Type keyword(s) to search

The Real Dirty Dancing - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I was expecting to watch this show and laugh at its ridiculousness, but I really liked it. The celerity contestants are really into it, which helps.

I liked the scenery and all of the movie nostalgia.

No favorites yet, but Corbin Blue is a great dancer.

And I'm not trying to body shame, but how is Loni Love going to do any lifts?

• Love 5

I thought the Backstreet Boy was the best Johnny.  Corbin was the best dancer but I think he was second but had a little more edge when he danced, I thought. 

I was surprised Tyler was chosen as the best Johnny other than he's probably the most traditionally handsome. 

I think they should focus on the dancing as I thought some of the recreations of the movie scenes felt cringe worthy.  I also wish they wouldn't focus on old movie clips as I feel it's a bit jarring.  It takes me out of the fun of what they're trying to do and makes me want to watch the actual movie. 

• Love 3
On 2/1/2022 at 11:05 PM, topanga said:

I was expecting to watch this show and laugh at its ridiculousness, but I really liked it. The celerity contestants are really into it, which helps.

I liked the scenery and all of the movie nostalgia.

No favorites yet, but Corbin Blue is a great dancer.

And I'm not trying to body shame, but how is Loni Love going to do any lifts?

I adore Loni - she's hilarious. But on a show like this? When they showed Tyler, I was thinking, "OH yeah - he will walk off with this!" Then they paired him with Loni, (it seemed) in order to handicap him. But I like how it ended with the girls choosing Johnny and the guys choosing Baby. I am in for this. Loni will supply some hilarious voice overs. She made no pretense that she knew she was only there for the comic relief and she will BRING it!

• Love 4

Loni was guest hosting on Daily Pop today.  They had Tyler on.  It was hilarious.  They both had a great time.  Loni was blushing.  Tyler said he watched the show with his grandmother.  I laughed at him talking about her reaction to watching the dance.  

• Love 3

I was not surprised Loni was the first to go. I always enjoyed her humor on Chelesea Lately. And women of all sizes should be encouraged to dance.

I went to Mountain Lake about seven years ago. The lake had almost disappeared. It's a natural lake and it drains at times. I wonder if they were still on the property during the lift scene. A drone seemed to show the water was on the property.

The gazebo and lodge of Mountain Lake Lodge in Virginia was in the movie, but they've recreated sets such as where they danced to Hungry Eyes. The dance studio, Johnny's cabin, and the dirty dancers' area were in buildings at an old Scouts camp in NC. The bridge too. I got to go there as a teen in the 80s after the movie came out and got pictures of me on the bridge and in the buildings. Unfortunately, those building were destroyed, and there's a housing development there now.  The bridge was messed up. I wish the NC location could've been kept somehow. 

Anyway, the show just brings back great memories and I look forward to future shows. 

• Love 9
5 hours ago, LakeGal said:

This is a feel good show for me.  I sit and smile and laugh while watching it.  

I love it too.  I love shows where everyone gets along and just has fun with it.  I was surprised and happy Tyler chose who he did because in the first episode I thought she was one of the best.  That said she struggled last night, but I think they knew it was a random thing and that they will probably do much better in future dances.  

As for Loni, she was really great and fun, and did a good job, but unfortunately it was never gonna work with that lift having to happen at some point :-(  I lol when she went in to see Tyler in the sexy scene in the cabin.  That was awesome how she did that scene in the beginning.

• Love 5
56 minutes ago, alexa said:

I love it too.  I love shows where everyone gets along and just has fun with it.  I was surprised and happy Tyler chose who he did because in the first episode I thought she was one of the best.  That said she struggled last night, but I think they knew it was a random thing and that they will probably do much better in future dances.  

As for Loni, she was really great and fun, and did a good job, but unfortunately it was never gonna work with that lift having to happen at some point :-(  I lol when she went in to see Tyler in the sexy scene in the cabin.  That was awesome how she did that scene in the beginning.

I agree….he and Brie are the youngest and most conventionally attractive, and he could have chosen her. 

Loni and Tyler were a hoot together.  

• Love 5
9 hours ago, yourdreamer said:

I really do enjoy this show. I have always enjoyed Cat, so it’s fun to see her outside of cooking shows. I wish Twitch would get to dance some though - he’s a great host but he’s an even better dancer. 

See, I didn't know that about Twitch. When he was watching the couples rehearse and gave critiques, I was like, WTF do you know about dancing? LOL

I was sorry to see the backstreet boy go. He's a great dancer and has swagger. I love Loni, but she really weighed him down (no pun intended). And as a black woman, I feel comfortable saying how ironic it is that Loni and Antonio Gates are the worst dancers, IMO. They're both very stiff and seem to lack natural rhythm. But kudos to them for going outside their comfort zones to be on this show.

I'm still enjoying the show. I love that Cat sells the passion and chemistry with her partners and keeps pointing out that she never feels that with men. LOL. And Anjela (sp) is married and seems like she might be a conservative Christian, but she's selling the sexy, too. I can't figure Brie out yet. She's very focused on the moves but needs to show the rhythm and sensuality of the dances.

Corbin and Tyler are still great. 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, topanga said:

I didn't know that about Twitch. When he was watching the couples rehearse and gave critiques, I was like, WTF do you know about dancing? LOL

Twitch is an amazing dancer. He dances a bit as DJ on Ellen's show. But yeah, he can rock the dance floor like no other. It was cool to see him get to host this show, which, and I agree with everyone here, is refreshing to see everyone having fun with no manufactured producer-driven DRAH-mah. I got a kick out of Tyler extending his 15 minutes of fame. I bet he agrees that applying to be on The Bachelorette is the best (luckiest) thing he's ever done!

• Love 2
3 hours ago, DEL901 said:

He came in second on So You Think You Can Dance 

12 minutes ago, PBnJay said:

Twitch is an amazing dancer. He dances a bit as DJ on Ellen's show. But yeah, he can rock the dance floor like no other. It was cool to see him get to host this show, which, and I agree with everyone here, is refreshing to see everyone having fun with no manufactured producer-driven DRAH-mah. I got a kick out of Tyler extending his 15 minutes of fame. I bet he agrees that applying to be on The Bachelorette is the best (luckiest) thing he's ever done!

He is good. Thanks for that clip. 

• Love 1

This week's episode was really good. 

I wasn't impressed with Tyler at the beginning of the season, but he's really grown on me. I think it helps that he looks the most like Johnny. But in their performance, he and Anjelah had the best chemistry--the eye contact, the sensuality--it was hot. And their dance moves were great as well. Tyler has some, um, rhythmic hips.

Corbin is the best technical dancer, but he's not bringing the sexy. I know he tries, but he and Cat don't have great emotional chemistry. They dance well together, but it seems like they're always focusing on doing the right moves. I want to see them have more fun.

I wasn't surprised that Antonio and Brie were the ones eliminated. I'm proud of both of them from going outside of their comfort zones to do something challenging. But they always seemed a little stiff and uncomfortable when they danced. 

• Love 4
40 minutes ago, topanga said:

This week's episode was really good. 

I wasn't impressed with Tyler at the beginning of the season, but he's really grown on me. I think it helps that he looks the most like Johnny. But in their performance, he and Anjelah had the best chemistry--the eye contact, the sensuality--it was hot. And their dance moves were great as well. Tyler has some, um, rhythmic hips.

Corbin is the best technical dancer, but he's not bringing the sexy. I know he tries, but he and Cat don't have great emotional chemistry. They dance well together, but it seems like they're always focusing on doing the right moves. I want to see them have more fun.

I wasn't surprised that Antonio and Brie were the ones eliminated. I'm proud of both of them from going outside of their comfort zones to do something challenging. But they always seemed a little stiff and uncomfortable when they danced. 

I echo everything you said, other than I thought Tyler was the best from the beginning :-)  But I loved his dance last night...definitely the best.  Cat and Corbin come across as very awkward to me as a pair, and the other pair had no chance, but did a good job. 

Edited by alexa
  • Love 4
On 2/10/2022 at 3:28 PM, PBnJay said:

I got a kick out of Tyler extending his 15 minutes of fame. I bet he agrees that applying to be on The Bachelorette is the best (luckiest) thing he's ever done!

I find this an interesting choice for him.  Not terribly high profile and the prize…it’s for charity, right?

He also had a cameo on SNL.  They were doing a Bachelorette  spoof.  All the other fake contestants were people like Chris Rock, John Cena, Jesse Williams…..and Tyler, the only real former contestant.

• Love 1

Why did they show so little of the final dance?  The camera angles were bad, and it was all rushed when this was the whole point of the show.  I would have loved to see more of Tyler’s dance but there was hardly anything shown.  

• Love 4

Objectively, Corbin was the best dancer…but he is also a professional dancer and actor.  He also seems really nice.  But I preferred Tyler and Angelah’s performance.   They had the emotional part of the performance down and the better lift.    But I can’t complain too much about the result.  I liked the final four.  

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, DEL901 said:

Objectively, Corbin was the best dancer…but he is also a professional dancer and actor.  He also seems really nice.  But I preferred Tyler and Angelah’s performance.   They had the emotional part of the performance down and the better lift.    But I can’t complain too much about the result.  I liked the final four.  

Me too.  Wanted Tyler to win.  I felt his and Angelah’s performance more.  I have felt from the beginning they planned for Corbin and Cat to win, but it feels a bit forced for me.  

• Love 4

I always found Corbin and Cat more mechanical.  I felt like they were counting steps and moves.  I enjoyed the more emotional dance of Tyler and Anjelah.  

I noticed they kept saying it was the FIRST winner.  Will they be doing this again?

• Love 3

I embarrassed myself by crying through both of the dances. Maybe it was nostalgia or just because I was so happy that both couples did the lift successfully. I was routing for Tyler and I think he might have won if he had a partner with a higher profile. 

• Love 6
51 minutes ago, Koalagirl said:

I embarrassed myself by crying through both of the dances. Maybe it was nostalgia or just because I was so happy that both couples did the lift successfully. I was routing for Tyler and I think he might have won if he had a partner with a higher profile. 

That is why I think the decision was kind of forced--she did a fabulous job with Tyler and it shouldn't matter that both of them are a little less known.  It was like they were planning for Corbin and Cat to win from the beginning instead of really looking at who pulled it off best.  That is how I felt about it.  I like Cat and Corbin, but never felt like they worked together as well as Twitch wanted us to think they did, lol.  

• Love 5
On 2/22/2022 at 10:03 PM, DEL901 said:

On 2/17/2022 at 4:13 AM, MsTree said:

Agree. Maybe it's because Cat, herself, doesn't feel very sexy with Corbin. 

Just watched the finale -- I've been out of town, and I'm still catching up on my DVR'd shows.

Let me start by saying that I love, love Corbin Blue. He's a great dancer and seems like a nice guy. I've enjoyed every movie he's been in. That being said...

I agree with both you. Anjelah and Tyler were better. Their dance was sexier, and it was still really good technically. And they both looked like they were having fun. I loved Anjelah's giggling on stage. She and Tyler really channeled Baby and Johnny. I felt the heat and chemistry from them (as dancers). 

Corbin is a better dancer technically--his solo was better than Tyler's. But yeah, he and Cat seemed very mechanical. I felt nothing when watching them dance. Both teams nailed the lift, but Tyler and Anjelah looked better. Probably because Tyler is taller, and Anjelah is tiny. 

And certain moves paled in comparison. Like when they were on stage, and Johnny had to hump Baby's thigh a few times. Tyler's was perfect--sexy and well-executed. But Corbin rushed through his. If the way a man dances tells you how he'd perform in the bedroom--let's just say I'd call Tyler first. 

I do think Corbin and Cat were better during the "She's Like the Wind" goodbye scene.

Overall, a very fun show. I'm glad I watched with you all.

• Love 4