Type keyword(s) to search

Suspicion - General Discussion

AnimeMania
  • Start Topic

011022_Apple_Debuts_Trailer_Thriller_Sus

suspicion-poster.jpg

Suspicion is an eight episode series appearing on Apple TV Plus with the first 2 episodes being released on Feb. 4 with a new episode released weekly on Fridays. This show is based on an 2015 Israeli TV Series “False Flag", that will soon be airing it's third season (March 2022).

suspicion-1x07-1.jpg       
Uma Thurman plays, Katherine Newman, a high-profile American CEO of a U.S Media Empire living in New York City. 
ZqGPmZsk9Wwkyu29ozaFU6-970-80.jpg.webp

When her 21-year-old son Leo Newman is taken and stuffed into a suitcase by a group of mysterious, masked kidnappers at a New York hotel. The kidnapping is captured on video and quickly goes viral. The FBI and the U.K.’s National Crime Agency focus on five seemingly ordinary British citizens staying at that hotel, the five go on the run trying to evade the authorities. They race against time to prove their innocence — but not everyone of them can be trusted to tell the truth. Is the kidnapping terrorist related, politically motivated, or simple extortion and what are the secrets that Katherine Newman is hiding? (I am not sure why this show keeps saying there are 4 suspects when there are clearly 5.)

(L-R)  Tom Rhys-Harries,  Kunal Nayyar,  Georgina Campbell,  Elizabeth Henstridge
suspicion-1x08-1.jpg

Kunal Nayyar plays Aadesh Chopra

Elizabeth Henstridge plays Tara McAllister

Tom Rhys-Harries plays Eddie Walker

Elyes Gabel plays Sean Tilson

suspicion-1x02-1.jpg

Georgina Campbell plays Nathalie Thompson, a bride arrested while walking down the aisle in her wedding gown

121521_Apple_Thriller_Suspicion_Premiere

Noah Emmerich plays Scott Anderson

Angel Coulby plays Vanessa Okoye

Ross McCall plays Owen Nielsson

Alex Heath plays Josh

Chelsea Edge plays Heather

Mark Lockhart plays Natalie’s Work Colleague

Princess Adenike plays Princess

Suspicion       Feb. 4      Apple TV Plus

Episodes 1-2    Titles and Descriptions

Spoiler

S01.E01: Persons of Interest

An international manhunt ignites when the son of U.S. media mogul Katherine Newman is violently kidnapped.

Suspicion_Photo_010101.jpg.photo_modal_s

S01.E02: Room for Doubt

Vanessa and Scott work together to interrogate the suspects. A mysterious figure leaves a path of destruction in his wake.

I watched the first two episodes. The dialogue is decent, the acting and cinematography are fine but the mystery plot is so boring and contrived. So these three Brits allegedly decide to kidnap a guy who studies at Oxford but go all the way to New York to do it because...? A hacker skilled enough to draw police attention who is nevertheless unemployed and without any money? I love Elizabeth Henstridge (she is the only reason I even heard of this show in the first place) but the scene where her character got all angry because the student from Manchester wasn't doing in school was really funny in a so bad, it's good way. It's not 1895 anymore, I am sure there are plenty of students from not so rich families even in Oxford's most prestigious colleges. I could just picture the writers screaming at me "See, she is fighting the class system!!1". Really subtle, guys. Not.

Then there was "You followed the bad guy into the men's room, clearly you're in cahoots with him" and "Maybe you didn't ask for a solicitor because you are really smart and trying to fool us into thinking you are dumb". Exactly how stupid are these investigators?

• Love 1

It seems quite contrived that just because three Brits were in the same hotel at the same time as a kidnapping that they would be the prime suspects. There would seem to be an infinite number of combinations of other randos in the hotel at the same time that are being ignored.

After they’re released, the police plan on tracking their every move through CCTV feeds yet they can’t even find the one guy who’s leaving death and destruction in his wake, and isn’t exactly being careful about covering his tracks.

Since Uma’s company essentially creates false scenarios, it should be quite obvious what’s going on with this show. 

I am losing interest fast and I might have missed something but I do wonder if we are supposed to think the police leaked the identities of the suspects for some arcane reason or they are just that inept that the entire internet knew literally the day after they were released? I had a good laugh at the cops' ability to get real time footage from surveillance cameras even in taxis, though. And yet they had to install cameras at Natalie's workplace? Because they magically knew she would go back there, I guess and thoroughly incriminate herself.

Also, Natalie isn't the sharpest tool in the drawer, is she? "I thought the crooks won't miss the money". Good one, Natalie.

Plot holes aside, we have seen next to nothing of Leo and his mother, and the central mystery is "somebody kidnapped the son of the CEO of a nebulously evil corporation". Why does everyone and their dog is obsessed with this case is totally unclear and why the viewers should care even more so. Apparently this show is a remake of an Israeli show where an Iranian minister was kidnapped - an act that might easily lead to war, so no wonder many people would care. In this show the kidnapping somehow went viral even before anyone who the kidnapped guy is which makes precious little sense. If the kidnappers are such skilled hackers they could have drawn public attention in a gazillion easier ways.

S01.E06: Be the Gray Man

1478x832.webp

The suspects prepare to flee, but each must decide which way to run. Vanessa shares a secret with Scott. Katherine does client damage control.

Original Airdate: March 4, 2022
Suspicion_Photo_010605.jpg.photo_modal_s
Suspicion_Photo_010604.jpg.photo_modal_s
Suspicion_Photo_010602.jpg.photo_modal_s

So Tara and poor little rich boy Leo, both white, decide to frame three persons of color for kidnapping? And pretty much get away with it while Natalie goes to jail and loses her sister and Aadesh is forced on the run? Lame.

• Love 4

So was Uma Thurman in on it, too? Sean was sending messages to Copeland’s phone to continue making her believe Copeland was dirty, but the Mother and Son’s closing scene confused me. She reverted to form? And Aadesh chose to let the world think he was a kidnapper so he could feel important? And they all did all of this because PR people lie? The irony of ttt, but the kidnapping and the cover-up were all based on lies to draw attention to their own cause when the lies and cover-up about the science paper started it all. Sean got One. Million. Dollars? Did he learn nothing from Austin Powers? Did Leo pay him from the foundation? 

What a let down. PR people lie to promote and protect their clients. Shocker.

• Love 3

Despite all the plot holes I enjoyed this show until the last episode.  The ending is just awful - the whole thing just didn't make any sense..  I think that Leo's mom realized he wasn't really kidnapped.  I didn't really get who was paying Sean.  The biggest liars were Leo and Tara.

• Love 5

Well this was a waste of twelve hours. Tara is willing to throw away her relationship with her daughter for a father she didn’t know existed until a few months ago? And couldn’t they have kidnapped Leo and gotten the same amount of publicity without framing innocent people? Or, if they wanted to show how powerful social media can be in perpetuating a lie, couldn’t Leo have done that by exposing what his mother did? Or would he miss the perks of being a rich white guy? And I still can’t figure out what Sean’s deal was. Was he working for Copeland, or Uma or Leo? It doesn’t appear that he was being used as a stooge because he ended up getting paid by somebody. And do Aadesh and Tara just plan to go home with no questions asked?