Type keyword(s) to search

S33:E05: Stairway to Hell

Whimsy
Message added by Whimsy,

Many posts have been removed due for both being off-topic and for posters snipping at each other.  This is not the place to discuss your differing opinions on what makes someone more “manly”- whatever that means. Further discussion will result in warnings. 

• Start Topic

28 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

For me, the only thing which works, other than waiting them out and trying to stretch the legs, is cold, preferably an ice pack.  I hate the damn things.

I've been told by my physician, that a sprinkle of salt on the tongue will quickly end a cramp. When I get one, I stagger off to find a salt-shaker. I'm never sure whether the cramp stops because of the salt or because it was about to stop naturally. 

• Useful 2
26 minutes ago, Netfoot said:

I've been told by my physician, that a sprinkle of salt on the tongue will quickly end a cramp. When I get one, I stagger off to find a salt-shaker. I'm never sure whether the cramp stops because of the salt or because it was about to stop naturally. 

Salt helps with cramping. It's why some long distance runners use salt and electrolyte tabs dissolved in some water. Not that you're keen to travel around with it, but the juice from a jar of pickles is also good for this. (I guess that is salty!)

• Useful 2
37 minutes ago, Netfoot said:

We have salt tablets in the bedroom because my husband cramps pretty frequently in the middle of the night. He sucks at hydrating during sports. I pass over one of those and he feels better pretty quickly. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

The teams all drove to the different locations, didn't they? I don't think they walked or ran to the pitstop. So why couldn't they leave their bags in the car trunk, unless the clue specifically said you couldn't. They had to go back to the car anyway.

They went on foot to the pit stop. On the way is when Dusty got the Charlie horse and the flight attendants ran past Akbar and Sheri.

These last two episodes have been fun. Most of the teams are truly enjoying the race. 

• Love 4
13 hours ago, SVNBob said:
On 1/27/2022 at 10:34 AM, morgor54 said:

I don’t know why they can’t all fly together to the next country then be released from the airport for the new leg of the race as usual (pre Covid) based upon order and arrival time at the last pit stop. 

...Some folks, myself included, are presuming that this is what will happen once they head to a new location via TAP.  We'll see when that finally happens.

I thought I read that that is what they're going to do.  Maybe I was dreaming.

With the advent of The Amazing Plane I wonder what is going to happen to The Amazing Yellow Line.  It made a brief appearance in the first episode, but we haven't seen it since the restart, since they've been self-driving.  I would love to see it used to track Arun and Natalie's route.  It must look like a pretzel. 

ETA:  And they're driving in a Western European country which probably has road signs equal to or superior than the US.  Can you imagine them driving in a less-developed country? 

Edited by Quilt Fairy
  • Love 3

On 1/26/2022 at 11:24 PM, aghst said:

The TAR can't be the first time he's being verbally unkind.

So either she sees some other redeeming qualities in him or she's willing to endure it.

As far as I see it, he's not verbally "unkind", he's verbally abusive.  Sheri is not enduring it, she's being subjected to it.

• Love 5
9 minutes ago, Leeds said:

As far as I see it, he's not verbally "unkind", he's verbally abusive.  Sheri is not enduring it, she's being subjected to it.

Then we should pull for that couple to win so she can take half and leave him.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, aghst said:

Then we should pull for that couple to win so she can take half and leave him.

She could show the video of Akbar's abusive behavior to the divorce judge, and she'd end up with all of it.  Besides, she's doing all the hard tasks.

• Love 5

Sheri seems to be fine with her relationship with Akbar and the other racers were all supportive of Akbar and Sheri. There was a Zoom meeting the Kim and Penn recorded and aired after this episode. All of them think that Akbar’s being an asshole is way over blown. The flight attendants, Arun and Natalia, Ryan and Dusty, Sheri and Akbar, and Lala and Lulu were all there, plus Penn and Kim. Make of that what you may. 

It could really be the edit. Akbar could very well be an over competitive asshole who is used to thinking that you motivate by scolding, mocking, and being a dick. It wouldn’t work for me and I wouldn’t want anything to do with Akbar but he is not disliked the other Racers.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
On 1/26/2022 at 7:55 PM, rebeccalj said:

My question about the bungee jumping was more as to whether the two of them really weighed that much different from each other.  He doesn’t look particularly overweight to me, but she is definitely overweight to obese.  

I looked up the physical restrictions for that particular jump:

Weight: Men 45 – 115kg, Women: 45 – 85kg.

Minors: written approval & copy of an identity document of legal guardian.
Over 60 years: mandatory medical certificate dated within the previous month stating non contraindication. Non contraindication for the bungy (see bellow list) and, in case of doubt, a medical certificate dated within the previous month stating non contraindication will be requested.

BUNGY CONTRAINDICATIONS (This list is indicative and not limiting)
CARDIOVASCULAR: coronary or heart disorder – previous heart surgery.
OSTEOARTICULAR & MUSCULAR: previous spinal surgery – disc herniation – cervicobrachial disorder – bone loss (osteoporosis, bone disease, …) – hyperlaxity – previous hip dislocation – meniscal disorder – hip, knee, leg prosthesis, – rupture or operation of a cruciate knee ligament < 9 months or with complication – fractured clavicle, hip, rib or upper or lower limbs < 9 months or < 12 months if operated on or with complication – sprained upper or lower limb < 3 months or with complication – rupture or injury to Achilles tendon < 12 months or with complication – muscle strain or tear < 3 months or with complication – previous skull or vertebrae fracture – whiplash < 4 months or with complication. NEUROLOGICAL: epilepsy – previous cerebral intervention – alcoholism – taking toxins, drugs or psychotropic medication before the jump.
EAR, NOSE & THROAT: balance disorders, central or peripheral (Ménière’s Disease…).
CHEST & RESPIRATORY: previous pneumothorax.
ABDOMINAL: abdominal hernias. OPHTHALMIC: surgery < 5 months – previous retinal detachment – myopia > 5 diopters.

So I guess it might've been weight, might've been something else as well, since they were athletes.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 1
27 minutes ago, ProfCrash said:

Sheri seems to be fine with her relationship with Akbar and the other racers were all supportive of Akbar and Sheri. There was a Zoom meeting the Kim and Penn recorded and aired after this episode. All of them think that Akbar’s being an asshole is way over blown. The flight attendants, Arun and Natalia, Ryan and Dusty, Sheri and Akbar, and Lala and Lulu were all there, plus Penn and Kim. Make of that what you may. 

It could really be the edit. Akbar could very well be an over competitive asshole who is used to thinking that you motivate by scolding, mocking, and being a dick. It wouldn’t work for me and I wouldn’t want anything to do with Akbar but he is not disliked the other Racers.

However, we may be actually seeing more of his behavior than the other contestants because they are...wait for it...racing whereas we are watching several interactions when other contestants are not around as they are doing their own tasks and Akbar and Sherri have often been behind other racers or isolated from them.  He may be very enjoyable when he is relaxed at the pit stops or on the plane. As many of us note when people complain about their edits "if you didn't say it or do it they wouldn't be able to show it." 

• Useful 2
  • Love 8
On 1/27/2022 at 4:47 PM, PaperTree said:

I've started bringing old clothes/underwear with me on vacation and just throw it away when it gets dirty.

What if you're in an accident and you have to go to the hospital??  Isn't that one of the reasons our mothers told us to always wear clean, untorn underwear? 😄

• LOL 9
  • Love 2

One of the mysteries of modern medical science is this: They can treat so many diseases, transplant organs, reconstruct disfigurements, graft burns... But they can't come up with a robe that doesn't leave your arse hanging out in the most mortifyingly embarrassing way? Obviously, the design of the gowns is deliberate.

Your underwear doesn't matter when you go to hospital. They're going to make you take them off anyway, to ensure the gown has a chance to completely dehumanize you.

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
On 1/26/2022 at 10:58 PM, Stardancer Supreme said:

One question I would like answered: For the Wine and Chestnuts Detour, did the racers have to keep their backpacks on? I would have thought that they could have left them at the bottom of the stairs. Hell, Dusty and Ryan were having a hard time and they are arguably in the best physical shape of all the racers!

Penn and Kim said in their podcast that they had to keep their backpacks and could not put the items in them either.

• Useful 4
  • Love 3
On 1/27/2022 at 4:47 PM, PaperTree said:

I've often wondered why those backpacks always seem so big.  How much stuff do you really need?  Is it possible to buy supplies/warmer clothes along the way? 

I've started bringing old clothes/underwear with me on vacation and just throw it away when it gets dirty.  Makes room to bring more stuff home😎.

Kim mentioned they would talk about what they had in their backpacks on their podcast.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 1/26/2022 at 10:39 PM, Stardancer Supreme said:

That would be nice, but there is nothing wrong with Arun and Natalia but the fact that they are horrible navigators. 

Maybe it's the editing, but I never see Natalia helping Arun navigate. Isn't that what the backseat passenger is supposed to do? I saw her with a compass in this episode but not actually reading from a map. Or maybe she does give directions, and he ignores them. 

14 hours ago, momlyd said:

I think he would have made a good living at it, too!

He seems to be a whoa or go kind of person and that would really take a toll on me. I'm glad Kim is his wrangler and their relationship works for them. 

They've said in the past that one of the reasons their relationship works is that she's an introvert, and he's a super-extrovert--and they respect each other's needs. I like the way they talk to each other and support each other during this Race. 

And Penn is a former news anchor, so being in front of a camera and "performing" is his thing. But I've also found him to be sincere and kind.

Edited by topanga
  • Love 10
On 1/27/2022 at 6:54 AM, Netfoot said:

They wouldn't let him do it because they were afraid he would get lost on the way down.

Someone up-thread said the only thing wrong with the team is their horrible navigation. True, perhaps. They seem like good people. But their navigation is so horrible, they should be put out of their misery. Or we should be put out of ours. 

I think I read somewhere that he uses the GPS on his phone to find his way back from the bathroom at night when the lights are off. And sometimes, he still gets lost until morning!

Did you mean Arun?

2 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

Did you mean Arun?

Yes, I did. I dunno how I got so confused, but that's who I thought we were talking about when I made that post.

A&N look like nice folks, but their navigation skills are about the worst I've ever seen on the race. An elimination would be a mercy, and put them out of their suffering.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, millennium said:

I wish we had been shown the conversation between Phil and the greeter.

Greeter:  Um, Phil, I've been standing here holding this dog for six hours.   I don't think they're gonna show.

Phil:  Can't you stay just a few minutes more?  I am sure they'll be along any time now.

Greeter: Phil, come on, it's Arun and Natalia we're talking about. 

Phil:  They could have had car trouble I suppose.  This is Switzerland -- maybe they're stuck in neutral.  Heh, heh.  See what I did there?

Greeter:  (frowns) I'm going home to make dinner.   And I'm keeping the dog.

Greeter: Phil, do you remember the last leg when they were on top of the mountain where they could see 6 countries?  Shall we bet on which of the other 5 they are in right now? 

• LOL 18
  • Love 3
19 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

ETA:  And they're driving in a Western European country which probably has road signs equal to or superior than the US.  Can you imagine them driving in a less-developed country?

It's not that either is better but they are very different, they tend to tell you where the road is going next & how many miles rather than the i5 is going north as an example. Even after 18 years I still have trouble knowing which direction I need to go as that's not what I grew up with, my wife thought it was funny until I took her to the UK & she saw how different the signs were.

Edited by Welshman in Ca
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

Greeter: Phil, do you remember the last leg when they were on top of the mountain where they could see 6 countries?  Shall we bet on which of the other 5 they are in right now? 

I was sure either Arun and Natalia or the Flight attendants were going to end up in Italy.

• LOL 2
6 hours ago, dgpolo said:

I was sure either Arun and Natalia or the Flight attendants were going to end up in Italy.

I do wonder how far production would let them go?! I mean if you are going to get lost what better place then Italy. I know Phil has eliminated teams while they were still on a task when all teams had checked in but I’ve never seen or heard if production had to tell them they really need to turn around. LOL!!!!!

• Love 2
26 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

know Phil has eliminated teams while they were still on a task when all teams had checked in but I’ve never seen or heard if production had to tell them they really need to turn around. LOL!!!!!

Except Production wouldn't tell them.  I remember a team back in S5 (IIRC) who took the wrong road on a leg in South America and ended up on the wrong side of a mountain range.  It was a memorable episode. 

• Love 3
On 1/28/2022 at 4:19 PM, hurrrz said:

So I guess it might've been weight, might've been something else as well, since they were athletes.

Yeah, I spot at least two things on that list that would disqualify me.

I had to fast forward through the jumping scenes. I don't have any fear of heights, but that stomach-drop feeling falling would end me. Made me nauseated just watching (and listening).

While I appreciate the guys' slow-and-steady approach to the stairs, doing the chestnuts in two trips instead of one was a bad idea! They hadn't seen the stairs yet, and might have done it differently if they'd known. The task was done in 3 trips by the others.

When Sherri said she'd just done two hard tasks and Akbar responded "Whatever"... 🤬

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Quilt Fairy said:

I remember a team back in S5 (IIRC) who took the wrong road on a leg in South America and ended up on the wrong side of a mountain range.  It was a memorable episode. 

I think that was 7 (Rob and Amber were in that season), in a different season there was also a team or two that drove across the whole of Greece in the wrong direction.

Edited by dgpolo
To make things clearer, I hope
  • Love 4
On 1/28/2022 at 6:50 PM, ProfCrash said:

2 hours ago, snarktini said:

When Sherri said she'd just done two hard tasks and Akbar responded "Whatever"... 🤬

Akbar did seem nicer on the Zoom call, but he can't blame editing on how he talks to his wife. Even if he is a competitive former Division I athlete (inside eye-roll here) who coaches. A good coach figures out what works. Yelling at your wife instead of encouraging her doesn't work. It doesn't make her move any faster.

Also, take a look at your own damn self. In the previous episode, he yelled at Sherri during the flag challenge even though when they first started, he couldn't even get his leg up high enough to sweep the flag under it. He never said (at least what we saw) that it was hard for him, too, and they needed to work together to get it done.

That's what I like about the other teams. They've figured out that you need to spread positive energy and helpful encouragement to succeed on these tasks. 

1 hour ago, dgpolo said:

I think that was 7 (Rob and Amber were in that season), in a different season there was also a team or two that drove across the whole of Greece in the wrong direction.

Arun and Natalia are probably saying, "Hold my beer." 

• LOL 4
  • Love 3

Thing about some athletes is that many believe in old school coaching, which includes coaches yelling at players, verbally and sometimes physically challenging the players, to "toughen them up."

Similar to the drill sergeant approach.

Alway being encouraging isn't necessarily the best motivational technique so it may be all that Akbar knows and he probably thinks TAR is a lot like an athletic performance.

There is certainly a physical component, in which more fit players perform better.  But it's just a part of TAR, not the whole thing.

The other problem, besides this type of coaching which makes him look bad, is that they may not be strategizing much, just reacting as they run the legs.

For instance, are they logging and memorizing the places they've been, various details in those places?

Are they analyzing where they performed poorly, looking for ways to mitigate those shortcomings or avoid them?

There's a good chance that what will eliminate them is not physical performance but mental mistakes, including not figuring out problems presented by some of the detours and such.

• Love 4

All the speculation about whether teams should have chosen sausage-making over carrying wine bottles up a million flights of stairs makes me long for the Detour narration of old. A detour is a choice between two tasks, each with its pros and cons....The racers AND the audience were clued in about whether a task would be scary but fast, or easy but slow, or physically draining but a chance for a strong team to get ahead, or whatever. Going just by the description we saw, I would have chosen the wine over the sausage because of the ick factor. But I also never would have been on the race because I'm not one of those vegetarians who can look the other way and chow down on sheep brains for a chance to win a million dollars.

• Love 3

I would have gone sausage but been worried that it was going to be more time consuming then it seemed. The bartender race was just going to be physically brutal and the possibility of something breaking and extra trips would worried me. This one strikes me like people were close enough that switching would not have been that huge of a time penalty.

8 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

I would have gone sausage but been worried that it was going to be more time consuming then it seemed. The bartender race was just going to be physically brutal and the possibility of something breaking and extra trips would worried me. This one strikes me like people were close enough that switching would not have been that huge of a time penalty.

Agreed.  This would not have been a Cooper to Kilt scenario.

For the bartender task, I was surprised that only Akbar and Sheri took the wine bottles first. I don't know if it was an issue of teams grabbing the first time they found and going, but all things being equal, I definitely would have wanted to take the wine up first if I were doing that task. The way I see it, I'd be exhausted after the first trip (or two) no matter what, so I'd want to take the heavier and bulkier item while my legs were still fresh.

• Useful 2
  • Love 7
On 1/29/2022 at 8:55 PM, Quilt Fairy said:

Except Production wouldn't tell them.  I remember a team back in S5 (IIRC) who took the wrong road on a leg in South America and ended up on the wrong side of a mountain range.  It was a memorable episode. 

Yes, the all female team (at least one of which was fluent in Spanish).....and they got lost in Chile on their way to Argentina.  Driving along for hours supposedly headed over the Andes into Argentina..when we suddenly saw the Pacific Ocean on their left.  Mind boggling.

• Love 3

I guess if they get so lost they hit the border with a country for which they have no visa, production will have to say something. Or just let them wise up for themselves when border patrol throws their arses back out...

8 hours ago, Netfoot said:

I guess if they get so lost they hit the border with a country for which they have no visa, production will have to say something. Or just let them wise up for themselves when border patrol throws their arses back out...

Americans don't need visas to travel in the Schengen Area  for 90 days. So they could have driven into Italy without any issues.

The Schengen Area includes Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic,  Denmark, Estonia,  Finland,  France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Sweden, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, and Switzerland.

• Useful 1

Not a bad episode, tho felt slow paced - and I think this always happens when teams driving around get lost. It's tough to make that interesting television, unless the scenery is particularly great or the bickering becomes great snarky drama.  Arun and Natalia don't bicker, they just get frustrated, which frustrates me as a viewer. Great Switzerland scenery by the way. (And lucky Arun, automatic drives rather than the sticks.)

Has Akbar done anything of the challenges only 1 team member can do? Seems like Sheri has been doing everything and he's just been demotivating her constantly. I will happy dance when he leaves, tho not her.

I'm assuming they weren't allowed to use a box for the wine carrying? And as a guy with bad knees, those stairs would have killed me. I wouldn't mind the sausage challenge, I don't get squeamish and it didn't seem particularly hard. NOW if I had to kill the animal for the sausage, NO WAY could I do that. I feel awful even eating lobster when I think about how they are cooked.

I'm rooting for Cayla and Racquel, they have genuine good attitudes it seems like and aren't ringers in the smarts department (again, my opinion) so I like them even more, as I'm in that category myself. 

• Love 2

Whoever said this season is full of nice people who are terrible racers wasn't too far off. Ryan and Dusty are so far ahead of everyone else it's not that interesting. Barring a major mistake by the two of them is there anyone who can challenge them for the win???

As soon as they read the clue that had the word "Bartending" in it, I thought to myself - gonna involve carrying glasses of some kind. I wasn't too far off. I would have immediately picked the sausage.

• Love 2

Ryan & Dusty are so ahead of everyone without losing a breath. The only way any team could get past them if they are able to get to the board first and u-turn them. Unfortunately, Ryan & Dusty are too far ahead for any teams to do that. I could see them being first all the way but that doesn’t necessarily mean they would win. Usually, I’m bored with a team always coming in first but this time it doesn’t bug me as much. I guess the boys don’t annoy me. LOL!!! That said, I’d be curious to see if anyone could come in first in twice before them. At least, it would mix it up a bit. Time will tell.

1 hour ago, ByaNose said:

The only way any team could get past them if they are able to get to the board first and u-turn them. Unfortunately, Ryan & Dusty are too far ahead for any teams to do that.

Don't forget that at the next pitstop even if they are team #1, the second team will be completely caught up, and teams #3 &#4 will only be 15 minutes behind.

Ryan and Dusty have not had to do a non-physical challenge yet. Eventually, they will have to do something that requires attention to detail or finesse or a puzzle and we have yet to see them tackle anything like that. The closest they have come was the flag twirling and that turned out to be far more physical then choreography. 

• Love 3
On 1/31/2022 at 2:58 PM, Hera said:

I was surprised that only Akbar and Sheri took the wine bottles first. I don't know if it was an issue of teams grabbing the first time they found and going, but all things being equal, I definitely would have wanted to take the wine up first if I were doing that task

Interesting info from Kim and Penn's recap.  The chestnuts were right next to the stairs. The wine bottles they had to carry were about a 1/4 of a mile away.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 1/29/2022 at 10:15 AM, Welshman in Ca said:

It's not that either is better but they are very different, they tend to tell you where the road is going next & how many miles rather than the i5 is going north as an example. Even after 18 years I still have trouble knowing which direction I need to go as that's not what I grew up with, my wife thought it was funny until I took her to the UK & she saw how different the signs were.

The first motorway in the UK (the M1) has wonderful signs such as The North.

On 1/31/2022 at 7:34 PM, sinycalone said:

Yes, the all female team (at least one of which was fluent in Spanish).....and they got lost in Chile on their way to Argentina.  Driving along for hours supposedly headed over the Andes into Argentina..when we suddenly saw the Pacific Ocean on their left.  Mind boggling.

Which leads me to - if the sea is on the left, I'm driving north.  If it's on the right I'm driving south.  Sad but true.

Edited by Leeds
Grammar
  • Love 2

For Arun & Natalie, they (like me) are from the Detroit area.  Once you get outside of the larger metro area, there are PLENTY of places to practice navigation skills.  Just take a bus or a train to an unknown location, rent a car, and pick an unknow destination that you have to figure out how to navigate to on a map. I know with Covid, public transport was iffy, but Arun could have driven, Natalie could have kept her eyes averted (nap or read), and then when they get to the 'starting point' all navigation is up to Natalie.  With no time constraints at first, she has to figure out the starting point, then the route, and how to articulate that.  I know it's work but do it once a week for a few months and they'd be all set.  Even with a bad sense of direction (me!) I was able to navigate with a good map, even in foreign countries.

• Love 1
On 1/30/2022 at 4:29 PM, Sheikh Yerbouti said:

All the speculation about whether teams should have chosen sausage-making over carrying wine bottles up a million flights of stairs makes me long for the Detour narration of old. A detour is a choice between two tasks, each with its pros and cons....The racers AND the audience were clued in about whether a task would be scary but fast, or easy but slow, or physically draining but a chance for a strong team to get ahead, or whatever. Going just by the description we saw, I would have chosen the wine over the sausage because of the ick factor. But I also never would have been on the race because I'm not one of those vegetarians who can look the other way and chow down on sheep brains for a chance to win a million dollars.

I'm also not that kind of vegetarian. Besides being grossed out by the thought of making sausage, I would have worried that we'd have had to eat some of it, too. Now if it was a Roadblock? My husband would have done that happily (he's not a vegetarian).

But they also might have thought that the sausages would have to be perfect, so it could have taken them a long time to get it right. The other challenge, while physically draining, just sounded like a straightforward take these items from one place to another.

And I miss the old narration, too. Then there would be more of a sense of "uh-oh" if we saw a particular team pick what would seem to be the worst challenge option for them.

On 1/28/2022 at 7:19 PM, hurrrz said:

I’m curious as to why men can be heavier than women to bungee.

I was really surprised Akbar and Sheri took the stair task.  They cook, go make sausage.

that was a real nice memory the twins had of their grandmother.