Type keyword(s) to search

Season to Taste: Media for Julia

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

Julia was one of my heroes, and I mean that legitimately.  So I was onboard for this no matter what.

But boy, they aren't doing anything to make Sarah Lancashire look taller.  She's pictured about the same height as David Hyde Pierce, and in reality, Julia was about half a head taller than Paul was.

So, this show has 8 episodes with the last one dropping May 5? I don't subscribe to HBOMax but I see they have a free 7-day trial. I figure I can do the free trial and binge through the show. I have to say I'm disappointed it's so fictionalized. I'd rather see a true biopic.

WGBH is doing a free virtual event on Zoom this coming Tuesday, May 10 at 7:00 p.m.  EDT entitled "Under the Lid: Julia Child and the Real French Chef":

Cooking legend Julia Child introduced French cuisine to American cooks in 1963 with GBH’s groundbreaking television series, The French Chef. Now the subject of the HBO Max series, Julia, we will explore what's fact and what's fiction, and how The French Chef continues to influence how we eat today.

Russ Morash, former GBH producer, The French Chef

Alex Prud’homme, Julia Child's great-nephew and the co-author of her memoir, My Life in France. His latest book is Born Hungry: Julia Child Becomes “the French Chef”

Dawn Davis, Editor-in-Chief, Bon Appétit and Epicurious

Moderated by Tina Cassidy, GBH Chief Marketing Officer

This virtual event will begin at 7pm Eastern Time.

To register, click here.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
On 4/29/2022 at 3:29 PM, chessiegal said:

So, this show has 8 episodes with the last one dropping May 5? I don't subscribe to HBOMax but I see they have a free 7-day trial. I figure I can do the free trial and binge through the show. I have to say I'm disappointed it's so fictionalized. I'd rather see a true biopic.

There is a documentary out.

6 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:
On 4/29/2022 at 3:29 PM, chessiegal said:

There is a documentary out.

There is also another documentary about Julia coming out on CNN on May 30th at 8:00 p.m.

• Love 2

Did anyone watch the PBS webinar about Julia?  As I could have predicted, Russ Morash was not at all happy (more like angry) with the way the show depicted him and is calling it a lot of Hollywood garbage.  He says he was nothing but supportive of Julia and her show from the very beginning (and I know that to be true myself).  He says HBO never once contacted him about how to portray him either  Several things were pointed out in the webinar that were called "complete fiction", including Julia paying for the first season out of pocket.  Alex Prudhomme, Julia's grand nephew, pointed out a few of those things but said he understands that a scripted show needs drama.  Russ Morash said even if the show gets people interested in the real Julia it comes at too high a cost.  Well I really can't blame him.  He sounds like me!

• Love 2

The more I read about the "poetic license" taken for this show, the less I feel like watching it. Not sure it's worth signing up for a 7-day free trial to binge watch it, and then cancel.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Yeah No said:

According to the above and other sources, season 2 was supposed to premiere on November 16 - Does anyone know what happened?

The first 3 episodes were up on Max yesterday - I watched the first one so far.  I guess anyone can start episode threads but it looks like @Pallas started them all last season.

There are also the first 2 episodes of the companion podcast up so far.

13 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

The first 3 episodes were up on Max yesterday - I watched the first one so far.  I guess anyone can start episode threads but it looks like @Pallas started them all last season.

There are also the first 2 episodes of the companion podcast up so far.

OK, they must have put them up after I checked, which was at 10:00 a.m. on the 16th.  I just watched the first episode and it was great!

I'm sad it is cancelled, but I can't say I'm surprised.  It felt like the show had no real focus or direction this season.  It probably also didn't help that there was what, a year and a half, between the first and second seasons?  I'm sure that killed any momentum the show had coming off the first season.

• Like 1

The show had its issues for sure, but it was still better than most of the crap on TV these days.  Do they really think cancelling shows after only one or two seasons is good for them?  People get tired of getting drawn in only to soon be disappointed.

• Like 1

While I enjoyed it, I'm ok with this just being a "limited series".  I'm not sure where they would have gone at this point.  Seeing Julia get the show up and running was interesting because it was about the cooking show.  In the second season the show was established, and the plots had less to do with the running of the show itself.  (Except the syndication plot line.)  I think they wrapped it up well at the end of the second season and the last episode served well as a series finale. 

Now don't get me started on Our Flag Means Death... 😢

• Like 2