Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E09: No Strings Attached

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, TheBride said:

You would think that Cynthia Nixon has the money to cap her front teeth. 

I don't mind it at all ... I'm fascinated by real teeth on the screen.   I get excited when I see them and automatically think the actor has balls for going against the grain and not getting them fixed.  

In other news, what the fuck have I been watching?    I have fond memories of SATC so I've been watching it in between this horrible reboot - and totally forgot that Bradley Cooper was in one of the earlier episodes.

But I absolutely despise Cynthia Nixon after this.   She's an asshole and has made Miranda an asshole.  At this point I want Steve and Nya to hook up and live happily ever after.  

• Love 21
11 minutes ago, Surrealist said:

You should write for this show. The scenarios definitely would have worked.

Thanks! :-) The writers had the history of their main characters right there in front of them and didn't use it.

I realized I do like the Dr. Nya and husband storyline, just not on this show. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
16 minutes ago, chuckity said:

But I absolutely despise Cynthia Nixon after this.   She's an asshole and has made Miranda an asshole.  At this point I want Steve and Nya to hook up and live happily ever after.  

I could totally get into Nya and Steve. 

1 hour ago, TeeMo said:

Also Miranda continues to be the worst. Why does she generally look polished and well put together in her scenes with Charlotte and Carrie and then look so ragged and unkempt in her scenes with Che? Che has a casual but sleek style so it is not like Miranda is trying to match their vibe with her sloppier looks in their scenes together. It is like watching two completely different people in these scenes. She also looks way older in most of the scenes with Che which is weird as well. 

I think the wavy hair is meant to connote that, with Che, Miranda is all wild and free, but really it just makes her look like Ches's Nana. 

Edited by luna1122
  • LOL 14
  • Love 4

What was with Miranda screaming in Che's echo-y halls and stairwell? Geez, at least Che could have said, "Let's go back into my apartment and talk about this." Where I live at least three people would have stuck their heads out of their doors and frowned disapprovingly. Miranda thinks only of herself now and has no manners. 

I did laugh when the fan in the diner looked at the first photo Miranda took, handed the phone back, and ordered, "Again." Haha! Miranda has no photo skills. Probably because she pointed and shot to get rid of the pesky fans so she and Che could go back to having "FUN!"

• Love 7
42 minutes ago, RedHawk said:

I totally hope at the end of this season Miranda and Che ride off into the Netflix comedy special spotlight and are never heard from again. I have zero interest in seeing more of either character, alone or together.

If they would not be a part of Season two I would want a Season 2.

2 hours ago, 27bored said:

I’ve said and I think some other people have said elements of the actors have seeped into their characters. If I had to just venture a guess with no facts, I’d say one of the reasons David Eigenberg’s acting has been so affecting is because Steve’s reaction is probably how he would react if his own wife left him.

In one of the interviews with the writers they said someone on the crew made up shirts or signs that said Team Miranda and Team Steve and David chose Team Miranda.   That tells me he is a nice guy and doesn't take things onscreen or in the script personally.  We cannot say the same about Cynthia Nixon.  

• Love 6

I loved Che Diaz in this episode. I hate what Miranda has become and their relationship, but I thought Che was awesome. With the awkwardness when the fans revealed their sex connections to being mortified at Miranda's random appearance, I thought Sara Ramirez did a great job. 

And as someone who had a hotel-room full of friends trying to coach her at 17 on how to insert a tampon, I thought that Lilly's storyline was on point.

• Love 7
38 minutes ago, chuckity said:

I don't mind it at all ... I'm fascinated by real teeth on the screen.   I get excited when I see them and automatically think the actor has balls for going against the grain and not getting them fixed.  

So, her malocclusion can lead to other issues, chewing your food properly is important for good digestion, which if you do not digest properly it can lead to other issues.  I remember an episode on SATC where she got braces, the big metal kind, (which in real life would not have been used on an adult, my kids didn't even get that kind back then), she should have stuck with it.  Her tooth color has never been good and having her canines stick out further now may bother her when she is older, teeth move and chewing can be affected not too mention they look bad.   

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
44 minutes ago, chuckity said:

(bolding mine) OOOOO. Actually that would work. The age gap isn't that big, Steve wouldn't care if Nya didn't want kids because he has Brady and its never been insinuated that he wanted more kids. He would appreciate Nya's intelligence and independence but she would be way nicer to him than Miranda has been.

You should write for the show.

• Love 6
32 minutes ago, luna1122 said:

I could totally get into Nya and Steve. 

Me too. If only so Miranda can say she is fine with it when in reality she is not fine with it.

19 minutes ago, RedHawk said:

Miranda thinks only of herself now and has no manners. 

It is possible when "you are living your truth" that you can do so without being asshole to the people you care about.  Miranda has not said one word about how this might affect Brady. Shame on her.

I think the wavy hair is meant to connote that, with Che, Miranda is all wild and free,

I do think they want us to think she is a free spirit now. But that is not what I see.  I see someone who acts like they are on speed. She is always talking nervously when she is with Che.  She does not seem relaxed at all.

Edited by ifionlyknew
  • Love 9
20 hours ago, Rebecca berkowit said:

Anyway, the whole arc of Miranda discovering a new sexuality in midlife could have been done with some subtlety.  They could’ve had Miranda doubt herself and even avoid Che/focus on her marriage for a few episodes, as I am sure someone would do if they suddenly found their sexuality changing from the way they’d always known it to be.  They could have had her struggle with the decision to leave her marriage.

Yes. I do think there is a world where this story arc could have worked, or at least worked better, if they'd given it time to develop. Instead, they've tried to shoehorn this huge paradigm shift for a core character into one season- a season already struggling under the weight of introducing  a bazillion new characters along with the departure of old characters, etc.

(edited for spelling)

Edited by lamadeleine
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, luna1122 said:

Unless they're still sharing the brownstone while Miranda gets her groove on wherever with Che. 

You’ve got Brady and his girlfriend going at it in one room with Miranda and Che in the another. With Steve in the middle who just takes out his hearing aids!

• LOL 5
  • Love 4
3 minutes ago, T Summer said:

This made British Vogue

Safari Essential Kit Moschino Fall/winter 2021

jacket $1297.50 (was $2595.00) + shorts $575.00 (was $1150.00)

https://www.moschino.com/us_en/safari-essential-kit-gabardine-jacket.html

https://www.moschino.com/us_en/safari-essential-kit-gabardine

GettyImages-1350990739.jpg

Next up on QVC: Ladies, do you need an outfit for when you’re on a lion country safari, but you wanna look kinda bougie, overdressed, and uncomfortable? Well we have just the look for you!

• LOL 19
  • Love 4
11 hours ago, luna1122 said:

I thought that very thing. That Nya was Trey, which is one reason I always felt sorry for Trey. Imagine someone who was supposed to love you telling you that you aren't enough, that they're choosing a non existent child over you. 

I know that's an oversimplification of the issue, and though I never wanted kids, I'm not negating the import of wanting them. But we were always supposed to be on Charlotte's side in that situation, and just think Trey was weird and selfish. They weren't ultimately a good couple but it wasn’t all Trey's fault. 

Here, though, I do think we're supposed to be sympathetic to both Nya and her husband. But imagine being with someone 15+ years and then having this impasse. It really seems Nya doesn't want kids at all. I'm guessing they're heading for a breakup too?

Yeah, what was with LTW's outfit??

@27bored, you made me lol, for real. 

1 hour ago, RedHawk said:

I get that a man Dr. Nya's husband's age can change his mind and feel the yearn for kids, and that he can start another discussion in a bad moment/inappropriate situation. It reminded me of the second movie(?) where Carrie and Big discuss that they won't be having children, and she gives him the watch with the inscription "Me and You, Just Us Two" [or was it "Just We Two"?].

Anyway, it was an issue that a childless couple their ages would have discussed and it was ok how they handled it. (I didn't exactly buy that John James Preston wouldn't want at least one child but I guess he gave up that life when he got bored with Natasha. Or he knew he could dump Carrie and still have a kid even if he was in his 50s or 60s.) Now we have a peripheral couple going through the have or not have kids story and while it's realistic to me that it's becoming a serious problem between them, I'm not invested in this couple and their lives, so it seems like more wasted time (and checking the box on an issue) when I'd rather see what's going on with our principal characters.

ETA: And how natural would it be for Miranda to set up a conversation between Carrie and Dr. Nya about how she and Big had a happy marriage without children? Also, Charlotte could talk to Dr. Nya about adoption. At least those scenes would pull the character into more interaction with our main characters.

Edited again to add: I think they may be setting up Dr. Nya and her husband to divorce so she will be "single" again like Carrie and Seema for Season 2. Which reminds me that I totally hope at the end of this season Miranda and Che ride off into the Netflix comedy special spotlight and are never heard from again. I have zero interest in seeing more of either character, alone or together.

I have no idea why we even have this storyline or why we are supposed to care about these two, but I feel for Andre. I realize not all childfree couples will have a change of heart (or need to - you can have a fulfilled life as a married couple without children), but I like that the show is going there. Also flipping the Charlotte/Trey storyline to show that the man can be the one yearning for a child, which is not the typical portrayal. Although we are clearly supposed to think he is wrong to push successful career-driven Nya into a life of motherhood, I don't see him as the bad guy, I just see him as someone who has decided he wants the life experience of raising children. Nya clearly doesn't want that, so it's probably going to be a dealbreaker for them. 

Spoiler

Based on the trailer for next week's episode, I wonder if Miranda turning down an internship to follow love or whatever, is going to "inspire" Nya to make a similar life change and divorce Andre. Also, can Miranda just go on tour with Che and never come back? Thanks. I hope this means Steve and Brady get to keep the house.

I liked this episode except for the Miranda/Che scenes. You could lift those scenes right out and it wouldn't have affected the rest of the episode. Miranda when she wasn't talking about Che (e.g., at lunch in the first scene, with Charlotte and the "flash period") seemed a lot more like OG Miranda. Her smugness about Steve being a great guy for showing up to paint the shelter even though they were separated made me want to slap her though. 

• Love 5

I wonder why LTW would've selected that outfit to paint in? It's expensive and she might bend over a pot or tray of paint and have brushes fall into them.

I think she ended up taking care of lunch, right? ...but she didn't know she would be doing that when she went.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, mstar1125 said:

Miranda when she wasn't talking about Che (e.g., at lunch in the first scene, with Charlotte and the "flash period") seemed a lot more like OG Miranda.

I said that exact thing.  This makes me think Miranda doesn't feel like she can be herself with Che.  If this was happening on SATC Miranda would talk about that with her friends and ask why can't I relax with them.

25 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

You’ve got Brady and his girlfriend going at it in one room with Miranda and Che in the another. With Steve in the middle who just takes out his hearing aids!

I know you are joking but we have yet to see Miranda bring Che into her world.  She knows Carrie and has met Charlotte but we haven't seen them become a part of Miranda's circle.  I doubt we will ever get to see Che meeting Brady.  Pretty sure we are to assume they have met and Brady loves them and has no problem with any of this

• Love 3
29 minutes ago, ifionlyknew said:

I said that exact thing.  This makes me think Miranda doesn't feel like she can be herself with Che.  If this was happening on SATC Miranda would talk about that with her friends and ask why can't I relax with them.

I know you are joking but we have yet to see Miranda bring Che into her world.  She knows Carrie and has met Charlotte but we haven't seen them become a part of Miranda's circle.  I doubt we will ever get to see Che meeting Brady.  Pretty sure we are to assume they have met and Brady loves them and has no problem with any of this

Brady HAS met Che ... Che was getting Brady high at Big's memorial and "Rambo" lost her mind.  

So actually, Brady is the one to blame here - he was the conduit to his parent's impending divorce.  jk

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
3 minutes ago, chuckity said:

Brady HAS met Che ... Che was getting Brady high at Big's memorial and "Rambo" lost her mind.  

So actually, Brady is the one to blame here - he was the conduit to his parent's impending divorce.  jk

Oh that is right.  But we didn't see Miranda tell Brady she is now with Che.

Everything about this story has just been handled so poorly.

• Love 8
54 minutes ago, ifionlyknew said:

Of course, we saw Carrie tell Miranda, long ago, that she wasn't herself around Big, that she "wore little outfits" and always tried to be perfect with him. And they wound up as endgame anyway. 

And it was Miranda who called her on it, told her she shouldn't have to change who she was for someone. Miranda, the used-to-be voice of wisdom. Carrie needs to call her on it now. 

Although there IS some tiny part of me that has hope that they're going there with this. Miranda's "this HAS to work" to Che and  her at least slightly self aware "i know, I have a problem" to Carrie when Miranda was freaking out about Che not leaving her a voice-mail makes me kind of think we are supposed to realize Miranda is not being her authentic self. Who knows. 

This is either kind of funny or infuriating. Maybe both. From CN's IG. Even Che is team Steve. 

https://www.instagram.com/cynthiaenixon/p/CZR5hWmrGq1/?utm_medium=copy_link

• Love 5
9 minutes ago, luna1122 said:

Although there IS some tiny part of me that has hope that they're going there with this. Miranda's "this HAS to work" to Che and  her at least slightly self aware "i know, I have a problem" to Carrie when Miranda was freaking out about Che not leaving her a voice-mail makes me kind of think we are supposed to realize Miranda is not being her authentic self. Who knows. 

With these writers it's hard to tell what they are trying to do. We the audience can see Miranda is not being herself.  Surely Cynthia Nixon can see that and perhaps she doesn't care but she is playing her like I am new to all this I need to hold on really tight or I'm going to lose it.  So either CN's acting has went to shit or Miranda is in for a big wake up call.

9 minutes ago, luna1122 said:

This is either kind of funny or infuriating. Maybe both. From CN's IG. Even Che is team Steve. 

https://www.instagram.com/cynthiaenixon/p/CZR5hWmrGq1/?utm_medium=copy_link

Sara Ramirez can separate themself from their character.  Maybe someone needs to tell Cynthia Nixon she should do that too.

Edited by ifionlyknew
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, T Summer said:

This made British Vogue

Minus the boots — It IS kind of “Makeup Artist on the Set of ‘Hungry Like the Wolf’ Video.”

But she is a lovely lady who manages to look confident in it. I’ll for sure give her that!

• LOL 4
  • Love 3

Tried to read through all the comments and did anyone mention in the beginning of the episode,when Carries young neighbor came to the door with the ring she, was wearing pretty much a see-through top her breasts and nipples were clearly visible. Is this is the way someone walks around in public? Does NYC still have indecent exposure laws?😳🙂

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Out of all the people that Che has slept with or supposedly could sleep with in New York and this married person with a teenaged son is who Che falls in love with?!?!?!?!!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?  It HAS to be the married person?  

The heart wants what the heart wants 😆

LTW had no intention of painting! She was more than happy to just write a check. And she did come through with the lunch trucks.  Miranda would not let Carrie get away with just writing a check. 

14 minutes ago, chediavolo said:

Tried to read through all the comments and did anyone mention in the beginning of the episode,when Carries young neighbor came to the door with the ring she, was wearing pretty much a see-through top her breasts and nipples were clearly visible. Is this is the way someone walks around in public? Does NYC still have indecent exposure laws?😳🙂

She wasn’t out in public-she was in the same building and visiting her upstairs neighbor. Yes, I did think it was an odd choice for a top, but she seems to be confident and comfortable with herself. Carrie would have worn it back in the day. It’s the next generation, which is what I thought we’d be getting more of with this show.

• LOL 3
  • Love 5

By the way, the line "I can't be the white lady just writing a check".  What the hell kind of writing is that?  That 100% was Cynthia Nixon saying "Put that line in!  That sounds so woke!"

What does that even mean?  What is bad about white people giving money to good causes?  Not only should rich (white) people do it, but they should do it more!  Go nuts!

• Love 17

You would think that Cynthia Nixon has the money to cap her front teeth. 

Yes, this. I thought during SATC’s run, that at one point she did have better looking teeth, but now the little yellow corn teeth are back. Why? She’s an actress and in politics, image is important. I find her teeth so distracting, but not as much as her backwards mullet.

• Love 8

(When they hired a non-binary person to play the role, this changed, and I don’t think the writers really knew how to write the Che character authentically; they also probably salivated at the idea that this could score them their coveted diversity points, and both of these things account for some of the preachiness/awkward dialogue people have noted with the character.)

Count me among those who expected Miranda to fly to Cleveland only to discover Che in bed with someone else. It seemed like an obvious choice, especially after Che was dropping anvils about not being able to give Miranda anything traditional. I suspect the reason the show didn't go that route is they are determined to portray Che in a positive light, lest they be accused of being less than woke. Miranda still manages to make an idiot out of herself, but without damaging the "integrity" of Che's character.

Is Steve's jaw wired shut? WHY is he talking like that?

David Eigenberg has always talked like that. He sounds the same on Chicago Fire.

• Love 7
On 1/27/2022 at 8:12 AM, Baltimore Betty said:

Lily and her tampon issues are a real thing but my goodness there was so much time spent on that. 

Any mother of a teenage daughter who is hormonal and trying out tampons for the first time can relate to the amount of time spent discussing and fighting (cause somehow it's "our" fault they "can't do it") about it has lived this.  It taking up so much time in the episode mimics real life!  😂

• LOL 2
  • Love 7

It would make so much sense if we were to find out that Miranda took up cocaine when she gave up booze, it would explain the manic crazy eyes she has been flashing. What in the world was going on in Che's hallway? It was like she was on six year old on a sugar high, what is she even doing? What are these acting choices?

• LOL 2
  • Love 7

There are way too many characters (who are dangling) in this series. Why on earth did they write in Miranda's relationship with Nya and her fertility problems, then Miranda flies off into Che-land and there's no more mention of her Masters program, but Lisa enters and saves the day by getting food catering, and then there's Nya's husband who has father-envy....whew!  None of these people matter! I think they were just trying to tie in every age, gender, race, and creed to be politically correct. 

• Love 8

Friends had 6 main characters all with their own stories.  The show Community has a main cast of 7.  The Office had a main cast of at least 10.  I don't find the other characters an issue in the series.

I don't care for the Che stuff because I don't find Miranda believable, but as Carrie's podcast host at least that would have made sense.  I can see the value of Nya, Seema, and LTW being new people in the main cast's lives.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1

Sigh. I can't believe this is the same Miranda who yelled at Carrie that she was "living in a fantasy!" when she literally tossed Steve away to run off with someone who left her on read for 3 months. 

• Love 6
4 hours ago, T Summer said:

This made British Vogue

Was she also doing hair and makeup on the show because I could not think of another reason as to why you would have an outfit with pockets stuffed with brushes and compacts and such.  I understand this is fashion but come on, even the designers have to be thinking this is silly, right?

• Love 4
59 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I suspect the reason the show didn't go that route is they are determined to portray Che in a positive light, lest they be accused of being less than woke. Miranda still manages to make an idiot out of herself, but without damaging the "integrity" of Che's character.

But it's ok for them to smoke so much weed they can't keep track of which messages they have read?  Or to finger bang a coworker's friend in her kitchen?  

Just to be clear @iMonrey I am questioning the writers, not you.

When I told one of my best friends, a gay man, about Che and the kitchen hook up, his response was "Oh great that is the representation we are looking for" sarcastically.  

Edited by ifionlyknew
  • LOL 2
  • Love 5

I thought it was interesting when Miranda was having her meltdown in the staircase, Che said "This isn't working," Miranda said, "This HAS to work." Which makes me think she's maybe starting to realize how much she's given up at this point.

Or not. Who knows...

• Useful 2
  • Love 8
4 hours ago, chuckity said:

And he was at Che's rally. Not only does he know who they are, we are supposed to believe that he thinks of them as a celebrity. It would be interesting to see the "My mom left my dad for a celebrity" angle, so of course we won't see this. 

Steve came across as capable - and maybe even attractive? - this episode, in contrast to past episodes where he was portrayed as a deaf doddering octogenarian. Which confirms to me that the writers wanted us to view him through Miranda's "unfulfilled wife" lens. I think the same can be said of Brady. We were meant to see him through Miranda's "unhappy mom" lens - inappropriate with his girlfriend in public places (Lily's recital) and at their house (loud sex, Amazon lube orders), smoking weed at a funeral (was he already aware of Che's fame all the way back then, or was he truly bumming a smoke off a stranger?). This episode showed us a typical 17-year-old kid - happy and comfortable with his dad, joking with Aunt Carrie about her ensemble, and wanting to team up with his girlfriend for the day instead of his mom. Now that we are not seeing them through Miranda, we are seeing Steve and Brady as their normal selves - and at least in the case of Steve - the way we remember him and would expect him to act all these years later. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 20
15 minutes ago, mstar1125 said:

And he was at Che's rally. Not only does he know who they are, we are supposed to believe that he thinks of them as a celebrity. It would be interesting to see the "My mom left my dad for a celebrity" angle, so of course we won't see this. 

Steve came across as capable - and maybe even attractive? - this episode, in contrast to past episodes where he was portrayed as a deaf doddering octogenarian. Which confirms to me that the writers wanted us to view him through Miranda's "unfulfilled wife" lens. I think the same can be said of Brady. We were meant to see him through Miranda's "unhappy mom" lens - inappropriate with his girlfriend in public places (Lily's recital) and at their house (loud sex, Amazon lube orders), smoking weed at a funeral (was he already aware of Che's fame all the way back then, or was he truly bumming a smoke off a stranger?). This episode showed us a typical 17-year-old kid - happy and comfortable with his dad, joking with Aunt Carrie about her ensemble, and wanting to team up with his girlfriend for the day instead of his mom. Now that we are not seeing them through Miranda, we are seeing Steve and Brady as their normal selves - and at least in the case of Steve - the way we remember him and would expect him to act all these years later. 

I like this angle a lot, but have no confidence that this is what the writers intended. 

• Love 12
47 minutes ago, Moviesnob said:

I thought it was interesting when Miranda was having her meltdown in the staircase, Che said "This isn't working," Miranda said, "This HAS to work." Which makes me think she's maybe starting to realize how much she's given up at this point.

Or not. Who knows...

Well she left her husband for them of course it has to work. Like she made a huge sacrifice to be with Che it would suck if it fell apart in 3 weeks.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

By the way, the line "I can't be the white lady just writing a check".  What the hell kind of writing is that?  That 100% was Cynthia Nixon saying "Put that line in!  That sounds so woke!"

What does that even mean?  What is bad about white people giving money to good causes?  Not only should rich (white) people do it, but they should do it more!  Go nuts!

I was just listening to the writers' podcast for this show. (This is the first one I've listened to, and I'm doing it so that y'all don't have to!)

In it they discuss that line: "You can't be the white lady just writing a check." MPK says, "I'm sure it will be a lightning rod line." He sounds so self-satisfied for writing it, like he's so aware and we're all going to gasp in shock. . .  um, as we recognize ourselves and realize we have to do better? Is that why he calls it a "lightning rod line"? 

Well, it's not a new line. I've basically been hearing it for 5 years or more. They're saying it's not enough that you "write a check", you have to show up and give your time and prove that you truly care and are involved.

Except maybe some white (and all other) ladies are spending their time earning the money that goes into those checks, doing other things that need to be done, or doing behind-the-scenes volunteer work for other charities and causes (not getting handed a t-shirt). Paint and painting supplies cost money, and cash donations can be spent for the shelter's other needs, like beds and bedding, furniture, kitchen supplies, toiletries, etc.

Yes, Carrie's going to write a check and also paint, as are Miranda and Charlotte. Seema is going to write a check, not paint, sit and smoke like a boss, and pull the hot guy. LTW showed up in that outfit thinking "paint" meant it was a makeup party, so she pivoted to corralling the food trucks to get the volunteers fed. It's all good and there are different ways to contribute. MPK and others aren't going to make me feel guilty for not showing up at every march, walk, shelter renovation, whatever. Don't have the time nor the outfits, sorry. This white lady is gonna keep "just" writing checks.

Edited by RedHawk
  • Useful 1
  • Love 14
1 hour ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Was she also doing hair and makeup on the show because I could not think of another reason as to why you would have an outfit with pockets stuffed with brushes and compacts and such.  I understand this is fashion but come on, even the designers have to be thinking this is silly, right?

But it's couture! When I help friends paint, I always wear something fresh off the runway. Last year's fashion would be too embarrassing. 

I like this angle a lot, but have no confidence that this is what the writers intended. 

The idea that we now see Steve as competent, nice guy Steve instead of the doddering annoyance he was in Miranda's mind is not, alas, the writers' intentions. In the podcast they say that it first seems like Steve is being the good husband and dad, and even though the marriage is broken that it's a "family" event and he's still showing up, and that Miranda is so impressed by that. But, they say, he's actually there because he has an "agenda", which is to talk to Carrie. So the character assassination of Steve continues, even if only in the writers' minds.

• Love 1

"It's probably in your tushy crack."????? My tampon string was never in my tushy crack. I always used Tampax - do other brands have bizarrely long strings?

Edited to add: So yes, sometimes I experienced them pressed against the perineum (thanks, Scarlett45) but when Charlotte said it, I pictured it looping around and up the posterior butt crack. 😀 I think more often for me it was that the string squiggled up inside the vajayjay. (Yes, I'm a grownup.)

Edited by JeanJean
  • LOL 6

On 1/27/2022 at 5:17 AM, Aulty said:

The story with Charlotte and her menopause/flash period did feel like a SATC-Charlotte plot, I'll give them that, even though I didn't get all the fuss about using tampons.

I did like them sitting around the table and Charlotte gloating, only to get her period while wearing all white!

On 1/27/2022 at 9:25 AM, Trillian said:

I really didn’t get what the big deal was.  Why wouldn’t Lily want to use tampons? Is that a thing now?  And I don’t remember it being difficult to get the hang of it. Maybe I’m a bad mom, but when my daughter started, I handed her the box, showed her the diagram in the package insert and just hovered outside the bathroom door for a couple of minutes.  That’s more than my mom did. Somehow, we survived without hysterics. 

Lily's hysterics are more related to her being Charlotte's daughter, I suspect.

Lots of girls and women aren't comfortable using tampons. That isn't new. It's great that you had an easier experience but it's not the same for everyone. It doesn't make you or your mom bad either. 

I always knew about tampons, but I always thought they were for adults and I knew a lot of girls/young women who didn't use tampons until years after getting their first period. 

• Love 5
5 hours ago, chediavolo said:

Actually, this came up in a group discussion once, around the issue that men can unfairly go topless but women can't. Turns out, it's actually legal in some places - and NY (or at least NYC) is one of them. You never see it though, probably because women who were brave enough to do it would be harassed so much.

• Love 3