duo. The two of them were nice and I appreciated the lack of theatrics between them, but lordy did I hate the final designs! Both episodes were older homes and she turned them into modern white on white on white, even painting the stairs and banisters. Except for upgrading the kitchens, I thought both looked worse afterwards, with all the charm gone.

Her bangs are also annoying.   🙂

• Love 4
14 hours ago, 2727 said:

Yes, and I agree with your distaste.

Apparently, you and I are the only ones!  On an instragram post about the show, all the comments are absolutely gushing.  The only slight criticims were that her design was too much like Joanna Gaines.  Which I don't agree with.

14 hours ago, 2727 said:

The other one new to me is Restored by the Fords, who are a brother/sister duo. The two of them were nice and I appreciated the lack of theatrics between them, but lordy did I hate the final designs!

Agreed!

• Love 1

New show info from Reality Blurred:

there are two new shows: Big Texas Fix (DIY, Saturdays at 9), which follows Michael and Ashley Cordray restore houses in Galveston, and Mom & Me(HGTV, Saturdays at 11), which follows Karrie and Tristan Trowbridge renovating homes in the Pacific Northwest.

• Love 2
(edited)

I found this piece online today: Open Concept Homes are for Peasants

What?? You mean all those mothers for all those centuries, spent time in the kitchen without having their kids playing within their line of sight? People entertained and served dinner without guests sitting down to eat with a nice view of the kitchen where the food was prepared?

How on Earth did humanity survive?!!!???!

/snark

Edited by Jeeves
grammar
  • Love 2

From Reality Blurred--new shows

My House Is Your House (HGTV, June 1, Saturdays at 11). “a Nashville-based mother-daughter duo, Victoria and Teryn, and a San Diego-based husband-wife team, Ryan and Claire, who help clients transform unused areas of their homes or lackluster rental spaces into stunning vacation properties“

I think this show has been on before but I don't know this host

Hidden Potential (HGTV, June 3, Mondays at 9). Jasmine Roth “returns to revive bland SoCal homes with pops of personality, imaginative layouts and smart storage solutions”

Unspouse My House (HGTV, June 6, Thursdays at 9:30). Orlando Soria “works with newly single homeowners to overhaul their homes and heal their lonely hearts with laughter, support and beautiful design”

(edited)

@car54, thanks for the heads up about the new shows.  The one you posted about in April, Big Texas Fix, has just finished showing Season 1. I really liked the show. Now it seems they are going to show Season 1 as “new” on HGTV. It’s worth watching, IMO.

Edited by Jeeves
Clarification
  • Love 1

I agree @Jeeves

I really like that show.    I don't really understand how they make their decisions on which channel to carry a show ---but I like Big Texas Fix--I noticed they were promoting it on HGTV this week.    That looks hopeful that they'll keep carrying it.    

I hope they do more of Philly Revival too.   I really enjoyed that one too.

• Love 1

I started re-watching Stone House Revival again. I really loved that show. Restoring houses to what they were historically is really interesting to me and you could tell the host was really into it. I also liked Restored.

• Love 2
(edited)

Y'all----on the HGTV site there is an option called HGTV Sneak Peak where they seem to post pilots--and there is one that's got a pretty unique concept----it's called House Full of Spouses and the designer is from a polygamous family (they show a picture of her big family with black tape over their eyes....:) ) and her husband is the contractor and seems to be the one who shows potential houses.

The clients are polygamous families--the one in this show is a husband and his 3 sister wives--two of whom are actually SISTERS--twins to boot and a lot of kids.    The premise seems to be like Love it or List it where they show other homes they could buy or they show ways they could re-do their existing house.

I think they said they have 10 kids still at home and 15 who have left home--and when they all come home to visit they have over 100 people at one time.

This was a really um...interesting show.   

Edited by car54
  • Love 1
On 6/1/2019 at 8:59 AM, car54 said:

Unspouse My House (HGTV, June 6, Thursdays at 9:30). Orlando Soria “works with newly single homeowners to overhaul their homes and heal their lonely hearts with laughter, support and beautiful design”

I watched Episode 2 - Dolphin-ately Bad Taste - last night. I really enjoyed it. I've missed the other episodes but will try to get the DVR to catch them. The homeowner in this case - a guy - seemed easy-going and interacted well with Orlando. Lord, that man's ex had horrific taste, as in "the early 90's called and they want their sh*t back." Not to mention, she's pursuing a modeling career. And she'd put mirrors *everywhere!* in that house, lol. 

I also like that Orlando was respectful and appreciative of his contractor in several scenes. Oh, and the intro - cracked me up!

• Love 1

I watched a new to me show called Mountain Mamas last week--it is 2 women--they pretty much follow the Fixer Upper format---they are realtors and then they reno these Montana homes.    Their houses are well done, and it is nice to see that they pitch in and do some of the construction themselves.

I watched another show called Stay or Sell--which is pretty much Love it or List it but the client decides before the reno--so they look at other homes and decide to either re-do their home or buy another and renovate.     I've only seen one and their ideas seem good--but the one I watched--the husband, who does the reno seems not to have looked at the house for problems before coming up with a budget so they had constant budget problems.   This one takes place in Minneapolis--and the mid-century home they did was gorgeous before they started.   It turned out really nicely.

• Love 1

Thanks for the recommendation for Mountain Mamas, @car54. They lean hard on "Montana rustic" but it makes sense for them and is different from what most other shows do. They're pleasant women and easy to spend time with.

I just discovered Restored today and have been binging through the previous seasons. It's fun to watch Brett put walnut paneling back in 70s houses, divide up rooms, add swinging kitchen doors, etc. In a couple of episodes, you could see it pained him to even replace old 30s-50s era tile countertops when the homeowners insisted. It's nice to see higher end remodeling and I appreciate that these are well researched, thorough jobs.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, 2727 said:

I just discovered Restored today and have been binging through the previous seasons. It's fun to watch Brett put walnut paneling back in 70s houses, divide up rooms, add swinging kitchen doors, etc. In a couple of episodes, you could see it pained him to even replace old 30s-50s era tile countertops when the homeowners insisted. It's nice to see higher end remodeling and I appreciate that these are well researched, thorough jobs.

I also like Restored. BTW, it has its own topic here: 

It's kind of random, IMO, which of the design/flipping/renovation shows have their own topic. Boise Boys does. So does Hidden Potential. 

I tend to get fuzzy about which kind of show is involved: house flipping, vs. design, vs. whatever other categories there are. It did dawn on me that oh yeah, Restored isn't "house flipping." Sometimes I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, and usually I'm thinking more about the content of what I want to say than which category of DIY/HGTV show I'm talking about. 😊

• Love 1

I have two Netflix (UK imports) shows that I love and have frustrated me.  The first is the Great Interior Design Challenge that apparently won't be coming back in the UK but there are only two seasons of the show available in the US.  I want them all. It's amazing what they can do on small budgets and puts what they do on Trading Spaces to shame.

I also discovered Grand Designs where homeowners build incredibly unique houses.  It's terrific comfort viewing but Netflix only has two seasons that aren't even back-to-back.

• Love 2
On 9/1/2019 at 5:02 AM, Irlandesa said:

I have two Netflix (UK imports) shows that I love and have frustrated me.  The first is the Great Interior Design Challenge that apparently won't be coming back in the UK but there are only two seasons of the show available in the US.  I want them all. It's amazing what they can do on small budgets and puts what they do on Trading Spaces to shame.

I also discovered Grand Designs where homeowners build incredibly unique houses.  It's terrific comfort viewing but Netflix only has two seasons that aren't even back-to-back.

I really enjoyed the Great Interior Design Challenge and I'm sad that it's apparently discontinued in the UK. The designs (while sometimes of a weird taste) were very approachable and realistic. I also was interested in the parts about architectural and design history in the UK. Altogether very enjoyable show. There is currently in the UK a show called "Interior Design Masters" which can be somewhat of a fix for the design part (it's a competitive show for amateur interior designers who must design commercial spaces for clients : show homes, hotel rooms, shops...). Not as good but I like how genuine the design feels. Not sure where you can catch it though.

Grand Designs is great, and also has declinations in Australia (Grand Design Australia, several seasons) and I believe NZ.

Regarding UK design shows, I also enjoy a lot the shows with architect George Clarke, if you can get your hands on them, for instance George Clarke's Amazing Spaces (all kind of small spaces transformation, garden sheds, motor homes, spaceships 🙂 ), Ugly House to Lovely Home, or Old House New Home. There is also a bit of architecture/design history in those shows and altogether I really enjoy the pace of the UK shows, very relaxed.

Edited by Sarnia
  • Love 2

Saw a promo for this --new design competition show coming in October.

https://www.hgtv.com/shows/rock-the-block

Mina from Good Bones,   Alison Victoria from Windy City Rehab,  Jasmine from Hidden Potential, and Lee Ann Ford from Restored by the Fords re-do identical places.

I know that Mina and Jasmine can do actual construction and I think probably Alison can from past experience (she doesn't do much on WCR) but I've never seen Lee Ann do anythng but paint things--mostly white.   I hope they have hired helpers.

On 8/31/2019 at 10:02 PM, Irlandesa said:

Thank you for recommending Great Interior Design Challenge. I am loving it! I had planned to clean floors today but got sucked into watching two more episodes instead.

• Love 2
On 12/2/2018 at 6:17 PM, 2727 said:

I may have to rewatch some old Sarah's House episodes now. It's so calming and pleasant to spend time with her.

If anyone else is interested in a Sarah Richardson fix, she's uploaded a YouTube webseries titled "Sarah's Island 2.0". It's actually a follow-up to the summer island vacation home she renovated years back while she was pregnant. Each episode is only about five minutes long, but it's interesting to see how well her design has held up now that the family has actually gotten to live in it for a while.

I'm also halfway through Interior Design Masters courtesy of Netflix. The contestants all want to be interior designers - but none of them actually seem able/willing to compromise on their vision and actually create a design that would meet the requirements of any potential clients. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Garden Wafers said:

If anyone else is interested in a Sarah Richardson fix, she's uploaded a YouTube webseries titled "Sarah's Island 2.0". It's actually a follow-up to the summer island vacation home she renovated years back while she was pregnant. Each episode is only about five minutes long, but it's interesting to see how well her design has held up now that the family has actually gotten to live in it for a while.

I'm also halfway through Interior Design Masters courtesy of Netflix. The contestants all want to be interior designers - but none of them actually seem able/willing to compromise on their vision and actually create a design that would meet the requirements of any potential clients. 

I am trying to slog through Interior Design Masters and it’s, well, a slog. I’ll keep with it all the way through but I’m definitely not as interested as I was with the Great Interior Design Challenge. I still hold out hope we’ll get more recent seasons of that show.

• Love 2

I finished Interior Design Masters and I kind of hate myself that I did. I'm mad that this got a season when Interior Design Challenge did not.  I loved everything about that show. I loved how designers were in charge of their own designs other than having to work with homeowners.  I liked how the show highlighted different parts of the country and different architecture styles.  And I was almost always impressed with how the designs turned out on such smallish budgets.

In comparison, on IDM, even though I think the budget was a little higher, I felt almost all the designs came off looking cheap.  I hated that they had so many "team" challenges, especially the store challenge.

Spoiler

Each store had two designers vying to redesign it.  The owner of the store chose between them and then the one whose designs weren't chosen had to follow the "winner's" plan regardless of how they felt about it since the owner chose it.  And yet, even though the losing designer had very little say in the overall plan for the most part, they got sent home too.  At least with other challenges there was at least something they could individually judge them on-like a bedroom-but not with this one. 

So frustrating.

On 10/23/2019 at 4:08 PM, Garden Wafers said:

Oh just you wait until you get further along and the designers do start making choices based on the express wishes of the client.  Then they get criticized for not "pushing" their clients out of their comfort zones and how it's the designer's job to "manage" them.  It's ridiculous. Again, I refer to the store challenge--

Spoiler

Frank originally proposed to edit how much product was out on the floor and the owner outright nixed that idea. The judges were critical of that because of the aesthetic "eww, why do all these various sizes need to be out? It's just a lump of gray."  They were told they should have worked the owner but really, none of them have experience in selling product. If I go into a store and my size isn't immediately available for a tee shirt or sweatshirt, I'm usually going to assume they don't have them and go on my merry way.

Other than the delightful, and most clever design, yarn store, I really hated that store challenge.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I finished Interior Design Masters and I kind of hate myself that I did. I'm mad that this got a season when Interior Design Challenge did not.  I loved everything about that show. I loved how designers were in charge of their own designs other than having to work with homeowners.  I liked how the show highlighted different parts of the country and different architecture styles.  And I was almost always impressed with how the designs turned out on such smallish budgets.

In comparison, even though I think the budget was a little higher, I felt almost all the designs came off looking cheap.  I hated that they had so many "team" challenges, especially the store challenge.

Hide contents

Each store had two designers vying to redesign it.  The owner of the store chose between them and then the one whose designs weren't chosen had to follow the "winner's" plan regardless of how they felt about it since the owner chose it.  And yet, even though the losing designer had very little say in the overall plan for the most part, they got sent home too.  At least with other challenges there was at least something they could individually judge them on-like a bedroom-but not with this one. 

So frustrating.

Oh just you wait until you get further along and the designers do start making choices based on the express wishes of the client.  Then they get criticized for not "pushing" their clients out of their comfort zones and how it's the designer's job to "manage" them.  It's ridiculous. Again, I refer to the store challenge--

Reveal spoiler

Frank originally proposed to edit how much product was out on the floor and the owner outright nixed that idea. The judges were critical of that because of the aesthetic "eww, why do all these various sizes need to be out? It's just a lump of gray."  They were told they should have worked the owner but really, none of them having experience in selling product. If I go into a store and my size isn't immediately available for a tee shirt or sweatshirt, I'm usually going to assume they don't have them and go on my merry way.

Other than the delightful, and most clever design, yarn store, I really hated that store challenge.

I’m so glad you posted this. Now I know not to waste any more time on this show and to move on to something else...or get caught up with what is on my DVR!

• Love 1
On 10/23/2019 at 5:08 PM, Garden Wafers said:

If anyone else is interested in a Sarah Richardson fix, she's uploaded a YouTube webseries titled "Sarah's Island 2.0". It's actually a follow-up to the summer island vacation home she renovated years back while she was pregnant.

Thanks for the tip! I watched the series yesterday and it was lovely to see the island and house again. And of course Tommy.

I was surprised how much I remembered of the original rooms from ten years/umpty design shows ago. 

• Love 2

I'll add my thanks for the info on Sarah Richardson's YouTube series.  I fell down that hole for awhile last night and enjoyed the first seven episodes immensely.  When I get time this weekend, I'll finish it for sure.

I traveled to Georigan Bay for a friend's wedding in Collingwood a decade ago.  Beautiful area, even from the shore, so I can only imagine what it must be like to live an on island so far offshore.

• Love 1

For those who enjoyed the Great Interior Design Challenge, you might enjoy (if you can find it) the current show from Channel 4 "Your Room or Mine". Each week four pairs of amateur interior designers (very amateur) are tasked to redesign a room in each other home. There are 5 20-minute episodes per week. Each day a room from one pair is picked for redesign, the three others have a mock-up room in the studio which they must redesign in a day. The home owner then pick a redesign and implement it in their home, the others (and viewers) find the winner only when they visit the home. Then on the last day they all design a room for an outsider.

It's not breathtaking interior design but it's light and fun (and they compete for the grand prize of £250 per day, so the pressure is not huge). There have been 4 weeks so far (just watched the first), not sure how long it will last.

• Love 2

FYI -- For those who love designer Sarah Richardson and any of her shows.....her show "Room Service" is being shown on DABL. DABL is a CBS* digital channel you can get on some antennas (antennae). I get it in the Philadelphia area. 

2 episodes air back to back from 1 to 2p ET.

Oh how I wish there were more excellent designs shows like hers. I don't have cable. But even if I did, HGTV is all  mostly House Hunters, Tiny Houses, and couples who flip. The days of Chris Casson Madden, Kitty Bartholomew, Michael Payne, Room by Room, Sensible Chic, and Decorating Cents, Stagers, Design on a Dime, Before and After, Dream House, Designer's Challenge are loooong gone.

Even the home repair shows are gone: Help Around the House, Fix it Up, Handy Ma'am, etc. Current younger viewers don't even know those shows existed.☹️

Edited by selhars
Corrected network affiliation from ABC to CBS
  • Love 3

@selhars, thanks for the heads up about the DABL channel. Actually, it's a CBS digital channel. I did find that we get it over the air here. I appreciate that.

I agree with you about the old days of HGTV vs. now. I rarely watch HGTV anymore. I'm happy that my cable package includes the DIY network. But there really aren't design shows there either. They are design + remodeling/renovation shows. Nobody just comes in and does over the look of a space without doing construction too. But at least DIY features different people from all over the country (not just California) doing over houses that I can relate to, which is at least watchable. 

• Love 1

My bad. I will correct. DABL is CBS....Live Well Network is ABC.

DABL also has "Sell This House" (with Tanya Meme and Roger Hazard)

And FYI (which you likely already know) -- LWN has a couple of design shows:

"Knock It Off" -- based in and around the Philadelphia. area....."At Home with Lisa Quinn" -- based in the San Francisco area -- and "Find and Design"......are three right off the top of my head.

And some channel, I can't recall which, has "Flipping Boston" (repeats of course).

Edited by selhars
  • Love 2

Well, darn. The Live Well channel isn't on the air here. I looked at their website and I like the look of some of the shows. There seem to be episodes available to watch online. I may try that one of these days.

Now HGTV is bringing back Extreme Home Makeover?     After the first series turned out to be a disaster for virtually all of the families?     The list of people who had homes redone, and turned out to be very different than the way they were presented on the show was horrible.  There is a  list of foreclosed on homes a mile long.  people who took mortgage free homes, and refinanced them, and lost that money.     Then there was the one who turned out to be a scammer, lying about the children's medical conditions.      I can't believe someone thought this was a good idea to bring back.   

This article talks about some of the issues with homes on the show:

https://screenrant.com/extreme-makeover-home-edition-shocking-trivia-facts/

Plus, one of the homes was a lease purchase, and the real owner was not happy with getting his home turned into a McMansion, and it caused big issues with the sales contract.     One home had been totally paid off, and college funds for the sons, then daddy decided he should be a contractor, and took out a mortgage on the property, and I think refinanced later, and ended up losing every penny.     A bunch of others had paid off homes, mortgaged them, and lost it all too.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama

Anyone seen DABL? 

Old shows like Sell this house,  Sarah Richardson,  and British design,  Escape to the Country. 

Great memories and views. Picture is not very HD though. 

2 hours ago, Tosia said:

Anyone seen DABL? 

Old shows like Sell this house,  Sarah Richardson,  and British design,  Escape to the Country. 

Great memories and views. Picture is not very HD though. 

Yes, I've been watching it lately. Seems like there's a lot of Sarah Richardson, but that's not so bad. Has she done any shows lately? 

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

Yes, I've been watching it lately. Seems like there's a lot of Sarah Richardson, but that's not so bad. Has she done any shows lately? 

Not that I've seem. But Tommy, Sarah's assistant shows up in Elle Decor in s semi regular feature. He was really funny.  

Sarah is a true classic designer. The pale colors do  get a little boring after a while though.  I would like her to stick in something unusual as a surprise, albeit a tasteful surprise.

Emily Henderson has a great website showing alot of her ideas and others as well.  Although during this quarantine there's more focus on living calmly. Check her archives though.  

Emily like s blue as do I , and less clutter, so maybe that's why I like her design.

I LOVE Escape to the Country for the landscape and the awesome old stone homes and pretty green gardens and horses and cows and sheep, etc... I love England. I can feel the windy breezes when the folks are outside. 

• Love 1
(edited)

They've been showing an hour of Sell This House, with Tanya on Saturday mornings, I think on A&E.

Anybody catch Renovation Island, where the Bryan Baeumler, and family (spelling?)are redoing a Caribbean resort?   It has it's own thread under Other Lifestyle Reality Shows.  

Spoiler

I looked at the website for the resort, and the main hotel rooms rent for almost $500 a night, and the villas are just under $1500 a night.   I'm hoping it includes meals at least. They've closed until October 2020 because of Covid, but the place looks spectacular.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
On 6/9/2020 at 9:52 AM, CrazyInAlabama said:

They've been showing an hour of Sell This House, with Tanya on Saturday mornings, I think on A&E.

The new episodes are on the FYI network. Which seems to be part of the A&E empire. I don't know how I stumbled on them, but I'm glad I did. Tanya hosts it but no more Roger. I haven't paid enough attention to see if they have the same person as designer in each episode. So far the new episodes have been located in the Austin TX area.

If you get Dabl (we get it OTA and on Comcast), you can watch a couple of the old episodes each day. 

Also watching Sell This House. I've seen 4 episodes, the designer seem to be a different one each time. The last house was a disaster (before redesign) and I don't understand why people selling a house just leave so much junk in the backyard, black mosquito nets and an aquarium with a live snake in the master bedroom! Even if the sellers had just spent a day removing all the furniture the house would have been a lot less creepy. The new design was a spectacular change (and that was mostly paint work!).

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Sarnia said:

Also watching Sell This House. I've seen 4 episodes, the designer seem to be a different one each time. The last house was a disaster (before redesign) and I don't understand why people selling a house just leave so much junk in the backyard, black mosquito nets and an aquarium with a live snake in the master bedroom! Even if the sellers had just spent a day removing all the furniture the house would have been a lot less creepy. The new design was a spectacular change (and that was mostly paint work!).

Yes, that house was creepy to the max! Just bizarre. TBH it wouldn't be surprising to see it cordoned off by crime scene tape, it was that disturbing. 

IIRC the owners said something like well their daughter was living there, which I understood to be why it looked like that. What I didn't understand - and I'm with you here - is why they left it like that when they listed it for sale. Yikes!