Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: A Place Called Heritage

• Start Topic

I've never created a topic before!  Woo hoo!

I'm probably older than most posters here on Primetimer, so I might have to explain my love of the night time soap. I was a big fan of Dynasty, Dallas and Knots Landing back in ancient times, so I was looking forward to watching Promised Land.  All of the elements are here:  a family business, a bitter ex-wife, a bitter gay son.  No, it's not Denver-Carrington, Alexis and Steven.  It's a whole new family.  I liked it enough to set up a series recording, it looks promising.

• Love 10

Am I 1 of 2 that watched?😅  I enjoyed it enough to keep watching at least for a few episodes.  Love John Ortiz and Christine Ochoa, so that's enough for now.  Pilots are always a little confusing setting up the characters but interested enough to hang in there.

• Love 7

I watched both of the episodes that were available to see how the story continues.

I think this was a pretty solid pilot even if much of it was predictable if you've watched any soap.  Even though they tried to hide that there wee different timelines with parallel similarities, I caught on pretty quickly that the people we were watching were older versions of present day characters. 

And that the priest was the long lost brother. 

But all of those lost siblings and secrets have potential. I'm looking forward to finding out which child isn't the child of who they think they are. 

• Love 2

I enjoyed the pilot!  A Latin version of Dynasty/Dallas in California’s wine country with a touch of “This Is Us” thrown in with the flashbacks!  I hope it is successful, in spite of perhaps too many twists thrown into the pilot.  Would like to have seen some of these major plot points unfold over a few episodes.  

• Love 4

Her family has money to afford the best lawyers money can buy. Why make things more complicated than they need to be?  Unless she didn't want him selling illegal paperwork to lead back to the family?  These type of subplots are annoying to me. 

On 1/27/2022 at 7:01 PM, Simba122504 said:

Her family has money to afford the best lawyers money can buy. Why make things more complicated than they need to be?  Unless she didn't want him selling illegal paperwork to lead back to the family?  These type of subplots are annoying to me. 

It's still a scandal, and she may have killed someone because of her arrogance. This was definitely not a plot hole. It reminds me of the rich girl who ran over a homeless man a few years ago, and let him die in her garage instead of getting him help.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
22 hours ago, BellaR said:

It's still a scandal, and she may have killed someone because of her arrogance. This was definitely not a plot hole. It reminds me of the rich girl who ran over a homeless man a few years ago, and let him die in her garage instead of getting him help.

But she threw her phone down there too!  lol   There is panic and then there is stupid panic.

I too was a Dallas/Knots Landing/Falcon Crest lover back in the day, although I never got into Dynasty.  I watched this and couldn't decide if I liked it.  I really didn't like most of the people.  But I decided I will try one more episode.  I have no real idea how the Catholic church works, but I was always pretty sure you couldn't have a complete family and then become a priest.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, bunnyface said:

I have no real idea how the Catholic church works, but I was always pretty sure you couldn't have a complete family and then become a priest.

They can if their spouse died.  But he's not a priest under his actual name/identity.  Heck, he might not have been married under his real name so who knows how legal any of their relationships are.

• Useful 1

I really don't like Joe especially after we found out that he gave his children percentage in the company, but not to Mateo whom is his stepson for the past 20 year, and as we found out at the end of the show, his nephew. Lettie seems to be the girl that he has always loved despite her falling/marrying his brother and him marrying/having 3 kids with Margaret. Yet, he treats Mateo differently that his own kids. That is crappy.

Edited by nilyank
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, bunnyface said:

But she threw her phone down there too!

I thought it belonged to the guy she hit - I think it looked like the screen was cracked and that she picked it up off the road. She used it to call 911 so they couldn't trace the call back to her phone.

• Love 2

We watched the first two episodes and enjoyed them. I never watched any of the old prime time soaps back in the day, so I can't compare this to them. It took me a while to figure out the flashback timeline really was a flashback - when they showed that clip with Reagan on TV, I commented "When is this set? I thought it was modern day..." only to discover shortly after what was really happening. I think we may need a white board to keep track of all the characters, who's related to whom, who's working with and against whom, and what's happening in the present day versus the flashbacks. That said, we're going to check out the next few and see how it goes.

• Love 3

1987 to Present:

Roberto - Billy - Father Ramos - brother to Carlos - Joe. Only son is Mateo

Carlos - Joe - brother to Roberto - Billy - Father Ramos. Married to Letty. Father to Veronica, Antonio, Carmen and Joe Jr. Uncle/stepdad to Mateo.

Juana - Letty - mom to Mateo (with Roberto/Billy/Father Ramos) and Joe Jr

Margaret - mom to the Veronica, Antonio and Carmen with (Carlos - Joe)

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I watched the first episode and really wanted to like it, but nope-not gonna be a fan anytime soon. Too much back-stabbing (including an actual stabbing). Seemed a little Jerry Springer-ish as well. I prefer shows to be a bit more evergreen—this ain’t it.

• Love 1