Type keyword(s) to search

Pizza

• Start Topic

POLL OPEN

77 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

We had Chef-Boy-R-Dee pizza when I was growing up. Every once in a while, I will pick up a box.

Today I was grocery shopping and browsing at the cheese case and saw some Provel. It was packaged in clear plastic deli containers and the label was hand-written, so I have no idea as to its origin. Sorry, but I wasn't tempted to buy any or inquire further about it. :)

• Love 2

It's been a sad, sad weekend in the LB household. We just learned that our favorite local pizza place/Italian restaurant has gone out of business. That totally sucks.

There are several other places nearby, but not nearly as good. We used to get takeout pizza, hot and cold sandwiches, dinners, soups, and an awesome cold antipasto salad. It's also a kind of family tradition here that whenever we pick up visiting family, (parents, siblings, nieces and nephews), from the airport after a long day traveling coast to coast that we order in from there on their first night here. Everyone has their favorites and we all enjoy having a low key dinner at home together, some of us in pajamas. I know my one brother-in-law is going to be so bummed when we tell him.

Delivery got my vote.  Usually thin crust and light on the cheese, with mushrooms and onions, and dh adds ham to that.  I like to have a good amount of sauce - really hate pizza that's too "dry", or where the sauce has been baked too dry.  I know most people think the cheese is the most important thing, but for me it's the sauce.  Oh, and there has to be some oregano on there for it to be real.

There is a Bertucci's nearby that makes a good Chicken Margherita pizza with mozzarella, carmelized onions, and fresh basil.

• Love 2

The Little Caesar's near me always appears to be busy when I go by.  The store is within walking distance of where my daughter works.  When they had their grand opening a couple years ago, she bought pizzas for her employees.  She said they were so nasty and greasy that they ended up throwing a lot of the pizza in the garbage.  Maybe they've improved since they opened  but I tend to believe the attraction is that they're cheap.  Pretzel crust and cheese sauce sounds particularly unappealing, at least from that kind of take-out place.

I picked delivery (hello I live in Chicago - best Pizza ever)  but I do like to make my own unique spins on it!  One of my favorites is a Greek Pizza with chicken and a Tzatziki yogurt sauce.  Much better calorie wise and nice to have something different every once in awhile. 

I was watching Gilmore Girls yesterday and I loved this Lorelai quote

LORELAI: Oh, no, no, no, Liza, pizza is not below me. Believe me, I love pizza. I eat tons of pizza. It's one of my four major food groups: candy, popcorn, and pizza – see? It's two of my food groups, that's how much I love pizza.

I also voted for all three because I pretty much enjoy all pizza(to varying degrees) with a few exceptions. Like Little Caeser's. 

Years ago, while living in Raleigh, NC, I went to a pizza place that originated in Brooklyn, NY.  I wanted a couple of slices and a kid (not one of the usual staff) behind the counter asked what kind and I said "regular".  He looked at me with a smirk on his face and said, "As opposed to irregular?"  Ever since, I've been a bit paranoid about saying "regular" whenever I order a pizza or a slice.  Several months ago I read an article about New Yorkers and their pizza and noticed that NY'ers refer to a plain (crust, sauce, cheese) pizza as "regular".  So that's where I got it.  I never want to say "cheese pizza" because I worry that they'll add extra cheese to it.  

A lot of the places we go to, you have to ask for mozzarella - pronounced mootz -- on your pie.  You'll get some grated parmesan without asking for it, but you need to ask for the mozzarella.  It's probably a regional thing - I live outside New Haven, CT where they take a lot of pride in their pies. 

I was in my local Walmart this weekend and saw Imo's-branded Provel cheese for sale in the deli. I couldn't help but think of this thread and laugh.

One of my favorites is a Greek Pizza with chicken and a Tzatziki yogurt sauce. Much better calorie wise and nice to have something different every once in awhile.

That sounds amazing! Would you mind sharing the "recipe"? Do you use regular crust? Vegetables?

I was in my local Walmart this weekend and saw Imo's-branded Provel cheese for sale in the deli. I couldn't help but think of this thread and laugh.

That sounds amazing! Would you mind sharing the "recipe"? Do you use regular crust? Vegetables?

Sure thing! I have the recipe on my Facebook page, I'll look up the link tonight.

• Love 1

Mmm...stretchy cheese...I love pizza, but forget the pepperoni and anchovies and that stuff. I'd rather have pineapple on my pizza. Yum! Always thin crust, and with stretchy cheese.

Because I struggle with weight, I always sop up the grease with paper towels first and while the result is still good pizza, it's not as good as it is with the grease.

Have you heard about the trick to get rid of some of the grease from store bought pizza?? (like Pizza Hut or Dominos, etc)

Hold the pizza box up in the air - straight out in front of you. Then just let go (don't throw it downward - simply let go). The box hits the ground and most of the grease (but not the toppings or cheese) will fly up straight into the cardboard of the pizza box cover. Instant degreaser.

• Love 1

Never heard that tip! My group of friends in high school were paper towel sopper uppers. I went along out of guilt, but always wished we didn't have to :)

Anytime a place has speciality pies, my eyes zero in on the ones with cheese, cheese, and more cheese. Like if it's called "6 cheese madness" or whatever, I'm all over it. I never seem to find a like minded companion...sigh. Pizza and social occasions would be easier if I only liked "supreme" types. Also prefer thin crust, double negative for most.

Edited by KnoxForPres
  • Love 2
6 cheese madness" or whatever, I'm all over it. I never seem to find a like minded companion...sigh.

I too hail from Clan Bring on the Cheese.  Our tartan is grated, of course.   Even when I did eat meat, I didn't want meat on a pizza.  I wanted cheese, cheese, a truckload more cheese, a smidgeon more and then a light dusting of cheese.  To this day I remain disappointed that stuffed crust pizza turned out to be fully disgusting and I wish someone in this town knew how to make a freaking cheese calzone (rant, rant, rant, rave, stomp) .  

Actually, since moving to St Louis I've essentially given up eating pizza because of the crimes committed against it here.  

• Love 3

Oh stillshimpy, there is a place here that has perfected the cheese calzone. It's so good that you don't even order extra cheese. It's stuffed to the gills with what I would call almost buttery tasting cheeses. I cannot imagine ruining it with vegetable or meat.

When reading recipe reviews if someone says "too cheesy", I'm like yep, I know what I'm making.

• Love 1

Anytime a place has speciality pies, my eyes zero in on the ones with cheese, cheese, and more cheese. Like if it's called "6 cheese madness" or whatever, I'm all over it. I never seem to find a like minded companion...sigh. Pizza and social occasions would be easier if I only liked "supreme" types. Also prefer thin crust, double negative for most.

I hear you...I just went out for pizza with a group from work and the boss ordered 5 pizzas, every single one a different kind of combination pizza. I ended up having to scrape off all the toppings and just eat the crust. Fortunately the crust was delicious!

• Love 1

I hear you...I just went out for pizza with a group from work and the boss ordered 5 pizzas, every single one a different kind of combination pizza. I ended up having to scrape off all the toppings and just eat the crust. Fortunately the crust was delicious!

Oh come on, boss! Not one with extra cheese! We suffer alone, my friend.

I dated a guy who I was enthralled with. I (embarrisnly) just went along with whatever he wanted. End result being jerk chicken, salmon, and bbq chicken. Separate events, not all on one. Damn it, lol!

End result being jerk chicken, salmon, and bbq chicken. Separate events, not all on one. Damn it, lol!

SALMON!   On PIZZA!?????????   WTF?   that's just wrong. Salmon and cheese don't go together.  Salmon and pizza are both delicious, but they need to be separate, never combined.  

Chicago here.   PIZZA is Lou Malnati's .   Or, if you're downtown, Pizzeria Due (or Uno, but not the chain, only the original)  But mostly Lou's.   There are a lot of people who stay in the area, because they  won't move very far away from a Lou Malnati's.  And for Chicagoans who have moved, you can get them frozen and sent in dry ice.  (the dry ice costs as much as the pizza).  

• Love 1

SALMON! On PIZZA!????????? WTF? that's just wrong. Salmon and cheese don't go together. Salmon and pizza are both delicious, but they need to be separate, never combined.

Chicago here. PIZZA is Lou Malnati's . Or, if you're downtown, Pizzeria Due (or Uno, but not the chain, only the original) But mostly Lou's. There are a lot of people who stay in the area, because they won't move very far away from a Lou Malnati's. And for Chicagoans who have moved, you can get them frozen and sent in dry ice. (the dry ice costs as much as the pizza).

Another Chicagoan here, but I HATE Lou Malnati's with a passion (which I know makes me an anomaly) - way too many tomatoes for my liking. If I'm getting deep dish, Giordanos is where it's at. And for pan pizza, I'm getting Pequods if I'm in the area - the crust is just to die for. Edited by Princess Sparkle

I like more "alternative"-y toppings and alternative grain crusts.  My favourite pizza place here in Toronto is Magic Oven, where I often get a 10" pizza on spelt crust with toppings like kale, feta, spinach, tofu or grilled salmon.  Once, I had about 16 toppings!

Every once in a while I get a mean jones for a slice of Orange Bowl pizza - yup, from the place in the malls in the 70s & 80s.

I got hit with that craving a lot in my 2 nd pregnancy. There were times I could only eat cheap frozen pizza - like the stuff that costs $1 at most.

I like a good well-made pizza, but around here I only have access to chains (Papa John's, Domino's, and Little Caesar's), frozen, deli or what shows up on non-Italian restaurant menus--so I usually have to make my own.  When I do, it's usually just a basic pepperoni, but I sometimes like to make a BBQ chicken pizza (just shredded chicken, caramelized onions, BBQ sauce and a cheese mixture made of mozzarella with a little bit of Colby mixed into it).  I usually just use a pizza crust mix, but I need to learn to make my own from scratch.

Also, tying this into Childhood Favorites--it's not fancy, but we grew up on Chef-Boy-R-Dee pizza and to this day I still love it.

We used to eat that when I was a kid. I recently remembered it and bought some so my 3-year-old could help me make pizza. Homemade dough would probably be better, but I'm not making it. We did add some actual mozzarella, though, not just the dried cheese in the mix. And we added lots of toppings: Italian sausage, pepperoni (which I can eat if there are vegetables to cut the grease), Canadian bacon (which we called ham because he won't eat bacon), sweet peppers, mushroom and onion. To make ot really like my childhood, I am going to have to find an FFA kid and buy some Blue & Gold Sausage.

I like pizza, but I can go months without having some.  I usually have to be in the mood or have a craving for pizza to eat it.  My favorite is margherita.  Also, I love crusts.  With low carb diets being popular people usually don't eat the crusts, but its my favorite part.

Delivery for me.

(edited)

All of this pizza talk made me remember how much I loved (don't laugh) school cafeteria pizza when I was in elementary school.  I don't know how they made it and it was probably really, really bad for us, but it was really tasty.  I think they made it deep-dish style in a huge pan and it had good flavor.  As a rule, I didn't like most pizza when I was a kid and always got spaghetti when we went out to the local Italian place when everyone else got pizza, but I loved this stuff.  If I could magically conjure a piece up today, I wonder if I would still like it.

Edited by BooksRule
  • Love 1
(edited)

That would be an interesting experiment.

Pretty much everyone brought their own lunch when I was in school (getting a new lunchbox with matching thermos was such a big deal every year as a kid [and, had I held onto them, some of them would have fetched a pretty penny as collectibles] ... we switched to bags once we got too cool for such things).  I don’t remember there even being a cafeteria in which one could get food in elementary school; we ate outside (unless it was raining, when we sometimes ate in the auditorium, but usually in our classrooms – it’s Los Angeles, so that didn’t often happen) and I don’t remember anyone going someplace to buy/receive food. 

We ate outside in junior and high school, too, but then I know we did have a cafeteria.  Friday was pizza day, and I love me some pizza, so initially I thought this could be a weekly treat for me.  Oh.my.god.  That was some nasty-ass pizza, even by my teenaged palate.  (It’s also quite revolting to think pizza and fries were considered a meal, but I remember you could get either a slice of pizza, or pizza plus fries.)  The crust was like cardboard, the sauce was awful, and the cheese was fine but there were no toppings and cheese wasn’t enough to counteract the crap it was sitting on top of.

I guess it's a good thing we didn't have good pizza, but that would have been great at the time!

Edited by Bastet

All of this pizza talk made me remember how much I loved (don't laugh) school cafeteria pizza when I was in elementary school.  I don't know how they made it and it was probably really, really bad for us, but it was really tasty.  I think they made it deep-dish style in a huge pan and it had good flavor.  As a rule, I didn't like most pizza when I was a kid and always got spaghetti when we went out to the local Italian place when everyone else got pizza, but I loved this stuff.  If I could magically conjure a piece up today, I wonder if I would still like it.

Books Rule, you just gave me a rush of good memories of school lunches when I was in grades 2-5. The pizza day was the best. I remember standing in line with my square lunch punch of card, then being in the food line with all of the "lunch ladies" on the other side of the counter with all of the fresh cooked foods. I also remember that the other parents could sponsor the "underfunded"kids with lunch cards if they could not afford them and the cafeteria tables and benches that folded out from the walls.

Starting in about 6th grade they started cooking in one central location and sending the food in foil trays/bins that were terrible. That's when I started taking a box lunch. I remember sharing (giving) most of my lunch to my best friend who was less fortunate than I was. She was fed and I was happy and we played jacks the rest of the lunch hour.

• Love 1

I seem to remember bringing my lunch (in a plaid lunch box) some days, but I would buy cafeteria food on days such as pizza day and spaghetti day.  (The cafeteria also had good cake--and it was just plain yellow sheet cake with various vanilla-type icings on top--but I think the draw was that the cake was always fresh and the frostings would be in different colors, yellow, pink, orange, etc.  That was probably 'cool' to a little kid. The pizza portions were big squares (or rectangles), not slices.  I do remember that the pizza in junior high and high school wasn't good--it was either frozen pizza or some type of cheap bare-bones pepperoni.  I think I either brought my lunch or went through the separate hamburger/fries line (which wasn't great, but it was better than the regular line).

I hope this qualifies to be in this thread, but how many have had dessert pizza lately?  The kind made with a baked sugar cookie crust, sliced fresh strawberries, peaches, berries, etc. and either drizzled with dark chocolate on top or maybe brushed with some type of glaze, usually melted apricot jam.

• Love 2

Maybe we need to start a school cafeteria thread. My high school had the best sugar cookies I have ever had. To this day I have never had any as melt in your mouth good. I used to eat one for lunch (they were pretty big, too) nearly every day. Hence I probably never even tried the pizza (topic). And sweets are honestly not even my thing for the most part.

• Love 2

masonlamps, I think a nostalgic cafeteria/lunch ladies thread would be fun

BooksRule, yes the pizza I remember was also big square slices.

Does anyone else remember the hot dogs with fresh baked doughy buns! YUM!

• Love 1

SALMON!   On PIZZA!?????????   WTF?   that's just wrong. Salmon and cheese don't go together.  Salmon and pizza are both delicious, but they need to be separate, never combined.  

Chicago here.   PIZZA is Lou Malnati's .   Or, if you're downtown, Pizzeria Due (or Uno, but not the chain, only the original)  But mostly Lou's.   There are a lot of people who stay in the area, because they  won't move very far away from a Lou Malnati's.  And for Chicagoans who have moved, you can get them frozen and sent in dry ice.  (the dry ice costs as much as the pizza).  

Smoked salmon and cream cheese work well for bagels and I've seen it on pizza before.  Also, who says pizza HAS to have cheese? 

Smoked salmon and cream cheese work well for bagels and I've seen it on pizza before.  Also, who says pizza HAS to have cheese? 

Depending on where you live, there can be hard and fast rules about what does and does not belong on pizza.   New York, New Jersey, New Haven, and Chicago* each serve the only real pizza, according to their residents.  I live in the land of the thin crust (around New Haven), where Chicago deep-dish pie is poo-pooed and ham and pineapple, BBQ, and "ranch"  do not belong on a pizza crust.  Technically, you can find a pineapple/ham pizza, for example, in my neck of the woods; but there are also a large number of places that will not only look at you funny if you try to special order one, they may ask you to leave and not return.  

Char on your crust is another pizza thing.  A good pizza around here has a semi-burnt crust; it's just a by-product of a thin crust spending a few minutes in a wicked hot oven (coal, wood, or gas, doesn't matter).  My husband got a new manager, who came from the Midwest, at work.  Occasionally the company buys lunch for the employees, and the new manager complained about the burnt pizza and how it was overdone, etc.  Now they order pizza from a place that uses a press to make the crusts (versus the usual hand-thrown crust), which are chewy -- and half the employees bring their lunches on the pizza days.  

People get funny about their pizza.  Call me a pizza snob, and I will agree with you; but I'm a product of where I was raised, and that place has a firm pizza ethos in place.  

Not all pizza must have cheese; a traditional clam pie doesn't have cheese, and at the place where I order most often, you ;have to ask for mozzarella (or mootz).  It doesn't cost extra, you just have to specify that you want it.  You can also order a poor man's pie, which is crust with tomato sauce and a sprinkle of garlic. Nothing else. 

*There may be other traditionalist pizza strongholds that I have missed; I just named the ones that came immediately to mind. 

On my tablet, I keep seeing a banner for Tony's Pizza telling me it Authentic Pizzeria taste. Uh-huh.

Went to dinner tonight at a place that served New York style pizza - assuming that means the very thin crust. Liked the flavors, but prefer a bit more dough for structural integrity. The actual crust parts were good though - just too thin IMO underneath the center parts.

Where's the breakfast pizza love?! When it's regular pizza, I prefer thin crust, light sauce, and light anchovies. Anchovies add such a nice salty, fishy zing. I love them. Fresh mushrooms are a must, canned are a big no no with me. No fruit, but, I'm not a big sweet eater. 

• Love 1

Where's the breakfast pizza love?! When it's regular pizza, I prefer thin crust, light sauce, and light anchovies. Anchovies add such a nice salty, fishy zing. I love them. Fresh mushrooms are a must, canned are a big no no with me. No fruit, but, I'm not a big sweet eater. 

No anchovies, please. (J. Geils Band.)

• Love 1

Where I live right now there's nobody that delivers to my neighborhood (for some reason they start getting edgy when you try to give directions based on landmarks like "the third dirt road past the creek" because there's no street signs and the GPS maps are all wrong), so I'm pretty much stuck with the other two options. Round Table's Italian Garlic pizza is good for when I don't feel like running the oven, otherwise I'll get one of the "we make, you bake" pizzas from Papa Murphy's.

Best pizza I ever had was from a place called Bogey's in South San Jose: pepperoni, mushrooms, and bell peppers. It was a ten mile drive to get there, and there were a couple of times where I was forced to pull over and eat a piece because I just couldn't wait. The ingredients were all perfect, and they had the knack of getting little scorched bits of cheese around the edges without overcooking the pizza itself. I hope it's still that good, because it's been a while. Mmmm...scorchy cheese...

You're so refined, pulling over to dive into the pizza instead of just reaching over to grab a slice while driving. 

I'm fortunate to have several great local pizza places, but if I ever had to resort to a chain, Round Table would probably be the one.

There are a couple of new store bought brands that are excellent, but I'm not sure if they are available nationally. For ultra thin crust that really has a pizzeria taste try Vito and Nick's. For something not quite as thin with boatloads of delicious toppings try Screamin' Sicilian. Sometimes you just need a good pizza in the freezer.

Pizza -- yummy stuff!  I voted for "delivery".  Homemade is undoubtedly better, but delivery is the no fuss, no muss option.  Frozen pizzas just don't do it for me, although the french bread pizzas aren't too bad.

I made pizza for dinner. Mark Bittman dough recipe, tomato sauce from a jar (sorry), spinach and goat cheese.  Yum. 

I believe only the spinach is on my low fodmap diet, but I don't care.