Type keyword(s) to search

Heartland - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Yeah, do we know why Ty was missing from so many episodes this season?  Was the actor just busy doing other things?  Or is he trying to reduce his commitment to this show?  I love Amy, Jack, Tim, and Georgie, but the show just isn't the same without Ty!  Amy and Ty are the core of this show for me!

• Love 1

We don't know why Ty has been missing so much, same with Lou.  The person responsible for the show's blog will not reveal anything personal to any actors regarding their absences unless it comes from them.  Like that time when the actress playing Mallory made it known that she had opted to quit.

It's been two seasons now that fans have been raging at Ty almost constantly MIA, and with good reason.  Ty and Amy are indeed the core, it couldn't work without him. :(

• Love 2

Heartland is one of the best show since the last twenty years.

In the last episode, it was nice to see Amy working with Spartan again like older seasons.

Jack was so right about his comment about internet when Georgie was being bulled. People need to be able to talk more to each others and less using internet. 

People are so cowards to speak anonymously. They don't care of the feeling of others.

Jack is the grand father that everybody would dream to have. Ty is the core of show, but also Jack, Amy, Lou, Scott, Caleb, Georgie and Val.

They should bring back Ashley. The relashion that she had with Caleb was realy good.

On 5/1/2018 at 6:52 AM, Adira said:

Yeah, do we know why Ty was missing from so many episodes this season?  Was the actor just busy doing other things?  Or is he trying to reduce his commitment to this show?  I love Amy, Jack, Tim, and Georgie, but the show just isn't the same without Ty!  Amy and Ty are the core of this show for me!

On 5/1/2018 at 11:36 AM, Myriad said:

We don't know why Ty has been missing so much, same with Lou.  The person responsible for the show's blog will not reveal anything personal to any actors regarding their absences unless it comes from them.  Like that time when the actress playing Mallory made it known that she had opted to quit.

It's been two seasons now that fans have been raging at Ty almost constantly MIA, and with good reason.  Ty and Amy are indeed the core, it couldn't work without him. :(

Last year I found this show on Netflix and watched all the seasons (1-9). Then I went to Amazon and watched 10, and then saw 11 through UpTV.  So, when I got to Season 10-11 and noticed Ty and Lou's absences I went to IMDB to see what they might be doing.  

At that time I could see under Graham Wardle's profile a listing for an upcoming project.  Then I noticed that Michelle Morgan was listed in the cast of the project.

Now their IMDBs both show it as a completed project.  https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7752658/?ref_=ttfc_fc_tt

So, I guess that explains a little bit of their time.

Also, on Graham's personal website FAQs it says, "I've been working on my own projects for the last year. A feature film and television show. Both of these may morph together or into a different format. What's fun for me is seeing the projects from my past supporting these latest ones. I'm exploring similar themes and ideas as I do in my book and my photography. As soon as I have something ready to show I'll be letting you all know first!" ( https://www.grahamwardleonline.com/faq.html )

• Love 1
(edited)
On 7/21/2019 at 1:01 PM, MikaelaArsenault said:

For those that have Comcast/XFINITY, UP Faith and Family is having a free preview starting tomorrow and ends next Sunday.

Yeah, this sucks. I don't know why Up has to give Heartland short shrift. For the past 2 or 3 seasons they've run through the season quickly by airing two episodes a week. Now they're not even putting it on their network, it's just on their streaming channel. 

On 7/17/2019 at 4:18 PM, AnnaCody said:

I've started watching Season 11.  It's been over a year since I saw S10.  Could someone refresh my memory on Ty's Mom Lily and her illness?  Thanks!

I'd have to go back and look. It's been a year since I watched season 11 so that means it's probably been 2 years since I watched season 10. I've forgotten things.

Edited by Aryanna
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Aryanna said:

Yeah, this sucks. I don't know why Up has to give Heartland short shrift. For the past 2 or 3 seasons they've run through the season quickly by airing two episodes a week. Now they're not even putting it on their network, it's just on their streaming channel. 

I'd have to go back and look. It's been a year since I watched season 11 so that means it's probably been 2 years since I watched season 10. I've forgotten things.

That’s a shame it has to happen. I just got UP TV back last week as well, and was hoping the new season would be premiering on there.

11 minutes ago, Forsaken said:

Didn't think much of Ep 1 Season 13, seems like more of the same.

I know I'm behind the series because I'm in the US and I only have seasons 1-11, but I did watch the entire 1st episode of Season 13 on YouTube (until it gets taken down) and I through it slow and tedious. I do not like that new foster kid, Luke. His character does not fit, and the kids acting is pretty bad. Perhaps I need to get to watch all of season 12 to see how his character was introduced and his backstory, but I'm not impressed so far.
What is with Tim acting like an ass to the contractor building Ty and Amy's new house? Why keep Tim's personality be such an ass, I would think that his character would show more growth in 13 seasons.
I like this show from season 1-10 (season 2 being my favorite), season 11 was just OK, but I'm fearing that the writers are becoming lax and sticking to old storytelling and I don't see much character growth. I hate to say this, but perhaps it's time to end this show? 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, free2think said:

I know I'm behind the series because I'm in the US and I only have seasons 1-11, but I did watch the entire 1st episode of Season 13 on YouTube (until it gets taken down) and I through it slow and tedious. I do not like that new foster kid, Luke. His character does not fit, and the kids acting is pretty bad. Perhaps I need to get to watch all of season 12 to see how his character was introduced and his backstory, but I'm not impressed so far.
What is with Tim acting like an ass to the contractor building Ty and Amy's new house? Why keep Tim's personality be such an ass, I would think that his character would show more growth in 13 seasons.
I like this show from season 1-10 (season 2 being my favorite), season 11 was just OK, but I'm fearing that the writers are becoming lax and sticking to old storytelling and I don't see much character growth. I hate to say this, but perhaps it's time to end this show? 

Yeah Luke appears late in Season 12 and I didn't like him then either. They are mirroring the Georgie storyline only with Ty and Amy now as adoptive type parents. He doesn't fit at all. 

Tim homeless doesn't work either. Surely with all the cash from his sale of his property he could rent a motel room? Him being an ass has gotten old now. 

I think we will see lots of story lines rehashed.

• Love 1

OMG imagine my surprise when I saw the first season 12 episode waiting for me on my DVR. I guess UP had decided to air it on their cable channel as well as their streaming channel. I'm so excited. 

The Amy/Ty drama was a little manufactured kind of like it was back when they were still dating. But I'm glad that it's seemingly worked out with them working together. I've always thought them working together to save animals should be their dynamic. There's great potential for good storylines here.

The little actresses that play Lyndy are just so cuuuute. 

40 minutes ago, Aryanna said:

I hate that there's no one here to discuss season 12 with me.

I hate that I' live in the US and can't see season 12! I love this show but I only watch it via Netflix and they only have through season 11.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Aryanna said:

I hate that there's no one here to discuss season 12 with me.

I can discuss, at least a little bit!  I don't know what the spoiler policy is, so I'll keep it sort of vague.

I'm over Lou.  She's starting to remind me of Carrie Bradshaw from Sex and The City, where she's made out to be the most irresistible woman ever on the planet and all men are powerless in her presence.  And it's like, yes, she's beautiful and all that, but I mean, come on show.  She's kind of a bad person.  And I'm talking about recent seasons; earlier in the series she wasn't as annoying.  Now she kind of treats Mitch terribly (being gone all the time and when she is around lording it over him with her "I'm your boss!" attitude) and he somehow sticks around and even ends other relationships for her?  And Scott is still out there?  As is Peter?  (Which, Peter deserves the bad treatment, but Scott and Mitch definitely do not.)  We're supposed to believe that all of these gorgeous and charming men just sit around and pine for her?    

Luke does not need to be there.  He's super annoying and a complete repeat of Georgie. 

I still like the show, but I do think it's getting towards the end.  They kind of seem like they're running out of ideas.        

• Love 2

I agree that Lou is a nice looking lady but she's not this hot piece that should have guys fawning all over her. It's kinda like on How I Met Your Mother how Robin's hotness was way overstated.

Lou was okay in earlier seasons but in the last several she's been annoying to me. Then again she was always my least favorite character. At the beginning of series she was so New York and was kinda big timing the small town Hudson people. Then when she decided to stay she kinda took over everything, telling people what to do. 

I really liked her with Peter. I thought he balanced her out well. I thought Lou was unfair to him about the work thing. You have to go where the work is. And she had no problem being away from Hudson when it benefited her. For the past few seasons she's been in New York doing this Maggie's thing and doing exactly what she got mad at Peter for and divorced him over. I also didn't like how the writers manufactured the thing with Peter having a girlfriend after the split. It felt like they did that just to garner sympathy for Lou.

I'm not feeling it with Luke either. He is Georgie all over again. And I remember a lot of people didn't like Georgie when she first came on to replace Mallory. I never did have a problem with Georgie tho. But this new kid just doesn't feel like a fit.

I was really surprised when a season 13 was announced. As much as I love this show it feels like it should be getting to the end.

Edited by Aryanna
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Aryanna said:

I was really surprised when a season 13 was announced. As much as I love this show it feels like it should be getting to the end.

I can't speak to season 12 but season (as I only watch via Netflix), but 11 was not as good as season 10. And from a couple of episodes, I did watch of season 12 (when they were posted to youtube before they were taken down), I agree with you about that new kid. It's not even that he is the Georgie story all over, it's just that his storyline does not fit. The kid actor is not very good either, the actor that plays Georgie is great even as an 11-year-old, she was very believable. I liked Georgie better than Mallory because Mallory just grated on my nerves, she was so whiny.

I also liked Lou in seasons 1-8, then her character takes a turn for the worst.

I do love this show, but it just seems like they should either come up with better storylines or end the show on a high note, maybe with a transition episode with Amy and Ty move into their new house? I don't know, but I hate it when a great show does not know when to take a curtain call.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, free2think said:

I can't speak to season 12 but season (as I only watch via Netflix), but 11 was not as good as season 10. And from a couple of episodes, I did watch of season 12 (when they were posted to youtube before they were taken down), I agree with you about that new kid. It's not even that he is the Georgie story all over, it's just that his storyline does not fit. The kid actor is not very good either, the actor that plays Georgie is great even as an 11-year-old, she was very believable. I liked Georgie better than Mallory because Mallory just grated on my nerves, she was so whiny.

I also liked Lou in seasons 1-8, then her character takes a turn for the worst.

I do love this show, but it just seems like they should either come up with better storylines or end the show on a high note, maybe with a transition episode with Amy and Ty move into their new house? I don't know, but I hate it when a great show does not know when to take a curtain call.

I loved Mallory. Not to say she didn't have her annoying moments but I loved her because she would just blurt things out and get them out in the open and the other characters had to then deal with it. So often on shows like this character 1 is acting different and character 2 doesn't know why because character 1 is going to suffer in silence and that hurts character 2's feelings and character 1 doesn't understand why character 2 is hurt. Mallory just plowed through all of that kind of stuff.

I do like your idea of having Amy and Ty move out. Maybe end Heartland but do a spin-off with Amy and Ty and them working together. Age Lyndy up a little bit and start having storylines around her. It could work, but it would have to be done absolutely right.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
21 hours ago, Aryanna said:

Lou was okay in earlier seasons but in the last several she's been annoying to me. Then again she was always my least favorite character. At the beginning of series she was so New York and was kinda big timing the small town Hudson people. Then when she decided to stay she kinda took over everything, telling people what to do. 

I thought it worked in early seasons.  It was the classic fish out of water story.  It's nothing that hasn't been done before -- one sister is country, one is city, hijinks ensue -- but Michelle Morgan made it work and brought some freshness to the role.  And Lou wasn't a bad person, she was just out of place.  But now she's just terrible, and simultaneously a total Mary Sue. 

I really want to see Mitch (who is such a sweetheart and my favorite man on the show after Grandpa Jack) meet some pretty local woman who isn't nuts (the way Maya was -- spoilers to those who haven't seen season 12) to give Lou some genuine competition.  He deserves better than her, and it's weird how the show keeps trying to convince us that it's the other way around.  It's like, um, Mitch is gorgeous, sweet, hardworking, and devoted, and yet he's not good enough for this self-absorbed woman who is always away?  What am I missing here?

Edited by dubstepford wife
  • Love 3

This is such a wonderful show.

I am currently watching Season 12 and the quality has not diminished although they do go back to old storylines.

What amazed me the most is the color of Tim’s hair! He went from blond to white in the blink of an eye! I guess he just stopped dying his hair!

• Love 2
8 hours ago, The Ringo Kidd said:

What amazed me the most is the color of Tim’s hair! He went from blond to white in the blink of an eye! I guess he just stopped dying his hair!

Yes, that was jarring.  Almost as much as seeing Ty after he cut his hair and grew facial hair way back when - for a minute I thought he was a different actor!

I usually don't watch nice "family" shows, but this one has managed to hold my interest without too much eye-rolling. Partly because it is Canadian, partly because I am a completionist, but mostly for the horses and scenery.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, The Ringo Kidd said:

I don’t know what I am going to do when I have seen every episode!

Start over again at season 1, that's what I do. 🙂

All the actors are so young in season 1, and it's fun to watch them 'grow up' again and again.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

but mostly for the horses and scenery.

Me too, love the scenery shots, and all the snow which seems to fall in some scenes, but in other scenes in the same episode, the sun is out and no snow on the ground. That is the strangest part of this show for me, but I guess mother nature does not abide by the episodes 'continuity'!

• Love 1
3 hours ago, The Ringo Kidd said:

This is our go to show during dinner. Or at right before we go to bed. You don’t want violence and degradation before you go to sleep or to give you indigestion.

I don’t know what I am going to do when I have seen every episode!

I am lame enough to be watching early morning reruns of a series I just binge-watched* (I like falling asleep to True Crime shows, especially if narrated by Keith Morrison), but I digress.  After my marathon Hulu binge, I started on McLeod's Daughters, which was kinda sorta like Heartland Down Under, but devolved into a sudsy mess (which I'm still watching, GODDAMMIT).  My TeeVee watching raccoon Mama prefers it to the Real Housewives ...

* i.e. Heartland

Edited by walnutqueen
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

The Running Scared episode was kinda meh for me. So many tropes in this episode. Somebody gets hurt doing what they love and is afraid to go back to it. How many times have we seen that in TV shows? Georgie not eating to lose weight. I think that trope is older than the one they used on Jade.

• Love 2

The other thing that kills me is the bugs. You see them buzzing around the horses and I know that would drive me crazy. 

The horses and the scenery are very enticing but I don’t know if I could deal with the horse crap smells and the flies.

There is just one big problem. Why does Amy have to look exactly like a young Hillary Clinton?

It’s very distracting!

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, The Ringo Kidd said:

The horses and the scenery are very enticing but I don’t know if I could deal with the horse crap smells and the flies.

Heh.  I am very sensitive to bad odors, but I find the smell of horseshit to be quite pleasant, especially compared with that of other animals.  I don't remember flies being a huge problem back when I had horses in B.C., but they weren't kept in a barn (they had free access to a large open barn).

This show has always been very trope-y, even from the very beginning.  But it's a family friendly show and they tend to not be all that unique, they're meant to be feel-good entertainment that is moralistic.  I don't mind that in small doses.  I do get tired of it eventually and I start craving something with some more depth and realism, but watching this gives you a nice break from the more serious fare.

I do wonder how long they're going to continue though.  Tropes are one thing, completely recycling plots is another.  The actors have been around forever but eventually someone's going to leave.  I thought Ty was a goner when he was in Mongolia, I felt like that had "they're going to kill him off and make Amy a young widow and mom to a new baby" (speaking of tropes) written all over it, so I was surprised when they didn't.  Thirteen seasons is a very long time, and I won't lie, I'm losing interest.

On 11/7/2019 at 4:54 PM, walnutqueen said:

After my marathon Hulu binge, I started on McLeod's Daughters, which was kinda sorta like Heartland Down Under, but devolved into a sudsy mess (which I'm still watching, GODDAMMIT).

OMG McLeod's!  I *loved* McLeod's!  (Until season six.) 

• Love 3

I love recycled plots. So does Hollywood because that’s what you get with every medical show or police procedural. I have already seen it on Adam12 or Ben Casey so enough already.

I really loved Bonanza  and Gunsmoke and this show gives me the same feel. I have had enough serial killers and I don’t need to see that stufff. If I want to see monsters I just turn to the Real Housewives.

• LOL 1
On 11/11/2019 at 7:26 AM, walnutqueen said:

Fuck me to tears - I am just starting to watch Season Six!  ;~(

Recycled plots, only they flush counter-clockwise.

I'm so sorry.  I hate to be the bearer of bad news.  McLeod's was kind of like Game of Thrones if you watched that -- seasons 1-3 were amazing, 4 and 5 were pretty good, 6 and 7 were where things started to go downhill, and season 8 is absolutely awful. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 11/12/2019 at 6:34 AM, dubstepford wife said:

I'm so sorry.  I hate to be the bearer of bad news.  McLeod's was kind of like Game of Thrones if you watched that -- seasons 1-3 were amazing, 4 and 5 were pretty good, 6 and 7 were where things started to go downhill, and season 8 is absolutely awful. 

Sorry not sorry, but I loved all 8 seasons of Game of Thrones. 

As nonsensical as this may sound, the more ridiculous McLeod's becomes, the more I am loving it.  I'm starting S8 now, and am laughing so much!

Heartland, on the other hand, remains stubbornly sweet and somewhat insipid, which only works for me with this particular show.

On 11/15/2019 at 1:03 PM, Aryanna said:

Not a fan of Peter's goatee. He looked good with a beard tho.

That goatee looked like a bad bikini wax.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

Is anyone else thrilled that Luke is gone? So out of place and just pointless, I hate it when a show will just start repeating itself with story lines. I won't be surprised if he is back in the future though. The show is a little character heavy too.

• Useful 1
On 11/20/2019 at 2:16 PM, Kfir said:

The show is a little character heavy too.

I went back and started watching some season 1 episodes on Netflix and the horses were a lot more prominent. It has always been a character heavy show but has gotten more so in recent seasons. Don't get me wrong, I still love the show. 

They keep trying to get me to care about Lou and Mitch and I just don't. I so don't. I still like Peter but I guess they're never gonna get him and Lou back together. I like Peter better than Lou. If she went back to NY and Peter stayed that would be fine.

Are there any Canadians on this thread? Is season 13 gonna be the last season? Again, I love the show but I'm thinking it may have run its course. But I'm a completionist and I gotta see it through to the end.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Aryanna said:

I went back and started watching some season 1 episodes on Netflix and the horses were a lot more prominent. It has always been a character heavy show but has gotten more so in recent seasons. Don't get me wrong, I still love the show. 

They keep trying to get me to care about Lou and Mitch and I just don't. I so don't. I still like Peter but I guess they're never gonna get him and Lou back together. I like Peter better than Lou. If she went back to NY and Peter stayed that would be fine.

Are there any Canadians on this thread? Is season 13 gonna be the last season? Again, I love the show but I'm thinking it may have run its course. But I'm a completionist and I gotta see it through to the end.

I actually liked Caleb and Ashley when they left it was like the true heart of the show died. He is back now but he isn't the same. Sidelined too much. 

I think it has kind of run it's course. We are seeing the same stories repeated now. How many more times can they adopt a kid (basically a Mallory replacement) how many more times can someone fall down a well or a horse get sick etc 

I was never that interested in Lou, Mitch was kind of interesting but he has been sidelined too now. Believe it or not I am very late to the show and binged watched the first 12 seasons! I am having trouble still being into it with this one though. 

• Love 1
On 11/20/2019 at 12:16 PM, Kfir said:

Is anyone else thrilled that Luke is gone? So out of place and just pointless, I hate it when a show will just start repeating itself with story lines. I won't be surprised if he is back in the future though. The show is a little character heavy too.

I am so glad to hear this, because I just watched the latest 2 new episodes on UP, and it looks like Ty & Amy are taking creepy little Luke on as a foster kid. Blech!

• Love 1
12 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

I am so glad to hear this, because I just watched the latest 2 new episodes on UP, and it looks like Ty & Amy are taking creepy little Luke on as a foster kid. Blech!

LOL I thought I may have been the only one to notice how creepy Luke is. I can see him setting up webcams in Amy and Lou's bedrooms! Happy he is gone, he served no purpose at all.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
21 hours ago, Kfir said:

I actually liked Caleb and Ashley when they left it was like the true heart of the show died. He is back now but he isn't the same. Sidelined too much. 

I think it has kind of run it's course. We are seeing the same stories repeated now. How many more times can they adopt a kid (basically a Mallory replacement) how many more times can someone fall down a well or a horse get sick etc 

I was never that interested in Lou, Mitch was kind of interesting but he has been sidelined too now. Believe it or not I am very late to the show and binged watched the first 12 seasons! I am having trouble still being into it with this one though. 

Ashley was such an interesting character. Even after she became nice she was still such a great character. I think about that sometimes and wish she were still a part of the show. From what I understand, she didn't wanna go. They wrote her out for some reason. And I loved her and Caleb together. I wish they were both still on the show and married. 

And you're so right, Georgie and now Luke are just Mallory replacements. I miss Mallory so much. Georgie has grown on me and I never hated her as much as many people did.

Edited by Aryanna
  • Love 4
On 10/23/2019 at 3:00 AM, Aryanna said:

I agree that Lou is a nice looking lady but she's not this hot piece that should have guys fawning all over her. It's kinda like on How I Met Your Mother how Robin's hotness was way overstated.

I really liked her with Peter. I thought he balanced her out well. I thought Lou was unfair to him about the work thing. You have to go where the work is. And she had no problem being away from Hudson when it benefited her. For the past few seasons she's been in New York doing this Maggie's thing and doing exactly what she got mad at Peter for and divorced him over. I also didn't like how the writers manufactured the thing with Peter having a girlfriend after the split. It felt like they did that just to garner sympathy for Lou.

I'm not feeling it with Luke either. He is Georgie all over again. And I remember a lot of people didn't like Georgie when she first came on to replace Mallory. I never did have a problem with Georgie tho. But this new kid just doesn't feel like a fit.

So true about Lou! She has a nice face but body wise her legs are like tooth picks, not really the image I have when I think of a sex goddess. Personality wise she isn't what I would consider charming or alluring either. 

Ashley was hot and Georgie now that she is grown up have it. 

I was always bored with Lou and her take charge mentality. Her intelligence is overstated as well as her looks. 

She married Peter knowing his work meant he travelled then complained about it. Never understood that. 

My other problem with them taking on Luke is that to me they aren't really great parents. The show doesn't allow them to be. Remember when they went off to Mongolia for a horse's mental well being?! Who does that when you have a newborn?! That whole story line was a joke anyway.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2