Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E09: No Strings Attached

• Start Topic

On 1/27/2022 at 11:11 PM, Scarlett45 said:

Surrogacy isn’t cheap-assuming Nya and Andre can make an embryo, they might have to consider a gamete donor.
(for either one)  Again not cheap, and they are still renting, so while they probably live a nice life as childfree double income couple, those costs might be higher than they can spend.

Adoption is cheaper than surrogacy or buying eggs(sperm is cheap comparatively), but still a cost. And like @Ms Blue Jay said- some people only want to be parents if it’s relatively easy, but aren’t interested in exploring every single ave. 

It's quite possible adoption wouldn't cost them anything. There are tons of children in NYC who are available for fostering and adoption. Parents can receive adoption assistance. 

So I further agree with you that some people only want to parent if it's what they consider easy. Although this IVF that Nya has been going through is hardly easy. 

Nya sounded bitter when she spoke about how LTW's family probably has more than one nanny. But she's right. Her husband is looking at LTW's husband with the kids as if he, too, would have that if only Nya would get pregnant. 

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, mansonlamps said:

I believe the point was supposed to be white women have to do more, hence Seema's comment that said something like she was happy not to be white in this particular situation.  I'm sure checks are welcome from all people who can afford to write them. 

Nya, who's actually running this nonprofit seemed like she would be happy for any kind of help: painting, cash, taco truck, etc. But Miranda, the poster child for white guilt, brought Carrie's race into the conversation because she cares so much about appearances.  

• Love 10
On 1/28/2022 at 6:39 PM, Trillian said:

I’m so sorry. I absolutely didn’t mean to shame any woman who had/has a hard time with tampons or who just doesn’t like them. The over-the-top hysterics just got to me — and I think most of can at least agree, they were too much. Why Charlotte couldn’t just tell Lily to wait until after their dinner, and why she persisted as her challah roasted to a crisp, is beyond me.

SATC Charlotte would have raised her daughters with impeccable manners and Lily would have known she would have to wait until after her parent's guests had left.  AJLT Lily acted like an entitled twit and Charlotte like an indulgent idiot.

On 1/28/2022 at 6:35 PM, JeanJean said:

I think it's funny that Lily is so hyperreactive and over the top in the way she talks. It makes sense that that's what Charlotte has modeled for her. But Charlotte wasn't always so overly expressive in the old show, was she? Because it's exhausting, and I would think it would be exhausting to live with. 

It's as though we're watching three or four different shows in one which have all been written and directed by different people and none of them were connected with the original. Yeah, I know that's not the case, but the result seems that way.  I don't remember Charlotte being so ridiculous in SATC.  Her manners and inflection for everything is just too much.  Did the writer's forget who the characters were?  Did the actors forget as well?  Only Carrie and Steve seem  like they could actually be older version of the original character.

On 1/28/2022 at 7:03 PM, CeeBeeGee said:

The Steve/Carrie scene was lovely. Miranda doesn't deserve him.

I thought so too.  I also was left wishing the show was mainly about getting over a crushing loss at an older age.  If the focus would shift far away from Miranda and Che to be about Steve's and Carrie's journeys I would be happier.  Also, going back to what I said above, these are the only two actors show haven't forgotten how to act or who their characters were for many years in a series beloved my many. 

7 hours ago, Surrealist said:

Honestly, these writers are just SUCH dumbasses.  They remind me of all of the white people who ran around in the beginning of the black lives matter moment preaching *their* beliefs and *their* observations and *their* stories until the black community collectively said "sit down, shut up and just start listening because your observations and preaching about standing with us just proves that you still don't get it."  These writers are not witty and woke.  They are sanctimonious, simple-minded nitwits.

Well stated!

• Love 6
On 1/28/2022 at 6:35 PM, JeanJean said:

I so wanted Che to have someone else in her apartment.

All told, this episode and the last one were better. It's like the reboot is finding its legs. Too bad they ruined Miranda - I'm in the camp of she totally doesn't act like her, and it would have worked if Miranda had wrestled some with the changes she was inflicting on her family. She was much more concerned with Dr. Robert's (yum) feelings when she went back to Steve.

And as a few other posters mentioned, it would have been interesting if Lily used a diva cup. The times, they are a-changing.

I wanted Che to have someone else in their apartment, too! People commented in earlier episodes that Cynthia Nixon was telling part of her own story and I didn't believe it. But apparently, she's had some influence on the story and it seems that we won't see a more realistic outcome.

Re: Lily, I can see her having trouble with a diva cup, too. 

On 1/28/2022 at 7:02 PM, RealHousewife said:

Were you also on the smaller side for your age? I know some tiny girls who started menstruating very young, but I wondered if I started at 15 because I was slight. It's more common to start menstruating in your mid-teens than it is to have a baby around 50, but there have been more posts about Lilly being too old to get her first period than for Nya to try to have a baby. 

I know Lilly just wanted to begin tampons because of the party, but no she's absolutely not too old to get her first period. 

Is Nya supposed to be around 50? I haven't heard her age mentioned at all. I know the actor might be but I don't know how old the character is supposed to be. I feel like if she were 50ish, we would have heard her mention it (I'm 50, I don't want to do IVF anymore) so I guess I missed something.

I suspect we haven't seen as many posts about Nya trying to conceive at her age because we don't know her age.

Lily's not just starting to get her period (she's trying tampons for the first time) but it would still be perfectly normal for her to be starting at 15. I think the average age of menarche so people probably don't realize that 15 is still within the normal range because they're used it something different.

On 1/28/2022 at 7:56 PM, mikem said:

I thought the extremely lengthy screentime about a 15-year-old having trouble inserting a tampon to be a very strange choice.  I was happy to read online that Cathy Ang, the actress playing Lily, is 26 in real life, which makes it less icky.  She's a really good actress.  I really thought she was a teenager.  

I agree it was strange to have so much screen time for the tampon issue but I don't think it's icky for a teenager to play a part dealing with a menstrual cycle. 

23 hours ago, candle96 said:

My best friend got her period for the first time when were 12 (at summer camp!) and she put in a tampon as if she'd been doing it her whole life. I tried on and off for a couple of years, but never really got the hang of them. Finally a beach vacation the same week of my period forced me to figure it out when I was about 15. Then I had a friend in college at 18/19 who couldn't use them and were several of us went into the bathroom with her in the dorm to coach her along. Everyone's different!

The last two experiences you mentioned is more in line with what I'm accustomed to. Like you said, everyone is different!

13 hours ago, BrindaWalsh said:

The writers have it wrong about white women and their checkbook. The rich white woman is absolutely allowed to still write her check instead of rolling up her sleeves. You don't want her to go away. You don't want ANY donor to go away, unless it is Bill Cosby or Richard Sackler or somebody like that. You can't dictate how a person chooses to be charitable unless they want to give you a check for something that doesn't quite fit your priorities or mission, or there is some quid pro quo thing they are trying to push through.  You just can't prop the white donor on the pedastal anymore.  Instead you have to talk about the impact of that gift and focus on the community it helped.  Think pictures of the women and children in the shelter, and an article about how their lives are more stable now with maybe a small mention of the donor. As opposed to a story about the white woman and her checkbook and why it was important to her to write her check for this specific cause, along with a perfectly poised photo of her all glossy and impeccable, surrounded by the shelter children.  That is what doesn't work anymore.   But if Carrie wanted to write a check to the shelter and join Seema for a cigarette while Miranda, Charlotte, Steve, Nya and others painted?  That is perfectly acceptable.

Carrie should have stayed home and written a check. If I had a rich friend who would show up to paint wearing ridiculous heels and an oversized, expensive wedding band secured with a band-aid, I'd beg them for a check instead. But that was Miranda talking - the one who shows up for grad school quoting her anti-racist book and commenting on the professor's braids. She's the poster child for white guilt so it made perfect sense that she pushed her ideals onto Carrie. I know the show's writers are responsible for writing Miranda's dialogue but I didn't take it as the show making the statement; it was very on brand for Miranda. 

Edited by love2lovebadtv
  • Love 3
15 hours ago, JasonCC said:

It just occurred to me that Nixons's experience--which Miranda's mirrors--happened to her around age 38. CN is playing it (maybe?) as how she was then. 

Maybe that is the disconnect. She's channeling her late 30s self, engaging in first non-traditional sexual relationship...and they are writing Steve like 8-10 years older than the character.

You may be onto something. I've been wondering why CN claimed that Miranda is going through a mid-life crisis. 55 is a little late for that. I say this as a 52-y-o myself.

Edited by Jillybean
  • Love 5
18 hours ago, love2lovebadtv said:

Nya, who's actually running this nonprofit seemed like she would be happy for any kind of help: painting, cash, taco truck, etc. But Miranda, the poster child for white guilt, brought Carrie's race into the conversation because she cares so much about appearances.  

• Love 1

I help run a nonprofit, and our high-dollar donors do just as much important work as daily volunteers. If all you have to give is money, give generously. Most grassroots nonprofits operate at a loss. It's much more important to help them keep the lights on than to do your one (1) volunteer day (almost always on Thanksgiving when you feel lonely) messing up the actual work that real volunteers perform. This entire plot point just showed how out of touch these women (and the writers) are.

• Useful 2
  • Love 12

Was anybody else besides me surprised by Nya's reaction to Lisa and the insecurity that came of it?  

Nya was introduced to us as this revered and highly-respected Columbia University professor whose classes were legendary and provocative in high demand.  She is a published author and activist.  Professors like that at a university like Columbia usually also have 1) an ego (a well-earned ego, but an ego), 2) confidence in who they are, what they do, and what they specifically bring to a table and 3) a remarkable ability to socialize with a variety of different social circles.  I highly doubt that Nya would have been so intimidated by Lisa showing up in a limo to paint a women's shelter and calling in a couple of taco trucks.  If she hasn't met Lisa before, she's certainly been surrounded by 100s of other people just like her over the course of her career -- all of whom were probably tripping over themselves to make the acquaintance of Dr. Nya Wallace.  

• Useful 3
  • Love 6
On 1/28/2022 at 7:31 PM, Baltimore Betty said:

I was a late bloomer too!  

My daughter was 10, that was crazy.

Now that's interesting, because mothers and daughters tend to start and stop at roughly the same age--my mother started at 14 too. While that's obviously not carved in stone, I haven't usually seen such a discrepancy.

I don't have HBO Max, so I only know what's going on from reading recaps and surfing the internet, but the number of people giddily anticipating Miranda getting dumped by Che is stunning. Not to mention those who genuinely think Che is a jerk who's playing her.

Edited by Dr.OO7
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, BrindaWalsh said:

Was anybody else besides me surprised by Nya's reaction to Lisa and the insecurity that came of it?  

Nya was introduced to us as this revered and highly-respected Columbia University professor whose classes were legendary and provocative in high demand.  She is a published author and activist.  Professors like that at a university like Columbia usually also have 1) an ego (a well-earned ego, but an ego), 2) confidence in who they are, what they do, and what they specifically bring to a table and 3) a remarkable ability to socialize with a variety of different social circles.  I highly doubt that Nya would have been so intimidated by Lisa showing up in a limo to paint a women's shelter and calling in a couple of taco trucks.  If she hasn't met Lisa before, she's certainly been surrounded by 100s of other people just like her over the course of her career -- all of whom were probably tripping over themselves to make the acquaintance of Dr. Nya Wallace.  

I see your point, but I also think that it’s possible for even the most successful person to have an Achilles heel of vulnerability. If she’s already feeling sensitive—and perhaps stressed— I can see her reacting in a way she might not in other circumstances. Like, “it takes me forever to put an event like this together, and I can’t even get the food right, but this woman (metaphorically) snaps her fingers and everything materializes.” I find that plausible. 

• Love 9
10 hours ago, ivygirl said:

I see your point, but I also think that it’s possible for even the most successful person to have an Achilles heel of vulnerability. If she’s already feeling sensitive—and perhaps stressed— I can see her reacting in a way she might not in other circumstances. Like, “it takes me forever to put an event like this together, and I can’t even get the food right, but this woman (metaphorically) snaps her fingers and everything materializes.” I find that plausible. 

Yeah I agree with you. Also, the pain point of Nya's life right now is all around procreation. And this beautiful women shows up with her gorgeous children and husband, and HER husband comments about how much he wants kids- yeah I could see her feeling insecure. Not that she begrudges LTW her life (she barely knows her) but its more like "by golly I don't need to be reminded of this right now."

• Love 4

Maybe, I just found it a bit...odd.  There were other ways to show interaction between the two without it being the "insecurity" factor -- I thought it actually came out quite nicely when her husband observed "The Cleavers" painting the room and fit into their already existing narrative.  This other element just felt forced.  But JMHO.

• Love 1

I don’t have a problem with Miranda’s “You can’t be the white lady who just writes a cheque” comment.

I think it refers to more of an old school type, those shallow Ladies Who Lunch, Real Housewives types whose entire lives revolve around frippery and vanity but then write big cheques (with their husband’s money) and get credit for being such great supporters of the Cause. They attend the ribbon cutting at the shelter as a “proud supporter who worked so hard to make this happen” when literally all they did was write a cheque (again, likely not of any money they earned), taking credit and getting their picture in the paper. In other words, taking the credit away from those who actually did do the work of actually making the shelter happen - planning it, fundraising, getting the materials, organizing workers, dealing with the finances, etc.

Thankfully, these types are becoming less and less, mainly because social media is everywhere and it’s more obvious to see who the real workers are. And more women are working to earn their own cheques to write. Yes, cheques are still needed, but so are hands-on workers. Both should get credit, but let’s be honest - it’s way easier to write a cheque than to actually do the work.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

Because of AJLT, I've been recently binge-watching SATC to remember some things. I'm currently on the Belles of the Balls, Coulda Woulda Shoulda and Just Say Yes stretch, and I cannot say it enough how much I miss old Miranda. A perfect combination of sarcastic, cynicism, caring and loving ("I yelled at my friend Steve, who's a cancer patient.") Someone who at least tried to be aware of other people's feelings even if she's struggling on her own - Miranda fighting to not tell Charlotte about the baby and abortion, while Charlotte was in a depression funk because she was having trouble getting pregnant. Whatever happened to THAT Miranda?

I don't know who was that character in that stairwell scene. Miranda doesn't talk like that, it drove me crazy!!! Not even Charlotte or Carrie in their worst days would act like that. And then towards the end, she wants to be a little "unavailable" because she's been too available lately?! It's like teen Charlotte on triple dose of hormones. 

P.S. And I still miss Samantha. Helping Aiden with the engagement ring, gosh. No one among the new friends would step up to that challenge. 

Edited by slowpoked
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, Shermie said:

I don’t have a problem with Miranda’s “You can’t be the white lady who just writes a cheque” comment.

I think it refers to more of an old school type, those shallow Ladies Who Lunch, Real Housewives types whose entire lives revolve around frippery and vanity but then write big cheques (with their husband’s money) and get credit for being such great supporters of the Cause. They attend the ribbon cutting at the shelter as a “proud supporter who worked so hard to make this happen” when literally all they did was write a cheque (again, likely not of any money they earned), taking credit and getting their picture in the paper. In other words, taking the credit away from those who actually did do the work of actually making the shelter happen - planning it, fundraising, getting the materials, organizing workers, dealing with the finances, etc.

Thankfully, these types are becoming less and less, mainly because social media is everywhere and it’s more obvious to see who the real workers are. And more women are working to earn their own cheques to write. Yes, cheques are still needed, but so are hands-on workers. Both should get credit, but let’s be honest - it’s way easier to write a cheque than to actually do the work.

That's an interesting perspective. I completely get what you mean.

In general though, I hesitate to judge the way anyone gives back. I think it's messed up when people who don't have a lot of money but work their butts off don't get credit. But I also appreciate those who can give back by simply writing a check. At the end of the day, a lot people do not want to part with their money. I kind of feel the same about whether or not to publicize giving back. I see the argument against doing it. There's something classy about just giving back and doing it quietly. But sometimes sharing what you're doing does help spread the message and inspires others to help out in whatever way they can. But sometimes people assume celebs who don't tweet about their every kind act aren't philanthropic. Kim Kardashian used to get a lot of criticism for being all about herself and not giving back. I remember her mother said she did give back and did it quietly. Then we all see her trying to do all this good, and some people still give her shit. For me, if you volunteer your time, that is precious and I appreciate you. If you donate money, that is wonderful too. Another thing that I personally find icky is when smaller donations are looked down upon. A lot of us can't be the lady who writes a big, fat check, but we like to give back. I like to donate each time I get a new job, promotion, raise, am gifted a lot of money, things like that. Is it going to be Carrie Bradshaw money? No, but I like to think every bit helps. I look for charities where they actually say what the amount of money you give can do for someone. 

5 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Yeah I agree with you. Also, the pain point of Nya's life right now is all around procreation. And this beautiful women shows up with her gorgeous children and husband, and HER husband comments about how much he wants kids- yeah I could see her feeling insecure. Not that she begrudges LTW her life (she barely knows her) but its more like "by golly I don't need to be reminded of this right now."

I can see that. Even the most nice, least jealous person can feel a certain type of way seeing someone who has everything or that very thing they can't have. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, RealHousewife said:

That's an interesting perspective. I completely get what you mean.

In general though, I hesitate to judge the way anyone gives back. I think it's messed up when people who don't have a lot of money but work their butts off don't get credit. But I also appreciate those who can give back by simply writing a check. At the end of the day, a lot people do not want to part with their money. I kind of feel the same about whether or not to publicize giving back. I see the argument against doing it. There's something classy about just giving back and doing it quietly. But sometimes sharing what you're doing does help spread the message and inspires others to help out in whatever way they can. But sometimes people assume celebs who don't tweet about their every kind act aren't philanthropic. Kim Kardashian used to get a lot of criticism for being all about herself and not giving back. I remember her mother said she did give back and did it quietly. Then we all see her trying to do all this good, and some people still give her shit. For me, if you volunteer your time, that is precious and I appreciate you. If you donate money, that is wonderful too. Another thing that I personally find icky is when smaller donations are looked down upon. A lot of us can't be the lady who writes a big, fat check, but we like to give back. I like to donate each time I get a new job, promotion, raise, am gifted a lot of money, things like that. Is it going to be Carrie Bradshaw money? No, but I like to think every bit helps. I look for charities where they actually say what the amount of money you give can do for someone. 

I can see that. Even the most nice, least jealous person can feel a certain type of way seeing someone who has everything or that very thing they can't have. 

I find the interesting part of this post is the writing of the check "with her husband's money" and the insinuation that women who don't work outside of the home as lesser than.  Did Charlotte write a check with Harry's money?  Pretty condescending view of traditional marriage.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, slowpoked said:

I don't know who was that character in that stairwell scene. Miranda doesn't talk like that, it drove me crazy!!! 

The most galling thing about that stairway scene is that Miranda herself said that she would never behave that way if Che were a guy!  Again, making it seem that whatever Che has is so much more appealing and crazy-making than every single guy Miranda has been with, despite the fact that the way Che has been coming off is, to use a phrase, “all hat and no cattle.”  

Writers: Oh, Che is the funniest person alive!  
Audience: Okay, where are the jokes then?

Writers: Che is just so edgy and transgressive that mainstream America just can’t handle it!  They do pot, like, all the time!  They can’t even keep track of their DMs because they’re so constantly high!  It’s so edgy!

Audience: I literally have butter knives in my drawer sharper than Che’s edges.  And Che being a stoner burn-out is aspirational, somehow?

To use the old adage, show, don’t tell.  I actually think this storyline could have worked if the writers had developed Che as an actual character rather than a Christmas tree to hang the ornaments of hip new younger character traits on (non-binary!  Podcaster!  Stoner!  Pansexual!  Has a comedy show!).  Like many have said, Miranda and Naya might have made a better match.  

All that hype about Cleveland and yet nothing apparently happened there.

(Also, call me cruel, but I would LOVE to see Miranda’s reaction to Che - who hosts a podcast about sex and love and relationships - mentioning the time they fingerbanged this chick in her friend’s kitchen.)

Edited by Lethallyfab
  • LOL 2
  • Love 6

I find the interesting part of this post is the writing of the check "with her husband's money" and the insinuation that women who don't work outside of the home as lesser than.  Did Charlotte write a check with Harry's money?  Pretty condescending view of traditional marriage.

That’s my quote you’re referring to, and I have great respect for traditional marriage. I was a SAHM for 20 years. I never said they were lesser than. Charlotte contributes to the marriage by managing the household and raising the kids. 

If you read the entire post, I refer to the Real Housewives types who literally do nothing but shop and gossip. They’re not cooking and cleaning and being hands-on with their kids or contributing to society in any way. Here’s what I said:

I think it refers to more of an old school type, those shallow Ladies Who Lunch, Real Housewives types whose entire lives revolve around frippery and vanity but then write big cheques (with their husband’s money) and get credit for being such great supporters of the Cause. 

I also said this:

And more women are working to earn their own cheques to write. 

• Love 3
13 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I can see Nya side-eying LTW with her weird outfit, limo, and perfect little family. But I thought Nya was outwardly happy for the help. 

On 1/30/2022 at 9:36 PM, BrindaWalsh said:

I will have to rewatch because I don't remember seeing Nya react to Lisa in any way except surprise and gratitude. I guess I missed a lot LOL. 

That said, just because Nya has a great career doesn't mean she doesn't envy people who have other things that she doesn't have, especially with her husband putting so much pressure on her. And being able to socialize in different social circles doesn't mean someone doesn't still get all in their feelings with the kind of pressure Nya's husband has put on her and that they've both put on her body. 

12 hours ago, BrindaWalsh said:

Maybe, I just found it a bit...odd.  There were other ways to show interaction between the two without it being the "insecurity" factor -- I thought it actually came out quite nicely when her husband observed "The Cleavers" painting the room and fit into their already existing narrative.  This other element just felt forced.  But JMHO.

I was so annoyed with Nya's husband in that scene because I feel like all the pressure is on her. And she did make a rude comment about LTW's family probably having 2 nannies or something like that. But I felt like that was more directed at the husband who made it seem (to me) like he could have what LTW's husband has if only Nya would get pregnant. And that's so untrue. 

• Love 3

I was just rewatching parts of this episode and Carrie slipped her wedding ring on and then Big's.  When she removed them after her talk with Steve she took off his first  and then hers.

If she'd have put Big's on and then hers,  his ring  wouldn't have fallen down the drain.

On 1/29/2022 at 10:36 AM, RedHawk said:

Yes, Trey's ED got fixed and then Charlotte focused on a new "problem" in their relationship. She needed a perfect baby or two (not cardboard!) to fulfill her little girl dreams of the perfect image of adult life. Didn't Trey at one point say something like "Aren't we enough?" Charlotte was putting a lot of pressure on a man who'd only recently been able to have actual sex with he

I loved Charlotte, but I didn't have an ounce of sympathy for her regarding her disastrous marriage to Trey. She rushed into it five minutes after meeting him, rushed into having a baby five minutes after they reconciled, went completely overboard in her efforts to procure a child after her fertility problems were discovered, then has the nerve to be angry with him for talking to his mother (who albeit, is an overbearing pain in the ass) when she discussed their problems with COMPLETE STRANGERS and didn't discuss half of the things she was doing with HIM. But when an exhausted and overwhelmed Trey asks if they can simply take a break from everything, HE'S the bad guy.

Let's not forget how stupid she was to quit her job before she even got pregnant and was now unable to get it back after the marriage fell apart.

Edited by Dr.OO7
  • Love 8
On 1/30/2022 at 9:36 PM, BrindaWalsh said:

Imposter syndrome is crazy like that though. On paper, Nya would seem to be in the top 1% in terms of what people think of as achievement and success, but it doesn't feel that way when you are in academia maintaining a crazy workload of teaching, research, advising, and administrative responsibilities while getting compensated 10-20x less than the football coach and administrators.

13 hours ago, love2lovebadtv said:

I will have to rewatch because I don't remember seeing Nya react to Lisa in any way except surprise and gratitude. I guess I missed a lot LOL. 

With that said, this is how I remembering interpreting Nya's reaction as well. Not intimidation, but surprise, gratitude, and maybe a bit of jealousy and BEC towards LTW. 

• Love 4
On 1/31/2022 at 3:03 PM, Lethallyfab said:

(Also, call me cruel, but I would LOVE to see Miranda’s reaction to Che - who hosts a podcast about sex and love and relationships - mentioning the time they fingerbanged this chick in her friend’s kitchen.)

Yeah, I'd love to see how SATC would have handled that...in this show, we'd probably see Miranda thinking that being called out as the "finger-banged chick in her friend's kitchen" as the coolest, sexiest thing ever and then we'd have to watch her immediately rush on over for some "Che Time" 🤮

• Love 3

It feels like the showrunners are taking every opportunity to humiliate the characters in explicit ways this time around. This episode, they show Charlotte with period blood on the back of her pants. Before that, they have Harry do full frontal. Before that, we saw Carrie and her date vomit, something that, like Charlotte, could have been referenced in another way without showing it. Then we got to see Miranda getting fingered in two different scenes. Before that, they had a scene where Big masturbated for Carrie. What is going on here? It isn't necessary. If they have a second season, I hope they cut back on this stuff.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, newyawk said:

It feels like the showrunners are taking every opportunity to humiliate the characters in explicit ways this time around. This episode, they show Charlotte with period blood on the back of her pants. Before that, they have Harry do full frontal. Before that, we saw Carrie and her date vomit, something that, like Charlotte, could have been referenced in another way without showing it. Then we got to see Miranda getting fingered in two different scenes. Before that, they had a scene where Big masturbated for Carrie. What is going on here? It isn't necessary. If they have a second season, I hope they cut back on this stuff.

They're just continuing the awful trend that they started in Movie #2. Remember Samantha frantically rubbing yam extract hormone cream (or whatever) into her crotch? These writers are the most uncouth people. None of the above was at all funny or truly necessary. I don't think I'm a total prude either, it's just offensive.

• Love 8
On 1/27/2022 at 8:59 AM, mstar1125 said:

I couldn't help but wonder...is this the Carrie we could have gotten to know in the OG series if she hadn't been chasing after/fawning over/commiserating about Big for 6 seasons? It's like Big died, a veil was lifted, and she became a likeable person. 

If I remember correctly, Carrie “obsessed, chased, fawned over, and commiserated” about a great many men over the course of 6 seasons. It’s one of many things I couldn’t stand about her. It was as if she was nothing without a man in her life and that struck me as rather pathetic.

• Love 2
On 1/27/2022 at 4:45 PM, chitowngirl said:

Why can’t Charlotte a)talk like a normal person and not in that baby-talk way and b)walk normally? She’s a runner and has done modern dance. She knows how to move. It’s like she’s on her tippy toes all the time.

Charlotte has been turned into a caricature of Charlotte.   Her behavior, her speech, her style of clothing.   Everything.   She used to be one of my favorite characters.  Now I cringe whenever she's onscreen. 

The scene between Carrie and Steve almost felt conspiratorial.   Like those episodes of Star Trek where reality has been altered but only one or two characters realize what's going on and both go around faking it until they have a chance to talk in private.   I thought Steve might ask Carrie, "How do we get back to our show?"

• LOL 11
  • Love 4
12 hours ago, millennium said:

The scene between Carrie and Steve almost felt conspiratorial.   Like those episodes of Star Trek where reality has been altered but only one or two characters realize what's going on and both go around faking it until they have a chance to talk in private.   I thought Steve might ask Carrie, "How do we get back to our show?"

Yeah- I can understand Steve asking Carrie what she knew (it’s only human nature, and they have had a sweet friendship) but proclaiming that he would never let Miranda go? Never take off his ring? I could see Steve telling Carrie he was still in shock and just trying to get through it by eating chicken wings and eating ice cream with Brady (when he’s not with Louisa) because he doesn’t want to be a bitter person and put Brady against his Mom. 

But Brady hasn’t even been a character, just a sex fiend. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

but proclaiming that he would never let Miranda go? Never take off his ring?

Speaking of alternate realities, I think Steve has been living in a rose-colored world since the day he met Miranda.  She rarely treated him well, and when she did it was usually after some sequence of events had granted her a quick look at her ugly self -- her reactive kindness to Steve always seemed like an attempt to mitigate that unpleasant reflection.  Even when she agreed to marry him and move to Brooklyn, it had the air of inevitability and resignation rather than love.  I'm in the minority who believe that Miranda never loved Steve.  She settled for him.  It's not out of character for her to have a mid-life crisis now, although the form it has taken does seem very out of step with the woman we have come to know.  

Steve clinging to his illusion of a soulmate seems pretty typical for the punching bag he's always been to Miranda.  People say Big treated Carrie like shit, but Miranda's repeated mistreatment of Steve takes the prize, IMO.  (And her friends just stood by and watched it happen.)

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
16 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Brady is sex and drugs!  No heart or brain!  🙄  What a lovely view this show has of teenage boys huh?

This really ticked me off. Miranda is a beloved character, and all we got about her one child is an uncontrollably horny teenager? Couldn't we get some respectful storyline for the kid? His reaction to what's going on with his mother? Anything serious? 

• Love 5
15 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

This really ticked me off. Miranda is a beloved character, and all we got about her one child is an uncontrollably horny teenager? Couldn't we get some respectful storyline for the kid? His reaction to what's going on with his mother? Anything serious? 

No. I don't think we were supposed to think of Miranda as a mother.  I think we were supposed to focus on her as a person who was finding herself.  Which is ridiculous because you can find yourself without losing who you are already.

• Love 5
35 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

Especially because we watched "Brady" grow up for a few years and he was this cute redheaded kid that represented Miranda and Steve's love for each other 🙄.  I get that teenage boys are not sunshine and lollipops but it's disrespectful and it's not easy to be that age.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, RealHousewife said:

And I still don't understand why Brady was made to be 17 when if we follow the basic SATC timeline, he'd be around 20. He could still be living at home doing college classes remotely and then the (nearly) live-in girlfriend would be more realistic. Even Che offering him weed at the funeral would have been more understandable (to Che he's a young adult, not an older teen) while still upsetting Miranda (Che's a stranger, Brady is her kid and he's at a funeral). These writing choices just baffle me.

Edited by RedHawk
Didn't want to spoil the final episode in this thread
  • Love 9
On 2/7/2022 at 2:02 PM, RedHawk said:

And I still don't understand why Brady was made to be 17 when if we follow the basic SATC timeline, he'd be around 20. He could still be living at home doing college classes remotely and then the (nearly) live-in girlfriend would be more realistic. Even Che offering him weed at the funeral would have been more understandable (to Che he's a young adult, not an older teen) while still upsetting Miranda (Che's a stranger, Brady is her kid and he's at a funeral). These writing choices just baffle me.

Lily should be 18 as well- not sure why they aged down the kids. 

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Lily should be 18 as well- not sure why they aged down the kids. 

For some reason they wanted us to see the kids grow up, which I get, although I'd personally prefer them to be the ages they were supposed to be. But we didn't get to see the main characters (MIRANDA!) grow. Just boom, someone different. 

• Love 2