Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E14: We Made It, Ya Slags

TexasGal
  • Start Topic

I also think this was one boring season.  Several unlikeable cast members: Jake, Reyna, Heather.   Jake and his mustache don’t hold a candle to sweet Lloyd and his from BDM. 
Captain Lee wasn’t himself. 
It was just kind of a flop. 

• Love 8
On 1/31/2022 at 11:29 PM, crimson23 said:

Rayna at least did a great job. Give her that.   She did her job and aided in the galley. Flying colors. Heather, on the other hand, was mostly scattered and her manners need help.  Fingers in the food, doing her gross hair in the kitchen and tonight even scooting her butt across the table.  She couldn't keep her  big mouth shut when Rachel kept calling for quiet.  She is just an attention Hoe.

Pretty obvious her new stew pal kept her distance during that fight and had nothing to say.  Seems llke she has witnessed Heathers act before. 

Regardless of how great a job Rayna did, it was all overshadowed by her shit behavior.  Not just with Heather - getting upset over Heather using a word that Rayna used first, accepting both of Heather's apologies to her face and then bad talking her behind her back - but with everyone.  She was disrespectful to Eddie, disrespectful to Jake, disrespectful to Wes and disrespectful to Captain Lee.  She rolled her eyes, she had attitude with practically everything, and she bad talked coworkers behind their backs.  And practically swallowing Jake's mouth whole in the car ride to the dinner was gross.  

She may be the most vile individual BD has ever cast, and that says a lot.  I hope never to see her on my tv again.

• Love 17
9 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

Here I'll have to disagree. Rayna at least proved herself capable of knuckling down and doing adequate work, both on the deck and in the kitchen, even if it was with a bad attitude most of the time. And I didn't feel as if she needed to be kept separate from cutlery at all times for everyone's safety. That puts her way ahead of Rocky Dakota, who was incompetent at everything but swimming and flirting in addition to being poisonous on a personal level.

I respectfully disagree that Rayna proved herself, while rolling her eyes, bitching and moaning about Heather, pining for Jake and/or crying because Captain Lee and Eddie had the audacity to compliment her in a way she felt was insincere. 

Rocky certainly had her own issues but being poisonous on a personal level is a perfect way to describe Rayna.  She said in one episode that people often thought of her as an angry black woman.  After watching this season, we certainly know why.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 7

As far a work ethic goes I wouldn't compare Rayna to Rocky. Rayna  is more like Riley. Both did a good job as far as work goes and they were complimented on how they did their jobs. Both had real anger issues and Riley especially could not control her temper and mouth. No one want to work with people who are angry and volatile. Rayna had a reason to be angry with Heather. But instead of taking it up with Eddie and Captain Lee and let management decide what to do about Heather she couldn't let it go and she in my opinion made Heather the sympathtic one in the end. 

One question did Eddie tell Captain Lee exactly why Rayna was upset?  Captain Lee started acting angry with Heather the last charter.  Either he knew what went on between Heather and Rayna and he was pretty pissed at Heather or he is just not into this show since Kate left.

And one morre thing. Heather is no Kate. She needs to mature a lot and lose her sense of self importance.  

• Love 3
1 hour ago, 65mickey said:

As far a work ethic goes I wouldn't compare Rayna to Rocky. Rayna  is more like Riley. Both did a good job as far as work goes and they were complimented on how they did their jobs. Both had real anger issues and Riley especially could not control her temper and mouth. No one want to work with people who are angry and volatile. Rayna had a reason to be angry with Heather. But instead of taking it up with Eddie and Captain Lee and let management decide what to do about Heather she couldn't let it go and she in my opinion made Heather the sympathtic one in the end. 

One question did Eddie tell Captain Lee exactly why Rayna was upset?  Captain Lee started acting angry with Heather the last charter.  Either he knew what went on between Heather and Rayna and he was pretty pissed at Heather or he is just not into this show since Kate left.

And one morre thing. Heather is no Kate. She needs to mature a lot and lose her sense of self importance.  

Eddie did tell Captain Lee what Rayna told him, which was not exactly the truth.  Heather did use the word but only after Rayna herself used it and Heather did not direct it toward Rayna or anyone else.  The way Rayna recounted it made it sound like Heather directed the word toward Rayna.  

So no, in my book, Rayna had no reason to be angry with Heather.  

• Love 8
On 2/1/2022 at 12:08 PM, snarts said:

I wouldn't mind it actually.  Heather wasn't terrible but she wasn't nearly as good/interesting/entertaining as she thinks she is. 

I also think they're setting Eddie up to replace Captain Lee. As others have mentioned, he looks a little frail. Wondering if he's contemplating retirement.

If the show wants to replace Lee with Eddie they're going to need to buy a multimillion dollar yacht for him to run because I don't think the owners of these luxury yachts are going to turn them over to Capt Tugboat anytime soon. (Not a dig at him - I assume you need years as a first officer/credentials to be entrusted with something that valuable for insurance reasons, even if the owners wanted the tv advertising.) Of course they could have a real captain and just keep him out of the frame while Capt Eddie sits in the big chair (as has been done on Deadliest Catch).

53 minutes ago, psychoticstate said:

So no, in my book, Rayna had no reason to be angry with Heather.  

Certainly not after accepting Heather's first apology, at any rate. I would have been irritated by a co-worker saying "f*****" under similar circumstances, but after explaining why they shouldn't (as Rayna correctly did in the crew galley that first time) and hearing an apology the situation would have been resolved.

Edited by Bruinsfan
  • Love 10
22 hours ago, tvfanatic13 said:

Adam lived out of his van. I would love a spinoff of Rachel in her bus!

Maybe Bravo is creating a cooking show about Rachel touring the United States in her van as a traveling chef.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, 65mickey said:

With all due respect I will never ever recognize that Rayna had any reason whatsoever to be angry with Heather.  Heather did NOT name call Rayna the N word.  She merely parroted the exact same thing that Rayna had already said, and it was said abstractly, not directed towards anyone at all.  If Rayna had never uttered that word, then and only then would she have grounds for expressing her dislike of hearing that word uttered by anyone else, and not just white people.  And if Rayna had really been so mortally offended by Heather's repeating of the word as she pretended to be, she would never have forgiven Heather any of the multiple times that Heather sincerely apologized to her.  Rayna got off on having something to hold over the heads of all the white people on the boat by deliberately misleading them all to believe that Heather, a white person, had called Rayna the N word. 

I hope Rayna rots in hell, and sooner rather than later.

• Love 5

What Rayna did to Wes was reprehensible.  He should never want to see her again.

Heather was disappointing.

For the good-bye, she should have ignored Rayna, or

Told her to go f*** herself and would do her best to insure she never gets a yachting job again.  I imagine it's not that big of a world.  She may have already achieved that with her behavior.

I wouldn't want her in my kitchen either😎

• Love 6
20 hours ago, Meowwww said:

I also think this was one boring season.  Several unlikeable cast members: Jake, Reyna, Heather.   Jake and his mustache don’t hold a candle to sweet Lloyd and his from BDM. 
Captain Lee wasn’t himself. 
It was just kind of a flop. 

I wish I could like this post 1,000 over!  This perfectly sums up why I didn't like this season.  I've gotten spoiled from last season BDM with Lloyd, David, and Mzi--none of the crew from BD could hold a candle to BDM 

• Love 5
18 hours ago, Xebug67 said:

With all due respect I will never ever recognize that Rayna had any reason whatsoever to be angry with Heather.  Heather did NOT name call Rayna the N word.  She merely parroted the exact same thing that Rayna had already said, and it was said abstractly, not directed towards anyone at all.  If Rayna had never uttered that word, then and only then would she have grounds for expressing her dislike of hearing that word uttered by anyone else, and not just white people.  And if Rayna had really been so mortally offended by Heather's repeating of the word as she pretended to be, she would never have forgiven Heather any of the multiple times that Heather sincerely apologized to her.  Rayna got off on having something to hold over the heads of all the white people on the boat by deliberately misleading them all to believe that Heather, a white person, had called Rayna the N word. 

I hope Rayna rots in hell, and sooner rather than later.

Wow.

• Love 6

So much anger at Rayna on these boards. Rayna does not have to like Heather or accept her apology, even if we think she should.

I guess some people feel Rayna's getting away with her bad attitude and poor work ethic (which I do not see) by playing the race card successfully against a "woke" first mate, captain and network. It's too bad Captain Lee didn't get involved early on and tell Rayna that she doesn't need to like Heather, but what Heather did can't interfere with Rayna's work or her attitude. And they could have also had a broader conversation about what Heather said. After that, who really cares if Rayna likes Heather or not?

That's what should have been done even if the Heather incident happened off the boat, because it affected the morale on the boat. That's on Captain Lee for being too chickenshit to deal with it.

• Love 12

totally agree that she doesn't have to like Heather or accept her apology, but it does complicate matters greatly that she continued to "accept" her apology on the surface, leaving Heather to feel like it's been dealt with, and then act like she never did.  But yes, Lee should have dealt with it better!

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6

I think it’s clear that the Below Deck universe, Bravo TV, and probably all of us, need diversity training. There should be a PROCESS to deal with these and other employment/personnel issues.

I feel confident that sexual harassment has been rampant in the industry for years and if you told me cute, young, highly intoxicated stews were assaulted fairly regularly, I wouldn’t be surprised. What played in 1990 won’t play today and management needs to keep up.

• Love 11
23 hours ago, bencr said:

Rayna does not have to like Heather or accept her apology

No she doesn’t….but when she does accept it….TWICE….it’s completely disingenuous to then trot out her lingering trauma (if anyone believes she really cares that Heather repeated what she said) every single time she’s faced with her supervisors confronting her own poor attitude and behavior.  

Edited by Onecattoo
  • Love 11

While Rayna could be moody and petulant and her interactions with Heather in particular left much do be desired, I suspect we will find in the reunion that her co-workers do not share the belief that, on the whole, she had a poor attitude or exhibited poor behavior. I'll bet most will say they would be happy to work with her again. We'll see.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
48 minutes ago, bencr said:

While Rayna could be moody and petulant and her interactions with Heather in particular left much do be desired, I suspect we will find in the reunion that her co-workers do not share the belief that, on the whole, she had a poor attitude or exhibited poor behavior. I'll bet most will say they would be happy to work with her again. We'll see.

I would hate that if it were to happen. 

Do the crew members get their memories wiped pre reunion ala The Men in Black style?  We only saw a small portion of the day to day with Rayna, her running to anyone and everyone to complain about her job and Heather might have only been on camera maybe?  Either way, how small the boat would the boat feel with that kind of energy suck if I were on the crew, I'd be exhausted.

• Love 5

So much anger at Rayna on these boards. Rayna does not have to like Heather or accept her apology, even if we think she should.

She did accept her apology. Twice. Then continued to bitch about her. 

Of course Rayna doesn't have to like Heather. She doesn't have to like anyone. That's her prerogative. But she doesn't get to use that as an excuse every time her boss tells her she's not doing her job.

She also doesn't get to take snide little jabs at Heather and say "she likes to use the N word" based on what actually happened. And she doesn't get to attack Wes when he doesn't take her side and accuse him of not being black enough.

In short, she does not get to act like a petulant, spoiled child and she needs to grow up if she ever wants to hold down a job.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

...she needs to grow up if she ever wants to hold down a job.

Are you really suggesting that based on what we saw Rayna is unemployable?

That's quite harsh considering we also have Heather who made life so miserable for Jess that she  had to leave the boat for mental health reasons. And Jake who stripped naked in a public hotel and embarrassed the boat and probably committed a crime in the process. And Fraser who contributed to Jess's breakdown and who snarked on just about every crew mate and guest. And Captain Lee who so bungled the Rayna/Heather thing that it impacted the boat for the rest of the season.

While I don't especially like Rayna, I do wonder why she is singled out for such vitriol. I mean, just read the names she has been called on these boards.

BTW, I heard an interview with the Navy guy and his wife and they singled Rayna out as one of the best crew members. And, as I posted earlier, I suspect we'll find in the reunion that the crew liked Rayna.

Edited by bencr
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, bencr said:

While I don't especially like Rayna, I do wonder why she is singled out for such vitriol. I mean, just read the names she has been called on these boards.

I wondered this myself. Someone actually wrote that they wish she'd rot in hell. I'm having a hard time seeing & understanding so much hate for something so minor.

Is she immature? Yes. Did she mishandle the situation? Yes, and so did others. The people who were actually there on the boat like her and enjoyed working with her. That says a lot., IMHO.

Edited by snarts
  • Love 8
On 2/3/2022 at 7:58 AM, 65mickey said:

And one more thing. Heather is no Kate. She needs to mature a lot and lose her sense of self importance.  

This. The entire situation with Rayna was so drawn out and ridiculous because Heather could not accept that Rayna just didn't like her.

Rayna was immature for the utter BS of being kind and great to Heather's face, "Oh yes, of course I forgive you! No hard feelings!" crap and then literally walking away and talking shit about her, bringing up the situation again & again and then... accepting her apology again and doing the same crap behind her back. That is straight up middle school behavior. 

Had Heather accepted that Rayna didn't like her and didn't try over & over to be buddy-buddy, then Rayna wouldn't have continually disappointed her. It was a stupid cycle that could've been prevented had Heather possessed the maturity to recognize the situation as it was, acknowledge they were co-workers and not friends and move on... so much drama could've been avoided. 

Edited by Lunula
  • Love 1

Whew!  So glad I’m not the only one who feels so strongly against Rayna!  On another forum, I posted exactly what ya’ll said about her and I got banned for being a racist!   Rayna definitely used the race card to her advantage.  I don’t believe for one second the attack by 3 white guys was totally unprovoked.  Just watching her on BD I can totally see her giving attitude to the white guys who just weren’t going to put up with her $hit.   She is probably the worst human being ever, right up there with Lexi, they were both lazy.  I’m watching the episode now, the jet skis magically floated off and Eddie says to rayna “notice anything” and she just like “oh wow, how that happen”.  She must have been blind to not see it float away!  Just useless!!!

• Like 1