Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Athena

Cheese: Yay or Nay?

82 members have voted

1. 1. Cheese

• Yay
    • Nay

Reading this topic makes me realize that every single one of my guilty pleasure favorite meals has cheese in it:

Eggplant Parmesan

Spanakopita/Spinach Pie

Nachos/Spinach Quesadilla

Tuna Melt

Fondue

I've also had baby bell cheese with crackers 3 out of the last 4 days for lunch.  Cheap and tasty.

I guess I'm not that picky about cheese varieties, as long as it's the real thing.

I love cheese. Such a great food and good on almost anything. I like havarti, provolone and fresh mozzarella. just hate American cheese but that really isn't cheese.

Edited by blueray

My brother was such a fan of parmesan by itself he used to get a chunk of it in his Christmas stocking every year and would just eat it one big piece at a time. I got a bag of pistachios in mine.

When my daughter wears them with her Uggs, her socks smell a lot like they've been hung in front of a fire with a big chunk of Parmesan cheese in them. 

And I tend to agree with the idea that Cheese pairs best with something else. In my case, crusty bread would be a good place to start.

In my part of the world, a lunch favored by many is a hunk of bologna, a chunk of cheddar cheese, and a cola soft drink (Pepsi, sometimes Coke).

Edited by Miss Dee
  • Like 1

In my part of the world, a lunch favored by many is a hunk of bologna, a chunk of cheddar cheese, and a cola soft drink (Pepsi, sometimes Coke).

Add a hunk of crusty bread and I'm in.

Soooo, no one has mentioned gjetost, the Norwegian goat cheese. Its color is tan & it looks like a bar of laundry soap.  It has a creamy texture & tastes a little sweet.  I started eating it when I was a little kid since my Swedish grandmother always served it on Wasa crispbread. Several years ago I was in Norway (one of those fjord cruises)& we stopped at a goat farm. After touring the farm and saying howdy to the cute goats, we went into the farmhouse and had a lovely coffee hour complete with pastries and, of course, goat cheese.  I think I was the only one eating it (wasn't as good as the stuff we buy in American supermarkets IMO). 

I adore gruyere.  Also love parmigiano-reggiano.  I prefer gorgonzola to blue cheese.  I've never understood the popularity of brie--it's just ok to me, kinda boring. I avoid that swiss cheese with the tiny holes due to the odor and forget about Romano.  I can't stand to be in the same room as that stuff. Muenster on buttered toast is a nice treat.  My favorite grilled cheese sandwich is the one Brian Boitano makes with the home made red onion jam inside. He uses fontina but I prefer gruyere.

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Like 2

I really like gjetost. I haven't had it for ages. I had to end up buying it at Dean & Deluca because I can't find it anywhere else. Now, I'm hungry for it!

• Like 1

Soooo, no one has mentioned gjetost, the Norwegian goat cheese. Its color is tan & it looks like a bar of laundry soap.  It has a creamy texture & tastes a little sweet.  I started eating it when I was a little kid since my Swedish grandmother always served it on Wasa crispbread. Several years ago I was in Norway (one of those fjord cruises)& we stopped at a goat farm. After touring the farm and saying howdy to the cute goats, we went into the farmhouse and had a lovely coffee hour complete with pastries and, of course, goat cheese.  I think I was the only one eating it (wasn't as good as the stuff we buy in American supermarkets IMO).

Wow.  yeah, Love gjetost.   Long ago, on impulse I agreed to join some cheese club where they send you a box of cheeses each month.  I belonged for about 3 months - it's all I could afford.  Anyway - the gjetost was my favorite.  I've since bought it at the grocery store once or twice, it wasn't quite as good.  it has a nutty flavor, and it melts in your mouth, tastes a little bit like a nut butter, only 100 times better.  Yum - now I'm craving it. 

• Like 2

Hah!  Fellow gjetost fans.  @backformore: did the gjetost you bought in the grocery store come in silver wrapping?  That's a good brand. One of my uncles loved to tell the story of being in the Air Force, stationed in Europe during WWII when his mother (my Mormor) would send him a care package.  To keep his buddies from trying to eat all of his treats, he told them the gtetost was laundry soap.  Of course they thought he was really peculiar--but they never ever tried the gtetost.

• Like 1

I could write a love letter to cheese.  For my birthday party this year, every dish I made had cheese in it...along with a giant cheese board, and including the dessert!  Obsessed.

Brie (but double cream or better).  Aged gouda (have you guys tried this??  Incredible).  Cotija.  Chihuahua (best cheese, hands down, for quesadillas).  Cheese curds (I would say the kind that squeak when you eat them, and I prefer those, but not picky.  Also, they're amazing fried).  Love a good raclette.  Love haloumi.  I also eat the HELL out of some pimento cheese dip.    

Favorite cheeses right now:  Robiola, a soft, ripened cheese that has more personality than brie but is still fairly mild, not too stinky (I adore stinky, though).  Burrata, which I like to serve with my homemade apricot habanero jam, which also goes nicely with brie/soft cheeses.  Blacksticks blue cheese, although I only get this from England when my sister comes home for visits.  Fresh ricotta over crusty bread with good olive oil.  Dying.

I had a charcuterie at a great restaurant recently that served pickled grapes with the cheese and they were amazing with aged, sharp cheeses.  Highly recommend making a small batch, it takes 5 minutes and lasts for about 1-2 months in the fridge.

• Like 3

On 9/15/2016 at 7:17 PM, larapu2000 said:

I had a charcuterie at a great restaurant recently that served pickled grapes with the cheese and they were amazing with aged, sharp cheeses.  Highly recommend making a small batch, it takes 5 minutes and lasts for about 1-2 months in the fridge

Pickled Grapes, eh?  I can see how they would match perfectly with cheese. 

• Like 1

On September 19, 2016 at 8:29 AM, JTMacc99 said:

Pickled Grapes, eh?  I can see how they would match perfectly with cheese. 

Hmm, I'm intrigued. I'm eating a lot of cheese these days and could use new condiments. Thanks!

I have recently developed a fondness for French brie. Was ambivalent previously. I prefer it at room temperature.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, ennui said:

I have recently developed a fondness for French brie. Was ambivalent previously. I prefer it at room temperature.

Brie is supposed to be served at room temperature. I love brie too. I have a friend who can't tolerate cow's milk, but can goat, so if I know she'll be at a food event I get goat brie.

5 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Brie is supposed to be served at room temperature.

Or baked. Yum might have to do that this weekend.

• Like 3

I love cheese. Smoked Gouda is my favorite on a Turkey Sandwich. I also love taking Cheddar Cheese sticks in my school lunch.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Or baked. Yum might have to do that this weekend.

You can do brie in the microwave, if you like it warm and runny. (Then you don't have to wait for the weekend.)

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ennui said:

You can do brie in the microwave, if you like it warm and runny. (Then you don't have to wait for the weekend.)

I have to wait for the weekend because that is the first opportunity I will have a chance to go to the store. Plus, I prefer the oven because than the rind gets a little toasty brown.

• Like 3

Somewhere in my recent meanderings, I saw a schedule of sorts for brie ... depending on the flavor you like best, you would want to eat it 20 days prior, 10 days prior, or very near the 'sell by' date. The flavor develops fairly quickly.

I love cheesy muffins and cheese toasties, cheesy topped dishes, cooked cheese in general but I struggle with raw plain cheese from the fridge.

Not having tried cheese until I was about 8 years old I tend to like it super mild.

The kidlet goes through a wheel of brie a week which horrifies me! He likes the nasty crusty bit too which I find kinda pungent! 

• Like 1

I love the rind on brie.  Some other cheeses, like monte enebro, the rind is too moldy for me, but I love brie rind.

A co-worker used to eat the rind on gouda, until the rest of us told him it's wax.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Bastet said:

co-worker used to eat the rind on gouda, until the rest of us told him it's wax.

I hope someone warns him if he ever eats Babybel!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

I hope someone warns him if he ever eats Babybel!

Somehow, the red wax on Edam was obviously off limits to him, yet the brown wax on Gouda seemed like a good idea to eat.  So he should be safe (assuming the picture I have in my head of red wax is correct, but now I'm wondering if it's just a red wrapper - I'm not sure I've ever seen Babybel other than in the commercials).  

Dammit, now I really want some smoked Gouda, and I don't have any right now.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bastet said:

assuming the picture I have in my head of red wax is correct, but now I'm wondering if it's just a red wrapper - I'm not sure I've ever seen Babybel other than in the commercials).  

It's wax. They were a staple of my bagged lunches growing up. I didn't eat the wax but I would often make wax lips out of the casing.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bastet said:

Dammit, now I really want some smoked Gouda, and I don't have any right now

I recently bought some sliced smoked Gouda at Trader Joe's.  It has a sneaky way of steering my food consumption in ways that suggest "a slice of Gouda on here might be tasty".  I'm starting to believe it is capable of mind control.

• Like 4

I buy a pound of Brie after Thanksgiving every year when it goes on sale at my local market to enjoy over the December holidays. Love it on stone wheat crackers with homemade pear chutney.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Qoass said:

I buy a pound of Brie after Thanksgiving every year when it goes on sale at my local market to enjoy over the December holidays. Love it on stone wheat crackers with homemade pear chutney.

A pound of brie lasts two days max in my house.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Don't know if there's a name for that...but it's quite delicious.

Brie en croute.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

And now I'll add Brie en croute to my grocery list......

It's simple to make yourself, if you are so inclined. You can add bacon.  ;)

Brie is very rich, I find a little goes a long way. At the ennui house, it's served with water crackers.

I was once a fan of cheddar, and Cotswold in particular, but now I prefer a lighter cheese.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ennui said:

It's simple to make yourself, if you are so inclined. You can add bacon.  ;)

Oh, I will make it myself, I just need the Brie and a baguette. I've got puff pastry and a jar of sour cherry jam. Yum!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Quof said:

I make brie en croute with red pepper jelly. 

I just made some red pepper jelly, I will definitely be doing that.

I love Port Salut.  It may be a bit pedestrian but I love it.

Just finished some with water crackers and slices of a fresh nectarine.  Yum.

• Like 1

On 8/26/2017 at 8:14 AM, MargeGunderson said:

Oh, I will make it myself, I just need the Brie and a baguette. I've got puff pastry and a jar of sour cherry jam. Yum!

Brie and baguette...sweet, sweet brie and baguette... :)  I don't eat much bread, but I could probably live on that and that alone (okay, maybe not - I also need buffalo mozzarella, tomatoes and avocado on some sort of crusty/crunchy bread).

Tried a cheese from Trader Joe's. It's a cheddar with carmelized onions in it. It's a bit crumbly but tasty. I do recommend it. Especially on a charcuterie as it's a step above just plain cheddar. 

2 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Tried a cheese from Trader Joe's. It's a cheddar with carmelized onions in it. It's a bit crumbly but tasty. I do recommend it. Especially on a charcuterie as it's a step above just plain cheddar. 

I just had that at a friend's house last week (along with the Italian truffle cheese).  Delicious. 

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 1

I think I found a new favorite (other than my beloved manchego). Burrata. So amazing  when toy slice into that lively mozzarella  to the yummy cheesy, creaminess inside.  

• Like 1