Type keyword(s) to search

S33.E06: Say Cheese

• Start Topic

12 minutes ago, Netfoot said:

No expert, but I can't help thinking that the human machine is not 100% efficient. So for each step, there may be some expenditure of energy which does not directly go towards moving X mass Y distance. Whether this extra expenditure favours many short steps or fewer longer ones, I can't say. But I doubt the calculation is as straightforward as the basic equations I learned in school.

Oh, absolutely.  It doesn't take into account friction with the ground, wind speed or other factors that can impede or enhance progress. However, since they're all doing the same task under virtually identical circumstances,  everyone should get similar effects from those factors which would then cancel out.

But, the other poster said that it takes less energy to climb stairs two at a time or to walk with longer strides and the laws of physics say otherwise.  

Edited by Rootbeer

Amen to hating the "we were Division 1 athletes" nonsense. That was 20 years and probably 75 pounds ago, Akbar. No shade -- I'm in my 50's and have gained weight over the years too, but I also don't claim to be an athlete. My friend's husband was very athletic in college, and he still goes on and on about it now, 30 years and MORE than 75 pounds later. He also lives vicariously through his children's athletic endeavors and never stops bragging about them. I find it beyond annoying. I'm not sorry to see A&S (well, really just Akbar) go. 

• Love 6

3 hours ago, Rootbeer said:

But, the other poster said that it takes less energy to climb stairs two at a time or to walk with longer strides and the laws of physics say otherwise.  

The actual research disagrees with you.

"The results showed that everyone used about the same amount of energy for each stride they took. But because people with shorter legs take more steps to cover the same distance as people with longer legs, short people used more energy over a given distance."

https://www.livescience.com/35159-walking-calories-burned-equation-101111.html

• Love 1
37 minutes ago, ninjakid said:

The actual research disagrees with you.

"The results showed that everyone used about the same amount of energy for each stride they took. But because people with shorter legs take more steps to cover the same distance as people with longer legs, short people used more energy over a given distance."

https://www.livescience.com/35159-walking-calories-burned-equation-101111.html

The article goes on to say that, although tall people with longer legs burn fewer calories per pound when walking, they end up expending more energy overall because they are supporting a greater mass against gravity.  Thanks for the info.  Obviously, there are a lot of variables in the equation when we're talking about human beings out in the world and not weights in the physics lab.

Edited by Rootbeer

This whole discussion reminds me of the whole thing where physics folks said that bumblebees shouldn't be able to fly according to the laws of physics. But the problem was that the physics folks didn't understand that insect physiology is vastly different than human physiology. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 2/3/2022 at 12:43 AM, CraftyHazel said:

I normally dislike alpha males in general, but I can’t hate on anything Ryan does.  I live in Missouri and remember when he was fighting for his freedom.  He seems like just a genuinely good guy.  That said, I still love Penn and Kim and loved seeing them so far ahead.

I didn't think Ryan was obnoxious at all.  "Eat-My-Dust-y" on the other hand ...

Edited by millennium
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5

Totally forgot about this episode with the Olympics on, but wow! What a fantastic episode! Just last week I was questioning whether anyone could beat Dusty and Ryan, and boom! The race gods delivered. Although I find them mostly likeable, I still delighted in seeing them get dusted by every team including the perpetual bottom dwellers. But man, talk about grit. The comeback was just as sweet.

I thought all of these challenges were great, although the donkey walk was too short. The rest, just classic TAR. I like these teams, and I hope Dusty and Ryan continue to struggle a little just to keep it interesting. I wouldn't be sad to see them win with all Ryan has gone through, but I am mostly rooting for Penn and Kim who have proven just as likeable as they are on social media.

• Love 5

By the way, why is this the last episode thread titled S33.E06: Say Cheese whereas S33.E06: Gently Down the Stream is the title for tonight's episode thread?

You can count the first night's broadcast as E1 & E2 making this episode E6 and tonight's episode E7.

Or you can count the first night's broadcast simply as E1, which would make this episode E5 and tonight's episode as E6. 

You gotta pick one and stick with it.

On 2/3/2022 at 9:54 AM, blackwing said:

I think Ryan and Dusty might be the only team left that I truly like.  Kim and Penn annoy me with their "look at me" videos

LOL. I know I'm biased because I'm a fan of the Holderness Family (Kim and Penn), but who in the heck posts videos that they don't want anyone to look at?

I'm also rooting for them because they're the oldest team. But they're in their 40s; they're not senior citizens. 

On 2/3/2022 at 9:54 AM, blackwing said:

I am glad that Akbar recognised that he lost them the leg.  He was constantly berating Sheri for being out of shape, but apparently he is out of shape as well.  No other team struggled with that course like he did.  Granted, no one weighs as much as he did either, but still.  Isn't he a Division 1 athlete?

On their aftershow, Kim and Penn talked about Akbar having bad knees, which is what did him in on the canyon challenge. But I still hated the way he talked to Sherri when she was completing her challenges.

• Love 1
On 2/4/2022 at 2:05 PM, aghst said:

Originally had a trip planned to Corsica in summer 2020.  So I rescheduled to 2021 and the trip encompassed Corsica and Nice and parts of Provence.

Ended up not going to Corsica at all because they required their own PCR test 72 hours before arriving.

The itinerary was to fly and spend a couple of nights in Nice and then fly to Corsica for a week.

But I wasn't sure where I would find a PCR test in Nice in time to get the results and fly to Ajaccio.

It turned out however, that France gave free tests to both residents and tourists in June and first half of July.  So I did get a free PCR test to visit Monaco, which also required PCR test.

Too late to visit Corsica though.

I don't know if Corsica dropped their requirement by the fall when these legs were filmed but maybe part of the protocols was frequent testing that the producers paid for.

For the most part, once you arrive in the EU. travelers from outside the EU weren't required to re-test each time they crossed EU borders.  That included Switzerland, which is not in the EU but goes along with many of the same travel policies.

Per an article I read between Legs 3 and 4, as part of the safety protocols for the restart, TAR had 2 testing teams that traveled with the cast and crew for the rest of the race.  So there was regular testing.

On 2/4/2022 at 5:35 PM, iMonrey said:

Frankly I think the most practical solution would have been to scrap the first three episodes and start fresh with whichever teams could return and fill out the rest of the cast with new teams.

I've seen this opinion espoused elsewhere, and I'll say the same thing I responded there:

That wouldn't be fair to the "new teams".  Even if they weren't aired, the returning teams would still have the benefit of the experience of the first three Legs (or just one, if you include the Singing Cops).  Not just the actual Racing experience, but the camaraderie and bonding that went on both during those legs and in the interim.  New teams would be starting 100% cold.

• Love 2
On 2/5/2022 at 12:23 PM, whiporee said:

I think his looked thicker, which might have been an issue of finding one in his size. But even the light ones are are still heavy. Not the hundred pounds he was claiming, but at least six or seven. As for the boots, I know that if I wear the wrong kind of footwear for the wrong situation, my feet hurt. My lighter sibling doesn't have that problem. So he might have just been adjusting to that -- and all-around cross trainers and those kinds of shoes are also sort of hard to find at size 16. Not justifying, because he and Sheri might have been the worst actual racing team in the history of the show. But I can also see how this season's tasks might have been tougher on them than what you'd see in a normal race.

That said, they were tired on the first part of the first leg running through London. Again, a weird casting choice for the show. Especially when they know there are going to be challenges (like the bungee jumping) he won't be able to do because of his size/weight. If they want to make the race winnable for people of non-athletic body style, they ought to cut back on the more cardio dependent tasks they've had. Not that they should, but people of larger sizes aren't going to be able to really compete if they are going to be as cardio focused as they've been this year. 

Kim and Penn said they read the clue in the car, thus knew to wear water shoes. Did Akbar not even have sneakers to wear? I'll give you that hiking in a wetsuit would be difficult, but everyone did it.

As for casting a 250+ contestant, I think the error is in that contestant still doing the race, knowing his/her partner will be required to do certain challenges rather than having a choice. From the show's point of view, that restriction can make for good TV.