Type keyword(s) to search

Production News, Spoilers & Speculation: 60th Anniversary / Season 01 & 02 (Disney+/BBC)

DanaK
  • Start Topic

Roger ap Gwilliam. Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but I see a possible connection to Ancelyn ap Gwalchmai. I've wanted to revisit all those little details presented in Battlefield, but it keeps not happening. Maybe this time will be the go.

2 hours ago, Anduin said:

Roger ap Gwilliam. Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but I see a possible connection to Ancelyn ap Gwalchmai. I've wanted to revisit all those little details presented in Battlefield, but it keeps not happening. Maybe this time will be the go.

I mean, there might be a connection, it's Doctor Who so anything is possible, but the name element 'ap' just means 'son of', so there is no actual connection at all between the names. Both ap Gwilliam and ap Gwalchmai are patronymics rather than surnames, in the old Welsh style - although both make me wince because although on the surface of things Ancelyn looks as if it could be a Welsh name, it really isn't, especially not pronounced like that, and Gwilliam reads weirdly to me because the usual Welsh version of William would be Gwilym, so making it Gwilliam instead feels a bit of a mishmash.

Saying that, I'd love to revisit Battlefield, too. Bambera and Ancelyn were great characters - the sort who in this era of Who could easily have sparked a spin-off!

• Like 2
9 hours ago, cardigirl said:

What does "in the following festive period" mean?  That the 15th doctor's start will be a Christmas/New Year's show?

From what has been said so far, yes. It will be a festive special, either Christmas or New Year or something in between. Then the 8 episode Series 14 will premiere  sometime in 2024, possible in the Spring

• Like 1
(edited)

Series 14 Block 4 will be directed by Ben Chessell

David Tennant will be a presenter on Comic Relief to be held next Friday (17th). There might be a Doctor Who related sketch

Edited by DanaK
  • Love 1

So given the teasers and clues hidden in them, it’s looking like there will be some sort of trailer for the 60th specials before the Eurovision final on Saturday. So those in the UK should keep an eye out just before 8pm UK time

Also:

(edited)

The binary code reportedly translates to "3  hours to go". So a new trailer or whatever it will be will be shown at about 8pm UK time (3pm Eastern Time in the US) just before Eurovision starts

Edited by DanaK
2 hours ago, DanaK said:

I just saw the headline and came here to see if you'd posted it already!

Interesting. Bonnie's time on the show coincided with a very difficult period, in terms of production, and is regarded by many as a low point in the show's history, for various reasons, but Mel's story was intriguing, in its way, and completely open-ended - her relationship with the Doctor was so...timey-wimey, long before River made an out-of-order relationship a whole big thing. I'm really curious to see if they pick up any of those loose threads that were left dangling, so long ago. Mel left the TARDIS to go travelling through space with Sabalom Glitz, and that was somewhere way in the future, but we know from her brief appearance in Jodie Whittaker's last episode that she is living on Earth in our current time. There's a massive gap in her story there. I wonder how much we'll learn about what she's been up to and how she got back here!

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, Llywela said:

I just saw the headline and came here to see if you'd posted it already!

Interesting. Bonnie's time on the show coincided with a very difficult period, in terms of production, and is regarded by many as a low point in the show's history.

Have you ever listened to the audio adventures? Some of the Six and Mel stories are pretty good. They tone down both characters personalities just enough to make it work. I half-remember one especially, set in, I think, an airport. Wish I could remember the name.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Anduin said:

Have you ever listened to the audio adventures? Some of the Six and Mel stories are pretty good. They tone down both characters personalities just enough to make it work. I half-remember one especially, set in, I think, an airport. Wish I could remember the name.

Big Finish audio adventures have done wonderful things with some of the less-well-loved characters of the '80s. I was talking specifically about Mel's era of the TV show, which is what the vast majority of people will know her for, rather than the more niche audio adventures, which are great but have a much smaller audience..

Then again, we already know that characters from Big Finish are going to be drawn into the RTD2 era, so who knows how it is going to play out!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Llywela said:

Big Finish audio adventures have done wonderful things with some of the less-well-loved characters of the '80s. I was talking specifically about Mel's era of the TV show, which is what the vast majority of people will know her for, rather than the more niche audio adventures, which are great but have a much smaller audience..

Yeah, I get you. I just meant that it's possible to have a good story featuring a previously unpopular character. :)

• Like 2