Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Aniq

• Start Topic

It is unfortunate that none of the people in this show do a brand of comedy that I find funny. I am also not familiar with many of the different tropes common to different genres of movies. The story seems well written, although it seems a little contrived. The daughter's babysitter brings the child to the mother and says there is an emergency with the child and the mother runs off to find the father instead of trying to figure out why the child is in distress and attempting to alleviate it.

5 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

The story seems well written, although it seems a little contrived.

It's hard to tell from this episode whether the show is contrived or just that Aniq's romcom version of life is contrived. It does hint at deviations from reality, like when the detective asked if it rained again and it actually hadn't.

I love Ben Schwartz's Yasper. 

The title sequence is aces. I love the stylized graphics and the hints of which genre will tie to which character.

• Love 5
54 minutes ago, arc said:

I love Ben Schwartz's Yasper. 

I very much enjoyed him. When he hit Aniq with his car I just flashed back to him as Jean Ralphio on Parks and Rec purposely getting hit by a car and telling the story in song, "Somebody got run over by a Lexus."

• Love 3

I was about to throw something at my TV when different characters kept pronouncing Xavier's name differently ("zavier" vs. "ex-zavier").  The TV newpeople went with the more standard "zavier", but some (not all) of his old classmates used "ex-zavier".  I would have thought his old classmates would be the ones who knew how his name was pronounced.

Fortunately for my TV, they finally noted that he only started going by that name after he got famous.  Then they had a scene where someone came out and asked him which was correct, and he said something like "whichever you want".  I almost think they had to go back and add that exchange when they went to edit the episode (series?) and realized that different characters were saying it differently.

I watched a lot of TV yesterday so I could be remembering incorrectly, but wasn't it a girl who said, "whatever one you want." I just remember at the moment thinking it was just flirty talk.  And if he didn't use it until he became famous I can see it not really mattering to him as that's not his name? (Clearly I need to rewatch}

I don't think Xavier is an out there name, but I also have friends who have unique names and just get sick of correcting people. It's a shame really.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, grandmabegum said:

I watched a lot of TV yesterday so I could be remembering incorrectly, but wasn't it a girl who said, "whatever one you want." I just remember at the moment thinking it was just flirty talk.  And if he didn't use it until he became famous I can see it not really mattering to him as that's not his name? (Clearly I need to rewatch}

I don't think Xavier is an out there name, but I also have friends who have unique names and just get sick of correcting people. It's a shame really.

Hmm, I thought it was Xavier who said that himself, but I could easily be mistaken.

And growing up in Catholic schools, Xavier was definitely not an out there name.  Not among peers, but among saints, priests, things named after saints...

• Love 1
4 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Hmm, I thought it was Xavier who said that himself, but I could easily be mistaken.

Sorry, I completely flubbed that sentence. I meant wasn't it a girl he said "whatever you want" to. He totally was the one who said it. I just meant, he might have been flirting with her and really didn't care if she said his name correctly or not.

Edited by grandmabegum
  • Love 1

Just discovered this show and watched the first episode.  I think it's awesome.  I love Tiffany Haddish and I particularly like her role here as the skeptical/cynical detective.  Especially when Aniq was all "wait, you're a detective and you didn't notice this" and she's all "my brain doesn't work like that".  You look at her and think "how did this dingbat become a detective" and I think that's done on purpose.

The cast of characters is great and I'm going to enjoy the pieces of the mystery being slowly peeled apart like an onion.

On 1/29/2022 at 8:33 AM, SoMuchTV said:

I was about to throw something at my TV when different characters kept pronouncing Xavier's name differently ("zavier" vs. "ex-zavier").  The TV newpeople went with the more standard "zavier", but some (not all) of his old classmates used "ex-zavier".  I would have thought his old classmates would be the ones who knew how his name was pronounced.

Fortunately for my TV, they finally noted that he only started going by that name after he got famous.  Then they had a scene where someone came out and asked him which was correct, and he said something like "whichever you want".  I almost think they had to go back and add that exchange when they went to edit the episode (series?) and realized that different characters were saying it differently.

I think that's part of the joke, nobody knows how to say his name.  I don't think the actors are messing up, I would think they are told how their character says his name.  I think the joke is that he is supposedly world famous and people still don't know who he really is.  Someone's name is pretty much the nearest and dearest thing about someone's identity, and here, his high school classmates don't even know how to say it.  He seemed really weary when he was telling that girl "whichever you want", like he's tired of people not knowing.

For years growing up, when I read my X-Men comic books, I kept wondering if Professor Charles Xavier pronounced his name as "eks-zavier" or just "zavier".  I always told myself it was "eks-zavier" since they were the "eks" men.  Then the classic animated show came out in the 90s and things were confirmed.

• Like 4