Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E10: Seeing the Light

• Start Topic

46 minutes ago, Lethallyfab said:

Also, Miranda you had Brady BAPTIZED and named Carrie as his godmother.  But Carrie believing in an afterlife is too much for you?  You showed up at a b’nai mitzvah, a ceremony drawing upon the Goldenblatt’s religious heritage.  And, again, you thought your apartment had a ghost in a SATC episode!

It was just so unkind to Carrie. My ex-BF and I were at the Belmont Stakes at a very fancy event when Ronald Reagan's death was announced. I am no fan whatsoever of Reagan whereas my BF had told me that Reagan was "a personal hero" of his. So when the announcement came over the intercom and everyone in the room, including my BF, stood and lowered their heads in respect, so did I. Because that was not the time to make it about me. Had I been alone, I wouldn't have but I didn't want to hurt his feelings or mock whatever he was feeling. It doesn't cost anything to be kind but God forbid Ayn Rand-a deny herself anything.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
6 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I'm sorry I know this isn't woke but I don't think I will ever get used to using "they" as a pronoun for an individual. I'm far from transphobic but I'm a stickler for grammar and "they" and "them" are plural. I'm not a fan of changing the meaning of words. If "he" or "she" are not appropriate then we need to come up with a brand new pronoun, not re-define an existing one.

They/them has been redefined throughout the course of history. Here are some resources for you:

https://www.bbc.com/news/newsbeat-49754930

https://www.theatlantic.com/culture/archive/2021/06/gender-neutral-pronouns-arent-new/619092/

Language is created by humans, and humans change over time.

Now, onto the episode...

Miranda is a fucking asshole. If someone doesn't want to believe in Heaven, or practice Christianity, then that's their right. However, to compare believing in Heaven to believing in the Easter Bunny? It is really condescending, hurtful, and fucking disgusting. You're essentially telling a grown ass person that they are acting like a child. How about you fucking grow up, Miranda? Asshole. I would've left the table if I were Carrie. I had a friend one time equate believing in God to believing in the tooth fairy, and I have never forgotten how I felt in that moment. Totally unnecessary.

I agree with others that Rock's behavior was bratty. They could've said anything prior to the day of their they mitzvah. The only reason you'd wait to bring it up until the day of is to show that you have absolutely no consideration for other people's feelings. It's not about forcing a religion on someone; it's about how to be compassionate to other people. Charlotte and Harry are loving parents, and I feel as though Rock is just constantly shitting in their faces. I feel bad for Charlotte and Harry.

Anthony has been the best thing about this revival. Who would have thought?

It was obvious that Che's singing was an excuse to have Sara Ramirez sing since they have a beautiful voice. Also, Miranda looked older than one of Che's grandmothers when she was sitting in the middle at the club. I fail to see why either of them is attracted to the other.

I agree with @Ms Blue Jay re: Cynthia Nixon's teeth. I understand that dental work is very expensive, and I understand that actors can come to be known for distinguishing features that they shouldn't change (a la Jennifer Grey and her former nose). However, I'm sure by this point in her life that Cynthia has accumulated more than enough money to have dental work done, and her teeth are not a distinguishing feature that would make changing them harmful to her career. I will never understand people who have plenty of money to take care of their teeth not doing it; it is a privilege to be able to adequately take care of your teeth.

This season ended as best as it could, although, the bar was so low that it was in Hell.

Edited by PepSinger
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, RedHawk said:

I just need to say, Sarita Choudhury really classed up this joint.

I've never seen her in anything before, but I hope she gets some good offers after that performance. She'd deserve it.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Yeah, I was wondering about that, because he has clearly lost a lot of weight since the Californication/SATC movies days.

Evan's a cancer survivor (leukemia). I believe he overhauled his diet, etc., and lost weight.

I always forget Cynthia Nixon is a breast cancer survivor too.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Yikes this whole series has felt like a vanity project for both Cynthia Nixon and Sara Ramirez, but this episode especially for the latter. The "stand up" was bad enough, but the singing? 

I'm sorry I know this isn't woke but I don't think I will ever get used to using "they" as a pronoun for an individual. I'm far from transphobic but I'm a stickler for grammar and "they" and "them" are plural. I'm not a fan of changing the meaning of words. If "he" or "she" are not appropriate then we need to come up with a brand new pronoun, not re-define an existing one.

Now get offa my lawn.

Do you use thou instead of you? Technically you is plural. And singular they/them has been in use for about the same time you has been used as singular. Most people use they/them for people of unknown gender all the time...it's not a big leap to use it for people who don't identify as one of the binary genders.

For the record I'm not trying to be snarky, but it's a common misconception that singular they/them is grammatically incorrect when it isn't and even if it was once...language evolves. 

That being said, this show has done absolutely no favors, for the nonbinary, trans, or queer community imo. And I say that as someone who would be considered pretty freaking "woke." 

I'm a queer woman and I did watch SATC when I was younger (long before I was out) and I always identified mostly with Miranda, in hindsight I think because she was queer coded. So I'm not opposed to a storyline of her exploring or coming to terms with her sexuality. But I am also sick and tired of plots involving queer woman discovering their sexuality by cheating on male partners. It's a pervasive trope, and I really think it needs to stop. Cheating isn't ok just because you're  exploring  your sexuality. I'd be fine with Miranda's story if her and Steve were divorced prior to it's start or she and Steve has already agreed to an open marriage because they decided they loved each other but weren't sexually attracted to each other anymore.  In fact I think that would have actually been a progressive storyline. 

I don't particularly hate Che...Honestly we didn't learn enough about them for me to have any strong feelings.  They seem to be a walking cliche. A parody of what boomers think millennials are like. Actually most of the "progressive" storylines seemed like this to me. It's what the least woke people on the planet think wokeness is. I'd super love to see a fleshed out NB character, but Che wasn't it.

I also take issue with the segway between Miranda's drinking and her relationship with Che. It made it seem like she was replacing one addiction with another. Which is super common but I don't think that's what the show wants us to think happened. I also didn’t like that the problem drinking was completely unmentioned after that comment about drinking nonalcoholic cider. They pretended that Miranda just stopped drinking without issues. Having her struggle with sobriety would have been interesting.  Heck having either Che being sober as well could have been something to have  them bond over...or having Che's drug use and frequenting places with alcohol be a source of conflict in their relationship could have both been interesting stories to tell.

All the storylines seemed very superficial in this, with really no stakes. And while I would have loved to see a continuation of SATC that corrected some of the issues with the original,  namely the lack of diversity, and issues with how queer characters were treated (bi erasure, transphobia etc), this seemed to do it in the most lazy ham fisted way possible. 

Edited by Proclone
Clarity
  • Love 16

I theorised quite a few episodes ago that these writers have no idea what a podcast is and think it's just radio. That was confirmed today when they were taking live fucking calls.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Aulty said:

I've never seen her in anything before, but I hope she gets some good offers after that performance. She'd deserve it.

I recommend Sarita Choudhury’s 2016 film “A Hologram for the King” with co-star Tom Hanks, or go all the way back to 1992’s “Mississippi Masala” with co-star Denzel Washington, directed by Mira Nair. 

Edited by RedHawk
  • Useful 2
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, Mattipoo said:

BTW wasn't John Corbett supposed to make an appearance? Were his scenes cut or something?

According to this article he was never supposed to be on the show. There are other articles, including one I posted in the Media thread, with his quote that he would be returning and thought he’d be in “several episodes”.

I think maybe he was playing along with the “will he or won’t he?” interviewer questions in the media frenzy about the show. But the other actors who teased that “maybe” they’d be back were later confirmed as definite by the producers. I figured John Corbett was exaggerating and we’d get one short scene or maybe an e-mail (SATC callback), so was surprised that he wasn’t on at all, and it’s clear that he didn’t film a cameo that later got cut.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, PepSinger said:

They/them has been redefined throughout the course of history. Here are some resources for you:

https://www.bbc.com/news/newsbeat-49754930

https://www.theatlantic.com/culture/archive/2021/06/gender-neutral-pronouns-arent-new/619092/

Language is created by humans, and humans change over time.

Now, onto the episode...

Miranda is a fucking asshole. If someone doesn't want to believe in Heaven, or practice Christianity, then that's their right. However, to compare believing in Heaven to believing in the Easter Bunny? It is really condescending, hurtful, and fucking disgusting. You're essentially telling a grown ass person that they are acting like a child. How about you fucking grow up, Miranda? Asshole. I would've left the table if I were Carrie. I had a friend one time equate believing in God to believing in the tooth fairy, and I have never forgotten how I felt in that moment. Totally unnecessary.

I agree with others that Rock's behavior was bratty. They could've said anything prior to the day of their they mitzvah. The only reason you'd wait to bring it up until the day of is to show that you have absolutely no consideration for other people's feelings. It's not about forcing a religion on someone; it's about how to be compassionate to other people. Charlotte and Harry are loving parents, and I feel as though Rock is just constantly shitting in their faces. I feel bad for Charlotte and Harry.

Anthony has been the best thing about this revival. Who would have thought?

It was obvious that Che's singing was an excuse to have Sara Ramirez sing since they have a beautiful voice. Also, Miranda looked older than one of Che's grandmothers when she was sitting in the middle at the club. I fail to see why either of them is attracted to the other.

I agree with @Ms Blue Jay re: Cynthia Nixon's teeth. I understand that dental work is very expensive, and I understand that actors can come to be known for distinguishing features that they shouldn't change (a la Jennifer Grey and her former nose). However, I'm sure by this point in her life that Cynthia has accumulated more than enough money to have dental work done, and her teeth are not a distinguishing feature that would make changing them harmful to her career. I will never understand people who have plenty of money to take care of their teeth not doing it; it is a privilege to be able to adequately take care of your teeth.

This season ended as best as it could, although, the bar was so low that it was in Hell.

Nixon’s teeth have driven me crazy ever since she’s been a teenager. I’m two years older than her and, I was like you are an actress get those teeth fixed. I mean, I didn’t wear braces for four years for nothing. And, I’m not even on tv or movies. LOL!! Of course, it’s very shallow of me to s but it just drove me crazy about her especially when she started doing Sex & The City on HBO. I guess the gray hair was a plot device from the beginning (maybe not) but she did look great the end with the red hair. It just suits her. 

• Love 4
10 hours ago, PepSinger said:

I will never understand people who have plenty of money to take care of their teeth not doing it; it is a privilege to be able to adequately take care of your teeth.

I have to agree.  Her teeth distract me.  She clearly doesn't care about how she looks which is a little odd when she stars on this particular series.  I wonder if Cynthia also insisted upon the bad wig and her eyebrow look.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4

Welp, I stuck it out through all of the episodes, and I stand by my original point (which several commenters have made already): This could have been done much better, with nearly every plot point and character, with a better writing team.

Is HBO serious about a season 2? I hope not. It's unlikely I'll be back unless...no, never mind, I'm no longer interested in this story.

• Love 4

I have honestly never once noticed CN's teeth. 

I would like some sourdough challah for breakfast right now. 

I had no idea CN and EH were cancer survivors. 

I knew SR was a Broadway baby, and I'm sure they can sing well, but I couldn't tell from that California Girls cover. (Also, I bet Big was a Beach Boys fan). 

Also, tho they did ask Miranda to go with them, the song mostly seemed to exist to inform Miranda Che would be sampling a buffet of other women while in California, complete with semi-crude gesture of pointing to their crotch while singing  about being 'down there. 

But tho we know Che isn't into traditional, we get no real idea of what that means in regard to Miranda. Is she okay with Che having extracurricular fun? Will she join them? Is being with Che a bit of an adjustment, a learning curve, after only being with men all her life? You'd think some of these things might have been discussed between the friends. They used to discuss everything, and this is new territory for Miranda. Remember Samantha's "hey, did u know we have 3 holes down there?" (Which, um, yeah, Sam, did it actually take a little lesbianism to teach you that? I do not believe that) . Wouldn't you think there would have been SOME convo along those lines?

But I should probably be grateful there wasn't. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, Proclone said:

I also take issue with the segway between Miranda's drinking and her relationship with Che. It made it seem like she was replacing one addiction with another. Which is super common but I don't think that's what the show wants us to think happened. I also didn’t like that the problem drinking was completely unmentioned after that comment about drinking nonalcoholic cider. They pretended that Miranda just stopped drinking without issues. Having her struggle with sobriety would have been interesting.  Heck having either Che being sober as well could have been something to have  them bond over...or having Che's drug use and frequenting places with alcohol be a source of conflict in their relationship could have both been interesting stories to tell.

So much this! I noticed this as well--Miranda stopped drinking and immediately adopted another addiction, Che. But the show never explored that Che was her new addiction. And Che was themselves an addict, of weed. (JFC, the connnnstannnnt talk of weed.) This absolutely could and should have been explored but of course wasn't.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
13 hours ago, Mattipoo said:

BTW wasn't John Corbett supposed to make an appearance? Were his scenes cut or something?

I read an article last night that the writers were really pissed because they never had any intention of bringing Aiden back. So John Corbett should never have said that and they feel he owes them an apology. Unbelievable. 

• Love 2

Y'all have me looking up pictures of Nixon's teeth now .... 😁

In all seriousness, I kind of like when actors keep some "imperfections" -- not everyone has to have caps / bleached to the max smiles.  Also, I'm not even sure everyone's mouth can handle / will get the right results with straightening etc. -- some people have weird jaw issues.  

Unfortunately, I think Miranda's character became so annoying in the reboot that now everything about her annoys people.  

• Love 8
22 hours ago, Rai said:

On a lighter note, I'm delighted that Carrie is finally paying homage to the true fashion icon of the '80s: Peaches and Cream Barbie. Who wore it best? 😉

peaches and cream.jpg

Peaches and cream Barbie, I loved mine and YES Carrie stole her dress

• LOL 5
  • Love 2

Someone brought this up somewhere but if they needed an excuse for Che to sing why not have made them a singer? There could have been really moving performances that inspired Miranda the same way that horrible excuse for comedy did (and would have been more believable too, as Ramirez can really sing). I guess they felt they couldn’t shoehorn a reason for Carrie to know Che in that event but someone could have come up with something. 

Edited by Conotocarious
  • Love 3
22 hours ago, Rai said:

On a lighter note, I'm delighted that Carrie is finally paying homage to the true fashion icon of the '80s: Peaches and Cream Barbie. Who wore it best? 😉

peaches and cream.jpg

19 minutes ago, dmc said:

Peaches and cream Barbie, I loved mine and YES Carrie stole her dress

Barbie ALWAYS wears it best, 😆

• Love 8

Having Carrie end up with the hot producer in the end was so tacky and unoriginal. And looks-wise, he's way out of her league. Although, I will admit that SJP has been looking pretty gorgeous these past few eps, almost like she reverse-aged since the earlier episodes. Styling really makes a big difference.

• Love 7
16 hours ago, Blackie said:

Since KC seemed pretty reluctant to ever come back I don't now why they just didn't have her die of cancer. THAT happens! It would have been more believable.

I have been saying that since the revival was announced!

• Love 5
16 minutes ago, Roccos Brother said:

Having Carrie end up with the hot producer in the end was so tacky and unoriginal. And looks-wise, he's way out of her league. Although, I will admit that SJP has been looking pretty gorgeous these past few eps, almost like she reverse-aged since the earlier episodes. Styling really makes a big difference.

For me the annoying part, was he was legit introduced in the last episode.  I don't get it, why not bring him earlier...they really want a second season.  Because they could have used his hot content earlier

Edited by dmc
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
18 minutes ago, dmc said:

For me the annoying part, was he was legit introduced in the last episode.  I don't get it, why not bring him earlier...they really want a second season.  Because they could have used his hot content earlier

He's been in every episode that featured the "podcast," generally smiling so much at Carrie’s every utterance, and being so hot while he did it, that many speculated he would indeed wind up involved with her 

• Love 8
35 minutes ago, dmc said:

15 minutes ago, luna1122 said:

He's been in every episode that featured the "podcast," generally smiling so much at Carrie’s every utterance, and being so hot while he did it, that many speculated he would indeed wind up involved with her 

Yeah he’s been in a few episodes and making sexy eyes (but not creepy) at Carrie. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

I read an article last night that the writers were really pissed because they never had any intention of bringing Aiden back. So John Corbett should never have said that and they feel he owes them an apology. Unbelievable. 

So John Corbett just made it up?  At this point I don't believe anything the writers say.

• Love 3
40 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Yeah he’s been in a few episodes and making sexy eyes (but not creepy) at Carrie. 

LOL I didn't even notice 

I love how you emphasized (but not creepy)

30 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

So John Corbett just made it up?  At this point I don't believe anything the writers say.

Yes he made it up which made LOL.  

36 minutes ago, Rebecca berkowit said:

I’m sure they were planning to feature more of a gradual buildup with scenes of him and Carrie, but we got Che/Miranda instead.

I heard the original love interest for Miranda was the professor

Edited by dmc
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, dmc said:

LOL I didn't even notice 

I love how you emphasized (but not creepy)

Yes he made it up which made LOL.  

Yes, it was supposed to be the professor.  I think that awkwardness on the first day of class was supposed to be a meet-cute! 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, Rebecca berkowit said:

Yes, it was supposed to be the professor.  I think that awkwardness on the first day of class was supposed to be a meet-cute! 

That would have been a better storyline as opposed to the professor's story about her husband/kids that no one cared about.  Also she seems more Miranda's type

• Love 5
1 minute ago, dmc said:

That would have been a better storyline as opposed to the professor's story about her husband/kids that no one cared about.  Also she seems more Miranda's type

Preaching to the choir.  Nobody cared about that story because it wasn’t supposed to be there in the first place, so it didn’t fit.  That actress was just left hanging with Fertile Myrtle!

Edited by Rebecca berkowit
  • Love 9
17 hours ago, CarpeFelis said:

Why the heck didn’t Carrie pick Berger’s Post-It note as the worst breakup story? Still would’ve won.

It seems to me that AJLT existed in a vacuum that factored in almost nothing of SATC. I recall very few, if any, callbacks to SATC or mentions of things that happened during that era. 

Plus, Carrie got to remind everyone yet again that her husband died (ironically, very much in "paper covers rock" fashion).

• Love 5
12 minutes ago, Jillybean said:

It seems to me that AJLT existed in a vacuum that factored in almost nothing of SATC. I recall very few, if any, callbacks to SATC or mentions of things that happened during that era. 

I thought the first two episodes did have elements of SATC.  They brought back Muffy and that Susan woman. But once Miranda fell for Che the show changed and definitely not for the better.

They missed so many opportunities to reference SATC.  

• Love 8
1 hour ago, dmc said:

THIS would have been a much more realistic storyline for Miranda! The chemistry between Miranda and Nya is much more believable, plus they could have bonded over their shared interests in law, human rights, social justice issues etc. Not to mention the many "woke" storylines they can introduce to the show with Miranda practicing human rights law in NYC. Perhaps this can still happen if there is a season 2.

Edited by Mattipoo
Typo
  • Love 9
33 minutes ago, Jillybean said:

Plus, Carrie got to remind everyone yet again that her husband died (ironically, very much in "paper covers rock" fashion).

I really thought she was going to talk about the Post-It and the break up with Berger in that scene. 

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Rebecca berkowit said:

That was a horrible scene honestly.  Nobody would be charmed by Miranda's behaviour there.  🙄

I really like Karen Pittman, but I'm not sure how this storyline works either.  LGBTQ representation is not making straight characters gay 🙄. I get that people could discover they are bi later in life but two people at the exact same time and with each other? I guess it would make more sense if Nya is actually bi.  Although, that did happen on the pilot of "Grace and Frankie" and somehow I bought it there.  LOL

Even if it was Nya, and not Che, there would still be the adultery, there would still be the fundamental changing of a beloved and known character.  The only thing that would change is we could understand someone liking Nya (LOL) and mayyyyyyyyyyyyyybe understanding why Nya liked Miranda but only if Miranda didn't act like the dumbass dork like she did in the pilot.  Which I can't trust the writers with.  

Also, we wouldn't have the horrible fingerbanging scene which was definitely the nadir of the series.  Unless they wanted to do that with Nya too.  

I wonder how Karen Pittman felt, knowing that Cynthia marched in and said "I don't want Karen, I want Sara Rodriguez instead" 🙄. Guess what Cynthia maybe you and Miranda have different tastes?  You insisted on the show being "woke" but you refused to have love scenes with a Black woman?  Okay........

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7

I don’t see the big deal about Carrie keeping Big’s ashes next to her (favourite) shoes. It might be weird for a lot of people, but to Carrie, shoes are one of the most important parts of her life. So Big goes with them. Makes sense to me. 

think it's only Samantha who has relatively remained judgment free among the four of them. Carrie and Charlotte have had their own judgmental moments. But Samantha? Never judged when Charlotte divorced Trey, nor when Miranda considered abortion, nor when Carrie cheated on Aidan with Big, nor when Carrie got back together with Big, had her heart broken, and gotten back together again, etc.

Samantha could be judgy, mostly when it came to someone choosing motherhood. She was terrible when they went to the baby shower in the suburbs, so judgy about their friend giving up her big city life to be a mom in the burbs. She went on and on about it. In the first movie, she judged Miranda for not keeping up what she thought was the required waxing regimen. Miranda said she was busy with her job and her child, and Sam just waved at Charlotte saying she had a child and still was properly waxed (although Charlotte didn’t also have a job, so it was a false equivalency argument). She also was pretty judgy when Miranda took Brady along to their lunch. There are more instances but I don’t memorize every episode.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

That's what they're saying. Everything about this revival has reeked  disaster from the first episode on. 

Edited by bichonblitz
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Mattipoo said:

THIS would have been a much more realistic storyline for Miranda! The chemistry between Miranda and Nya is much more believable, plus they could have bonded over their shared interests in law, human rights, social justice issues etc. Not to mention the many "woke" storylines they can introduce to the show with Miranda practicing human rights law in NYC. Perhaps this can still happen if there is a season 2.

So now Nya is discovering herself sexually in her 50's too?

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
15 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Guess what Cynthia maybe you and Miranda have different tastes?  You insisted on the show being "woke" but you refused to have love scenes with a Black woman?  Okay........

What is the source for the claim that Cynthia Nixon changed the storyline because she refused to have love scenes with a black woman?

4 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

That's what they're saying. Everything about this revival reeks disaster. 

There is precedent for this.  I recall with the second movie, Kim Cattrall went out in public on the set wearing a wedding dress to make people think the movie would include a storyline where Samantha gets married.

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, Shermie said:

I don’t see the big deal about Carrie keeping Big’s ashes next to her (favourite) shoes. It might be weird for a lot of people, but to Carrie, shoes are one of the most important parts of her life. So Big goes with them. Makes sense to me. 

Samantha could be judgy, mostly when it came to someone choosing motherhood. She was terrible when they went to the baby shower in the suburbs, so judgy about their friend giving up her big city life to be a mom in the burbs. She went on and on about it. In the first movie, she judged Miranda for not keeping up what she thought was the required waxing regimen. Miranda said she was busy with her job and her child, and Sam just waved at Charlotte saying she had a child and still was properly waxed (although Charlotte didn’t also have a job, so it was a false equivalency argument). She also was pretty judgy when Miranda took Brady along to their lunch. There are more instances but I don’t memorize every episode.

I agree, Sam is my fave, but she could be judgemental too.  They were all just judgemental about different things.  She judged Carrie for trying to stick it out with Berger because they had bad sex on the first date.   😉

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3
17 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

What is the source for the claim that Cynthia Nixon changed the storyline because she refused to have love scenes with a black woman?

There is precedent for this.  I recall with the second movie, Kim Cattrall went out in public on the set wearing a wedding dress to make people think the movie would include a storyline where Samantha gets married.

I am curious about this too.  Was the reason because Nya was black?  Do you read this?

2 hours ago, mansonlamps said:

So now Nya is discovering herself sexually in her 50's too?

Maybe Nya was supposed to be bi?  They were both bi and didn’t know it?  Admittedly difficult, but that’s what makes for good stories.  I still maintain this would’ve been a more interesting and relatable plot for the audience, with them growing closer as friends first and then maybe deciding to take it somewhere else from there.   With Miranda maybe thinking about Steve more, and what it would mean for her marriage.   The Che thing felt like pure wish fulfillment, totally rushed, no conflict, no internal struggle.  (Because it was wish fulfillment, for one of the performers. You can’t hide that no matter how clever you think you are). The thing is, even a villain can be relatable, but someone who just does whatever they want and nothing happens, isn’t.  Drama is conflict.  People relate to conflict.  Without it, you get terrible shows, and unsympathetic characters. Like the one about the woman who had a crush on a comedian and …. got to be with them.  Right up there with the one about the team that nobody thought was going to win that…. didn’t win.   Or the huge ship that nobody thought could sink that … got to where it was supposed to be without incident.   I got a million of ‘em, I should write for this show!

Speaking of which, who exactly did they think was their target audience? I know they were trying to appeal to younger people, too, and diverse people, which is great!   But they’ve got to realize that a large part of us are women, like me, who watched the original show, which was, let’s face it, about women in their 30’s who dated men.  (So much so that the characters were often said to behave like gay men.). So if you’re going to update it, you’ve got to do so in a way that feels relatable to these fans as they get older.  You’ve got to assume they’re now married, have children.  Maybe want to change careers.  That’s why Charlotte’s plot worked, and Carrie’s. That’s why Miranda’s back to school plot would’ve worked.  Heck, lest you think I’m emphasizing the “dating men” part of the original show too much (though I would argue that was the whole show), you can even think that one of them might be tired of their marriage or discovering a new aspect of their sexuality.  But, are these women (and some men) who were single and out on the town in their 30’s, who are now getting older and want to see their old SATC friends and how they are doing, seriously going to want to watch someone behaving like an idiot, falling for an unfunny podcaster, having soft-focus sex fantasies, and banging in their friend’s kitchen?  I think not.  

Edited by Rebecca berkowit
  • Love 7

"Fun fact: Nya Wallace (Karen Pittman) was initially conceived as Miranda’s love interest, but Nixon had concerns about two formerly straight characters wading into a queer relationship and suggested Che instead."

Ok I looked this up.   

But it makes ZERO sense.  Two formerly straight characters.  Nya wasn't a character previously on this show.  And Nixon is a gay actor, right?  I feel like the current issues with this kind of thing are straight actors talking roles from queer actors.  

• Love 2
1 minute ago, violet and green said:

Cynthia Nixon said something disparaging about the idea of the professor and her character discovering each other sexually, as two people 'just fumbling around'. It was obviously 'hotter' in her mind to be overwhelmed by the Fonz.

She doesn't think much about Karen's acting then. 

• Love 6
6 minutes ago, dmc said:

She doesn't think much about Karen's acting then. 

No, I think it was more in regards to 'what would two straight women know about how to go about this', nothing to do with the actress or her abilities, but that they were cast as two straight women who fall for each other, originally.

• Love 2
Just now, violet and green said:

No, I think it was more in regards to 'what would two straight women know about how to go about this', nothing to do with the actress or her abilities, but that they were cast as two straight women who fall for each other, originally.

So basically they would both be in Miranda's circumstance at the same time.  Both two people questioning their sexuality and she thought that didn't ring true

• Love 5
1 minute ago, dmc said:

So basically they would both be in Miranda's circumstance at the same time.  Both two people questioning their sexuality and she thought that didn't ring true

No, I don't think from what she was reported to have said, that it wasn't that it wouldn't ring true - just that they would be, and I quote 'fumbling around' - whereas Che obviously knew what she was doing and it was a revelation to Miranda... 

• Love 2