Type keyword(s) to search

S19.E12: The Model as Muse

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, Jodithgrace said:

Bones' big mistake was taking a model who is famous for the way she moves on camera and giving her a dress that kept her from moving. 

One thing that confused me. In the previews they kept showing Coco saying, "if this had been one of my (regular) shoots, they would have shut it down." (or words to that effect) But she never said that in the actual show, so I don't know who it was aimed at. I assume Bones, since she didn't like the way he directed the shoot. But why put something like that in the previews and then not show it?

Shantall's photo was amazing. The ladder was an inspired choice, unlike the stupid blue bin. 

I know....I was waiting and waiting to hear her say that to one of the designers, or at least in the judges discussion after the designers left the runway!!  I'm guessing it was Bones, as well.  

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Jordan Baker said:

I think Shantall is the best and most consistent of the remaining designers, and I'm rooting for her to win it all.

I'm a bit puzzled about why the other designers didn't offer to help her, even as they rushed to help (was it Chasity?) Only at the last minute did Coral ask Shantall if she needed help. I can't figure out whether the other designers dislike Shantall (she seems pretty inoffensive to me) or whether they view her as their main competitor and don't want to help her for that reason. I could certainly understand why she took it personally that she was the last to be selected to choose the prop and that she was virtually ignored by the other designers when time was running short.

Am I missing something?

It seems to me that each designer should be required to do all work on their design by themselves. It would be grossly unfair if someone were saved by other contestants while another designer who did not quite finish were sent home for an unfinished entry.

Edited by janiema
  • Love 17
On 1/21/2022 at 12:04 AM, Fellaway said:

Apparently, the only way to have a pic be editorial is to have swaths of material swirling on a breeze.

And the brief was to emphasize height in the photo. I can't believe the other designers left that ladder to Shantall.

Coral was smart to choose that yellow, which on its own is horrid but which was perfect for that drab setting.

Bones had a great idea (wide at the top and narrow at the bottom, like a tornado), but he didn't have enough time or the right fabric (denim) to pull it off. What if he had built in a structured smoky net swirl surrounding the top? The headpiece was terrible.

Kristina's would have fared better on a runway. That photo was mind-boggling awful. I liked her color choices.

Chasity's clever sound bites and quippy patter with Christian do not signify a notable designer. Her stuff is very routine.

I can't figure out whether the other designers dislike Shantall (she seems pretty inoffensive to me) or whether they view her as their main competitor and don't want to help her for that reason.

She is more determined and business-like than some of the others, and she's talented. They were purposely freezing her out.

I think she made the animated faces to her little boy because that's what many little kids like. It can be hard to interact with a little one on video calls.

The Coco Rocha obsession has been around for a long time. It's an example of one of the things I hate about the fashion world. Instead of appreciating something or someone in a dignified way, there's the screaming and genuflecting. It becomes group-think in the fashion community and often evolves into snooty elitism.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Love 12
5 hours ago, Whimsy said:

Well, I mean, even the most rudimentary designer would have a website where they would have photos for their clothes.  So, even if they had their next door neighbor's cousin's best friend take pictures in an alley with no lighting they would answer "yes" to that question. 

Yes, good point. I was making assumptions. I know that I would be lost indirecting a photo shoot and thought they each had some knowledge. A family member is a photo producer and I know she sees photos in terms of composition and  backgrounds that I do not. It seems like Christina lacked this skill too.

Edited by gibasi
Typos
  • Useful 1

I hated Chastity’s, it looked like a dress for a school play. She should have gone home. And as long as Bones was in the bottom, how come no one mentioned that his dress made Coco look like a muppet?

oh, and I think Coco is very striking.

• Love 9

Oh, I did like the do-rag on Christian...rainbows for the win!

I hated Coral's yellow, but, I agree, it really worked in that grungy warehouse. It was interesting that Coco said it was her least favorite dress (or one of her least favorites?), but that it was her favorite photo.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

As for the props, I think all the designers heard "editorial" and instantly thought "edgy"--particularly with the grungy industrial space they were shooting in.  So of course pallets and debris bins (cleanest industrial debris bin I've ever seen....) were picked first because the designers thought they'd be more provocative for the photo.  But they forgot that the photo had to look good, and not just be avant garde rough and tough and in your face confrontational.

You could see that in Shantal's face when she was amazed she still got to choose the ladder.  When Chasity chose the pallet first, and everyone else went "oooooh" I was sitting here going "WTF?"  But it actually was a stack of pallets, not just a single pallet, so that at least allowed a little verticality.  I thought maybe Christina had an idea in mind for the blue bin, but then she made a blue outfit for the blue bin, and didn't really make much use of it.  Even the legendary Coco Rocha couldn't make the bin work for her.  I was surprised they didn't try setting the bin upside down, or on its side with the wheels facing the camera, or at an angle and having Coco stand triumphantly on top, with a wide stance showing off the contrasting pants.  Now that would have been editorial!  Also, it appears that Christina must be a Seattle Seahawks fan, because that's what a high fashion fan would wear to a home game.

When Bones was going on about the poi balls, I was thinking ooooohhhhh....that could be cool.  But then they weren't flaming.  I thought maybe they could have LED lights that would make a nice spinning effect in the photo, but no.  Bones basically wrapped the poi balls so they were basically just weighted scarves.  That wasn't even a swing and a miss, that was an outright bad call.

So, yeah, the ladder and the fan were by far the best props. 

I like the idea of this challenge.  I think it shows a different side of the designer's creativity, and how they work with models.  I hope this challenge gets repeated in following seasons.

• Love 23
38 minutes ago, HurricaneVal said:

As for the props, I think all the designers heard "editorial" and instantly thought "edgy"--particularly with the grungy industrial space they were shooting in.  So of course pallets and debris bins (cleanest industrial debris bin I've ever seen....) were picked first because the designers thought they'd be more provocative for the photo.  But they forgot that the photo had to look good, and not just be avant garde rough and tough and in your face confrontational.

You could see that in Shantal's face when she was amazed she still got to choose the ladder.  When Chasity chose the pallet first, and everyone else went "oooooh" I was sitting here going "WTF?"  But it actually was a stack of pallets, not just a single pallet, so that at least allowed a little verticality.  I thought maybe Christina had an idea in mind for the blue bin, but then she made a blue outfit for the blue bin, and didn't really make much use of it.  Even the legendary Coco Rocha couldn't make the bin work for her.  I was surprised they didn't try setting the bin upside down, or on its side with the wheels facing the camera, or at an angle and having Coco stand triumphantly on top, with a wide stance showing off the contrasting pants.  Now that would have been editorial!  Also, it appears that Christina must be a Seattle Seahawks fan, because that's what a high fashion fan would wear to a home game.

When Bones was going on about the poi balls, I was thinking ooooohhhhh....that could be cool.  But then they weren't flaming.  I thought maybe they could have LED lights that would make a nice spinning effect in the photo, but no.  Bones basically wrapped the poi balls so they were basically just weighted scarves.  That wasn't even a swing and a miss, that was an outright bad call.

So, yeah, the ladder and the fan were by far the best props. 

I like the idea of this challenge.  I think it shows a different side of the designer's creativity, and how they work with models.  I hope this challenge gets repeated in following seasons.

I've never heard of them before, and when Bones said what they were called, I thought I heard him say "boy" balls, and I was like WTF???  (And, yes, my mind went where it probably shouldn't have.....)

So, then, I saw the video and thought - "Oh, those are flaming clik-claks (some may have called them "clackers") - the super dangerous, but oh so fun, toy we had in the 1970's.  

And, then, when he covered them with fabric, I couldn't figure out where they went!  

Unfortunately, they didn't translate the way Bones was hoping.

Edited by njbchlover
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 5
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, Jodithgrace said:

One thing that confused me. In the previews they kept showing Coco saying, "if this had been one of my (regular) shoots, they would have shut it down." (or words to that effect) But she never said that in the actual show, so I don't know who it was aimed at. I assume Bones, since she didn't like the way he directed the shoot. But why put something like that in the previews and then not show it?

I thought I may have walked out of the room at the wrong time, missing the segment that they showed in literally every preview where Coco said "they would have shut it down".  This makes no sense, however, if I'm not the only one who missed what she was talking about!  I also wonder if it had something to do with Bones' flaming poi balls.  When he first picked them as his prop I understood what he was talking about, then I totally forgot about them and don't remember seeing them in the photo shoot.  Maybe he wanted Coco to swing flaming balls! 

Coco - swoon!  She looks a little "different" than years ago and I would imagine she has had lots of "work" to keep the Coco look alive, but she can't keep that look frozen in time forever.  Even Coco cannot stop the hands of time. 

If the illusion of "height" was what they were going for, they should have posed Coco next to Christian.  In the beginning when they were presenting the challenge Coco looked like she was on stilts next to the dimunitive Christian. 

I just have not found myself invested in this season.  For most of the season I couldn't remember who was who and even now I couldn't put a name with a face of anyone left.  I really don't care at all who wins. 

Edited by suzeecat
  • LOL 3
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

A trash bin? I could maybe have seen the trash bin working if they weren't going for a vertical image. She could tilted it on it's side and had Coco emerging from it.

We were hoping she would pop out from the top, like Oscar the Grouch.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 14
12 hours ago, Andyourlittledog2 said:

Speaking of getting a grip, the designers once again squealed like little kids who hear the ice cream truck coming.  How old are these people?  Jeez.

I suspect that is director/producer driven.

I was a big fan of the fact that the playing field was level because everyone had the same model

I never even noticed Coco’s face. I was immediately drawn to the clothing, which is the point and function of modeling, for the most part.

• Love 17

Seems like every one of Coral’s designs are the same. They remind me of my late grandmother’s knit doilies.  

I read somewhere that models are considered nothing more than coat hangers, and Coco exemplifies exactly that.  I can’t see her as a face model because I don’t find her at all pretty.  But she has the coat hanger body.  

• Love 11
4 minutes ago, KLovestoShop said:

But she has the coat hanger body

agreed, but she also had ideas for the designers about what would work for the photo shoot. So she certainly had more agency than we've ever seen for the "usual" models. I admit that I've never heard of her, but I am in no way a Vogue/Elle reader.

• Love 9
4 hours ago, suzeecat said:

I would imagine she has had lots of "work" to keep the Coco look alive

Coco Rocha's a Jehovah's Witness.  I kinda imagine a Jehovah's Witness might avoid surgical work because of the possibility of blood transfusions.  But I don't know for sure, and maybe there are ways around that.

Why didn't they provide adequate lighting for the model?  None of the fabric textures stood out in the absence of that lighting—and Shantall's design, just as an example, only stands above the other when you see the textures she incorporated into it.  Bones essentially lost because they provided him with such terrible lighting that the color of his garment could not stand out.

Edited by Maximona
  • Useful 6
  • Love 2

Yes I was just thinking about the lighting. When Coco was wearing Christian’s dress it looked like bright lighting but the designers had dim lighting, only a few interesting props, the need for the model as well as the photographer and their assistant to have a say in each pose, no say in hair and makeup and the requirement for moving/flowing parts to the outfit. They all did great considering.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, MsMalin said:

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that feels this way.   I just don't see the big fuss over her. But maybe I don't know enough about the business.  I am basically a casual viewer and not a fashion or model expert.

I suspect her success is owed to an apparently infectious and insidious form of OCD that forces people to keep blurting the words "Coco Rocha" (or, as in Bones' case, "fucking Coca Rocha")

A little too close to cucaracha for my tastes.

• LOL 8
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, Jodithgrace said:

I was also waiting for that after the (many) commercial breaks and it never happened. I thought I zoned out and missed it. I thought she was going to mention how Bones took over directing the photo shoot because he was telling her to ‘back up’ and the photographer said ‘but now she’s out of the light’. Something like that, the photographer looked annoyed. 

• Love 4
22 hours ago, BusyOctober said:

That yellow lace dress Coral  looked like Big Bird’s skinny little sister was molting.

I'm going to be giggling at this description for a while.

8 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

I agree-- the challenge was interesting, particularly at this stage of the competition, and I hope they repeat it.

• Love 12
22 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I was likewise flummoxed by this remark. So the time to stop growing and achieving is when? Week 3? Nina baffles me. 

22 hours ago, Fellaway said:

Nina: Bones finally achieved sophistication, but too late! (Really, Nina? It's too late? In a design competition?)

Far be it from me to defend Nina, but when she told Bones it was too late I thought she meant this was not the time to be elegant & conservative with an editorial model; rather this was when he should have gone wild & crazy…

I’m also looking forward to seeing Karlie Kloss, I like her! 

• Love 7

Nina: Bones finally achieved sophistication, but too late! (Really, Nina? It's too late? In a design competition?)

You sounded stupid, Nina. And I think Nina’s saving the last elimination before the final three for Chastity. 

Coco looks like a praying mantis.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
23 hours ago, MuMuGuy said:

I’m glad that at least we won’t have to see Bones shirtless anymore. 

That's what I'm going to miss about him the most!

14 hours ago, gibasi said:

Has Christian told any of the other departing designers to call him anytime like he did with Bones?

And maybe Christian agrees with me.

I've been on the Shantall bandwagon since her straw dress and every episode since has cemented my ¡pasión! for her work. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
On 1/21/2022 at 4:58 AM, MuMuGuy said:

. I hope Chasity get booted next week because she started sniffing her own ass with her little “My price just went up” monologue

I also didn't like her comment when Christian said Chantell was using red, too, something like "well, this will be my FIRST red dress, can she say the same?"  Someone's very threatened by Chantell, and actually, rightly so.  But they all froze her out in the work room and that was pretty classless.

I really liked this challenge and Coco certainly knows how to work her body and make the clothes look great.  I agree with the winner, as not only was Chantell's dress great, but it looked great with the ladder prop. 

• Love 19
15 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

Seems like every one of Coral’s designs are the same. They remind me of my late grandmother’s knit doilies.  

Anyone else go through a tatting phase during middle school?  Lots of grubby half-finished doilies and coasters.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
On 1/21/2022 at 8:52 AM, dleighg said:

I was kind of surprised that the judges watched the photo shoot. They made such a big deal that "the judges won't see the garment in motion." So I thought they would just see the final photo. I guess it makes sense that they also saw how the designer worked with the photographer and COCO ROCHA; it just surprised me.

From what they said, I also assumed they'd be judging only the photo.  But now that I think about it, Christian specifically said there'd be no runway, so that's probably what was meant by not seeing the designs in motion.  But when watching the show, I was definitely surprised to see them there.  And agree that it does make sense.

On 1/21/2022 at 9:53 AM, rhygirl720 said:

Coca Rocha to me is a very typical editorial/runway model, tall thin and impossibly angular, if you saw her in person, I'm sure it's almost alien like, with that said she is superb. a chameleon. Watching her work those clothes was spectacular.

I'd never heard of her, and I guess I've never watched an editorial model in action on a photo shoot, because I was amazed at the skill and  knowledge she brought to it.  I'm sure most people think models just stand there, or do only what they're told to do.  I love watching somebody who knows what they're doing, pretty much no matter what it is.

23 hours ago, carrps said:

I hated Coral's yellow, but, I agree, it really worked in that grungy warehouse. It was interesting that Coco said it was her least favorite dress (or one of her least favorites?), but that it was her favorite photo.

That was the highlight of the episode for me, because it's an insight into that whole world.  And I agreed with her.

17 hours ago, Maximona said:

Bones essentially lost because they provided him with such terrible lighting that the color of his garment could not stand out.

But it was also a garment that didn't allow the model to do what she's paid big bucks to do to make the dress look good.  Or interesting.  Or whatever the purpose of these editorial shoots is.

On 1/21/2022 at 10:50 AM, Jordan Baker said:

I'm a bit puzzled about why the other designers didn't offer to help her, even as they rushed to help (was it Chasity?)

I still get these people kind of mixed up, but at the beginning of the show, when they were all sitting around on a couch, didn't Shantall say she was there to win?  That'll put you on everybody's shit list in a flash.

• Love 7
21 minutes ago, amass said:

I thought it was funny when they showed Chantal and Coral flushing their drinks right after Bones told them not to… 😂

Me, too, but I was wondering if Bones' "Oopsy. I put too much booze in the drinks" was fake, and he was trying to get them more tipsy than they wanted to be. Hungover on "runway" day?

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Heh, in the first clip she does look like a praying mantis. In the second one, she looks like John Cleese's Ministry of Silly Walks. Her dancing is o.k., though, and it's a cute gimmick.

• LOL 6
  • Love 1

I think Coco is a fabulous model & very pretty even if in a praying mantisish way!

I’m surprised no one thought to turn that blue dumpster upside down & have her stand on top of it, & also jump up off of it. Dang, she’s like a hovercraft in those dancing videos where she suddenly pops up way high & seems to float a while before oh so slowly touching down. Those legs though🥰

Interesting that she said she liked working with Chastity the most…

• Love 9

While I will never tire of admiring a talented professional model flex and twist and pose, this was a stupid challenge for Project Runway.

It's like book reviewers basing their recommendations on the cover art, the typeface, the author photo, the summary squib.  NOT the point.  NOT indicative of a writer's talent.  And this gimmicky photo shoot was not representative of any clothing designer's talent, either.

Surprise, the designers made poor choices for props, camera-friendly colors and textures and pissed off the professionals with their clumsy attempts at direction.  And they have the judges standing there with pursed lips while the designers fumble around? 

If they wanted to judge based on a photograph, then they should have been limited to judging the photographs, not the process (including the model's input on whether it was easy to move around in a particular garment.)

Lol.  This show makes me mad almost every week.  : )

Edited by candall
  • LOL 2
  • Love 12

Another classy exit this week.  Way to go (literally), Bones.

I've seen Coco Rocha on other TV shows, and I've always found her very likeable.  As for her having input, she has the experience to give meaningful advice to those rather new designers, so I didn't think having her as a judge was out of place.

• Love 19
On 1/21/2022 at 6:32 PM, Maximona said:

Coco Rocha's a Jehovah's Witness.  I kinda imagine a Jehovah's Witness might avoid surgical work because of the possibility of blood transfusions.  But I don't know for sure, and maybe there are ways around that.

Why didn't they provide adequate lighting for the model?  None of the fabric textures stood out in the absence of that lighting—and Shantall's design, just as an example, only stands above the other when you see the textures she incorporated into it.  Bones essentially lost because they provided him with such terrible lighting that the color of his garment could not stand out.

Lighting? How about a decent background?! Behind Coco was a window with the sun light streaming in towards the camera. Bad. 

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5

Super shallow of me, but I'm tired of Coral's "I'm so fragile" voice and bad eye makeup. I'm not that impressed by her color choice because she saw how well yellow worked in the warehouse because Christian's dress was white and yellow. She was smart enough to notice, so I'll give her that, and she did use it effectively.

I'm putting on my tinfoil hat now, but I'm feeling like Bones' dismissiveness of Coco's expertise might provide some insight into the Aaron-Bones conflict. With producer editing, who knows though. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 11

I'll give Coco Rocha credit for having an amazing model body (long, super lean and very angular)

No breasts or hips. Nothing like those pesky body parts on actual women that can get in the way.

Kristina should have gone. I think Bones ultimately has more creativity and potential growth.

• Love 9
On 1/21/2022 at 6:58 AM, MuMuGuy said:

<snip>
I’m glad that at least we won’t have to see Bones shirtless anymore. Who the hell does he think he is to repeatedly go shirtless in the workroom after Christian checked him? It’s unprofessional and classless to work shirtless outside of his own personal studio.

This!!  So much This!!  I found his hubris in this regard disgusting.

On 1/21/2022 at 7:32 AM, Jodithgrace said:

<snip>
<snip>

Christian hosts an aftershow with the eliminated designer that is accessible on the Bravo site.  The first few eliminated designers didn't get a sit down (I think Octavio was the first).  Anyway, on the after show they did show Coco saying it to Bones.  

They also talked a bit about the snippiness that Bones had towards Christian and how it mellowed over time, they quipped that they went from "fight to tight"  I don't know if I'd go that far but whatever.

They also touched on the freezing out of Shantal.  In fact, Bones was rather snarky about her and definitely threw some shade her way.  (I would choose much stronger words if I were not commenting on a public forum).  I will say that pretty much every designer has named Shantal as the winner so that's either a good sign or an omen and they've all put a hex on her with their almost unanimous prediction.  

On 1/21/2022 at 12:49 PM, HurricaneVal said:

<snip>
<snip>

Also on the aftershow, Christian shows his picks for best photo for each of the designers.  Before the reveal, they show a montage of various photos and in that montage there were a number of pics w/ the bin all sorts of ways, on its side, backwards, Coco sitting on, etc  So they did make more use of the bin than just having it placed next to her.

On 1/21/2022 at 1:25 PM, njbchlover said:

I've never heard of them before, and when Bones said what they were called, I thought I heard him say "boy" balls, and I was like WTF???  (And, yes, my mind went where it probably shouldn't have.....)
<snip>

OMG so freaking funny.  I hadn't heard of them before either but my mind was just confused it was not going to unexpected places.  I think I like your mind better ;) 

22 hours ago, heyjupiter said:

This was a great challenge. Bringing a professional like Coco into the actual challenge lends capital F fashion cred to the show vs guests like the housewives. It's also good to see the contestants on an even playing field. Same model with the same measurements and skills for everyone. 

I'm coming to defend Coco, as well. She's an amazing model and a delight in person. She's been in the industry for half her life and she has worked with the best. She knows what she's talking about. She's confident not arrogant. 

Fun fact - Coco was a competitive Irish dancer. Jean Paul Gaultier had her dance down his runway twice - 

Re: the bold, couldn't agree more.  The show is very lucky they have Christian as the mentor because I'm pretty sure they would not have gotten someone of the same caliber as Coco otherwise.  She and Christian are besties.  He has often indicated she is his muse and has her walk in almost all of his shows usually walking first and almost always walking last.  And it's rare that anyone else wears his most couture or concept looks on his runway.

In case anyone is interested, the after show (3 parts) can be viewed here...   Project Runway After Show

Edited by sharkerbaby
  • Love 10
10 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

No breasts or hips. Nothing like those pesky body parts on actual women that can get in the way.

Kristina should have gone. I think Bones ultimately has more creativity and potential growth.

She has breasts and hips  They are just small.  That doesn’t make her any less of an “actual” woman. It makes her perfect to showcase beautiful clothing. 

• Love 18
1 hour ago, Bluesky said:

She has breasts and hips  They are just small.  That doesn’t make her any less of an “actual” woman. It makes her perfect to showcase beautiful clothing. 

Well, to me, this implies that women with larger breasts and hips can't wear beautiful clothes. Or, at least, they make those beautiful clothes ugly in some way. 

• Love 5