Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Zero To Sixty

scarynikki12
  • Start Topic

Hey, Adam Blake!  Slightly familiar with that name/character, so that was a fun appearance.  Hopefully he'll pop back up at some point.

No surprise that Naomi is having a few issues with trying to balance out being an alien, having superpowers, and trying to solve mysteries against the normal stuff like college applications and not getting in trouble with your parents.  It was definitely obvious this go around that Naomi is still just a teenager, with her making some silly mistakes and not being prepared for the consequences: especially her being so shocked that her parents would be upset with her and even punish her for sneaking around and almost blowing up a science lab.  She really thought that they were just going to get over it because she never gotten in trouble before.  Talk about a rude awakening!

Liked the bit where Naomi kept trying to get one of her friends to cover for her, but it just ended with everyone wanting to go with her instead.  Team Naomi are just so much fun and the actors all work well together.

Looks like some slight movement in the battle for Naomi's heart, as it felt like this episode pushed Lourdes more to front a bit and seemed to be testing the waters there.  Nathan and Anthony are going need to step it up!

Stephanie March now arrives in the form of Akira: someone who apparently is from the same planet as Zumbado, but doesn't seem to exactly like him either.  But it sounds like Zumbado believes that Naomi is the keep to saving them?  And it also involves a mysterious group of 29 as well?

Looks like Naomi's parents actually know about her being an alien after-all.  Not a huge shock, but I'm glad they aren't dragging this out and I'm curious to see how this will change the dynamics.

• Love 3

No wonder Naomi relates so much to Superman, her origin story really was very Superman style, with her mom and dad finding her in a crashed spaceship as a baby, Ma and Pa Kent style. I tend to get annoyed by parents who keep these huge life altering secrets from their kids for way longer then they should, but credit to Naomi's mom and dad, they told her the truth as soon as things started to get serious, only waiting until episode three. 

Adam Blake! I understood that reference! I am very curious about how much this will tie into DC mythology, Naomi the character is quite new and her comic was mostly self contained from what I have read, so I am interested in what parts of the comics they will use. 

Not too surprising that Naomi is struggling with finding out about being an alien while also being a teenager getting ready for college. I really liked the whole bit where she keeps asking her friends to cover for her on the college tour, but they all want to go on the adventure with her. I like her friend group a lot, I am glad that they are starting to develop them a bit more and I hope to see more of that. Looks like Lourdes has moved ahead a bit in the love rectangle ranking, the guys better up their game.

Stephanie March looks like she's going to be a fun new probable antagonist. 

• Love 3

The whole "rosetta stone" thing was completely nonsensical.  I mean, why would there really be such a thing in the first place? A plaque that just happens to have enough alien script and convenient English translation so that Naomi can cross-reference it with what she remembers from the disk on the fly. Lazy, lazy writing.

[Begin rant] Duuuuude, you may have Adam Blake's name but you're going to have to do better than that to convince me you are him, duuuude. This sort of thing is one of the things I like least about these comics to film/tv adaptations. They use the name of some comic character and affix it to some movie/tv character regardless of how divergent that character is from the original. Like Everett Ross in the MCU. Why did they even bother giving him that name? I guess they think that the Adam's having the same color scheme is close enough. [End rant] Oh, one more thing - that special ops team really sucks if they couldn't be bothered to cover all the exits.

• Love 2

I should just probably go with the story, as opposed to trying to figure out how it fits into the other DC Comics-based shows. Otherwise, I get a headache. Consider:

• Superman is a fictional character in this world
    • But we got the Hawk-guy claiming he met the Man of Steel
  • We see posters of DC Comics on the walls
    • But Naomi is supposed to be a huge comics fan. Wouldn't she have freaked the fuck out over Hawk-Guy's wings because Hawkman is a DC Comics character?
      • And would she have been a big enough nerd to free associate Adam Blake's name?

See? Headaches and bullet points.

On 1/26/2022 at 2:22 AM, thuganomics85 said:

Liked the bit where Naomi kept trying to get one of her friends to cover for her, but it just ended with everyone wanting to go with her instead.  Team Naomi are just so much fun and the actors all work well together.

Right? No one wanted to run interference because they wanted to see where Naomi's journey would take her. Or her journey was way more interesting than a college tour.

A bit of Fridge Logic when you consider that, first offense or not, all of them should have been grounded or at least given curfews from now on by their parents, but next episode they seem to have snapped back to status quo. And that the parents and teachers apparently were fine not getting a straight answer out of them as to why they did it. And the fact that Jacob packed "break-in clothes" makes it look pre-meditated, and their parents should be wondering if they're in a gang.

• Love 1