Type keyword(s) to search

S19.E12: The Model as Muse

• Start Topic

I thought Chasity should have went home too; her dress looked dated and unattractive. I think they chose Bones because Coco said he gave her too much direction, but in the end he has to get the picture he wants. The designers had no way to know that the model wanted a lot of say in the shoot. If they would have left it up to her they would be accused of providing no direction. Also didn’t care for Christina’s dress but there weren’t a lot of interesting props left to choose from and if she picked flowers or a plant they would have said too expected.

• Love 17

I liked this episode. Coco Rocha is definitely a supermodel and she has three kids! I loved Shantall getting excited about her son saying Mama. Her dress deserved the win. I liked Corals design but not the color.

As much as I like Chasity and am hoping she wins I wasn’t crazy about her design, it did look very cartoony. Kristina should have gone home, Nina saved her, ‘but she was the only one who did pants’.  
 Bones’ design was nice, it didn’t need the flying scarfs, but I guess he needed those for the photo. The photographer seemed annoyed that Bones started directing Coco in the photo shoot. 
I think F3 will be Chasity, Shantall and Coral. 

• Love 17

I'll give Coco Rocha credit for having an amazing model body (long, super lean and very angular) and the ability to twist, turn and manipulate her body into some crazy positions, but I don't think she is pretty or attractive, at all.  

I guess she's one of those "unconventionally pretty" models, but for me, even that is a stretch.

I was actually quite shocked at her teeth and how they didn't look clean or white - they were dull and grey-ish looking.  

She looks great in long-shot photos, though, and can really make you focus on the clothes, so I guess she's good at her job!  

• Love 19
5 minutes ago, Straycat80 said:

Bones’ design was nice, it didn’t need the flying scarfs, but I guess he needed those for the photo. The photographer seemed annoyed that Bones started directing Coco in the photo shoot. 

I think F3 will be Chasity, Shantall and Coral. 

As soon as that photographer admonished Bones and wanted to give the model  the direction rather than have it come directly from Bones... I began to fear my favorite personality on this season would be going home:(

For a moment I thought He AND Chasity might get the axe with all that inconsistant talk.

• Love 10

I remember Coco from Gretchen's season, where she modeled a jumpsuit Gretchen designed for a billboard in Times Square.  Coco was amazing and it really made me appreciate what a good model can do.

I do think the right person when home because Bones missed the mark the most, although I liked his garment more than Coral's (hated that fabric).  Kristina's was just odd, but I guess that what Nina likes.

• Love 7

I had no idea who the model was.  Her long slim silhouette is striking and is definitely made for modeling.  Her face looks like a cartoon drawing of Cruella DeVille in her twenties.  So many sharp angles!  But…DAMN, Coco can rock a photo shoot.

I didn’t love any of the designs.  

That yellow lace dress Coral  looked like Big Bird’s skinny little sister was molting.

Christina’s just didn’t work as an outfit, although I liked the colors.

Chasity’s was awful IMO. A bad 80’s Dynasty-esque gown.

Bones should’ve left Coco’s doo rag in the workroom. Fugly AF

Shantal’s was OK.  I can see how she won, and she picked the right prop to help her case.

Coco’s dress for judging was giving me Moira Rose in “The Crows Have Eyes 3” vibes.

• LOL 16
  • Love 8

I really liked Chantell’s look and I thought the photograph was perfect. While I didn’t like Coral’s outfit at all (and I can’t stand the big clunky boots the designers seem to love to use), I have to agree with the judge: It looked great in the photo!

To me, Chasity‘s choice of photo made her dress look perfect for a flamenco dancer. Not for Maleficent. 

Edited by Boadicea
  • Love 17
19 minutes ago, Fellaway said:

Apparently, the only way to have a pic be editorial is to have swaths of material swirling on a breeze.

1 minute ago, Kitty Redstone said:

Bones is a class act and I'm sorry to see him go.  It's clear that Christian and the other contestants really liked him as well.  I wonder if he would've left that head wrap off, and dialed back on the directions to Coco, the photographer, the lighting person, etc., if things would've been different.

Yep, if Bones had of hung back (and why should he with photographer's assistant experience?),  AND had big wide swathes of fabric incorporated in his garment  to take up most of the frame being blown around... he'd have stayed IMO.

• Love 10

I grew to like Bones a lot over this season, but he was not the best designer left … and like Aaron, he goofed this challenge.

At least we know a woman will win this Bravo season: and unlike the past two years, I don’t see an obvious winner like Sebastian or Geoffrey 

Edited by AntManBee
Aaron: not Arron
  • Love 13

I'm in agreement with the top two designers this episode.  I think Shantall and Coral really put their all into their designs and the photos turned out stunning.  I was not impressed with the other designs, although Bones' dress was beautiful without the added head wrap.  I have liked Bones' personality and character from the beginning and it was hard to see him go.  Maybe Christian will continue wearing the durag in his honor as the season continues. 😉

• LOL 1
  • Love 11
3 hours ago, njbchlover said:

I'll give Coco Rocha credit for having an amazing model body (long, super lean and very angular) and the ability to twist, turn and manipulate her body into some crazy positions, but I don't think she is pretty or attractive, at all.  

I guess she's one of those "unconventionally pretty" models, but for me, even that is a stretch.

I was actually quite shocked at her teeth and how they didn't look clean or white - they were dull and grey-ish looking.  

She looks great in long-shot photos, though, and can really make you focus on the clothes, so I guess she's good at her job!  

She has perfect proportions, it was nice to see the clothes on a professional model, what a difference.  They all looked great.   I hope they lose the “curvy” models and get back to models like this Coco.  No more distracting boobs going in two different directions, no more distracting rolls on the back.  Just the clothes.  

• Love 17

I thought the Top 2 of Shantall and Coral were spot-on. Maybe Shantall WILL win it all!

As pure photographic images, they were very close. Coral's photo showed off the dress more, while Shantall's did not. Moreover, Coco's right arm was very awkward in Shantall's. OTOH, her left arm was beautifully aligned with her neck and the cape, and her leg muscles conveyed the struggle to succeed Shantall mentioned. Finally, the angle and red of the ladder was replicated on the other side by the dress and Coco's left leg. Overall a brilliant  photo. 

As I posted last week, "Bones will not win." Coco implied more than once that Bones over-directed, didn't "Stay in [his] lane." I thought his cape (I don't  know what else to call all those flying pieces of material the designers made) was a bit anemic for a "tornado" effect. Not to mention, why a tornado? 

Kristina picked an inferior photo, with its deliberately cutting off the container but also, probably inadvertently, cutting off the end of the cape. 

Chasity's edit took a huge downturn tonight, from "costume" to the wrong color for "evil." "Plotting" was a weak description of the theme and Coco's expression. 

F4 = Shantall, Chasity, Coral, and Kristina, maybe in that descending order. Is this all-female Finale a first? 

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Love 4

Christina or Chasity should’ve been eliminated because both of them made costumes. Christina’s was some clown outfit, whereas Chasity made some weird punk, goth ballerina outfit from the late-1980s. I hope Chasity get booted next week because she started sniffing her own ass with her little “My price just went up” monologue, as if she would instantly get clout for making an ugly outfit that Coco Rocha wore (and she was a bottom look anyway).

I’m glad that at least we won’t have to see Bones shirtless anymore. Who the hell does he think he is to repeatedly go shirtless in the workroom after Christian checked him? It’s unprofessional and classless to work shirtless outside of his own personal studio.

• Love 22

Won't lie, not gonna miss Bones.  Too full of himself, more interested it seemed in his wig collection and personal outfits than the task at hand, unprofessional with no shirt in the workroom (and trying on Christina's design barebacked), nothing truly memorable about his designs.

16 minutes ago, Jodithgrace said:

Shantall's photo was amazing. The ladder was an inspired choice, unlike the stupid blue bin. 

It was also the only photo with artistic composition.

It was gratifying to hear Nina say enough with Chasity's Disney princesses.

And Shantall appears to have a very large mouth -- literally.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 18

I liked the do-rag mainly because it covered the awful hairdo they gave Coco.  But it should have had a long, light tail which could have given the tornado effect he was going for if it was blowing up and swirling around.  His initial sketch had the top part of the dress not so snug but he didn't do that, the whole thing was tight and made movement hard.  And DENIM?  That doesn't flow at all.

• Love 9

What I found most interesting was the difference between designing for a runway and designing for a photo shoot. They asked each of the designers if they had designed for a photo shoot before and all answered yes (I think Bones said yes but then said he had been an assistant on shoots so maybe?). Anyway It tells me that they have all had some success in their careers. I just appreciated learning that it is not the actual garment, how it fits, how it moves but the photo, the background, how it fills the frame,etc.  

I thought Shantall’s deserved the win. But really it didn’t fit Coco very well. That one section shifted to the side so far I thought we would see her boob. It was stiff and looked scratchy and rough. On a runway it would have been obvious that it wasn’t that great a dress. But for the photo it was a win.

I am so over Coral and her damn macrame looks. 

I will miss Bones. I thought he was fun.

Edited by gibasi
Misplaced comma
  • Love 15
35 minutes ago, gibasi said:

What I found most interesting was the difference between designing for a runway and designing for a photo shoot. They asked each of the designers if they had designed for a photo shoot before and all answered yes (I think Bones said yes but then said he had been an assistant on shoots so maybe?). Anyway It tells me that they have all had some success in their careers. I just appreciated learning that it is not the actual garment, how it fits, how it moves but the photo, the background, how it fills the frame,etc.  

I thought Shantall’s deserved the win. But really it didn’t fit Coco very well. That one section shifted to the side so far I thought we would see her boob. It was stiff and looked scratchy and rough. On a runway it would have been obvious that it wasn’t that great a dress. But for the photo it was a win.

I am so over Coral and her damn macrame looks. 

I will miss Bones. I thought he was fun.

Well, I mean, even the most rudimentary designer would have a website where they would have photos for their clothes.  So, even if they had their next door neighbor's cousin's best friend take pictures in an alley with no lighting they would answer "yes" to that question. 

I also am glad Bones is gone.  Maybe the other designers did like him, but as a viewer I did not.  Like @millennium, I didn't appreciate his no-shirt in the workroom, etc.  And, maybe it was the editing, but to me Christian didn't seem to really enjoy the "banter" with Bones.

• Love 18

I liked Bones and it was nice to see how much the other contestants liked Bones. The dress itself was beautiful, but it wasn't right for a photoshoot, and he needed to ditch the headpiece. Still, I would have sent Christina home. Her photo was just as bad or worse, and the design itself was so ugly. I don't understand why Nina likes her so much.

Chasity missed the mark too. She really is inconsistent. 

Shantall for the win. Her dress was okay this week, but I like how she conducts herself. 

• Love 14
10 hours ago, backgroundnoise said:

I do think the right person when home because Bones missed the mark the most,

Much as I was disappointed, I agree. The color was all wrong for the setting, and the prop was almost as weird as the garbage bin. I couldn't even tell what they were there until I realized I was missing his prop. I thought she was just throwing scarves around. There was no movement, because he sewed the dress that way!

9 hours ago, Fellaway said:

Nina: Bones finally achieved sophistication, but too late! (Really, Nina? It's too late? In a design competition?)

That was a REALLY weird comment. 

7 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

I'm not sure Coral is quite as original an artist they all were making her out to be.  They walk into a photo shoot where the model is wearing a spectacular yellow fluffy dress

I had exactly the same thought.

6 hours ago, Andyourlittledog2 said:

Shantall got to pick her prop last and chose the ladder. I couldn't believe it wasn't picked first. You can do so much with a ladder.  Pallets? A rolling bin? (what are you going to do with a bin, put the model in it? It's nothing.) The fan makes things go horizontal, and the point was more vertical movement.  The ladder was perfect so I was agog that it kept being left out of the picks until Shantall chose it. I decided then that she would probably win.

So true.

I was kind of surprised that the judges watched the photo shoot. They made such a big deal that "the judges won't see the garment in motion." So I thought they would just see the final photo. I guess it makes sense that they also saw how the designer worked with the photographer and COCO ROCHA; it just surprised me.

And what I thought was just another humorous closed caption goof-- That they cc'd "muslin" as "mousseline" 

I just learned that mousseline is not just for dinner. It's a fabric. I forget which designer it was, but it was one of those with an accent, so I'm not certain she DIDN'T say muslin.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, jackjill89 said:

His stubbornness and ego have gotten in the way of him being really successful on this show. A little humility and the ability to take advice would serve him well. He's got a lot of creativity.

I think this was interesting. Way back in the first challenge he was very dismissive of Christian's advice/suggestions and was actively rude to him. He seemed to mellow a bit as the season went on and engage with Christian when he offered thoughts and recommendations. And then we got to this challenge and he once again completely ignored everything Christian, and Coco, and Christian again, were trying to tell him. 

As to the dress - I loved the shimmery blue but could not tell if the effect of the dress was all because of the fabric he chose? Basically it was a tight sheath dress and the fabric made it look interesting? I'm not even going to comment on the massive denim coat and head wrap? Those were the things that everyone was telling him to lose and he persisted.

As to the photo- I thought his was by far the worst as it made Coco look compacted/reduced. It certainly did not evoke tornado in any way, shape or form. It was way too leaden and weighted down (mostly by all the things Bones added to it). A tornado is movement and energy and wildness, none of which was in the photo. 

Chastity's was bad for other reasons, so I thought they were the correct bottom two. I think Bones definitely had a more original design, but if the challenge rested partially on the photo, then Chastity did edge him out as her photo was good.

Chantal - ladder
Coral - fan
Christina - blue bin
Bones - ? what was his prop
Chastity - pallet? 

Edited by Pop Tart
  • Love 4

I've never cared for Coco Rocha. She won the genetic lottery with her body, but she's kind of the ur-butterface. And her demeanor has always bugged.

I'd have aufed Chasity.

57 MINUTES AGO, WHIMSY SAID:

Well, I mean, even the most rudimentary designer would have a website where they would have photos for their clothes.  So, even if they had their next door neighbor's cousin's best friend take pictures in an alley with no lighting they would answer "yes" to that question. 

Right? Even I could answer 'yes' to that question.

Edited by carrps
  • Love 3
57 minutes ago, Whimsy said:

Ugh.

Messed up my editing.

Edited by carrps

I'll give Coco Rocha credit for having an amazing model body (long, super lean and very angular) and the ability to twist, turn and manipulate her body into some crazy positions, but I don't think she is pretty or attractive, at all.  

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that feels this way.   I just don't see the big fuss over her. But maybe I don't know enough about the business.  I am basically a casual viewer and not a fashion or model expert.

Edited by MsMalin
  • Love 6
7 hours ago, Andyourlittledog2 said:

I have watched all seasons of this show and there are outtakes of designers singing or humming  or whistling from past seasons.  Everytime I hear the designers this season do that I keep thinking that they are trying hard to be on some outtake of this season. It seems so put on and not fun like in past seasons. Just kind of shoved in their appropos of nothing. YMMV.

One of my favorite moments ever from Project Runway is when Santino impersonated Tim Gunn singing Closer by Nine Inch Nails 

• LOL 6
  • Love 6
20 minutes ago, Pop Tart said:

Bones - ? what was his prop

those "balls on a string" (I think he called them poi balls???). As far as I can tell, he encased them in long scarves and she waved them around

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

If Bones wanted a tornado effect, why didn't he tell Coco to spin? You've got fringe. You've got a model with the body and skills to make all sorts of weird shapes and commit to it. And no spin. What's the purpose of photographing a fringe dress if you're not going to make the fringe fly out?

Different length of fringe, but this is what a model can do to create a tornado look, and Heidi's not even trying.

453705444.jpg

Bones spent all of his time hopping around in his giant denim hoodie instead of perfecting a fringe dress that should have had gorgeous movement. No matter how bad Chasity's garment was, it didn't stack up to the pile of mistakes Bones was making.

was offended by the photograph Kristina chose. She had a top end model, a high end photographer, and she choses that photo? It was insulting and offensive to the professionals involved. 

The ladder was clearly the best choice with the fan number two. She could have angled the fan for more a more vertical look. A palette? A trash bin? I could maybe have seen the trash bin working if they weren't going for a vertical image. She could tilted it on it's side and had Coco emerging from it. Coco's got that weird body with long limbs, and Coco commits. She could have made that happen. But choosing fabric the same color of as the bin was a huge mistake.

Chasity is an immature designer. She needs a few years to develop. 

• Love 14

Coca Rocha to me is a very typical editorial/runway model, tall thin and impossibly angular, if you saw her in person, I'm sure it's almost alien like, with that said she is superb. a chameleon. Watching her work those clothes was spectacular. 

Bones made the mistake of limiting her. I also loved that coat he made and in a different color would have looked amazing. The head wrap. NO.

Hopefully he has learned to take some feedback, because feedback is a gift.

To me this is Shantall's competition to lose.

I have liked some of Kristina's designs, and I think she has a very unique and modern approach which is why I think Nina likes her. I would be interested to see her collection.

• Love 20

Chastity’s choice of fabric, red chiffon and black lace screamed cheap.  I’m also tired of Coral’s crying.  The judges now applauding Shantall’s designs and consistency- where was that when they auf’d her?  Or was that just a fake set up?

• Love 8
11 hours ago, Fellaway said:

Apparently, the only way to have a pic be editorial is to have swaths of material swirling on a breeze.

Yeah, it seems that way.  The more voluminous, with added scarves being thrown around by the designer, the better, apparently.  Doesn't matter what it looks like (Coral) but it better flap in the wind or you'll be out (Bones).  

If that was Christian's yellow & white design at the beginning of the show that was blowing around...I liked it.  Thought it was pretty.  

• Love 4

I wasn't surprised to see Bones go, his dress was nice but it really wasn't editorial (at least to me) his choice of props sucked, but I understood why he picked then as he was familiar and certified. I don't think Christian ever really got over  him being dismissive after the 1st episode. I originally liked Chastity, but now I find her a complainer and I was putt off by her comment about charging more or something. Coral seems to pick the same type of fabric over and over, but the color certainly did pop for the shoot. I am not sure what Christina was going for, I think if she left off the puffy sleeve jacket it would have been better and she picked the worst photo. Shantelle's look was ok, but she picked the  best prop for the shoot. I did tear up when her son said mama, but wtf was with all her facial movements on the call? 

• Love 2