Type keyword(s) to search

James Alexander Malcolm MacKenzie Fraser

peacefrog
  • Start Topic

He's Hot.

Is there really anything more to be said?

Okay, what the heck -- he's got a voice like fine whiskey.  It makes you go all warm inside, down in your wame.

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 9

At the risk of being a copy cat, yeah he's smokin'!

This could be tough without book talk but I'll give it a try.  How did it appear Jamie fit in with the other Highlanders?  Did they even mention him by name? 

Did they even mention him by name? 

Yes, after Dougal talks to Claire in the hut. He turns to the problem of mending "Jamie" up. They only say his name one other time (the bullet wound patching?) though. 

Did they even mention him by name?

If I recall correctly, after Dougal questions Claire in the cabin he says "We must do something about Jamie" and then he turns to ask him if he can ride.  You hear Jamie's reply but don't see him and then Dougal steps away and the camera zooms in a bit on the smokin hot young man being so artfully lit by the fire light.  

Or as they would say in Scots-speak...

He's a bonny lad...very puirty....sexay...

Okay, I made that last one up, but it still fits!

ETA: stoopid auto correct! There, all fixed naew.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 2

I must admit, I liked the scene in the woods, when he's all covered in blood and jumps down the horse to get to Claire and stop her from escaping. But the moment I actually felt pure love for the character, was when he smiled in the end and said "well, I guess you're coming with me". Yes, please, more of that small smile!

Also, in the scene when Claire was cursing and bandaging his arm and he was looking at her in pure admiration. Like she was the only thing existing in the whole world.

I'm looking forward to more Jamie and Jamie/Claire interactions.

• Love 7

I must admit, I liked the scene in the woods, when he's all covered in blood and jumps down the horse to get to Claire and stop her from escaping. But the moment I actually felt pure love for the character, was when he smiled in the end and said "well, I guess you're coming with me". Yes, please, more of that small smile!

Also, in the scene when Claire was cursing and bandaging his arm and he was looking at her in pure admiration. Like she was the only thing existing in the whole world.

I'm looking forward to more Jamie and Jamie/Claire interactions.

Yes!  That last look he is giving her is one of amazement and respect without being so cheesy.  That was very well done. 

• Love 1

I think it's noteworthy that Jamie delivers just about the only humor in the first episode. His glancing at Claire's boobs when she says she is a nurse only to look a wee bit embarrassed when she snaps "Not a wet nurse!" Is funny. His declaring the cold, wet night to be a "fine time" for a ride is funny. It's very endearing and it's smart writing.

• Love 1

I must admit, I liked the scene in teh woods, when he's all covered in blood and jumps down the horse to get to Claire and stop her from escaping. But the moment I actually felt pure love for the character, was when he smiled in the end and said "well, I guess you're coming with me". Yes, please, more of that small smile!

They replayed Outlander pretty much on the hour every hour yesterday, and I swear I stopped to watch that scene every time. The way he says "Well then," and then glances down at her mouth before finishing the line, and then that disbelieving smirk at the end? Perfect casting.

I love all the Jamie-is-hot and Jamie-is-charming moments in the first two episodes but what I particularly liked in episode 102 is Jamie's change in attitude during the scene where he volunteers to take the beating.  He really is a bit too big for his britches (if he were wearing any) at the beginning of that scene.  That smile and swagger are asking for trouble. And he gets it, which you see him realizing with increasing clarity after each hit.  The look he shoots Dougal after he bows to Colum . . . oooohh if looks could kill!  I really enjoyed watching Sam play that scene.

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 3

I'm more and more impressed with their choice for Jamie.

He's got it all - the cockiness, the bravado, but also that deeply rooted melancholy and charm.

It does help that Sam reminds me a lot of Alexander Skarsgard, especially when he half-smiles. Or looks longingly.

• Love 3

I love Sam, I think he's the perfect Jamie, but I had to watch the stables scene about 5 times before I could figure out what he was saying. I think he needs to pull back the brogue just a bit at times when it's a more dialogue heavy scene. He's definitely pulling off the charm though, and man, the way he looks at Claire in every scene... *fans self*

• Love 2

I had a tough time understanding him a lot in the second episode as well. When he first starts speaking the accent is really thick but then as he goes on it becomes more understandable.

I loved the stable scene though with the grass story and the hearth scene how and how he ends it with the chicken joke.

I love Sam, I think he's the perfect Jamie, but I had to watch the stables scene about 5 times before I could figure out what he was saying. I think he needs to pull back the brogue just a bit at times when it's a more dialogue heavy scene.

At this point I turned on closed captioning and rewound  :)

I figure if I watch it with CC the first time around then I can enjoy the second viewing without it- and God knows there is always a second (and third, and...) viewing.

• Love 1

I figure if I watch it with CC the first time around then I can enjoy the second viewing without it

That's exactly what I do.  I do the same thing for Downton Abbey due to the accents and I used to do the same thing for Deadwood (though in that case it was because the writing was so exceptional I did not want to miss a word.)  And the closed captions came in verra helpful for the stable scene  since Sam had to eat heartily during a good part of the dialog.  That had to be tricky for him.  Cait, I noticed, avoided the issue by taking teeny-tiny bites.

Can I just say how much I appreciate Sam, I mean Jamie, getting his wounds repeatedly tended while being gently lit by fire-light?    <sigh>  That's all.  I just wanted to share that.

• Love 4

I like his pretty red curly hair (although they aren't consistent with the styling of it and sometimes his hair looks terrible).  Jamie does seem to have a bit of a temper, which I saw in the second episode when he was interrupted by Claire while training a horse. 

Can I just say how much I appreciate Sam, I mean Jamie, getting his wounds repeatedly tended while being gently lit by fire-light?    <sigh>  That's all.  I just wanted to share that.

Yes, this is one of my favorite parts as well.  Lots of tension in those scenes.  It looks like this may be an ongoing thing this season, too.  In the preview for episode three,  

it looks like Claire is checking his shoulder wound AGAIN by the fireplace. There's also the added bonus of her unbuttoning his shirt this time.

I like his pretty red curly hair (although they aren't consistent with the styling of it and sometimes his hair looks terrible).

I am actually tired of characters in movies and TV series always being styled up the wazoo. I doubt a farmer/cattle thief would have spent a lot of time styling his hair during the day in 1743, so the hair looking terrible is getting a big thumbs up from me. That and the fact that I can relate to having hair that does what it wants, especially when there's rain involved. *g*

• Love 6

I am actually tired of characters in movies and TV series always being styled up the wazoo. I doubt a farmer/cattle thief would have spent a lot of time styling his hair during the day in 1743, so the hair looking terrible is getting a big thumbs up from me.

You must have loved that last shot of Claire after Mrs. Fitz dressed her.  She's back-lit by light from the window and her hair looks really bad -- frizzing all around her.  Which is, of course, very true to the books, but surprising in a TV show.  And yes, Jamie's hair was less than awesome in the scene where he volunteered to take the beating.  It was looking, dare I say it, rather mop-like.  And let's not even dwell on how it got that long in the two or three days since he arrived at Leoch.  It was markedly shorter on the ride during the first episode.  I wonder if that scene from episode 2 had to be re-shot for some reason?  I suspect Sam is letting his hair grow out (as Jamie's did in the book) since all the episodes are being shot essentially in order (blocks of two x 8 directors).

• Love 1

You must have loved that last shot of Claire after Mrs. Fitz dressed her.  She's back-lit by light from the window and her hair looks really bad -- frizzing all around her.  Which is, of course, very true to the books, but surprising in a TV show. 

I actually didn't even notice because it just fitted the scene. I usually get rather annoyed when characters on TV wake up in the morning with perfect hair and having had their faces done by some fairy make-up godmother while they were sleeping (that includes the men). It's the unrealistic stuff that stands out for me. I have to admit I chuckled at Claire's hair when she got out of bad and tried to eat her broth though. Made me really glad I chopped my hair off a few months ago because that was a sight I was very familiar with ;-)

On a more practical note, I guess the hair stylists on set are glad about the time-saving realism considering the humidity on location.

• Love 1

He may have been ready but I was not ready hearing him speak such sexy French. OMG he is so attractive. You should speak French all the time, Jamie. Funnily (for me, ha ha) I can understand French much better than the Scottish dialect.

• Love 2

Gorgeous gorgeous guy, but also seems like a very decent, honourable person. I mean, he seemed to treat Claire respectfully from the get go, and his taking the punishment for that poor girl. Oh, and yes show, you can give me more shots of him with no shirt on. Please and Thank you.

A couple of times in the episode Castle Leoch, his voice sounded exactly like Sick Boy from the movie Trainspotting (played by Jonny Lee Miller). Almost identical.

• Love 3

A couple of times in the episode Castle Leoch, his voice sounded exactly like Sick Boy from the movie Trainspotting (played by Jonny Lee Miller). Almost identical.

Now that you mention it, SH and JLM do have similar voices. Lovely, beautiful voices they are. JLM is not Scottish, but many people have said his accent was very authentic. 

Trivia time! Sam Heugan is actually blond and had to dye his hair red every two episodes (one "block" of shooting). 

• Love 3

Now that you mention it, SH and JLM do have similar voices. Lovely, beautiful voices they are. JLM is not Scottish, but many people have said his accent was very authentic. 

Trivia time! Sam Heugan is actually blond and had to dye his hair red every two episodes (one "block" of shooting). 

Really? Wow. It looks like it's his natural colour - like really suits him. I was even thinking, man they lucked out finding a redhead to play Jamie. He should keep it red. And longish. And shaggy. Mmmm....

• Love 2

Does anyone know what they do about his facial hair? I knew he was a blond and that they dyed his hair but I've been assuming his facial hair is naturally light brown or strawberry blond and so they can leave it alone. If they are coloring that too I'm really impressed because it looks completely natural.

There are different shades of blonde, ye ken? I know some that I would think of as dark blonde, or even not even dark blond, but brows, facial, chest hair and erm, hair south of the border, also is dark...so there's that, and no need for dyeing.

But I really can't picture Sam as a blonde.

Sam said he was blonde in this interview and on Twitter. I think he's more of a dark or sandy blonde.

He could also be a secret ginger. Many Irish or Scottish men have red beards even though their head hair is dark. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought most guys (well, I guess white guys and I guess lighter hair coloured guys), that when they first grew a beard, it always tended to be reddish. Like a teenage guy who started to grow a beard, it would always be reddish. It wasn't until a bit later, maybe after lots of shaving, that the beard would darken in colour. I have no idea why I think this....

I was scrolling through some of the photos on Sam Heughan's IMDB page and here's one where it looks like he has blonde hair, but it's in black and white so it's a little deceptive.

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3902004992/nm1537825?ref_=nmmd_md_pv

And here's a color photo where his hair looks blonde:

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3784564480/nm1537825?ref_=nmmd_md_pv

Oh, no no no....*vigourously shakes head* Way to corporate looking for me. He doesn't even look like the same guy, especially in the second picture.

No, I'll take the curly and messy redheaded version any day.

• Love 3

I watched 'A Princess for Christmas' today, and I was really surprised at my reaction to him in it. The pictures of Sam Heugan  pre-outlander always kind of put me off him, but he still had the smoulder back in the day, so I was actually attracted to him (despite the awful haircut).

Edited by doesntworkonwood